Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Oct 5, 2017 11:30 AM
Jul 2018
fullmetal-ghoul said:
SeidouTZ said:

You are stretching too hard to try justefy this. Someone being unsuccessful does not automatically equate to realism nor it makes sence in terms of how a story should be build upon.

This chapter did not make us readers by any way feel "shocked and feel despair", it is just annoying at this point because no matter how many chapters of build up are written, in the end Ishida will always ultimately just opt to go for the route that the readers least expect. No matter how much kaneki changes in terms of personality, no matter how much the author builds him up in terms of phisical strength, no matter how much he might improve himself because in the end non of that matters and Ishida will just have him lose for the sake of a "tragedy".

You could have skipped Re almost entirely because nothing substancial had changed, that is a sign of bad writting not realism. You could go on and on about how this correlates kaneki personal flaws, but in the end does that even matter at this point? 50+ chapter of progression down the toilet for what? An unorthodox/tragic ending? No, that is not a good justification.
You wouldn't forgive an anime/manga for having no real sense of progression or it constantly repeat itself, so why should Re have a pass?

1. My point wasn't that Kaneki losing makes him a realistic character. It was his decision to do everything himself, and fall back on the flaws that he himself identifyed in part 1 that makes him realistic. In :re, we have seen him work on his flaws, he is more reliant on others now. However, when things get desperate, he falls back on the flawed mentality deeply ingrained in him since childhood, because that's human nature. This is what makes him realistic as you cannot easily move past a mentality you've had forever, even if you make a conscious effort to do so (Kaneki doesn't even realize he's made the same mistakes, Furuta has to tell him). It's not regression when it's been hinted at previously in :Re, as mentioned in the link I previously shared.

2. But yes, him losing in this situation does add an aspect of realism. In real life, a single soldier cannot save his army from being slaughtered, no matter how powerful this soldier is. Its the same here, Kaneki, the most powerful ghoul, cannot save his organisation from slaughter on his own, especially since he's aging rapidly and starving. This arc has made it clear he's nowhere near his best. And yes, the result of the fight makes perfect sense, this post details it better than I ever could.
https://www.reddit.com/r/TokyoGhoul/comments/743nok/how_the_result_of_143s_battle_makes_sense/

And a lot has happended in :Re, I'm gonna assume you're talking about Kaneki's character since the plot has advanced a lot, and the other characters have changed. This much is pretty obvious.

Kaneki has developed a huge amount in :Re, and while he is learning the same lesson he learnt at the end of part 1 (which I think is fine), he has still changed a lot. Since Kaneki returned after chapter 50ish, we've seen him in a suicidal state without any reason to live, slowly develop into the person he is now, someone who is clearly motivated and enjoying life, improving on his flaws on his flaws in the process, during which time Ishida has also dropped hints that he hasn't completely eradicated them, as build up for this chapter. There has been progression in :Re, it's just he has a lot more room to progress. This chapter doesn't destroy the development I just talked about.

Sure, the fact he's made the same mistake may feel like his character has regressed in one department, which is why I understand the criticism. But I don't see it as such because there have been hints that he hasn't moved on, its more like Kaneki thought he moved on but hasn't, at least completely, which is why Furuta spelt out his mistakes this time in contrast to his self realisation at the end of part 1. Has any development really gone down the drain, when he didn't really complete that development in the first place?

Also, you're acting as though the series is over already and is gonna end in tragedy. We're nowhere near the end, lets not talk sbout the ending, before you know, it actually ends.

Again that is not building a realistic character, that is downgrading an already established one for the sake of tragedy.

Consider the following: one of the basic fundamentals of creating a character is that a character must have a clear desire. The desire, and what stands in the way of achieving that desire, is basically what makes the plot.
In the same vain Kaneki created GOAT with the goal in mind of creating a peaceful world where humans and ghouls can co-exist. However what does kaneki do to accomplish that goal? Well he "could" have killed Furuta when he met him privately, but he chooses not to; He could have publicly exposed the Washu as ghouls thus making the entire CCG turn upside-down, but he chooses not to; He could had extorted Hazuki for information or even consider the fact that maybe he was followed, but again he chooses not to.
This events that are happening right now could had been easily avoided if Kaneki had stayed in character, but instead we have him act careless and irracional all for what? Because Ishida opted for purposedly rehashing the exact same thing that happened in part 1 (bringing Kaneki to the verge of death, making him experience despair and then made him crawl his up back up yet again) for the sake of a act 3 to happen? No that is still unjustifiable.

