Forum Settings
Forums

Are you satisfied with the anime-dubs in your country?

New
Jul 5, 2017 11:49 AM

Dec 2014
Especially the fanbase in Germany is, well....quite difficult if it comes to dubs in anime. How about your country?

Are you satisfied with the price aswell?
Basically every fan in Germany complains about the prices.. if you want to make your own opinion about it...here's a link for the german amazon.

https://www.amazon.de/s/ref=sr_nr_n_1?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A284266%2Cp_n_binding_browse-bin%3A383370011%2Ck%3Aanime&keywords=anime&ie=UTF8&qid=1499280547&rnid=1703609031
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 5, 2017 11:50 AM

Sep 2016
Here in Spain...

Could be better, but it's not bad. The prices are terrible though.
One man is no more than another, if he do no more than what another does.

Jul 5, 2017 11:52 AM

May 2014
I don't think I've ever heard a Norwegian dub, so no.
Jul 5, 2017 11:56 AM

Feb 2015
No only anime that were dubbed even remotely correctly with fitting voices in serbian. Are original Dragonalball which featured cast of actors with leading Dragan Vujic guy is basically 1 of only our actors who knows his shit when it comes too Voice acting in 3d animated movies real profesional. He also done Dbz up until battle with Ginyu Force. All other Dbz dubs cast (we had 3-4 in total) were absolutely horrible.

Vujke was also leading role in Digimons adventure S1 and S2 and maybe Original Yugioh that dub was decent not sure if he dubbed that . And Bayblade too some degree.

Everything else anime releated like those bakugans and stuff were cancer filled.
Jul 5, 2017 11:57 AM

Jun 2016
Nope not at all cause basically every dubs sound way to cringe.
Jul 5, 2017 11:57 AM
Nov 2015
Never it's the worst shit that has ever been dubbed, if anime was dubbed in a daily basis from that language I would never watch anime on this country so no I will not :D
Jul 5, 2017 11:58 AM

Dec 2014
Ericonator said:

Would you buy it if there is a dub or a retail release (legal)?
Jul 5, 2017 12:05 PM

May 2014
statherian said:
Ericonator said:

Would you buy it if there is a dub or a retail release (legal)?
That's hard to say, since usually if I'm watching something, it's almost always in english or japanese. If I could hear some lines from it and it sounded good then maybe. It's going to be really expensive where I live though, due to our economy.
Jul 5, 2017 12:12 PM

Aug 2016
Noesnecesario said:
Here in Spain...

You've seen Selecta's release for JoJo, haven't you?

70€ just for Phantom Blood. Fucking fuck me sideways.
Jul 5, 2017 12:13 PM

Feb 2013
xD romanian dubs is just pokemon and maybe some toy selling shows
Jul 5, 2017 12:16 PM

Sep 2016
Stein_ said:
Noesnecesario said:
Here in Spain...

You've seen Selecta's release for JoJo, haven't you?

70€ just for Phantom Blood. Fucking fuck me sideways.

Yeah, and the dub is not that good either. Well, we finally have manga, so, there's that.
One man is no more than another, if he do no more than what another does.

Jul 5, 2017 2:14 PM

Aug 2014
Ericonator said:

Same her in Belgium, they only dub the anime for children like Pokémon, Beyblade, Yokai Watch,...
Jul 5, 2017 2:21 PM

Apr 2017
I guess the Anime I watched in Cartoon Network an others during my childhood had a decent dub, but at the time I probably did not care much about it.

Most of the Anime I watch now I don't even know if it is dubbed in Spanish, I just stick to subtitles, English or Spanish, both are fine.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 5, 2017 2:28 PM

Jul 2013
The only thing they dubbed in my country were Pokemon, Yu gi oh, Bakugan and Zenki haha. xD
But yeah, the opening of Zenki was marvelous in ''my'' language lol.
Jul 5, 2017 2:35 PM
Feb 2016
All dubs are shit including the Cowboy Bebop dub.

