Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »
Jul 16, 2016 12:08 PM

Jan 2008
@ziggy_Z thats what I did. 4 chapters in so far lol. Looking forward to it getting into the golden age arc
Jul 16, 2016 6:24 PM

Sep 2013
Wow wow wow wow wow....I feel so pumped by that last episode...though also let down. Manga time I suppose!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jul 24, 2016 6:27 AM

Mar 2011
Well seeing the new series, I decided to go back and watch this series finally.

And it was as amazing as I had heard. Shame the new series is cg but I can live with it.

My only question here is how did he escape D:.
"When everyone else is about to give up, the fighter who becomes the role model, is the true Leader."

Jul 24, 2016 8:27 PM

Sep 2014
TehWhiteTiger said:
Well seeing the new series, I decided to go back and watch this series finally.

And it was as amazing as I had heard. Shame the new series is cg but I can live with it.

My only question here is how did he escape D:.
there are a couple of characters missing from the berserk anime. one is the elf puck who you've seen in the new anime. another whom is a bit more important to the story who you should get introduced to in the anime at some point is the Skull knight. he had saved little rickerts from the apostles in the forest as well as guts and casca

he's also a long term rival of Zodd
Jul 27, 2016 5:14 AM

Jun 2014
I got to say, I really didn't like the last 1/3 of the series at all.
From Griffith make the most decisions imaginable to all the insaniyt in the last episodes, the show just completely lost me.
Until that it was a pretty good anime, so I don't reget watching it.

Before anyone tells me to read the manga, I'm probably not going to do it for a variety of reasons.
Aug 10, 2016 6:18 AM
Mar 2012
Femto?
Amazing & weird in many ways, need time to digest...
Guts' arm was hard to watch.
Animation budget's appears quite amazing in that time, too bad modern anime doesn't get much. Lots of questions answered & more for Guts' future. Going back to continue berserk 2016.
Aug 15, 2016 4:38 PM

Jan 2016
HOLY SHIT THAT WAS FUCKED UP! Can't believe everyone is dead just like that smh i wanted at least Judeau and Corkus to survive

and what kind of ending is this lmao Cliffhanger of the century.

Still this was a GREAT show, surpassed all my expectations by a fuckin mile. Too bad the 2016 version look like shit. Gonna give it a shot anyway.

8/10
Aug 22, 2016 10:22 AM

Aug 2010
What??? That was the ending??? It's suddenly cut off O_______O I mean, even though it 'goes back' to the first episode, the jump from the eclipse to the sword smith part felt like it didn't connect at all... I even rewatched the first episode after I finished this episode, and then I noticed/understand more things like how it seems like Griffith has already become the king at that point???

Anyway, I was in shock from the moment we saw how Griffith was in the cell up until the end of this episode lol I was all like "what's going on" and all, and it all felt like a dream..? I totally didn't see that coming and didn't expect this series to be this dark?! (I just took a glimpse of the summary lol)

I saw people commenting this version of the series is based on the "golden age" arc in the manga, and if the rest of the manga is like how the last 2 episodes are, I don't wonder why that arc is called the "golden arc" lol. Seriously caught me of guard, made me think this series is just one of those adventures with a lot of friends (i mean "nakama") and then rising to power type of series. Didn't expect the gore, partial nudity at times (lol), all the supernatural stuff and and how dark this series got towards the end..

With such an ending, I now want to read the manga out of curiosity, but idk if i'm really prepared to read one that seems so 'dark' (and with Griffith like that orz)
blue-yAug 22, 2016 10:25 AM
Sep 8, 2016 4:06 AM

Feb 2016
Wtf?!? seriously?! I m always Terrified when i m warching the last ep of a series and at the 19th-20 min (2 min left) there s always so much to explain or animate... but seriously this is W T F.. from a solid 9 my final score will be 6.. i don t give a fuck if i have to continue with thw manga.. This is not how the things have to be done Pure Shit ending ... A big **** to all the people who said the original series is awesome.. i m going to see the movies.. At least the graphic is entertaining
Sep 24, 2016 12:50 AM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
That is so FUCKED UP and sad! I liked Judeau, why couldn't the monsters devour the Midland army instead? And OMG the ending is probably the most messed up ending I ever seen, this cannot be the end........(though I'm not sure how Guts survived)
張大です for 張大勇督察
Sep 24, 2016 1:37 AM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
Teufel said:
What Griffith did to the Band of the Hawk was horrible but also completely understandable. He really had no alternative. So it's kind of hard to muster up much hatred for him as opposed to say Harry in Gungrave. As for the ending, I think complaints of it are valid. It is rather abrupt, it could've at least shown Guts escaping instead ending where it was at.

