Forum Settings
Forums

Watching too much shitty anime drained my desire to watch anime

New
Dec 11, 2017 12:01 AM

Dec 2015
Last year I forced myself to watch every single show that came out on 2016, needless to say there was a lot of terrible shows. Shortly after finishing this madness I stopped watching shows completely, since september/october.
One has to wonder, has watching too much stuff saturated me from watching anime? Either that or anime was just a phase
FranDec 11, 2017 10:58 AM
Dec 11, 2017 12:06 AM

Jun 2014
Fran said:
Last year I forced myself to watch every single show that camed out on 2016, needless to say there was a lot of terrible shows. Shortly after finishing this madness I stopped watching shows completely, since september/october.
One has to wonder, has watching too much stuff saturated me from watching anime? Either that or anime was just a phase

Both. You are drained with under 200 completions so you could argue while you were a fan, it was a phase in the fandom or you could probably say forcing yourself to watch every anime that releases in a year is incredibly self destructive.

Fans come and go. No shame in leaving.
Dec 11, 2017 12:09 AM

Apr 2016
Pretty sure it's a phase. You'll stop watching anime eventually. It was nice not knowing you.
Dec 11, 2017 12:11 AM

Jan 2013
But why.. nevermind. You might want to take a break and then just watch something good if you ever feel like it. As for the last question, it can be both.
Dec 11, 2017 12:15 AM

Feb 2016
Forcing you to watch anime isn't a good ideal and obviously you would get burnout. I say you should take it easy and only watch show you interested in. If that doesn't help, take a break from anime.

There's no shame for leaving if that what you want to do.
Because we're stupid that we love to have fun
Dec 11, 2017 12:19 AM
Jan 2016
I think the problem was that you forced yourself to watch everything. Take a break, come back after a while and then pick a show or two that actually interest you to see if you feel better about it. But yeah, no shame in leaving if you think that's what's best for you. Watching anime shouldn't be a chore, lol.
Dec 11, 2017 12:24 AM

Oct 2017
I mean honestly at this point it needs to be a banner on MAL since so many people force themselves to watch bad series. One watch what interests you just doing for the sake of doing is going to make any hobby feel like a chore. You should feel invigorated or at least mildly entertained. I am starting to keep up with seasonals for the first time but I am still only watching those shows I think that will be interesting.

I think watching too much stuff did oversaturated you but ultimately taking a long long break might help worked for me. If you don't come back nothing wrong with that either I know other hobbies I grew out of maybe anime is that for you. Still just take a year break certain hobbies like anime for me start to make you feel like your missing something after a while especially if its a life long hobby. Also maybe rewatches of old series might bring you back after a long break rewatching Dragonball helped bring some old memories back maybe the same for you.
BilboBaggins365Dec 11, 2017 12:28 AM
Dec 11, 2017 12:25 AM

Mar 2015
Why would you force yourself to watch every show that comes out in a year jesus christ dude. It's probably just a phase though. I suggest you take a break from watching anime, and if you find something that really interests you go ahead and pick it up.
Dec 11, 2017 12:45 AM

Dec 2014
I mean, I turn off whatever I consider to be shit and I still love the medium.
Or anime was just a "phase" to you or whatever. Fuck who knows man, watch anime or don't. No need to have a crisis over it.
Dec 11, 2017 12:55 AM

Mar 2016
I'm just a guy who procrastinates so much that I stopped watching them at the moment, though I'm now trying to keep up with the people since watching anime actually helps me to prevent procrastination, but it's freaking hard to comeback, especially I'm not really that interested even though I know there's a lot of quality anime this year.
Dec 11, 2017 1:55 AM

Oct 2017
Seems like you have. Take a break and come back when there are a number of new anime you're actually interested in watching. No need to force yourself into watching every anime out there.
My Anime List < Have a good day! > My Manga List
Dec 11, 2017 2:08 AM
Aug 2017
Why did u watch the shitty anime ? And its too much ?
If u call it shitty why did u watch it ?
Still cant understand
Dec 11, 2017 2:17 AM

