New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Nov 4, 2017 8:47 PM
Jul 2018
Probably Yang Wenli from Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Nov 4, 2017 9:13 PM

Aug 2015
SpadesofAce said:
Lelouch and Light are indeed manipulative military strategic geniuses. But so is Yoshino from Zetsuen no Tempest and the twins from NGNL

Wooo *(^o^)/* Zetsuen no Tempest and NGNL
I think the twins are slightly less since without each other they're not functional.

mpjbjtod said:
Hikigaya Hachiman is also smart in many ways of life. πŸ˜‹

Hachiman was very self-aware and philosophical. I wouldn't say he's the smartest since he inaccurately assumes others' emotions.
RiceHoeTunaNov 4, 2017 9:27 PM
Can I touch you? Please I love you. Let me touch you, I love you!
Friend: How's school? Me: School gave me debt and my plant mold.

Nov 4, 2017 9:13 PM

Jan 2017
Haven't seen that many in particular, genius protaganists, so I'll have to say Shirou from Log Horizon lol.
Nov 4, 2017 9:20 PM
Jan 2015
Tatsuya probably, his intellect is basically super human.
My Queens

Nov 4, 2017 9:21 PM
Nov 2016
Hana_Poko said:
SpadesofAce said:
Lelouch and Light are indeed manipulative military strategic geniuses. But so is Yoshino from Zetsuen no Tempest and the twins from NGNL

Wooo *\(^o^)/* Zetsuen no Tempest and NGNL
I think the twins are slightly less since without each other they're not functional.

mpjbjtod said:
Hikigaya Hachiman is also smart in many ways of life. πŸ˜‹

Hachiman was very self-aware and philosophical. I wouldn't say he's the smartest since he doesn't inaccurately assumes others' emotions.
You are right. But he is very believable and grounded in a sense and smartness doesn't only means tricks and manipulation and also means self awareness and understanding yourself at least according to me. 😊
Nov 4, 2017 9:22 PM
Jun 2017
the second reply sumarize it pretty well
me personally, i'd say Katsuragi Keima from The World God Only Knows
Blank from NGNL and Kira vs L are pretty good too
Nov 4, 2017 9:22 PM

Apr 2017
Hana_Poko said:
SpadesofAce said:

Wooo *\(^o^)/* Zetsuen no Tempest and NGNL

You have a good point lol

Jersie said:
Haven't seen that many in particular, genius protaganists, so I'll have to say Shirou from Log Horizon lol.

That's a good one.
Nov 4, 2017 9:31 PM
Nov 2016
I would say Sora and Shiro from NGNL. Oh, also Light and L from DN
Nov 4, 2017 9:39 PM

Feb 2010
Eirin Yagokoro shes called the brain of the moon for a reason.

she literally made a drug that permanently stops death.

raised an entire civilization out of the dirt.

oh wait protagonist >_>

then Fran Madaraki wait... damn it shes only in a manga ;_;

then i would go with Sora and shiro from no game no life

or Tsunemori, Akane and Kougami, Shinya from psycho pass

GrimAtramentNov 4, 2017 9:44 PM
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Nov 4, 2017 10:18 PM

Apr 2015
Gintokikachi said:
nymi said:
Obligatory death note and code geass main characters answer.
Remember when Kars was said to be 400 IQ? What happened to that?
Kars isn't protagonist.

If it's not limited to protagonist, then I can list many omniscient/nigh-omniscients (Akasha of Type-Moon, Mercurius, etc)
Nov 4, 2017 10:19 PM

Oct 2015
You said:
Gintokikachi said:
Remember when Kars was said to be 400 IQ? What happened to that?
Kars isn't protagonist.

