Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 9, 2017 10:29 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm it's been over 3 years since the last Wake Up Girls...

Honestly, I came into this sequel with low expectations. Visual quality hasn't changed and the mood of teh show is pretty much still the same. We got the main characters back again with their personalities.

I'm guessing this season's competition will be more fierce compared to the previous season seeing how the characters have more experience now as idols.
Oct 9, 2017 11:28 AM

Nov 2008
I see CG dancing. Did anyone ask for such? It was fine with 2D dancing.

Not a bad episode though and the artstyle is at least ok outside of the CG. I'm glad to see Minami stuffing her cute face again.

Oct 9, 2017 12:07 PM
Apr 2009
is it necessary to watch both movies after the first season before i can see this? i only watched the first movie and the first season.
Oct 9, 2017 12:22 PM

Sep 2015
Hi3i said:
is it necessary to watch both movies after the first season before i can see this? i only watched the first movie and the first season.

Well the second movie is the sequel of the first one so you should watch it imo

The artstyle wasn't as bad as I thought, especially during the CGI part I thought that it looked pretty well

now let's see how those three new idols will contribute to the show
xSkipiOct 9, 2017 12:27 PM
Oct 9, 2017 12:23 PM

Jun 2015
Hi3i said:

They do follow, so I'd say do it if you have the means to.

Decent start to the next chapter. Not so sure about the CG dancing tho.

Oct 9, 2017 12:37 PM
Oct 2017
Hi. I saw Episode 1 in the preview event held in Roppongi last month. While I'm glad to see the new series of WUG, Episode 1 was not much satisfying. Especially I was wondering if it was what we have expected as WUG, as I lengthily wrote elsewhere (http://blog.livedoor.jp/nightmegane/archives/1067952084.html).
Oct 9, 2017 1:08 PM

Aug 2013
Hoppy said:

Exactly.... Unbearable for me.
Not mentioning about the fact, that everything looks like traced 3DCG. Their face expressions looks stiff.
rsc-plOct 9, 2017 1:14 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 9, 2017 1:52 PM

Apr 2008
rsc-pl said:
Hoppy said:

Not mentioning about the fact, that everything looks like traced 3DCG. Their face expressions looks stiff.

Because it's exactly what it is. They even said they're using mocap: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/09/23-1/wake-up-girls-live-announces-advances-in-idol-anime-technology

Honestly I expected worse, but this is pretty decent. Granted, I'm kind of used to CGI after Kemono Friends :D
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this signature is unavailable in your region.
Oct 9, 2017 1:55 PM

Aug 2013
gomennasai said:
rsc-pl said:

Because it's exactly what it is. They even said they're using mocap: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/09/23-1/wake-up-girls-live-announces-advances-in-idol-anime-technology

Honestly I expected worse, but this is pretty decent. Granted, I'm kind of used to CGI after Kemono Friends :D

By everything I meant everything, not only dance sequences :)
And if that 'technology' is a future of idol anime, then I won't be watching any idol anime in future.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 9, 2017 2:17 PM

Apr 2008
rsc-pl said:
gomennasai said:

By everything I meant everything, not only dance sequences :)
And if that 'technology' is a future of idol anime, then I won't be watching any idol anime in future.

It's just marketing bullshit. But it's true that nearly all idol shows are using CGI nowadays. There are multiple reasons for that: 1, it's cheaper than to hand-draw multiple panels 2, takes less effort - and dance sequences are especially complicated 3, less time-constraining (especially important, when you must work on schedule).

I'm not trying to convince you, if you don't like it, then be my guest.

