Forum Settings
Forums

Anime that you unexpectedly ended up loving?

New
Jun 25, 2017 5:30 PM
Apr 2016
Was there any anime that you had low expectations for/wasn't very interested in and then you watched it and ended up loving it? What was that anime if you did?

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 25, 2017 5:31 PM
Apr 2016
I have several; but one of them was probably Ore Monogatari. I wasn't expecting much myself, but was blown away with how good it was.

Jun 25, 2017 5:33 PM

Jun 2015
Gintama and Nagi no Asukara, some others.
Jun 25, 2017 5:52 PM

Aug 2014
I guess that would be an anime that many hated yet I loved it:

Glasslip

White Album (White Album 1)
Jun 25, 2017 5:56 PM

Oct 2016
Princess Tutu.

The only bad thing about this Anime is its name.
Jun 25, 2017 6:00 PM
Apr 2016
@ooo333: Not really, this is just asking if you had low expectations for any anime and ended up loving it. Which could be something that's popular or something that's not.

But I suppose that kind of thing would be good as well.

Jun 25, 2017 6:03 PM

Dec 2015
K-on. I started to watch it and didn't expect much. I was absolutely blown away, it quickly became one of my favourite anime.
Jun 25, 2017 6:04 PM
May 2016
Easily Eromanga-Sensei. Some good wholesome smut along with romcom entertainment. I love it! It introduced me to Oreimo too, which I also like.
Jun 25, 2017 6:44 PM

May 2017
I'm relatively new to anime and have only watched the most popular/highest rated ones. Saw Re:Zero recommended and started it. At first I was a little put off by whole atmosphere and odd characters. It wasn't until the end of the first episode made it's dark turn that I realized it was completely different than what I initially expected. Then it became one of my all-time favorites
Jun 25, 2017 10:50 PM

Jan 2013
I could probably list half of my high-rated shows here because I'm most often very sceptical before starting anything, but I'll limit myself to the most unexpected ones:

Free! - my expectations were horribly low, I literally expected nothing but fanservice and some 4/10-tier entertainment, mostly because of the bad reviews and fan's attitude (thirsty fujos). But it turned out to be really decent, it has a story and good characters with interesting backstories, and they do have personalities despite of what people keep saying. I was caught completely off-guard and I couldn't help but end up loving this series.

Natsu-iro Kiseki - I only started it because it's listed here and I really felt like watching a show like this. Given the MAL's score I expected it to be rather bad from the start, or go downhill after a few episodes. But hell, it turned out to be one of the best CGDCT I've seen and it'a a pity that the score is below of what many people here consider potentially watchable.

Fukigen na Mononokean - I started it completely randomly without even reading the synopsis, just because I saw a gif with Fuzzy somewhere on the internet - I would never have guessed that it'd become one of my favorite shows. It was in the middle of the season and I generally don't start potentially engrossing shows until they finish airing cause waiting a week for a next episode is a torture, but hey what can go wrong with a random, unpopular seasonal. Lol, I ended up loving the characters so much that the wait was killing me every week.

Yuri! on Ice - I thought it'd be so cringeworthy that I won't even get past the first episode, but it ended up being such a feels train for me that once I started it I ended up binge-watching the whole thing in one evening (and re-watching it a few weeks later).
fuyukiJun 26, 2017 1:05 AM
Jun 25, 2017 10:59 PM

Sep 2016
There are a lot of anime i unexpectedly started loving.. some of them could be :

1. full metal Panic
2. papa no ikotou wo kinisinai
3.hentai prince and the stony ca
4. welcome to the NHK
5. Saekano
Jun 25, 2017 11:01 PM

Nov 2015
Toradora. Going off on some of the reviews, I expected it to be your typical romcom fare. To my surprise, the characters ended up displaying a decent amount of depth and the main duo had great chemistry.
✧༝┉˚*❋ ❋*˚┉༝✧

鼻をくすぐるGunpowder & Smoke
ジャララ飛び交うEmpty gun cartridges
紅いヒールに見惚れて うっかり風穴欲しいヤツは 挙手をしな

