Forum Settings
Forums
A Silent Voice
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (15) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
May 29, 2017 2:32 PM

Apr 2017
In my opinion this movie is simply beautifull.

It is more sad than happy to me and I cannot say I simply enjoyed it.
It made a massive impression on me and made me thinking a lot.
However if not the happy ending or rather hopefull ending I would be devastated.

I cannot understand why someone would bully such a wonderfull and sweet person.
Although this movie is about growth, redemtion and romance is not the main point but...I came to love Shouko for her gentle and sweet personality and I would be so happy if they end up together.

There is a lot beyond the dialogue lines to discover for the viewer and I doubt this movie could be done better.

If communication is the topic then I would not expect from children to understand how the disabled person feels. Nishimiya had a lot of feelings with guilt and self hate all destructive, how a child could ever understand it fully?
It was rather like aww she is weird she apologizes all the time she piss me off (because it is so difficult to understand others and communicate).

Saying that Nishimiya did not try to understand others is just cruel ignorance.

She tried to communicate and followed others and tried to join in but was excluded because it is sooo difficult to write in the book all the time and children get bored quickly so there it is.

She struggled every day and tried to make friends with everybody Ueno is just an arrogant brat and maybe jealous too.

I think Nishimiya liked Shouya from the beginning and that is why she was not giving up on him, maybe she understood he is not bad in heart and wanted him to like her too and maybe because of his behaviour she disliked herself even more feeling she is disgusting.

That scene when she makes a friends sign in the schoolyard and Shouya throws a sand at her was heartbraking for me.

I had lots of mixed feelings watching but I think that the ending is right they just need time to fully recover and start to love eachother and after all they went through I doubt that he will treat her wrong ever again.
May 29, 2017 5:22 PM

Oct 2012
Strange movie, in a good way. Kinda thoughtprovoking, and very inner-self oriented. A lot of symbolism there.
And perhaps the first movie with deaf heroine made right, with all the conflicts included (though it felt a bit overdramatic at times).

Still, dunno how much of source material was omitted but it felt a bit rushed and rough on edges at times. Not that it would become incomprehensible, not at all, but I thought some things dealing with their friendship could have been explored more thoroughly, maybe fit for the series rather than movie better. Even though the movie felt like a complete experience on the other hand.

All-in-all this movie is definitely worth seeing at least once, if only because of its uniqueness and relative true-to-real life confession of deaf and insecure suicidal people. I liked how almost noone changed their behavior, how their quirks and character faults were protruding even during the end.

It's not a tearjerker as many viewers probably believe though. It runs a lot more deeper and it was very disturbing when thinking back because its themes resonates with our reality so well. I would even go as far as to say that save for the touching closing scene there weren't any other tearjerking scene before and those who were crying all the movie probably didn't truly understood those heavy undertones hidden under almost every scene.

7/10
May 29, 2017 6:46 PM

Aug 2012
jal90 said:

Well, this thread and the subforum in general are focused on discussing the events and ideas inside the film, so maybe a more indepth discussion on suicide and depression would be an off-topic diversion and we should rather move to Casual Discussion for that. There have been quite a bunch of threads about these issues out there if I remember correctly.

I had meant talking about the theme of suicide/depression in how it relates to the movie, not in general, but thank you for your concern. :)
May 30, 2017 7:17 AM

May 2016
Such a beautiful anime that gives many lessons. I know the feeling of the main character. Depress and sad as always but this anime gives me the strength to connect with people and listen to them more. Not to let my head down and always keep my head up.
May 30, 2017 8:31 AM
Jan 2012
GangsterCat said:
GohanwaOkazu said:
If you didn't like it, then perhaps you are not yet ready to enjoy this kind of show. Or perhaps you are also a person with communication disorders like Shouya and Shouko, and feel the movie too painful to watch.

nice way to attack when someone didn't enjoy your favorite anime as much as you, Ueno!

Nah, I was only being compassionate, and of course I don't know you in person, so I can't tell, although I know people who act like that. In any case, don't take it as an offense. You can enjoy whatever you find enjoyable...
May 30, 2017 11:06 AM
Jul 2008
Quite good but not outstanding. The pace seems to be quite fast. I think it would be better if it's on TV format.