Even if you make the argument that kaneki "did no developed enough so it makes all okay", having him go back to the exact same state that he was at the end of the original makes Re seem pointless in the grand scheme of things by comparison.

If the way Ishida is writing this series a tragic ending is much assured. Not that it matter after all going for pure shock value it has been the main principle of all of re.
Oct 5, 2017 12:27 PM
Jul 2018
SeidouTZ said:

Again that is not building a realistic character, that is downgrading an already established one for the sake of tragedy.

Consider the following: one of the basic fundamentals of creating a character is that a character must have a clear desire. The desire, and what stands in the way of achieving that desire, is basically what makes the plot.
In the same vain Kaneki created GOAT with the goal in mind of creating a peaceful world where humans and ghouls can co-exist. However what does kaneki do to accomplish that goal? Well he "could" have killed Furuta when he met him privately, but he chooses not to; He could have publicly exposed the Washu as ghouls thus making the entire CCG turn upside-down, but he chooses not to; He could had extorted Hazuki for information or even consider the fact that maybe he was followed, but again he chooses not to.
This events that are happening right now could had been easily avoided if Kaneki had stayed in character, but instead we have him act careless and irracional all for what? Because Ishida opted for purposedly rehashing the exact same thing that happened in part 1 (bringing Kaneki to the verge of death, making him experience despair and then made him crawl his up back up yet again) for the sake of a act 3 to happen? No that is still unjustifiable.

Strongly disagree. Everything Kaneki has done, and every mistake he's made has been in character. Since the start of TG, Ishida has made it clear that just like any one of us, Kaneki is an ordinary kid thrown in the position of a main character. He has no leadership experience, nor is he especially bright, and yet the role of OEK is forced upon him with the task of uniting humans and ghouls. Its far more natural and in character for him to make mistakes. He's not a Lelouch, and he never was, while Furuta has been on that level of intellect since his introduction. IMO, Kaneki outplaying Furuta would be out of character.

Moving on to the mistakes you listed, its perfectly understandable for Kaneki to make them in context. He lets Furuta go, but how is he meant to know how far Furuta would take things, or how smart the guy is. I didn't see nearly as many people complaining about it then as i do now, hindsight is quite a useful thing and its our job as a reader to place ourselves in the shoes of the character if we're to understand their actions. In addition, this was at a point where Kaneki was meant to be careless, and for good reason. Before 125, he has no motivation to achieve his goals as the OEK, he's doing it because Arima wanted him to, its made apparant in Clown Siege (I think Ayato calls him out on it), and after 125 where Tsukiyama points out his new found focus. Its been a crucial aspect of his development in the past 50-ish chapters.

How would he publicly expose the Washu as ghouls while getting anyone to believe him? (unless he has some sort of evidence I've forgotten about, if so my bad)

And finally not extorting a ten year old ghoul is totally in character for Kaneki. Is it a mistake? Absolutely, look where they are now, but I think its in character for Kaneki to not harm a ten year old, he's not a ruthless person. And why would Kaneki consider the possibility that Hajime was followed, Hajime was taking in by GOAT, he didn't find them. They found Goat's base through Hajime's tracking device, which was located in his tongue and pretty understandable that Kaneki didn't find it. I think you've overestimated Kaneki's abilities in the past, he's made mistakes but hasn't been downgraded.

SeidouTZ said:

Even if you make the argument that kaneki "did no developed enough so it makes all okay", having him go back to the exact same state that he was at the end of the original makes Re seem pointless in the grand scheme of things by comparison.

If the way Ishida is writing this series a tragic ending is much assured. Not that it matter after all going for pure shock value it has been the main principle of all of re.

If you think the Kaneki now and the Kaneki at the end of part 1 are the same, then we've been reading a different series. The Kaneki then was depressed, suicidal and mentally unstable, while now he's relatively happy with his life and as stable as Kaneki could possibly be. Their situation is similar, but as a person Kaneki has changed a lot since then, which is why, among a lot of other things, :Re is quite far from pointless for me.

