Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jan 31, 2018 7:23 AM

Sep 2016
anapeach said:
It feels like more than five episodes have passed, so many things happened so far! I feel like I've known these girls for a long long time. I liked the calm before the storm feeling of ok now that everything is settled and they ARE going, everyone can just soak in their perspective of the events, you know. I thought Megu was a little overdramatic but I kinda got it too, I think that must have felt kinda like peak anxiety for her because her best friend was completely escaping from her reach in a pace she couldn't keep up with. I loved how the whole explosion was for nothing though, that's exactly what I expected. Though I'll say, if I was about to leave for three months to like the end of the world and my best friend showed up just to make a scene and make me feel like shit, I would've slapped her right across the face Cher style and just dealt with it when I came home. I mean bitch????? FIX YOUR TIMING

Overall a good episode despite the forced, kind of shitty drama. I'd prefer if she slapped her face and give some kind of short speech. The drama might've worked out better if Megu was already cast as some sort of antagonist in episode 2.

Damn, the parting scene just got me right in the feels, I've been through it once. And I did almost similar what Mari did... walk away with a smile to the plane knowing that I'm going on a journey- definitely a lot longer than 3 months.

IMO, that durian ice cream at the end might be foreshadowing difficulties in Antartica...or in Singapore? due to durian not being allowed on flights...maybe.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 31, 2018 7:52 AM

May 2010
Easily best episode yet. Man, that was hype. Knew Megu was kind of jealous but I am proud of her for admitting everything, that's the important thing. She is finally going in a positive direction herself. Would have been nice if we had a plot twist that she's a main character too but no I guess.
And I am laughing because I am like Shirase, or at least used to be like.
Jan 31, 2018 10:18 AM

Jul 2015
Paulo27 said:
-Stray said:

It did, none of us saw this coming until this episode came in, there were no signs of Mari and Megu's friendship crumbling slowly, it all happened this episode, instantly. Anyways Im saying it came out of nowhere for me, if it didnt for you then.. good for you.
Imagine being denser than Mari. xD

Ummm... I was also pretty aware that something wasn't sitting right with Megu... Those shots of Megu just silently starring, unhappy, made it pretty obvious, at least to some of us. You should probably consider your wording more before posting. Though I should also add that I didn't know how this situation was going to be resolved at all, or to what extent this whole thing was affecting Megu, I didn't think things were gonna go this far.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Jan 31, 2018 10:34 AM

Mar 2014
DuoraDoll said:
Paulo27 said:
Imagine being denser than Mari. xD

Ummm... I was also pretty aware that something wasn't sitting right with Megu... Those shots of Megu just silently starring, unhappy, made it pretty obvious, at least to some of us. You should probably consider your wording more before posting. Though I should also add that I didn't know how this situation was going to be resolved at all, or to what extent this whole thing was affecting Megu, I didn't think things were gonna go this far.
What? I was calling -Stray dense because they somehow couldn't believe this happened.
Jan 31, 2018 10:52 AM

Apr 2016
This, boys and girls, is what a masterpiece in the making looks like. Not a single misstep in the production and presentation in the 5 episodes we've seen. Keep this up, and it'll be easily the best thing I've seen in all my years of watching anime (and probably other visual mediums too).
Jan 31, 2018 10:59 AM

Jul 2015
Paulo27 said:
DuoraDoll said:

What? I was calling -Stray dense because they somehow couldn't believe this happened.

I was replying to -Stray's comment, my bad -w-'

I need to check the people I'm quoting more, saw the original and dug a bit deeper for a more recent reply to give my own opinion.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Jan 31, 2018 12:30 PM

Jul 2017
Just re-watched. A few things I spotted/reminded myself of:

-Fist bump at the assembly 😁
-How did Hinata know how Shirase did at the assembly? I thought she didn't go to school?
-Selling seashells on the seafloor would be hard 😂
-Was that the actual tongue twister in Japanese or did the subtitles pick one that worked better in English?
-Mari is conscious of her arm flab.
-Megumi actually seemed to enjoy herself with the girls at the karaoke in the end. If only she was more involved from the start, even if she wasn't actually going. The jealousy could have been avoided.
Jan 31, 2018 12:47 PM

Jul 2013
Emotional farewell scene at the end T_T
But where was Mari'suitcase when she ran off and at the airport ? Must have forgotten it...
Jan 31, 2018 1:29 PM

Jun 2012
Saw Megu's bitchiness from a mile off. I had a feeling that she was either spreading the rumours, or she was just lying that such rumours existed in the first place. Really, she doesn't deserve to be a friend of hers, Himari is too good for her.
Jan 31, 2018 4:22 PM

Dec 2014
Hibikase said:
Terrible episode!