Mashiba and Nagatsuka don't get enough character development/explanation. Mashiba was creepy by suddenly saying he wanted to be a friend without any reason.
I like the interaction between Nagatsuka and Yuzuru.

Rupdedudludu said:
This may be a silly question but... Is it even possible for a deaf person to attend a normal school?

It's possible but will be hard. Some school has special class for special people but that school seems to be only a regular school.
I read somewhere her mother wanted her to become 'strong' so she was put in regular school instead of specialized school.
May 30, 2017 11:08 AM

Aug 2016
Beautiful movie, but there were too many things that just felt wrong :/

I just hate Ueno and her behavior and how she's treated by the others (if anyone SHE should have no one left to talk to...scum)
Yes Ishida did quite a few things (horribly!) wrong, but even as a teenager Ueno continued to bully Nishimiya? Even beat her up? (Several times?)

And for what reason exactly? She didn't see Ishida for years and did behave like she has the right to do such things? And she looked after him in the hospital and even denied other's access to the room? Sick girl and everyone just lets her be.
(Doesn't matter that she apparently wanted him and Shimada to go along again. The setting how she thought it would work out was sick as well)
She's basically one of the Key reasons why Nishimiya tried to kill herself, I personally would choose to ignore her for the rest of my life

Additionally: I just do not get why the other's from the class went against Ishida? Were they afraid that they would have to pay money as well in case it was detected that they were bullying Nishimiya as well? There was no reason at all why everyone - out of the blue - decides to go against him, despite having lots of fun before.

By the way I think that during the fight on the bridge Ishida had very, very valid points and shouldn't be blamed for anything (beside the part with Nagatsuka) he said back there. Even Kawai turned out to be a sneaky, little b*tch (sorry XD) Not everything should be forgiven and forgotten >__<

This movie goes way, way too easy on the subject of guilt.

AAAAAAND (most important): Nishimiya never got to say "I like you" again in this movie >__> (the scene after the hospital was more of a promise that she'd help him to live correct?

So 7/10
May 30, 2017 1:23 PM
Jul 2018
I never heard about Koe no katachi before i see the movie, it's over dramatic sometimes but it's a good movie..I'll check the manga later

May 30, 2017 8:10 PM

May 2016
Akiho90 said:
Beautiful movie, but there were too many things that just felt wrong :/

I just hate Ueno and her behavior and how she's treated by the others (if anyone SHE should have no one left to talk to...scum)
Yes Ishida did quite a few things (horribly!) wrong, but even as a teenager Ueno continued to bully Nishimiya? Even beat her up? (Several times?)

And for what reason exactly? She didn't see Ishida for years and did behave like she has the right to do such things? And she looked after him in the hospital and even denied other's access to the room? Sick girl and everyone just lets her be.
(Doesn't matter that she apparently wanted him and Shimada to go along again. The setting how she thought it would work out was sick as well)
She's basically one of the Key reasons why Nishimiya tried to kill herself, I personally would choose to ignore her for the rest of my life

Additionally: I just do not get why the other's from the class went against Ishida? Were they afraid that they would have to pay money as well in case it was detected that they were bullying Nishimiya as well? There was no reason at all why everyone - out of the blue - decides to go against him, despite having lots of fun before.

By the way I think that during the fight on the bridge Ishida had very, very valid points and shouldn't be blamed for anything (beside the part with Nagatsuka) he said back there. Even Kawai turned out to be a sneaky, little b*tch (sorry XD) Not everything should be forgiven and forgotten >__<

This movie goes way, way too easy on the subject of guilt.

AAAAAAND (most important): Nishimiya never got to say "I like you" again in this movie >__> (the scene after the hospital was more of a promise that she'd help him to live correct?

So 7/10

The reason Ueno still hates Nishimiya is explained in the amusement park scene, long story short with her twisted logic she puts all the blame on Nishimiya, there is some truth in what she says but not everything she says should be taken at face value.

