Forum Settings
Forums
The Ghost in the Shell
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 28, 2017 9:33 AM

Oct 2014
I have never seen anything from the GITS franchise but I am informed of how great this series is (especially its 1995 film).

However I am stuck between wanting to experience it the first time from the live action (coming March) or the original 1995 film.

Here are my personal reasons to both side of the argument:

Go to see the live action blind
- Thrilling action, pretty visuals and nice sound which seems like the LA movie would be an exhilarating and stimulating experience (I thought the trailer looked pretty awesome)
- I have zero knowledge of the story so I wouldn't know if it sucks is being good or bad until I see the original for myself

At least see the 1995 film first
- Experience for myself what a masterpiece is like before going for the "remastered version" (cough we all know that 99% of LA adaptations are shit)
- Can call myself a true animu elitist because I can write a full blown essay on how the LA sucks right outta the theatre
- BUT potentially be constantly frustrated while watching the film because all I'm doing is spotting where the LA adaptation went wrong etc

What are your thoughts on this guys? All opinion are welcome!! :3

(I'll appreciate a lot that you don't blindly bash on the trailer or even the idea of the LA being produced without any proper reasons despite knowing how notoriously inferior most LAs are)
I said with a posed look.
[centre][/centre]
Jan 28, 2017 9:38 AM

Jun 2015
Don't watch the live action.

99% of the time they end up being disappointing.

Or watch the live action without watching the original so that you won't be disappointed in how it pales in comparison.
Jan 28, 2017 9:44 AM

Feb 2016
> Expecting good adaptation out of a Holywood movie. XD

Just watch the original, trailer already suggests the story would be different and despite replicating some scenes, there won't be much similarity.
GitS is good for its directing and themes at that time, the plot is generally kinda weak so there's the potential to be improved, but I highly doubt it will out of such adaptation.
Jan 28, 2017 9:50 AM

Oct 2014
Aquamirror said:
> Expecting good adaptation out of a Holywood movie. XD

Just watch the original, trailer already suggests the story would be different and despite replicating some scenes, there won't be much similarity.
GitS is good for its directing and themes at that time, the plot is generally kinda weak so there's the potential to be improved, but I highly doubt it will out of such adaptation.

Oh no sounds like you already spoiled it a bit for me ~
Thanks for your kind opinion still!
I said with a posed look.
[centre][/centre]
Jan 28, 2017 12:57 PM
Jan 2017
The original doesn't really hold up, outside of a historical context. Stand Alone Complex would be a better idea, if you have the time.
Jan 28, 2017 1:40 PM

Oct 2015
I have absolute confidence that the live action adaptation is going to be shit, so go figure.
Jan 28, 2017 1:46 PM
Jun 2015
Standalone complex series is the only ghost in the shells worth watching. The 1995 movie itself is above average but its nowhere near as good as stand alone complex because it actually has time to explore its ideas than shoving it all into a movie.
Jan 28, 2017 1:57 PM

Sep 2015
Just watch the original movie
Jan 28, 2017 1:58 PM

Jan 2010
Moved from Anime Discussion

If you haven't seen Ghost in the Shell yet but you intend on watching both the anime franchise and the live action film, then I'd suggest to watch the live action film first since watching it after watching the anime versions would probably skew your perceptions of the series. Watching the live action film after the anime versions would probably invite loads of comparisons which would interfere with your viewing I'd think.
Feb 13, 2017 10:46 PM
Feb 2017
Thanks, Lacey.

If you would like a whole experience, you're gonna need to do some research. Strongly suggest viewing the '95 film. Can't beat a classic. Also, check out Innocence. If you'd like to expand the understanding, hit Stand Alone Complex up. Both GiGs. You'll need 'em. If you want more, then check out the Arise series.

Then you'll have a better sense of where things are coming from. Maybe, you'll have a better outlook than most do right now. But again, that is up to you.
Feb 13, 2017 10:53 PM

Mar 2008
In the end, this is simply asking the question too soon.