What is all this melodrama doing in my kawaii moe show??? I want my cute girls doing good things already >:(

Almost got me salty there--had my pitchforks ready.

I'm so glad the situation with Megumi has been resolved. For the past however episodes there have been hints that she was jealous or might have felt left out in some way, and the way it was executed in the end was so satisfying. The timing of "breakup rejected", damn. It was very slightly over the top, sure, but whatever.

The chemistry the characters have with each other is so believable. On another note, wonder where the NGNL reference was this ep.
I need sleep.
Jan 31, 2018 5:43 PM

Oct 2013
There was some foreshadowing in earlier episodes about the situation with Megu-chan. Some of the looks she gave Mari looked a little sad or jealous, I guess it was mainly jealousy. I feel a little bad for her, though she is lacking in character to spread rumors and lies like that about Mari. It does suck to have a close friend drift away like that.

Shirase has a strong sense of justice! She was ready to kick ass.
Jan 31, 2018 6:58 PM

Jun 2016
Considering how in tune Mari is with all of the other characters and how she's able to pick up whenever someone is feeling down or depressed, it's surprising that she never got any of the clear signals that Megumi was giving out.

Megumi allowed her jealousy and insecurities fester to the point where she found herself wanting to hurt Mari. She felt like she was the big sister and enjoyed being the one Mari went to for everything. It kind of reminded me of Hayato from Mayoiga. However, unlike Mitsumune who broke away from Hayato but still tried to be his friend no matter what, I kind of feel like Mari was so caught up with Antarctica that she didn't realize that she was casting aside her friend.

It's almost like in her mind, she was getting away from everything that she hated about herself, but that translated into staying away from Megumi and hanging out with her new friends.

I didn't feel anything when Megumi and Mari were crying though, but hopefully, they'll both be able to get better during the three months and properly face each other.
°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
Jan 31, 2018 8:11 PM

Jan 2013
Since i watched all 4 episodes straight, after 1 week i was like "where is the new episode about girls going to Antarctica?" xD I really got hooked up by this show.
So they are almost leaving, yes!!!
When Mari's friend started saying those rumors about them i had a slight feeling that she made all that on purpose, and guess what xD Not the best thing to listen right before leaving but she handled it well.
That moment when her sister hugged her was so cute and mad the whole leaving scene like x100 better xD And her dad crying in the corner hahah
Can't wait to see their journey.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Feb 1, 2018 12:13 AM

May 2017
This is definitely a great episode, best one so far, that was well done, I almost forgot how good of a show this is, before this I probably still refuses to accept that this is that good.

"Breakup rejected" nuff said
Feb 1, 2018 4:17 AM
Apr 2017
i knew that snake megumi is up to something smh never trust no thots
Feb 1, 2018 7:05 AM
Jul 2018
Megu really is trash. Not a fan of the melodrama, hopefully we wont see much more of it.
Feb 1, 2018 7:53 AM

Oct 2015
I fucking love this anime so much, everything is just sooo good not to mention the strong Love Live Sunshine vibes I feel for this show
Feb 1, 2018 2:27 PM

Nov 2008
Wait, are we really just glossing over the fact that Megu tried to get Shirase robbed? Are the rumours she spread worth focusing on instead of that?

I mean, outside of that I did like this development. I've seen plenty of best friend characters get left behind while the protagonist is off on an adventure with new people and it's interesting to see one of them handle it poorly. Especially in a show about cute girls it's cool that they're not just trying to pander to every preference and instead allowed one of them to disappoint us. And really, it's just a more interesting goodbye than I was expecting.

