Forum Settings
Forums

"Only an idiot would get a tattoo just because it looks cool"

New
Tattoos and your tool level: Deep vs. cool?
Tattoos with meaning (ie. <3mom, bloods, crips, etc.) are baller as hell.
51.2%
Tattoos without meaning that look really cool are baller as hell.
48.8%
127 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Feb 19, 2010 6:38 PM

Dec 2008
There's a lot of talk of tattoos being "unprofessional" in here.

Does everybody here just aim to become corporate drones where anything "colorful" is frowned upon?

If you want tattoos, find a job that will embrace you and your tattoos.

If you don't want tattoos, just say so and move on.
Feb 19, 2010 7:56 PM
Oct 2009
When I was little I wanted a tatoo of a dragon but then I learned the were applied by needles. >> Now I hate them. On others I don't care to much.
Feb 19, 2010 9:04 PM

Dec 2008
I don't think you understood what I said, but okay.
Feb 19, 2010 9:33 PM

Jul 2009
Can't get a tattoo because of my religion (no, nothing so overly strict or things like that. They just say that I won't be "barried properly" with a tattoo).

But they're alright if you get one with a meaning. My older friend has one in memory of her aunt who passed away.

Though, in other stories, the way I see a biker group with tattoos is different then the way I see guys studying in a library.

Tattoos make people seem... uneducated? Depending on the image.
Feb 20, 2010 5:01 AM

Dec 2007
ParisainGoldfish said:
+2. Very nice. Too bad Fable was an immense disappointment and an unbelievably short game.

Maybe. I still ended up playing it more than 3 times.

Ontopic, I may get a small tattoo one day. I wouldn't want one that is too imposing. Possibly with a religious, or magic meaning.
Feb 20, 2010 8:03 AM

Dec 2007
MarisaKirisameZe said:

Though, in other stories, the way I see a biker group with tattoos is different then the way I see guys studying in a library.

Tattoos make people seem... uneducated? Depending on the image.

I know it's strange, just a couple of weeks ago our surgery teacher was showing us her new tatoo (a tiger, on the lateral surface of her back)
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Feb 20, 2010 8:06 AM

Jan 2010
Tattoos with meaning (ie. <3mom, bloods, crips, etc.) are baller as hell. (your vote)
Sig deleted for being too large.
Feb 20, 2010 6:43 PM

Jul 2008
antitype said:
There's a lot of talk of tattoos being "unprofessional" in here.

Does everybody here just aim to become corporate drones where anything "colorful" is frowned upon?

If you want tattoos, find a job that will embrace you and your tattoos.

Says the guy who doesn't have a job.

In all honesty, most "corporate drones" don't give a shit if you have tattoos or not, with the possible exception of something on your neck or face.

As I mentioned, most of my friends that have tattoos work as accountants or computer programmers for Fortune 500 companies, in hospitals as radiologists or anesthesiologists, etc.

It's not a legitimate problem for working in any of those fields, as long as it can be covered up.
Feb 20, 2010 11:44 PM

Apr 2008
Neither... I don't think a tattoo has to have a special meaning, but "meaningless" tattoos are not "baller".
I believe that tattoos are a form of art. While they don't have to have meaning, they should still be special.

I want a tattoo of a blooming cherry blossom tree just because I think they are extremely beautiful.
I want a tattoo with an Alice in Wonderland theme because Alice has always been my favorite.
Those don't really have a "deep meaning" but they are special to me and an expression of who I am.
Feb 21, 2010 3:42 AM
Jul 2018
I'd only take a tattoo if it means something. Like for someone close who died, or something important that happened in my life.
But hey, that's just me
Feb 21, 2010 4:43 AM

Aug 2009
It depends on one's tastes. I'm fine with a small tattoo, like on the shoulder or on the arm but the large ones are *ugh*. Unless you are in Yakuza, those dragon ones are kickass xD
Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny
- Lao-Tze.

Feb 25, 2010 10:01 AM
Nov 2008
Tattoos are a mixed bag. For instance in the case of the general populace maybe it's just about looks. But for some it isn't

For example in Russia criminals who had spent their time in jail did get them only because of their meaning. Each tattoo had a significance and just by looking at the criminals body you could tell his whole criminal life. It was a sorts of autobiography and they were tattooed according to a certain code.

In the case of sailors it seems that sailors did get tattoos also with meaning.

I think it is just a modern trend to have a tattoo without knowing it meaning or having a meaningless tattoo.

I for instance believe that tattoos should have sense and look cool at the same time.
Feb 25, 2010 3:10 PM
Jul 2008
I think a tattoo should look good and be placed in the right area :/ If it happens to have some meaning, that would be a plus...
Mar 2, 2010 4:46 AM

Sep 2009
I don't think tattoos made without any perticular reason looks better or worse thn another ones. People do give it a deep though before deciding to go and have their tattoo done because of whatever reason. But it's only their own choice, if someone wants to have a art piece which will remind them something till the end of their life, I think this is the best way to do it :3.

We're all golden
Sunflwers
on the inside :>
Mar 2, 2010 7:27 AM

Feb 2010
Those obnoxious ones that run all over the body are utterly repelling to me. I'd never get an outlandish one. Or one just to have one.