EDIT: 4, And almost forgot: it can be an artistic choice. And since it's Shin Itagaki we're talking about - yeah, the guy who became infamous because of the terrible Berserk adaptation -, it's absolutely possible.
gomennasaiOct 9, 2017 2:25 PM
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this signature is unavailable in your region.
Oct 9, 2017 3:55 PM
Jun 2013
Pretty good episode overall. Somehow the animation is even worse with the new studio. But it seems like it's going to be the same otherwise. Looking forward to watching the best season 2 idol show this season.
Oct 9, 2017 4:07 PM

Mar 2014
Now I know how berserk fans feel.
Powered by yuri.
Needless to say, I finish all anime I start, no matter my initial opinion, no matter how bad it gets, I WILL FINISH IT!
http://www.anime-planet.com/users/zunderdog24
Oct 9, 2017 4:15 PM

May 2015
Hi,
First of all I'd like to say that I'm a huge fan of WUG like... If you remove remove some kg to Oota, it'd be totally me lmao

The OP is cool, the visual part kinda resume well the characters if each of their personalities and the music is fine, less catchy than either Tachiagare ! / 7 Girls War tho

Show atmosphere havent moved an inch and that's great, they kept up with the hard work and the fact it's not easy to be an idol, which is the point I like about this show
A glimpse of the dark side of the idol industry is showed and that's the part which made WUG a bit special compared to others idol shows.

Like said previously, the 3DCG is kind of messy.
2D dances did the job and was more enjoyable to watch imo
Faces look stiff, so do their legs.

I mean they started the episode with that laïus (a little part of it in reality) about ways to make people happy and that idol share happiness blablabla...
But that danse scene absolutely gave me nothing although it close to be "perfect" :c
Meanwhile I could watch the first season's Gokujo Smile choregraphy a thousand time and I'd always have goosebumps it may be simpler and some frames looks a bit out but when they smile it actually looks like they've fun !
Idk but in this choregraphy I see large smile and co' but they just feel wrong.

Otherwise fine episode, wait & see.

They also kept the thing of that ballad-chilly ending song which is rather pleasant.

Cheers
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 9, 2017 4:18 PM

Jan 2015
Visuals >_> i dont recognize anyone :D But at least seyuus improved a whole lot from the first season.
And ofcourse Mayushi will open up the season with her typical 3 ways to make someone happy talk ^^
Definitely not digging the opening :( not visuals or the song itself.
So 4 new characters huuuuh.
Why are we saying "good morning" when its evening. LOL Minami is the best.
Liked their performance, songwise. USing the first season song <3333 but the animation x_____x
Also we didnt get to see I-1's performance? :(

Mayushi "I believe being an idol means being true to who you are" So true, people love idols for who they are. "Shouldnt be late tho" LOl Mayu
Always great seeing most devoted fan WUG group WUGners. Incredible how devoted they are <3 AND LOL'D FROM waitress. "Those guys again?" :D

@zunderdog24 LOOOOL exactly man :P
Oct 9, 2017 4:18 PM

Nov 2008
gomennasai said:
rsc-pl said:

I fear for the future of anime. That's why the artstyle seems ok at best.

Oct 9, 2017 4:30 PM
May 2015
T^T im a big fan.. but im honestly kinda disappointed. the art feels like their trying hard to match it with the CG. The old 2d art was perfect imo, even with the dancing. whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy they do thissss.
Oct 9, 2017 7:10 PM

Dec 2014
The change in art style was a bit jarring. Seems like they're trying to hard to have that cgdct appeal. The CG performance was a huge blow to one of my favorite things about WUG which was the 2D performances. It being CG just doesn't have the same charm as it would if it was 2D. This just felt overly average which is a huge bummer since I loved the vibe of the first series. At least they brought back having the VAs do the previews.
Oct 9, 2017 7:24 PM

Jan 2011
All I know is it's infinitely better than Sunshine
Oct 9, 2017 7:43 PM

Jan 2011
had just watched the movie leading up to this last week so seeing that the art changed was super jarring i mean they fixed the derpy smile they had but now everyone looks a bit more younger and overly cheerful animation it's self is also more static

not to mention the change to 3D dancing is quite disappointing i mean love live has been doing it from the start and has only now started to look decent so them to change over to it only looks like a downgrade.

still gonna support the WUG
Oct 9, 2017 7:44 PM

Aug 2013
Yoppi make feel live. CG dance its ok.
Oct 9, 2017 8:26 PM

Dec 2014
WUG is finally back, pretty nice starting episode.