But still, she tried to cause a million yen of damage. What the fuck.
Nyuu3Feb 1, 2018 2:48 PM
Feb 1, 2018 2:39 PM

Feb 2015
Wow. What a brilliant episode! Just as I was thinking "there's going to be another hurdle before Antarctica", this is the episode they pack and prepare to leave! I'm so glad! Megumi's jealousy was the main point of this episode. That came to an emotional revelation really well. We can't exactly sympathise with her, but it's clear that she was really having trouble letting go of her friend. At least she realised how she was being pathetic! I'm glad they dealt with her character, now we can just be super excited for actually being in Antarctica. Surely we'll be there next episode!
Feb 1, 2018 5:13 PM

Nov 2015
I'd love to get hold of that beautiful song in the Megu "breakup" scene. It fit the mood perfectly. Does anyone know what is is?
Feb 1, 2018 5:52 PM

Nov 2012
I looked up some info on the Japanese Antarctic expedition, and I love how this anime is just in sync with the 59th voyage of the actual real-life icebreaker Shirase too.

Want some free EN TL light novels? Take a look at my loot...→Missing out on an Anime OP/ED? Check the complete collection here...→
Feb 1, 2018 5:58 PM

Mar 2016
I like how Tamaki's sister hug her...

This anime never fails to surprise me, the director is truly good on formulating her own original story, now I'm wondering which director inspired her to create original premise.

still it would be nice if her next project is No Game no Life 2 after showing a lot of them in this anime.
Feb 1, 2018 9:38 PM

Nov 2017
So there's two things I'd like to gush about here for this episode.

First: The comedy in the series is literally gold. It's crazy how they make me crack up every single episode by presenting a very relatable situation in a comedic way. We all know and love the scene with mari's mother where her dad closes the door on her XD. then this episodes quick jab of shirase letting loose and her friends cringing in the background.
--This series has made me laugh more then almost anyother show including comedies because of its relatable subject matter and clever presentation.

Second: Look, what megumi did was not cool, but i get it. delivering her characters feelings in this episode was not going to be easy to keep it from being melodramatic bullsh**. Yet, they did it. I can totally feel through those previous lingering shots on her, that she feels left behind. She is just like Mari, except mari somehow pushed past her fear and she still cant. Cmon who doesnt relate to that.
--So when this reaches its climax in the "breakup" i was impressed. She starts with it outright. giving us and Mari a metaphorical throat punch, and what may be most impressive is we fully see how surprised mari is, the animation on her face as shes figuring it all out in her head is astounding. So, we see that with adventure and moving forward past our fear actually will cause some of the pain we were worried about, but do you let that stop you?

--Its tearjerking yet thanks to mari, our friendly protagonist, this isn't a depressing show and no this doesn't stop her. Breakup rejected. Time for Antarctica!

God i love this show.
Feb 2, 2018 4:17 AM

Jul 2016
You know it when the show keeps getting better, that you can't wait to watch the next episode. So yeah best episode.

I already felt that Megumi is feeling unhappy and distant to Himari from the previous episodes. This dropping of break up bond bomb was didn't came up out of no where because of those hints from previous episodes.

This show is not just a trip but a fun adventure that develops the four girls character. Looking forward for the next episode.
Feb 2, 2018 6:53 AM

Jun 2015
I really dislike the melodrame, and probably this wont be the last time, so as precaution dropped, have to admit the idea of teens going to antarctica still makes me laugh cudos for that
Feb 2, 2018 7:52 PM

Jan 2014
This show is pure fun. Also, I live for those drama scenes where someone finally breaks and lets off steam. That breaking point has always fascinated me, and I love it when a show does it right. Of course, if this were reality, those girls would probably not be friends.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Feb 2, 2018 8:05 PM
Mar 2012
Hinata's fine wisdom - let it go.
Mari proves to have grown resilient & strong, overcoming the evilest naysayers.
Previously megane was just a terrible downer giving unmotivated poor advice. Didn't realize she's a much bigger shithead than appears, who spreads false rumors. Do something supportive if you want to feel delusionally superior as some oneesan. The sub arc of her growing jealousy started subtle & was very well done though. Quite liked how Mari shows how generous she is.