Just look at this comparison OF ONE WORD:

Steve Blum can't even get one word without putting in an annoying grunt and making it sound like a corny western.
Jul 5, 2017 2:38 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I don't really watch dubs, but I've rarely been impressed with the German ones I've heard bits and pieces of through YT clips.

The greatest issue with my take on it, though, is that the only stuff I've watched significantly in German are a couple of Ghibli films (which had good dubs imo, but they're also fucking Ghibli films) and when I looked into Yosuga no Sora's since I bought the Sora chapter on DVD when AniMoon opened shop and had that special release of it here as their first release since I had quite liked it when I watched it initially and thought it was cool that it was getting a special release here, and I checked out a bit of the dub aspect of it just to see what it was like, which was quite bad. I mostly just wanted the little goodies that came with it, though, in the Sora chapter's case being the artbook and the nude lenticular card, so no loss on that one.
ManabanJul 5, 2017 2:42 PM

Jul 5, 2017 2:40 PM

Apr 2015
I only speak English. Some English dubs are bad, others are good. I'll watch things dubbed unless I want to watch something and the dub's not out yet (or in the case of things like the Monogatari series, will never come) or the quality of the dub is simply appalling.

Recently I heard a lot of excitement over Shirobako getting a German dub...it never even got an English dub for some reason.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jul 5, 2017 2:44 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
CatSoul said:
Recently I heard a lot of excitement over Shirobako getting a German dub...it never even got an English dub for some reason.

There are a lot of German dubs that get released without English dubs, is the impression I get. There are a lot of things German beats English to the punch on in general, I feel like :P I remember when Seven Seas announced they would be translating TLR and TLRD manga and there were people like "oh wow" and we've had it for years already, almost fully translated at this point.

There's also German VAs listed on some Monogatari pages so we might have a dub of that too, but I've never checked

Jul 5, 2017 2:52 PM

Oct 2016
The only satisfying thing over was LWA's OVAs' dub. It's the only one i could watch without feeling weird.

*Just tried one punch man's first ep, its dub sounds fine.
Jul 5, 2017 3:01 PM

Feb 2015
I pretty much despise all dubs with very few exceptions.
Nor do I have much choice because in my language there are no dubs for anime.
Jul 5, 2017 3:31 PM

May 2010
Any kind of dubbing is just terrible in general, with the exception of Disney movies and other kids show. One time I saw Toradora! with some Spanish dub, this was soooo annoying and unwatchable, gosh.
Jul 6, 2017 3:53 AM

Jun 2016
statherian said:
Especially the fanbase in Germany is, well....quite difficult if it comes to dubs in anime. How about your country?

Basically every fan in Germany complains about the prices.. if you want to make your own opinion about it...here's a link for the german amazon.

https://www.amazon.de/s/ref=sr_nr_n_1?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A284266%2Cp_n_binding_browse-bin%3A383370011%2Ck%3Aanime&keywords=anime&ie=UTF8&qid=1499280547&rnid=1703609031

I think we have to put this in a bigger context and take a look on the prices and sync of the countries in general.

https://www.amazon.de/s/ref=sr_st_featured-rank?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85Z%C3%95%C3%91&keywords=serien&rh=n%3A284266%2Ck%3Aserien&qid=1499329525&sort=featured-rank

In my opinion the overall quality for german dub is high not only for anime but for life action general. Sure when it comes special to anime it can't keep up with japan ( but who can??) but it is still relatively good (inconsistent but good).
You may only appreciate this though if you aren't german and can for example compare it with the shitty dubs of some small country with limited budget.

Germany has really professional actors who can play with their voice (note this is not granted!).
The problem is (I think) rather anime specific, that it still remains a niche (or the sale numbers don't fit). That would explain the prices remaining high close to those of newly released series.

It would also explain a bigger issue: the limited number of voice actors which starts to gain impact over time.
When you listened to someone voicing a charactertype for years and then taking a complete different role you cant take that character serious anymore. Good voice acting can't fix this effect you would need more diversity and options to chose from. And this is germany we are speaking here with a huge inner market.
My bet is the majority of countries will suffer from the same issue in even a more severe way. If there are dubs at all..... This is basicaly the main reason most people will prefer subs.