If it's not limited to protagonist, then I can list many omniscient/nigh-omniscients (Akasha of Type-Moon, Mercurius, etc)
I know, I was just mentioning Kars because nymi watch/read Jojo xD

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Nov 4, 2017 10:27 PM

Jun 2016
Natsuki Subaru
Its kinda obvious Light Yagami is the smartest.
Nov 4, 2017 10:29 PM

Feb 2010
Pyxus said:
Natsuki Subaru

i disagree i think he was foolish.

literally chose to destroy his soul robbing himself of the afterlife just to kill people.

not to mention his entire hypocritical ideals
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Nov 4, 2017 10:36 PM

Jun 2016
hazarddex said:
Pyxus said:
Natsuki Subaru

literally chose to destroy his soul robbing himself of the afterlife just to kill people.

I believe anyone who can outsmart L is a genius, I never liked Light but there's no denying he's just a pure genius
Nov 4, 2017 10:38 PM

Feb 2010
Pyxus said:
hazarddex said:

I believe anyone who can outsmart L is a genius, I never liked Light but there's no denying he's just a pure genius

personally i feel the only reason he out smarted L was because the plot need light alive.

Nov 4, 2017 10:42 PM

Aug 2013
There's different kinds of smart, and smart reaches different levels in different universes, so one could be the smartest character in the world in one show, even if the average character in a super OP show is much "smarter". There's no way to compare.
Nov 4, 2017 10:45 PM

Apr 2017
None

>Wasting time over a piece of cardboard

Such a low IQ peasant like you won't even to compare of

-HippySnob-Nov 4, 2017 11:29 PM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Nov 4, 2017 10:45 PM
Jul 2016
Yagami Light from Death Note,Lelouch from Code Geass and Tokuchi, Toua from One Outs.
Nov 4, 2017 11:29 PM
Sep 2017
Just gonna mention Makise Kurisu over here, not necessarily because I think she is the smartest, (let DN and NGNL fans decide that) but hey, when you can build a time leap machine and an actual time machine from a microwave, you deserve a shout out.
“There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground ... and miss."
Nov 5, 2017 12:05 AM

May 2009
Sadly, not many people know Allison & Lillia, but I do and I should give a shout-out to Wilhelm Schultz.

You don't think much of him at first, and he certainly doesn't have anything in the way of magical abilities, fancy moves, or anysuch, but it turns out he's very, very perceptive, and this ability shines brightly in some key moments in the story.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Nov 5, 2017 12:06 AM
Aug 2017
I think the smartest character is L , but close to him would be : Light , Lelouch , Sora and Shiro (NGNL) and Momonga from Overlord which everybody seems to overlook . I haven't seen Monster though so i don't know how smart Johan is . Same for LOGH .
Nov 5, 2017 12:32 AM
Jul 2018
Definitely not code geass protagonist
Nov 5, 2017 12:38 AM

Aug 2017
Dude, obviously it's Keiichirou from Ghost Stories.

Who the fuck else would it be?
Nov 5, 2017 12:41 AM
ε­”ηœŸγƒ»γ‚³γ‚¦γƒžγ‚³γƒˆ

Jun 2017
Oreki Houtarou, in my opinion.

Solving a mystery from the early 1960s and figuring out a writer's ideology is not something that many can do, and I doubt characters like Light, L, Lelouch and Hachiman can do that as skillfully as Oreki pulled off.

When he touches his hair, you know something is about to go down...
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Nov 5, 2017 1:03 AM

Sep 2014
Everyone throws around some lightweights like Light and Lelouch. Ya'll need to expand your horizons more. Some main characters are omniscience or near omniscience, meaning they know all or nearly all about the entire universe which can include multiverses. You have characters like Homura and lain that is nigh omniscient You have Accelerator (was main character in Index II) who has almost infinite calculation prowess with his wings.

Filthy Casuals.
ElegadeNov 5, 2017 1:24 AM
Nov 5, 2017 1:18 AM

Nov 2009
PeripheralVision said:
Are we talking a well written, intelligent protagonist, whose show of intelligence are not merely plot conveniences and hearsay, but understandably ingenious tactics?

...Can't think of any, at the moment.