The reason everyone bullied Ishida afterwards was because he is a scapegoat, its much easier to blame others then to take responsibility. These are things you see even adults do. Add to that, Kawai was intentionally playing the victim and dramatizing everything, making Ishida look even more like a villain hence the ganging up on him.

The issue that bridge scene presents is not whether Ishida or anyone is wrong but rather their approach is. All of them were too obsessed with their own perspective they were all intentionally shutting each other out. Then you have the two outsiders that don't even see the big picture and just take whatever Kawaii says at face value.
May 30, 2017 9:23 PM

Oct 2016
What was with that scene with the doctor at the 1hr and 2 second mark? It was all dramatic and sad and then she got a new earpiece and a ponytail? What was the point of that? Was it about the

Also, when it came to things the movie left out,

Also I felt that
TalconMay 30, 2017 9:27 PM
May 31, 2017 12:42 AM

Apr 2017
Akiho90 said:

It is normal.

Everybody had fun but when it comes to pay consequences they just got scared and wanted to avoid that.

There was one person who was main bully or most visible one (Kawaii was not worse although her bullying was more covert as she did it indirectly) and this person usually takes all blame (scapegoat).
It takes strong morality and courage to take responsibility and it is risky because you may get a label which will be difficult to get rid of so everyone preffered to push the blame on one person and get clear themselves.

They are children so they don't have that kind of adult morality and they are just scared of consequences. Also their friendship was not so serious and deep to risk something for oneanother.
May 31, 2017 1:39 AM

Apr 2009
Saji_Genpou said:
Akiho90 said:

It is normal.

Everybody had fun but when it comes to pay consequences they just got scared and wanted to avoid that.

There was one person who was main bully or most visible one (Kawaii was not worse although her bullying was more covert as she did it indirectly) and this person usually takes all blame (scapegoat).
It takes strong morality and courage to take responsibility and it is risky because you may get a label which will be difficult to get rid of so everyone preffered to push the blame on one person and get clear themselves.

They are children so they don't have that kind of adult morality and they are just scared of consequences. Also their friendship was not so serious and deep to risk something for oneanother.

Which makes the teacher the worst, he's the adult here (in the manga he was even more despicable). He also laughed along with the class and even thought that the bullying was deserved, for both Nishimiya and Ishida. Kawai is also not better off, because she is still in denial as a teenager.
May 31, 2017 2:10 AM
Sep 2014
Raitei said:
My expectations were pretty low for this considering they had to fit a lot of story into 2 hours, but it was pretty much perfect. They did remove quite a few things, but they managed to tell the main story almost exactly as I remembered it, and the ending actually felt much more satisfying that in the manga.

The art was great too, exactly as it is in the manga.

Overall, I'm somewhat blown away at how good it was...

So what was different between the ending of the manga and the ending of the movie?
May 31, 2017 2:16 AM

Apr 2017
@shiroi-ookami

I havent read the manga yet, but this explains why when Ishida was taking a piss in a reading from the book scene the teacher let it go and was so easy on Ishida in other cases as he was most noticable. To spot Kawaii's bullying he needed to be much closer and take part in conversations which was impossible most of the times.

Anyway it is out of question he is a failure as a teacher.

May 31, 2017 5:29 AM

Jun 2007
I cried so much, I actually got a light headache from crying xD
Really loved the movie, it portrayed a story that isn't talked much with so many different perspectives and I think it executed it quite well.
Like many said, squishing so many chapters into a 2 hour movie is rather an impossible task so a lot of content was forsaken, but I was able to follow along nicely. I do hope I will one day read the manga, not much of a manga reader, sadly....

Let's see, the good:
-Animation was superb, so beautiful! Can't say more about that...
-Character! I really loved the extensive set of characters:
From one mother's protectiveness of her bullied child, to another mother finding out that hers was a bully. The bully getting bullied and his road to redemption. Our loving main heroine, that gets happy when she discovers that her bullies are learning sign language. Her younger sister taking so much responsibility. The group of friends and their growth.

