Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 8, 2016 10:10 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah even though this episode had a dark mood, I thought it was still pretty fun especially with the added comedy. The part with "Yu" clashing with that kid is my favorite part of the episode, funny yet also has strong feelings of friendship.

Road was amusing to watch with Allen as she tries to remind him who he is. I think they also did the pain scene pretty well, takes talent for the VA to portray screams like that.
Aug 8, 2016 10:24 AM
Jul 2016
The pacing was faster than the previous episode, some scenes got cut here and there but overall it didn't change much. Important scenes are acceptable

I don't really like the way they choose the current Kanda as narrator though
ItNeverEnds14Aug 8, 2016 10:32 AM
Aug 8, 2016 1:26 PM

Jun 2015
I've read the manga, I dont know how many times, but if the episode hadnt ended where it did, I was going to start crying :'( Guess the tears are going to be reserved for next week ( ≧Д≦)
Damn this arc never fails to make me mad at the order!!! (╬⓪益⓪)
Loved the episode!!!
Aug 8, 2016 1:26 PM

Jan 2012
I think it was a nice episode. The voice acting (Allen and Road) during Kanda's scene when he was being put to sleep felt quite underwhelming though.
Aug 8, 2016 1:38 PM

Jun 2009
awesome episode hited me the same as the manga did at this point great ost and seiyuus that delivered it amazingly
Aug 8, 2016 1:40 PM

Sep 2013
This episode was both comedic and dark. Very few series can do an above average episode with those two tones mixed into one and D. Gray-Man is one of those series.

I do love that when Kanda was born into the 2nd Exorcist Project that he was gloomy as soon as he came out. Here I thought the current Kanda is the way he is because of his childhood, which is also true, but I just thought it was funny that he came into this world with the loner persona. The dynamic between Alma and Kanda works really well and balances the mood a bit. Not sure if they are the same voice actors but Kid Kanda's screams were on point and sounded like he was in legitimate pain.

Pretty fucked up past both Alma and Kanda had. Makes you think what lengths The Order will go to win the war against The Earl.

I also found it pretty funny that I wanted to see Kanda's past for years and finally get it only to want to see what his previous life is like as well.

Aug 8, 2016 2:10 PM

Jan 2016
This feelt more like a d.gray man episode then the previous ones. Great comedy mixed with darkness. The voice acting was superb and the animation was decent!

Overall very enjoyable!
Aug 8, 2016 2:29 PM
Jun 2014
paceing was fine good episode
Aug 8, 2016 4:26 PM

Aug 2014
Well this has to be one of the best episodes so far, really nice mix of comedy and seriousness.
Aug 8, 2016 4:29 PM

Jul 2013
Good episode. They adapted the manga perfectly this time (I think). Though I found the flashback more emotive in the manga, they managed to animate the relationship between Alma and Yuu well, as well as the tragedy and horror under the Second Exorcist program.

Next episode is when things will became ugly...

Btw, after analyzing the opening, I'm now sure the anime will end during
Aug 8, 2016 4:38 PM

Feb 2013
Painful episode with all those experiments.
Aug 8, 2016 4:59 PM

Jan 2013
I always figured Yu had some sort of really dark past watching D.Grayman but I never though It was like this
Aug 8, 2016 5:25 PM
Nov 2012
Holy shit Road is 2 cute x)
Aug 8, 2016 5:56 PM

May 2015
This episode was amazing!!!! I have gained hope for this series again as I was left with disappointment from episode 3 and 4! Like what many have already said so far great pacing, animation, voice-acting!!!! I absolutely love how fluid the episode was and the ending gave me all the feels D: I remember reading this arc and being absolutely lost and confused but I love how the studio implemented Kanda's flashbacks into the episode and to me it felt like the explanation of the second exorcist project was easier to understand and I wasn't left confused in the end ! Those 20 minutes went by too damn fast! Why can't the next episode be out already!?!?

5/5
Aug 8, 2016 7:09 PM
Jul 2018
Ep was nice, a good balance between the dark side of the black order and the relation between kanda and alma
Aug 8, 2016 7:15 PM

Dec 2014
Excellent episode, Started out kinda fun with Alma and Yu's interactions but became real dark towards the end.

Those experiments were cruel, Poor Kanda and Yu. The order are really taking advantage of their regenerative abilities.
Wonder what kind of past Kanda had before he got roped into the experiment.

From Kanda's laughter while tied down to Alma calling them monsters, The Order is just really messed up, What kind of lengths are they willing to go in order to destroy the Earl? Sometimes I think the Earl is the nicer guy XD

Also Road is cute :3
Aug 8, 2016 7:19 PM
Apr 2014
best episode so far. I teared up watching it cause i know what happens next. Would've cried if the episode didn't end there.

Road's high pitched voice kinda put me off a bit
Aug 8, 2016 7:27 PM

May 2015
Best episode till now!

