Anime rated lower than 8 in Mal but you think it deserves way higher

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 28, 2018 6:46 AM

Jan 2018
TurboAutist said:
DuckDummy said:
OreShura

MAL sure is harsh on harem anime. At first glance, OreShura might be one of the many harem shows that we get by dozens per year, but what sets OreShura apart from them is its character development and humor that breaks most harem cliches.
The male protag isn't dense; he's really just focused on studying at the moment because he wants to be a doctor so that he can cure the arm of his osananajimi (aka the harem girl that loses) so that she can participate in kendo again. Also, that ending was a knocker. He actually picked a girl at the end, and not in a rushed way!

I admit I ignored this series back when it was airing because it was a harem, but you made me curious to check it out.

I hope I didn't give out that much spoilers.
Jan 28, 2018 6:50 AM

Jul 2014
Black Jack (OVA)
Texhnolyze
Serial Experiments Lain
RahXephon
Betterman
Take care of yourself

Jan 28, 2018 6:56 AM

Jun 2016
Area 88 OVAs
Digimon Tamers
Gundam UC
Jan 28, 2018 6:59 AM

Dec 2015
Gungrave. Although bogged down by its obvious flaws in the scifi/undead thing and people - especially the game fans - expecting it to be some other epic action/GARfest show, it's one of the few animes that can make you get into the characters' shoes and FEEL so much. I doubt I'd love it so much if it had been something like DMC.

Digimon Adventure and Tamers need moar love too. Digimon ain't just for kids, especially Tamers! Hell, I actually appreciate Tamers much more when I'm older.
"Who wouldn't want to be like me? Handsome and free like a bird in a tree! Badaboom!"
Jan 28, 2018 7:04 AM
Jul 2018
Guilty Crown ofc !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charlotte
Black Cat
Tokyo Ravens
Air Gear
Bleach
Deadman wonderland
K project
Rage of Bahamut Genesis
Gangsta.

Jan 28, 2018 7:07 AM

Jun 2017
Koi wa Ameagari no You ni
of course it's not complete yet but these first three episodes totally proved it's not your typical high school romance with dere characters and cliché situations.
Jan 28, 2018 7:16 AM
Jul 2015
Honestly I do not give a shit about the score have in MAL, the score deserve and the one I feel is correct.

If I would have to give a FAIR example, I could not, given that I prefer a 6.63 rubbish much more than a MASTERPIECE with 9.14.
Jan 28, 2018 7:18 AM

Feb 2017
5cm per second

Does it count?
It has one of the best romance plot in my opinion. It has drama but not sappy, it delivers in melancholic way and somewhat realistic with that bittersweet ending. Visually endearing too
Jan 28, 2018 7:21 AM

Dec 2015
1. Grimgar

Loved the character drama and the different take on the isekai genre

2. Girlish Number

I still have no idea why this is so lowly rated. Chitose's character is amazing and the show had this cynical lens and was always in touch with reality so that set it apart from most other shows.

3. Flip Flappers

The creativity in the audio/ visual aspects of the show alone make this show worth that 8+ score

4. Kekkai Sensen

This show p much nails every aspect of it right, except for storytelling. I can understand why it doesn't have a 8+ because of the messy storytelling but I feel like the show redeems itself with its other aspects. Plus that burger episode is easily one of my favourite standalone episodes ever.
Jan 28, 2018 7:27 AM

Apr 2015
Bananya is somehow at a 6.78 despite being objectively flawless.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jan 28, 2018 7:33 AM

Jun 2017
Amanchu and Tari Tari - Both great slice of lifes with legit character development. They also manage to stay entertaining while still being relaxing at the same time.

Senjou no Valkyria - One of the more under-appreciated shows out there. Great dark story built around a military conflict with maybe conficliting, but still a very good of characters.

HoneyWorks franchise - The first movie is really underrated as it presents one of the better romance stories in only and hour. The second movie is worse, but Itsudatte Bokura no Koi wa 10 cm Datta was once again great.

Then comedies like Blend S, New Game! and stuff like that, but their score is somewhat respectable. A lot of people will like them and a lot of people won't.

Higurashi Gou is the worst anime in existence.
Jan 28, 2018 7:41 AM

Aug 2017
It would definitely be Shiki really only 7.9?

