Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 19, 2017 7:31 PM

Aug 2009
I imagine most of us had some sort of religion growing up, unless you were born into an atheist family. I doubt many of us are particularly religious though, especially considering we're using this site. Have you ever considered being more religious? Or maybe you know a friend that suddenly started becoming more religious. A lot of the time it's usually due to a life-changing event that hugely changes their perspective. Honestly I can't really say if it's a good or bad thing I only know one guy that suddenly got really religious. Sometimes it's also based on things like the environment and stuff. So yeah what are you thoughts on people becoming more religious. So yeah thoughts on being more religious?

Personal experience
LoneWolfFeb 20, 2017 6:23 AM

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 19, 2017 7:46 PM

Mar 2016
well i never had any experience in that area but i had friends who became more religious. Like you said there were some who had tragic experiences like car accident. But i also had friends who were like you and started become more religious. In my opinion most of it was psychological. As we live, we bound to have ups and downs in our life. In order to be happy, we must become unhappy. Most people find it easier to deal with these when you believe certain things. Its hard to find meaning in life. If you are busy enough, you dont think about it. But if you are like me, cant stop thinking about these subjects, you have to visit religion. I also had some friend who grew up in religious families. In order to get approval from their parents and family, they would marry someone from the same religion. With time pass, you find more meaning in doing it. You also get approval from the society. In my country and in most country, its really helpful for your business(earning money). Its how society works. So just some random things came to my mind when i read your post.
Feb 19, 2017 7:47 PM

Aug 2016
I have zero interest in becoming more religious.

That being said, I am at least somewhat interested in becoming more familiar with Abrahamic religious texts.
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Feb 19, 2017 7:52 PM

Mar 2008
My family isn't religious. I was exposed to religion through a friend and cultural exposure from media. I don't want to be more religious in the dogmatic sort of way for that would be regressive. I would however like to be more spiritually tuned in and more knowledgeable of the arcane though.
Feb 19, 2017 7:54 PM

Mar 2011
Yes I have. I thought the answers I was offered equated to the answers I would later need in life; not entirely. Spiritual stuff is more individual, so you have to answer some of those type of questions similarly.
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Feb 19, 2017 8:03 PM

Jan 2009
i considered being spiritual but no religious https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiritual_but_not_religious

stuff like mindfulness meditation of buddhism (this is not exactly an organize religion) is fascinating but its easier said than done so i do not practice it regularly though
Feb 19, 2017 8:21 PM
Jul 2018
I was born into an atheistic family, but became spiritual later on. In my childhood I mostly just mimicked my family in an extreme form, being vocally anti-religion, prone to edgily blaspheme during my optional bible class in primary school, etc. Christianity will likely never make a comeback. I'm expectant that a new religion will overtake it within European nations.

j0x said:
i considered being spiritual but no religious https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiritual_but_not_religious

stuff like mindfulness meditation of buddhism (this is not exactly an organize religion) is fascinating but its easier said than done so i do not practice it regularly though

I'm also spiritual but not yet "religious". I believe that with the new age, we need a new religion.
Religion is a shell for spirituality to sit in, an important thing.
Feb 19, 2017 9:02 PM

Jun 2011
I don't even understand how one would become more religious. How do you force yourself to believe in something?
Feb 19, 2017 9:57 PM

Jul 2012
I am religious I just refused to give away any hints that I was since I joined because the last few people that have were chased away from the website and insulted.

Arranged marriage?
Thats a bit more than I am used too.
I suggest you come and talk to everyone letting them know your not ready or need more time or something or things could go down the drain later in your life happiness and situationally.

MiraniaFeb 19, 2017 10:06 PM
Feb 19, 2017 10:44 PM

Feb 2016
No interest.

I can't say for sure 50 years from now, but at the current state, the only thing that would make me religious is some kind of concrete revelation from God. I have little reason to believe God exists or that any one of the multiple existing religions has a firmer grasp on the nature of the human existence and the universe than science does.

Feb 20, 2017 12:06 AM

Aug 2015
Probably a different story for me. Grew up in a rough broken family on the wrong side of the railway tracks. By 16 years old, I was living out of home, dealing drugs and abusing alcohol and generally being a shit. By the time I was 21 I really had seen a lifetime and was burned out, sick of it all, and wanted change, but as much as I tried I kept going back to alcohol and dealing drugs.

