Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 22, 8:47 PM
Sep 2022
I genuinely don't understand.

If they hate sexual scenes so much, couldn't they just ignore any anime/show that has it instead of
complaining about it & wanting it to get banned?
๐™Š๐™ฃ๐™š ๐™‹๐™ž๐™š๐™˜๐™š ๐™ฅ๐™–๐™˜๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™ž๐™จ ๐™ฅ๐™š๐™ง๐™›๐™š๐™˜๐™ฉ๐™ก๐™ฎ ๐™›๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™š. - ๐™•๐™–๐™˜๐™
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 22, 8:49 PM

Dec 2021
Why do I feel like this thread's gonna end up like some previous threads, where people scream about politics before the thread gets locked?
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. ๐Ÿ™‚ But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
May 22, 8:50 PM
Sep 2022
Reply to Daviljoe193
Why do I feel like this thread's gonna end up like some previous threads, where people scream about politics before the thread gets locked?
@Daviljoe193

Let's hope that doesn't happen.
๐™Š๐™ฃ๐™š ๐™‹๐™ž๐™š๐™˜๐™š ๐™ฅ๐™–๐™˜๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™ž๐™จ ๐™ฅ๐™š๐™ง๐™›๐™š๐™˜๐™ฉ๐™ก๐™ฎ ๐™›๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™š. - ๐™•๐™–๐™˜๐™
May 22, 8:57 PM

Dec 2019
Reply to Daviljoe193
@Daviljoe193 Because it is. I WILL argue with people because I am genetically predisposed to do so.
Pretend there's something flashy and cool here.
May 22, 9:03 PM

Oct 2018
That's a horrible thing, mister GoatPieceLuffy!!
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Perhaps, this is hell.
May 22, 9:04 PM
Sep 2022
Reply to Phosphophyllita
That's a horrible thing, mister GoatPieceLuffy!!
@Phosphophyllita

I can guarantee you want censorship above anything else.
May 22, 9:09 PM

Oct 2018
Reply to GoatPieceLuffy
@Phosphophyllita

I can guarantee you want censorship above anything else.
@GoatPieceLuffy how did you know, mister GoatPieceLuffy? My opinion and my taste are all that matters in this world, everything else should be censored.

Hope you have a nice day, mister GoatPieceLuffy. God bless you
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Perhaps, this is hell.
May 22, 9:10 PM

Mar 2013
Criticism does not tantamount to censorship.
May 22, 9:11 PM
Sep 2022
Reply to PeripheralVision
@PeripheralVision

Not everyone thinks sexualized scenes are bad.
May 22, 9:15 PM

Aug 2021
brain damaged mal users are unable to go one second without making a dumb ass thread
May 22, 9:16 PM
Sep 2022
Reply to mentalmondai
brain damaged mal users are unable to go one second without making a dumb ass thread
@mentalmondai

Insult me more, senpai.
May 22, 9:16 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to Daviljoe193
@Daviljoe193 100% going to happen. No one can talk about anything like this without it turning into some "us vs them" tribalism bullshit.
May 22, 9:26 PM

Aug 2021
Reply to GoatPieceLuffy
@mentalmondai

Insult me more, senpai.
@GoatPieceLuffy yeah gang dont ever say that to me again

May 22, 9:26 PM

Jan 2009
the loudest complains are sexualizing minors thats it especially in usa that even 14-16 years olds are called minors
May 22, 9:27 PM
Sep 2022
Reply to mentalmondai
@GoatPieceLuffy yeah gang dont ever say that to me again

@mentalmondai

Why not my fellow egg brethren?
May 22, 9:31 PM

May 2020
While this is a very volatile subject, I too am genuinely curious why (not just anime, but media in general). I guess there has always been censorship and maybe there always will be, certainly things have been way worse in some parts of the world and in some time periods than others.

I guess it's just a very polarising subject. It's also a subject that is hard to defend, its hard to push back and say, you know what, artists have a right of artistic expression even if it hurts someones feelings.

I think a bit part of it is complicity by those who actually want to have the things that are being censored.
May 22, 9:41 PM

Mar 2013
Reply to GoatPieceLuffy
@PeripheralVision

Not everyone thinks sexualized scenes are bad.
@GoatPieceLuffy

Neither do I, but I am responding to this part of your original post.

If they hate sexual scenes so much, couldn't they just ignore any anime/show that has it instead of

Just because one does not like your favorite series does not mean they think that such series does not deserve to be taken off the air or be cancelled or whatever. Criticism is merely an expression of dislike of a series and of its parts, but this does not indicate any greater effort on behalf of those criticism to "censor" a work.