There is quite a bunch of humanly intelligent protagonists who are well-written. From the video game nerd Kirito from SAO who is frequently brought down because he is an impulsive teenager, to the sly and worldly duo Wolf and Spice, to economics nerd Demon King from Maoyuu who spent hundreds of years studying before she could even begin her master plan to remake the world to her own liking.

Personally, I think Shiroe from Log Horizon is the best of them. Whether it's thinking outside the box, making cunning scams or inspiring others to apply themselves, he is very well-rounded and believable.

TheHonestThief said:
nymi said:
Obligatory death note and code geass main characters answer.

Pretty much this.
OP, there are a solid amount of reallyyyyyy smart anime protagonists, but just stick with Light as the answer. He lacks the "bull-shit" factor more than most.

Light isn't all that smart, you know. He just has a huge advantage with that Death Note of his. But he keeps falling for L's provocations, and the only reason L didn't figure him out is because he was given an extra chance to live by that shinigami.

PeripheralVision said:
SanOro said:

Yang wen-li
Lohengramm Reinhard
Oberstein
...........Basically every "legend of the galactic heroes" character ever

That is my first thought, to be honest.

I dislike Johan Liebert being considered "intelligent" because we never see what he does, but only the results of his actions. That is not intelligent writing to me, because the tactics aren't shown, and anyone can write this or that using that exact method.

"Oh, he manipulated said woman into committing suicide*

Yeah, but how? What did he say, what did he do?

Manipulated a woman into committing suicide? Feh!
Tgurneu from Rokka no Yuusha talked an entire village into becoming slaves for demons. In a single day. We have no idea how he did it, but it does seem within his ability from the other cases where he is shown. He is a villainous mastermind, not a protagonist, though.

KuroudoAkabane said:
that dumb bitch from haruhi asahina mikuru or that other rodo girl are inhumanly intelligent.

are they the protag? is anyone in that show a protag? doesn god himself count as protag even if he is the main char and his actions are more like the Main reason everything's shit and is actually the villians and therefore the antagonist of the whole universe!

Why do you think Asahina Mikuru is inhumanly intelligent? Even her older version doesn't seem that clever.
Sure, Nagato Yuki is inhumanly intelligent (in the same way a computer is), and Suzumiya Haruhi gets perfect marks (but she is the main villain of the series).
Nov 5, 2017 1:34 AM

Dec 2014
Blank, Lelouch (tho' very predictable from viewer point), and Light/L depending on who you consider protagonist.

Besides the most popular and well known ones:
Onii-sama
Nagain Kei
9 (and 12)
and maybe Kusanagi

sidenote: I heard that Ghost Stories has a guy who is like a know-all-do-all category
Nov 5, 2017 1:40 AM
Jan 2016
i would go with yang wwenli , reinhard and johan
Nov 5, 2017 1:53 AM
Mar 2016
Kurokami Medaka, Ajimu Najimi, Naze Youka and Kumagawa Misogi. All of them are pretty smart and there are some other characters in Medaka Box that are really smart as well.
Nov 5, 2017 1:09 AM
Oct 2013
None, because Anime&Manga characters are never written by actual genuises with exceptional IQ they are never authentic.

Furthermore no Author of each medium does make the effort to research the behaviur of actual genuises.
Nov 5, 2017 5:52 AM

Feb 2016
Hikaru Shindou from hikaru no Go

@PeripheralVision

monster: with
SnufkinNov 5, 2017 5:57 AM
Nov 5, 2017 7:06 AM

Mar 2010
Shikamaru Nara

and lmao people say Light Yagami is the smartest.
Nov 5, 2017 7:10 AM

Mar 2010
neon-kun said:
Light Yagami and Conan Edogawa, for sure.

Lelouch? No. Everyone around him were just dumb, and writers wanted to make him look smart with a plethora of plot conveniences.

