Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Saga of Tanya the Evil (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 6, 2017 5:16 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was actually interesting. We got introduced to the main characters and the world of Youjo Senki. Takuya Tsunoki's new studio NUT animated this and I had get used to the character designs a bit. Plus, Tanya's voice..

In the meantime, I like Tanya's personality so far in this show. Quite fitting for the character.

The battle scenes were okay, good amount for what it is so far with the battle music/OST. Pretty interested to see where this goes!
Jan 6, 2017 5:30 AM

Apr 2015
This will be the first big test to see if the studio founded by one of Madhouse's ex co-founder and the staff that followed him into this project can make a name of themselves.

Personally I look positively into this as Takuya Tsunoki was one of the pillars of old Madhouse and one of many personalities that breathed life into many series. So far this start has me quite optimistic about it.
Jan 6, 2017 6:06 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Paging @Zefyris, was this first episode adapted well enough for your liking?
Jan 6, 2017 6:37 AM
Jan 2016
Interesting first episode, they did a good job showing Tanya's personality rather than opening up with the reincarnation to tell us what a hardass he/she was before.

The cutesy female character designs are a bit of an odd contrast to the setting, but I think I can get used to it.
Jan 6, 2017 6:39 AM

Apr 2013
Okaaaay there are huge changes from the original story and on so many level it's impossible to list.
They intend to make a really straight forward entertaining action magic military I guess.
That could work for the sales I suppose, I mean the original material is impossible to adapt in anime as it is anyway. Like ten times too complex for the average anime watcher's attention spawn so that would lead to a borefest that doesn't sell, no a smart idea.

Guess I'll just sit back and enjoy the animation and Y.Aoi 's voice acting then. That could be a fun ride nonetheless. Not sure the animation will remain as good for long, but hey, can always hope.
But man Visha is really ugly in the anime. What the hell seriously.

EDIT :
@Tokoya : I didn't especially expect them to be faithful to the original story, and they were even less than I expected. Peoples wanting a good and proper military story should read the novels, my position on this didn't really change. Anime will be mostly for action and should be watched as such.
ZefyrisJan 6, 2017 6:44 AM
Jan 6, 2017 6:44 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Zefyris said:
Okaaaay that's a huge change from the original story on so many level it's impossible to list.
They intend to make a really straight forward entertaining action magic military I guess.
That could work for the sales I suppose, I mean the original material is impossible to adapt in anime as it is anyway. Like ten times too complex for the average anime watcher's attention spawn so that would lead to a borefest that doesn't sell, no a smart idea.

Guess I'll just sit back and enjoy the animation and Y.Aoi 's voice acting then. That could be a fun ride nonetheless. Not sure the animation will remain as good for long, but hey, can always hope.

EDIT :
@Tokoya : I didn't especially expect them to be faithful to the original story, and they were even less than I expected. Peoples wanting a good and proper military story should read the novels, my position on this didn't really change. Anime will be mostly for action and should be watched as such.
Interesting analysis....Any idea where I can find the novels then (In English)
Jan 6, 2017 6:45 AM

Apr 2013
Tokoya said:
Zefyris said:
Okaaaay that's a huge change from the original story on so many level it's impossible to list.

EDIT :

I don't read them in english myself but.... I think Skythewood is translating it.
Jan 6, 2017 6:52 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Zefyris said:
Tokoya said:

I don't read them in english myself but.... I think Skythewood is translating it.
Oh okay, thanks buddy
Jan 6, 2017 6:57 AM

Aug 2013
I only read the first few chaps of vol 1, but yeah just like Zefyris said looks like this would be just a "lite" version of the novel. (Even more "lite" than typical LN adaptations)

And goddamnit whoever approved Visha's design must have some serious eye disorder.
Jan 6, 2017 8:00 AM

May 2013
Well, could have been a decent WW1 story without the ridiculous flying loli mage thing. And whoever approved the designs of the grills should get fired.

Jan 6, 2017 8:05 AM

Dec 2016
I did not expect this to be as awesome as it was, now let's hope it can actually create an interesting story/world. I doubt it, but we'll have to see.
Jan 6, 2017 8:10 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well I'm not quite sure what to make of this but it sure was fun to watch at least :>

Also gets some originality points if nothing else
Jan 6, 2017 8:12 AM

Nov 2010
It's was ok, nothing special.

