Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 12, 2018 5:21 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This was an interesting episode. From that catchy OP song to the character cast and colorful world setting, it seems like a show that I think has a lot of potential.

The way they introduced the characters so far is interesting, almost all of them stand out in some way or another especially Dakki with her dark intentions. I'm even interested in knowing more about Taikoubou with his character role.

Quite interesting for an episode overall.
Jan 12, 2018 7:25 AM
Apr 2016
see the raw...
amazing and i'm feeling nostalgic all over again...
definitely gonna read the manga again...

but seeing the OP, does that mean we wont reach choukoumei arc?
Jan 12, 2018 9:09 AM

Aug 2008
Mystearia said:

I highly doubt so, since seeing their previous trailers it seems that they are probably going to end it with the Sennin WW arc... (Especially with all those scenes where Fugen is in it, urgh. ;;)
I might be wrong, though. :/

Forum set is a gift from Bunnyama
Jan 12, 2018 10:18 AM

Aug 2008
is necessary to see the other version as well...?
just notice is an alternative version also o.0
The spider is watching
Jan 12, 2018 10:20 AM

Feb 2011
Shino said:
Mystearia said:

I highly doubt so, since seeing their previous trailers it seems that they are probably going to end it with the Sennin WW arc... (Especially with all those scenes where Fugen is in it, urgh. ;;)

Well Chou Komei's arc came just before the Sennin War arc, but given the episode count, they may or may not exclude it.

dany_elle1908 said:

Not really, the other is just the first adaption that was done in 1999 before the manga finished. It's a separate work from this adaption all together.
solazoraJan 12, 2018 11:02 AM
Jan 12, 2018 11:07 AM

Aug 2008
solazora said:
Shino said:

Well Chou Komei's arc came just before the Sennin War arc, but given the episode count, they may or may not exclude it.

dany_elle1908 said:

Not really, the other is just the first adaption that was done in 1999 before the manga finished. It's a separate work from this adaption all together.

thank you very much for the reply...then i will be checking the first ep when will be subbed :)
The spider is watching
Jan 12, 2018 11:56 AM
Jun 2012
So I'm assuming this is a new remake of the story not a continuation or something like that?
Jan 12, 2018 12:10 PM
Jul 2016
As someone new to this series, this wasn't a fun watch. The pacing was so fast that it took way too much effort to try and keep track of what was going on. I'm sure if I had watched the previous version or read the manga, this would have been a great recap episode for a sequel but I think people need to know that going in. This by itself was terrible.
Jan 12, 2018 12:14 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Not sure if this was a remake or a continuation but it was interesting to say the least....Pacing felt super fast though
Jan 12, 2018 12:31 PM
Jun 2016
So far rather interesting.
Jan 12, 2018 1:06 PM

Mar 2013
It felt really rushed, to the point that it looked more like a recap episode.
Jan 12, 2018 1:12 PM

Aug 2017
Dakki was a bit more hottest in the previous series. It felt like a rewatch to me only with modern animation, the pacing might be hard for some but I kinda knew already the outcome so it was alright to me.
Jan 12, 2018 1:19 PM

Dec 2014
Not sure how to feel about this one yet; think I might end up getting into it after a few more episodes. The premise was understandable enough, but yeah the pacing was super fast.
Jan 12, 2018 1:25 PM

Jan 2008
Might just be me but the visuals did not age well imo and honestly don't look good in this modern day HD. Felt like they should have modernized the designs it a bit more.

Also FALILV doing the OP feels really out of place with its heavy electronic music.

Well, not like I remember much of the original anime, only saw bits and pieces of it as a kid and never touched the manga.
Jan 12, 2018 1:41 PM
Sep 2016
OK.. So I'm like 7 minutes into the episode and besides FALILV having a cool OP song.....well
Is there something else I should have watched or read before I started watching this or are the character introductions and pacing just that poor?
Just curious if I missed something...haven't really heard of this till recently this season
1.1.Six
Jan 12, 2018 1:49 PM

Nov 2010
I have watched the original series back then and loved it. Still can sing the intro from memory too. I've also went through about 1/3 of the manga.

I have to say that so far, I'm quite disappointed with this remake.
The OP is... well, noise, basically. Autotune noise, with no connection to the story, no meaning. Throw a stick and it will land on a piece indistinguishable from this OP.
(original OP for comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFxiv08qBno)
The character designs are lacking and flat at worst and somewhat matching original at best (Dakki to illustrate the former and, I guess, Supushan for the latter). Colours look like they were applied in MS Paint though.
Plot-wise it seems fine, it was just one ep so hard to say.
The only thing I can honestly say was good is the backgrounds, which were really quite nice. Which only served to highlight the chasm between them and the Paint-like quality of characters in the foreground.

All and all, at least for now, this remake looks to me rather.. soulless. Compared to the former adaptation that is.