Then at 21 I had a religious experience, and my life took a complete about face. Within a few months I was clean and a non-drinker. By 24 years old i was married and building a career.

All that was a lifetime ago. Another 23 years has passed, I am a single father, live a comfortable life, but can never forget about God, and will always be a churchman. It is part of my dna now.

No matter how terribly I got messed up in my life, and I certainly did not come out of my young life without many scars to my soul, I know where I am headed towards, and still swinging my fists.
idk about you but the closer a girl gets to looking like ronald mcdonald, the more aroused i become. CAV

where can we cast our eyes to @PoruMairu who thinks of himself a member of the true church. Helion.
Feb 20, 2017 12:18 AM

Mar 2014
I didn't grow up with it

I still don't see a reason to start believing
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 20, 2017 12:20 AM

Jun 2014
Narmy said:
I don't even understand how one would become more religious. How do you force yourself to believe in something?
I hear some are hit with a spiritual vision.

I don't know, its kinda weird imo.
Feb 20, 2017 12:36 AM

Dec 2015
The only reason I would ever become religious is if someone could prove to me beyond the shadow of a doubt that the religion in question was true and accurate.
Feb 20, 2017 1:14 AM

Jul 2012
My grandparents are really religious but my parents aren't at all. They aren't atheist they just don't care, don't discuss it, and don't attend religious events.
But as for me no, I don't see any personal gain from it. I don't have any desire to seek out a religion that would be more appealing to me, and I am extremely off put by the community aspect in general.
But I believe most of my friends were in things like youth group so I assume they are somewhat religious. But it's not an active discussion topic and it's just not for me.
Feb 20, 2017 1:30 AM

May 2015
Sometimes I consider being religious not because I believe in it, but because of the experience. It seems doing all these rituals and meeting people in church/synagogue is a really engaging activity that adds a lot of meaning to people's lives. Although we got rid of religion's dogma, I don't think we found an alternative meaning.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 20, 2017 1:31 AM

Mar 2008
Kagami said:
Narmy said:

I want a cool vision. Makes me jealous. I feel most have biased interpretations of theirs though.
Feb 20, 2017 1:37 AM

Jun 2014
traed said:
Kagami said:

I want a cool vision. Makes me jealous. I feel most have biased interpretations of theirs though.

If I see a vision, I might consider myself mentally unstable though.
Feb 20, 2017 1:43 AM

Aug 2013
I have never feel the need to follow a religion, I presume it's simply a path as another, the people are free to do whatever they want, but my thought about religion is than it's damaging for the people
Feb 20, 2017 1:56 AM

Mar 2008
Kagami said:
traed said:

If I see a vision, I might consider myself mentally unstable though.

I'm already unstable. That is why im jelly.
Feb 20, 2017 2:36 AM
Nov 2016
Was never really in a religious family but was baptised and sometimes went to church. After a while I started to think it's too stupid to be true, no proof of anything just things being passed down, I need actual evidence to believe something.

Feb 20, 2017 4:11 AM

Aug 2013
My parents were both skeptics, and my grandparents from my mothers side
My grandpa always used to say "If there is a God, i respect him, but from all the horrific things that i've experienced in my life, every day it seems less likely"
Everybody else around me was religious.
When i was really young (8-10), my parents just told me "there's God, he made everything, here watch this Adam and Eve cartoon", and i didn't think much of it.
When i was a bit older (Like 10-13) I asked my dad about how the earth was created he gave me an encyclopaedia with lots pictures that explains the big bang, and the creation of everything, and it was just more interesting and felt more real and accurate than Adam and Eve. Plus i was confused because i heard in Biology class that we have fossils of our ancestors everywhere in the world, so Adam and Eve can't be the first, and it just made more sense.
I wouldn't call it pressure, because i was the one who kept asking, and they didn't want to explain it to me before, as i think they were aware of the situation, but i guess i was influenced into atheism.
I thought God was like Santa Claus, and that probably most of my neighbourhood friends don't believe in him cuz their parents told them he doesn't exist, but boy was i wrong. I was isolated so many times, so many in fact that i had to pretend that i believed in order for them to stop shunning me, and playing without me, but they still made fun of me and called me an idiot, which i think is a stupid thing to hate someone over.
I was mocked on many occasions, and then i just stopped hanging out with them, and hung out with like-minded kids from my class, and i went from a skeptic to an atheist, and that was that.
Feb 20, 2017 4:36 AM

Aug 2015
Recently my street has had a flood of new homes built and they're all owned by the government. It was a shock to see every family that rocked up had the women all wearing burkas. It was even more shocking that they'd introduce themselves to us only to start complaining how un-muslim we were being and that we should respect their culture. Sorry, if you're not gonna respect mine than good luck with me respecting anything about you.