Then there are a few other german specific stuff...Germany loves to butcher filmmaterial. IT is really hardcore for life action movies with alternative versions for daytime (no violence and sexual stuff)
[then in the early evening the "gossip shows" regulary showing nudity in R-R+ manner....]
and evening (chances are still there things were edited out)
exist.
So why should I care about dubs at all if chances are they will change the original source material. Thats an own goal the german industry set up over a long time.
Jul 6, 2017 4:10 AM

Jan 2017
Thailand. . . .

Our language has too much "formal level" far more than Japanese. Every time characters get emotional and speak non-formal word or even motivational speech. Our dubbing makes it so unnatural, emotionless.

Imagine your closest friend normally greet you "Hey, what'sup, d*ckhead?", but dubbed version will be like "Greetings, How are you doing, Mr. A?".

And it's not just Anime. Movies, Live-Action Series as well.
Jul 6, 2017 4:12 AM

Apr 2016
The Hindi dubs here in India used to be good. Until they changed the voice actors.

And in general, dubs are just sub par.
Jul 6, 2017 4:14 AM

Apr 2017
The only anime that has Swedish dubs are kids shows. Actually the Moomin anime has an excellent Swedish dub I must say, so I'm happy with that one at least.
Jul 6, 2017 4:28 AM

Dec 2016
DragonShaker said:
Nope not at all cause basically every dubs sound way to cringe.

You've listened to every dub of every single language? Wow, pretty amazing.
Jul 6, 2017 4:33 AM

Mar 2017
Er... Tagalog dub? Nope.

But the Philippines has two official language: Filipino and English. We're not making English dubs afaik, but we do watch them more. And even a mediocre dub is superior to anything a sub can offer. A dub enables a whole slew of things.

The visual aspect demands your eyes wholehearted attention and the audio part demands to be in sync with the beat of the visual component. Not to mention that emotions conveyed by voice are much more noticeable and impactful coming from a language you know at heart.

Now, on to the only other war (other than Holy Gril wars) that truly matters: dub vs sub! :D
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Jul 6, 2017 4:39 AM

May 2016
I remember watching the Norwegian dub of Pokemon when I was a kid. There are no words to describe how awful it was... They had a grown man with a really deep voice be the VA of Ash, who is like, ten.
Jul 6, 2017 4:43 AM

Jul 2013
They were decent (with some ones who were genuinely good) a few years ago, now the most of them are pretty bad, unfortunately.
Jul 6, 2017 4:45 AM

Aug 2013
I can't be satisfied with any dubs, so the answer is obviously - HELL NO.
PS, if you want to get a cancer, you can listen the dub from my country:
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jul 6, 2017 4:50 AM

Feb 2015
Fuck, no. Dubs in my country are just a voice-overs by one-two people.

rsc-pl said:
>dubbing the ending song
Why?
Jul 6, 2017 4:51 AM

Dec 2014
rsc-pl said:

at least no voiceover like in my childhood
Jul 6, 2017 5:01 AM

Oct 2014
Eru said:
>dubbing the ending song
Why?

Why not?

The most of russian offical (really offical) dubbing companies died a decade ago, and now I know just one awesome company called Reanimedia (examples above and below), but it is dying as well. It's a pity. Their works is the only one that I watch with dub instead of sub, and in my opinion it sounds even better than original Japanese version. But they don't have a lot of money and works pretty slow, so their last 5 year's releases were Shinkai's and Mamoru's films (unfortunately, they refused to dub Kimi no na Wa), first Eva rebuild and some Naruto movies.
There are too many shitty fundab in my country, and sometimes TV-channels are even buying their works instead of recruiting some professional voice actors. Sometimes anime films are dubbed for cinema by dubbing studios that are not specializing in anime, and their works usually are good, but nothing out of the common.