Sure it is slow paced but it's better than a rushed mess, I like how it takes time and builds the world.You can get a mystery vibe from the first episode which is intriguing.

It shows the side of traditional vampire myths and is quite different from the usual approach of vampires in animes like Rosario+ vampire, Blood-C and such.

They explore both the sides and there motives you can hardly dismiss anyone.The decisions certain human beings take can put some people off, but that's what made me like Shiki even more.
Jan 28, 2018 7:52 AM

Jun 2015
Kyousou Giga at 7.9 is a damn shame.
I'd also say Akagi but it's sitting at exacly 8.00 at the time of writing this.
Jan 28, 2018 7:52 AM

Jul 2017
I personally think that...

- Mikakunin de Shinkoukei should be rated higher. I absolutely loved the anime and the comedy and romance were well executed IMO.

- Kyoukai no Kanata. I thought the whole anime was really impressive eventhough it was only 12 episodes long. The story, action sequences, etc were really good.

- SukaSuka. The whole idea of the anime was really good. The soundtrack was absolutely beautiful. The story was absolutely creative and tragic.

Help, I'm hooked into the Fate series (not all) and am obsessed with Shirou x Saber!
Also, forever hoping for a ufotable remake of the Fate route!
Jan 28, 2018 8:05 AM
Aug 2014
Ie Naki Ko that holds a 7.85, it being this low is rather inexcusable.

Texhnolyze holds its 7.78, which is honestly understandable considering what it is, but it should be higher considering how it's one of the greatest anime in existence.

Ojamajo Doremi in which none of its seasons break an 8.00.

Shin Cutey Honey which holds a 6.72, not even breaking a 7.00, which is surprising for MAL standards considering that it's actually pretty fun.

Doggy Poo doesn't even break a 6.00 with 5.82, severely overlooked considering how it's an existential film about a literal piece of shit.

Would say stuff like Akage no Anne and such too, but I don't actually like the series.

Possibly also stuff like Zegapain, but I have to finish to confirm.
KonakanaJan 28, 2018 8:12 AM
Jan 28, 2018 8:22 AM
Feb 2014
Ai no Wakakusa Monogatari
Alps Monogatari: Watashi no Annette
Hanasakeru Seishounen
Inu x Boku SS
Karneval
Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu
Servamp
Shin Shirayuki-hime Densetsu Prétear
Shoukoku no Altair
Sugar Sugar Rune
Tegamibachi + the sequel Tegamibachi Reverse
Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Jan 28, 2018 8:26 AM

Nov 2014
Jormungand, Michiko to Hatchin, Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis, Binbougami Ga!, and Eden of The East which all just barely missed being an 8 on MAL.
Jan 28, 2018 8:43 AM
Jun 2016
Just finished Byousoku 5 Centimeter and I think it‘s alright. Even if the score is just slightly lower than 8, I think a score of around 8.3 should be fine.
Jan 28, 2018 8:54 AM
Dec 2013
Haganai (both seasons)
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka (both seasons)
D-Frag
Akame ga Kill
Btooom
wildhoodJan 28, 2018 9:00 AM
Jan 28, 2018 9:00 AM

Oct 2017
kajquo said:
Isnt Grimgar the one where something about coming from other world is mentioned but its never actually explained or further developed?

The another world setting is mostly for justifying why the mc group is so weak.
If it's a pure fantasy, they wouldn't struggle this much really.

Also I assume maybe the novel will explain the Amnesia of real world memory part later in the story. This is not nearly the full story, so I understand why many stuffs are not explained yet.
Jan 28, 2018 9:03 AM

Oct 2017
romagia said:
like half of them..
8 is too high a bar

Because in Mal 8 seems to be the actual gap between "average anime" to "good anime"

Like nearly every average / meh shows all get a 7.xx anyway, so that's why I pick the number 8 .
Jan 28, 2018 9:12 AM

Oct 2017
ScoobedooYaa said:
-White Album 2 (Really mature take on romance)

-Elfen Lied (Brilliant story , not scared to use nudity/gore moments)

-Gakkougurashi! (Interesting take on zombie genre)

-Hai to Gensou no Grimgar ( believable characters, One of best isekai anime)

-Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The animated series (Character of kino, One of my fav SoL anime)

-Re:Creators (Interesting story with nice action and epic Sawano OST)

-Rokka no Yuusha (Good fantasy series with mystery elements)

Really good titles. I'm really suprised these ones are not over 8 on mal.

