Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 16, 2017 11:36 AM

Jul 2009
No Bump of Chicken?! :( Lol, seriously though the OP and ED animation was really bright and colourful and stylistic this time around! The songs themselves are OK but I think I liked the first season's better. I wasn't a huge fan of the vocalists this time >_< Looks like our first episode is focused on Rei and his new friends in the Shogi Science club :P A bit of a slower pace but good to ease into it. I'm betting this ramune is gonna be his signature energy snack during matches like the two on TV have their own. I found the visuals were a lot more stylistic this episode, like the OP/ED. I want more focus on Shimada and the sisters though! Looks like next episode we probably get to see more of the latter. We have a challenger (new chara) facing Souya as well. Looking forward to where this season will go :D
Oct 16, 2017 4:21 PM
⭐Space Cadet⭐

Nov 2016
Reyna said:
Watching this episode felt like coming back to a warm home smelling like apple pie on a chilly autumn day. I just know I'm going to be enjoying this second season to the utmost!

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Oct 17, 2017 2:57 AM

Mar 2009
Happy to have this one back.
Oct 17, 2017 6:26 AM

Sep 2011
Talcon said:
It was... okay. I was kinda bored during the science lab scene in the second half. I feel like we've had scenes already where Kiriyama stops and marvels about how he now has friends.
Its almost like Rei is suffering from crippling depression in addition the trauma of losing his whole family whilst being treated as a burden by his adoptive siblings immediately after.

Depression aint easy to overcome, if anything rei kind of makes it look easier than it actually is.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 17, 2017 11:09 AM

Sep 2015
Glad this show came back. It deserved a second season. This wasn't a mind bending premiere. But it had shogi (shogi cats no less). It had Kiriyama interacting with interesting characters. It had that fun little diversion about ramune. Someday when people binge watch this show from start the finish. The fact it doesn't exactly open with a bang half a year later will hardly matter.

I'm excited for the shogi to become important again. Amid all the seemingly unrelated SoL. There was some cool set up to the shogi competitions to come. The new character who was munching on cake is already pretty intriguing. But I'm also excited to see more of the girls this time. Who sat almost the entire previous cour out. It seems like from the new OP they're going to get a bit more focus. And I'm here for that. Especially Akari. She was so cute when she tried the ramune at the end.
Oct 17, 2017 1:47 PM

Feb 2008
A powerful experience, as expected. As if the half-year pause weren't even there.

The depiction of the Meijin match broadcast was sublime, particularly as the vantage point shifted towards to Kiriyama and Shimada. It's a given that the setting sub makes everything a lot more appealing, but those scenes were truly something else. They even managed to balance the various dramatic and light-hearted scenes well. A masterful display of contrasts.

Ah, now that I have seen it, I can't help but to look forward to more.
Oct 17, 2017 3:12 PM

May 2016
This was legit specially the op was amazing and the last scene before he left school was the most heartwarming one. 5/5
Oct 17, 2017 9:59 PM

Oct 2016
JizzyHitler said:
Its almost like Rei is suffering from crippling depression in addition the trauma of losing his whole family whilst being treated as a burden by his adoptive siblings immediately after.

Depression aint easy to overcome, if anything rei kind of makes it look easier than it actually is.

That's great and all, but that excuse doesn't work forever. I don't want to be 50, 60 episodes in, and even still we have these same boring scenes, and we brush it under the rug because depression is super serious and all. It's not even the fact that he has depression that bothers me, it feels like he's re-learning something the audience already spent time on. You can't just... reset character growth every 20 episodes.

Your smarmy sarcastic comments aside, that scene was obnoxious to me from a writing standpoint.

The rest of the episode was fine. Overall I gave it a 4/5
Oct 18, 2017 7:57 AM
Feb 2009
Talcon said:
JizzyHitler said:

That's great and all, but that excuse doesn't work forever. I don't want to be 50, 60 episodes in, and even still we have these same boring scenes, and we brush it under the rug because depression is super serious and all. It's not even the fact that he has depression that bothers me, it feels like he's re-learning something the audience already spent time on. You can't just... reset character growth every 20 episodes.

Your smarmy sarcastic comments aside, that scene was obnoxious to me from a writing standpoint.

