Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 17, 2017 9:11 PM
Nov 2016
-Humans and witches may one day live together in peace. No shit. This isn't a particularly dark and hopeless anime like Berserk, so of course that's possible.
-Some witches marry a human. No shit, we would've already figured that out.
-Serena (however it's spelled) doesn't seem to serve much purpose.
-Witches act violently when a great leader died. No shit, that happens in history all the time, see Martin Luther King Jr.'s assassination.

The only purpose of this ep was to preach and beat us over the head with crap that we can already assume and know safely. Based on this, I theorize this anime will continue to beat the audience over the head and have little to no trust in their intelligence. If so, I may drop it.
Apr 17, 2017 9:13 PM
Nov 2016
vellabrown said:
the conflict between the village and the main characters is original. its not so good. i cant understand how the villagers state Albus as a thief immediately, even if he's with a beast man that they want to cooperate with.
other than that, this episode is good. as this slow pace, this anime will only adapt the 1st volume of the original LN.
in the ed staff, Selina's cv is with Zero, Mercenary and Albus. it strongly indicates that Selina is not dead, and may appear in next episodes.

As frustrating as the village's actions are, it's no surprise: back in the Medieval Era, people were bat-shit insane irrational human beings who burned first, thought second.
Apr 17, 2017 9:15 PM
Nov 2016
FarrelMFajar said:
I took back my words on how bad Clockwork Planet's OP was after watching this OP. Not because the song nor the visual, but from how unfitting the OP is to the fantasy setting.

I hope Albus becomes one of those characters that we hate in the beginning but we loved by the end of the anime.

Agreed. I forgot the OP of Zero, even though I watched the ep just a few minutes ago. It's just a generic-ass J-pop song with plain visuals that service nothing.
Legendary openings like FMAB's 1st OP are incredibly rare gems nowadays.
Apr 17, 2017 9:16 PM
Nov 2016
Smudy said:
Amazon subber being real cheeky with ''dat arrow to the knee''.

The only thing i didn't really like was how the villagers jumped on the trio too quickly. I thought, that should have been a slower ordeal but only nitpicking.

Otherwise a decent episode. Witches are misunderstood (Sorena was helping the villagers to get rid of a plague, yet they thought she was the perpetrator of all this).

Also makes sense now when i see the little dialogue between Zero and Mercenary.
She's been lonely and is just happy to have someone to talk to, i thought that was sad and heartwarming at the same time. All because witches are misjudged.

I faintly recall that in the 1st ep Zero stated something about being lonely already. So her dialogue just beats us over the head with the point.
Apr 17, 2017 9:33 PM

Jan 2013
Decent episode, pretty standard journey.
Apr 17, 2017 9:55 PM

Jul 2014
This was a considerably slow episode than the previous, also feel that the pacing was a little bit sluggish. I hope we get to learn more about Sorena and her characteristics.

Apr 17, 2017 10:09 PM

Apr 2011
Those villagers are insane...Insanely stupid.

I feel bad for Sorena. She helped the humans but was wrongly accused and died. Foolish humans. It makes me angry and sad.
MagitoApr 18, 2017 4:09 AM
Apr 17, 2017 10:25 PM

Jun 2013
GOD DAMN MEMES.

Though I guess I shouldn't be surprised since anime seems to be a meme in and of itself.
Apr 18, 2017 12:04 AM

Jul 2012
Mercenary is probably around the same age as most other main characters in anime. Sub-20. Zero is probably much much older. It's just hard to actually understand the mental age when you're not considering the world building stuff involved.

The anime is quite different from the manga that I read. Lots of the same lore elements, but some things are moderately different. They also aren't putting quite as much care into explaining a few of the things like why there's shortcuts from sorcery to magic, etc. Sorena is also a pretty important reason to why the war against the witches is where it is right now. At least she's supposed to be.

The village's reactions are quite normal given the level of paranoia of the era portrayed. Also the ring being owned by a witch isn't 'obvious', it was foreshadowed intentionally. Zero already understood that, which shows her wisdom.

It's sad to see people complaining about the things they are complaining about instead of taking the time to understand them. I don't know this site very well, and how juvenile some of the members actually are, but I do hope that other people will at least give this a chance, and try and think about the characters knowledge-bases and emotions. Not every character is meant to have your wisdom, your thought processes, and your approach to problems. Nor are they supposed to be without the opportunity to make stupid decisions.