Conflating all criticisms with attempts at actual censorship, all people critical of a work with online bullies, is in fact closer to the dystopian future of censorship that you are vehemently against than the criticism itself; are we supposed to not say anything negative about a work out of fear of it hurting someone's feelings?

I rather not, and let people be honest about what they think of a work.
May 22, 9:46 PM
Sep 2022
@GoatPieceLuffy

Neither do I, but I am responding to this part of your original post.

Just because one does not like your favorite series does not mean they think that such series does not deserve to be taken off the air or be cancelled or whatever. Criticism is merely an expression of dislike of a series and of its parts, but this does not indicate any greater effort on behalf of those criticism to "censor" a work.

Conflating all criticisms with attempts at actual censorship, all people critical of a work with online bullies, is in fact closer to the dystopian future of censorship that you are vehemently against than the criticism itself; are we supposed to not say anything negative about a work out of fear of it hurting someone's feelings?

I rather not, and let people be honest about what they think of a work.
@PeripheralVision

Dawg, most people who have criticized Jobless Reincarnation have shared such ideals. (pro-censorship)

I'm not saying you can't criticize something but to keep complaining about it is ridiculous.

May 22, 9:50 PM

Sep 2018
Simply put dei in companies puts woke moralists in positions of power. It is done so the company gets esg investment from blackrock, vanguard, and gov tax funding. Esg discourages certain kind of sexual content, and it is also trying to abolish the views on the sexes clearly being different. Kind of like youtubers who censor their vids to maintain monetization.
May 22, 10:09 PM

Mar 2013
Reply to GoatPieceLuffy
@PeripheralVision

Dawg, most people who have criticized Jobless Reincarnation have shared such ideals. (pro-censorship)

I'm not saying you can't criticize something but to keep complaining about it is ridiculous.

@GoatPieceLuffy

Maybe this ironic coming from a forum user, but maybe avoid using Twitter; it is certainly not representative of anime fans or critics. I say this because I have seen far, far more discourse surrounding this anime where its fans are accusing its critics of wanting to ban this anime, rather then people actually calling for it to be banned. In fact, I have yet to see any critics actually calling for this anime to be banned. Maybe such an opinion is actual a minority position in general?

I don't use Twitter, and I am all the happier for it.

At this point it is just a bad-faith argument to cry censorship, to discredit critics of this and many other anime.
May 22, 10:29 PM

Oct 2013
Some people find seething as thrilling. That's why you see people clinging to watching stuff that features elements they dislike or hate. No matter if we are talking about prudes watching clearly a spicy anime and yelling about "this is sexualized, that is too pervert", or hentai enthusiasts checking out random non-hentai or non-acchi anime to heavily complain about lack of fanservice or scenes featuring sexual intercourse between two or more character.

That being said, the former group seems to be bigger in number. It's louder, for sure. Why? No idea. However, both sides love to pull up the politics card from their sleeve. It's easier to blame everything on people by using buzzwords such as "woke" or "incel", instead of having a decent chatting. May I remind how some users reacted towards a lot of people daring to say "I don't like promiscuity, here's why, that's why I won't continue watching this show" in KimiZero's anime subforum. Or how some Berserk fans react when someone dares to mention dark fantasy elements appearing in Berserk, which is a dark fantasy story full of stuff that many might find disturbing (which is okay, but again, why watch or read something you don't feel like watching or reading, I wonder?).
โœจSaint Seiya Club๐ŸŒ 
May 22, 10:55 PM

Feb 2023
Remember how it was popular to hate anime up until about 2019? Once it became unpopular to hate anime, these people started to look into gateway anime like Kimetsu no Yaiba, and then began to claim that they had been "huge anime fans all along" (they're obviously lying). These people still think the same things about anime that they did back then, but are now doing it from the inside rather than the outside. Anime is not for puritans, and I recommend that they leave anime forever.

I would write more, but I feel like I've covered this before and I'm too lazy to type it again. Maybe I'll edit this comment later. Also it's like 4 AM.
May 22, 11:23 PM
Jun 2021
Anime causes seething in both sides of the extreme political spectrum. The right wing claims that anime are the source of current-day degeneracy (lol no) while the left is stuck in perpetual whining about how beauty is somehow "objectifying" women.
In reality, anime fanservice is nothing compared to some styles prevalent in today's fashion. Like, I've seen some teenage girls in nothing more but a bra and shorts, I'd say that's far more egregious than any fanservice anime has to offer.
Hot Blood saves lives.
May 22, 11:28 PM

Jun 2016
It's my duty as a follower of Christ to not let satanic media corrupt the population.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 22, 11:34 PM

Aug 2018
Think about the children. We don't want them staring at Nami's and Nico Robin's badonkers, now, can we? They'll be influenced and do bad stuff.