Nov 2017
You're at the ''anime burnout'' phase. It's not nice when you watch anime like a chore. You can take a break, or if you don't want to leave this medium, try watching older anime, there are plenty good ones prior 2010s.
Dec 11, 2017 2:27 AM
Nov 2013
Probably more you burnt yourself out by watching a bunch of bullshit, it's never a good idea to watch, doubly so if you're trying to finish, everything from a given season cause 80% of everything, in general, will just not be in your wheel house. The only way to really get over it is to just take a break, or rewatch some short shows you really enjoy.
Dec 11, 2017 2:29 AM
Oct 2015
I can't really sympathise with you since I never force myself to watch anime, since personally for me it's a relaxing moment where I don't have to be stressed. While you're not in the mood for watching anime you should find another hobby that may help with your recovery from your 'burnout'.
Heckle was here...
Dec 11, 2017 2:29 AM

Apr 2014
Why would you even do that in the first place.
I get drained just watching 7 or show anime a season, let alone all of them for every season a year.
Dec 11, 2017 2:38 AM

Aug 2014
perfAlien said:
Still cant understand

Self torture masochists have never been never felt so good.

It literally me when watching shitty anime and Manga a month ago.
Except when I actually found it shitty I'll balance it with something else.
If it become too boring I'll just skim it up or practically fast forward on the whole episode to see the ending.

To TS you should just take a break
Dec 11, 2017 2:43 AM

Feb 2017
Same here. I once watched 10 shows a season and that's somewhat painful to do. Just watch what you like and do not forcing yourself to watch every anime in a season

About the question, it is just a phase i guess
Dec 11, 2017 3:47 AM

Jan 2010
That's why I only watch anime I like and only watch them when I'm in the mood
Dec 11, 2017 3:59 AM

Oct 2015
Just maybe, just maybe, watch shows that has a good reputation instead of a random ass show from the roster of the usual garbage seasonals.

I actually enjoy watching trashy shows, then there is this affect when I watch a well-acclaimed show, feels even better. I'm not tired with anime even with this much entries. Not. One. Bit. If anything, my love for anime had been rekindled furthermore this recent months.

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Dec 11, 2017 4:04 AM

Aug 2015
You see, the point of watching anime is to entertain. when you watch a lot of bad shows of course your going to not want to watch anymore.
Dec 11, 2017 4:07 AM

Feb 2015
This season, I'm only following Blend S and LLSS s2. The former because it's kinda funny. and the latter because I've already seen everything else Love Live so I might as well keep going. I know that there are other good anime coming this season, but those can wait until I actually feel like it. And I dropped Mahoutsukai because there was 1 episode I didn't like. I've stopped giving a fuck at this point and I think this is the best way for me to like anime right now.

When I first came in, I hadn't seen Clannad, Eva, Steins;gate, One Piece, Toradora, or a bunch of other shows that blew my mind. The way I'm doing things now, where I don't watch every show seasonally, helps me to always have backup shows from previous seasons that still feel fresh to me because I don't over-watch.
Dec 11, 2017 4:15 AM

Jun 2010
You should not watch seasonal anime, it can burn you easily, since you start 30 shows and most of them you'll end up hating.