You can say that with any anime or manga. It's all written or produced by someone who makes the character look smart. That logic is flawed and the same goes with Light during that awful 2nd half. As much as I like Detective Conan, he asspulls himself through a lot of cases too.
Nov 5, 2017 7:18 AM

Jul 2016
If Lelouch is the smartest anime MC, anime is an even bigger mistake than I thought.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 5, 2017 7:19 AM
Aug 2016
>inb4 more typical Lelouch/Light replies
Nov 5, 2017 7:26 AM
Apr 2017
Shiba tatsuya from mahouka koukou no rettousei
Nov 5, 2017 9:54 AM
Jul 2018
Probably Sakamoto. He's pretty perfect at everything so smarts shouldn't be an exception.
Nov 5, 2017 10:42 AM

Dec 2014
flannan said:

Light isn't all that smart, you know. He just has a huge advantage with that Death Note of his. But he keeps falling for L's provocations, and the only reason L didn't figure him out is because he was given an extra chance to live by that shinigami.

People always seem to forget that Light intentionally opted into the battle with L. L was great at working from behind, but Light wanted to kill L. Provocations are part of it, but it wasn't like Light was dancing to his tune the entire time.
Nov 5, 2017 11:35 AM

Jan 2014
Hajime Kindaichi
Kuroo Hazama
Reinhard Von Lohengramm
Sakon Tachibana
Shinichi Kudo
Nov 5, 2017 11:57 AM

Sep 2017
Isterio said:
None, because Anime&Manga characters are never written by actual genuises with exceptional IQ they are never authentic.

I think this logic is flawed. Acording your statement characters cannot be an assassin because the writer was never one, same as a pirate or a hero in some fantasy land.

OT: Blank, Lelouch, Light and L are the obvious answers. But Oreki was also pretty smart within his universe. But I was surprised that Index wasn't listed since she has 103,000 magical texts imlanted in her mind. Altough the anime doesn't shows her stated knowledge really.

“If you live for yourself you’ve only got yourself to blame. So I can’t really blame anyone else and I don’t have any regrets.”

list

Nov 5, 2017 1:57 PM
Oct 2013
aliquae said:
Isterio said:

I think this logic is flawed. Acording your statement characters cannot be an assassin because the writer was never one, same as a pirate or a hero in some fantasy land.

No, the assasins, pirates, ninjas or heros depicted in the media are completely falsefied or inacurate depictions of said concepts and at best different interpretations from the actual or conceptual ones.

However the concept of a genius is something far more simplistic. A smart person with an exceptional IQ. Deus ex machina, creative ideas, vague rules, poorly explained magic systems are not qualifiers for the ingenuity of a fictional character. Following the traditional definition of a genius except in regards to creativity every single author in Anime and Manga fails at said depiction.

Lelouch and Light both use supernatural tools to their advantage.
Shikamaru´s 200+ IQ isn´t ever justified through his actions.
Nami´s ingenuity is limited to her selective photographic memory that only applies towards the geography of islands, despite being the second smartest person within her quarter of the world.
Bulma is exceptional with engineering but fails at what is basic knowledge for essentially idiots, while being the smartest person on earth.

Those are examples of "geniuses" from the most popular Manga of all time and two examples of series that are considered exceptionally smart by dumb people.

Exceptionally smart series with plotlines like that one:
IsterioNov 6, 2017 8:52 AM
Nov 5, 2017 4:02 PM
Aug 2017
I'm pretty sure that the two main characters from No Game No Life were Absolute Geniuses.But stil failed to like able people
Nov 6, 2017 5:28 AM

Mar 2013
flannan said:
PeripheralVision said:
Are we talking a well written, intelligent protagonist, whose show of intelligence are not merely plot conveniences and hearsay, but understandably ingenious tactics?

...Can't think of any, at the moment.

There is quite a bunch of humanly intelligent protagonists who are well-written. From the video game nerd Kirito from SAO who is frequently brought down because he is an impulsive teenager, to the sly and worldly duo Wolf and Spice, to economics nerd Demon King from Maoyuu who spent hundreds of years studying before she could even begin her master plan to remake the world to her own liking.