Rei didn't get to this point until episode 22 it's been one episode since he started his new outlook on life so I don't know how quickly they need to move on from a plot point they established an episode ago
Oct 18, 2017 8:25 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Home Ramune tablets!!! kekeke
Oct 18, 2017 8:40 AM

Apr 2014
so glad to have the anime back, and things are off to a great start but god it's about to be rough having to go through those 2 parts all over again and animated no less (the emotions i had when i read those parts in the manga..) though besides that there are some other things i cant wait to see animated which should be really amazing to see

but all in all great to have the anime back also the op/ed are amazing
"one step at a time"
Oct 18, 2017 9:27 AM

Jul 2014
what a fantastic episode to start it..

5/5
Oct 18, 2017 9:44 AM

Oct 2016
slayer2 said:
Rei didn't get to this point until episode 22 it's been one episode since he started his new outlook on life so I don't know how quickly they need to move on from a plot point they established an episode ago

I would have to go back to earlier episodes, but I'm pretty sure this is not the first time he's come to the realization that he has people that care about him. Not that it matters -too- much if I'm right, it was just something that slightly bothered me. Still liked the episode. Wish people quoting me would stop insinuating I just don't get depression or something like that.
Oct 18, 2017 9:47 AM

May 2015
Talcon said:
JizzyHitler said:

You were really overreacting imo. Can't blame people for calling you out.

Oct 18, 2017 9:49 AM

Oct 2016
Kittens-kun said:

ah, no, I said the scene was boring and implied it was redundant. I don't appreciate people using that comment to explain to me what depression is. In fact, it's a tad disrespectful, don't you think?
Oct 18, 2017 9:53 AM

May 2015
Talcon said:
Kittens-kun said:

ah, no, I said the scene was boring and implied it was redundant. I don't appreciate people using that comment to explain to me what depression is. In fact, it's a bit disrespectful.

And you were overreacting. You didn't even really understand the scene. It was meant to show Rei finally having a enjoyable club experience, or school experience at all for that matter. How is that redundant when it's never happened before?

Oct 18, 2017 9:56 AM

Oct 2016
Kittens-kun said:
And you were overreacting.

oh okay

Kittens-kun said:
You didn't even really understand the scene.

I understand that it felt boring and redundant

Kittens-kun said:
It was meant to show Rei finally having a enjoyable club experience

Yes, I already knew this, which is why I'm scratching my head why you're telling me I don't understand something, then explaining to me what I already... grasped. This conversation about redundancy in an anime is itself redundant. How meta.
Oct 18, 2017 9:58 AM

May 2015
Talcon said:
Kittens-kun said:
And you were overreacting.

oh okay

Kittens-kun said:
You didn't even really understand the scene.

I understand that it felt boring and redundant

Kittens-kun said:
It was meant to show Rei finally having a enjoyable club experience

Yes, I already knew this, this is why I'm scratching my head why you're telling me I don't understand something, then explaining to me what I already... grasped. This conversation itself is redundant. How meta.

If you already knew that, then you wouldn't have complained about it. It's ok to be wrong dude.

Oct 18, 2017 10:00 AM

Oct 2016
Kittens-kun said:

If you already knew that, then you wouldn't have complained about it. It's ok to be wrong dude.

You can believe these two things simultaneously:

1. I understand what the scene is trying to convey
2. I feel it's been done before

If you need me to explain anything else about how my feelings work, feel free to hmu in PM or my comments section. Thanks
Oct 18, 2017 10:07 AM

Mar 2013
Okayish start but glad it's back.

Loved the amazing visuals throughout the episode. And Rei looks more like to his manga self now I believe.

Eh OP is good but can't best the other two from the prequel. Same goes for ED.

The animation at Akari's lips tho <3
Oct 18, 2017 10:08 AM

Mar 2013
Kougeru said:
I miss BUMP OF CHICKEN doing the themes. Maybe 2nd cour. I really hate how Crunchyroll just calls this "episode 23" for season 1...totally inaccurate -_-.

Spoilers a bit later....