3 things to rant about, mainly my 3 main disliked characters:
1. That damn teacher they had in their 6th grade! I was so pissed that a grown adult would allow so much bullying to take place, and the part where he got "mad" at Ishida for causing it when the principal brought it up... 100% hatred towards him. He didn't take action, let it escalate, and then placed all the blame on one kid.... I hope that he gets what he deserves in the manga. A good slap!
2. Ueno... goodness gracious! I understand that she didn't want Shouko for a friend, not all kids can be compassionate like Sahara was, but she took her dislike to her so far... She bullied her own friend (sahara), and blamed the fall of her group on Shouko's existence... She never grew up, even in high school, her first instinct upon seeing Shouko after many years was to bully her, she even kept her from visiting Ishida at the hospital, she was the most immature out of all the kids... I definitely liked that her face was X'ed majority of the movie and I was so amazed at Shouko's loving heart when she realized that Ueno was signing towards the end... I hope Ueno properly apologizes in the future.
3. Kawai and her tears.. goodness gracious can the girl play the victim...

Favorite character goes to Shouko, of course. Ishida, second, he really redeemed himself. I'm so glad that he was able to move forwards towards the end, I wish him a happy life (hopefully with Shouko!) I kept thinking that line of "Help me live" implied for her to stay by his side.
MVP goes to Yuzu! I loved her! She was so darling throughout the whole movie. So protective to the point of trying to prevent her sister from suicidal thoughts. I really wish to have seen more of her own life.
Nagatsuka- I loved every single moment he was on screen. Best friend award!
Lastly, Mashiba was a really good character. I loved how straightforward he was. I also would have liked to have seen more of him.

Overall, movie was great 9/10 for me (:

@Talcon

I thought that scene with the doctor was about Shouko's hearing getting worse. That she lost complete hearing in one her ears. Since the next scene she is lying in her bed crying, testing one of her ears, and then when Ueno takes her hearing aid- there is only 1.
You bring me doubts now xD
xxjanismMay 31, 2017 5:42 AM
May 31, 2017 2:26 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Boi, that was so fucking good.
I was a little on the fence before starting it because sometimes hype kills it for me but man, i felt a lot of emotions and shed a couple of tears during the movie. The music, art and animation was also top notch.

Solid 9/10.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

May 31, 2017 6:54 PM

Oct 2013
Okay, I don't want to be the "They completely fucked up the source material, go read the manga instead!!!" kinda guy, specially since I'm not even THAT fond of the manga to begin with, but I genuinely believe adapting 60+ chapters into a single movie was not a good idea.

The movie is sloppily paced, several plot points feel either rushed or were completely ignored, like the whole movie project thing, and worst of all, KyoAni didn't bother to adapt the characterizations of pretty much everyone except for the main duo more or less. Seriously, there was so much more to characters like Ueno, Shoko's mother, and Mashiba. But due to KyoAni largely ignoring the side characters everyone feels so superficial and undercooked.

Of course, there is so much KyoAni can do, but as I said above, adapting the manga into a movie was not a good idea to begin with. An one cour long adaption would've worked so much better for this manga, but oh well...

6/10

Edit: Also since everyone seem to be comparing these two, I just want to say that I enjoyed Kimi no Na wa more than Koe no Katachi.
V0ltgMay 31, 2017 7:02 PM
May 31, 2017 7:46 PM

Mar 2015
That was great but, I was pitying both the main characters throughout and from the attempted suicide to them meeting again had me in tears. But to be completely honest they should've presented some of the characters better like Ueno and Mashiba had zero presence, it just had me thinking why did they even add that guy.

Wished they showed a future montage afterwards, that would've been a great ending. There was no real conclusion which is a bummer.

Edit; Just read the last few chapters of the manga and there was no real conclusion either....
vong10Jun 1, 2017 1:01 AM
Jun 1, 2017 6:24 AM
Jun 2014
After reading the manga for tens of times, I feel disappointed with the movie. There were so many key points that have been ignored and the plot has been rushed so much, that even some characters felt like fillers.
The art, voices/sound and everything else was great, but the plot was a big turn-down. The manga dispatched way more strong feelings than this movie.