Edit: And I've already explained in detail why, even though his situation is similar, this does not mean his development was destroyed, he just needs to develop more.

And don't speak about the ending too soon. I don't think Re is ending anytime soon (pretty sure Ishida is baiting us, and Suzuya is on the cover for V13, which would seem out of place for the last volume of :Re), and :Re has been implied to be an epic, in contrast to the tragedy in part 1. I think this chapter is a stepping stone to further Kaneki's development, but we'll see. No point arguing over the future
removed-userOct 5, 2017 12:31 PM
Oct 5, 2017 2:28 PM

Dec 2013
Wtf chapter indeed but you guys really need to calm tf down. Manga isn't ending and all hope isn't lost.

Also, give this Reddit post a read. It's really insightful.
Stay in yesterday 時を止めて
Oct 5, 2017 3:37 PM
Jul 2018
fullmetal-ghoul said:
SeidouTZ said:

Strongly disagree. Everything Kaneki has done, and every mistake he's made has been in character. Since the start of TG, Ishida has made it clear that just like any one of us, Kaneki is an ordinary kid thrown in the position of a main character. He has no leadership experience, nor is he especially bright, and yet the role of OEK is forced upon him with the task of uniting humans and ghouls. Its far more natural and in character for him to make mistakes. He's not a Lelouch, and he never was, while Furuta has been on that level of intellect since his introduction. IMO, Kaneki outplaying Furuta would be out of character.

Moving on to the mistakes you listed, its perfectly understandable for Kaneki to make them in context. He lets Furuta go, but how is he meant to know how far Furuta would take things, or how smart the guy is. I didn't see nearly as many people complaining about it then as i do now, hindsight is quite a useful thing and its our job as a reader to place ourselves in the shoes of the character if we're to understand their actions. In addition, this was at a point where Kaneki was meant to be careless, and for good reason. Before 125, he has no motivation to achieve his goals as the OEK, he's doing it because Arima wanted him to, its made apparant in Clown Siege (I think Ayato calls him out on it), and after 125 where Tsukiyama points out his new found focus. Its been a crucial aspect of his development in the past 50-ish chapters.

How would he publicly expose the Washu as ghouls while getting anyone to believe him? (unless he has some sort of evidence I've forgotten about, if so my bad)

And finally not extorting a ten year old ghoul is totally in character for Kaneki. Is it a mistake? Absolutely, look where they are now, but I think its in character for Kaneki to not harm a ten year old, he's not a ruthless person. And why would Kaneki consider the possibility that Hajime was followed, Hajime was taking in by GOAT, he didn't find them. They found Goat's base through Hajime's tracking device, which was located in his tongue and pretty understandable that Kaneki didn't find it. I think you've overestimated Kaneki's abilities in the past, he's made mistakes but hasn't been downgraded.

SeidouTZ said:

If you think the Kaneki now and the Kaneki at the end of part 1 are the same, then we've been reading a different series. The Kaneki then was depressed, suicidal and mentally unstable, while now he's relatively happy with his life and as stable as Kaneki could possibly be. Their situation is similar, but as a person Kaneki has changed a lot since then, which is why, among a lot of other things, :Re is quite far from pointless for me.

Edit: And I've already explained in detail why, even though his situation is similar, this does not mean his development was destroyed, he just needs to develop more.

And don't speak about the ending too soon. I don't think Re is ending anytime soon (pretty sure Ishida is baiting us, and Suzuya is on the cover for V13, which would seem out of place for the last volume of :Re), and :Re has been implied to be an epic, in contrast to the tragedy in part 1. I think this chapter is a stepping stone to further Kaneki's development, but we'll see. No point arguing over the future

Killing Furuta would still had be the best course of action in that situation regardless, he is their main enemy so there is no point on having him walk freely;
He wouldn't need physical evidences, just inform someone within CCG and they would probably look into the Washus more thoroughly;
Even if not ordered by kaneki himself his people could very well had inspected Hazuki better.