After the season ends, watch the ones you like.
Dec 11, 2017 4:17 AM

Jun 2012
Phase or not. Just do whatever you want, that's the only rule to this life game.
Dec 11, 2017 4:17 AM

Sep 2016
>forcing yourself into watching anime
lol something is wrong with you
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Dec 11, 2017 4:24 AM
Aug 2017
Xaelath said:
perfAlien said:
Still cant understand

If it become too boring I'll just skim it up or practically fast forward on the whole episode to see the ending.

why M ?
I mean if i looking for new title of anime and it seems interesting then i watch it but i realize it shitty anime
I think thats the case, so i dont think its about mental disorder like M or something like that
Thats great thing when u make it balance or skim it because i do the same, but idk if someone forced himself or gerself to watch shitty show
Coz i never forced myself to di that, maybe she/he is little bit "different"
Dec 11, 2017 5:41 AM

Jun 2015
That's for you to know. If you come back, then maybe it's not.
Dec 11, 2017 5:51 AM
Feb 2017
Fran said:
Last year I forced myself to watch every single show that camed out on 2016, needless to say there was a lot of terrible shows.

You gain nothing by forcing yourself to watch shows. This isn't a contest. Watch what interests you and maybe occasionally take a gamble on something unknown.
Dec 11, 2017 8:21 AM

Aug 2014
perfAlien said:
Xaelath said:

why M ?
I mean if i looking for new title of anime and it seems interesting then i watch it but i realize it shitty anime
I think thats the case, so i dont think its about mental disorder like M or something like that
Thats great thing when u make it balance or skim it because i do the same, but idk if someone forced himself or gerself to watch shitty show

I guess so.
I wouldn't have watched a shitty show especially full without skipping in the first place.
Even if i had to fill something it would be the very last from my list.

I am not sure to people but aren't there something else you can do than watching anime when you ran out of tittle? Like playing games, drawing, go out do some activities, social or whatever.
It's better than watching shitty anime.
It felt like eating shit in the place and TS already know it's a shit.
Dec 11, 2017 8:25 AM

Sep 2017
Depending on your completed list, only few are good.....
Eventually, you will quit watching anime. I suggest look for 8 or higher rating on MAL. Or visit my list for recommendations.
Dec 11, 2017 8:27 AM
Aug 2017
Xaelath said:
perfAlien said:
why M ?

I guess so.
I wouldn't have watched a shitty show especially full without skipping in the first place.

I am not sure to people but aren't there something else you can do than watching anime when you ran out of tittle? Like playing games, drawing, go out do some activities, social or whatever.
maybe TS got nothing to do or looking for good thing(s) in that shitty anime ? Even shitty anime isnt 100% shit
Dec 11, 2017 8:29 AM
Jul 2018
If it has drained you, then don't watch anime for some time. Just to be clear, why do did you watch crud anyway?
Dec 11, 2017 9:13 AM

Apr 2015
Fran said:
Last year I forced myself to watch every single show that camed out on 2016, needless to say there was a lot of terrible shows.

Easy solution: Don't do this again. Even the most dedicated of fans don't watch everything that comes out unless they're just insane.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Dec 11, 2017 9:55 AM

Feb 2010
any sentence that goes like 'I forced myself to watch all these anime' is wrong. Why would you do that? Obviously treating anime like work will make you lose interest in it.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 11, 2017 10:02 AM

Jan 2016
This is why I put too much of an importance on what my mood is when starting an anime and I freely drop or put shows on hold too. I can enjoy anime more this way.
Dec 11, 2017 10:06 AM

Jun 2008
Fran said:
Last year I forced myself to watch every single show that camed out on 2016, needless to say there was a lot of terrible shows. Shortly after finishing this madness I stopped watching shows completely, since september/october.

Well when you push yourself to watch even shows that you did feel very interested in it can burn you out since suddenly the experience of watching anime in your brain changes from something pleasant to something more unpleasant and excruciating.
So don't push yourself like that and watch what you enjoy.
Dec 11, 2017 10:10 AM

May 2009
Fran said:
My hunch is, yeah, you sorta tried to press the "press button for enjoyable experience" button too much and now it's kinda broken.

Let it reset itself by giving yourself a break, and don't force yourself to watch stuff you don't want to watch. It's not even about "shitty" anime; it's just about not overloading yourself.