Maybe they rushed it because they had a limit of time or something, but I've always thought that if a movie has to be 4 hours instead of 2 to be great, then be it. I prefer having to pause a movie for 5-10 minutes to get some rest/go to the toilet rather than having a 2-hour poorly developed movie.
Jun 1, 2017 8:06 AM

Apr 2014
after reading the manga have to say really loved the movie just like some other great series turned anime the anime just gives it so much life the music the voices the animation just makes alot of things so much better

though i really wish they would have kept some things in the movie to really show how bad some thing really got like the violence in the movie is really toned down compared to the manga but guessing that change had to made because how things are now days

also i wish they would have animated the last bit that was left from the manga cause where the movie ended there was only just a little bit more that the manga had left though tbh even in the manga i wish there was just a little bit more for the ending

but all in all reading the manga then watching the anime is the best way and overall i really enjoyed the movie so much more

Shouko is the best and being able to hear her voice gave so many emotions it was great really gave alot of things alot more impact

but yeah loved the movie its always nice to get series liked this thats really hits hard and realistic makes you really think about life and how things are
"one step at a time"
Jun 1, 2017 7:01 PM
Mar 2016
Maybe i enjoyed it more than others due to the fact many of these themes have entered my own life. so watching something like this had its own sense of beauty in a way. though i ended up crying through most of it.

I ended up reading the rest of the manga, i'm surprised they didn't add the last little bit since there was only a few chapters left but, isn't that much of a worry.

i can see why this anime is not for everyone, it covers some very horrible topics that many people either haven't faced or don't want to face, and i can see why. but i think those of us who have faced even some of these themes might be able to get more out of this movie.

9.5/10 for me, nothing is perfect but this has been very very close to it.
Jun 2, 2017 4:20 AM

Mar 2015
This was really good T_T

Well done, KyoAni! And thanks for the great movie you've brought to us!

10/10!!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jun 2, 2017 2:14 PM

Jan 2016
Just finally saw it, and it was more emotional then i expected ;^; really wonderful movie and story! really have a hard time to describe it fully but u really understand his feeling in a way and it really hit me hard with this all sadly i like 9.4/10 (9/10) cause i wanna know if they did get together :-: or not i wanted a kissssssuuu *^*
cause MAL is doing there job for once.
Jun 2, 2017 6:06 PM

Mar 2015
that opening song tho
Jun 2, 2017 8:07 PM

May 2015
And the rating is going down of course. Guess some people just can't recognize a masterpiece when they see one.

Jun 2, 2017 8:33 PM
Nov 2013
For anyone interested in cinematography:
Koe no Katachi: Subjective & Objective Point of Views
Jun 3, 2017 3:04 AM

Nov 2014
GohanwaOkazu said:
menuetto said:

the visuals were so pretty and amazing! the voice acting and soundtrack also really made certain scenes a lot more emotional.

That "groaning" of Shoko at the climax really is a superb acting. I can still hear her voice even days after.

wait.
what?
this better not be what im thinking...
Jun 3, 2017 11:02 PM

Nov 2013
This was pretty intense. There were times when I thought some stuff was overplayed, but it all came together in the end. This is a movie that could be a companion to "Colorful".. because it demonstrates that actions have consequences. The idea that bullying is harmful is clear in both films.

There were moments when the situation has you expecting one thing and then things switch around completely. I found myself forgetting to breathe a couple times during the later part of this film. When your mind is so overwhelmed with anxiety over an intense moment that you forget to breathe. All I can say is, this was a powerful story.

There were moments in this film where I found myself asking "do Japanese people REALLY act like this?" referring to the scene where Ueno assaulted Shouko's mother. Wow. Just wow. That scene made me cringe.

The opening theme by Peter Townsend, a song from 1965, came as a bit of a surprise. But appropriate in this film's context for the younger phase of the characters.

As I write this, I am just two and a half weeks away from a trip to Japan, so these "high fidelity" anime are a language lesson for me.
Jun 4, 2017 6:24 AM

Mar 2016
GohanwaOkazu said:
One thing that I didn't fully understand by first view was one of the triggers that motivated Shoko to confess her feelings with her own voice.

There are other moments which I felt first hard to understand but which has implications and reasons why made so.