But fair enough i am willing to comply with the fact that Kaneki may not be that much of an intelligent character as i picture him to be. However having him act so irrationally, thinking he could take on most people by himself is still stretching. Why would you have your mc make the exact same mistake as he did in part 1 in act 2 despite how much that event affected his psychic? Makes it seem like there was no actual sense of progression. What proposes does it hold having Kaneki no longer being suicidal if we will have the exact same thing that happened in the past happen again? It doesnt hold whater. This constant back and forward is becoming tiresome.
But whatever is not like i will be able to change your stand on the re series, nor i believe you will be able to change mine so there is no point of argue further.
Oct 5, 2017 3:51 PM
Jul 2018
SeidouTZ said:
fullmetal-ghoul said:

Killing Furuta would still had be the best course of action in that situation regardless, he is their main enemy so there is no point on having him walk freely;
He wouldn't need physical evidences, just inform someone within CCG and they would probably look into the Washus more thoroughly;
Even if not ordered by kaneki himself his people could very well had inspected Hazuki better.

But fair enough i am willing to comply with the fact that Kaneki may not be that much of an intelligent character as i picture him to be. However having him act so irrationally, thinking he could take on most people by himself is still stretching. Why would you have your mc make the exact same mistake as he did in part 1 in act 2 despite how much that event affected his psychic? Makes it seem like there was no actual sense of progression. What proposes does it hold having Kaneki no longer being suicidal if we will have the exact same thing that happened in the past happen again? It doesnt hold whater. This constant back and forward is becoming tiresome.
But whatever is not like i will be able to change your stand on the re series, nor i believe you will be able to change mine so there is no point of argue further.

Yeah let's just agree to disagree
Oct 5, 2017 4:18 PM

Jul 2012
Being completely honest with you guys I don't know if I should fell sad or happy because in the end I just want this manga to end. Not picking up a third part because I don't wanna see Kaneki pulling a Jon Snow (again) or Kaneki's son revenge, argh, no thanks. Don't even know if I really can watch the anime adaptation as this is boring me to no end D:
In the end this series is being a chore to keep reading, it turned into the supernatural of the mangas lol
I don't think the chapter was that bad, I don't really care anymore about the characters, but I guess we gonna see more of what happened in the battle and all.

(Not trying to sass any hardcore fans, it is just, this manga is not entertaining anymore to me...just venting some feelings :S)

Oct 5, 2017 6:38 PM

Jun 2016
Ishida Sui on steroids it seems with this Chapter. Everything he before this was set up to make Kaneki suffer. Poorly done though by forcing Amon to walk away for reasons I'll never understand and Kurona disappearing for no reason at all. Added with the Ayato being away just before this happens makes it all too forced
Gift by Mimurona

Oct 5, 2017 8:09 PM

Jan 2013
Ishida said:
Step 1: Write a successful manga.
Step 2: Write the same thing except it's worse this time around.
Step 3: ???

opiktea said:
, why the fuck the narative is almost always confusing...

decided to revisit this forum after reading the chapter for a third time. Everyone here is hilarious, god bless this forum.
On that note, someone should make the "aliens" meme guy with "parallels" cause I'm exactly sure that's what ishida does while writing
Oct 5, 2017 11:17 PM

Feb 2016
fullmetal-ghoul said:
You need to understand that this chapter is not a cheap rehash of part 1's ending, nor is it a parallel for the sake of being a parallel. Both part 1 and this have different intended effects on the reader.

In part 1, Kaneki's downward spiral was built up and played out beautifully, it was made obvious that it would end in tragedy as a result of Kaneki identifying his flaws too late. By making it clear things would end in tragedy, this really depressing but engaging atmosphere is created which is Ishida's intended effect.

However, in :Re and this chapter its completely different, and while yes, shock factor plays a much larger role (and this should not always have negative connotations, it worked brilliantly here imo), its so much more than that. In the past 50 or so chapters of :Re, Ishida has seemingly been building up Kaneki for success, he's no longer suicidal, he wants to live and is taking his role as OEK seriously now.

But while its undeniable the effect Ishida want to create is for us to be shocked and feel despair, what's crucial is that the underlying senese and build up of tragedy was still there, we just never noticed because of how Kaneki was developing as a person. It's still great writing. Not once is it shown that Kaneki has moved past his fatal flaws (but yes, he has made an attampt to improve), and identifying said flaws and moving past them are two completely different things. I'm sure all of us have at least once realised we have a negative trait, but have done nothing to rectify it at that moment. In this sense, its more realistic for Kaneki to fall back on his mindset built from his childhood, especially given how weak he is mentally. He has made an effort to move past his flaws, but once he gets desperate he reverts back to how he naturally thinks, which is completely realistic.

