Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 4, 2016 10:00 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Looks like they're skipping quite a lot of content with rearraging. Not surprised considering the time gap I guess..

OP song is nice especially with the choreography. Something that does worries me a bit is the pacing here considering anime original content. Meanwhile, episode did a nice job at reintroducing the characters like Allen, Lenalee, etc. The comedy seems somewhat less compared to what I remember from the original. I think it's a good start so far, not extraordinary but definitely has a nice D Graymanish feel to it. ED theme song is nice.
Stark700Jul 4, 2016 11:18 AM
Jul 4, 2016 10:02 AM

Sep 2011
165-168 Adapted. Pacing was just fine. Lenalee's voice does not fit her at all. Kanda's voice is okay but I like his previous one better. OP + ED Was good and fit the show well IMO. Cross Marian Arc and that bloody cliffhanger!

Some of the events got rearranged, but I think it's fine...
TyrelJul 4, 2016 10:06 AM
Jul 4, 2016 10:07 AM

Dec 2015
I knew we were going to cliff-hang there as soon as I heard the anime was coming back. lol

Lenalee, Lavi, and Cross' voices are a bit too high-pitched. But I guess anyone voice sounds high compared to Hiroki Touchi.

Anyhow, episode seemed quite nice. Art wasn't too bad. But need to wait until it's uploaded online with better quality. Though that may not be until tomorrow sometime. Doesn't seem like they skipped to much, aside from the Zombi arc lol But from 165-168 seems just about everything was included and then some.
Jul 4, 2016 10:59 AM

Jan 2015
I'm waiting to watch rn. Did they really skip the "Destruction of the Black Order" arc? i_i

lol it's like "hey you see, we've just got ourselves new headquarters. it's a long story, friend." xD but then... 13 episodes...
Jul 4, 2016 11:13 AM

Sep 2011
neko_cola said:
I'm waiting to watch rn. Did they really skip the "Destruction of the Black Order" arc? i_i

lol it's like "hey you see, we've just got ourselves new headquarters. it's a long story, friend." xD but then... 13 episodes...
Yeah, they went straight to Cross Marian and only showed small bits (Recaps, I think of what happened?). They were less than a minute long or so.
Jul 4, 2016 11:15 AM

Jun 2009
dont know what to think of it soo far i was soo used too the old voices loved them alot better specially the main cast sakurai = Kanda forever

also the old ops eds hitted the spot alot more
Jul 4, 2016 11:20 AM

Sep 2013
What a great return from a series that went on a hiatus for nearly 8 years. The art is great as always and the animation is fluid. The beginning battle sequence was done beautifully. I have high hopes for this season considering whats to come with Kanda. The Opening song was great and the video was done very well. The ending song is kinda average though but the visuals were pretty good. I do love that the OST is top notch. Kanda's Mugan Activation theme has always been my favorite.

My only complaints are:
-Kanda's lightning is green now, before it was blue.
-Miranda looks completely different. The bags under her eyes are gone, her eyeliner is toned down greatly and her hair is a lighter brown rather than dark brown.
-The voice acting doesn't really fit some of the characters too well. Lenalee and Lavi sounds too high pitched. Kanda and Allen was fine. I guess I should get use to these new cast. Getting the previous cast all together again is completely unrealistic.

As for the Destruction of Black Order Arc being skipped, I'm fine with that. I wasn't a big fan of it back then considering how silly it was. They could use that as an OVA in the future at least. THANK GOD Johnny's voice is different. Every time he talked in the previous series, I wanted to bash his brains in.

I just NOW noticed that the Destruction of the Black Order Arc was in one of Lavi's flashbacks during the OP.
TehSnawnJul 4, 2016 12:04 PM

Jul 4, 2016 11:33 AM
Oct 2014
These new character designs and voice actors are freaking me out while I watch the episode.

I agree with the above, Lavi and Lenalee are the worst, but I just can't get the original voice actors out of my head and comparing the new ones negatively against them.

Must say I am not a fan of the changes, not at all, the skipped content and rushed pacing was also off-putting.
HikariGoJul 4, 2016 11:39 AM
Jul 4, 2016 11:38 AM

May 2011
- The voice acting is the worse , I'm really disappointed
- Miranda look like a completely different person
- Every time Allen talks hinata comes to my mind

Advice : If you only watched the anime I advise to go and read the manga better than this
Jul 4, 2016 11:40 AM

Jul 2007
Pacing is just okay so far. Thankfully they did not stuff the whole Cross arc into single episode, so they might go with the pacing I guessed (rushing the less important arc after this and adapting cross and the next important arc in decent pacing).