Or is it that maybe her one ear now is completely deaf... So before she lost both hearing completely, it's either now or never for her to say something with her own voice whilst she still quite understand what she's saying.
Jun 4, 2017 2:32 PM

Apr 2015
"He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother."
befriend (v.): To violently attack someone with very dangerous and extremely powerful blasts of magical pink light until your target sees the validity of your viewpoint.
Jun 5, 2017 1:14 AM

Jul 2015
I was expecting a romance-drama which may or may not have some feels on it... and I got a much deeper story and maybe even more complex than what regular spectators got.

Guilt feelings, ostracism, bullying, hypocrisy, dangerous social-anxiety, suicidal thoughts/acts...
Forgiveness, acceptance, selfless care, kindness... redemption...

Pretty well done script; amazing art (KyoAni though, so that's normal); characters with believable actions in the rotten world we live on; Saori Hayami has a 10th dan black belt in seiyuu arts; and most importantly, touching in a non-cliché way,
There were some minor flaws, like Kawai not getting a brutal slap to her hypocritical face or Ueno not getting impaled and burned... but... well.

I'm not sure if the scene when Nagatsuka finds Ishida hiding in the bath really intended to be funny, if it tried to, it failed miserably... because my eyes started getting wet and I just wanted to thank that weird-haired guy...
Ishida's feelings through the end resembled my own in some dark times of my life... I almost started watering, but was watching the movie with my imouto, so I had to endure the pain like the brutal alpha male I am. :v
:'(
Shouko's heart is made of the purest gold, had some vibes of Clannad's Nagisa.
Apollo_MadaoJun 5, 2017 1:19 AM
I'll fade away and classify myself as obsolete!
Obsolete!!
Jun 7, 2017 9:33 PM

May 2013
I was anticipating this movie quite a lot. Didn't expect it to be so serious and real. I thought it was going to be a lighthearted story where the guy bullies the girl and then once they grow up, he loves her.

But THIS. This was pretty realistic, I have to say. And very emotional. I did enjoy it, however there were some parts of the movie where I did not understand the character's emotions and reactions towards certain things so I was confused.

Maybe I'll watch it again and it'll be more clear to me. I liked Kimi no Na Wa better the second time around. Will update this again later if I do rewatch.
7/10
Jun 8, 2017 4:39 AM
Jan 2016
THIS MOVIE IS A MASTERPIECE TRULY A MASTERPIECE WOOOOOOOOW
ANIMATION SOUNDTRACK CHARACTERS PLOT WERE ALL AT POINT
FANTASTIC JOB KYOTO ANIMATION
Every one should watch this movie at least once in their life
The ending scene is so amazing It made me cry with this amazing soundtrack
I loved all the characters except Ueno and Kawai
Nagatsuka is friend goal WE ALL NEED A FRIEND LIKE HIM IN OUR LIFE
Yuzuru is so cute MOST PROTECTED AT ANY COST
The development of Ishida is the best development I ever watched This guy needs a hug just like Nishimiya she did her best
People complain that this movie lacks romance but in my opinion if the movie had romance all the message of the movie will be meaningless so it's best like that
The ending scene has so much meaning Ishida finally opened up to his society after his anxiety and struggle That makes me so happy and sad at the same time
This movie bring back the true beauty of anime
10/10 FAVE MOVIE EVER WAY BETTER THAN KIMI NO NA WA
Jun 9, 2017 6:28 PM
Apr 2017
I can't believe something only two hours long actually made me tear up! I don't show emotion often let alone cry. I've only teared up for a few anime and this one made me tear up the most out of all of them. I can really relate to this anime because I too have experienced most of the things that the MC has experienced and still am. I have a few friends but I'm always lonely and self conscious. I have severe depression but I'm good at hiding it so no one knows, not even my parents. On the outside I seem like a psychopath and I don't think I've ever cried in front of anyone from what I can remember. I'm not at the point of suicide but I probably would be if I hadn't discovered anime. There are just so many people in this community I can relate to and it just warms my heart ❤️ I give this anime a 10/10 and it will always be with me❤️
Jun 9, 2017 7:05 PM