So after that experience, I definitely would want to be part of a religion with that kind of community.
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
Feb 20, 2017 4:51 AM

Jul 2015
LoneWolf said:
It's very likely I'm gonna end up in an arranged marriage with a religious girl anyway so yeah... Idk I guess I'm just conflicted and feeling weird about it.
[/spoiler]

Really? You're giving us this bullshit about women being golddigger since ages, and you're gonna let your family marry you with a complete stranger because it suits their interests?

Lol.
Feb 20, 2017 5:07 AM

Aug 2009
Clebardman said:
LoneWolf said:
It's very likely I'm gonna end up in an arranged marriage with a religious girl anyway so yeah... Idk I guess I'm just conflicted and feeling weird about it.
[/spoiler]

Really? You're giving us this bullshit about women being golddigger since ages, and you're gonna let your family marry you with a complete stranger because it suits their interests?

Lol.

Who ever said that? Stop misrepresenting people and making baseless assumptions, you don't know anything about my views or my family situation.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Feb 20, 2017 5:35 AM

Jan 2016
I grew in a christian family and i even took the christian confirmation. I've never truly believed in it but every saturday i went to catechism with my friends.

Now i consider myself an agnostic and i sent a letter to be removed from the church archives. Basically now for the church i'm an apostate.
Feb 20, 2017 5:59 AM

Dec 2016
Well. I didn't live with my parents until high school in America because I expressed wishes to study in Singapore until university where I'll go to America. My Mom is Christian and my step Dad is Muslim (don't ask me how that happened) and at that time they were religion in their own accord. They visited me pretty often and I went with my mother to church just because I didn't see her often and my step Dad would come with us too. My caretaker/aunt in Singapore was Christian too but she never forced me to go to service and she knew I'd most likely think it was a waste of time if she asked me. Never the less, I still "followed" Christianity as in pray to God/Jesus when I had trouble.

When I was 13 or 14, my Mom had a "religious dream" of a perfect Christian man who stood by his beliefs and for some reason my Mom depicted that man as me. So she hauled my ass to United States where I went from going to an international ranked school to a bottom tier Catholic school in Pennsylvania (I don't even remember if they're ranked). As you may or may not know, Catholic schools in United States are private and require you to pay tuition so you can imagine that you'll get a lot of rich kids in the school.

Catholic school was shitty to me. And American education is shit compared to Singapore. I was a blunt Asian kid who knew nothing about Christianity and I was often scolded and punished for asking "obvious" questions during religion classes when I truly didn't know anything about Christianity. Everytime I were to ask questions about my step Dad's religion (Islam) my teacher and classmates stared at me and told me how wrong Islam is as a religion compared to Christianity. I was bullied and I was generally looked down upon by my peers and teachers because it seemed like I truly wasn't an ideal Christian person. Never the less, I graduated and went to a great university.

When I contact most of my friends/classmates from high school they'd still tell me that they're either Atheist/Agnostic and a lot of kids didn't really come out as Catholic. I'm sure its not the case in EVERY religious school but thats the trend that happened in my school.

After high school though, I became closer to my Dad and I asked him a lot of questions about Islam and I ended up converting while I was in college. In high school I visited Mecca a couple of times and I always celebrated Ramadan with my Dad so the change wasn't too much for me. Yes, Islam is a bit stricter and it gets a bad viewing from a lot of people but I do like Islam as it fit with my mentality and ideology more than Christianity ever did. I pray 5 times a day but I don't generally take as me being "really religious" because those intervals of 5-15 minutes are times to myself.