Not to mention that I also have a hunch that watching too many things means that a person only really "notices" the plots that do crazy/thriller things and miss the more contemplative stories, because one is not in a mood to really take in the scenery and the atmosphere.
GlennMagusHarveyDec 11, 2017 10:20 AM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Dec 11, 2017 10:24 AM

Feb 2016
To heal yourself I prescribe a combination 3 medications:
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell (1995)
Akira
Dec 11, 2017 10:49 AM
Aug 2016
>"Last year I forced myself to watch every single show that came** out on 2016"
wtf is wrong with you
Dec 11, 2017 12:35 PM

Mar 2016
No, watching too much crap will give you a distaste for anime.

You need to go back and rewatch shows you really enjoyed or take some recommendations from the anime experts lol.

I don't think it's a phase, I think you're just tired of being disappointed.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 11, 2017 12:46 PM

Dec 2016
Watching everything for the sake of watching everything and having everything added in your list is pointless. You don't even get paid for this! I'll never get why so many anime fans see anime watching like if it was some kind of job or something, something they are hired to do regardless if they want to do it or not and hence they have to do either way.

Dec 11, 2017 12:52 PM
Jul 2018
I did something similar in 2014 (I didn't keep track of what I watched then) and didn't start watching anime again until this year. Give it a break and just watch what looks interesting to you.
Dec 11, 2017 12:54 PM

Oct 2007
Were you trying to prove a point to someone else by going through that kind of self-inflicted torture? Either way you probably need some time to 'cleanse' away your soul. Take a break and if you do want to get back into it again, try to, at least at first, stick to stuff you think you might like.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Dec 11, 2017 3:00 PM
Jul 2018
when will people understand that only a few anime from +2014 are worth watching. people that watch seasonals have 70% chance passive skill to end up like you OP. go for older years. real treasure awaits you, not this magical girl bullshit.
Dec 11, 2017 4:20 PM

Aug 2014
perfAlien said:
Xaelath said:

I guess so.

maybe TS got nothing to do or looking for good thing(s) in that shitty anime ? Even shitty anime isnt 100% shit

I think so lol.
I check out op list there's some anime that wasn't shit maybe it's just doesn't suit his taste also about 50% of his list wasn't quite popular... Or i have never seen it before.
Dec 11, 2017 4:27 PM
Jul 2018
Holy hell dude, that was a terrible idea.
You should just given every anime a 1 ep chance, or look for recommendations.
Dec 11, 2017 4:28 PM
Aug 2017
Xaelath said:
perfAlien said:

I think so lol.
I check out op list there's some anime that wasn't shit maybe it's just doesn't suit his taste also about 50% of his list wasn't quite popular... Or i have never seen it before.
the problem is the anime that u never seen before, is it good ? I mean there are some unpopular anime but unexpectedly its good
Idk about someone's taste, and i dont mind with it even if he/she just a perverted who love hentai or something similiar like that
Dec 11, 2017 4:55 PM

Aug 2014
perfAlien said:
Xaelath said:

I think so lol.
the problem is the anime that u never seen before, is it good ? I mean there are some unpopular anime but unexpectedly its good
Idk about someone's taste, and i dont mind with it even if he/she just a perverted who love hentai or something similiar like that

I am not sure it's good or not but the tittle never showed up on my recommendation.
After i chec
Dec 11, 2017 4:55 PM

Aug 2014
perfAlien said:
Xaelath said:

I think so lol.

I am not sure it's good or not but the tittle never showed up on my recommendation.
After i checed it, some of it does have a range of 5-7 even 8 but rated low compared to avg Mal score.

More topics from this board

» Has there been an anime fanbase that hyped up their anime so much that you were turned off from watching it?

Alpha_1_Zero - 5 hours ago

10 by Phosphophyllita »»
24 seconds ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - 46 minutes ago

7 by Horizon248 »»
5 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Today

50 by luckyrune »»
11 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 12 minutes ago

0 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
12 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 22 minutes ago

1 by rohan121 »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.