Jul 2010
Just finished the movie.
All i can say is that i liked it and go fuck yourself Ueno.
8/10
Jun 10, 2017 12:23 AM

Dec 2009
Watched the movie. Don't get all the hype. Art is good and all but story is so bad it was difficult to watch in one sitting. It felt like story was just moving in circles.
Jun 10, 2017 4:02 AM

Jul 2014
What a beautiful and sad movie. I feel sad for the both MC that they are got a dark past and both tried to suicide, BTW beautiful art, story and music, i give it 9/10.
Jun 10, 2017 12:09 PM

Oct 2015
Just finished it. At the beginning I could really feel sad for them, how things work out. Later the story got confusing, and didn't really made sense for me. I understand people might try to commit suicide for various reasons, and the characters all were at that age when they go through changes. I haven't read the manga, but many times I found the story bizarre, or as if it had plotholes.

Many times characters acted way too weird. For example Ishida sold every single thing from his room, even his bed. Who the hell would do that, and what kind of mother would allow that to happen? They didn't even get a new one afterwards. Also when she found out he tried to commit suicide she didn't ask anything, just threatened him to burn the money.
There are many other things that bothered me, and I'm sure I am not the only one.

It's a 8/10 for me.
Jun 11, 2017 1:59 PM

Dec 2014
It was good, but it would had been better if instead of Musaigen no Phantom World they would had made a series for this one. It would take 24 episodes to properly adapt the manga, but even 12 episodes would had been better than a 2 hour movie. This seem to target those who already read the manga, and I can see ho tha pacing can be really confusing for those who didn't read it. For me it was, even tough I did read it, and found myself completing information from my memories many times. Many important elements had been brushed out and other where too fast paced. The motivation of the characters is lost, and that ruins character development. Why did Nishimya wanted to commint suicide? There was a whole motivation behind it, a whole sory, a subplot they brushed out. The struggle of her mother and the struggle of Yuzu - skipped. Without all those the story doesn't have even half of the impact it should have. This is Koen no Katachi Soft Core version. I remember how unconfortable I feelt when I read the Oneshoot. And how shity I feelt when I had to go trough the part with their elemental school time all over again, when the manga got serialized. I feelt nothing watching this.
It was a good movie, but I won't hide behind and emotional story and a good animation, and refuse to accept that it was a rather dissapointing adaptation.
KyoAni finally had the chance to make a drama that would overshadow Clannad. But they fucked up. It seem that they like to make moe series a little too much... Once again, a masterpice was adapted in an average series.

Is a 8/10 from me, and only because I like the manga too much, and because I was expecting this sort of adapttion, the moment I learned it will be a movie. I just hope that KyoAni will be wise enought to make a series too...
kronopyJun 11, 2017 2:12 PM
Jun 11, 2017 8:07 PM

May 2015
Beautiful movie, I even shed a manly tear, this really changed my vision of the world and made me appreciate life and the people I care of. Thank you Ooima-sensei.
Jun 12, 2017 6:30 PM

Mar 2016
It's skipped a lot of parts from the manga so it may be confusing sometimes..I think the manga is far better than this movie because it more detailed and so on.It could have been better as a 12 episodes tv series.It was okay,I guess? so I rated it 7/10.
Forum set made by Sereshay

Jun 13, 2017 5:48 PM

Dec 2013
Kittens-kun said:
You people wouldn't be calling it disappointing if you hadn't focused on the hpye so much.

Nah I would. I finished the manga once, watched the movie once in Japan, once when it aired in Indonesia and the last one was the day the BD arrived, so I can definitely say, I was slightly disappointed.
Jun 14, 2017 1:10 AM

Jul 2013
I waited so long and now I was finally able to watch it!