Berserk was one of the classics I had never gotten around to seeing despite how highly it's regarded. After finishing I have to say the anime is overrated, I'm going to rate it a 7/10. However, it's obvious there is an amazing story and characters with depth that the anime did not quite deliver on.That's why I'm looking forward to the new series even if it is a remake because this is an amazing story and while I enjoyed this version it could've been done better in pretty much every regard - writing, animation, etc.

Except the appearance of the God Hand and these last few episodes. That was pretty horrific, disturbing, and absolutely awesome.
Yes, I agree with everything you said. Also it surprised me that Griffith only became a real antagonist in the end after becoming demon, I thought and came in expecting Griffith to be enemy of Guts near the start of the anime, what a turn of events for me haha
張大です for 張大勇督察
Nov 7, 2016 12:32 AM

Mar 2016
Wow,just,wow... I do not even know what to say.
Nov 7, 2016 4:06 AM

Mar 2014
So, I read the manga way before watching this, meaning I knew everything that would happen. Yet, this anime was just executed in such a way, that I was cheering to the Falcons, I was jouyous for their achievement; I teared up and fist-pumped when the Falcons were awarded peerage and Griffith was dubbed as the White Phoenix General. That's how powerful this anime was.
Nov 15, 2016 8:51 AM

May 2016
Poor crokus and the unluckiest guy in the world Guts 😥
Dec 3, 2016 4:16 AM

Aug 2014
Not a fan of demons but the anime did it right imo, and the whole journey was amazing, so i won't reduce points for that, the ending isn't that bad.
A few technical issues, few story issues and everything else is excellent.

Griffith in this arc is the best character.
Guts i think will be the best character overall.

Very entertaining series.

9.0/10
Dec 17, 2016 1:25 PM
Aug 2016
Jesus Christ I wasn't expecting that. Very intense ending and terrific demon designs. 9/10
Jan 15, 2017 10:21 AM
Dec 2014
Can someone help clarify something for me?

You see I'm under the impression from that season that Griffith wasn't always pure evil and a psychopath. It came across to me that he did care about Guts and his men up until he was tortured and at that point he lost his sanity.
Whereas my boyfriend seems to think that Griffith never cared about any of them and that he was just concerned with getting to the top. And that after Guts left he wasn't sad, he was just really angry because he felt that Guts was better than him.

What do you guys think?
Mar 17, 2017 10:03 PM
Jul 2018
I cringed so much when Guts cut his arm off.
I'm thinking of watching the movies.
It was a fun ride, very gory, dark and overall awesome.

9/10
Mar 17, 2017 10:06 PM

Feb 2016
ExoticPineapple said:

You see I'm under the impression from that season that Griffith wasn't always pure evil and a psychopath. It came across to me that he did care about Guts and his men up until he was tortured and at that point he lost his sanity.
Whereas my boyfriend seems to think that Griffith never cared about any of them and that he was just concerned with getting to the top. And that after Guts left he wasn't sad, he was just really angry because he felt that Guts was better than him.

What do you guys think?

Guts was his possession so ye, he was angry when he left him thats why the incident with the princess. He was always very ambitious but I think he cared about his people, its just that he cared for power even more :P
The torture probably made the choice easier but I think it was the physical inability to achieve his goals that mad him do that
SpaghettiSpikeMar 17, 2017 10:09 PM

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Mar 21, 2017 9:22 PM
Oct 2016
I wouldn't even call this a cliffhanger. It just skips to Guts being alive out of nowhere, not showing HOW he actually survived. You're led to believe that he dies there as well as Casca, only to find out that they both survive?!?! At least give it some closure to look forward to the next season. Instead, it just leads you to "go read the entire manga to really see the story". Great story, ended like a slap in the face. I don't even mind the horrific deaths of all their friends. It built a lot of emotion into the end. But it just skipped over some important things to kind of close it out better.
Apr 3, 2017 2:24 AM

Nov 2016
Hate you, Griffith!
Apr 13, 2017 11:40 AM

Dec 2016
I was expecting the ending to be something dark, gruesome, repulsive, shocking and completely fucked up... And it absolutely delivered on those aspects. That being said though, this ending lacks one pivotal thing... An actual ending XD. The plot hole between this and the first chapter is way too big to even consider this a "cliffhanger". This is straight up BS. Luckily, I will watch the third movie and then read the manga, so I'm pretty sure I'll get some answers.