Sorry I have to promptly disagree about Kino no Tabi 2017 deserves higher..

This studio is clearly inexperience about how to manage a story with good pacing and conclusion. There're some good episodes thanks to the novel, but it feels flat because of how they present and how they organize the story. Many episodes try to make a point but seems to tell nothing in the end.

I think it's totally reasonable that it gets a 7 cuz they really didn't do a good job if you judge the whole package.
Ventus_SJan 28, 2018 9:42 AM
Jan 28, 2018 9:17 AM
Aug 2017
Absolutely re:creators. I can't explain how much that anime deserves but Mother's Basament did a really good video speaking about how much this anime is underrated
Jan 28, 2018 9:19 AM

Oct 2017
SilentBlaster said:

Charlotte
Black Cat
Tokyo Ravens
Air Gear
Bleach
Deadman wonderland
K project
Rage of Bahamut Genesis
Gangsta.

Kinda agree with Guilty Crown too.

The ending seems rushed, but both the twist and ending is not as bad as some train-wrack like Iron Fortress and Kado the Right Answer.

The production value keeps consistently high, and it discuss some interesting perspective of human emotion too.
Jan 28, 2018 9:22 AM

Aug 2016
While there are several that I feel deserve a higher score than they got, probably the most drastically different ones for me would be these two:

Girls und Panzer - Yeah, I'm probably a little biased toward this one considering I have it on my favorites. Still, it has lovable characters, its world-building is delivered seamlessly, it has a surprisingly good grasp of tactical action, its finale contains one of the more hype climactic fight scenes I've seen in anime, and the premise itself is just charmingly bizarre.

Chronicles of the Going Home Club - On the surface it seems like a typical slice of life club affair, and a mediocre one at that. But not too far in it starts to carve an identity of its own as a self-aware, self-deprecating meta-comedy. The entirety of episode 4, for example, is filled with jabs at the show's own lack of popularity. It's most certainly not gonna be everyone's cup of tea, but I think it deserves more attention than it got.
Jan 28, 2018 9:23 AM
Mar 2014
mitchiko to hatchin

the south american setting was immersive and realistic and the characters were developed and fleshed out well
Jan 28, 2018 9:24 AM

Sep 2015
Grimgar was terrible. I'd say Paranoia Agent.
Your next line is "I was just pretending to be retarded".
Jan 28, 2018 9:25 AM

Apr 2016
Imouto Sae Ireba ii isn’t what most people think. Highly enjoyable and great development and it focuses on the author aspect of things when it comes to light novel creation. Low 8 would’ve been fine for me.
2D > 3D
Jan 28, 2018 9:29 AM

Oct 2017
ItzToxic said:
Imouto Sae Ireba ii isn’t what most people think. Highly enjoyable and great development and it focuses on the author aspect of things when it comes to light novel creation. Low 8 would’ve been fine for me.

Blame author for putting that first 2 mins normie barrier lolz..

https://youtu.be/eFbx9j_Gmdc

It's an instant drop and 1/10 for many people in first 2 mins XD...
Ventus_SJan 28, 2018 9:38 AM
Jan 28, 2018 9:30 AM

Nov 2016
kajquo said:
rokudenashi majutsu koushi to akashic records btw
this one ... + Koutetsujou no Kabaneri , God Eater , Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry and Guilty Crown
Jan 28, 2018 9:33 AM

Jul 2017
Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka
K: Return of Kings
Shingeki no Bahamut
Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e
Zero no Tsukaima

"Do you know why snow is white? 
Because it's forgotten what color it's supposed to be." - C.C.

Jan 28, 2018 9:35 AM

Jul 2017
SAO

This show gets a lot of hate, but I bet if anyone but A-1 animated like if ufotable animated it the show probably wouldn’t be as hated. That’s just my opinion I just notice that a lot of people blast on A-1.
Jan 28, 2018 9:59 AM
Jul 2018
Ventus_S said:
SilentBlaster said:

Charlotte
Black Cat
Tokyo Ravens
Air Gear
Bleach
Deadman wonderland
K project
Rage of Bahamut Genesis
Gangsta.

Kinda agree with Guilty Crown too.