Now to relate to your post, OP. I'll probably have an arranged marriage too because I value compatibility vs "true love". My Mom is pretty against it but she's getting over it and my Dad said "If thats what you want." type of deal because my brother is also having an arranged marriage. My sister is more into the "true love" and shes getting married to a guy shes known for years. As someone who's actually been in a few marriage meetings, its actually as terrifying as they depict it in shows and anime. Your parents have good taste in looks, trust me lol. Generally, it gets a bad rap because we've romanced relationships and marriages so arranged ones don't look that great. I prefer one who matches my ideals and can become more of a partner is all aspects of life rather than one that I just "love".
Feb 20, 2017 6:17 AM
Jul 2018
I tried connecting to God more I only came into the conclusion that church and religion sucks.

I still believe in God in my own way; Alone and being a generally good person.
Feb 20, 2017 6:18 AM

Mar 2014
It happens. People lose their minds as they get older and try to fill the holes with piety. Religion and spirituality are just psychological fixes for mentally unstable or brainwashed people. It gives them meaning in a world that ultimately has no meaning and doesn't require one.

Personally, I don't think I will ever become religious. I was raised in a non-religious household and my lack of faith came from a rational mindset where most religions just do not even remotely pass the plausibility test.
Feb 20, 2017 6:33 AM

Mar 2008
@Saediss
Read this first
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_wheel_theory_of_love

even if you prefer pragma it seems pretty naïve and lazy to think your parents would make the best decision as if they know you more than you know you. Only you know who you fully are. You could take outsider (parents and friends) opinions into consideration still though but you should not be just a passenger in things.The idea of parents doing it is totally dated and has to do with making marriage a business deal between families for wealth exchange and continuing family lineage. Youd also would likely best match up with another pragmatic lover if it is really how you feel love. (although personally I dont consider it love at all or at least when presented without another type mixed in)
Feb 20, 2017 6:34 AM

Jul 2015
i can't bring myself to believe in religious things... they're too absurd (despite what my profile may say)
this video almost perfectly sums up my sentiments.
Feb 20, 2017 7:10 AM

Feb 2012
I'm a practicing Muslim already, so I can't really become any more religious, I try to make it to the mosque as long as I can despite being busy with everyday life.

I just grew up in the Muslim family/country, and studied this religion growing up, got to like the way of life it portrays and its teachings, and I'll stick with it until the end.
Feb 20, 2017 8:15 AM

Apr 2014
i can try by becoming more religiously conservative and reading more texts
the stories are interesting like a great anime :]
Feb 20, 2017 8:46 AM

Sep 2016
My family is super religious and i am an atheist. I have had to hide the fact that i am one so i still attend all the religious gatherings and talk to people about it like i am really interested in it.. But because of the environment i was brought up in, i am really skeptical about it.
For me, the only way i can comprehend someone non-religious suddenly turning to religion is when they have hit a wall and are trying to make sense of their life and coming up empty.
Feb 20, 2017 9:00 AM

Jun 2014
Well, I believe in Dragonitsu, but I'm not super religious about it or anything. I come from a place where almost everyone under 35 is atheist, and older people who aren't atheist don't practice, and keep it to themselves. Religion is never, ever discussed in public where I live. I was atheist prior to founding Dragonitsu.

That being said, anyone who believes in abrahamic religions or monotheism should be shot in the face with a 12 gauge.

Feb 20, 2017 9:05 AM

Feb 2015
I worship my waifu as my Goddess and devote my white stuff love for her only. I am indeed very religious.

Comic_Sans said:
I didn't grow up with it

I still don't see a reason to start believing

Believing and devoting your life to your husbando is one thing, and the basic step one should do.
Feb 21, 2017 3:04 PM

Feb 2013
My dear Arjuna, only by undivided devotional service can I be understood as I am, standing before you, and can thus be seen directly. Only in this way can you enter into the mysteries of My understanding.
Feb 21, 2017 5:29 PM
Jul 2018
I was somewhat forcibly immersed in a Episcopalian private school as a child, but was never particularly interested in religion. Now I'm more of an apathetic agnostic. I actually became actively less religious as I aged.
Feb 21, 2017 7:34 PM

Jan 2014
Saucy said:
No interest.

I can't say for sure 50 years from now, but at the current state, the only thing that would make me religious is some kind of concrete revelation from God. I have little reason to believe God exists or that any one of the multiple existing religions has a firmer grasp on the nature of the human existence and the universe than science does.

I fail to see the dichotomy there. Also, science is a methodology, so do you mean "the current consensus on scientific ideas"? I ask because both science and religions share similar problems in that regard and there are issues exclusive to science as well.