This ending alone made me change the overall score I was going to give this. On the other hand, I'd still absolutely recommend this and even consider it a classic/must-watch.
8.5/10

Apr 22, 2017 1:48 PM

Apr 2017
ExoticPineapple said:

What do you guys think?

He cared somewhat about Guts and the others yeah, but he put his 'dream' ahead of them. When he becomes Femto, a big part of Griffith is lost. Like when a caterpillar becomes a butterfly, it becomes something different. And there's the question about how much free will you have in the Berserk universe. Griffith was since long destined to sacrifice them and use the Behelit, he did not have much of a choice seemingly.

If Guts and the others were not friends or family to Griffith, he would not have been able to sacrifice them. It becomes more clear in the manga that you can only use a Behelit and sacrifice someone if you really care about the person, or at least have cared about the person for some time.

Hope this helps.
May 5, 2017 2:49 PM
Dec 2012
Didn't like the ending and didn't like Griffith but I'll still give this 9/10. It captivated me to complete it rather quick for my standards.

Guts was unscathed until the very end, but the injuries he sustained were sad to see. What a terrible situation to be in. He really was consumed by his dream. I really hope Guts gets his vengeance.

I really want to see where it will go from here. Surprised it didn't have a sequel soon after it was released. I suppose that's what the manga's for.
Jun 6, 2017 11:45 AM

May 2017
Most people are essentially just say the ending is awful because of the rape scene. You can truly fathom how Griffith felt in that scene, all those years of torturing, losing sight of his dreams, completely having his body mutilated after he messed up with the Princess. Blaming Guts for it all, he decided to pay Guts back by making him go through some disgustingly painful stuff, man even I was hurting for Guts considering what he's gone through, considering how much he likes Casca too.

The scene was masterful. The ending is just incredibly dark, doesn't mean it's awful. IMO people who say it's awful just aren't analysing the situation correctly and don't understand what Griffith is going through whatsoever, and don't understand what he's doing is to hurt Guts. Imagine having an ego as huge as Griffith's and finding yourself in his situation? You've been completely reduces as a person, but you still have a chance to fulfil your lifelong dream, whilst having the opportunity to get back at the person you think is responsible for your sufferings. What would you do?

10/10 anime. Not for little kids though. Off to read the manga now, which is apparently even better.
The -e y e s- tell you everything.
Jun 6, 2017 11:51 AM

May 2017
Space-Wizard said:
This is easily the best ending to any anime I have ever seen. So much butthurt here from moefags who need a happy ending.

Pretty much this.
The -e y e s- tell you everything.
Jun 23, 2017 12:45 AM

Feb 2010
I don't even know what to think because that was just crazy! I started off loving this series and then all of a sudden it turned into a completely different series. I totally love gore which is why this was recommended to me and I was told this series was super messed up but I guess they just meant the last 3 episode because I was so confused on what was so messed up about that series. Those last episodes were like heartbreaking. So everyone dies?!
I'll definitely be reading the manga because the whole demon thing just felt like it came out of nowhere and I was thinking "am I even watching the same series?"
It really felt like it didn't belong. But it'll probably help if I read the manga.
A little upset because I was loving the series and it just ended in a weird random massacre. Now I'm sad XD
I'll probably go with a 8/10.
My favorite character at the start was Griffith and then he ended up being a terrible jerk...I'm just so confused. I don't even know what to think lol. Guess I'm gonna go read the manga now.
FOLLOW MY SOCIAL MEDIA IF YOU LIKE COSPLAY ADN ANIME RELATED VIDEOS!
https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyMeilin
https://www.facebook.com/Ladymeilin
Jun 23, 2017 4:01 AM

Apr 2017
Konekoneko said:
I don't even know what to think because that was just crazy! I started off loving this series and then all of a sudden it turned into a completely different series. I totally love gore which is why this was recommended to me and I was told this series was super messed up but I guess they just meant the last 3 episode because I was so confused on what was so messed up about that series. Those last episodes were like heartbreaking. So everyone dies?!
I'll definitely be reading the manga because the whole demon thing just felt like it came out of nowhere and I was thinking "am I even watching the same series?"
It really felt like it didn't belong. But it'll probably help if I read the manga.
A little upset because I was loving the series and it just ended in a weird random massacre. Now I'm sad XD
I'll probably go with a 8/10.
My favorite character at the start was Griffith and then he ended up being a terrible jerk...I'm just so confused. I don't even know what to think lol. Guess I'm gonna go read the manga now.