Another examples of Reanimedia's works

PizzaWarriorJul 6, 2017 5:21 AM
Jul 6, 2017 5:03 AM
Jul 2015
statherian said:

never heard of a ugandian dub. don't think there will ever be one anytime soon
Jul 6, 2017 5:07 AM

Mar 2017
For my knowledge there are very few offical dubs here in Finland. There's dubs for the obvious ones like Pokemon, Digimon, Yugioh etc. (Silver Fang also maybe?) Overall I think they're okay ish. I recall I really liked Jaden's (Yugioh Gx) finnish voice actor back in the days.
Jul 6, 2017 5:07 AM

May 2013
They don't make dubs here

American English dubs are mostly alright though
Jul 6, 2017 5:09 AM

Apr 2017
Our Dub in my country is sure cringy as a walrus squealing every noon

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Jul 6, 2017 5:12 AM

Nov 2015
im gonna be satisfied with the anime-dub only if my country is japon ,u know what i mean

Jul 6, 2017 5:44 AM

Apr 2017
I grew up watching dubs so I just find it okay when I was a kid now...
oh gosh, using the same voice actors for almost many titles is just annoying and the way the voice actors project their voices are just flat. Really. I am not satisfied at all.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 6, 2017 5:54 AM

Sep 2015
There are no anime dubs in my country and I'm satisfied with that.
Jul 6, 2017 6:01 AM

Feb 2016
Dubbed anime is very lacking here. There's plenty of good dubs, but i've seen my share of awfulness.
Jul 6, 2017 6:04 AM
Dec 2012
My country only dubs very old anime & they're appalling.
Jul 6, 2017 6:15 AM

Nov 2009
> Are you satisfied with the anime-dubs in your country?
There is a reason I'm watching all my anime subbed in English when English isn't even my native language.
We have subs and dubs in Russia, but they tend to be atrocious. Like, translated from English by somebody who doesn't understand English all that well.
Jul 6, 2017 6:25 AM

Mar 2016
No..the original dub are always better!
Forum set made by Sereshay

Jul 6, 2017 6:45 AM

Apr 2015
Being from the USA, I've seen a decent share of both good and bad. I'm satisfied with the overall quality.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Jul 6, 2017 6:52 AM

Sep 2016
Hell NOOOOO!! I'm so sad with Indonesian-dub. Japanese-dub is always better!
Jul 6, 2017 7:48 AM
Nov 2013
US- I always watch dub when possible, or usually rewatch in dub after seeing in sub initially

- One issue is hearing the same voices over and over again. It is sort of like Jason Statham being the same character in every movie he is in, at first it is fine, but after a while it is like alright enough of you.
- The other issue is you seem to get at least one super obnoxious voice a series. Obnoxious to the point noone actually sounds like that (ie, Carla Fairy tale, Index, Cecilia Alcott and every woman they attempt to make British, etc.)
Jul 6, 2017 8:16 AM
Apr 2017
From India we don't have anime culture and we got two many langs for dub.
Jul 6, 2017 8:19 AM
Jun 2017
Every dub is cancer. Well at least in English.
cenvjefnvj;sfn
Jul 6, 2017 8:25 AM

Feb 2016
Yes.

Perfectly content with English Dubs.

I always prefer Dub over Sub since I prefer hearing my own native tounge, so if there's a Dub available I'll watch it.

Never had issues with dubs, never found "cringey" or anything as some seem to experience. Same with subs though, never had issue with japanese dubs.

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » suspension of disbelief and difference between reality and fiction, or too much fiction can make you delusional

deg - 4 hours ago

18 by JessicaKari »»
4 minutes ago

» What are your thought on Ecchi anime?

RedTea33 - Yesterday

33 by JessicaKari »»
9 minutes ago

» World Masterpiece Theater are hidden gems.

Zhenro - May 4

32 by TRC_Randy »»
19 minutes ago

» What's the most important feature in an anime for you? ( 1 2 )

new_Ango - May 2

50 by KodomoKomodo »»
34 minutes ago

» Hentai Tags ( 1 2 )

HentaixxHunter - May 16, 2022

98 by traed »»
47 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.