Forum Settings
Forums

Does spoilers affect how you enjoy the show?

New
Sep 5, 2017 8:31 AM

Apr 2017
A while back, I never thought I would get into anime so I watched Bleach episode 308-310 and also with One Piece I spoiled the entire Marine Ford arc without even watching the first episode of One Piece. However it didn't seem to ruin the experience of what happened when I got into anime. This happened with quite a few series but sometimes it was like a blessing in disguise because when I read the wiki on the anime and endings, I feel relieved if the series turned out to be trash...saves a lot of time.

What's your view on it the topic?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 5, 2017 8:34 AM

Mar 2012
Sometimes if it actually available I'm actively looking for spoiler. It's an incentive to make me continue.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Sep 5, 2017 8:37 AM

Jul 2015
spoilers can ruin a mystery thriller anime

i always spoil the ending of harems/love triangles for myself
tsundere route is scary
Sep 5, 2017 8:39 AM
Aug 2017
Really depends on the spoiler . Recently i saw a big Clannad spoiler and i'm trying to forget it so i have to postpone watching it but for animez with multiple arcs it's not a big problem .
Example : if You told tell me that
would win the Dark Tournament in Yu Yu Hakusho , it's not a problem since i was expecting it .
Overall , If it's a BIG spoiler then yes , it's going to affect my watching experience .
Sep 5, 2017 8:41 AM

Sep 2014
That honestly depends on the kind of spoiler. Some shows can be ruined if the spoiler is pretty big and the show depends on it. Big twists and all that. Thrillers are especially susceptible to this.
Sep 5, 2017 8:46 AM

Dec 2016
Obviously, for example, in Owarimonogatari 2nd Season, if someone had spoiled me who was Ougi Oshino, it wouldn't have had any impact, or in Baccano with Rail Tracer.
Sep 5, 2017 8:49 AM

Jul 2013
In some cases, it can ruin the experience of watching the anime, but, on the other hand, spoilers can also make you look forward to a certain event of x series and (in some cases), it can even make you want to watch the series.
They are a double-sword edge at best.
Sep 5, 2017 8:50 AM

Feb 2013
le journey not le destination

i mean it does affect but not necesarily in a negative way, now you can better see the buildup to the event or some shit liek that
Sep 5, 2017 9:06 AM

Apr 2017
tragedydesu said:
spoilers can ruin a mystery thriller anime

i always spoil the ending of harems/love triangles for myself
tsundere route is scary
Yeah before harems, I look at the wiki or even MAL for the the comments
Sep 5, 2017 9:07 AM

Mar 2017
yes, Like the time I was looking at some threads suddenly a niggah just jumped and spoiled me at something about Code Gaess about a certain character. Now I'm hesitant to watch it.
Sep 5, 2017 9:11 AM

Apr 2017
IcecreamDrew said:
yes, Like the time I was looking at some threads suddenly a niggah just jumped and spoiled me at something about Code Gaess about a certain character. Now I'm hesitant to watch it.
Code Geass was spoiled for me too but it didn't really diminish the viewing experience
Sep 5, 2017 9:13 AM

Nov 2016
There are times when spoilers can help me push through a series. I never would have experienced Katanagatari, Texhnolyze, Kaiba, and Princess Tutu if it weren't for spoilers
Sep 5, 2017 9:14 AM

Apr 2017
ambrose7 said:
That honestly depends on the kind of spoiler. Some shows can be ruined if the spoiler is pretty big and the show depends on it. Big twists and all that. Thrillers are especially susceptible to this.
I saw the ending of Erased before I watched the series but the result was obvious so it didn't really keep me interested
Sep 5, 2017 9:18 AM

Jan 2017
yes. spoilers can completely ruin thrillers with mystery elements.
Sep 5, 2017 9:34 AM

Sep 2014
harshtruth said:
ambrose7 said:
I saw the ending of Erased before I watched the series but the result was obvious so it didn't really keep me interested

Erased was too obvious though. I really don't think that counts lol.
Sep 5, 2017 9:36 AM

Sep 2014
harshtruth said:
IcecreamDrew said:
Code Geass was spoiled for me too but it didn't really diminish the viewing experience

Well that must be you then because knowing the ending kind of ruins the whole "What's the Zero Requiem?" thing.
Sep 5, 2017 9:56 AM

Apr 2016
It can ruin the experience sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't. It depends on the anime I think.