The most understandable criticism I've seen of this chapter is that Kaneki's development was destroyed, but that's not the case, its more he hasn't developed enough. He hasn't overcome his fatal character flaws, and no that doesn't mean his character in :re was wasted at all. His transition from Haise, to the suicidal Black Reaper, to the OEK seeking motivation and reason to live, to the person he is now was still brilliantly done, and he has improved upon his flaws, but he still has a lot of room to grow and this chapter is the perfect stepping stone for that.

I also recommend giving this a read if you haven't already:
http://linkspooky.tumblr.com/post/165973792540/the-hardest-lessons-learned

I stongly agree with you....

Cant Wait for the last chapter to wrap up this part...
Kja95Oct 5, 2017 11:39 PM
Oct 5, 2017 11:42 PM

Jan 2010
Once again, I'll only rage if next chapter is really the end of the whole series which I believe is not true.
Oct 6, 2017 1:36 AM

May 2010
Everyone is complaining about the fight scene not being shown and I'm over here like -

NOOOO!! TOUKA!! SOMEONE SAVE TOUKA AND HER BABY!! THE BABY!!!! THEIR BABY!!! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! SAVE THEM!!!!
VKLoverOct 6, 2017 1:39 AM
A sweet dream, has not ended yet.
Oct 6, 2017 7:08 AM

Nov 2016
WTAF ??? This can't be it...

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 6, 2017 1:59 PM
Nov 2016
Why Ishida? Why? Why must you do this to Kaneki? And now you're probably gonna end The manga and leave us screaming for a sequel.... Why're you doing this to us?
Oct 6, 2017 5:15 PM

Dec 2014
This chapter left me speechless and I don't know what to say. Can't be sure that the series ends next week though, there are still a lot of plot threads unsolved yet. I'm really looking forwards to the next chapter.

EDIT: I read the reddit post linked above and it drastically changed my opinion of the chapter. This is great, I hope Ishida keeps it up.
KOZ8888Oct 6, 2017 5:35 PM
Oct 6, 2017 9:14 PM

Feb 2011
Why everyone's panicking? Ishida is merely setting the stage for part 3.

hpsthemaskedman said:
Kaneki is like Arima with kakuja...Who can defeat the hell out of him ?

Well Suzuya and Hanbe..Fuck.Fuck.Fuck

And who the hell is this ?

Rikai Souzu & Shio Ihei of O Squad.
Forever Berserk
Oct 6, 2017 9:43 PM

Dec 2016
The first few panels were powerful. "One single choice is enough to throw you off your entire course and once you're off a set of rails there's no getting back on & one day when you're tired of plodding forward, you'll whisper it wasn't supposed to turn out like this"

But other then that, wtf just happened. Arima can't rest in peace with this happening
Oct 7, 2017 1:16 AM
Jan 2017
keragamming said:
I'm still trying to figure out if I'm going to start reading this series again after dropping it, the fact that I'm at the latest chapter discussion getting spoiled, just shows that I've lost interest in this series.

Kja95 said:
People don't want to understand that this is a tragedy story and not a shonen manga

I swear it lately started to be shonen like and I was about to drop it

I read Tokyo ghoul for something like this
and if I complain about something it would be because the fight went off screen nothing else

What happened to kaneki here is the same as what happened at the end of the prequel manga and that's smart from ishida

As long as there is a sequel it is the best surprising chapter it is the worst if there is no sequel and that's obviously not true

10/10 chapter and looking forward to the last conclusive mangaka and don't worry it will have a happy ending with out doubt

-_- You see these are the comments that annoy me the most, people can think this is the deepest shit since slice bread, I don't care that is there opinion, but when you say shit like this, it just shows that you don't know what you are talking about.

I didn't know shounen manga means rainbow and sunshine, and also a manga being dark or being publish in a seinen magazine doesn't mean its writing is good. have you ever taken a look at the seinen list on mal? They aren't all tragedy and dark, the same can be said about shounen series.

You saying tokyo ghoul is not a shounen magazine therefore it is good and must be dark, is the equivalent of someone saying a series is mature just because it has a lot of gore in it.