We don't know to what extent it relates to the rest of the franchise. We don't know how it compares with the rest of the franchise. We don't even know if it's a good film.
Feb 18, 2017 6:11 AM

Mar 2009
All anime/manga adaptation are disaster, no matter if it's from Hollywood or Japan (with exceptation of Oldboy from the east and Edge of Tomorrow from the west), so is better not to see this movie, let it fail at the Box Office, so studios can drop the idea of adapting those stories. But if you still for some reason want to watch this movie, do whatever you want. Although many people have a really big problem separating source material from adaptation, so when movie isin't 95-100% the same as the original they considered it shit (although 100 faithfull adaptation always are crap, always), so probably will be better to see adaptation first..
3 setps to become Masochist:
1. Read source material
2. Watch anime adaptation
3. Suffer
Bonus Step: Tell everyone that anime is crap becouse Manga/Novel is better (duh..)

How to find the worst trash anime ever, so bad that people should be ashamed for even knowing this trash exist:
1. Check your favorite anime
2. Enjoy your shit taste pleb
Works everytime for everyone.
Mar 14, 2017 11:58 AM

Nov 2014
Ghost in the Shell (original movie) shouldn't be missed IMO unless you watch the 2.0 version which is just as good IMO even though it contains extra Ewoks and Greedo shooting first (gotta try humor sometime.)

I saw some production shots of this Hollywood thing and thought it looked really good but finally saw the trailer when I went and watched Logan and thought I was going to vomit how they have adapted this fabulous movie about post humanism into another Persecution Complex robocop wankoff.

I would be seriously suprised if this live action isn't a complete POS with all the same care as I Robot.

Certainly if anyone is going to watch it they shouldn't pay.
Mar 14, 2017 12:05 PM
Mar 2016
The original film was one of my first introductions to anime. It has been really cool to watch this idea evolve into a series and now a live action film. I am excited to see this movie.
I would suggest watching the O.G. film before checking out live action but that is just my opinion.
Mar 30, 2017 4:47 PM

Aug 2013
robhans said:
All anime/manga adaptation are disaster, no matter if it's from Hollywood or Japan (with exceptation of Oldboy from the east and Edge of Tomorrow from the west), so is better not to see this movie, let it fail at the Box Office, so studios can drop the idea of adapting those stories. But if you still for some reason want to watch this movie, do whatever you want. Although many people have a really big problem separating source material from adaptation, so when movie isin't 95-100% the same as the original they considered it shit (although 100 faithfull adaptation always are crap, always), so probably will be better to see adaptation first..

Watched Ghost In the Shell earlier today and I personally enjoyed it. Visually it is STUNNING to look at. Gorgeous cinematography backed up by an amazing soundtrack. Stayed faithful to the original (to an extent). It is an adaptation after all, but It was faithful to the source material and I'm relieved because the original is one of my all time favorites.

In terms of the white washing (Casting)
I find it funny that the Japanese are okay with it but the rest of the world isn't..
Mar 30, 2017 7:03 PM

Oct 2010
I'd like to take a moment to thank everyone who participated in this thread for not saying, "Read the manga first."

(That is of course an open invitation for someone to say that)

It's clear that the OP decided to watch the Hollywood movie first, and I would agree with Shocked, that's a fine plan at this point. It's like how I've decided that whenever I start watching idol anime, I'll watch the low-rated spinoffs that I'm interested in before I watch the highly regarded originals.

From what I've read so far, it sounds like the Hollywood movie is an enjoyable enough cyberpunk action flick if you haven't seen GitS, and if you have then it's at least worth watching (if not worth paying for) if you want to see the setpieces recreated in live action. (Digibro, for instance, has no interest in that.)

This review caught my eye: http://www.trespassmag.com/review-film-alex-doenau-ghost-in-the-shell/
Based on Masamune Shirow’s manga, but more accurately based on Mamoru Oshii’s two anime films based on that same manga, Ghost in the Shell frequently cribs shots and scenes from across both of those movies. They look impressive, a combination of Hong Kong’s naturally interesting architecture and a talented staff working from long-established design blueprints.

Director Rupert Sanders (Snow White and the Huntsman) has an eye for replication of visuals but, working from a script written separately by Jamie Moss (Street Kings), William Wheeler (Queen of Katwe) and Ehren Kruger (Transformers: Age of Extinction), he can’t give them meaning. Whatever message Ghost in the Shell has to impart, we’re not able to hear it through all of the noise jamming the signal.