I think this movie perfectly captured the gist of the series. I was kind of surprised they cut the whole film-making part of the story but I'm glad they did to save time. I'm also glad it focused on the important interactions between Ishida and Nishimiya rather than getting lost in all the supporting characters complicating the story...it's better to keep things short and simple for a movie. I still like the manga more, but I still give this a 10. Perfect story and beautiful animation and it was conveyed very well! I actually like this movie ending more than the original manga ending as well, except for the fact that

I'm so happy *sniffle*
Jun 15, 2017 8:18 PM

Jun 2012
Fantastic movie, Kyoani animation was superb as always. I read the one shot manga of this so many years ago and was not a fan of it but this was amazing. Felt a bit rushed because only so much can be put into a 2 hour movie. Still managed to convey a ton of emotion. Have a strong urge to buy the manga now.

10/10

Shouko is cute as fuck too

Jun 17, 2017 4:25 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
fujiwara_ayano said:
It's skipped a lot of parts from the manga so it may be confusing sometimes..I think the manga is far better than this movie because it more detailed and so on.It could have been better as a 12 episodes tv series.It was okay,I guess? so I rated it 7/10.

I have to agree that the movie could have been better, IF it was a 12 episodes long series, but it would need to have the same production values the movie had to shine as much.
While I loved the movie, it missed stuff from the manga that I wanted to see, and that ending was not different, it just ended earlier and not showing certain stuff it could have adapted...
I didnt like where the manga ended, and since the movie ends even before it, not fleshing out the characters future after graduation, I really think they could have done a better job with it too, but it was decent enough to end the show, and still no kiss or confession...

If the sound and visuals, the whole execution werent as good as they are, I would have lowered the score... but these were amazing and helped alot conveying the emotion of the movie.

9.3/10

Jun 19, 2017 6:46 PM

Jun 2013
Beautiful.

Now I know there were various flaws that came with adapting 62 chapters of manga into a 2 hr movie. The side-characters weren't fleshed out, some dramatic moments weren't adequately built up to (Nishimiya's suicide attempt, I'm looking at you), and the character conflicts were quickly wrapped up in the end (or it went too fast for me to fully comprehend).

But really, any show that can sweep me up in an emotional roller coaster for the entire time and keep the tears running deserves an Oscar award. :) :')

I absolutely loved Shouya's character arc of social isolation, crushed self-esteem, depression, gradual recovery, etc. etc. etc. and etc.

Am currently still feeling the feels. Am unable to coherence. Absolutely loved it.
Jun 21, 2017 2:02 PM

Apr 2017
This was a legit masterpiece. It took me by surprise and I had to add to to my list of favorite anime.
Jun 21, 2017 4:10 PM

Jun 2015
This was a painful movie. I was crying from beginning to end. It especially hurt me when their grandmother died. It reminded me of my grandma.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jun 22, 2017 1:27 PM
Aug 2015
Guys, if you like this movie, if you give it a 8/10, 9/10, or 10/10( yes he dserves it), plz go read the manga, it's a MASTERPIECE. So much better in all points.
This movie is wonderfull, then imagine the manga. You will not regret it.
Jun 24, 2017 1:25 AM

Nov 2015
It's rare that a work of fiction ever brings me to the brink of tears. For that, I applaud this film.

9 outta 10
✧༝┉˚*❋ ❋*˚┉༝✧

鼻をくすぐるGunpowder & Smoke
ジャララ飛び交うEmpty gun cartridges
紅いヒールに見惚れて うっかり風穴欲しいヤツは 挙手をしな

・゚✧*:・゚✧ 🍰 ଘ(੭*ˊᵕˋ)੭* ੈ♡‧₊˚

✧༝┉˚*❋ ❋*˚┉༝✧

Pages (15) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Did you cry? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stacias - Aug 1, 2022

258 by kaycooo »»
Apr 20, 3:52 AM

» Ueno and miki (Spoiler)

Gilbertaxel17 - Jan 14

17 by Marianolove_55 »»
Mar 16, 9:39 AM

» Sharing Whispers with Shoko - Moments that Made Us Fee

Sad-Life - Dec 31, 2023

11 by Aryan422 »»
Jan 2, 9:21 AM

» What are your opinions on Tomohiro?

Aldanaonair - Dec 29, 2023

7 by Squatch70 »»
Dec 29, 2023 1:52 PM

» This is about loneliness

Soroush_07 - Dec 8, 2023

22 by Rohan_King »»
Dec 15, 2023 8:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.