๐Ÿ˜ค
May 22, 11:34 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to TheMechaManiac
Anime causes seething in both sides of the extreme political spectrum. The right wing claims that anime are the source of current-day degeneracy (lol no) while the left is stuck in perpetual whining about how beauty is somehow "objectifying" women.
In reality, anime fanservice is nothing compared to some styles prevalent in today's fashion. Like, I've seen some teenage girls in nothing more but a bra and shorts, I'd say that's far more egregious than any fanservice anime has to offer.
@TheMechaManiac Yeah, pretty much this. People like to seethe, and radicals of both sides like to do it especially loud and obnoxiously, lol. Both sides of the extreme political spectrum want to have their own boogeyman to blame for all negativity happening in the world. Well, subjective negativity, because both sides, though different, can shake their own hands with how they tend to call out anything that does not follow their political agenda as "unacceptable" and shove it down everyone's throats. Kind of like Lemongrab from Adventure Time cartoon.

โœจSaint Seiya Club๐ŸŒ 
May 22, 11:35 PM

Sep 2016
cuz some wanna impose their prudishness on fiction.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 22, 11:35 PM

May 2018
"Why are prudes trying to censor anime?"

They aren't even prudes, since they don't mind all the rape and murder in Game Of Thrones for example.

They are just control freaks, who love to force their own ideals on foreign cultures...like centuries of forcing Christianity (plus very profitable enslaving and pillaging of the local resources) wasn't bad enough, people coming from the same roots still want to tell everybody else what to do.
May 23, 12:11 AM

Mar 2023
People on both side of the political spectrum that opposes degeneracy will acuse the other side of promoting it.

While people on both side of the political spectrum that support degeneracy will acuse the other side of opposing it.

May 23, 12:18 AM

Mar 2008
Because they are mislead into believing they are doing something good that is actually harmful.
May 23, 1:18 AM
Feb 2014
They are not just "trying" censorship of anime has already began it seems, as can be seen by the censorship of Re:Zero's third season and two other Isekai airing in the summer (as far as i've observed). As isekai was conceived with a certain audience in mind that actually likes this type of content, so censoring it seems pointless to me.

I personally just do a little research beforehand so i know if an anime has things i'd rather avoid watching, no point in trying to change something when i could just easily watch the myriad of other anime available out there lol.

My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
May 23, 2:53 AM

Dec 2022
They don't actually care, it's just more thrilling to for people to rail against innocuous, harmless things than tangible evils. There's no controvery to be had for culture warriors and virtual police in speaking out against rape, animal abuse, forced marriage, thievery, serial killing, etc., because they'd be preaching to the choir; these acts are universally understood to infringe on the agency of others without sufficient reason, so they can't generate satisfaction from the non-existent uproar generated by speaking out against them.

On the other hand, sexy and cute anime girls are loved by many, and completely innocent. Trying to destroy such things is much more entertaining for culture warriors, since they not only get that tribalistic sense of camaraderie from aligning with their fellow neo-puritans, but they also know that there will be obvious controversy generated from their vindictive desire to destroy even the most innocuous of interests, so long as they don't share them. Their psyches are a veritable maelstrom of human arrogance, malevolence and entitlement.

๏ฝฒไน‡ๅˆ€ไน‡ไนƒๅฐบ๏พ‘ไน‡
ใŠŽ ใŠฐ
โ˜ฝ Shaded Horizon โ˜พ

May 23, 3:03 AM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Because roasties get mad that men are paying more attention to cute & lovable anime waifus than them.
Also because the modern youth are brainwashed at schools to feel offended at sexuality. I'm not joking.
May 23, 3:14 AM

Sep 2016
@PeripheralVision But criticism leads to censorship, without criticism there would be much less censorship.
ZarutakuMay 23, 4:36 AM
May 23, 3:15 AM
Sep 2022
Reply to Zarutaku
@PeripheralVision But criticism leads to censorship, without criticism there would be much less censorship.
@Zarutaku