Personally, I think Shiroe from Log Horizon is the best of them. Whether it's thinking outside the box, making cunning scams or inspiring others to apply themselves, he is very well-rounded and believable.

TheHonestThief said:

Pretty much this.
OP, there are a solid amount of reallyyyyyy smart anime protagonists, but just stick with Light as the answer. He lacks the "bull-shit" factor more than most.

PeripheralVision said:

That is my first thought, to be honest.

I dislike Johan Liebert being considered "intelligent" because we never see what he does, but only the results of his actions. That is not intelligent writing to me, because the tactics aren't shown, and anyone can write this or that using that exact method.

"Oh, he manipulated said woman into committing suicide*

Yeah, but how? What did he say, what did he do?

Tgurneu from Rokka no Yuusha talked an entire village into becoming slaves for demons. In a single day. We have no idea how he did it, but it does seem within his ability from the other cases where he is shown. He is a villainous mastermind, not a protagonist, though.

KuroudoAkabane said:
that dumb bitch from haruhi asahina mikuru or that other rodo girl are inhumanly intelligent.

are they the protag? is anyone in that show a protag? doesn god himself count as protag even if he is the main char and his actions are more like the Main reason everything's shit and is actually the villians and therefore the antagonist of the whole universe!

Why do you think Asahina Mikuru is inhumanly intelligent? Even her older version doesn't seem that clever.
Sure, Nagato Yuki is inhumanly intelligent (in the same way a computer is), and Suzumiya Haruhi gets perfect marks (but she is the main villain of the series).

Literally anyone can write the aftermath of an event that would require cunning and intelligence to cause, it is making a believable method in the first place. Keeping it offscreen is a way for the author to write it without actually putting any thought in it, and I generally call this lazy if the anime truly wants to focus on it.

It is no different than stating a character has an IQ of 1000. It is all inferred ability, not actually shown.
avory said:

@PeripheralVision

Ah, I see. I was more or less referring to the library arson incident with the female pouring the gasoline, but Richard Braun is a great example now that I remember, I suppose. I suppose the corrupt detective earlier may have gotten a retrospective one (The one who help kill Nina's adopted parents), but not quite sure.
Nov 6, 2017 5:36 AM

Mar 2013
aliquae said:
Isterio said:

OT: Blank, Lelouch, Light and L are the obvious answers. But Oreki was also pretty smart within his universe. But I was surprised that Index wasn't listed since she has 103,000 magical texts imlanted in her mind. Altough the anime doesn't shows her stated knowledge really.

I think he stated something along what I have stated, depending on the interpretation of the thread. I abide by the adage "A writer cannot write a character smarter than himself". By that, I would argue that any show of intelligence of a fictional character have to be thought of by the author in the first place, seeing as how said character doesn't exist.

Essentially, one has to understand the intricacies of their intelligence in whatever situation, similar to how an engineer can write an incredibly in-depth look into engineering in his work. As an engineer, he would have to be sufficiently knowledgeable in whatever field he works in.

One can state a character has an IQ of 200, comes from MIT, and builds interstellar transportation. It is another to show that intelligence in work.

No, I am not referring to the scientific discovery of a transporter, but things such as deductive reasoning based on both assumptions and incredible observation, gamblers who don't depend on luck, but rather make do, characters who can make great decisions in battle tactics instead of using a super prototype to destroy whole fleets.

A great thing for me is to limit the assumptions an intelligent character will act on in some cases.
Nov 6, 2017 5:44 AM
Jul 2018
Obviously, Lelouch and Light are strong contenders.

Beside them, I feel like Yumeko from Kakegurui is pretty smart. She was so clever at figuring out her opponent's tricks.

Joseph Joestar is pretty smart too (at least in the street smart category).
Nov 6, 2017 5:46 AM

Jul 2015
The protagonists of the Legend of The Galactic Heroes are the smartest in a real definition of smart.

