Forum Settings
Forums

What anime series were you so hype to watch but turned out to be aweful?

New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Nov 12, 2017 3:48 AM

Jun 2015
Biggest disappointment for me is fullmetal alchemist brotherhood and toradora
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Nov 12, 2017 3:51 AM
May 2015
So far, Hajimete no Gal. I hoped it would be funny, it was just boring.
Nov 12, 2017 3:57 AM
Jul 2017
Ousama game, sooooo interesting consept, but it failed soooo hard
Nov 12, 2017 4:07 AM

Jul 2013
Subete ga F ni Naru and Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku.

For the first one I already watched some episodes of the live action of it first (it came before the anime) and it was really interesting. But the anime just... The dialogues and cases aren't as interesting as it. The pacing is really slow and the dialogues are obscure and boring, less than what I expected. Also despite me liking the culprit at first, I'm not the fan of the revelation of the case and the ending.

For the latter, I really like the main character and the source material ( vocaloid/utaite music video and the manga) but I guess the anime doesn't have enough budget and time slot to live up for it...
toumei_Nov 12, 2017 4:12 AM
Nov 12, 2017 7:30 AM

May 2016
Chu Feng: B.E.E.
I thought this shit was going to be great. But this shit sucked so bad, I somehow didn't dropped it and watched it to the end
~ Nas, The "OG Bulgarian"~
Formerly known as:
~ Gokuvich, The "OG Bulgarian"~
Nov 12, 2017 7:35 AM

Apr 2017
Stein's Gate. I put it off for a very long time and when I watched it, it was disappointing as hell.

Same for Kimi no Nawa, but I kind of saw that one coming.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 12, 2017 8:00 AM
Nov 2015
Would have to be Re Zero but it wasn't trash or awful, just ok and...massively overrated by the community. Definitely wasn't a masterpiece or anything.
Nov 12, 2017 12:45 PM

Jul 2017
Probably Dies Irae because I'm a history nerd and it involved magical Nazis. Was given a story that literally nobody was able to follow because of how disorganized it was.
Nov 12, 2017 1:53 PM

Sep 2009
Busou Shoujo Machiavellianism and Renai Boukun. The mangas were interesting, but the studios butchered the adaptation.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Nov 12, 2017 2:05 PM
Oct 2016
Jigoku Shoujo:Yoi no Togi, i wouldn't say it was that awful but it got me pretty much disappointed as it's previous season specially when it was revealed to have 12 episodes but turns out 6 of those episodes were the plot for the new season, the rest of those episodes were old episodes from previous seasons so it felt like a waste of time watching it.
Nov 12, 2017 3:41 PM

Jun 2013
agathaRJ said:
Jigoku Shoujo:Yoi no Togi, i wouldn't say it was that awful but it got me pretty much disappointed as it's previous season specially when it was revealed to have 12 episodes but turns out 6 of those episodes were the plot for the new season, the rest of those episodes were old episodes from previous seasons so it felt like a waste of time watching it.

I totally agree with you! Jigoku Shoujo is one of my fav anime and when I got hyped because the trailers and the new character, the return of Tsugumi and things things, things, everything turned awful. The story was told too quickly and the new arc end didn't make sense at all. Of course, the wors was that thing of just 6 new episodes and the rest random episodes from other seasons...
Nov 15, 2017 1:56 PM

Jun 2016
Shuumatsu no Izetta, The Perfect Insider and Durarara.
***roaming the vast anime universe***
Nov 16, 2017 9:00 AM

Jun 2016
Most of anime in the TOP 50 that I've watched (because people won't leave me alone) were so disappointing.
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
Nov 16, 2017 9:03 AM

Aug 2015
The second part of Shingeki no Bahamut Virgin Soul. Loved the first season and was enjoying the second until it all went to shit.
Nov 16, 2017 9:11 AM

Apr 2015
Cowboy Bebop... I was so keen to watch that anime but just couldn't get into it. Very disappointing considering the hype all round. I wouldn't recommend it.
Nov 16, 2017 3:20 PM

Dec 2014
Trinity Seven is the most recent one. It's not really that horrible, just generic. I wanted to watch some harem comedy with a bit of action, and I've seen it being praised. Then it turned out to be bland battle harem that is very forgettable. I've seen it 2 months ago, and can't remember it (not even sure if I've left it at 10/12 or 11/12 episodes). Only thing I can remember is that Sora had potential to be the best girl - and she kinda is, though she had way little screentime...
Nov 16, 2017 7:08 PM

Aug 2013
Before it aired, I thought Glasslip would be a beautiful, maybe even a inspiring, slice-of-life. Sigh.
Nov 16, 2017 8:16 PM

Apr 2017
The most recent one would be Kakegurui. It sounded like Kaiji with cute girls, but was nothing of the sort.