Mine would be small, and the color of a birthmark. So when I get old, I don't have some purple lump somewhere on me.

-shrugs-

Gonna Catch 'Em All
Mar 2, 2010 7:31 AM

Jul 2007
Honestly, I think all tattoos are idiotic. No mater how gorgeous or meaningful the design might be, it looks better on a canvas or a wall than it does on your skin.

oh, these little earthquakes
Mar 2, 2010 8:19 AM

Nov 2007
I'm not really a big fan of them, though I've seen some pretty cool tattoos. I wouldn't consider getting one because they're bad for your skin, expensive, and cost a lot to remove. Plus, I hate needles.
Mar 2, 2010 8:35 AM

Dec 2007
Someone said:
I have a really shitty chibi Sailor Jupiter on my ankles that I got when I wasn't mentally stable. I hate it, it was done sooo badly. The face is crooked and the lines are all thick and icky and...ugh. I want it removed, but don't have $2000 to spare.

See? Give it a deep thought.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Mar 2, 2010 1:10 PM

Aug 2009
I've got half a dozen tattoos and a steady job. A couple of them were done on the spot without any thought because I went in to get piercings and said, 'fuck it, I want ink too' and the rest were well planned. They're all part of my body and I love all of them. Sure, I don't think that Flamingos are hot shit anymore [ I have on on my hip ] but it's reminiscent of a time when I did think they were hot shit.

No one at my work cares that I have tattoos and one of them is even on my wrist- always visible. Times, they are a-changin'.
Mar 2, 2010 2:03 PM
Aug 2009
Probably they are some kind of art, but not for me. I don't mind if somebody have tatoo, I don't mind, if they have some special meaning or not. For me it's just some kind of decoration.
Mar 2, 2010 6:30 PM

Oct 2008
I bought some temp tattoos with hello kitty's head on fire the other day..It's on my arm :]

Temp tattoos, yeah I'd wear them if I think it looks cool w/e. But when I'm older, I'd get some meaningful tats. Not too many though, maybe a letter or small dragon on the back of my neck but that's it.

That stuff don't look too good when your skin starts to sag >_> So I'd limit them..I don't care if anyone else has them though, that's your own body I say, do whatever you want.
Jul 3, 2010 5:51 PM
Nov 2009
I think it depends on the person :)

If I got a tattoo that was cool, but didn't have any particular meaning behind it, I know I would regret it later, when I found things that were cooler/also really cool.

But then, tattoos often look really tacky if you try to squash too much meaningful stuff together ]:

Jul 3, 2010 6:10 PM

Apr 2009
I think you can get a tatoo for practical reasons (say you live in a flood plain or tornado alley, or in an earthquake zone, and if the worst should happen you want your body to be able to be identified).

But I think that tatoos should have some special meaning to the person getting them, too, because otherwise if you just get one that 'looks cool', well, what looks cool today might not two or twnety years from now.
Jul 3, 2010 6:15 PM

Jun 2010
In my opinion tattoos are attractive as long as they aren't done horribly. I've seen some absolute horrible tattoos in my day and if you're going to go through the money to pay for a permanent thing on your body then pay it to the right person for christ's sake.
Jul 3, 2010 6:34 PM
Apr 2009
don't get a tattoo if your extended family is all obese, and you work a deskjob 10 hours a day... ;)

doesn't matter if it looks cool cause in a few years it will be distorted regardless... :D
Jul 3, 2010 6:57 PM

Dec 2008
Tattoos have always been a fad. I, for one, do not care for them. I don't think they're very attractive, either, because most people I've talked to can compare them to Pringles chips, in that "once you pop (the cash) you just can't stop (getting more)". Obviously they take the time in deciding what they want because it will mean something to them, but I still don't care for 'em at all.

As an artist, I think the human body is beautiful without additional art. After all, if something means something to me, I'd like to have something drawn or draw something myself and display it somewhere I'll always see it (like nicely framed and preserved on a wall), compared to getting something on my back or something where I'll have to see the backwards version in a mirror - then get it touched up every now and then. Plus, workplaces and the military and stuff frown upon easily visible ones, so that's also swayed my opinion.

tl;dr: Get as many tattoos as you want. Just don't expect me to get any.
Jul 3, 2010 7:00 PM

Nov 2007
I find people who wear tattoos to look kinda dumpy... I don't know why.

Anyway, if I did ever get one, I'd want a pair of wings on my back like Hyde, but I don't plan on ever getting one. They cost too much, and I'm not sure I want to scar my body like that.
Jul 3, 2010 7:02 PM

Mar 2009
I don't mind them but I'm disgusted with people that over do it like having them all over their body where it's hard to see the actual skin.