[アウサマ95]
Aug 8, 2016 9:23 PM

Oct 2011
wow omg alma!!!
nooooooo
Aug 8, 2016 10:57 PM

Jun 2013
that ost at the start was awesome and damn those experiments were cruel the order are heartless
Aug 9, 2016 12:01 AM

Dec 2014
A great episode! It was funny yet dark and tragic. The experiments were clearly painful too. Out of all the scientists of the Asian branch I find Edgar the least despicable (so far); and that old man Zu the most annoying. Tsk!

But really, the order doesn't hold back with their experiments huh. Tsk3. Anything to win the war I guess. :(
Aug 9, 2016 12:03 AM
Jan 2016
Lelouch0202 said:
From Kanda's laughter while tied down to Alma calling them monsters, The Order is just really messed up, What kind of lengths are they willing to go in order to destroy the Earl? Sometimes I think the Earl is the nicer guy XD

Considering the fact that the Order tries to stop Earl from wiping out humanity, I would say it's justified. Doesn't make the experiments any less horrible though.
Aug 9, 2016 3:29 AM

Aug 2010
Amazing episode, I really loved it :)
Aug 9, 2016 3:32 AM

Jul 2012
Pretty good episode! Nice to hear the old OST. It's progressing quite fast so i assume that we might see the next mini-arc.
Aug 9, 2016 6:24 AM

Jun 2015
LuzuNatalia said:
and that old man Zu the most annoying. Tsk!

But really, the order doesn't hold back with their experiments huh. Tsk3. Anything to win the war I guess. :(

Are you talking about that old man from this ep? If so he is not old man Zu, I think he is an Epstein, maybe Renny's grandfather.
Also agree with you, they are willing to do anything in order to win...
Aug 9, 2016 9:09 AM
Jan 2016
Illyricus said:
Good episode. They adapted the manga perfectly this time (I think). Though I found the flashback more emotive in the manga, they managed to animate the relationship between Alma and Yuu well, as well as the tragedy and horror under the Second Exorcist program.

I hope to see every bit of the manga getting animated :'( Hoshino-san ganbatte!
Aug 9, 2016 10:14 AM

Jul 2013
Ginnnn said:
Illyricus said:

I think the same. Though I doubt we will have a sequel at the pace Hoshino publish the chapters :(
Aug 9, 2016 12:16 PM

Mar 2015
Great episode, chapters 190-192 well adapted
poticardoAug 15, 2016 2:41 PM
Aug 9, 2016 4:47 PM

Oct 2012
Mmmm since way back in the day of the original series and manga stuff I'd been advocation for Lenalee x Allen just a bit more than Road x Allen, despite me liking Road more. It was just that we saw a lot more of Lenalee so I got to like her more I guess.

That all changed this ep, Road x Allen has risen above and beyond despite some questionable voice acting at times

Kanda and Alma's memories were definitely depressing and frankly it was pretty tough to watch the revelation of their true origins

Really need next ep now
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Aug 9, 2016 7:39 PM
Jan 2016
Illyricus said:
Ginnnn said:

I think the same. Though I doubt we will have a sequel at the pace Hoshino publish the chapters :(

Ah about the sequel, what I heard is, if the series is successful, we will get another one next year. They will make DGM a summer anime.
Aug 9, 2016 9:05 PM

Oct 2008
This episode Kanda & Alma's memories were explored...LOL cute Road.
4/5.

Aug 9, 2016 9:33 PM

Sep 2011
Ginnnn said:
Illyricus said:

Ah about the sequel, what I heard is, if the series is successful, we will get another one next year. They will make DGM a summer anime.
Source = ? Otherwise it's just rumors.
Aug 10, 2016 1:09 AM

Dec 2013
Really liking this flashback!
Aug 10, 2016 5:31 AM

Sep 2014
Next week will bring nothing but pain. This week brought nothing but pain because I know what's coming.

These past few episodes have been amazing, after we got past that so-so Timothy arc :)

I hope the rumors about a S2 are true, but I'm pretty sure there's not enough manga content yet.
Aug 10, 2016 9:22 AM
Jul 2016
Well, I'm not really sure about Hallow S2. The manga is still ongoing, after all but quite slowly (4 chapters per year). Yet the current manga arc is the same Hallow is quite likely going to finish at, so until manga is finished with it (either jumping to a new one or ending at it completely), there's a little chance the chapters from it would be animated.
Aug 10, 2016 11:21 AM

May 2010
ugh... i really cringe every time i hear road's new voice. horrible.
also i dont like the way the noah clothes look, i preferred the old-times style before.

i love the d.grey-man story but the new art syle and voice are projectile vomit inducing.
Aug 10, 2016 3:07 PM
Jun 2014
I hate to give a perfect score, since nothing is perfect. However, the different emotions in this episode made me quiet impressed. I thought it would be abit hard to animate this, since u can fill the manga chapters with ur own imagination to suit ur own taste. However, this episode did it really well. I just need to praise them, hence I'm giving it a perfect score(something they won't deserve if I look at it objectively. My personal emotion is mainly influencing this score hehe).
Aug 10, 2016 6:33 PM

Aug 2014
Slaughter them all Alma...