This comment blew my mind ngl.
May 23, 3:55 AM

Aug 2022
y'know i was just thinking about this...i wonder how much harder it would be to go about lobbying to un-censor anime, compared to lobbying for the censorship of anime. cause if some fugly old stuck up bitch with a stick up his/her ass can get these places to start censoring shit(more than it already was to begin with...-.-) then why cant we all band together as the actual consumers of this particular type of media, and get these studios/artists to make their work as raw and natural as possible(the way it should've been from the start). i mean its ART! you should be free to do whatever the hell you want. for fuck sake, are we gonna have to start placing black bars on all the old statues and paintings that were made but ass naked? now i understand that some authors/artists purposely censor their works, so they can market it to a wider audience, and that's fine. its THEIR CHOICE to do so...but i also know for a fact that there are quite a few authors/artists out there that hate the fact that they are forced change scenes/outfits/ etc. just to not get in trouble with whoever tf it is that's technically in charge. needless to say...censorship is dumb, and the people that want to censor shit are also equally dumb.

also i apologize if this isn't quite coherent...its freakin 4am and i need sleep lol
May 23, 4:34 AM

Jul 2021
yeah man i don't understand either. i mean who doesn't want to watch 14 year old anime girls in sexual scenarios

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

May 23, 4:35 AM
Apr 2022
People have been censoring anime since the 60s.
May 23, 7:06 AM
Jul 2018
It's the same reason for a lot of the nonsense in the world: money.

Neo-puritans with more money than sense peddling influence and brainwashing the meek.
May 23, 7:10 AM

Jan 2022
Blame their parents. They didn't allow their kids to jerk off.
Also no, even if they want to watch something safe there's bound to be sexual things represented, as the world we live in is pretty much sex.
May 23, 7:17 AM

Jun 2019
Because too many people fundamentally see their own beliefs as ones with universal applicability, correctness, and righteousness and physically cannot understand that not everyone wants the same things as them - either out of art and media or out of every other area of life.

The modern Western variant of this impulse seems to be an updated secularized version of the universalist proselytizing Christianity. Liberal humanism is just the secular modern equivalent with a coat of paint, but same dogmatic impulses and same underlying types of people and mentalities in thrall to it.

They're free to be ideologues all day long, as long as they are prevented from succeeding in shaping all culture to suit their desired values and image and eradicating all contrary culture which falls outside of that.
May 23, 8:13 AM

Feb 2024
I believe it's companies that aim to censor anime for broader appeal (lower PG ratings and availability on major broadcast networks). They simply exploit the voices of prudes to justify their actions.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
May 23, 8:35 AM

Jun 2022
A majority of people who want it to be censored in my opinion come from English speaking countries. This is almost the same as how violent video games were treated in the 1990's with U.S. Senate hearings. The more popular something is the more eyes it will get better or for worse.
May 23, 8:39 AM

Mar 2013
Reply to Zarutaku
Zarutaku said:
But criticism leads to censorship, without criticism there would be much less censorship.

I am not adept at spotting sarcasm in text, but are you serious? I bolded the part I found quite silly. So, in order to avoid censorship of any sort (Including non-government interference such as cancelling, doxxing, book burning, etc), we should avoid voicing our thoughts and opinions on a show unless they are positive or agree with the general consensus.

Hmmm...that does not sound like censorship at all!

I don't understand your throughline. A healthy society entertains disagreements. Sometimes unpopular positions draw backlash. That is just the price we pay for going against the grain. Sometimes the backlash is understandable. Sometimes it goes too far, such as doxxing. That however should not be reason enough to attempt to erase individuality and the differences in opinions that arises from it.

What kind of crybaby society do you want where I cannot avoid voicing my disdain for things because I will hurt someone's feelings?
May 23, 9:11 AM

Apr 2024
how many glass human and snowflake will come to this thread.
oh damn, I hope this thread wont be lock up
xDD
May 23, 9:16 AM
Jun 2021
Reply to Jcmixer27
A majority of people who want it to be censored in my opinion come from English speaking countries. This is almost the same as how violent video games were treated in the 1990's with U.S. Senate hearings. The more popular something is the more eyes it will get better or for worse.
@Jcmixer27 I think America is the biggest offender here. They came late to the anime game (2000s while parts of Europe have been hitting it with anime since the late eighties) plus they think that because MURIKA they can set the rules for everybody else. America is not the center of the world. Like, you've got pretty much the same deal about the whole "representation" issue - only America and several other New World countries are that diverse, Japan is not. You can't expect every single anime to feature a black character when most Japanese haven't even seen a black person IRL.
Hot Blood saves lives.
May 23, 9:27 AM

Jun 2007
Historically, the censorship on ecchi anime has been placed there by Japanese companies and studios in order to comply with Japanese TV broadcast regulations and to sell more VHS/Laserdiscs/DVDs/Blu-Rays to the Japanese fanbase. "You want the good stuff without light beams and magic mist? Pay up for the home video release!" Not because of any globalist conspiracy or political agenda.