Animation wise the episode was okay. Some shaky moments and clearly budget-saving scenes, but the character animation and everything remained consistent. Lets be frank - this is clearly not running on that high of a budget and it shows. One bigger problem at least for me is that the color scheme was waaaaay too saturated.

The VAs did the job nicely. Lenalee sounded a bit different, but I think it still fits the character well. Allen, Lavi, etc are perfect.

OP is absolutely not fitting though. Not enough Allen angst, way too many stills, way too happy of a song. I expected something darker. ED is fine tho and fits the show. Makes me worry on how much they plan to cover tho considering some scenes there.

4/5

neko_cola said:

Destruction arc is not exactly canon. Its in-manga filler.
AhenshihaelJul 4, 2016 11:44 AM
Jul 4, 2016 11:46 AM

Sep 2011
@Fai

Thoughts on ED? I can't tell if it was contexting Allen + Mana, but I think it was? || Kanda as well.
TyrelJul 4, 2016 11:51 AM
Jul 4, 2016 11:57 AM

Jul 2007
Tyrel said:
@Fai

Thoughts on ED? I can't tell if it was contexting Allen + Mana, but I think it was? || Kanda as well.

The ed seemed to be mostly Kanda stuff, focused around that story arc. Don't think there was any real Allen stuff there. Certain scenes might SEEM like that but they are not.

Which is why I literally have no idea why they added Lenalee, Lavi and Bookman in it. It seems like they just wanted to add them there for sake of being there. Allen makes sense there, everyone else does not really.It really feels like they wanted to do an Ed that would fit all the arcs they are covering, which ended up making certain parts thematically weird.

If anything it kind of makes it very clear that THAT story arc is pretty much sole reason Hallow exists and everything before that might just be treated as "stuff you need to get out of the way to reach it".
AhenshihaelJul 4, 2016 12:01 PM
Jul 4, 2016 11:58 AM

Jul 2014
Man, I am not digging the new voices. Almost all of them sucked. Lenalee, Lavi, and Crowley do not fit the characters well. Kanda could have been a bit better. Miranda sounds a little bit too mature for me compared to her old voice.

Voices may not really matter for an anime, but they do for me. Really hard to sit through and watch the episode with unfitting voices.
Jul 4, 2016 12:01 PM

Jul 2014
Juvenile shit. Characters are ridiculous, fights are awful. Script was made for 8 year olds. Painful.
Jul 4, 2016 12:04 PM

Sep 2011
Sokah said:
Juvenile shit. Characters are ridiculous, fights are awful. Script was made for 8 year olds. Painful.
>Watched 1 episode of S1 and you come into this season and criticize it. You wut, m8?
Jul 4, 2016 12:04 PM

May 2010
the original has more filler episodes than this one has episodes total lol.
cant watch this since i never finished the original.
Jul 4, 2016 12:08 PM

Aug 2011
Liked the episode but i need to go back and read the manga cuz i don't remember a lot of stuff.
A bit disappointed with the new voice cast.
Jul 4, 2016 12:10 PM

Sep 2014
I don't like the new art style
Lenalee and Miranda changed entirely, and everyone else looks slightly ridiculous; I wish they'd kept the art style from before. Then again, it has been 8 years I guess.
Jul 4, 2016 12:11 PM

Aug 2014
Man, I have to say that I was a bit disappointed. Not unexpected since they'll have to put so much into 13 episodes, just have a feeling this will be too hurried compared to the manga.

Jul 4, 2016 12:14 PM

Sep 2008
It hurts...
It hurts so much...
Is kinda amazing how change of seiyuu can be such heartbreaking...
This is such let down...

These isn't these characters I fallen in love! ;(
I knew there will be new seiyuu, but I still have in mind first voices... ;(
Jul 4, 2016 12:16 PM

May 2010
LittleStar said:
It hurts...
It hurts so much...
Is kinda amazing how change of seiyuu can be such heartbreaking...
This is such let down...

These isn't these characters I fallen in love! ;(
I knew there will be new seiyuu, but I still have in mind first voices... ;(

ME: Replacement voice actors STAT!!!
Jul 4, 2016 12:17 PM
Dec 2014
I thought it was a good adaptation honestly. Pacing was ok and all. Hopefully the important fight scenes will be done well and those at the start were just there to save budget. I really want them to nail this arc as it was my favorite in the manga.

