Forum Settings
Forums

What are your thoughts on underage drinking?

New
Jan 28, 2017 8:10 AM

Aug 2015
I'm talking about people under 18 drinking, not under 21.
In Norway there is no drinking age, you only have to be 18 to buy alcohol. But not to drink it. So I don't really have anything against people my age drinking as it is very common in my country.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 28, 2017 8:16 AM

Aug 2013
I'm from Norway too, and I'd say that we have a pretty heavy drinking culture. I think that "underage" drinking is ultimately silly, but I remember being a young teenager myself and wanting to experiment with alcohol, so I can't really blame them; it's part of growing up. It lets you explore your limits and what drinking is about, and it can change your attitude towards it as you get older, because it kills that initial curiosity.

However, I'm not a fan of young teens being peer-pressured into drinking alcohol, and that it's glorified and seen as "cool." I don't think that's a healthy attitude. Same goes for sex.
Jan 28, 2017 8:17 AM

Mar 2014
I've been sipping champagne and coffee since I was three and I turned out just fine
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 28, 2017 8:21 AM

Jun 2013
It all depends on who you're with and where you are drinking. I personally didn't start actively drinking until I was 18, though I had the occasional beer at a family party since I was 14. There are studies linking underage drinking to alcoholism but as far as I know it's still up for debate.
Jan 28, 2017 8:22 AM

Apr 2014
It is of course a sin against mankind, shaming yourself and family for 100 million years
Jan 28, 2017 8:45 AM

Dec 2015
I did a lot of underage drinking and I turned out just fine badly.
Jan 28, 2017 8:49 AM

Aug 2016
My fake I.D says I'm not underage so whats the problem officer?
Jan 28, 2017 9:03 AM
Sep 2016
I have been drinking since i was 14 and getting drunk since i was 16. I am 17 now and i honestly think how you turn out depends on what kind of attitide you have. The first party i got drunk at was great lots of friends a campfire on the beach and no sense of personal space.it was fun. But later that year someone told me that i wasnt drunk enough at the party. So naturally at the next party i was drinking specifically to get drunk. And thats where i fucked up. The night was over in a flash and the next thing i know im sleeping outside next to my puddle of spew. So as you can imagine it was not as fun as the first. Dont even get me started on the morning. Point is drink at your own pace not out of spite. So i dont really think age is too much of a deal it just depends on whether you prefer party no.1 or party no.2. If the latter you should prabably wait untill you are 18
Jan 28, 2017 11:02 AM

Feb 2015
I dunno, different country/state have their different legal drinking age. From all I care about is, don't drive while on influence because, you* might kill someone who shouldn't be in Heaven.
Jan 28, 2017 11:08 AM

Apr 2016
I used to drink underage, but I don't drink for over 5 years now, not even an alcohol free beer and I don't judge people who drink, as long as there is a valid reason to drink.

Kids nowadays don't have any real hobbies, let's be real here (I might be dwelling in the past), it was just way easier to do something with friends pre-internetera. I see less football clubs, less people in the youth center and in general less people doing something. You are either in the internet most of the time, watching TV or looking for entertainment which is kind of limited nowadays. I'm living in a small town and people start smoking weed with 14, because there is just nothing to do in this boring town. If I wouldn't have a car and I'd be limited to this town, I'd start smoking weed in a week.

The lack of social activities drive kids to take drugs (alcohol is a drug) and have sex earlier.

Well, I can relate to kids who are drinking alcohol, since I know there is a reason for it (at least in my town), but that doesn't justify it.
Jan 28, 2017 11:21 AM

Apr 2015
No It Is Not A Good Thing To Drink While Underage.
Jan 28, 2017 11:51 AM

Sep 2012
I don't support drinking no matter the age; drinking younger just means developing a nasty habit younger. But to each their own, I suppose.

(Tl;dr I don't support drinking at any age.)
Jan 28, 2017 12:04 PM

Dec 2016
Culture is culture. Generally in Europe the drinking culture is generally a lot more civilized than America's.

But I got over drinking after a while. I think that people don't generally learn how to control themselves drunk until they get themselves in trouble whether its cops, DUI's, or blacked out the night of or whatever. In my case, it just didn't make sense why I would spend so much every weekend.
Jan 28, 2017 1:25 PM

Jun 2016
Underage drinking isn't really supervised where I live and one slight whiff of positivity I see in it is that the young edgy tween middle schoolers can potentially learn their lesson at an early age, they go way overboard and the aftermath can scare them which can stop them from drinking so irresponsibly.

Although that rarely happens since it's apparently hip to end up at the toxicology ward at the age of 12 nowadays and that encourages kids to keep going.
Jan 28, 2017 6:51 PM

Apr 2016
we've all done it but somehow some people always end up with alcohol poisoning,
had a friend in high school who needed his stomach pumped cuz he took his parents gin and apparently didn't know when or where to call it a night.