I can't believe that even after a year I still haven't gotten over Yoppi cutting her hair. :(

That blonde announcer/MC at that show had no chill. XDD

Hearing 7 Girls War again was really nice. :)
The performance CG was kinda weird, it felt strangely off somehow. Even the faces of the girls for that matter. Probably cause I'm not used to this new art style, even so the CG feels kinda weak somehow, especially when compared to LLSS which is airing this season. Then again, I suppose they don't have nearly the budget LL has.
I do appreciate the angled shots during the performance.

The WUG fan/otaku dude at the end always cracks me up. xD
Oct 9, 2017 9:18 PM

May 2010
This is actually more lively than season 1.
Oct 9, 2017 9:18 PM

May 2010
This is actually more lively than season 1.
Oct 9, 2017 9:56 PM

Feb 2014
I think I need to re-watch the first season, because I barely remember anything about the plot or the characters. But it was a good episode nonetheless.

The opening song is catchy af and probably one of the few openings that I won't be skipping. The visuals aren't bad either, even though they're ruined a bit by the cheap CG.
IZEROII said:
All I know is it's infinitely better than Sunshine

That it most certainly is. This episode alone had more believable emotions and heart than the entirety of sunshine.
Oct 10, 2017 12:19 AM

Oct 2010
I really enjoyed season 1. But this felt too cheerful in comparison. Everything seemed worse in every way as well, except the re-used music. The art especially was horrific. The panning scenes outright hurt my eyes with their weird stutter and the dance scene was insanely jarring. The standard art style for the show was subpar but the dance scene was just horrific.
Oct 10, 2017 2:04 AM

Dec 2013
The 3D dancing seemed a bit off for me. I know it's probably cheaper to make and allows for faster end product, but the original WUG movies and first season really enticed me with the beautifully animated dance sequences.

That said, I'm plenty glad to see this show back, and that the girls are still at it even after they took an L in the previous year's competition. It's not like they're not still up and coming, but I guess things get harder when the economy is on the downturn.

On a side note, even after being introduced to this group like 3 years back, I've been seeing them do OPs/EDs for other anime and collaborations with other artists within the anime world. Would love to see if they could pull some guest appearances for those artists, even in this show (I'm thinking May'N of course, Isekai Shokudou ftw~).

Looking forward to seeing more of the old fan club dudes as well.
All in all a decent and welcome start. CGI really needs some work though.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Oct 10, 2017 2:36 AM
Apr 2015
They changed the director and studio therefore the change in art and animation. It's handled by the guy that directed the trash by the name Berserk 2016 and handed to a studio that can't do CG well. So the shit CG is expected.

Character design wise, characters look more unrealistic now. They look more like generic character designs than more humane like in the previous movies and season.

Still will be watching this for the plot, hoping that it won't get any more trash.
Oct 10, 2017 3:25 AM
May 2011
drop the anime, enjoy WUG lives
Oct 10, 2017 7:15 AM

Jun 2017
well it cant be helped on having 3d on dance since its more cheaper than 2d drawing, but changing the chara design so it can look as close as 3d design was a huge disappointment for me because it make the character almost unrecognisable
Oct 10, 2017 7:23 AM

May 2010
Went from shit art to even shittier. Their faces always look fucked up.

The CGI looked damn better to the point that I'd rather the whole thing made in it.
ZarkrazOct 10, 2017 7:45 AM
Oct 10, 2017 2:56 PM

Oct 2008
I prefer WUG than that sunshine shit!
oh look the three middle-school girls is starting their own legacy! nice! Their first names are the one that changed from their actual VA's!
5/5.

Oct 10, 2017 3:28 PM

Oct 2013
I liked it and thought it was a nice episode. I really liked the first movie and season 1. The dancing sequence looked a little weird- almost like characters for a different anime!, but I'll keep watching because I enjoy the story and franchise. I noticed some other cheesy corner-cutting by this studio, though I do hope they succeed with WuG.
Oct 11, 2017 3:40 PM

Jun 2016
I don't mind the CG dancing, but I think I'm going to have a hard time getting use to the new art style. It takes away from the realistic approach from before. Instead of it feeling like an indie idol group, it feels more like any other Idol show. A lot of the charm was in the art and it's kind of lost now.