@loli_a_ravioli I'm in the same boat as you, it is so annoying. I look at a few youtube review on this chapter and look at the comment section, and all I see is people saying, stuff like '' stick to your shounen manga, this is a seinen! it is suppose to be dark!'' -_-

Reminds me of when I first watch elfin lied when I was young, and thought it was a mature series because of all the gore. That is what those comments remind me of, myself when I was 13/14 years old.

Chronical said:
wow.. just fucking wow. Damn, ishida. I was expecting a typical happy ending, kaneki defeating suzuya and hanabe and running away with touka, hinami and the others, but no. I know that this can't be the end, with so many characters unresolved, so I look forward to the third series. (unless ishida wants to leave us with a cheap plot twist ending...)

-_- this is what I'm talking about, tokyo ghoulre is getting praise for following the typical formula for a dark story. Happy ending is actually rare in a series full of horror and tragedy, so I find it weird how some people are surprise by this outcome.

If you are reading a dark tone story in most cases there are two types of ending, either a dark hopeless/sad ending or a bittersweet ending. smh I guess people like you haven't watch/read a lot of dark tone series.

=-= read my profile. It's pretty obvious that I'm inexperienced. ffs this is why I don't want to comment on threads, someone always needs to criticise me. You can't always assume everyone has the same amount of experience and maturity and is the same age as you, seriously...
Oct 7, 2017 4:31 AM

Mar 2014
I have no idea what I just read. What happened. No memory? Offscreen? I think this is a bit forced, considering Ishida's tendency to make parallels between :re and its prequel. Regardless, I ain't buying it that Kaneki is completely nerf'd I'm pretty sure he'll get some random power up by eating or some shit
Oct 7, 2017 1:59 PM

Aug 2010
WTF. First time I rated a chapter of TG 1/5. Plain BS. Next chapter better have a good explanation of what really happened.
Oct 10, 2017 9:32 PM

Apr 2016
The first page was SO impactful!! It was sad to see Kaneki reflect, even back to “If I hadn’t met her gaze that day.” :( It’s true that one choice could change your life forever, and you could live with regrets, but all we could do is accept the choices we made and the outcomes, right?

So Kaneki did come back… I’m so sad that Miza said Naki is “asleep” OMG ;______; MIZA IS THE ONLY ONE FROM HER SQUAD LEFT? This is too sad… T_____T Indeed, Naki needs his rest… </3

While Kaneki was running to E14, Ishida gave us a flashback of Furuta giving the operation orders to Suzuya… That made me sad, for sure ;_____; And Suzuya is doing his best for Shinohara’s sake. It’s crazy to think of how much CCG operations cost ><

“Both of you, prepare your wills” ;___________; & the nightmare came true: Suzuya vs. Kaneki. Suzuya’s “Haise. Just so you know, I’m here to kill you.” I still remember Suzuya happily calling out Haise’s name, and getting candy out of his pockets… I never wanted to see them fight like this. Kaneki calls Suzuya “Juuzou” too ;_____; Of course Kaneki would rather have Suzuya step down…

O____________________O I was not expecting to see Kaneki’s body cut up like that!! Why was the fight off-screened??

Wow… Furuta truly is playing the devil here… He even sealed off E14 ahead of time ;___; Furuta really knows Kaneki well! Furuta knew that Kaneki would contemplate the former’s actions, have a gut feeling to come back, and would rely on himself again… OMG, Kaneki, you haven’t changed. Furuta, it was cruel of you to mention Anteiku… T-T

I almost forgot that the 0 Squad and Ui had their fight… It’s sad to see 2 heads. Are all of the 0 Squad members dead then? :( It’s frustrating to see Hazuki, because if he was killed or was imprisoned better, he would not have been active and killed people!!

It was sad to see Touka and the other ghouls, face-to-face with CCG… Truly a dead-end :( This really is a reminder of how the prequel ended… </3
Oct 13, 2017 6:01 AM

Feb 2013
Wtf, they lost.
Kaneki was destroyed.
Nov 20, 2017 6:04 AM

Jan 2015
I find it bullshit that some random goth and the shitty emo guy could beat kaneki tbh...
I hope juuzo will die soon.
Dec 1, 2017 10:19 AM

Aug 2015
WHAT A FUCK IS THIS??????????
Dec 4, 2017 11:03 AM
May 2012
SeidouTZ said:
fullmetal-ghoul said:
You need to understand that this chapter is not a cheap rehash of part 1's ending, nor is it a parallel for the sake of being a parallel. Both part 1 and this have different intended effects on the reader.