・゚✧*:・゚✧ 🍰 ଘ(੭*ˊᵕˋ)੭* ੈ♡‧₊˚

✧༝┉˚*❋ ❋*˚┉༝✧

Jun 25, 2017 11:03 PM

Dec 2016
Kokoro Connect.I went there expecting a simple romance-comedy.Didn't know it would turn in to Drama.And thus I loved it.
Jun 25, 2017 11:06 PM

Dec 2015
Penguindrum looked like a generic shitshow. Turned out to be better than 99% of the generic weeb trash. Would put my dick in again. 9/11
Jun 25, 2017 11:06 PM

Jun 2016
I have a few, but the biggest example for me is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.
Jun 25, 2017 11:13 PM

Mar 2016
I never really enjoyed romance anime, so it was surprising for me that I enjoyed Anohana in the end, despite thinking that the first few epsiodes were boring
Jun 25, 2017 11:14 PM

Apr 2017
charlotte probably. at first i was uninterested but ended up loving it

attack on titan too at first i was like wtf is this overrated shit and lmao look at me now just what kind of development

still life: pink roses
Jun 25, 2017 11:14 PM

Aug 2016
Geez,where do i start:(sorry for the long list :)
1.3-gatsu no lion
2.Amaama to Inazuma
3.Fruits Basket
4.Gakkougurashi
5.Gin no Saji
6.New Game!
7.Ore Monogatari
8.Plastic Neesan
9.ReLife
10.Tamako Market
11.Usagi Drop
12.Yamada-kun no 7-nin no Majo
13.Youjo Senki
14.Zankyou no Terror
Jun 25, 2017 11:15 PM

Nov 2014
Not really, I generally don't expect anything when starting to watch a new show. So the result of me liking something wouldn't be "unexpected" because I never expected anything in the first place.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jun 26, 2017 12:57 AM

Jun 2016
Believe me or not, but this happened to me with Noragami. The first episode didn't really impress me that much and I thought that it was going to be an anime that I'l just sit through because Yato is a funny character, but once I finished it, watched the second season and even read the manga, I was surprised how amazing the series actually was and how much I loved every character.
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
Jun 26, 2017 12:57 AM

Jul 2010
This usually happen when I causally watch an anime that pops up on a streaming site.

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia comes to mind first. I remember watching the first episode and came off it rather "meh," and held off of it. Once it finished airing and I had nothing else to watch I decided to marathon through it, and I ended up loving it way more than I thought.

Girls und Panzer, Squid Girl, and Oblivion Island were some others I ended up liking a lot.
Jun 26, 2017 1:03 AM

Oct 2013
Monogatari Series. At first I (Bakemonogatari) didn't like it at all, but then I decided to rewatch Bake, pay more attention and watch the later seasons and... It became my favourite anime of all time. Period.
Jun 26, 2017 1:05 AM

Mar 2017
Toradora, didn't expect a thing but it came out great
Jun 26, 2017 1:15 AM

Jul 2013
A lot of my favs. Series who I watched without expecting much for some reasons (very divisive, art style, hard to understand...), but I ended loving at the end (sometimes for those reasons). Examples include Monogatari, Katanagatari, JoJo, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei...

There is also Magi. I watched it thinking it would be an Arabian Fairy Tail, but I would have never expected the story, world and characters would end being so interesting, or that the story would take a path like the one it took. Probably one of my favourite shounens.
Jun 26, 2017 1:24 AM

Feb 2015
Zeta Gundam. After trying to stomach the original with it's terrible pacing, I thought I won't like the sequel and drop the series, but it was so much better and I loved it.
Jun 26, 2017 2:15 AM

Nov 2009
Book_Lover said:
Was there any anime that you had low expectations for/wasn't very interested in and then you watched it and ended up loving it? What was that anime if you did?

Yes, usually I get at least one such show per season.
This season, it's Clockwork Planet.
Last season, it was Kemono Friends.
In the Fall, it was Flip Flappers and Soushin Shoujo Matoi.
In the previous summer, it was Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars and Ange Vierge.