Jan 12, 2018 2:06 PM

May 2015
I haven't read the manga, but yeah, this episode was pretty rushed, I liked it though. The manga has 23 volumes (204 chapters), so in order to understand story development better, I hope they make 2 seasons to adapt the series. It would be a shame if they're planning to adapt the whole stuff in just 23 episodes.
Jan 12, 2018 2:14 PM

May 2009
The scenery is really beautiful but... wow the story felt so rushed. oO
Jan 12, 2018 2:19 PM

Aug 2015
I like the new character designs, I hope this is a continuation of the last anime.
Jan 12, 2018 2:24 PM
Mar 2017
For now it seems a cliche anime, Gary stu and a world self-insertion (as they explained very little)
As someone who did not see anything from the manga / 1999, I must say that it is like "what is this? ...
the last time I saw something similar was in an anime of Chinese origin, and as in that, this puts that humor that does not like anyone
The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Jan 12, 2018 2:24 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
i liked it this first chapter...yes, it was a little rushed, but i suppose for to be more "attractive"!!! :/
Jan 12, 2018 2:25 PM
Jul 2018
I remember watching the old version after this new remake announced (although couldn't finished all sadly because the dub were kind of bad) and I can say this remake introduced the first episode quite interesting way and cut some comedic stuff but they changed here Shen's interesting characteristics alot, which was something only dissapointing for me. I think it kind of rush but that's fine with me for here because it ended well enough.
The OP was way too good and the quality and some soundtrack was great too. It's just fascinating to see how this adapting from classic 1990s manga. Overall great start imo. Nice to see this listed as 2-cour too.

removed-userJan 12, 2018 2:29 PM
Jan 12, 2018 3:49 PM

Sep 2015
Just watched the first episode of Hakyuu Houshin Engi. I would not recommend this anime as of now. Already, the problem I have with this is the pacing. Both are directed in a way that is similar to Magical Circle Guru Guru (2017), except every comedic moment falls very flat. The story progresses as such a rapid speed that it is hard to process what is going on and get a good understanding of the characters. This remake anime of an old Shonen Jump series does not seem to know what it is trying to be. I am probably going to give this a few more episodes to see if the story slows down and gives time to get interesting, but I will likely just read the manga or watch the original anime adaptation.
Jan 12, 2018 4:41 PM
Nov 2009
Wait didn't they cut out the part where he fights Dakki's sister and reverts her to her true form (lute) and thats like the whole reason he got invited into the palace in the first place?
Jan 12, 2018 4:55 PM

Jun 2014
Hell that was rushed. So many plot skips that could've been animated...

Some evil villain: "Hey I'm going to execute you and all of your people" -> fighting starts, then five seconds later -> skip to MC waking up from the fight and "Hey I rescued you while dumping your clothes there to make it look like you died, oh and I also made another exact copy of your clothes", why... just why...

The setting and the characters looked interesting, but the pacing is stupid.
Cazador75Jan 12, 2018 4:59 PM
Jan 12, 2018 5:18 PM
May 2017
How Does This Have 7.38 ???
It's so Bad and Rushed (I'll Keep Watching Just Because it Can Always Get Better) .
Jan 12, 2018 6:12 PM

Jan 2014
Rushed, yes. But funny and interesting? Also yes.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Jan 12, 2018 6:13 PM
Jan 2018
BEST ANIME ON-GOING LONG SERIES?
Jan 12, 2018 8:15 PM

Oct 2012
Soul Hunter was a great series so I have high hopes for this. I agree, so far it's really way too rushed. I do seem to remember it taking awhile for me to get into the original too.
Jan 12, 2018 9:05 PM

Jan 2013
damn they crammed 5 episodes worth of storyline into one
Jan 12, 2018 9:12 PM
Sep 2016
JudoJD said:
OK.. So I'm like 7 minutes into the episode and besides FALILV having a cool OP song.....well
Is there something else I should have watched or read before I started watching this or are the character introductions and pacing just that poor?
Just curious if I missed something...haven't really heard of this till recently this season

Never mind.. Only made it to 10 minutes and it's a remake.. Think I'll pass
1.1.Six
Jan 12, 2018 9:13 PM
Sep 2016
I'm just kinda pissed that Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas got wasted on this anime... They deserve better
1.1.Six
Jan 12, 2018 10:22 PM

Aug 2014
Goddamn no joke that went fucking hyperspeed. I assume they just wanted to get the party together ASAP. No way they can keep this pace going.
Sieg Zeon!
Jan 12, 2018 10:46 PM

Nov 2013
Just like everyone says, it was too rushed. I suppose they did it that way to make it different from the 1st version.
I believe the next 2 or 3 episodes are going to be the same.
Jan 12, 2018 10:49 PM

Dec 2011
it's 23 episodes and they rush like it was a 10 episodes serie. Even 10 episodes serie don't rush like that.
I read the manga 10 years ago maybe so I was hyped to watch it but I'm really disappointed.
Jan 12, 2018 11:42 PM
Jul 2012
Did they really cut out Dakki's sister? What's the point then lmfao

I know they wanted to adapt the later arcs where paopei powers get crazy like jojo stands but if you're rushing through the first arc like that idk. You can't do the fmab thing when barely anyone read that manga/watched the old anime in the first place
Jan 12, 2018 11:50 PM

Aug 2008
It probably doesn't bode well when I would rather follow and root for cruel empress exterminating people for fun instead of the usual loudmouth twat in stupid gloves who is bound to pull some amazing power out of his ass. Have fun riding that moomin, I think I'll pass.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jan 13, 2018 12:01 AM