My main problem was Tanya's voice. it's pretty annoying. don't know if i can get used to it.
Jan 6, 2017 8:12 AM

Jan 2015
Damn, can't look other way than her eyes. Just like the the picture, it's a bright bluish green eyes whatever they called it for sure. But I never thought there will another person that have the eye.
And that head-cut action she just done, now this is more like it.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Jan 6, 2017 8:18 AM

Dec 2015
Guess their Empire is a version of Germany, I wonder it it'll continue with the war and the battle episodes or just change into political stuff as well.
Tanya doesn't look like it but she's a pretty twisted person, maybe too cruel for my taste, but we'll see.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jan 6, 2017 8:19 AM

Apr 2009
Garbage as expected, looking forward to laugh at the stupid historical inaccuracies every week.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jan 6, 2017 8:19 AM

Apr 2012
That edgy smile at the end had me in stitches, haha.
Watching for so bad it's good purposes.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Jan 6, 2017 8:20 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Yeah, another fairly good start, but again nothing that will probably not touch the 8/10 range for me.

The blast scene was very well done though and that animation with her eyes at the end o__O
Jan 6, 2017 8:25 AM

Jul 2014
Wasn't expecting much, but this was terrible. Considering just last season we had Brave Witches and Last Witch and both did this sort of show better in every single way, as have every previous show like this.

But hey, if bullet dodging loli who can fire mini nukes and who is amused by their own troops being slaughtered is your thing even with the shitty character design, bad voice acting, you've found your show.
Jan 6, 2017 8:29 AM

May 2009
I hope they actually show how Tanya ended up there. This is really different from the LN. lol But doesn't look bad so far.
Jan 6, 2017 8:33 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
OKAY, THAT EPISODE WAS FUCKING AWESOME

I get that the military aspects are supposed to be super complex and dialogue heavy, but honestly what they gave us in this episode was pretty good imo

I loved how they introduced us to the world and how they managed to state the condition of the war for THE FATHERLAND etc etc and the way they showcased the battlefield was just great

I AM IN LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE WITH TANYA, HOLY FUCK BEST GIRL AND GUY CONFIRMED AND THEY'RE THE SAME DAMN PERSON LOL....This episode makes me wanna see how she was when she was a guy lol....Man I love his/her personality/ideological outlook on things as well as dem SKILLS

My only gripe is that the art style is just......Sighhhhh, why couldn't they have used the LN art style :( The only design I actually like a lot is Tanya's, everyone else is just meh (And that other girl with Tanya is just hard to look at sometimes)

Either way, the animation wasn't bad at all and overall this was a great first episode...I cannot wait to see more

Dec 2014
That was an entertaining start and a very good episode.

Seems to have one of those Magic and Science settings, I'm not particularly fond of this setting since anime with such settings never really explain the rules behind the powers they use and come up with these random explanations to whatever reactions or events that happen. Like even in this episode, when Tanya created that explosion they gave this random explanation for this 'Diffusive Magic Explosion' where Magic combines with air under pressure or whatever. It feels like a very superficial way of trying to impart complexity or whatever into the show, Now this would work had they actually explained the basics behind what Magic is and how it interacts with the world but without that it just raises questions. Questions that may not even be answered and in the end you're just forced to accept, this is how stuff works in this world so get used to it. They could have just kept it simple by saying explosion and I wouldn't have even bothered. XD Why did you have to give me that random explanation of world physics that makes me question things? :|
Well I suppose I can just hope for the best regarding world lore and explanations.

That little nitpicking aside, I enjoyed the action. Animation was great and I hope the quality stays this way.

Based on what I read above, I suppose this is gonna be all flashy since they can't adapt the complexity of the novels. Not that I mind that, more action is always welcomed.
Also them Tanya faces and expressions. XD

Looking forward to see what next week holds.
Jan 2013
for me it was interesting :D its nice to see a series from perspective of evil protagonist.

I only hope we won't get typical change of heart scenario
rikuhodJan 6, 2017 8:37 AM
Jan 6, 2017 8:36 AM

Aug 2016
Damn, this is looking very good!
Nanika ga Okashii
Jan 6, 2017 8:38 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Nidhoeggr said:
Garbage as expected, looking forward to laugh at the stupid historical inaccuracies every week.
How can there be historical inaccuracies in a fictional parallel world?
Jan 6, 2017 8:39 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
HaXXspetten said:
Nidhoeggr said:
Don't question it....I almost choked when I read his comment lol
Jan 6, 2017 8:43 AM

Oct 2012
So they skipped the Prologue, Ch. 1 and Ch. 2 and went straight to Ch. 3 of the LN, the did cut out a lot of content from Ch. 3 as well.
I'm sure this was one of those preview episodes and that it will start from the Prologue next episode.

Visha's character design is awfull and they put an ahoge on Tanya for no reason.

Was okay.

EDIT: Story is based in an alternate timeline of 1923 where magic exists and WW1 never happened. Also Germany (called Empire) is the one getting invaded. Also the country borders are different.
zxrdmJan 6, 2017 8:58 AM
Jan 6, 2017 8:47 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
zxrdm said:
So they skipped the Prologue, Ch. 1 and Ch. 2 and went straight to Ch. 3 of the LN, the did cut out a lot of content from Ch. 3 as well.
I'm sure this was one of those preview episodes and that it will start from the Prologue next episode.