My favourite episode so far.
Aug 10, 2016 8:14 PM

Oct 2013
Inb4 Road starts to try & coerce Allen to their side or something(not that it'd happen) but damn, that's some disturbing unexpected past Kanda had there. Also, really liking the fact that he's actually receiving some proper background which he didn't in like, 103 eps of the 1st season. All we know about him back then was that he was a much less developed version of "the serious rival" archtype character of a shounen anime, who's main traits were being kinda angry(or no non-sense type of guy, take it as u will) and kinda badasss.
Aug 10, 2016 8:36 PM

Jan 2014
This has to be the best episode. I was so absorbed with what was happnening that, like Allen, I was only snapped out of it when Road reappeared. Man, I always hated the Order and wish it wasn't controlled by the worst people imaginable... Even the Noahs care more about each other than these pathetic excuses of the human race. I just met Alma but he's definitely one of my favorite characters now. He's so adorable and the scenes where him and Kanda were tortured was really hard to watch. I can already tell the tears will be flowing next episode.
JotakakAug 10, 2016 8:47 PM
Aug 10, 2016 8:39 PM

Dec 2009
God this was an amazing episode, if people were having doubts about Hallow this should dispel that fear because this was a fantastic adaptation of Kanda's backstory, him and Alma were so cute as kids. Really fuck the Order and their corrupt bullshit so hard. Really hope we get another season of D.Gray-man after this, this is just too good to end after this arc.
Aug 10, 2016 11:36 PM
Oct 2012
All i can say is, Finally... the first couple episodes where rushing it. but finally the pacing matches the whats happening in the story.... man, who thought 13 episodes would of been enough? its finally getting interesting.
Aug 11, 2016 7:03 PM

Apr 2009
Well that was interesting...Kanda was already an exorcist way back in his past life, or maybe that was somebody else's memory? Then there's that girl/woman Kanda keep seeing in his memories? And why is Road helping Allen? Questions and even more questions, answers all in due time I guess.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Aug 11, 2016 7:47 PM
Jun 2014
tofei said:
Well that was interesting...Kanda was already an exorcist way back in his past life, or maybe that was somebody else's memory? Then there's that girl/woman Kanda keep seeing in his memories? And why is Road helping Allen? Questions and even more questions, answers all in due time I guess.

It was Kanda's memory. Back when he was a real human being instead of an artificial one. That woman Kanda sees was his lover(when he was a real human). Don't want to spoil why Kanda sees that woman everytime though. So I will just say: Be prepared.
Aug 11, 2016 10:34 PM
Jul 2016
tofei said:
Well that was interesting...Kanda was already an exorcist way back in his past life, or maybe that was somebody else's memory? Then there's that girl/woman Kanda keep seeing in his memories?

I don't want to spoil so here are your hints

Aug 12, 2016 10:05 AM

Jan 2009
Pretty cool episode. Kanda and Alma past reveal with the secret behind the 2nd apostle project.
Love the interaction between Kanda and Alma. Love Alma VA for doing a wonderful job.
They did a nice job in adapting the episode, with only some minor part been skip. The pacing is pretty stable for the past 2 episodes imo. As expected, the quality also improved as each new episode release. Hoping the quality improve throughout the rest of the episodes.

And Allen still got easily get lost. :p

For people info,

Judging from the preview, it seems the anime will include some original scene for manga chapter 193.

Kryptiq said:
Slaughter them all Alma...

My favourite episode so far.

Aug 13, 2016 3:39 AM

Oct 2009
Best episode so far, finally felt a bit more like the original anime :)

Also Road <3!
Aug 13, 2016 5:03 AM
Aug 2016
Good episode finally we know about yu's past , after his fight with noah wrath i wanted to know his secret to immortality . Sell now i know
Aug 13, 2016 5:45 PM

Dec 2011
And that reveals the darkness of the Order, and how twisted that Old Man Zu in the past. Seems the present him deeply regret what he has done.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 13, 2016 6:01 PM
Jul 2016
Fiji said:
And that reveals the darkness of the Order, and how twisted that Old Man Zu in the past. Seems the present him deeply regret what he has done.

That was the head of Epstein clan.
Zhu, even though he was also a part of the clan, worked as the branch's chef.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2016

131 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 2:05 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 12, 2016

64 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 1:12 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 29, 2016

82 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 12:26 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 22, 2016

71 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 12:06 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 4, 2016

359 by iamnameers »»
Dec 21, 2023 10:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.