If it looks good, it's fine. If it looks good and has meaning, +1.
Jul 3, 2010 8:05 PM

Feb 2009
i want a cute tattoo so women dont run away from me in dark alleys anymore
Jul 3, 2010 8:13 PM

May 2010
'no tattoos at all are baller as hell'

i prefer piercings..
Jul 3, 2010 8:46 PM

Apr 2010
I used to want tattoos and piercings. Dunno what changed about me, but now it feels like you're just mutilating your body when you get stuff like that. I don't think tattoos, especially on women, are attractive.
Jul 3, 2010 9:23 PM

Jun 2009
I'm the kind of guy who can't stand to have even ordinary marker ink on his skin. Seriously, people have written things on my hand or something so I would remember them, and I cannot stand it. So, a tattoo, for me, is lunacy.

That said, I'm completely apathetic about other people getting them. I don't find them particularly attractive, but I don't care. Actually, rather than attractive, they're distracting. They draw my attention when I want to be looking at... other things...

Although, interestingly, if I were to happen upon some symbol or icon that becomes a deep part of who I am, down to the very fiber of my being, I wouldn't see much problem with a small tattoo as a constant reminder. Fortunately (or unfortunately), I'm not much one for symbols or icons, so this is very, very unlikely. "He who tries to define himself, will never know who he is." (from the Tao Te Ching I believe)

Bottom line: I generally disapprove of tattoos, but ones that have deep (<-- key word) meaning are kind of cool.
Jul 3, 2010 9:27 PM
Jun 2008
"Only an idiot would think other is an idiot just because it looks cool"
.......sry i think I misread the title
"Only an idiot would get a tattoo just because it looks cool"
Jul 3, 2010 9:27 PM

Jun 2010
In my country people do not like tattoos. They think that only bad people get tattoos and when they see a person with a tattoo, they will assume that he/she is in a gang or something like that.
Jul 4, 2010 1:08 AM

Jul 2010
I do not see the point of going through physical angruish for the need to "Look cool".

That said I would never get a bad looking tatoo. Getting "I seek perfection but wear my scars with pride" either between the shoulders blades or somewhere .

Also intend on getting an arm sleve once I build my body to a point where I'm at a reasonable size. A arm sleve, with the generic black lines; but with words built in. Trust, faith, Love, Logic.
NotSoEpicMuffinzJul 4, 2010 1:19 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Jul 4, 2010 1:10 AM

Oct 2008
Tattoos are not my kind of thing especially the ones with the name of your partner on it - that's lame. Ok you can remove them (it will cost a lot btw) but they still leave scars.
Jul 4, 2010 1:11 AM

Apr 2010
tats with meaning
Jul 4, 2010 1:26 AM

Feb 2010
who gives a shit about other people's body (exception on some certain people)
it's their body they can do w.e they want
just like crabs once you getem u cant get rid of them or aids and other harmful shit
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 4, 2010 1:37 AM
Feb 2010
If they're getting it just because they think they'll look cool then yes, they're an idiot.
If someone's getting a tattoo because they actually want a tattoo then that's fine.
Jul 4, 2010 2:13 AM

Nov 2009
One of the main reasons why people get tattoos is because they look cool! It's a statement, just like your hair or your fashion sense. If you didn't get one because of how they looked, they'd be pretty pointless, unless they had some kind of secret meaning.
curiouser and curiouser :)
Jul 4, 2010 2:10 PM

Dec 2009
I think I would rather have something visually appealing tattooed onto my skin than something that you need to explain the meaning to everyone that sees it in order for them to appreciate it.
Jul 4, 2010 2:14 PM
May 2009
Tatoos are unfitting in todays society in my view. Tatoos were used to distinguish those who had no cries, or those were were affiliated with a group. But nowadays they are just accessories.

People don't get tatoo cause its art or because tehy are dedeicating themselves to something. ITs just an ugly accessory.

I mean escpecially when you see white people with chinese chraters on their arms, it just looks stupid.
Jul 4, 2010 6:06 PM

Feb 2008
Stupid or not, I don't care. It is superficial to judge one just because they have tattoos. People does things only just because it looks cool, so what? People smokes sometimes just to look cool too.
People can do whatever they want, as long as their action won't harm me or annoy me.
The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal name. The nameless is the beginning of heaven and Earth. The named is the mother of the ten thousand things.
I do not recall, Jesus ever saying "build churches, temples, and kill those who doesn't follow christianity..." nor he said "christianity is religion".
News for VN immigrants in EU: vietinfo.eu

Jul 4, 2010 6:16 PM

Mar 2010
people who judge other people for getting tats are tools. thinking tattoos look like shit is completely fine, don't get one. but if you're gonna criticize people for getting them, then you need to find a hobby or something to make you less of an angry person.

i want to get a shitty tattoo just to piss people off. like, david hasselhoff giving an indian dude a high five with meaningless chinese letters above it. then i'm gonna spend the next 3/4ths of my life shirtless in the bball court.
Jul 18, 2010 4:21 PM
Jul 2010
How do you guys feel about tattoos?

Is it wrong to put an image that will never come off on your body or do you think we should display art on our bodies?

Also, if you have a tattoo explain what kind of tattoo you have and where it is on your body!!

I have a tribal tattoo on my left arm!! XD

Jul 18, 2010 4:26 PM

Jul 2009
Ignore this forum and go to this one instead

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=158445

(p.s. you can edit your polls and edit your posts)