For example - if I were to spoil Shingeki no Kyojin right now (since I read the manga), I'm sure a lot of people will kill me and I'll get banned for life.

There are times when I stay away from certain anime discussions because I don't wanna get spoiled about an anime that I'm about to watch.
For example - I haven't watched Kimi no Na Wa yet. So I stay away from anything related to it.

As I said, it depends on the anime.
Sep 5, 2017 10:01 AM
Jul 2018
They can affect my experience to some extent. However they usually would not make me dislike something I would otherwise like. Sometimes a spoiler can kinda make me anticipate certain events, so if a character dies and I know he/she dies it may not discourage me, hell it may want me see that moment and how did he/she ended up in that situation. Kinda the reason I like non-chronological stories, I think there is some enjoyment in finding out why rather than what. Nevertheless I rather avoid spoilers at all costs as I want to experience everythi g with as little knowledge of it as possible.
Sep 5, 2017 10:05 AM
Sep 2017
My dad would sometimes start a novel and then skip to the end and if he didn't like how it ended then he would stop reading it. He said it never ruined his experience and saved him a lot of otherwise wasted reading hours. I myself don't go that far, but if something is spoiled I don't rule myself out of that series.
Sep 5, 2017 10:08 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Somewhat, I guess, but not much. I'd never get mad about being spoiled in of itself, because it doesn't change the journey from point A to point B, but at the same time it'd damper a surprising plot development or something.

A good or surprising narrative itself just isn't especially important to me to where it'd really bother me significantly, though, anyway. I'm usually more interested in things like character interaction or the setting/atmosphere (both of which can be boosted by a narrative, which is probably where I'd consider it the most important) or the titties. Especially the titties. Titties r gud.

Sep 5, 2017 10:08 AM

Apr 2017
ambrose7 said:
harshtruth said:

I really didn't think it was too obvious, I honestly expected Satoru and Kayo to be together.

Sep 5, 2017 10:10 AM

Sep 2014
NYJustin said:
ambrose7 said:

I really didn't think it was too obvious, I honestly expected Satoru and Kayo to be together.

I was talking about the identity of the killer. Kayo thing surprised me as well.
Sep 5, 2017 10:11 AM

Apr 2017
ambrose7 said:
NYJustin said:

I was talking about the identity of the killer. Kayo thing surprised me as well.

I couldn't tell if the teacher was the actual killer because it was just TOO obvious

Sep 5, 2017 10:40 AM

Jul 2014
yeah it acc does...especially when ur really looking forward to a show that u wanna personally experience for yourself and someone tells you whats gonna happen....kinds spoils the surprise dosent it... :/
Sep 5, 2017 10:43 AM

Jul 2017
I agree with most replies posted here. Spoilers can ruin or encourage you to watch some series. For exemple, I think it would be really bad if someone spoils you about an anime like Steins Gate, I think it would ruin your experience. However, a friend of mine spoiled me about Hai to Gensou no Grimgar, and I enjoyed it as much as him (who was not spoiled), and as said up there, I also look for spoilers with some romance stories which are extended much if i'm about to drop the series. I also have to say that I hate people who tries to spoil people who don't want to be spoiled. If someone wants search for spoilers i think its up to everyone.
Sep 5, 2017 10:48 AM

Nov 2009
harshtruth said:
What's your view on it the topic?

A good show does not get worse from being spoiled. A really good story can be watched again and again.
I've been told that always happens to mysteries and thrillers. This means they're bad stories.

But if I want to watch some mystery, thriller or other twisty story, I can just wait half of a year, forget the spoilers, and watch the show.

When all else fails, I can just read the spoilers, and don't watch the work in question, because who cares?
Sep 5, 2017 10:52 AM

Aug 2009
I'm about the journey, not the destination.