In part 1, Kaneki's downward spiral was built up and played out beautifully, it was made obvious that it would end in tragedy as a result of Kaneki identifying his flaws too late. By making it clear things would end in tragedy, this really depressing but engaging atmosphere is created which is Ishida's intended effect.

However, in :Re and this chapter its completely different, and while yes, shock factor plays a much larger role (and this should not always have negative connotations, it worked brilliantly here imo), its so much more than that. In the past 50 or so chapters of :Re, Ishida has seemingly been building up Kaneki for success, he's no longer suicidal, he wants to live and is taking his role as OEK seriously now.

But while its undeniable the effect Ishida want to create is for us to be shocked and feel despair, what's crucial is that the underlying senese and build up of tragedy was still there, we just never noticed because of how Kaneki was developing as a person. It's still great writing. Not once is it shown that Kaneki has moved past his fatal flaws (but yes, he has made an attampt to improve), and identifying said flaws and moving past them are two completely different things. I'm sure all of us have at least once realised we have a negative trait, but have done nothing to rectify it at that moment. In this sense, its more realistic for Kaneki to fall back on his mindset built from his childhood, especially given how weak he is mentally. He has made an effort to move past his flaws, but once he gets desperate he reverts back to how he naturally thinks, which is completely realistic.

The most understandable criticism I've seen of this chapter is that Kaneki's development was destroyed, but that's not the case, its more he hasn't developed enough. He hasn't overcome his fatal character flaws, and no that doesn't mean his character in :re was wasted at all. His transition from Haise, to the suicidal Black Reaper, to the OEK seeking motivation and reason to live, to the person he is now was still brilliantly done, and he has improved upon his flaws, but he still has a lot of room to grow and this chapter is the perfect stepping stone for that.

I also recommend giving this a read if you haven't already:
http://linkspooky.tumblr.com/post/165973792540/the-hardest-lessons-learned

You are stretching too hard to try justefy this. Someone being unsuccessful does not automatically equate to realism nor it makes sence in terms of how a story should be build upon.

This chapter did not make us readers by any way feel "shocked and feel despair", it is just annoying at this point because no matter how many chapters of build up are written, in the end Ishida will always ultimately just opt to go for the route that the readers least expect. No matter how much kaneki changes in terms of personality, no matter how much the author builds him up in terms of phisical strength, no matter how much he might improve himself because in the end non of that matters and Ishida will just have him lose for the sake of a "tragedy".

You could have skipped Re almost entirely because nothing substancial had changed, that is a sign of bad writting not realism. You could go on and on about how this correlates kaneki personal flaws, but in the end does that even matter at this point? 50+ chapter of progression down the toilet for what? An unorthodox/tragic ending? No, that is not a good justification.
You wouldn't forgive an anime/manga for having no real sense of progression or it constantly repeat itself, so why should Re have a pass?

You fucking said it, man.
It all feels so cheap. Tragedy my ass. I let it all pass, but this chapter was just pure bullshit. The fight wasn't even shown.
Dec 17, 2017 1:47 AM

Oct 2015
I will still hate this chapter for skipping the fight. Skipping kakuja ken vs two aratas was the definition of premature ejaculation.
Jan 10, 2018 1:04 AM

Oct 2015
keragamming said:
I'm still trying to figure out if I'm going to start reading this series again after dropping it, the fact that I'm at the latest chapter discussion getting spoiled, just shows that I've lost interest in this series.

Kja95 said:
People don't want to understand that this is a tragedy story and not a shonen manga

I swear it lately started to be shonen like and I was about to drop it

I read Tokyo ghoul for something like this
and if I complain about something it would be because the fight went off screen nothing else

What happened to kaneki here is the same as what happened at the end of the prequel manga and that's smart from ishida

As long as there is a sequel it is the best surprising chapter it is the worst if there is no sequel and that's obviously not true

10/10 chapter and looking forward to the last conclusive mangaka and don't worry it will have a happy ending with out doubt

-_- You see these are the comments that annoy me the most, people can think this is the deepest shit since slice bread, I don't care that is there opinion, but when you say shit like this, it just shows that you don't know what you are talking about.