Everything that connects to MAL

Contains Ecchi, but not Tagged Ecchi: Part 1 || Part 2 || Part 3

May 23, 9:31 AM

Sep 2016
Zarutaku said:
But criticism leads to censorship, without criticism there would be much less censorship.

I am not adept at spotting sarcasm in text, but are you serious? I bolded the part I found quite silly. So, in order to avoid censorship of any sort (Including non-government interference such as cancelling, doxxing, book burning, etc), we should avoid voicing our thoughts and opinions on a show unless they are positive or agree with the general consensus.

Hmmm...that does not sound like censorship at all!

I don't understand your throughline. A healthy society entertains disagreements. Sometimes unpopular positions draw backlash. That is just the price we pay for going against the grain. Sometimes the backlash is understandable. Sometimes it goes too far, such as doxxing. That however should not be reason enough to attempt to erase individuality and the differences in opinions that arises from it.

What kind of crybaby society do you want where I cannot avoid voicing my disdain for things because I will hurt someone's feelings?
@PeripheralVision This topic is about nudity/sexual content, so what I said means if lots of people criticize that, it leads to sexual censorship and without such criticism there would be less sexual censorship.
This is just a logical conclusion I came up with in response to the apparent downplaying of the effects of such criticism on the censorship, but I didn't say criticism should be avoided or erased, because I'm not like <insert suppressive asshole government of choice>
May 23, 9:38 AM

Jul 2013
Does it matter what they do? Near term human extinction will happen...that is all that matters...
May 23, 9:55 AM

Mar 2013
Reply to Zarutaku
@PeripheralVision This topic is about nudity/sexual content, so what I said means if lots of people criticize that, it leads to sexual censorship and without such criticism there would be less sexual censorship.
This is just a logical conclusion I came up with in response to the apparent downplaying of the effects of such criticism on the censorship, but I didn't say criticism should be avoided or erased, because I'm not like <insert suppressive asshole government of choice>
@Zarutaku Less criticism would functionally achieve the same thing as censorship. Less discussion and diversity of opinion. You cannot position yourself as a bastion of free speech if you say censorship is intrinsic to criticism or conflate the two. It is this tactic that is often used to shut down discussion, especially when saying it in this manner within the context of this thread.

It is putting the cart before the horse anyway. Criticism leads to censorship? Often, a dearth of criticism is symptomatic of censorship, be it from hostile mobs or the government. All criticisms are often rooted in a open difference of opinion. You like something, and by that position you will often be critical of people who do not share that opinion.

In short, both of us are critical of some differing position. Does that alone lead to censorship? You may have a point, but this is like saying stones are made of stone; no would want to shut down an opposing opinion if it does not exist. Racial bigotry would not exist if everyone looked the same, but blaming skin color makes no sense to me. Sexism may exist because men and women exist, but blaming sexual dichotomy is nonsense.

Likewise, me having a different opinion is not responsible for censorship. Do we blame Lolita or All Quiet on The Western Front, both books critical of their subject matter, as responsible for their own censorship, or for the people actually advocating for it to be burnt?

This is just a logical conclusion I came up with in response to the apparent downplaying of the effects of such criticism on the censorship

No offense, but how deleterious, how harmful is Twitter rhetoric? I disagree; too many people in the online community has a persecution complex via social media. People here are often critical of my opinions, but to equate it to any censorship beyond harmless internet discourse is in my eyes unfathomable. Might as well say getting ratioed on Twitter or downvotes on Reddit is censorship.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What is your first impression of LOLI?

Jackieee12312312 - 2 hours ago

7 by Zarutaku »»
47 seconds ago

Poll: » Which real life underdog story would you like to see getting an anime adaptation the most?

Lincompoop - 10 hours ago

10 by Commit_Crime »»
1 minute ago

» What anime studio has the best track record for consistent bangers?

Reshiram_IX - 12 hours ago

33 by WaterMage »»
4 minutes ago

» Does "being an otaku/weeb" still have any meaning in 2024?

thewiru - Yesterday

46 by TransferUser »»
20 minutes ago

» Most Disappointing "Good" Shows

Treatise - Sep 19

40 by AAdira »»
39 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.