Sep 5, 2017 10:59 AM

Nov 2014
It really only spoils shows that are building up for something, has something unexpected in them, have a mystery in them or maybe even a harem anime for some people
Sep 5, 2017 11:09 AM

Sep 2014
Yes of course it does, maybe not to the extent that people make it out to be but it definitely would be a different experience either way. There are many factors that come into play such as the extent and nature of the spoiler and the person being spoiled, but in general, it's not the end of the world.
I personally was spoiled the ending to Toradora yet it still was an emotional gut punch anyway. We can see this effect from rewatching a series; even though you know how the sequence of events play out, what really sells it is the delivery and presentation.

Of course, there are some spoilers that change the context of the entire story and basically ruins your first-time experience with it, these are less forgivable since you are robbed of experiencing the surprise in the way the artist intended.

As for determining whether or not you would like a show based on this, I think reviews are better suited to let you figure that out. More often than not it's how the sequence of events are presented that make good stories rather than the events themselves. Reading a spoiler of events hardly lets you experience the show first hand like reviewers have done.

Bottom line is to be careful, spoilers are one of the many things in your experience you cannot take back (unless you forget things easily). It is better to be safe than sorry.
Sep 5, 2017 12:03 PM

Jan 2010
Spoilers GREATLY RUINED a show for me. Especially when the story's main appeal is that one plot twist. Like Madoka, Your Lie in April...

However, there are anime that managed to be enjoyable even after I got spoiled big time. Like One Piece, I got spoiled about a certain character death, but it still managed to be immensely enjoyable and the death is still affected me greatly since it's executed so perfectly. And also SnK because I got spoiled about the identity of the titan shifters (it's still a little bummer but the revelation is still pretty epic), and about Erwin's arm, I reaaaaaaaaaaallly wish I didn't get spoiled about this one. I would have been shocked to death and feared for Erwin's life sooo much more If I didn't already know he is going to life through the arc... the experience would be 1000x times more thriling. I got spoiled a lot in SnK and I hated it SO. DAMN. MUCH. I regretted it everyday.
Sep 5, 2017 12:42 PM

Apr 2014
i usually get into anime because of spoilers. someone spoiled hunter x hunter for me
and that made me really interested in it and then i binge watched it.
Sep 5, 2017 12:47 PM
Jul 2018
I am actually unspoilable. No matter how much spoiler you tell me, tell me the whole story even. I'll watch it anyway just to see with my own eyes how it happens. That gets me even more hooked on the anime because of them.
Sep 5, 2017 12:51 PM
Aug 2017
It doesn't really make a difference to me, like you I like for spoilers too if available. I don't want to read manga but if I really wanna know what happens next I look for spoilers
Sep 5, 2017 1:42 PM

Apr 2014
Spoilers make me rush an anime because I want to get past the spoiled part as soon as possible. I dislike spoilers because of that yet still manage to always spoil myself with my curiousity.
Swagernator said:
@NoLiferSoul did nothing wrong!

Ardanaz said:
@Nolifersoul did nothing wrong
Sep 5, 2017 1:47 PM

Feb 2015
To some degree. I think there are certain elements/scenes in the series that shouldn't be said or be a meme... Yeah... I'm looking at you School Days.

And yeah, I'm look at the skies and thinking about that certain one who just speaks faster than a character in 10x speed when he spoiled it to me.