As for Albus, yes, it's damned obvious he's a she. I didn't even get that particular spoiler in the manga I read but it was still obvious. She's trying to not stand out, and maybe she has some sort of blood connection to Sorena.

One thing that wasn't touched on in the manga I read is this other beast character. I am looking forward to figuring out what he's about next episode. But again, people need to realize that Mercenary is NOT as old as he looks. He's clearly quite a juvenile still. Well-meaning, but inexperienced with a lot of life. I get that people have a hard time telling that, but that's how it feels to me. Keep that in mind while watching his actions, okay?
Ever heard of "Mafia"? Check out my spin on the game type with a version similar to "Are You a Werewolf" - Werewolves of the Dark Arts
Apr 18, 2017 1:22 AM

Mar 2009
I really thought Amazon was being cheeky with that line. Guess not, after reading this thread.

Anyway, still enjoying this one a lot. The character interactions are excellent.
Apr 18, 2017 3:05 AM
Jan 2017
Male version make by youtuber kanzaki takumi, I found it in youtube.I think it really good.

ahan45Apr 18, 2017 3:16 AM
Apr 18, 2017 3:13 AM

May 2014
This episode was slowpaced, I expected something more. I mean we did get to know the boy better, that and the whereabouts of the grimoire of zero.
But it was just kinda slow :/
Besides that, beautiful ED, sounds and looks nice.

Loixol said:
So is that blonde kid supposed to be a girl? The village mayor did think that, after all. I thought that both men and women would be able to learn magic, but are all witches female in this series?

Well they did mention 'he' several times, as in the person who spread magic throughout that place.
As for the little kid, I thought he was a boy at first but because of that guy I'm starting to doubt myself too.
Apr 18, 2017 3:25 AM

Mar 2010
TobiasAmaranth said:
The village's reactions are quite normal given the level of paranoia of the era portrayed.

But villagers weren't portrayed as being on edge. Thinking Albus was a thief immediate made no sense because they clearly have never see him/her in that area before, so he/she couldn't have gotten into the village and robbed her house. The old lady never said it was stolen either, just that she lost it. Given that Albus came to the village with the ring on and was going to give to her you would have think he would asked where he found it first. This was most simplest of reasoning. The writing was pretty iffy for that scene really.
Iron_MawApr 18, 2017 4:09 AM
Apr 18, 2017 4:30 AM

Sep 2015
Magito said:
Those villagers are insane...Insanely stupid.

I feel bad for Sorena. She helped the humans but was wrongly accused and died. Foolish humans. It makes me angry and sad.

People back in that era was like that. Sorena case was unfortunate, but it is also true that someone with magic cause the epidemic/problem first. So Its only natural for people there starts hunting those with magic aka witches, because human will always feared the unknown.
Apr 18, 2017 4:34 AM

Sep 2015
Jagd84 said:
TobiasAmaranth said:
The village's reactions are quite normal given the level of paranoia of the era portrayed.

But villagers weren't portrayed as being on edge. Thinking Albus was a thief immediate made no sense because they clearly have never see him/her in that area before, so he/she couldn't have gotten into the village and robbed her house. The old lady never said it was stolen either, just that she lost it. Given that Albus came to the village with the ring on and was going to give to her you would have think he would asked where he found it first. This was most simplest of reasoning. The writing was pretty iffy for that scene really.

Well that is your 21st century way of thinking. Reasoning and science won't work in that situation and era.

"never see him/her in that area before, so he/she couldn't have gotten into the village and robbed her house." Back in that era, mostly no guard in a small village. So stealing by thief or plundering are done by outsiders. You can also apply this in the current 21st century. Lets say your family house have a room empty for rent to outsiders, sometime later things happen/stolen in that house, the first you suspect mostly will be the outsider instead of your family member.
valvravetruthApr 18, 2017 4:43 AM
Apr 18, 2017 4:55 AM

May 2014
I lost it when he made that Skyrim reference
Also I knew that old lady had something to do with that ring
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
Apr 18, 2017 5:37 AM

Jan 2015
Already better than the first episode
Apr 18, 2017 5:51 AM

Nov 2015
The wheel remade transportation.