The ending seems rushed, but both the twist and ending is not as bad as some train-wrack like Iron Fortress and Kado the Right Answer.

The production value keeps consistently high, and it discuss some interesting perspective of human emotion too.

Yea , Actually. Aside from the plot. Guilty Crown was perfect in Soundtracks , OST & as an anime from 2011 the Graphics was really good too.

The plot wasn't a cliche one .(or for me) at that time It was unique. I kinda agree that ending had many questions left unanswered ( same with Angel beats for me) But the ending was just a happy and sad one in the same time. Like , Inori is dead , Shu lost his Sight , arm. Many people are dead. Yet, everything returned to the normal once again. Mostly , Guilty Crown isn't a masterpiece in general ( for me it is , but if I consider the general taste of fans then it's not) But getting lower than 8 on MAL while other animes that are much worse getting 8 is just a bit unfair I think xD.
Jan 28, 2018 10:12 AM

Jul 2010
Shigofumi
Aria The Animation
Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma
Seikai no Monshou
Kamichu!
Freedom
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun
So Ra No Wo To
Tamayura
Tamayura: Hitotose
Genshiken
Kemonozume
Bartender
Bokurano
Jan 28, 2018 10:18 AM
Jul 2018
Rokka no Yuusha. And that top review on the front page is so misleading about what the anime actually is. Just saying.
Jan 28, 2018 1:50 PM

Dec 2017
Mirai Nikki. That deserves at least an 8.0 imo. The show had its issues but that final arc was so great and genuine.
Jan 28, 2018 1:53 PM

Dec 2017
Clickbait said:
SAO

This show gets a lot of hate, but I bet if anyone but A-1 animated like if ufotable animated it the show probably wouldn’t be as hated. That’s just my opinion I just notice that a lot of people blast on A-1.

Tbh, I don't think people hate it mainly because of the studio. Most of the reasons why I've seen people hate on it is because of the gary stu protagonist and harem fanservice.
Jan 28, 2018 1:55 PM

Mar 2015
alias08 said:
It would definitely be Shiki really only 7.9?

Sure it is slow paced but it's better than a rushed mess, I like how it takes time and builds the world.You can get a mystery vibe from the first episode which is intriguing.

It shows the side of traditional vampire myths and is quite different from the usual approach of vampires in animes like Rosario+ vampire, Blood-C and such.

They explore both the sides and there motives you can hardly dismiss anyone.The decisions certain human beings take can put some people off, but that's what made me like Shiki even more.

Agree with Shiki. Imo it deserves at least 8.5
Jan 28, 2018 1:57 PM

Oct 2017
yourbraveshine said:
Clickbait said:
SAO

Tbh, I don't think people hate it mainly because of the studio. Most of the reasons why I've seen people hate on it is because of the gary stu protagonist and harem fanservice.

Yeah, SAO has potential to be a good anime if Kirito doesn't exist.
He's such a poorly written one dimensional character that exist for the sake of plot progression .

Another thing being SAO tend to be insulting my intelligence every time I watch it too.
Ventus_SJan 28, 2018 2:05 PM
Jan 28, 2018 1:59 PM
Sep 2017
Aldnoah. Zero (only 7.6/10)

I couldn't believe this when I found out, I thoroughly enjoyed the show.
Jan 28, 2018 2:01 PM

Nov 2016
Sakamoto desu ga?
Amagi Brilliant Park
Aria The Animation
Sakura Quest
Golden Time
Plastic Memories
Isshuukan Friends
K-On!
Shonan Junai Gumi
Samurai Flamenco
Shakugan no Shana
Shingeki no Bahamut
Shigofumi
Ace wo Nerae!
Watamote

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 28, 2018 2:06 PM
Jul 2017
R.O.D the TV is criminally underrated. I liked the prequel OVA for its animation and action, but the TV really sealed the deal on this series for me. It has some of the best character development I've ever seen in any show, and despite the crazy, outlandishly sci-fi world they live in, they're the most realistic characters I've seen as well. Even the main antagonists are fleshed out enough to where you can sympathize with them to an extent. They truly believe they are doing the right thing for the world, and while the "good guys" are right in the end, they've also done some terrible things. I won't spoil anything, but Yomiko really makes you question the whole "good guy/bad guy" point of view. None of the characters are fully good or evil; instead, they actually feel like believable human beings. It has its pacing flaws here and there, but I'd at least raise its score to a 9/10.
Jan 28, 2018 2:14 PM

Jul 2015
Kekkai Sensen because it's well-directed, has heart, is funny, has good characters, good art, is well-animated, feels unique and handles some classic themes in a really good way imo.
BoiiiiiiiiiiJan 28, 2018 2:17 PM
Jan 28, 2018 2:25 PM
Jul 2018
There are alot beside other user posted here. I mainly think most title that deserve 8+ but couldn't reach unfortunately because those title wasn't aim for wider audience/ or for specific audience.