Visha's character design is awfull and they put an ahoge on Tanya for no reason.

Was okay.
Was just about to ask about this.....I'm gonna read the prologue now but I'm hoping that they touch on the other chapters
Jan 6, 2017 8:47 AM

Jan 2015
Awwww it's finally here. The wait is over!!!! It was PReeeetty awesome :D Here comes the start of a psycho/evil Tanya... Her voice was super FUnny LOOOL

Also best line in 2017 lol "If you're wearing this uniform contribute to your country. The empire doesn't have resources to waste on weak soldiers"

rikuhod said:

Oh boy Don't worry. WE for sure won't see anything like that. Did you see that smile at the end? She is not sane 0.0
Jan 6, 2017 8:48 AM

Aug 2015
That was entertaining first episode to say the least, action and character especially Tanya was good. I liked Yuuki Aoi's acting as Tanya it reminds me of Tenkawa Maihime. I hope it not end as a disappointment because this looks promising. I was confused who was Visha that everyone was talking to.
SeijiroUshioJan 6, 2017 10:02 AM
Jan 6, 2017 8:48 AM

Jul 2014
Tokoya said:
HaXXspetten said:

It's a more valid comment then there being differences in the original manga/LN... Format, length, cost, lots of valid reasons why changes need to be made, or even the original material is simply being improved upon with the rewrite. But why pull out a map of Germany if it's not Germany? There is no reason to do that.

But it's a bullet-dodging show. The writers obviously are not making any attempt at things making sense, they're just hurling random garbage on the screen that they think children will like. So it's no surprise we get unreasoned things like Germany that isn't Germany and having an insane main character just makes their random crap flinging "justified."
Jan 6, 2017 8:49 AM

Apr 2013
Wow, this season of Strike Witches sure is weird...
Jan 6, 2017 8:49 AM

Jan 2015
zxrdm said:

YEAH LOL that ahoge. I quickly rechecked manga to see if she has one or if i'm going crazy 0.0 Not sure if it suits her at all ><
Jan 6, 2017 8:52 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Sokah said:
Tokoya said:

It's a more valid comment then there being differences in the original manga/LN... Format, length, cost, lots of valid reasons why changes need to be made, or even the original material is simply being improved upon with the rewrite. But why pull out a map of Germany if it's not Germany? There is no reason to do that.

But it's a bullet-dodging show. The writers obviously are not making any attempt at things making sense, they're just hurling random garbage on the screen that they think children will like. So it's no surprise we get unreasoned things like Germany that isn't Germany and having an insane main character just makes their random crap flinging "justified."
Because it's not a map of Germany/Europe or any non fictional location....It's just a map
Jan 6, 2017 8:53 AM

Dec 2010
Visha chara design isn't very good but it was in line with the whole chara design, very different from the novels.
About the story, not surprised either with their decision to make an action war anime instead of a complex and psychological adaption, too bored from a tv serie and its audience.

If you discard the novels completely i guess this can be a good and entertain anime.
Jan 6, 2017 8:58 AM

Apr 2016
I don't know. How did she foresee that the pillbox would get destroyed? Like a pillbox is "always" destroyed in the next days or hours? Of course? That's why you build them.

Will this become the Izetta 2.0 of winter? We'll see.
Jan 6, 2017 9:08 AM

Mar 2011
Yeah, Visha's design was pretty different, in manga she's beautiful af, but you know, if you keep watching the show her eyes kinda become more normal (at least this happened to me while watching it)
I will take this episode as introduction to the main characters and to show off Tanya's personality and power. It has happened before in other series were they skip the original first chapter and just to put it later.
Animation was pretty good I hope it will stay like this until in the end and not drop like others, also the OST was freaking great.
Tanya at the end like: "get rekt"
Jan 6, 2017 9:09 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Sokah said:
Tokoya said:

That's like saying Code Geass sucks because it takes place in Brittania. I.E. pretty silly

They use different names in order to be able to tell a story based on an alternative history, and the use the real world geography as a basis to help people familiarize themselves with the setting. If it took place in a random world then there'd be no World War I to base the story upon, but if you actually made it the real world then it'd be much more far-fetched to throw in stuff like magic here in a credible way
Jan 6, 2017 9:11 AM

Apr 2014
Japan and their loli's

Jan 6, 2017 9:13 AM

Apr 2016
Whelp! I'm trying to restrain myself from reading the novel. I downloaded it already but I won't give in. I WON'T GIVE IIIIIINNN!!!!!

The premise is unique in a not bad and not goo— let me rephrase that.

The premise is unique in a unique way.