Civilization has greatly improved.

And yet, you still misunderstand witches?

Well, bye bye suckers, Grimoire of Zero will end all that misunderstanding for you.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 18, 2017 6:44 AM

May 2016
It's funny how they're standing in one place and casually chitchatting while getting hunted down by dozens of villagers with tracking dogs.
Apr 18, 2017 6:52 AM

Apr 2015
lol...
that skyrim reference...
really love the ED, it's so relaxing...
btw, does Mercenary has real name?? kinda want to know his real name...
Apr 18, 2017 7:40 AM
Nov 2015
Did the village chief really call him a little girl or am I getting meme'd again by shitty subs?
Apr 18, 2017 9:19 AM

Apr 2015
Mercenary HAS to realize that once he turns into human form he'll lose his strength right? anyway this anime has me hyped.

AX3M said:
The wheel remade transportation.

Civilization has greatly improved.

And yet, you still misunderstand witches?

Well, bye bye suckers, Grimoire of Zero will end all that misunderstanding for you.

I WANT OFF THIS RIDE, THE RIDE THAT IS THE IRONY OF HUMANS
kidlat020Apr 18, 2017 9:22 AM
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Apr 18, 2017 11:56 AM

Sep 2016
SKYRIM!!!!!Never gets old...i heard skyrim was pretty popular in Japan and still is to this day.it has a perfect score on famitsu(a japanese video game magazine)the only western videogames that has a perfect score is Skyrim and GTA V
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Apr 18, 2017 12:22 PM

Jun 2013
the OP is okay but the ED is meh
Apr 18, 2017 12:26 PM

Dec 2012
lol everyone saw the skyrim reference. Even the village made me think to Riverwood.
Interesting episode, we learned more things about the witch.
Apr 18, 2017 4:14 PM

Feb 2013
quite disappointed at second episode... it's way below first episode...
Apr 18, 2017 4:35 PM

Feb 2011
snoozefest
if the next ep will bore me to death too I think I´ll drop this
Apr 18, 2017 4:40 PM

Oct 2012
Rather boring and bland episode. Yeah, I got it, witches are goodhearted, people are blind but what's with that? There are no morals in that. Literally nothing had happened and they could tell Sorena's backstory better in five minutes or so. There were tons of overused storytelling cliches and things were happening mostly as plotdevices.
And why every other anime need to have such one annoying little brat?

Also, Skyrim quote just felt out of place and the context of the sentence was also wrong.

I had high hopes after seeing first one but better forget this episode quickly.

-chronos said:
Did the village chief really call him a little girl or am I getting meme'd again by shitty subs?

He called him 'kid' so yeah, bad TL at that. I noticed subs were kinda off more than once this time.
Mich666Apr 18, 2017 4:46 PM
Apr 18, 2017 5:42 PM

Sep 2015
I really like zero, she's pretty cool and hawt. Zero and Mercenary is hilarious n their interaction. And even when they aren't doing something funny it is still very fun to watch their chemistry.
Also thought the blonde kid was a boy...
Guess they are called witches for a reason, but thought there were wizards too no?
I like this episode, not as exciting as the first, but it definitely had some nice background and character development. World building was decent.
i can see this as a very decent adventure series.
Apr 18, 2017 5:59 PM

Sep 2015
Skyrim reference almost everywhere. Rip Sorena and hope the Granny doenst get exposed and burned as a witch.
Apr 18, 2017 7:38 PM

Jul 2015
The hell. That skyrim reference....

like that guy said

10/10 this ep

Apr 18, 2017 8:17 PM
Mar 2013
The "Arrow to the knee" quote is not a bloody Skyrim reference. Please, do some research as to where the quote comes from. It's an old Nordic lifestyle quote basically saying "I used to (insert action here) but I settled down and got married"

Now, memesters and edgelords, please, stop. The first few people calling out Skyrim were cute, but now that you're all doing it, it is legitimately annoying.
Apr 18, 2017 9:16 PM

Mar 2017
Just giving 4/5 because i loved the skyrim reference
Apr 19, 2017 2:25 AM

Apr 2017
I just really like this anime and the story of it. It was just an awesome epsiode ^^
Apr 19, 2017 5:34 AM

Oct 2016
Welp. I foresee a ship.

