Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 4, 2017 10:04 PM
Mar 2017
Some anime genres I just don't know what they mean no matter how much I do my research.
Shounen is one of them.
I know that allot of really popular anime is labeled shounen, but I honestly don't know what defines the genre.
Does anyone else know?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 4, 2017 10:07 PM

Jul 2012
Shounen basically means it was published in a shounen magazine (in other words a magazine targeted at men between the ages of 8 and 17). Literally speaking it means young man.
Pretty much the opposite of shoujo which follows the same age range but for girls.
Seinen and Josei then being used for adult oriented magazines for men and women respectively.

So as a genre it basically has no meaning it just references where the source material comes from. So it's a demographic.
Apr 4, 2017 10:07 PM

Jun 2015
Shounen is not a genre it is a demographic targeting younger aged boys. If the source manga was published in a shounen magazine it gets then shounen tag.
:)
Apr 4, 2017 10:13 PM
Mar 2017
GamerDLM said:
Shounen basically means it was published in a shounen magazine (in other words a magazine targeted at men between the ages of 8 and 17). Literally speaking it means young man.
Pretty much the opposite of shoujo which follows the same age range but for girls.
Seinen and Josei then being used for adult oriented magazines for men and women respectively.

So as a genre it basically has no meaning it just references where the source material comes from. So it's a demographic.

Watamote is labeled as shounen, but I don't really see why or how it's targeted towards the younger male demographic.
Apr 4, 2017 10:17 PM
Apr 2014
Shounen is a demographic not a genre. Same thing goes for seinen and shoujo.
Apr 4, 2017 10:18 PM

May 2015
AyameTomoko said:
GamerDLM said:

Watamote is labeled as shounen, but I don't really see why or how it's targeted towards the younger male demographic.

If MAL's label isn't wrong, that's because the series original manga was in a shounen magazine.

ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Apr 4, 2017 10:20 PM

Jul 2012
AyameTomoko said:
GamerDLM said:

Because it was published in Gangan Online which is a shounen magazine published by Square Enix.
Apr 4, 2017 10:22 PM

Nov 2009
Whenever the main character is some obnoxious kid who wants to be a hero/the very best, that's when you know you're dealing with a shounen.
Apr 4, 2017 10:22 PM
Mar 2017
ashfrliebert said:
AyameTomoko said:

If MAL's label isn't wrong, that's because the series original manga was in a shounen magazine.

All the adult humor must have gone under the radar.
It's still strange that would show up in a shounen magazine.
Apr 4, 2017 10:25 PM
Mar 2017
GamerDLM said:
AyameTomoko said:

Because it was published in Gangan Online which is a shounen magazine published by Square Enix.

So it's primarily based on who publishes it rather than the actual content?
Apr 4, 2017 10:29 PM

Jul 2012
AyameTomoko said:
GamerDLM said:

I mean they decide what is published in the magazine but it's probaby anyone's guess as how they determine the content. If your main criteria for questioning it is "adult humor" how is that much different than humor targeted at say 17 year olds?
But if you want to try to measure any patterns or content themes you'd probably have to go through the list https://myanimelist.net/manga/magazine/419/Gangan_Online
GamerDLMApr 4, 2017 10:32 PM
Apr 5, 2017 12:26 AM

Feb 2013
GamerDLM said:
AyameTomoko said:

I mean they decide what is published in the magazine but it's probaby anyone's guess as how they determine the content. If your main criteria for questioning it is "adult humor" how is that much different than humor targeted at say 17 year olds?
But if you want to try to measure any patterns or content themes you'd probably have to go through the list https://myanimelist.net/manga/magazine/419/Gangan_Online
Gangan Online is an interesting case, as it's not a physical magzine, but a website
as far as i can tell, nowhere on the website nor the jp.wiki page it is called a shounen magazine
so i think that's just guesswork from database admins

it might be possible that the tankobon releases have demographic tags, but hard to be sure 。。 the jp wiki for watamote does not call it shounen for example
Apr 5, 2017 12:41 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
AyameTomoko said:
GamerDLM said:

Yeah pretty much, same with shoujo, seinen and josei too. It's all just based on what magazine their original manga is serialized in and what demographic that is labeled as. For the same reason there aren't any light novel or visual novel adaptations that have any of these tags because LNs and VNs aren't serialized in magazines at all, so they can't be shounen/shoujo/josei/seinen per definition

Of course there are some series which really don't feel appropriate for their official target demographic (like how Nana is shoujo and not josei for example), but it's more of an undisputed fact rather than anything subjective. MAL has a tendency of being a bit sloppy with utilizing the tag correctly sometimes though
Apr 5, 2017 12:53 AM

Jul 2012
romagia said:
GamerDLM said:

Gangan Online is an interesting case, as it's not a physical magzine, but a website
as far as i can tell, nowhere on the website nor the jp.wiki page it is called a shounen magazine
so i think that's just guesswork from database admins

it might be possible that the tankobon releases have demographic tags, but hard to be sure 。。 the jp wiki for watamote does not call it shounen for example

It could be a thing with relation. Glancing through the entries in the magazine that had adaptations, a few had related series in clearly defined shounen magazines (barakamon, horimiya, watamote, idolmaster) but after double checking this site does list it with some seinen entries. (I think when I clicked the wiki link for the first time it linked me to the wrong magazine but re-reading it now it doesn't say shounen specifically).
But it seems more notably shounen focused which kind of makes if the assumed demographic is males in their late teens or early adulthood that's kind of a gray area.
Apr 5, 2017 1:06 AM
Dec 2015
It is anime made with thought that this will be watching boys, so there is action, sometimes tragedy or comedy, in other worlds there is also a main character development such as getting power etc.
Apr 5, 2017 1:26 AM

Oct 2015
anime made for the shounen demographic

why fate and E7 have then, idk

but other than that' that's it
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Apr 6, 2017 4:52 AM

Mar 2016
In the context of a thing being tagged 'shounen', it's basically just marketing based on demographics.
Shounen is marketed towards boys, aged anywhere from 8 through to late teens, mostly capping at about 17.
Seinen is marketed towards adult males of any age, starting at about 17-18.
Shojo is the female variant of Shounen.
Josei is the female variant of Seinen.
Apr 6, 2017 7:33 AM

Oct 2015
As mentioned above, shounen is not a genre, it is demographic. There are 4 of them.

- Shounen - Shōnen, shonen, or shounen manga is manga aimed at a young male audience. The age group varies with individual readers and different magazines, but it is primarily intended for boys between the ages of 8 to 18. The phrase means "young person" comic.

Examples: Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Blue Exorcist, Kuroko's Basketball.

- Shōjo, shojo, or shoujo manga is manga aimed at a teenage female readership. The name romanizes the Japanese 少女 (shōjo), literally "young woman". Basically, pre-teen to teenage girls.

Examples: Ouran Koukou Host Club, Kaichou wa Maid-sama!, Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun and Kimi ni Todoke.

- Seinen is a subset of manga that is generally targeted at a 20–30 year old male audience, but the audience can be older with some comics aimed at businessmen well into their 40s. In Japanese, the word Seinen means "young man" or "young men".

Examples: Monster, Berserk, Ghost in the Shell, Bungou Stray Dogs and Hellsing.

- Josei - the word josei means simply "woman", "female", "feminine", "womanhood", and has no manga-related connotations at all. Josei comics can portray realistic romance, as opposed to the mostly idealized romance of shōjo manga, but it does not always have to be.

Examples: Paradise Kiss, Nodame Cantabille and Sakamichi no Apollon.

These are all straight from Google.
Apr 6, 2017 7:37 AM

Feb 2015
Shounen anime is aimed at teenage boys, and usually involves a mix of action, comedy, superpowers, friendship (though there certainly are exceptions to this).
Apr 6, 2017 7:38 AM

Nov 2014
Think of it generally like the manga version gay pedophiles, older men targeting young boys.

In all seriousness, it's not a genre, it's a demographic, and frankly tbh it isn't that important as actual genres.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Apr 6, 2017 8:45 AM
Mar 2017
Milennin said:
Shounen anime is aimed at teenage boys, and usually involves a mix of action, comedy, superpowers, friendship (though there certainly are exceptions to this).

Sounds like One Punch Man.
Oh wait, but that's a Seinen according to MAL for some reason.
And apparently Watamote's a shounen, even though it has several adult themes and tackles a sensitive subject like social anxiety disorder.
Apr 6, 2017 8:57 AM

Feb 2010
Shounen is not a genre, that's why. You can summarize battle shounen as a kind of genre, but there are romance, comedy and other kinds of shounen shows as well. Battle shounen just are the most well-known and popular shows from that demographic.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 6, 2017 8:57 AM

Aug 2016
a genre of Japanese comics and animated films aimed primarily at a young male audience, typically characterized by action-filled plots.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Apr 6, 2017 9:13 AM

Apr 2015
It's not really a genre; it's a demographic.

Shonen can range from slice-of-life schoolgirl comedies to twisted, gory shit you'd swear was seinen.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Apr 6, 2017 11:02 AM

Feb 2015
AyameTomoko said:
And apparently Watamote's a shounen, even though it has several adult themes and tackles a sensitive subject like social anxiety disorder.

Doesn't mean shounen type anime have a monopoly on those genres. One Punch Man is seinen because it's more aimed at young adults, rather than boys/teenagers, and (presumably) because the manga is published in a seinen magazine.
I haven't watched Watamote, so I'm not going to comment on that.
Apr 6, 2017 11:14 AM
Mar 2017
Milennin said:
AyameTomoko said:

Doesn't mean shounen type anime have a monopoly on those genres. One Punch Man is seinen because it's more aimed at young adults, rather than boys/teenagers, and (presumably) because the manga is published in a seinen magazine.
I haven't watched Watamote, so I'm not going to comment on that.