Feb 3, 2018 2:01 AM
Jul 2018
forced drama. so cheesy. ugh... i hope we get back to normal programming starting next episode
Feb 3, 2018 5:14 PM
Jul 2017
Nyuu3 said:
Wait, are we really just glossing over the fact that Megu tried to get Shirase robbed?

That's an excellent point. Besides the money and crushing her dreams, it could have come to violence. Setting someone up like that is pretty close to unforgivable.

I guess it emphasizes that in this case, Megumi's the screw-up, and Mari's the one who's bailing her out by forgiving her.
...but then again, I unironically like Warau Salesman.
Feb 3, 2018 5:20 PM
Jul 2017
Farabeuf said:
Megu was really feeling left out and jealous of the thing the Antartica girls had going on. But it wouldn't surprise me if wasn't well received in school either. What is it they say in Japan? 'The nail that sticks out gets hammered down'?

I think this is why the show's spending so much time on the pre-voyage story. They have to establish that it's not just some individual person's odd mania, but it's actually something being accomplished by a group/team and acceptable to authority figures (parents, teachers, scientists.)
...but then again, I unironically like Warau Salesman.
Feb 4, 2018 11:56 AM

Feb 2007
PastFuturist said:
Nyuu3 said:
Wait, are we really just glossing over the fact that Megu tried to get Shirase robbed?

That's an excellent point. Besides the money and crushing her dreams, it could have come to violence. Setting someone up like that is pretty close to unforgivable.

Honestly, the bit about the money was quite a surprise for me, since this happened before Mari even showed any interest in joining Shirase - beyond leaving Megu behind to go to the library, in any case. But I doubt Megu specifically told the bullies to go and rob her. As bad as she was in her jealousy, the worst she otherwise did was spread rumors, so it would make sense that in this case too, she simply let it slip that Shirase had a larger sum of money with her.
Feb 4, 2018 3:11 PM

Oct 2015
Megu's jel was on another level, she could've have asked to join Kimari instead of trying to sabotaged the trip. That was a very emotional scene and I wished she slapped her though for being stupid. Any way its finally time for them to set off to Antarctica, I wonder what adventure awaits them.

This my favorite anime this season because it deals with what I love travelling and friends.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 5, 2018 12:11 AM
Jan 2017
Is it bad I saw something happening with Megumi by episode 2?
I am glad that is was included because that does happen from time to time.
Feb 5, 2018 2:45 AM

Jun 2007
That's some "friend" Mari got. Knew something was coming but this is just too much. To say "it's understandable why she did that" is like to say "he was poor so he robbed a bank", a crime is a crime. I would try to forgive such a miserable back-stabber but I would NEVER allow them back in my life. Mari is an angel.
see you, space cowperson . . .
Feb 5, 2018 4:42 AM

Apr 2013
caio_ken said:
SJ7izm said:
Megu is one of the most toxic types of "friends" one can have.

Megu is also a teenager that had this comportment because of different factors and regret to do it in the final, changing that part of her.

Matters none....
Feb 5, 2018 9:47 AM

Nov 2017
thehund said:
Is it bad I saw something happening with Megumi by episode 2?
I am glad that is was included because that does happen from time to time.

Definitly not... Because it was clearly intended from the beginning which makes that even more brilliant in my book. Every lingering shot on her, and every piece of double edged advice building and leading to its dramatic and heartwrenching conclusion.
Feb 6, 2018 12:59 AM

Mar 2009
Sorvarin said:
That's some "friend" Mari got. Knew something was coming but this is just too much. To say "it's understandable why she did that" is like to say "he was poor so he robbed a bank", a crime is a crime. I would try to forgive such a miserable back-stabber but I would NEVER allow them back in my life. Mari is an angel.

You're judging the situation as an adult. But Megu is a young girl who doesn't know any better yet, not because she's an inherently bad person. She let her jealousy drive her actions. That's an egocentric, possessive behavior. It's a childlike behavior by definition, I'd say. She's a perfect character for a coming of age story about "growing up".
Also, random poor people don't rob banks, that's a myth - well organized and quite wealthy crime bands do.
AlexandepFeb 6, 2018 1:11 AM
Feb 6, 2018 2:06 AM

Jun 2007
Alexandep said:
You're judging the situation as an adult. But Megu is a young girl who doesn't know any better yet, not because she's an inherently bad person. She let her jealousy drive her actions. That's an egocentric, possessive behavior. It's a childlike behavior by definition, I'd say. She's a perfect character for a coming of age story about "growing up".
Also, random poor people don't rob banks, that's a myth - well organized and quite wealthy crime bands do.