I hope it sails.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Apr 19, 2017 5:46 AM

Jan 2017
So I have this different perspective on mercenary in LN. or he is just much more cooler in adaptation, and even better than in illustration. because the way I read his character in LN, I thought he is really really soft, complaining beast. XD looking forward for the next episode
Apr 19, 2017 6:13 AM
Jul 2014
Did they just put the skyrim's arrow in the knee joke ?

I like this anime :D but I have one question ... is this a boy or a girl I'm confused because they say "what a cute witch" talking about the blond girl/boy ?
Apr 19, 2017 8:33 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Second episode, and keep the tension, and show us a world where the Witchs are hated!!! But no all is truth, and the reality is confused!!!

Well, they are 3 now and hope in this adventure joined someone more!!! kekeke
Apr 19, 2017 9:10 AM

Nov 2011
I find this episode, it is as interesting as the first, failing to give information on specific points of the well, and even better by describing the context in which the story takes place. I think it was a good choice to start this anime series. Drawings, animations and more, are made really well. Go with the next episode!
Apr 19, 2017 11:12 AM

Dec 2016
The anime plot is great but I hope some great fights that will make the anime greatest!
Anyway the Op and insert song is good.
Apr 19, 2017 11:55 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Too much dialogue and exposure. The first half felt awfully slow. I hope they improve the pacing next episode and 'do more' while talking less.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 19, 2017 2:58 PM

May 2015
Slower episode, but it was enjoyable nonetheless.

Apr 19, 2017 5:14 PM

Oct 2008
this is totally different from Re:Zero,,,just because of the almost the same title...
Sorena a good witch slain from being burned.
Albus wants to let everyone know that Sorena's death should not be in vain.
3/5.

lol skyrim ref..

Apr 19, 2017 6:31 PM

Apr 2009
So anime makers in Japan are starting to slip in some memes here and there in their show or something? LOL.

Well, it's not like I didn't enjoy the reference. +1 just for that. Haha.

As for the original old Nordic saying, I thought that was proven false, back during the initial years of Skyrim. Or am I mistaken?

Hmm... I foresee that somebody is gonna soon load that clip from this show on YouTube and claim "look at the Skyrim meme in an anime!! LOLOL" or something...
To be or not to be... that is not the question. ;3
Apr 19, 2017 6:52 PM

Apr 2016
delloskill said:
The thing I'm disappointed about is that the animation seems lackluster. Like I still remember the fighting scenes of Akame ga Kill, Re;Zero, and Jormungand. White Fox can do better than this.

DarthWeeaboo said:
shameless skyrim reference

russian pic hosting

my first experince with it was from skyrim idc where it orignated from

You do realize that it's an old English slang for getting married.
Illyricus said:
FlamepriesT said:
That being said, I don't swallow the whole Sorena burned at the stake scene. Nobody would ever behave as if they didn't care about the fact that they were about to die such a horrible death. A powerful witch like that should easily be able to avoid being caught like that or manage to escape with the aid of her spells.

The only way this would make perfect sense to me is if the one who was burned turned out to be a mere copy of Sorena, but I don't think they'll pull off something like that. It seems to be an aspect that was overlooked on purpose in order to create a major pillar for the story. It kind of sucks that they never raised the question "how did she ever get in a situation she couldn't escape even with magic?", so I hope that'll be answered at one point.
I think the same. If she was that powerful, why she just didn't used magic to escape? Did she was suicidal or something?
witches need to make circles to do magic zero changed that
Apr 19, 2017 11:14 PM

Aug 2014
Feelsbad for Sorena. Took an arrow to the knee ;) And that pretty sad ending song. Good episodeeee
Apr 20, 2017 5:42 AM

Nov 2009
TobiasAmaranth said:
Mercenary is probably around the same age as most other main characters in anime. Sub-20. Zero is probably much much older. It's just hard to actually understand the mental age when you're not considering the world building stuff involved.

Zero is probably older (witches don't age like humans do), but her mental age and manner suggests she isn't very old. Or at least she spent most of her time doing something that did not contribute to her mental age.

michaelh19 said:
btw, does Mercenary has real name?? kinda want to know his real name...