There is the bookworm smart (Yang)
The prideful smart (Reinhard)
The behind-the-scenes smart (Rubinsky)
and many others...
heck, even Truhnit is a very smart guy for the job he does

They plan their things beforehand, they scheme and they blew up a lot of times due to consequences they couldn't predict. Everyone has strengths and weakness on their way of thinking.

The protagonists have one of the weakest plot shields of anime.

AdrianRubinskyNov 6, 2017 5:53 AM
Nov 6, 2017 5:54 AM

Nov 2009
PeripheralVision said:
flannan said:

Literally anyone can write the aftermath of an event that would require cunning and intelligence to cause, it is making a believable method in the first place. Keeping it offscreen is a way for the author to write it without actually putting any thought in it, and I generally call this lazy if the anime truly wants to focus on it.

It is no different than stating a character has an IQ of 1000. It is all inferred ability, not actually shown.

Indeed. That's why I compared one off-screen feat of manipulation with another.
The people in my answer to your first post did clever things where we were able to see them, though.

PeripheralVision said:
aliquae said:

I think he stated something along what I have stated, depending on the interpretation of the thread. I abide by the adage "A writer cannot write a character smarter than himself". By that, I would argue that any show of intelligence of a fictional character have to be thought of by the author in the first place, seeing as how said character doesn't exist.

Essentially, one has to understand the intricacies of their intelligence in whatever situation, similar to how an engineer can write an incredibly in-depth look into engineering in his work. As an engineer, he would have to be sufficiently knowledgeable in whatever field he works in.

One can state a character has an IQ of 200, comes from MIT, and builds interstellar transportation. It is another to show that intelligence in work.

No, I am not referring to the scientific discovery of a transporter, but things such as deductive reasoning based on both assumptions and incredible observation, gamblers who don't depend on luck, but rather make do, characters who can make great decisions in battle tactics instead of using a super prototype to destroy whole fleets.

A great thing for me is to limit the assumptions an intelligent character will act on in some cases.

I disagree that the author has to be as clever as his characters. An author can think comfortably in his chair while drinking coffee in a timespan of a week, while his characters are fighting for their lives with a mind-numbing horror in a timespan of a few minutes.
With sufficient research, borrowing the knowledge and wisdom of people who thought about the things before, and glossing over minor details that boggle down real life, the author can achieve a lot.
Whether it's inventing gunpowder or building a Dyson Sphere, you can just look it up on the net nowadays.
flannanNov 6, 2017 6:00 AM
Nov 6, 2017 6:00 AM

Aug 2012
Maybe he's not the smartest of all, but Yang-Wenli is probably the greatest military mind I have seen in anime.

Nov 6, 2017 6:08 AM

Feb 2016
PeripheralVision said:
flannan said:

avory said:

@PeripheralVision

Ah, I see. I was more or less referring to the library arson incident with the female pouring the gasoline, but Richard Braun is a great example now that I remember, I suppose. I suppose the corrupt detective earlier may have gotten a retrospective one (The one who help kill Nina's adopted parents), but not quite sure.

Hikaru no Go is an exception to this since the way they show inteligence in that show is through a board game, and to create the matches a lot of old games were referenced and several (semi-)pro go players looked at/helped create the matches. And all matches in that show can be actually played (there's videos of it on YT).
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» According to MAL, what are your anime hidden gems?

NoelleIsSleepy - 31 minutes ago

10 by Entity72 »»
3 minutes ago

» What does it mean when you rate an anime 6? ( 1 2 )

Akuya - Yesterday

92 by AzafuseKingTora »»
11 minutes ago

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Oshieteoshiete4 - Apr 29

232 by Kineta »»
12 minutes ago

» What's the most important feature in an anime for you?

new_Ango - 3 hours ago

13 by KenaiPhoenix »»
24 minutes ago

» Anime that desparately need a Remaster

ST63LTH - Apr 29

35 by phokingbeast »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.