I didn't know shounen manga means rainbow and sunshine, and also a manga being dark or being publish in a seinen magazine doesn't mean its writing is good. have you ever taken a look at the seinen list on mal? They aren't all tragedy and dark, the same can be said about shounen series.

You saying tokyo ghoul is not a shounen magazine therefore it is good and must be dark, is the equivalent of someone saying a series is mature just because it has a lot of gore in it.

@loli_a_ravioli I'm in the same boat as you, it is so annoying. I look at a few youtube review on this chapter and look at the comment section, and all I see is people saying, stuff like '' stick to your shounen manga, this is a seinen! it is suppose to be dark!'' -_-

Reminds me of when I first watch elfin lied when I was young, and thought it was a mature series because of all the gore. That is what those comments remind me of, myself when I was 13/14 years old.

Chronical said:
wow.. just fucking wow. Damn, ishida. I was expecting a typical happy ending, kaneki defeating suzuya and hanabe and running away with touka, hinami and the others, but no. I know that this can't be the end, with so many characters unresolved, so I look forward to the third series. (unless ishida wants to leave us with a cheap plot twist ending...)

-_- this is what I'm talking about, tokyo ghoulre is getting praise for following the typical formula for a dark story. Happy ending is actually rare in a series full of horror and tragedy, so I find it weird how some people are surprise by this outcome.

If you are reading a dark tone story in most cases there are two types of ending, either a dark hopeless/sad ending or a bittersweet ending. smh I guess people like you haven't watch/read a lot of dark tone series.

Reading this thread again and I really like this response about comparing Seinans to Shonens is pretty true. For example "Welcome to the NHK" is a Seinen and it does not try to be overly dark and has a good end and "Devilman" was originally published in a Shonen magazine so can be referred as shonen according to these peoples logic and look how dark and depressing that series is and yes it did not have a happy ending.

The excuse for the delivery in this chapter was because it is kens perspective which is pretty shitty since he was absent in all the other chapters before 143, I think the arc would have been way better if it was mostly kens perspective like in the 20th ward raid in the original rather then the rest of the cast before ken showed up cause we were following their perspectives and it was all over the place with the likes of Touka running around and ending up in constant cliffhangers and had a pointless fight shown between mutsuki and yomo that had no effect on the plot with a lot of content that could be skipped.

Also being told Ken did not change after two hundred chapters is pretty lame and can ruin someones expectations when the story continues.
Nov 16, 2018 9:39 AM

Jan 2016
Top 10 mindfuck animemanga.
Nov 29, 2018 1:48 PM

Feb 2013
Nooo, he can't die!
Mar 12, 2019 11:16 PM

Mar 2018
And I thought black dog and the legendary demon ape getting pointlessly killed off screen was the most bull fucking shit thing I had ever read...
May 17, 2020 2:23 PM

Jun 2017
Hahaha! Rejoice! I literally applauded when I saw Kaneki lose all his limbs! I never gave a damn about his character. Especially that Touka! They belong to each other indeed. Why can't they die together eh??😊

I'm glad Suzuya is still alive. But my prediction is Urie, with the help of Hide, would make huge roles in this. I bet they will appear anytime to save the one-eyed king's a$$.

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Mar 6, 2021 2:30 PM
Apr 2020
sweet mother of god, that was insane. I wanted to see the fight though, but Suzuya has surpassed Arima
Jan 12, 2022 4:33 PM

Sep 2014
Lmao what, surely this is not real

As if.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Dec 11, 2022 4:22 PM
Jul 2018
they off screened out MC 😭😭😭😭
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 181 Discussion

Raizel - Aug 8, 2018

48 by flesh123 »»
Apr 12, 1:47 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 125 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Z4K - May 20, 2017

333 by CanderousTheOrdo »»
Apr 5, 5:04 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 179 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 10, 2018

33 by ren_moon »»
Mar 13, 11:06 PM

» Tokyo Ghoul:re Conclusion Then vs Now

PSN - Jan 12, 2022

10 by Zero01guard »»
Dec 26, 2023 10:10 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re Chapter 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

lunar1412 - Dec 29, 2014

204 by Buddistic »»
Sep 14, 2023 6:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.