He tried saying it in the first episode, but was stopped. Both MAL and AniDB list him as just "mercenary". It makes me wonder, will anybody have a real name in this story?
(note that Zero and Albus are pseudonyms)

Mich666 said:
Rather boring and bland episode. Yeah, I got it, witches are goodhearted, people are blind but what's with that? There are no morals in that. Literally nothing had happened and they could tell Sorena's backstory better in five minutes or so. There were tons of overused storytelling cliches and things were happening mostly as plotdevices.

It's called "show, don't tell". 5 minutes of exposition would not make us feel the conflict as much as this episode did.

Illyricus said:
FlamepriesT said:
That being said, I don't swallow the whole Sorena burned at the stake scene. Nobody would ever behave as if they didn't care about the fact that they were about to die such a horrible death. A powerful witch like that should easily be able to avoid being caught like that or manage to escape with the aid of her spells.

The only way this would make perfect sense to me is if the one who was burned turned out to be a mere copy of Sorena, but I don't think they'll pull off something like that. It seems to be an aspect that was overlooked on purpose in order to create a major pillar for the story. It kind of sucks that they never raised the question "how did she ever get in a situation she couldn't escape even with magic?", so I hope that'll be answered at one point.
I think the same. If she was that powerful, why she just didn't used magic to escape? Did she was suicidal or something?

Note that Sorena was old (older than her granddaughter, who was an old lady already), and witches seem to live with a different life philosophy than the people around them. No idea what it is yet, but we'll probably understand it as the story unfolds.

Loixol said:
So is that blonde kid supposed to be a girl? The village mayor did think that, after all. I thought that both men and women would be able to learn magic, but are all witches female in this series?

On the other hand, he refused to wear a ring saying rings are for girls. I guess it's just hard to get his gender at a glance, so mayor might have mistaken.

TheFreycook said:
I really like how the citizens of this world actually seem smart and make sense in that they know the layout of the woods they have grown up and lived around, it actually made sense!

You know, making an ambush in that cave might seem smart when you're trying to catch a lone witch, and you don't know she has quick-working magic. But when you know they have a fierce Beastfallen bodyguard, putting just 2 men into that ambush is dumb. In fact, attempting to attack witches when they are fleeing is dumb in the first place, because fighting can get you killed.
Apr 20, 2017 8:43 AM

Jul 2015
Kinda boring for the second episode.
The people in that village is short-minded, and easily angry when they found someone used the ring. Make it cliche thou.

Still the backstory about Sorena is kinda scary and sad.
Hope for a step up for the next episode. Nice episode at least
Apr 20, 2017 10:50 AM
Aug 2011
GangsterCat said:
skyrim is boring game, don't care about that garbage.
Opening theme is quite good, but the episode is generic as fuck, this is like the most basic of basic generic formula of middle age village story theme. the boy (whom im sure will 100% turn out to be girl later on because this is LN garbage, and witch) is really annoying character, same with zero. good thing mr.bear is pretty ok character.

and it's hard to expect good thing from this since the story will definitely left hanging with 12 episode and just pretty ads for the LN. to make it worse, this isn't plotless episodic slice of life that and it's pretty shitty to only get ~10% of the story

Depends how they end it or where.

I got no idea with the light novel/manga etc what happens but it just needs to have a decent or good endpoint.

If it can do that then I'll be ok with it, as long as it doesn't end up like gansta or rokka braves of the six flowers where it's complete lack of a real end point ended up making my enjoyment at the end way worse.
Apr 20, 2017 3:36 PM

Sep 2014
Poor Mercenary so sensitive xD
"Arrow to the knee" LOL, it's been a while.

So nice people I thought and then they instantly turned on them just like that, I was like what the fuck o.O
Zero casually putting those two to sleep, can't wait to see more of her abilities.

Witches sure have it hard .-. although Sorena seemed pretty chill even though she was about to get burned, eh maybe I'm thinking too much.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2017

150 by Garrett_Dark »»
Feb 2, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2017

64 by Garrett_Dark »»
Feb 2, 2:12 AM

Poll: » Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2017

62 by Garrett_Dark »»
Feb 1, 2:36 PM

Poll: » Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2017

89 by Garrett_Dark »»
Feb 1, 12:10 PM

Poll: » Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 22, 2017

82 by Garrett_Dark »»
Feb 1, 10:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.