(...) Ghost in the Shell is a movie that could have been a clean sweep, but the only elements that work are those that are directly taken from the 1995 and 2004 iterations, and even they are twisted into meaninglessness.
Much has been made of the role of Major being played by a white woman. As an adaptation, there would have been ways around this — after all, a person in a robot body does not have to have a strict cultural heritage. Somehow the script’s “workaround” is to literally write the whitewashing into the movie, which is not optimal. What could have been a non-issue, at the most an uncomfortable subtext, becomes the text itself. It would be irresponsible to ignore it, and so it can’t be ignored.

I take it that means her original body at birth was Asian? Weird. Reminds me of that old meme - "Are you asian and don't want to be? There is hope for change." http://blog.angryasianman.com/2014/10/are-you-asian-and-dont-want-to-be.html
Mar 30, 2017 8:02 PM

Jul 2015
Yes, Yes, and Yes. The original film is amazing!!
Mar 31, 2017 8:36 AM

Oct 2010
New thread for general discussion of the Hollywood movie: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1603112

To answer this thread's question for other young anime fans considering the same thing, if your answer is "You have to see the original movie first," it would be most convincing if your argument were that watching the live action first seriously damages one's later experience of the anime. Is it anyone's opinion that that's the case?
Apr 12, 2017 4:57 PM
Jul 2018
Live action film was actually good. Don't listen to these live action haters. They hate anything that isn't anime.

Anyways, you probably already made your decision, but just in case you haven't, watch the original film first so that the live action film will have even more of an emotional connection for you.
Apr 16, 2017 12:13 PM

Aug 2015
Just watched the live action. Plot and action was nice. Main problem was the occasional simplistic or awkward dialogue. I'm not sure I wanna watch the original now...
BlueSquaddyApr 16, 2017 2:04 PM
Apr 16, 2017 12:57 PM

Dec 2015
@BlueSquaddy What's "OG"?
Apart from how much a walking visual hommage the live action is to Oshii's first adaptation of Ghost in the Shell (note: this is first a manga), it has nothing to do with it nor with the manga or even the TV series.
Even the cybernetic is treated differently: in the manga as in the various animations it inspired, this is something common.

"You have to see the original movie first," it would be more convincing if your argument were that watching the live action first seriously damages one's later experience of the anime.

Not at all. The only thing is that you miss the oppressive/heavy/insistant visual hommage the US movie is for the anime film adaptation of GitS. This might actually be a positive because no matter how uninspired the movie is, it is a nice little scifi action flick that will be fast forgotten (unless the name attached to it has too much effect).
The time where the USA could deliver scifi movies, action or not, adaptation or not, who were entertaining AND had something more to offer is long gone...
Jul 15, 2017 5:50 PM

Apr 2012
watched it, liked it.. i just see it as an "alternative setting" instead of bitching that its not an 1:1 adaption.
but it has some flaws. too short, not a great world building (maybe because of the budget). I like it when they introduce a new world (in SciFi or Fantasy Genre) and taking time for it... also the story felt a bit generic.

overall its an guilty pleasure and enjoyable scifl flick.. 6.5/10
Jul 20, 2017 3:38 PM

Apr 2017
The live-action SUCKED! The story is dumbed down as hell and everything builds up to an ending that's just there to justify the white-washing of the main character... jesus fkn christ...

Yasuhito said:

In terms of the white washing (Casting)
I find it funny that the Japanese are okay with it but the rest of the world isn't.

That's because white-washing is not a thing in Japan. It does not affect people in Japan. White-washing exists in western movies and affects mainly people living in the west, like asian-americans for example. (See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdxz2htgPiQ)

More topics from this board

» How do you describe Motoko Kusanagi's dilemma?

Mehwish_999 - Apr 23

2 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
Apr 24, 4:08 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

naikou - Jan 29, 2009

166 by notalai »»
Apr 8, 12:04 AM

» How bad are the Ghost in the Shell Blu Rays?

JiffyBone - Mar 12, 2018

8 by Seiidou »»
Aug 6, 2023 8:51 PM

» The Original Movie Was Better

Densel_ - Nov 13, 2022

10 by Densel_ »»
May 7, 2023 9:49 PM

» Canon story watch order?

WeebiBOY - Jan 21, 2023

4 by giffica »»
Jan 21, 2023 4:58 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.