So there's no real defined characteristics of these genres, huh.
It's just up to officials to what's geared for each demographic, even though it may not make sense from time to time.
Apr 6, 2017 11:15 AM

Nov 2014
Demographic not a genre, boggles my Mind how people still don't understand that.
Apr 6, 2017 11:19 AM

Feb 2015
AyameTomoko said:
It's just up to officials to what's geared for each demographic, even though it may not make sense from time to time.

Because, as other people have said, shounen is a demographic, not a genre. So, in theory, a shounen show can be anything. The defining characteristic is that it's something that is aimed to appeal to teenage boys.
Apr 6, 2017 11:24 AM
Mar 2017
Milennin said:
AyameTomoko said:

Because, as other people have said, shounen is a demographic, not a genre. So, in theory, a shounen show can be anything. The defining characteristic is that it's something that is aimed to appeal to teenage boys.

8-17 years is a rather broad demographic though.
There's some shounen that look like it's made for toddlers.
And other shounen are violent to the point of getting an R rating.
In my opinion, there should at least be a gray area.
Apr 6, 2017 11:41 AM

Jan 2016
It's just where the manga is published.

Like JoJo is a shounen for first six part and seinen for the last two. Or Trigun that is a shounen for the first three volumes.
Apr 6, 2017 12:14 PM

May 2016
Shounen is for the elite anime watchers

Apr 6, 2017 6:56 PM

Dec 2012
Shounen is demographic that caters to maile children and teenagers up to 17.

When people use it as a genre they are probably taking about a certain type of action anime which possess similar themes and tropes (see Dragonball Z, Bleach, Fairy Tail, One Piece, Inu Yasha, Yu Yu Hakusho, etc. these's a shitload of them) EX: Cast of friends who fight, lose, train, fight some more, rinse and repeat, usually with super powers and/or martial arts.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 6, 2017 9:09 PM

Oct 2015
focking hell we still at it?

ok in short shounen is a demographic, among that demo there are 4 most common genre for shounens

1.battle shounen/adventure shounen
these 2 are usually linked, shows like DBZ, AOT, jojo all fall under it. it's usually heavy action based or adventure based.

2.sport shounen
like it said, for sports, shows like haikyuu, major and such

3.romance shounen
the romance in shounen are usually more harem oriented like nisekoi, to love ru, there is also shows like inuyasha, tho at the least involve love triangles.

4.comedy shounen
these are shows like barakamon, tanaka and doraemon all fit under here.
^this was why you thought some are kid friendly.

i can go on and on about it but you get the idea.
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Apr 6, 2017 10:40 PM

Nov 2009
AyameTomoko said:
Milennin said:

8-17 years is a rather broad demographic though.
There's some shounen that look like it's made for toddlers.
And other shounen are violent to the point of getting an R rating.
In my opinion, there should at least be a gray area.

Yes, "shounen" is really broad. Just like "sci-fi" can be anything from ultra-hard-science Rocket Girls, to hilariously soft-science Tengen Toppa Gurenn Lagann.
As a general rule, younger audiences get long-running battle shounen, and older audiences get (battle) harems.

It gets worse, because "shounen" is the default target audience, so a manga that doesn't have a specific appeal with probably be published in a shounen magazine.
Apr 7, 2017 9:21 AM

May 2015
Anime targeting teenage/young boys, generally dealing with heroic themes of glory, adventure and power.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Apr 8, 2017 4:03 AM

Oct 2015
Technically its anime for kiddies (ok teens as well). According to most anime watchers, it is also enjoyable by adults. However in practice, the vast majority of shounen will just make you look like a manchild if you watch it as an adult.
Apr 8, 2017 5:36 AM

Mar 2015
Voivodian said:
Technically its anime for kiddies (ok teens as well). According to most anime watchers, it is also enjoyable by adults. However in practice, the vast majority of shounen will just make you look like a manchild if you watch it as an adult.

maybe, lot series you wouldn't realize it being shounen...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 8, 2017 6:08 AM

Oct 2015
Kuma said:
Voivodian said:

Including Fist of the North Star... hehe

Most older shounen are alot more universal and enjoyable by mature audiences too.
Apr 8, 2017 10:08 PM

Mar 2015
Voivodian said:
Kuma said:

Most older shounen are alot more universal and enjoyable by mature audiences too.

and what make it difference from modern shounen? like azumanga daioh for example?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 8, 2017 10:16 PM

Oct 2015
Kuma said:
Voivodian said:

and what make it difference from modern shounen? like azumanga daioh for example?