Hopefully the plot here is still good though.
°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
Oct 12, 2017 9:38 PM

Feb 2009
Huh... I don't really know how to feel about this. It's almost like they downgraded WUG in every department.

The 3D dances aren't all that bad but still a downgrade from 2D (even though the songs have a lot more screen time now), the animation feels almost like they cut frames from it and the chara design was really downgraded for some (Mayu looks especially bad now). I also miss the slightly slower pace. One good thing is that I managed to catch a couple really nice transitions, I have the feeling studios have been using transitions a lot better recently.

I saved the movies to watch them together with the second season but that turned out to be a mistake. That wasn't a particularly bad episode but I'm worried. Hopefully, they will adjust things in the next few episodes.
Oct 13, 2017 1:23 AM

Jan 2013
It's not the same as the original... It's trying to be cheery idol-like the other idol shows which is not what I wanted and I think that's why they went with this design. Plz don't go cheery! WUG is different then them shows.. sigh.

I thought I'd be able to get use to the new char designs but may take longer then I thought it don't help any with those ugly ass plastic CG designs in them dances. Why couldn't they after motion-capping it then hand-drawn them via trace or something then this route? What is it with these studios practically using the same CG style that look the damn same? It's like there's some plot to use the same design CG by different studios or something I can't grasp this phenomenon. At least TRY to match the design of the 2D characters, damn....

Oh my goodness, I didn't know the CG was lead by Berserk 2016 guy... the cringe has leapt genre's! This don't sound good. Despite it all at least Shimada-chan's seiyuu soothes my soul.
radleOct 13, 2017 9:35 AM
Oct 13, 2017 2:47 AM

Jun 2016
I have so many mixed feelings about the animation..

I mean.. it's definitely not terrible, there are times when it looks quite nice, but I loved the unique art style of the first anime. Also, the CGI was a bad idea. I get it if it's cheaper and easier to do, but come on..
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
Oct 13, 2017 11:47 AM
Aug 2015
I haven't watched the 2 movies sequel to the first season, so a few plot holes is here and there for me when i saw the first ss2 episode but i can accept that, mosly because i aslo watched the first season before the first movie and it's still a good anime.
But to be honest, i dont hope the following episodes will be like the first one. The progression is fast, they "jumped" from scene to scene, this to me more like a promotion video than an anime with actual plot. The best way i can explain is that they recap all the things happened while introducing 3 new characters and upcoming plot.
Also the artstyle is diffirent, not bad but diffirent, takes time to get used to. Also apply for the 3D dance scene
Oct 14, 2017 1:07 PM
Aug 2015
It was so-so until the horrible 3DCG dancing, seriously...
Oct 14, 2017 4:09 PM

May 2009
Yamakan gone, new designs are awful, even worse than previous sameface, dances are now CGI. Let's forget about it.
Oct 14, 2017 4:48 PM

Feb 2013
The new character designs/style makes them look 3years younger. I think I prefer the old style, if only because that's what I was expecting. (that and I finally watched the 2 movies to prepare for watching this...)

On the CG... it wasn't exactly great, but if we can actually get some performances, then I'm fine with it.

Overall this felt a little different than previous WUG. Perhaps it will take a bit for the drama to enter. I just hope they aren't trying to be more like that Love Live trash.

3 new WUG lolis? New local group? We will see.
Oct 16, 2017 4:01 PM
Apr 2012
That episode felt really haphazardly put together production-wise, like it was jumping all over the place. I hate the art style too, the characters just look really dopey. Best moment was the WUGners in the restaurant; other than that it was a pretty forgettable episode. They're trying to do something with the "decline of idols" thing, but it's all too nice and too cheery. While I haven't seen the movies in between, there's a stark difference between season 1 and this. While I like WUG's music I've never been hot on the anime anyway so based on my feelings here I think this is going to be pretty low priority for me, but we'll see how things go.
Oct 16, 2017 6:30 PM

Nov 2011
Holy shit what the fuck happened to this anime? I actually enjoyed season 1, animation and story, im five minutes into this thinking "So is this a new series or are these the same girls." Sure enough it is the same girls. This is god awful I wont even finish it.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Oct 17, 2017 9:51 AM
Aug 2015
As the first season was somewhat enjoyable, this in the other hand is a complete failure, the 3DCG in the first episode was so dreadful that I was ashamed for the animation team, and the plot will not save anything.
It's a shame, because the characters are good, and three years ago it was nice to have a serious challenger to Idolm@ster.
I don't know what went wrong, maybe budget cuts or something, but now it's plain ugly and boring. I simply fast forwarded the 3D parts, as it was an insult to my eyes.