OT: As people grow older they generally tend to become more engrained in whatever ideology they've accepted. There are things that you actively have to do though, like read texts, converse with those who share the ideology, etc.
Anything that is not maintained breaks down, and that includes belief systems, unless you are already empty.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Feb 21, 2017 8:15 PM

Jun 2014
I have. I've always identified as a Christian and was raised in a christian home, but I guess I didn't become more religious until I was 18. I read the Bible one day and felt that God was warning me that if I did not change my ways, I would end up in hell and that I was never really saved before that time. I felt so bad for upsetting God that I spent several days in sorrow until I cried tears of joy when I finally realized God had forgiven me, which is big for me, since I rarely display emotions at all.

Before that time, I was experimenting with Deism and was very apathetic to humanity and the plights of other people beside myself.
Feb 21, 2017 8:54 PM

Feb 2016
RedRoseFring said:
Saucy said:
No interest.

I fail to see the dichotomy there. Also, science is a methodology, so do you mean "the current consensus on scientific ideas"? I ask because both science and religions share similar problems in that regard and there are issues exclusive to science as well.

OT: As people grow older they generally tend to become more engrained in whatever ideology they've accepted. There are things that you actively have to do though, like read texts, converse with those who share the ideology, etc.
Anything that is not maintained breaks down, and that includes belief systems, unless you are already empty.

The dichotomy where? Science versus religion?

Both put forth a claim about the nature and meaning of the universe, except religion claims knowledge based on divine revelation. Science, on the other hand, trusts in empirical knowledge. Sure, science hasn't always been right and perhaps still may be wrong, but at least is offers some predictive capability, much beyond the whim of spirits. Science also welcomes skepticism, which is what has allowed us to approach the level of knowledge we have today.

Are these the only two ways of finding the answers? No. But they're the most prevalent. You may appeal to reason and a priori knowledge, but that doesn't get you very far without empiricism. Or maybe you want to appeal to some other spiritual connection, but once again, how for can that get you?

Feb 22, 2017 12:47 PM

Apr 2015
I was raised in a moderately religious family and was probably the most 'gung-ho' for Christianity in my childhood years up until I was 12.

Around the time I was 12 my family all gradually converted to Messianic Judiasim (Basically typical Judiasm but Jesus really is the Son of God who saved us. We just practice the Torah wherever we can. And it's actually pretty easy, considering that over half of the laws in the Torah either don't apply to the average person or can't be carried out because there isn't an active Temple). It was during and right after this transition I hit the peak of my God-Fearing drive.

After that point, I just...regressed all through my teenage years. All of my energetic and boundless searching led me to quite a few moral questions that no one cared to answer (For example: What gives God the authority to govern man? Just because he created us? Should my parents govern me my entire life?). Around 19/20, when I was in a deep depression, it got to the most egregious phase of anti-religion. I was apathetic about everything.

Since then, I've become slightly more interested in 'my religion' in general, but it's nowhere near to the extremes that I had been in my younger years. I don't attend any services (Which are little more then soapboxes for supposedly 'Spiritually in-tune' Individuals) but I do pray many times in a day and follow the majority of Torah.

I imagine most of my life will be an ebb and flow between being all for and against religion, but each peak will be less dramatic as the last before I hit a nice stopping point in my later years.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Feb 22, 2017 12:59 PM

Aug 2013
I'm a Christian, and I take my faith seriously. However, I was raised in a pretty secular, Lutheran home, like most Norwegians, and I had my edgy atheist phase and all that throughout my teenage years, much like all of my peers. Something changed when I was in my late teenage years, though, and I suppose that I came more in tune with my spiritual side. I matured a bit, and I started to study a lot of philosophy, and I was especially influenced by Kierkegaard, who I think played a significant role in my embracing Christianity. I don't think you can force yourself to believe, because it's something that transforms you from within, and it's not really something that you can force on people either. That's why I don't really believe much in proselytizing people, and rather demonstrate your faith through good works. If there's one thing I've realised, though, it's that it's much easier to be an atheist than it is to be a Christian, but to me it's definitely a choice that has made me improve as a person.
Feb 22, 2017 1:44 PM

Mar 2008
Moog said:
If there's one thing I've realised, though, it's that it's much easier to be an atheist than it is to be a Christian, but to me it's definitely a choice that has made me improve as a person.