I think Hai to grimgar deserved more imo because I felt the same character drama impact as I experience in MiA but not sure why their rating different is so massive.. (even though both anime ended the same manner!)

Also Muteki Kanban Musume deserve higher imo although its not even 10K viewed yet but I feel the same comedic nature as Gintama+FMPf. But difference that those who haven't watch any Gintama episode might not like it even more(especially the parodic humor style).

EDIT

Shigofumi also comes in mind as well. The story concept was interesting and the soundtrack was just phenomenal.But 25K finished TV show while 7K watched the special episode which much needed because I dont think finishing the TV show alone doesn't leave good impression unless watching that special episode(which is regard as 13th episode). This way I think this show becomes terribly or criminally underrated.

Other anime: Project K - which actually manage to balance style with substance and packed with well-rounded characters. However, when it comes to plot device / character motives / ending, most viewers might get confuse or dislike unless they haven't read plethora of light novels and manga. ,

removed-userJan 28, 2018 2:51 PM
Jan 28, 2018 3:06 PM
Jul 2018
Ventus_S said:
kajquo said:
Isnt Grimgar the one where something about coming from other world is mentioned but its never actually explained or further developed?

Also I assume maybe the novel will explain the Amnesia of real world memory part later in the story. This is not nearly the full story, so I understand why many stuffs are not explained yet.

I get it but still... I was waiting for it to be similar to Log Horizon where they actually try to find their way back home.
Jan 28, 2018 3:10 PM

Oct 2017
kajquo said:
Ventus_S said:

I get it but still... I was waiting for it to be similar to Log Horizon where they actually try to find their way back home.

Log Horizon got like 50 episodes...

This one got like 12...

Sigh, where's our 2nd season...
Jan 28, 2018 3:28 PM

Oct 2017
SkyDrop said:

I think Hai to grimgar deserved more imo because I felt the same character drama impact as I experience in MiA but not sure why their rating different is so massive.. (even though both anime ended the same manner!)

I can even argue that character-development wise, Grimgar surpasses MiA by a landscape. The actual character development of MiA doesn't really happen in this arc, but rather in the upcoming 2nd season.

But I can sort of understand why MiA is more popular and highly rated because the general story is paced better, and story progresses much faster, with a much better first episode too. Characters are less realistic and more likable in first impression too, which appeal to wider audience.
Ventus_SJan 28, 2018 3:33 PM
Jan 28, 2018 3:35 PM
Jul 2018
Ventus_S said:

But I can sort of understand why MiA is more popular and highly rated because the general story is paced better, and story progress much faster, with a much better first episode too. Characters are less realistic and more likable in the first impression too, which appeal to wider audience.

Especially adding another episode with double length in MiA makes huge difference in terms of character development and pacing. Yeah that's what it had the foremost advantage beside other things.

Jan 28, 2018 3:36 PM

Sep 2009
It's the other way around; most anime deserve a 5 or lower, but tend to be at 7 or 8
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jan 28, 2018 4:09 PM

Jul 2017
I think:

Lovelive
Jintai
Oreimo (s1)
Demichan
Working!!
TARI TARI

should be at around 8, for how good they are.

I expect some more playful anime, like Nyaruko and Twintail, should have higher score too.

Also food commercial anime (e.g. Dagashi Kashi) and Moe anime (e.g. the munmy show this season) should have higher score too.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

215 by ISeeLifePeople »»
25 seconds ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 1 hour ago

7 by BitChilly »»
27 seconds ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 7 hours ago

24 by Coaghim »»
40 seconds ago

» Favorite characters you think are Sadist, Masochist, or Switch

IpreferEcchi - 8 hours ago

5 by Otakupervert890 »»
8 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

31 by MadanielFL »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.