I didn't imagine something like that to happen to me in present, I imagined that all to happen to me in my school days of course, for the better judgment. And so I think it's unforgivable to act like that in that age, it's child-like, but they are not children anymore. Her actions are understandable but not justified.
Oh for gods sake mate i know that lol.
see you, space cowperson . . .
Feb 6, 2018 7:26 AM

Oct 2010
Alexandep said:
Sorvarin said:

Actually there is some further reason for Mari to act this way. She felt quite obviously distressed at the confession. Imagine if she had to carry this weight for the entire journey. Forgiving Megumi is a way for her to tie things up before she leaves. Not that she is less of a genuinely great person, but this makes sense also to herself and I can totally understand that she decides to try her best to make this a non-issue when she is about to enjoy an adventure that is so important to her and is going to take her away from home and school for a long while.

About Megumi, I would probably have forgiven her because that's how my personality goes, but I can perfectly understand that Sorvarin doesn't, and many people wouldn't either. It's fine to have these divergences, it shows how different each of us is while not taking away the strength and relatability of the scene.
Feb 7, 2018 2:06 AM

Oct 2012
This episode made me feel things.
Feb 8, 2018 3:19 AM

Apr 2015
Rather tasteless title...I'd have stuck a bit more cryptic title on. Can't say I was completely impressed on the way they handled this, felt they overdid the foreshadowing a little but hey I can understand.

btw I'm the one who always screams when in karaokes...I can't sing for shit and have a bass voice type so it's the only way to do my bit. So I pick shitty nu metal/hard rock songs and scream through it and they always seem to enjoy it for some reason
LanzFeb 8, 2018 3:24 AM
Feb 8, 2018 4:09 AM

Apr 2017
I love the plane ride scene, had so much laugh on it. The last scene though, they're going now to Antarctica.
Feb 10, 2018 3:03 PM

Feb 2013
Obviously the friend wanted her to stay...

The parent's didn't go see their daughter off? What?
Feb 13, 2018 2:18 AM

Mar 2009
Can't help but feel bad for Megumi. She's obviously a very lonely girl. Sometimes when we feel we're losing a close relationship, we end up doing stupid things. And sometimes those stupid things hurt the person we hold dear. Unfortunately, it usually has the unintended effect of straining the relationship even more. Props to Kimari for being such an understanding and kind person.
Feb 17, 2018 6:00 AM

May 2009
Man I shouldn't have cut onions while watching this episode.
Overall great episode yet again.
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Feb 17, 2018 7:15 AM

Nov 2011
I really appreciated this episode which gave me a complete and clarifying overview, a beautiful concept that expressed by the narration. Every episode that passes, I want them more and more good.
Feb 17, 2018 10:54 PM

Sep 2015
ThreePercent said:
-the fuck does mari's family have a diamond-coated frying pan for
It's actually not that uncommon. A coating of diamond dust is used in some non-stick frying pans as a protective coating, since diamond is really really hard.

I think the flashback with the Izuna-tan poster is the only NGNL reference this episode. I don't think that really counts, but oh well.
Feb 25, 2018 4:38 AM

Jul 2009
It was clear that Mari´s friend was jealous.
Mar 2, 2018 6:08 PM

May 2017
This show is so good. and now about halfway through they're off on their journey. Which means some fun fish out of water and the variety show hijinks will ensue. Also, dang megumi way to dump all your garbage at someone else's doorstep.
Mar 4, 2018 1:41 AM
Jul 2018
This episode was just phenomenal...
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2018

383 by hhnnoovvaa »»
Apr 1, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2018

399 by ReyanshManta »»
Mar 29, 10:28 AM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2018

165 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Feb 25, 10:00 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2018

158 by X_Lynn_X »»
Feb 14, 7:23 AM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2017

305 by Vosson12564_cool »»
Feb 13, 4:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.