Did you forget the first episode were Guts fights the snake-monster? It should be the biggest hint of what's to come. :)

There's also Zodd and his prophecy. But the manga is way deeper and way more detailed. The first few volumes includes many supernatural events and characters that are not in the anime.
Jun 26, 2017 10:59 PM

Jun 2016
Nooooo how dare they end it like that,too bad I'm not a manga reader. There are sequel but they say they are shit,but I'll give them* a try in the future,I don't want them to ruin this one.
Diangelo18Jun 27, 2017 9:16 AM
Jul 11, 2017 6:04 PM

Aug 2008
Rewatched this close to 10 years after my first go at this show. The first 22 episodes were as great as I recall but as soon as the Eclipse occurs it really takes a dip for me given the series change in the show from a war anime to sudden supernatural stuff that ends in a cliffhanger. Have no real desire to read the loooong manga and the recent sequel has terrible reviews as well so both are out. That's that I suppose. Will keep it at the original 8 that I gave it, would have been higher without the ending, shame.
Jul 17, 2017 6:20 AM
Mar 2017
THE WORST THING ABOUT THE ENDING IS HOW ABRUPT AND BRIEF IT IS

Imagine if the Empire Strikes Back ended as soon as Vader delivered the bad news and Luke feel into the depths of that Cloud City place. No ending resolution, no time to really SOAK up what had happened, it just... ends.

That's where I'm at with this show. I think a 26th episode could have been needed to show WHAT THE F*** happened in the time after these huge revelations.

As it stands, the ending isn't BAD per se, just.... too brief and incomplete.
Jul 24, 2017 5:26 PM

Mar 2013
It was still so good even though I already know the story due to spoilers. My only regret is that I didn't watch it sooner and picked it up twenty years after it aired.

Anyway, I also wasn't a fan of the cliffhanger ending. They could have at least made a 26th episode. Not going to watch the sequels, but the story really intrigued me so I'll probably read the manga soon.

Aug 27, 2017 3:01 AM

Dec 2015

4/5

Overall, a very good medieval tragedy with attractive characters served by an very unpleasant finale well done.
The stills are nice and compensate the lack of actual animation, the common drawings were at times pretty bad (characters looking different). The voices of the main characters and most secondary ones were memorable enough and the music too, despite its very limited pool. Opening and ending seemed too disconnected from the show (of course, this is nothing)

Score: 8/10 It was great to observe the downfalldown of a man from another point-of-view.

@CodeBlazeFate The error was Griffith's: he was the one who thought so highly of himself he claimed he wasn't attached to anyone when he actually was.
Thus making his "relief sex" to reaffirm his ability to use people without anny consideration for anyone even funnier.
Rei_IIIAug 29, 2017 11:11 AM
Aug 28, 2017 3:31 PM

Apr 2016
Berserk has ended, hopes were dashed cruelly, as the show ends in the tragedy episode 1 told us it would end. We didn't wanna believe it, that it would end this brutally, thinking that maybe Guts would just leave and then become the lone swordsman we see back in episode 1...then the demons showed up, and both raped and killed that hope...and t call could've been avoided if Guts didn't make one fatal mistake, and he wouldn't have made it if not for the conversation he overheard Griffith having about a purpose in life...
9/10 anime though it sucks that it ended en medias res.
Sep 4, 2017 7:46 PM

Apr 2010
I gave this a 1/5 because I didn't think the anime would end just like that. It didn't even wrap anything up. Maybe I'm biased cause I read some of the manga and know what happens after this. Still, if I hadn't I'd still be pissed. *sigh*

Sep 19, 2017 12:44 AM

Jan 2012
Wait, that's it?
That's how they ended it?!
Dec 15, 2017 1:40 PM

Jan 2017
It answered a fair amount of questions from the first episode. Yet it's evident that irrationality got to them at some points. They knew they have to keep their distance from such an apathetic person.