And yes, up to this day, I still can't get over it thus I haven't watched the series.
Sep 5, 2017 1:48 PM

Sep 2012
I dont like spoilers at all. Even if it is about an event in SoL show.
Sep 5, 2017 1:49 PM

Jun 2017
I knew everything about SnK and still loved it so no.
I'm a shitposter for fun
Sep 6, 2017 3:25 AM

May 2015
They ruin the surprise effect, which does make anime more fun. However, a great anime will still be good even if you know what will happen next. Great art is about what happens now and does more than keep you guessing. Else it won't stick in your mind.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Sep 6, 2017 3:41 AM

Jan 2013
For me, there are two kinds of approaches: watching it for plot or watching it for characters and the overall atmosphere. When I watch sth for the first time I prefer to take the 1st approach, so spoilers will obviously ruin my enjoyment. If I want to take the 2nd approach, I'll re-watch the series - I re-watch a lot of series I enjoyed and it's not a problem for me at all. And I'll already know what happens so I'll focus on other aspects of the anime. What I'm trying to say, those are two completely different experiences for me, and I don't want to be forced to only experience one of them so I hate when people spoil something for me. I do ocassionally search for spoilers myself, but it's pretty rare and it depends on a series (mostly happens when I can't stand the tension or the feels are too overwhelming - for example, when watching Berserk or Owari no Seraph I had to skim through the last episode before even reaching the middle of the series).
fuyukiSep 6, 2017 4:20 AM
Sep 6, 2017 4:06 AM

Oct 2016
I don't really enjoy shows for the shock factor, I prefer experiences that are more lasting than that, so I don't care about spoilers.

That said, why would a person actively look for spoilers? Some of these responses surprise me.
Sep 6, 2017 4:22 AM

Nov 2013
Yes, some spoilers are okay, but if they are too important to the story like a death or couple ending then I will probably get mad honestly. You pretty much have to go looking for spoilers though for it to be happening to you with any anime that isn't already extremely popular.
Sep 6, 2017 4:26 AM

Jul 2017
I don't think so, I spoiled myself all the Danganronpa deaths and it's still my favourite show.

(Also I did the same thing with Corpse Party and I still love it)
Sep 6, 2017 4:41 AM

Oct 2016
KaoruYuuki said:
I don't think so, I spoiled myself all the Danganronpa deaths and it's still my favourite show.

What's the spoiler to Corpse Party?

Sep 6, 2017 4:46 AM

Aug 2014
Nope.
I almost never affected by spoiler.
Even in game after watching people playing,walkthrough or spoiled by internet , i stilll enjoy it.
Sep 6, 2017 5:02 AM

Jul 2017
SillySlySy said:
KaoruYuuki said:

What's the spoiler to Corpse Party?

I spoiled myself all the deaths.

Sep 6, 2017 5:07 AM

Jul 2016
Well I was able to enjoy Death Note despite having basically the entire plot spoiled for me.

If an anime has nothing going for it except shock value then it's a problem, but I can still go back and enjoy my favorite animes even though I know what's gonna happen.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 6, 2017 5:35 AM
Aug 2016
I don't care about spoilers, because I will enjoy the spoiled part pretty much the same as if it wasn't spoiled.
Sep 6, 2017 6:15 AM

Apr 2017
I'll spoil myself if I have no incentive to watch the show. It may make me interested. But if I want to watch it/ currently watch it, I avoid them like the plague.

It makes me think about the spoiler before it happens and just want it to happen soon so that I don't have to have it loom over my head any longer
Big breast are full of dreams, but small breast are full of hope.
Sep 6, 2017 6:17 AM

Aug 2017
I don't like episode synopsis let alone spoilers.
Sep 6, 2017 6:35 AM

May 2017
It really depends on the genre of the certain anime... But for any other that isn't actually some kind of mystery or something that depends on that stuff I'm actually glad to get a spoiler.. Makes me more interested in the show
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why Don't You Watch More Spooky Anime?

LenRea - 2 hours ago

8 by Subarctic-Forest »»
6 minutes ago

» Why are prudes trying to censor anime?

GoatPieceLuffy - Yesterday

43 by PeripheralVision »»
13 minutes ago

» Write your takes in anime and I'll prove you're incorrect. ( 1 2 3 )

Gashadokur0 - May 21

114 by Gashadokur0 »»
16 minutes ago

» Does Old Anime age poorly or do people age poorly?

Dragevard - 19 minutes ago

0 by Dragevard »»
19 minutes ago

» Popular and acclaimed anime that you do not understand the hype of?

Semester1 - 9 hours ago

33 by ToG25thBaam »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.