Ah damn. I wanted it to be the other one, haha.
Oct 18, 2017 10:49 AM
Feb 2009
Talcon said:
slayer2 said:

I would have to go back to earlier episodes, but I'm pretty sure this is not the first time he's come to the realization that he has people that care about him. Not that it matters -too- much if I'm right, it was just something that slightly bothered me. Still liked the episode. Wish people quoting me would stop insinuating I just don't get depression or something like that.
my point was that this is a first time he went out of his way to make friends he just started the club in in the previous episode I never insinuated that you don't understand depression. My view is this is one of the first time he's interacting with people who aren't the Kawamoto sisters, teacher or professional acquaintances in a meaningful way.
Oct 18, 2017 1:42 PM
May 2014
It wasn't too long ago that I watched the first season, it isn't one of my favorites but it's still good, since it's in the kind of genre that I enjoy watching.
But the start of this season felt kind of off, the animations are heavily and weirdly artistic (?) unlike the first season, and it did bother me.
All in all the episode felt a bit weird and a tad too slow. Nonetheless did I enjoy the emotions of the protagonist (Am bad with names, lul) towards his establishing every day life.
I'll obviously keep watching and I hope that it comes back to the style of the first season, or even better.
Oct 18, 2017 3:01 PM
Jul 2015
It has been a while I almost forgot how I love this anime but this eps brings all that back ❤
Nice opening but not as much as the 1st one ><
Anyway I just missed those guys so much ❤ welcome back kiriyama >||<
Oct 18, 2017 7:27 PM

Oct 2016
slayer2 said:
my point was that this is a first time he went out of his way to make friends he just started the club in in the previous episode I never insinuated that you don't understand depression. My view is this is one of the first time he's interacting with people who aren't the Kawamoto sisters, teacher or professional acquaintances in a meaningful way.

I already made my point. Several times. Just re-read what I've already wrote on the matter, or follow up in PM/comments sections.
Oct 19, 2017 6:39 PM

Oct 2013
Nice to be watching this again. The change in tone of the OP and ED animation was nice. The drowning metaphor is gone, but the water symbolism remains. Kiriyama is overcoming what's holding him down.
Oct 20, 2017 2:34 AM

Jul 2016
Like the show, he'll take that cake,,,AND EAT IT!!

I recently finished watching the first season of 'March comes in like a Lion' and I thoroughly enjoyed. So imagine my delight when I found out that season 2 came out. I have to admit, this first episode was great, but one tiny hiccup.

Ramune is a summer drink, what they made is sherbet lemon.
ONWARDS! Away from homework and on to more anime!!!
Oct 20, 2017 2:43 AM

Oct 2017
Oh it's back! I expect more of the second season, as it becomes available to the majority.
Rational rations of rational discussions are good!
Oct 20, 2017 12:29 PM

Nov 2011
The beginning of this second season is more than good, it seems to have never ended up seeing this anime series. New characters are quite hilarious. The new opening I like, but the one I most liked is the first opening of the first season. It's always nice to see the three Kawamoto sisters again. :D
Oct 22, 2017 4:57 AM

Jul 2008
DAW Rei had a good day!

We need more happy Rei episodes.

And ending it with the sisters.....I almost had some happy tears.
Oct 24, 2017 1:31 PM

Apr 2014
This new episode feels like a totally different show to me the animation and just overall mood/tone of the show seems so much different then before. I feel like they have taken out the deeper meaning/plot from before. I didn't enjoy this episode but I'm willing to watch a few more its disappointing to me the show seems to be taking a different direction. The new opening is soooo different in contrast to the old one and for tells to me this season is going to be more boring and fluffy bunny then the last. I want the old March Come In Like A Lion back. I really hope ep2 is better.
Oct 26, 2017 5:06 AM
Mar 2012
Prologue & OP has this gorgeous summer glow.
Mostly fun science club stuff. That Star Wars.
Rei & everyone's lips seem much thinner now, less anxiety filled.
Oct 26, 2017 11:04 PM

Feb 2013
Looks great!!! Just like last season!!
Nov 10, 2017 4:00 PM

Oct 2012
I am watching this for sisters but this episode was way too good in its own regard.

Seems like Shaft had finally broken the chain, untied their hands and delivered awesome animation... this is already better than whole sterile first season that I suffered through in its second part!

So lets hope they would maintain the tempo and improve a lot.
Dec 24, 2017 4:07 AM

Dec 2014
okay this was very charming episode.... Ramune I also want to try some
Jan 16, 2018 1:45 PM

Oct 2012
LoL I just saw Hercule Poirot (Murder on the Orient Express - Agatha Christie) in a shogi anime LOL :D
Mar 3, 2018 3:45 PM

May 2017
beautiful opening visuals

ok first episode.. kinda sad that the show lost its drama aspect (not entirely but yeah)

and tbh i don't see it coming back. The anime shifted into a lighthearted/comedy show with the second half of the first season. I will just have to accept that from now on.
Mar 3, 2018 3:51 PM

May 2017
LightofHeart said:
This new episode feels like a totally different show to me the animation and just overall mood/tone of the show seems so much different then before. I feel like they have taken out the deeper meaning/plot from before. I didn't enjoy this episode but I'm willing to watch a few more its disappointing to me the show seems to be taking a different direction. The new opening is soooo different in contrast to the old one and for tells to me this season is going to be more boring and fluffy bunny then the last. I want the old March Come In Like A Lion back. I really hope ep2 is better.