More
Yummy
Flavors

TripHop
VGM
Hope
Trance
Jan 28, 2017 7:12 PM

Jul 2015
I'm not all that into drinking and I'm overage, my family doesn't really drink much so it was never really something I cared about when I was younger, if I had a kid though I'd allow them to try somethings, I don't really see the problem if it's done in moderation.
Jan 28, 2017 7:48 PM

Mar 2010
Same as my thoughts on adult drinking - I don't like it.
People back in high school, even in middle school would heavily drink and I was always that one guy having a lemonade, and I still am.

Jan 28, 2017 7:56 PM

Dec 2013
Always seemed silly to me. Then again, I'm not a fan of alcohol in general.
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.
Jan 28, 2017 11:05 PM

Nov 2016
I personally think 18 or above is a great age for drinking. I don't think kids should be under the influence of any alcoholic beverages until they reach man/womanhood

Jan 28, 2017 11:53 PM

May 2013
I did it.., if you don't want to then don't, you shouldn't give in to peer pressure you should drink because you want to party hard :D It's really nothing to worry about... sure there's a legal limit, but personally I wouldn't care to enforce it.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Jan 29, 2017 1:27 AM

Mar 2008
I'm fine with it but I think the younger they are the less alcohol content of a drink they should be having. I dont think they should try to get way drunk either but same with older too.
Jan 29, 2017 1:37 AM
Jan 2017
In Germany you can drink beer and stuff like that legally at age 16, harder alcohol at age 18.

I'm fine with that.
Jan 29, 2017 2:25 AM

Jan 2016
I have no problem with it as long as the booze is consumed in moderation. I was 15 years old by the time I started drinking beer besides just having a taste once in a while. But I never drunk (and still never drink) to the point of intoxication.
Jan 29, 2017 3:12 AM

May 2015
I think the drinking age for fermented drinks should be 16. Let the kids experiment and learn. It's harder to get truly drunk on these, and if kids would all go for beer at the age of 16 they wouldn't put the effort of getting a vodka.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jan 29, 2017 5:56 AM

Oct 2010
I think drinking at any age is silly, with the exception of a glass or two at some sort of formal social event or celebration. It isn't the healthiest thing you could be doing for your body, plus it often makes people act like rampaging baboons.
Jan 29, 2017 6:06 AM

Jul 2015
It would be fine as long as the underage people were drinking responsibly, but kids don't drink to drink responsibly.
Jan 29, 2017 6:14 AM

Jan 2015
Hungary reporting in. People over here start drinking when they are 12-13. Teachers and adults keep saying no no that's bad but after a while they stop caring.

I remember when I started hs at the age of 14 my classmates organized parties every weekend where they got piss drunk. One time a classmate of mine got really drunk and fell asleep in a bush right next to the road. In our Facebook class group my classmates post videos and pictures of them drinking and talking while drunk on a weekly basis. We are currently 16-17 years old.

Some of my classmates have connections so some bars allow them in even though under 18 you aren't allowed to enter.

While I personally never drink because I find alcohol disgusting I think underage drinking is fine. The problem is that a lot of kids who start early will become alcoholic because at the age of 12 or 13 they don't know their boundaries. I also think starving yourself for a week (which is what many girls do nowadays) just so you can drink all weekend is really bad. Many girls are afraid of gaining weight so they eat little to nothing and then they drink themselves to oblivion during the weekend.
Jan 30, 2017 11:03 AM

Jun 2015
I honestly don't care, people can do whatever they want. Here it doesn't really matter, even though it says you need to be 18, they still let younger people buy & drink.
Jan 30, 2017 11:22 AM

Aug 2015
crashinho said:
I honestly don't care, people can do whatever they want. Here it doesn't really matter, even though it says you need to be 18, they still let younger people buy & drink.

What country are you from, crashinho?
Jan 30, 2017 11:24 AM

Jun 2015
@_Kai

I'm from a very small country in Europe, Macedonia.
Jan 30, 2017 11:26 AM

Jan 2017
I don't really mind it, as long as it's reasonable.

I mean, I started drinking when I was underage, as have most of my friends. I do think someone ought to be at least sixteen before they start drinking, and even then very moderately.

I've noticed that it's usually the kids with parents who hold the most strict rules in regards to alcohol, that drink the most. Behind their parents' back of course.
Jan 30, 2017 7:51 PM

Mar 2008
Usagi said:
I think drinking at any age is silly, with the exception of a glass or two at some sort of formal social event or celebration. It isn't the healthiest thing you could be doing for your body, plus it often makes people act like rampaging baboons.

A daily glass of red wine is good for the heart.
Jan 30, 2017 8:07 PM
Apr 2013
crashinho said:
@_Kai

I'm from a very small country in Europe, Macedonia.

I think you mean the Former Yugoslavic Republic of Macedonia, as Macedonia is Greek.

Ot: I wouldn't encourage it but a drink every now and then can't hurt.
Shoryu said:
Aureolus
Life-enhancing-body-suits are good and all, but they can't protect you against the void.
Shoryu said:
Hopefully a better quote in the near future
Become a friend of Blahkabelison, they're a female.
Jan 31, 2017 1:32 AM

May 2015
Zees said:
Hungary reporting in. People over here start drinking when they are 12-13. Teachers and adults keep saying no no that's bad but after a while they stop caring.