Nothing else to say, just stay away from this if you value your time.
Oct 26, 2017 11:07 PM

Feb 2013
Looks fine....just like the last season....
Oct 27, 2017 3:24 AM
Sep 2010
Is it just me, or is the animation even worse here? Sure the art style is pretty, but I notice there were quite a lot of close up shots, and a lot of scenes with barely any movement. I hope it just in this episode and it gets better as we progress.

As for the 3D, yeah its pretty bad. Like why are they so scrawny, seriously the body proportions between 2D and 3D don't match at all. I don't mind the use of 3D if done well (ex. Love Live Sunshine S2) since it can allow them to show more of the dance choreography instead of constantly cutting away from the dance that full 2D usually does. But man its pretty bad here.
Nov 10, 2017 2:56 PM

Oct 2012
Sooo, two and half years have past, right? (even though going by their official year this is four years later). Seems like both Kaya a Miyu are now in their twenties and most of the girls (Mayu, Yoshino and Air being 19).

Have to say I like this time skip (being almost the same as the real time) but those new models... well, they made them more rounder, cuter, thinner and changed their eyes and guess it would take a while to get used to it.. because mainly during their CG dance their faces felt way too big at times. Have to say it actually took me a while to recognize them and that's even when I saw the movies not so long ago. Have the feeling that even some non-dancing parts are CG but maybe that's just those new chara designs.

They made them look way younger than they should look, way more anime idol-like which is shame cause I actually liked how down-to-earth with reality this series was before. Let's hope that's one thing that stays and that harshness of showbussiness would be still the main theme of this series.

Anyway, seems like I-1 is almost over now (Moka would be probably fired too at some point, good for her), and that their split up group (Summer Storm IIRC?) with Mayu's friend Shiho got all the fame. Meanwhile a new group probably arise as those three girls would be probably their competition now (or Green Leaves takes them under their company too).
Either way, it would be interesting to watch how things develops.

So far, it wasn't bad start, gotta keep watching this as I like WUG but let's hope it gets interesting further on.

On sidenote - I know her real name is Hayashi but naming her character Hayamaru (as close to LL's Hanamaru, ehm, ehm) isn't probably the best choice.
Oct 1, 2018 1:27 AM

Nov 2013
I really don't care about those fangirls but looks like we are gonna see them regularly anyway.
Aug 12, 2019 1:53 PM

Dec 2012
I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the new art style, but it grew on me really quickly. It feels a bit cuter which is a nice change of pace. The CGI performances aren't too bad either. Looks like finally wrapping up the movies was worthwhile.
Jul 9, 2021 10:15 AM

Feb 2020
Decent start. It was nice to hear the song 7 Girls War again.

The CGI looked just fine IMO. Beautiful performance. :)

Also, the new girls are pretty interesting.
Mar 15, 2022 6:02 AM

Jul 2008
Oh no...
I'm super disappointed by the CGI shows.
It was really good on S1 and movies to have real dancing animation, but now I cringe on all their shows...
I guess it's because Ordet studio isn't with Millepensee anymore, but it make me hate Millepensee for that.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why isn't episode 13 on MAL?

Rorek - Jul 28, 2021

5 by Cainael »»
Mar 15, 2022 11:59 AM

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Shin Shou Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 25, 2017

29 by Serafos »»
Jul 10, 2021 3:16 AM

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Shin Shou Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2017

8 by Serafos »»
Jul 10, 2021 2:35 AM

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Shin Shou Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2017

8 by Serafos »»
Jul 10, 2021 1:49 AM

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Shin Shou Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2017

7 by Serafos »»
Jul 10, 2021 1:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.