The girls were ugly as sin.

The gambling was incredibly boring.

The solutions all seemed like total asspulls because the audience is not privy to the same information as the players.

The main character is totally unrelatable and has no real personality beyond having a gambling fetish.

The stakes are made in such a way that the main character can't lose the majority of the time, and there's no real consequence to losing in the one case she actually does.

The characters are all one dimensional and unappealing.

It was overall pretty boring in spite of how over the top they make all the reactions.
Nov 16, 2017 8:24 PM

May 2016
Dynamic Chord.

The cover looked super cool and i was super hyped to obsess over the guys.

But when it came out the animation was shit, characters were shit, story was nonexistent and for a music anime, had the worst soundtrack in an anime. Boku no pico has a better op.

Nov 16, 2017 11:28 PM

Dec 2009
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Crystal

I'm a big fan of the original version of the anime and was excited about seeing how it would be without all the filler and better animation . . .

T_T there were times that I almost stopped watching it. It wasn't even the CG transformations and moments of horrible quality in general, but the characters didn't have the same charm as they did before. I missed the sister like relationship that Usagi had not just with the other scouts but with Luna. It kind of took it self way too seriously and felt dry.

The only thing I feel was better was the relationship between Usagi and Mamoru, but that's because of the writing of the manga. (their relationship in the original anime version was a mess and Mamoru was at times my least favorite characters; but that is a rant on a different topic). Their relationship was one of the saving points for me and why I eventually finished the series, despite how much I can't stand most of the R ark.

Nov 18, 2017 12:00 PM

Oct 2017
Black Clover without a doubt,to me the episode 1 just fine,the scene of the protagonist awakened suddenly kinda touched,but after that it'd got worse and worse and turned out to be completely shit now
Nov 18, 2017 12:10 PM

Nov 2017
Bakemonogatari isn't awful, but it's certainly not my cup of tea. I ended up bored as hell and the hype prior watching it was unreal. I watched every single season and unfortunately, none of them surpassed the first one, so as a whole, I'd say Monogatari series was it. Kill la Kill and Gurren Lagann are also anime I didn't like despite the hype and believe are both extremely overrated.
Nov 18, 2017 12:15 PM

Jan 2014
I was so hype to watch the second half of Fate/Apocrypha thinking it would get better. However, it's one of the worst shows of the season imo.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Nov 18, 2017 12:17 PM

Oct 2014
Giant Robo the animation
Aoi Bungaku
Mawaru Penguindrum
Otaku no Video
Ninja Scroll
Diebuster
Paprika
Oruchuban Ebichu
Lovely complex
Chirin no Suzu
Shiki
And Kimi no Wa

Full moon wo Sagashite was also something I was hyped for but so far it's very disappointing. Won't drop it though.
Nov 18, 2017 12:21 PM
Jul 2018
SpadesofAce said:
Black Clover. The MC's voice acting destroyed the show lol

This yeah. And there are so many (unchanged) stock cliches yet, it's almost endearing to watch. XD
Tho I like the design of these magic knights or what they are called.

Project K. I don't get it. What do people see in it? Why did I know so many (especially girls), who hyped that?
I dropped it after 7 or 8 episodes. The cast was way too huge. I didn't care about anyone there after 7, 8 episodes and that's really rare for me (besides that Yata has a cool fighting style and character design, but I can't care about HIM), also Neko and the prota are so fucking annoying imo and so is the very, very cheap Fujoshi pandering and the overwhelming percentage of male characters - because it feels so superficial to me and I don't care about the characters at all. They are all annoying, I can't help myself. .__."
Say, did I watch this wrong or something? From a wrong perspective / point of view or something? Is there an important deep thing, I miss or can't see? XD
I was hyped at first, because it's eye candy Urban Fantasy.

Koi to Uso. The premise sounded so cool and then I got a protagonist with no redeeming personality and qualities, who...