That's why I disdain those "creativity is dead" or "anime is dying" crowds.
Jun 26, 2017 2:17 AM

Sep 2015
Shokugeki no Souma was something that I went in with 0 expectations and even dropped it after first ep.
Much later I picked it up again and it became one of my all time favs
Jun 26, 2017 2:27 AM

Dec 2016
Original Hunter x Hunter

For so many years, knowing of its existence, I was just never interested, given its name I always thought of it as a series about a boy wanting to become -literally- an animal or deer hunter or something.

Only last year after reading so many good comments on the internet I gave it a try; I was marveled! (unfortunately only up to the end of the Yorkcity arc, after that it becomes really trashy)
Jun 26, 2017 2:44 AM
Jul 2018
Hunter x Hunter and Hoozuki no Reitetsu
Jun 26, 2017 4:00 AM

Apr 2015
I honestly didn't expect to like the Monogatari franchise at all.
Likewise, I never expected Steins;Gate to be so relatable or enjoyable.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Jun 26, 2017 7:02 AM

May 2015
Attack on Titan looked like grimdark bullshit, but it was popular so I decided to give it a try. It turned out to be all-around excellent.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 26, 2017 7:06 AM

Sep 2009
91 Days. I was expecting the typical inaccurate, stereotyped West, with shitty animation and generic artstyles that you normally find in anime, but got a mafia revenge story with decent emulation of actual cinematography.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jun 26, 2017 7:13 AM
VA-11 HALL-A

Aug 2014
Akame ga Kill! - Everyone just loved labeling it too edgy for the sake of being shocking and 'mature' so I didn't know what to expect when I watched it. But when I did, holy shit did I thoroughly enjoy so much. After recently rewatching it again I have reaffirmed my opinion on how great it really is.

Seikon no Qwaser - Quite an oddball when you think about it. It's so borderline hentai that I'm sure it turned everyone off. However, I stuck with it and really found the concept behind it to be quite interesting. It remains as my best scored TV anime for a show that has a MAL rating under 7. People hate it for the wrong reasons.

Haikyuu!! - While I don't exactly 'love' it, per se, I'm not a big sports fan so I didn't have high hopes going into it. I'm glad I was wrong about it because it can be quite exhilarating to watch.

"𝚃𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚖𝚒𝚡 𝚍𝚛𝚒𝚗𝚔𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚎 𝚕𝚒𝚟𝚎𝚜."
☆ 𝙰𝚗𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝙻𝚒𝚜𝚝 ☆
☆ 𝚅𝙽𝙳𝚋 ☆
☆ 𝙱𝚊𝚌𝚔𝚕𝚘𝚐𝚐𝚎𝚛𝚢 ☆
Jun 26, 2017 8:08 AM

Oct 2015
Bakemonogatari, It's a really heavy dialogue anime and have vampires in it, just by knowing that made me don't want to watch it, but i ended up watching it just because my friend always ask me to at least give it a try, and boy o boy was i so wrong to judge this book by its cover. Now The monogatari series became my all time favorite anime.

Gintama, and again this is one of my friend (the same one who recommend me bakemonogatari) recommendation that i watch with low expectation but ended up loving every episodes, seasons, and movie of it.

Thanks @ohhcmon for these awesome recommendation.

Click the spinning
ghost for delivery (~‾▽‾)~
Jun 26, 2017 8:32 AM

Jun 2016
I think everyone already knows how much I detest romance with a burning passion, so one day I gave this rom-com anime a chance, and oh boy I loved it so much, it became one of my favorite anime. And I'm talking about Ore Monogatari!! It's the ONLY romance anime I loved and enjoyed so much. A romance anime that I binge-watched and even re-watched so many times that it never made me at least once bang my head against the wall unlike the romance shows I've watched. Bless, Ore Monogatari!! <3

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jun 26, 2017 8:35 AM

May 2012
Valkyrie said:
Zeta Gundam. After trying to stomach the original with it's terrible pacing, I thought I won't like the sequel and drop the series, but it was so much better and I loved it.

zeta gundam's pacing was pretty off sometimes. This time things occurred too fast instead of slow.
Jun 26, 2017 8:35 AM

Apr 2016
That would definitely be Monogatari series.
Jun 26, 2017 8:38 AM

Aug 2015
Would have to say Haikyuu because I just remember watching a video about it thinking it looked kind of interesting but didn't have high expectations because it was an anime about Volleyball. Now its like my favorite show
Jun 26, 2017 8:40 AM

Nov 2011
Minami-ke, bakemonogatari, and the idolm@ster. Normally I go in with a pretty open mind, but for some reason I assumed I wouldn't enjoy these and was pleasantly surprised.