I didn't like the opening at all really. The song didn't fit and i hoped it would be more focused on kanda like the ending since well, this arc will be centered on him soo yeah. And well you can tell that the budget really isn't that high as they saved a lot on the opening aswell (though i don't remember S1 being much better on that). Ah well.

edit: also thankfully it's been so long since i saw S1 that i don't even remember the old voices so the new ones don't even bother me lol.
Jul 4, 2016 12:19 PM

Jan 2012
Hmm I'm okay with the new art style except for Miranda... she looked so much better in her old character design >< Even in the manga I don't remember her being changed so much...
I wish they kept Sakurai Takahiro for Kanda too ;( He sounded more epic and pissed off ^^"

I felt the scene where Allen headbutted Tim to hit Cross was a bit underwhelming compared to the manga... it felt much funnier in the manga oO

I also felt that something was off about the pacing... dunno exactly what :s might be cause they skipped a few stuffs...
Jul 4, 2016 12:23 PM
Jul 2018
I'm pretty happy with this episode. The voices will take some getting used to, some are a bit too high pitched, especially Lavi, but there are some that seem really good, like Kanda for exapmle. Bookman's voice is great too.

All in all, looks promising so far.
Jul 4, 2016 12:25 PM

Jul 2016
Solid first ep, don't mind the change in VA's but I can understand why some would be pissed off.
Jul 4, 2016 12:30 PM
Jun 2014
VA were ok tbh, it just needs some time to get used to them.
Jul 4, 2016 12:31 PM

Sep 2013
Is anyone else as disappointed as I am when Kanda didn't call Allen Moyashi(Bean Sprout)?

Jul 4, 2016 12:32 PM

Sep 2013
Tyrel said:
Sokah said:
>Watched 1 episode of S1 and you come into this season and criticize it. You wut, m8?

SKP138 Likes Tyrel's comment

Jul 4, 2016 12:32 PM
Sep 2015
I liked this first episode. Nice opening and ending, and it feels like the osts remain the same, or are slightly different. I'm not surprised that they skipped the "Destruction of the Black Order" beacuse of the time gap. But I'm a bit disappointed with the characters. I don't know what is it, but I'm not convinced at all. Anyway, it's exciting to see D.Gray-man back.
Jul 4, 2016 12:34 PM

Jul 2014
I like the new artstyle and the uncensored gore. It's a nice change.

The only thing that I didn't like is that they changed the VA's of Allen & Lavi. At least in Lavi's case his voice doesn't fit how he looks.

Other than that I really liked the first episode and that cliffhanger was quite brutal.
Jul 4, 2016 12:34 PM

Sep 2014
SKP138 said:
Is anyone else as disappointed as I am when Kanda didn't call Allen Moyashi(Bean Sprout)?

He did, just after Allen asked salvation to be brought to the Akuma he had just killed. (about 3 minutes in, on the version I watched)
Jul 4, 2016 12:36 PM

Sep 2013
Shanayaaa said:
SKP138 said:

He did, just after Allen asked salvation to be brought to the Akuma he had just killed. (about 3 minutes in, on the version I watched)

Oh shit he did. Thanks for that. My bad!

Jul 4, 2016 12:36 PM

Jan 2011
The art was pretty nice. Have to get used to the new voices though. I'll probably get used to them after a few episodes.

I'm pretty pissed about Miranda. What did they do to her? I really liked her in the previous anime. I almost didn't recognize her at first, only because of her Innocence I knew. She feels really average and 'moe' to me right now.

Was a little confused during this episode. I forgot quite a bit of the story it seems. Maybe i'll rewatch the 2008 series
Jul 4, 2016 12:39 PM

Jul 2010
Man, they could atleast have picked some VA's the sounds like they fit the characters, these really don't....well maybe just Kanda but none of the else.
Jul 4, 2016 12:45 PM
Jun 2016
Even though they skipped the zombie arc I felt like it was a great episode. The reintroducing of the characters and the rearrangements of some plot points were well handled, and the pacing was pretty good too. The only problem I have with it is that Lavi's VA does not fit him at all. But otherwise I'm loving it so far.
Jul 4, 2016 12:46 PM
Nov 2015
Good lord I am never going to get used to these new voices.
Jul 4, 2016 12:53 PM

Jul 2014
The voices fucking suck. Whoever picked Natsuki for Lavi and Sugiyama for Crowley needs to reevaluate his life. Also, Kanda sounds like OnoD except he isn't OnoD.
Other than that, great episode.
Jul 4, 2016 12:54 PM

Dec 2014
That was a good start to the new season, Been a long time since I saw D.Gray Man.

It'll probably take a while for me to get used to the new voices. I don't really mind them though. Miranda looks weird to me, Not at all how I remmeber her.
Timcampy is still as awesome as I recall XD
My memory of this show is still pretty vague though, Started remembering more as the episode progressed, I'll probably have to reread the manga from the beginning for clarity.