Those are called TEENAGER HORMONES. You are horny. *cough*
"You suck." - The gay one.

IntrovertedWeeb said:
Kabaneri, first episode was pretty cool, but it went down hill from there.

Tho I finished it and even scored it with 7, because the premise with that train and especially the art were good. ^^
removed-userNov 18, 2017 12:40 PM
Nov 18, 2017 12:24 PM

Sep 2016
I was hyped for Sousei no Onmyoiji, but the characters in the show are so bad, and half of the episodes in the show are useless to the story which isn't that bad imo.

Still it could be better if they follow the story from the manga.

Nov 18, 2017 12:24 PM

Nov 2012
RedInfinity said:
Lovely complex

This show had some really contrived stupid drama.
Nov 18, 2017 12:26 PM

Aug 2009
Recently for some of the new anime that's airing, that would be King's Game. I'm sure there are others, but to be honest my memory isn't so good about what i ended up getting disappointed about. Some of the stuff on my dropped list is probably some of that.
Nov 18, 2017 12:27 PM

Oct 2014
SuperRed said:
RedInfinity said:
Lovely complex

This show had some really contrived stupid drama.

I'm glad that someone agrees, especially someone with 'red' in their username. I guess great minds think alike ;)
Nov 18, 2017 12:29 PM

Jul 2016
Sword Art Online,this anime is terrible.
Nov 18, 2017 12:34 PM
Jul 2018
Shoujo Kakumei Utena. Turned out to be my most hated animu ever.
Nov 18, 2017 12:36 PM
Aug 2017
KonoSuba
Boku no Hero Academia
Fate/Apocrypha
Nov 18, 2017 12:41 PM
May 2017
I was expecting something to come out of Fuuka, since people said "Something not cliché will happen that will change the entire story".

It didn't happen, it was just mediocre throughout the 12 episodes.
Nov 18, 2017 12:43 PM

Jun 2013
Not a series but the Under the Dog ova was a huge disappoint for me. Not only was it advertised to be a unique and great original anime that turned out to be uninteresting and generic but also not a single scene from the first trailer showed up in the ova and was completely different from what was advertised.
Nov 18, 2017 12:53 PM

Jan 2017
For me it has to be TTGL. People said "IT'S A MUST WATCH!!!" "IT'S AS EPIC AS JOJO" I barely finished that shit
Nov 18, 2017 2:20 PM

Sep 2014
Little Witch Academia for sure. I was really looking forward to it because the Movie and OVA where great. The show overall felt too long as in empty as parts. Just overall meh. Also while the story is all about Akko learning she never actually learns her lesson.
Imagine the underdog story like BnHA but when Deku says he wants to become a hero he just lays down watching TV and eating ships, while stating "sure would be neat to be a hero"
Imagine Goku getting bored by searching dragonballs and doing nothing because the journey is too long.
Imagine Gurren Lagann but they go back under the earth because its too dangerous outside.

Also Re:Creators. While it had potential it was utterly wasted. Also that anime had THE WORST MC from recent years.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Nov 18, 2017 4:03 PM

Feb 2017
Anohana.

I had a buddy of mine tell me it was crazy sad and really well done. It's not that I didn't like it but I was expecting SO much more.
Nov 18, 2017 4:10 PM

Feb 2015
Duck Tales.

Oh wrong thread...

Guess we need a Duck Tales thread.
Nov 18, 2017 4:14 PM

Nov 2016
Kizumonogatari - I just don't get the hype nor the high score on MAL. I got so bored during it that I went to wash my dishes halfway through
Nov 18, 2017 4:15 PM

Jun 2015
there's a certain show....that's airing now......it's great
Nov 18, 2017 4:41 PM

Jul 2015
symba71 said:
Pirate said:
everything after 2011, but to be honest, i wasn't expecting much

lots of excellent shows appeared after 2011

kabaneri and erased seem like top candidates for this thread, I would like to chip in an Under the Dog

Didnt watch the gambling show, but at

Erased: Until about a certain event around epsiode 6/7
the plot went from awesome to downhill. The whole tension was lost there. Thats when I started to read the manga, if it would become better, got dissappointed, that this wasnt the case and got even more dissapointed, that the adaptation became even worse than the original. :>