Jun 26, 2017 8:44 AM
Sep 2009
Kaleido Star

I didn't expect to enjoy this show as much as I did, as it was more of a shoujo, but it turned out to one of my favorites.
Jun 26, 2017 8:52 AM

Jul 2013
probably Gintama. Because I actually tried to watch it 3-4 times before I really got into it.

Also, Amagi Brilliant Park. It wasn't really my type of show but I like it.

Sports anime in general for awhile because I'm not an athletic person, not a huge fan of most sports and Kuroko, Prince of Tennis, and Haikyuu came as a surprise.
Jun 26, 2017 10:27 AM

Jun 2012
Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
The first episode made me question my will to actually watch the show, but as I continued I began loving the characters. By watching it I also began to appreciate older anime.
Jun 26, 2017 10:33 AM

Jun 2015
I expected Ergo Proxy to be another one of those artsy, hazy kind of shows like SEL, given its reputation.

But once I started watching I couldn't stop. Easily one of the best experiences I've had with the medium.
Jun 26, 2017 10:50 AM

Mar 2016
Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon - didn't expect much. It was deeply in the ignored pile at the bottom of MAL's season list, and the summary sounded like it could easily be an abomination of a show. Someone convinced me to give it a chance (and pointed out that it's a KyoAni show).
Jun 26, 2017 10:58 AM
Jul 2018
Grimgar. Even with all its problems, it was so atmospheric and visuals so good I couldnt help liking it
Jun 26, 2017 11:02 AM

Mar 2017
Idolmaster was so fucking flames bruh
Jun 26, 2017 11:04 AM

Feb 2016
Definitely my favorite Anime Hunter x Hunter (2011). Many people liked it and it was so popular. In my eyes it just looked like another popular Shounen Anime. I never thought it will be bad but I thought this Anime isn't something I will like alot. I watched the first episodes and it was pretty decent. It was entertaining and funny but nothing more but after the the time it got even better and better. I ended up loving it that much.
Other Animes:
- Mawaru Penguindrum
- Gintama
- Shoujo Kakumei Utena
- Boku no Hero Academia
- Aria the Animation
- Katanagatari

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Jun 26, 2017 7:55 PM

May 2017
Saekano - looked like the typical boring harem show but it surprisingly makes some clever references and has on point humour; esp kato's low key savageness
Jun 28, 2017 9:20 PM

Jan 2014
Seen a lot of negative posts recently just wanted to even out the balance, even though I do agree with a lot of the negative sentiments somewhat.

For me recently: Tanaka-kun is always listless

At face value there was nothing about this show that had any appeal to me but the tone, comedy, music and "peaceful-ness" of this show was done so surprisingly well, way better than I was expecting since it's just highschool SOL setting stuff. Classy comedy good animation appealing art great music short and sweet no pretentious drama.

Other mentions: Ryuu no Haisha, Subete ga f, Rokka no Yuusha
Jun 28, 2017 10:10 PM
Jan 2015
Monster-Musume and Keijo come to mind, they had many unexpected enjoyable aspects besides the fan service.
My Queens

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Would you be surprised if someone said your favorite anime was the greatest anime of all time? ( 1 2 )

MeanMrMusician - Mar 28

56 by alshu »»
3 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

58 by bucciest »»
3 minutes ago

» When was the last time you felt happy/satisfied after watching an anime episode? :)

Rinrinka - Mar 27

15 by bucciest »»
17 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - Today

47 by Pinoffin »»
18 minutes ago

» Favorite characters you think are Sadist, Masochist, or Switch

IpreferEcchi - Today

6 by IpreferEcchi »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.