I remember when I started hs at the age of 14 my classmates organized parties every weekend where they got piss drunk. One time a classmate of mine got really drunk and fell asleep in a bush right next to the road. In our Facebook class group my classmates post videos and pictures of them drinking and talking while drunk on a weekly basis. We are currently 16-17 years old.

Some of my classmates have connections so some bars allow them in even though under 18 you aren't allowed to enter.

While I personally never drink because I find alcohol disgusting I think underage drinking is fine. The problem is that a lot of kids who start early will become alcoholic because at the age of 12 or 13 they don't know their boundaries. I also think starving yourself for a week (which is what many girls do nowadays) just so you can drink all weekend is really bad. Many girls are afraid of gaining weight so they eat little to nothing and then they drink themselves to oblivion during the weekend.

Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun. Anything wrong here?
Jan 31, 2017 3:56 AM

May 2012
People don't magically become responsible at certain ages.
As long as you're not driving who the fuck cares.
Jan 31, 2017 4:13 AM

Aug 2016
Everyone grows up with a different opinion on how alcohol is. Doesn't really matter what because they're typically bound to drink underage sooner or later. Just so long as underage (or any age really) drinkers dont do stupid stuff under the influence I couldn't care less.
Jan 31, 2017 5:46 AM
Jul 2018
As long as they don't endanger themselves and others by getting on the road and driving drunk idgaf
Jan 31, 2017 6:05 AM

Jul 2014
I don't know what it is about us specifically but Australian drinking culture is fucked. Binge drinking might as well be a national past time for young people.

I can even attest to the fact that alcoholic stupor is a strategy to deal with the 40+ Celsius temps. I knew a lot of people that drank in rural Australia simply so they could sleep through heat. Mostly spirits. Lowers the body temperature.

cardiomyopathy here we goooooo

You know it's bad when hearts are giving out before livers.
Jan 31, 2017 6:22 AM

Nov 2010
It seems more normal to drink than not to where I'm from. I was the odd one who waited until I was 18, just watching my friends mix punch and get wasted ^^;
Jan 31, 2017 6:37 AM
Jul 2018
Some of my friends were your typical middle school edgy kids. I wasn't one of them though :)
I honestly don't care as long as they know what they're doing. Alcohol is healthy on low consumption, reducing risk of heart attacks, diabetes, and more. However, edgy middle schoolers drink way more than that.
I like wine myself :)
Jan 31, 2017 7:16 AM

May 2013
a drink once in a while is fine, but once a week for someone under 18 is a bit excessive.
imo people under 15 shouldnt be drinking for "fun".
Jan 31, 2017 12:37 PM

May 2009
As with internet trolling and stupidass "witty" replies, it's just another way for teens to feel "badass".
Jan 31, 2017 12:43 PM
Jul 2015
Where I live everyone does it. Starting with the age of 14 many kids begin to drink and boast about it as though it were something cool, something to be proud of.

Personally I think even grown-ups should stay away from alcohol, let alone those irresponsible teenagers
Jan 31, 2017 12:47 PM

May 2013
gotta love an alcohol thread on MAL. so much butthurt...
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Jan 31, 2017 5:49 PM

Oct 2010
traed said:
A daily glass of red wine is good for the heart.

I've read conflicting opinions on that.
Even if it is true, I'm willing to bet the majority of people who drink most likely aren't going to do it responsibly, especially not someone who is underage.
Jan 31, 2017 6:08 PM
Nov 2016
I couldn't care less whether people underage drink or not (I am underage myself), it's going over the top that is stupid, so many of my friends think it's cool as shit to just get destroyed to the point they can't move or even have fun. That's the line of stupidity for me.

Feb 1, 2017 12:21 AM

May 2015
Zephaas said:
I couldn't care less whether people underage drink or not (I am underage myself), it's going over the top that is stupid, so many of my friends think it's cool as shit to just get destroyed to the point they can't move or even have fun. That's the line of stupidity for me.

Sad to inform that it has nothing to do with ages. Older people are still impressed with getting 'smashed' for some reason.
Feb 1, 2017 2:00 AM

Jan 2017
I don't care if underage people drink as long as they stay off the road.

Topic kind of makes me wish the liquor store was open tbh.
Feb 1, 2017 2:03 AM

Aug 2013
Sure why not? What's wrong with getting mad with it on a Friday night? Doesn't matter if you're 10 or 15, it's the same thing lol
Feb 1, 2017 4:53 AM
Nov 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
Zephaas said:

Sad to inform that it has nothing to do with ages. Older people are still impressed with getting 'smashed' for some reason.

Really? That's pretty damn stupid, I thought it was just people my age being idiots.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Plushies

_Nette_ - Apr 25

21 by rohan121 »»
18 minutes ago

» The level of NoLifer / NEET / Hiki you are?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

31 by cody »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

67 by 3miL »»
2 hours ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

30 by rohan121 »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - Today

16 by traed »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.