Anyways, that was okay, I guess. The art was... meh~
Music is good. More MYTH & ROID is always welcome.

Cheers to a 2017 with great possibilities for having better anime compared to last year.
SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT!SPLAT! SPLAT!
Jan 6, 2017 9:13 AM
Nov 2016
Zefyris said:
Tokoya said:

You can find it on Baka-Tsuki. That's where I read the material.
I can see that the person who made the long comment above has read the source material just like me, nice!

Honestly, I kinda felt the same way about the complexity. The novel is just so complex at times that it just can't really be adapted at all. However, if they do manage to do it successfully while keeping the watcher's attention, then that'll be a HUGE plus. But unfortunately, I'm not sure if they'll attempt that though. They probably, at least in my opinion.
Jan 6, 2017 9:16 AM
Nov 2016
Hirugiku said:
Awwww it's finally here. The wait is over!!!! It was PReeeetty awesome :D Here comes the start of a psycho/evil Tanya... Her voice was super FUnny LOOOL

Also best line in 2017 lol "If you're wearing this uniform contribute to your country. The empire doesn't have resources to waste on weak soldiers"

rikuhod said:

Oh boy Don't worry. WE for sure won't see anything like that. Did you see that smile at the end? She is not sane 0.0

Tanya is quite the cynic, isn't she?

lol, I'm one of the few that read the source material long before the anime came out, and I gotta say, this episode was quite pleasant, wasn't it?
Jan 6, 2017 9:18 AM

Apr 2013
Sokah said:
Tokoya said:

ooookay you're making as little sense as usual, glad to see you didn't improve one bit in the meantime since we last talked.

It's a parallel universe. The geography of the world is the SAME. but the history didn't go the same to some extend.
Now tell me how complaining about history discrepancy from a world that is "same geography but different history" as its initial setting makes any sense here?

Also, can you clarify one thing in your post please. When you say the "writers" are you talking about the author of the novel, or the script writer of the anime?
So far it seems to me that the one who didn't bother thinking and is hurling random garbage is you with your comment, but surely you can clarify that.
Jan 6, 2017 9:18 AM

Sep 2016
waow that was boring

ANOTHER modern warfare + magic? lol it's going to be shit

also additional bad character design and voice actor
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jan 6, 2017 9:19 AM
Nov 2016
Tokoya said:
Sokah said:

Because it's not a map of Germany/Europe or any non fictional location....It's just a map

Oh my gosh, I'm not even gonna ask about this.

Just because it's a show that's set in a real-world setting dosen't mean that it'll put references here and there consistently.

This is a work of FICTION, not a history lesson.

Although, I have a slight feeling they'll scatter real world references here and there occasionally.
Jan 6, 2017 9:20 AM

Feb 2015
Average start so far. Hoping the MC Is more evil than what was show in the ep.
I'm getting Izetta vibes (which I dropped) but will this 3 eps at least.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 6, 2017 9:20 AM

Jan 2015
ThatGirlOtaku said:
Hirugiku said:

Tanya is quite the cynic, isn't she?

lol, I'm one of the few that read the source material long before the anime came out, and I gotta say, this episode was quite pleasant, wasn't it?

Long before the anime came out Wow. I only recently got recommended to read it by a friend so it wasn't a long wait for me. But of course It's gonna be quite pleasant if you gonna wait for something that long lol. So happy for you lol your wait is finally over. Time to enjoy some Tanya ^^
Jan 6, 2017 9:21 AM
Nov 2016
ThatGirlOtaku said:
Zefyris said:

You can find it on Baka-Tsuki. That's where I read the material.
I can see that the person who made the long comment above has read the source material just like me, nice!

Honestly, I kinda felt the same way about the complexity. The novel is just so complex at times that it just can't really be adapted at all. However, if they do manage to do it successfully while keeping the watcher's attention, then that'll be a HUGE plus. But unfortunately, I'm not sure if they'll attempt that though. They probably, at least in my opinion.

At least, I meant not all of the complexity. Just enough complexity to not confuse the viewer, or throw out too much information at once on a consistent basis.
Jan 6, 2017 9:21 AM

Apr 2013
GangsterCat said:
waow that was boring

ANOTHER modern warfare + magic? lol it's going to be shit

also additional bad character design and voice actor

You realize that... The cast of seiyuu in this anime is gorgeous right? You're calling peoples like Aoi Yuuki bad voice actors? xD
Jan 6, 2017 9:27 AM
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2017

291 by Phixiately »»
Today, 8:26 AM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2017

147 by Phixiately »»
Apr 22, 9:38 AM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 3, 2017

175 by Phixiately »»
Apr 17, 8:45 AM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 24, 2017

186 by Phixiately »»
Apr 16, 8:48 AM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 10, 2017

141 by Phixiately »»
Apr 15, 9:39 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.