Being forced to witness what happened to his woman is more than enough for Guts to want to wipe that guy off the face of the earth.
Contemporary0091Mar 9, 2020 6:07 AM
And still, Bill will live on.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet.
Until the sun is long since gone.
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
and sees them whether his eyes are closed or open.
Until he forgets his name and the place where he'd once come from.
He lives and he lives until all of the lights go out.
Dec 19, 2017 4:39 PM

Nov 2017
I don't always need endings that wrap everything in a bow for me, but holy cow this ending sure did frustrate me. My first thought as soon as the end credits started was "Did I just watch a 25 episode ad for the manga?" I don't remember feeling this way when I first watched it in the 90s, but definitely feel that way now.

*downloads manga*
Dec 31, 2017 1:39 AM

Aug 2016
yep, I really liked this
:v
Dec 31, 2017 2:56 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Noooo, its not the end, wait the next seasons!!!! ;)
Feb 20, 2018 6:24 AM
Aug 2017
The ending felt like waking up from a dream in the middle...
Feb 20, 2018 9:31 PM
Feb 2018
IF they ever do a 3rd season please no CGI garbage.
Feb 21, 2018 3:32 AM
Jan 2017
Well...Goddamn!!
Truthfully, I couldn't bring myself to like Casca. Typical tsundere to say the least. Now, after this episode, I feel nothing but pity. Regardless of my dislike, she doesn't deserve the shit end of that stick.
Feb 28, 2018 6:54 AM

Jan 2016
Very disappointing anime. Ending the anime like that is an unforgivable cliffhanger. Clearly a ploy completely done just for an advertisement to sell more manga. What a shame.
Mar 3, 2018 6:33 PM

Apr 2017
Most disturbing ending for an anime so far. Seriously. So messed up.

Btw, it yells for a 2nd season. I liked the psychological aspect of the anime, the way Guts was thinking about his life, his goals; the story behind Casca. It was cool, I liked the way the anime was taking, but I was waiting for a (somehow miraculously?) happier ending. It's the classical ending where everybody dies except the rival main characters.

Anyway, I can say I enjoyed it.
Mar 4, 2018 5:09 AM

Apr 2017
propofol said:
Btw, it yells for a 2nd season.

It wasn't meant to have one though as it's mainly just a big trailer for the manga.
Mar 4, 2018 6:16 AM

Apr 2017
zodd0 said:
propofol said:
Btw, it yells for a 2nd season.

It wasn't meant to have one though as it's mainly just a big trailer for the manga.

Damn. Is 2nd season good or I should go read the manga? Or none?

It feels like a sequel to this will be only Guts killing some weird stuff.
Mar 4, 2018 6:37 AM

Apr 2017
propofol said:
Damn. Is 2nd season good or I should go read the manga? Or none?

It feels like a sequel to this will be only Guts killing some weird stuff.

This 1997 anime is the only good anime adaptation. The movies are bad and the new anime literally looks like a random school-project.

You should read the manga from chapter 1.

I recommend this video, it might make you more eager to read it: https://youtu.be/aOKXlJBNzb0?t=30s
May 22, 2018 10:59 PM

Feb 2012
Welp, that was something else.
In my perspective Guts did nothing wrong, and Griffith will have to pay for what he did, no, he already did... he is nothing but an unpleasant monstrosity.
Sep 1, 2018 7:09 PM
Oct 2017
they are just basically saying, "read the manga" wtf. it was 9/10 till last episode. now 1/10. fucking animators
nikel_maharjanSep 1, 2018 11:46 PM
what actually is a signature?
Pages (11) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk Episode 8 Discussion

Zell182 - Aug 4, 2009

43 by Lun4t1cc »»
May 13, 4:53 AM

» Berserk Golden Age Sequel

18927 - Apr 21

22 by eaten-apple »»
Apr 22, 4:15 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zell182 - Aug 5, 2009

76 by RaphaOtakuBr »»
Apr 12, 10:02 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zell182 - Aug 5, 2009

78 by RaphaOtakuBr »»
Apr 11, 11:23 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zell182 - Aug 5, 2009

82 by RaphaOtakuBr »»
Apr 11, 10:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.