Haha I honestly consider 2000s shounen more aligned with old shounen. Its more the prevalence of urban fantasy shounens these days that I'm thinking of.
Apr 8, 2017 11:14 PM

Mar 2015
Voivodian said:
Kuma said:

Haha I honestly consider 2000s shounen more aligned with old shounen. Its more the prevalence of urban fantasy shounens these days that I'm thinking of.

what kind of shounen you are talking about? most nekkatsu shounen does set as urban fantasy since like astro boy...
Apr 8, 2017 11:28 PM

Oct 2015
Kuma said:
Voivodian said:

what kind of shounen you are talking about? most nekkatsu shounen does set as urban fantasy since like astro boy...

Astro Boy is pure sci fi in my eyes. Well just to throw names around, the fate series, tokyo ghoul, Duarara, scientific railgun, monogatari, kyoukai no kanata etc.

I know alot of these shows are considered 'sci fi' too but it is really more passing fantasy magic and powers off as sci fi than anything. The urban settings are usually devoid of anything overtly futuristic to add insult.
Apr 8, 2017 11:47 PM

Mar 2015
Voivodian said:
Kuma said:

Astro Boy is pure sci fi in my eyes. Well just to throw names around, the fate series, tokyo ghoul, Duarara, scientific railgun, monogatari, kyoukai no kanata etc.

I know alot of these shows are considered 'sci fi' too but it is really more passing fantasy magic and powers off as sci fi than anything. The urban settings are usually devoid of anything overtly futuristic to add insult.
but from example you given, none of them even shounen...

tokyo ghoul is seinen, durara, monogatari, index, and kyokai no nakata is LN..

also, what's the problem being overly futuristic? what's the different?
Apr 9, 2017 1:14 AM

Oct 2015
Kuma said:
Voivodian said:

My bad; looks like i mistook childish light novel adaptations for shounen shows.
Yes, I hate urban fantasies that much.

In this case, shounen is pretty decent with alot of those silly shows out of the way. But wont catch me watching HxH anytime soon.
Apr 9, 2017 2:53 PM

May 2015
Kuma said:
Voivodian said:

Tokyo Ghoul is firmly the shounen genre. It's darker and gorier, but there's a heroic story of good and evil underneath it all.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Apr 9, 2017 2:54 PM

Oct 2014
shonen is not a genre op are there people still spreading this ludicrous idea?
Apr 9, 2017 2:58 PM
Jul 2018
something something shounen isn't a genre it's a demographic
Apr 9, 2017 3:15 PM
Jul 2018
TheBrainintheJar said:

Tokyo Ghoul is firmly the shounen genre. It's darker and gorier, but there's a heroic story of good and evil underneath it all.

That doesn't make it shounen. It's serialized in a seinen magazine, therefore it's seinen.
Apr 9, 2017 3:30 PM

Feb 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:

What disability is this? Like 80 people above you(and you included) explained its a demographic, not a genre but you still proceed to write some irrelevant stuff about whatever it contains and therefore matches your made up definition. It could be a still picture of my dick for 24 episodes and it wouldnt change its status as seinen a single bit.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Apr 9, 2017 4:56 PM

Jun 2015
AyameTomoko said:
GamerDLM said:

yeah. its supposed to be a demographic but MAL has it as a genre and while shonen isnt a genre, battle shonen kinda is.

it basically goes like this, there is a Shonen [10 to 17 year old boy]

he lives in a fantasy world full of monsters n shit.

He is a special snowflake.

the story is broken down into parts called arcs.

He goes on a quest to do something. Save the world, save the girl, Save the world, catch em all, Save the world, find his dad, Save the world, become the best and did I say Save the world?

There is usually a tournament arc.

He keeps getting stronger but so do the villains.

Shonen is worthless self inset place holder.

rarely they are great charcters,

there is a supporting cast that is more memorable.

you will eventually come to hate the mc almost always.

the powers have names and classifications.

Everyone usually shouts the names of their attacks, and talk during fighting.

bad examples are fate series, naruto, bleach, charlotte, one piece [1piss] opm.

great examples include fairytail [the 1st 122 eps atleast], Hunter X hunter, helsing, getbackers and Rouroni Kenshin, rezero.

my hero academia is ongoing and is alright, but cant say how it will turn out, its not over till its over.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Which of your Character Favorites (profile) do you think are the least faithful/biggest potential cheaters?

IpreferEcchi - 2 hours ago

5 by Kimo45 »»
25 seconds ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 2 hours ago

16 by flannan »»
34 seconds ago

» Anime you only knowledges about is from the memes

Spunkert - 4 hours ago

11 by W3TFT »»
8 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 4 hours ago

29 by FanofAction »»
9 minutes ago

» How often do you rewatch anime?

Destinesia - 3 hours ago

12 by Nirinbo »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.