@ Under the dog: I actually was stunned by the short movie, but the problem was, that it was just too short and in retrorespect the premise was a bit dumb (seriously which country would allow such a soldier system, where the whole family gets killed, if they fail). Reminded me a lot of the old 80s series though.
Nov 18, 2017 5:10 PM

Mar 2016
Re:creators, the summery sounded nice but the whole Anime was very bad. AoT,the further the story progresses the worse he became. SukaSuka, after reading the novel I had high expectations but the anime adaption was horrible.
Nov 18, 2017 5:23 PM

Oct 2016
hands down Koe no Katachi, I heard great shit about it and was hyped as fuck...

turns out it's just an average romance with great animation and soundtrack.
Nov 18, 2017 5:26 PM

Feb 2017
Mahotsukai no yome prequel. I thought it was good because the ratig is 8+ , but it turn out to be so dull. No difference as a drama tv show with all the bullshitness. 50% of the rating is 8,9,10 but actually is not that good. MAL community rating is a joke.

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Nov 18, 2017 5:38 PM
Oct 2016
Berserk 2016. That manga will never get the adaptation it deserves
Nov 18, 2017 5:51 PM

Apr 2013
Gurren Lagann. Though it was a mecha, it was also by Gainax, who have produced some pretty entertaining anime in the past - and some pretty good ones like FLCL. Over-the-top series get boring fast for me.

Attack on Titan. This was around the time when I took my first hiatus from anime. It was pretty decent to start with, and what it lacked in originality and ambition, it made up for with willpower. But by the latter half, I was getting pretty bored and irritated by the overblown, meandering nature of it, and when I ended up falling asleep during episode 17, I figured it was time to drop it.

Was expecting to like Texhnolyze because SEL and Haibane Renmei, but it's way too grotesque - even for me - and the darkly hopeless was a bit too much for me. I also felt like it wasn't going anywhere fast, so I dropped it after a few episodes.

Omelettecat said:
Umineko no naku koro ni. I watched higurashi, its sister series, and loved it. Naturally I figured umineko would be great too. Boy was I wrong.

Thankfully, the VN is really great - I personally like it more than Higurashi, though i'm only through the first Higurashi VN atm.

WTC 5 soon?
Nov 18, 2017 5:56 PM

Jul 2014
Chaos;Child. Chaos;Head was one of my first anime and I loved it a lot. Chaos;Child was even more inconsistent than its predecessor.
"Most anime makers are basically autistic" - Hideaki Anno
Nov 18, 2017 7:14 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
Sword Art Online (my own fault, that was before I started doing my own research)
Show by Rock S2, since season 1 wasn't that bad I had hoped s2 would be the same or better.
Dragon Ball franchise, I really wanted to like it but I seem to be incapable of doing so.
Nov 19, 2017 5:30 AM
Jul 2018
Thrust said:
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
Horrendous in every aspect,watching that show was as exciting as watching the wall paint dry.
Also,it is a 24 episode long show,I felt like my flesh is decaying and falling off my bones.

*me reading the thread* Let's take a look at it. I always liked the uniform design and the title. Why do people mention that so often? Is it really that bad?
*me after 3 episodes* ooh boi, Kirito called. He wanted you to give him the Gary Stue title back! X.x I guess, there is nothing wrong and I won't miss anything by dropping that thing? :'D
removed-userNov 19, 2017 5:37 AM
Nov 19, 2017 5:37 AM

Apr 2017
Just DIES IRAE. It is such a cool world setting. Order of the 13 something from the 3rd Reich awakening and the MC needs to stop them. They could have made such a great anime with that setting. I was so hyped after episode 0, but until now we haven't seen a thing. And it's even worse. They made up some really unnecessary 'facts'.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» If you had to watch one of the animes in the top 50 of MAL with your family, which one would you choose and why?

ToastWithNutella - 9 hours ago

31 by alshu »»
46 seconds ago

Poll: » Who is the hottest anime mom? (beware of spoilers)

Shizuna - Apr 16

33 by Bruh69XD »»
11 minutes ago

» Do you take screenshots of Anime ( 1 2 )

ST63LTH - May 5

52 by Bruh69XD »»
13 minutes ago

» This has been the worst 6 weeks of anime I have seen in a long time. ( 1 2 )

StateofOhayo - Yesterday

66 by alshu »»
14 minutes ago

» Do we need more 30 year old waifus?

Catalano - May 4

48 by FanofAction »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.