Cross :o, Did he really die?
Jul 4, 2016 12:56 PM

Dec 2012
Hmm overall I liked the episode, only complaint is the super fast pacing which worries me. I don't feel like this is going to end well though, looks like they're going to cover till the end of the Alma Karma arc along with the 2 arcs before it all in 13 episodes 🙄, I just hope there's no anime only ending. So much for split cour though with the ending highlighting the Alma Karma arc. Opening and ending are pretty nice songs, stills pretty annoying but that's inevitable. Couldn't care less about the voices however, unless they were in english I would hardly notice any differences. Will be interesting to see how they roll out all of this content
I like anime.
Jul 4, 2016 1:00 PM

Nov 2013
Pacing was okay and i'm happy that the Cross arc isn't over yet.. It ended on a nice cliffhanger and so far i'm happy with what they do with my fav arc.

I think the VA's are okayish. Allen, Kanda etc fit the characters. (the old va's were better but not gonna cry because of that)
Lenalee sounded different, but i'm gonna get used to it.

What i don't like is how Miranda looks. Much better in the previous anime.
And that they skipped the silly zombie arc. xD
Jul 4, 2016 1:00 PM

Aug 2007
Oh how I miss Itou Shizuka.....
Jul 4, 2016 1:03 PM

Jan 2008
They'll probably bring out an OVA or something to cover the zombie arc I'm guessing. I'm just looking forward to the next episode!!
Jul 4, 2016 1:05 PM
Jun 2009
I don't understand people complaining about Miranda's change. She does look like that in the manga - [Vol 17, Chapter 169, Page 8, and even moore].

I'm not digging the new VAs that much. Allen seems okay, so does Kanda. But Lavi and Krory are way too high-pitched compared to the old ones. Holy damn, I loved Mitsuo Iwata as Arystar... He was paafecto. Cross' voice is OK, but I think it's not deep enough - he is an addict smoker and drinker, so that would make his voice sound deeper.

The opening... wasn't that bad, over all. But it doesn't match D.Gray-man. Ending was pretty nice, I liked it. But I must agree that they shouldn't have put Lavi, Lenalee and other Exorcists in it.

I hope that it will get better with next episodes.
Jul 4, 2016 1:07 PM

Aug 2008
okay i want allen voice back and lavi's omg and the new animation felt odd for me o.o lenalee face felt like i was watching a naruto filler so allen from time to time
all felt bit rushed though
The spider is watching
Jul 4, 2016 1:10 PM

Feb 2009
I had already prepared myself for the different voice actors so now I just need some time to get used to them. As for the art style, I personally love it, and any reader of the manga knows this style is actually closer to the way the manga is drawn, so I have no complaints there either.

I just hope this new season is popular enough to encourage them to make more! I've been waiting 8 years for 13 episodes!!!

Also, is anyone else missing the Abingdon School Boys' openings? I like the new opening but it was just so D. Gray Man to have them do the OPs. T_T I'll miss that for sure.
Jul 4, 2016 1:10 PM

Sep 2015
Geez, stop your whining people. Obviously it's not gonna look the same when all the staff is different. The new character design takes some time getting used to indeed. Personally, I'm simply happy just to get a new adaptation after so many years. I rewatched the first series a few weeks ago, it's still fresh in my memory, and in all honesty I think they did a damn good job casting the voice actors. And it really shows how much the voice actors worked to get into their roles and to make the characters sound recognisable. Especially when you consider that most of them are from a new generation of seiyū.
MakoJul 4, 2016 1:18 PM

Jul 4, 2016 1:15 PM

May 2010
SKP138 said:
Shanayaaa said:

Oh shit he did. Thanks for that. My bad!

Its not you its the high pitched seiyu voice acting. To me its not consistent. Just with Akuma speak good, ok and then pitchy.
Air-DragonJul 4, 2016 1:20 PM
Jul 4, 2016 1:25 PM

Mar 2008
Mixed feelings about all of this. All of VA are throwing me off especially Lavi VA, it is just terrible and painful to listen to him. Ironically when people told me that Allen VA is Hinata VA i said that i was totally ok with that and now i have realized that rest of the VA are changed too, ugh... I will need few more episodes to make my mind about this season definitely.
Jul 4, 2016 1:28 PM

Oct 2011
tbh Kanda voice sounds better
Jul 4, 2016 1:33 PM

Oct 2015
- Personally, I think the VAs are pretty okay.
- The OP wasn't that good, but I liked the ED, just like many previous endings.
- About character design change, it'll take some time to get used to. They changed Lenalee's whole appearance, but I don't mind at all.

Overall, they've done a decent job.
Hisoka said:
True love is finding someone whose demons play well with yours.
Illumi said:
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2016

131 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 2:05 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 12, 2016

64 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 1:12 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 29, 2016

82 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 12:26 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 22, 2016

71 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 12:06 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 18, 2016

79 by Choostopher »»
Nov 6, 2023 10:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.