Sep 2011
Holy crap this pacing is too much. I read some of this manga way back and liked it but I'm seriously not sure if this adaptation is worth watching.
Jan 13, 2018 12:16 AM

Oct 2011
Hopefully the next episode slows down. ....
Jan 13, 2018 12:55 AM

May 2010
Kinda messy until the raining scene. Hey at least Kokutenko is now warp capable, great improvement :X
Jan 13, 2018 1:19 AM
Sep 2015
This is surprisingly bad, I hate when such a brutal story told by fujoshi gimmick. 20 years ago there's no establishment of fujoshi-bait fanservice yet, but you can tell from male:female ratio. But since this story 'death' is not the end of the journey since soul system existed it may not be that brutal, I think...
Jan 13, 2018 2:11 AM

Dec 2016
I get that they have to adapt 206 chapters into 23 episodes, but man this series just seems like an average shounen that definitely is more a work of its time, but instead it was readapted for now so what can you do
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 13, 2018 2:34 AM

Jan 2018
I didnt read the manga or watch the old show ( if they have one ) so this ep was ok for me
Jan 13, 2018 2:56 AM
Nov 2015
Another Chinese-themed with Chinese scenery anime is 12 Kingdoms, which has absolutely boring art. This one is visually more beautiful, hope its story too.

And it looks like the 2nd best old anime remake, with those high cheekbones and pointed nose, behind HunterxHunter. I haven't watched Hajime no Ippo, or Ushi to Tora. It looks really clean, the color is good, the only part I dislike is the too fast and effect-laden fight scenes.

And oh god the Chinese-inspired scenery is so god-damn beautiful. Definitely has one of the best China town ever in anime. Like, it's no generic China town, even the brown walls made of stones and civilian houses look so authentic, and the palace is fantastic, the roofs and walls are in a really nice shade of yellow and red.

Oh damn, the throne room, which is really hard to make, previously in some old animes, they just add random yellow and red and blue. But the details here are so exceptional, and the blue glow at the back of the room is sooooo gooooood.

There's one scene of a pagoda towering over the lake at dusk, which looks exactly like West Lake in Hangzhou.
Sean_NessmanJan 13, 2018 3:18 AM
Jan 13, 2018 3:22 AM
Aug 2010
Whats with that crazy pace.. everything that happened in the first episode was enough to make at least 12 episodes. I miss the days where you could enjoy shonen at a nice steady pace and take time to apreciate and discover the characters. I'll check the original work I think because it all look interesting but I doubt Ill make it past 3 episodes of the anime if it keep rushing everything like this
Jan 13, 2018 3:55 AM

Jul 2017
Paul said:
Might just be me but the visuals did not age well imo and honestly don't look good in this modern day HD. Felt like they should have modernized the designs it a bit more.

I though the same. That and the rushed pace are making it pretty difficult for me to get into this. Shame because the setting seems interesting.
Jan 13, 2018 4:08 AM

Dec 2015
Antanaru said:
It probably doesn't bode well when I would rather follow and root for cruel empress exterminating people for fun instead of the usual loudmouth twat in stupid gloves who is bound to pull some amazing power out of his ass. Have fun riding that moomin, I think I'll pass.

Well, really? I was always for Daji too, hoping that there was something more behind her scheme (it even happened). But Taigong (the ermit) is supposed to be a "stupid twat", they cut out thebeginning but most of his achievements are made through "ass-pulls" where the young looking old hero ends up doing the less possible (especially fighting) himself.
The character is supposed to be a strategist (in the chinese classic), not a soldier.
Jan 13, 2018 5:25 AM

Aug 2014
The pacing is so fast. This could be like 3 episodes instead of one. I can't be bored by the suddenly change of tones so fast like that.

And the sad thing is that I really liked the characters and setting, but it was so rushed that I couldn't be bored by it...
Jan 13, 2018 5:42 AM

Nov 2009
Wow, this first episode was literally the embodiment of 'super uber rushed'. Forgone introductions, development, transitions... it's like half a season was forcefully condensed and squeezed into one episode. Is this a Chinese show? Because the aforementioned is the peculiarity characteristic mostly of Chinese anime and why some (not all but a good number of) Chinese titles are off-putting.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Jan 13, 2018 6:31 AM

Dec 2008
Don't like the animation, compare to old series this one have poor graphics.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hakyuu Houshin Engi Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

3 by Chaos-Zero »»
Jan 11, 10:47 PM

» How is this different from the 1999 series? Is it a remake?

Zen98 - Dec 19, 2022

0 by Zen98 »»
Dec 19, 2022 8:02 PM

Poll: » Hakyuu Houshin Engi Episode 17 Discussion

Stark700 - May 18, 2018

8 by Konani »»
Apr 7, 2019 3:41 AM

Poll: » Hakyuu Houshin Engi Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 9, 2018

14 by Konani »»
Apr 6, 2019 9:51 AM

Poll: » Hakyuu Houshin Engi Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2018

21 by Konani »»
Apr 6, 2019 8:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.