Depends on where someone lives though.
Feb 22, 2017 1:58 PM

Nov 2016
Growing up in a pretty secular household, except my moms newfound tendencies towards new age/alternative shit I'd say becoming religious at all isn't a very likely option as believing in some divine entity tends to rub me the wrong way.

I respect the role religion has had throughout history as a way to explain the unexplainable and offer hope, as well as being the greatest power tool of all time. But I can't see any way for religion and science to coexist in the foreseeable future, as religion is in my opinion a relic of the past and often keeps people ignorant.

People are free to believe whatever they want though as long as they don't harm others or try forcing their beliefs upon others.
MaylingFeb 22, 2017 2:01 PM
"In this world, evil can arise from the best of intentions. And there is good which can come from evil intentions"
Feb 22, 2017 2:02 PM

Dec 2015
I am from an atheist family. I dont think anyone in my family is religious. Same goes for most of my friends (besides the muslims ones). So ye I was never religious and to be honest there has never been one moment in my life were I felt the need to be religious. I do however like reading about religions, philosophy and history. It is very interesting to me.

My personal opinion about the three major religions though is basicially that they contain a lot of good rules for living (and some bad ones). I always just feel you can easily follow those rules without being part of that religion. The idea of a God existing and wanting us to enforce those rules just seems like bullshit to me.
Feb 22, 2017 2:58 PM

Apr 2014
I was a typical Catholic (very light), time after, I was very committed to that faith.
Now by very personal reasons (private), I am a Apostate.

I can not apply the word Atheist in me, because I do not deny the existence of that infinite and eternal nature, I simply refuse to submit to it/him.
I feel much more identified with someone who wants to be god than someone who kneels by one.

Personally I do not believe in the existence of a authentic Atheism because I just see in them (atheists) to people who feel incapable of undergoing acceptance of metaphysical realities revealed by their intellect. They simply are not willing to suffer (hate or love) the existence of that guy.
_Nemrod_Feb 22, 2017 5:11 PM

Feb 22, 2017 3:45 PM

Dec 2013
traed said:
Moog said:
If there's one thing I've realised, though, it's that it's much easier to be an atheist than it is to be a Christian, but to me it's definitely a choice that has made me improve as a person.

Depends on where someone lives though.
Knowing Moog I wager he means internally and not externally. I grew up in a Christian household that gave me hell for choosing a civil confirmation in my teens instead of a Christian one. Life definitely wasn't easy during that time but honestly I feel it is probably easier for me to be an atheist rather than religious because I feel like I'd have to constantly fool myself to believe in anything spiritual or supernatural.

For the latter half of my so far short life I've always felt like I was able to find an answer to anything I imagined to be out of the ordinary that happened around me and even if the answers diligent scientists come up with to the questions to life, the universe and everything, are not always perfect I find them to be more satisfactory than religious answers in all cases. Not most, all of them, without exception.

Some of the facets of religion can sound rather beautiful, a comfort for the frightened and a sense of purpose for the confused, but I feel you can find much better comforts and much better paths in life with just a little effort than religion can ever bring you.

So what would make me more religious? Nothing short of some sort of brain damage. If I flew up the skies today by some invisible force and saw an imposing man who declared himself my god and that he was offering me proof of his existence then I would simply think I was either dreaming or having delusions. The mind is very easily tricked, a large number of people who experience sleep paralysis also end up seeing strange things as the brain tries desperately to compensate for you being awake yet not being able to move your body and the heavy feeling on your chest that you get during sleep paralysis. It is a perfect and common example of just how easily the mind can be fooled, something for believers to keep in mind when the next vision or revelation comes along.
Feb 22, 2017 5:38 PM

Jun 2012
Spiritual maybe, but not religious.
To each their own, as long as it's not forcing others to fall in line with their beliefs/ideas, what's the harm?
Feb 22, 2017 5:41 PM

Jun 2012
I was born to an aesthetic family, we had babel study and cataclysm classes, you get a feel for this kind of thing; a touch, really.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

43 by PostMahouShoujo »»
6 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

678 by Hitagi__Furude »»
54 minutes ago

» Are you going to apologize?

LenRea - Mar 25

28 by Rhaelynne »»
55 minutes ago

» Who is the most perverted person you irl ?

Thy-Veseveia - 1 hour ago

0 by Thy-Veseveia »»
1 hour ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

24 by DreamWindow »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.