Exactly my thoughts. Loved the first half of the anime. Its been like this since the second half. I just watched the first episode, i still have my hopes for a more darker tone but yeah not really likely
Apr 5, 2018 8:36 AM

Aug 2016
Ah i'm happy this finished airing so i can binge this x)
Feels good to be back
Pretty good OP still like the second more atm

Chill first episode seeing Rei enjoying his club was pretty sweet.
Aug 9, 2018 3:13 AM

Mar 2015
Great start to the second season, such a simple yet effective way to bring us back in!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Aug 9, 2018 9:34 PM

May 2012
It's great to see this series again, especially that ending warmed me up once again seeing those two faces! Looking forwards to see what this season has to offer but I already like it! Let's see what's next.
Aug 18, 2018 5:45 AM

Dec 2013
what a great start! Hope it will be like season 1 or even better, can't wait to watch more :)
Oct 13, 2018 2:03 PM

Feb 2017
Kiryiama is finally making friends at school, I am so happy for him.
Mar 20, 2019 9:12 AM
Apr 2018
I really liked this episode but I felt it could've worked better for the first season, as the final episode. The op was okey, I still prefer s1's first one and the ending had pretty visuals.

Rei seems quite happy now, good for him. Oh god, the sisters eating ramune... Too sugary, call an ambulance..... please....
Mar 30, 2019 5:02 AM

Feb 2013
Wow, Kuma ate those pieces of cake like they were nothing.
Jun 10, 2019 9:49 PM

Sep 2017
Rei seems to be better at teaching shogi this time around, at least. Last time he tried to teach people shogi it didn't go too well. The animation quality got so much better, it's quite impressive. Rei freezing when asked if he enjoyed playing shogi was pretty amusing. I didn't realize Souya had such a low win rate. It makes sense, of course, but I still wasn't expecting it. I do wonder what goes through his mind when he loses a game. Kuma murdering those cakes made me really hungry for sweets. Is pure glucose any good? Rei getting so excited over making ramune (TIL what ramune was, I thought the subs were misspelling ramen) was so cute! Momo is back!
Oct 4, 2019 7:41 AM

Jul 2015
Season 2 looks promising, the visuals look better

When you realise that the food had more screentime than shogi, looks like this is becoming a food series

Oct 15, 2019 5:38 PM

Sep 2018
I'm happy Rei have a club now and friends :)

Sensei is so childish but so funny lol
Master Souya is so cool! I didn't know being defeated can be so frustrating for genius too.. I didn't know board games can be this serious!

Rei should live with 3 sisters! It's good to see him happy with people who really treasure and care of him <3
Feb 5, 2020 6:16 PM

May 2016
On my second watch-through of Sangatsu. I love the ED for this first half so much, it's one of-if not-my favorite ED. I think it's the animation mainly. When Rei stared into my soul, I felt that. O_O And the puppet on a string metaphor is really powerful IMO. I love this anime so much.
“May those who accept their fate be granted Happiness, may those who defy their fate be granted Glory.”
Sep 6, 2020 7:02 AM

Jul 2020
Wow that was a very interesting start. I really enjoy this first episode. The animation and BGM are still great.

Glad to see Rei enjoying the club activities. He also knows how to explain Shogi now in a more interesting and easy way lol.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» 3-gatsu no Lion is getting a season 3 ( 1 2 )

ranzer - May 26, 2020

68 by Gaurxv »»
Apr 22, 4:56 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2018

247 by Matdredalia »»
Apr 13, 11:24 PM

» 2023: Who else hasn't given up hope for S3?

FMmatron - Jan 10, 2023

43 by DatRandomDude »»
Apr 4, 9:26 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2018

197 by anshumankrsingh »»
Mar 30, 5:03 AM

» Series recap before reading the manga

Lakitu64 - Mar 12

4 by Lakitu64 »»
Mar 14, 6:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.