Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 13, 2013 3:56 AM

Feb 2012
Kyoani, forever trolling the Haruhi MAL forums by forcing people to get episodes mixed up in the discussions >.>
Dec 17, 2013 7:32 PM

Jan 2011
Remote Island Part 1 - Why was Haruhi hesitating when she arrived at the floor with the masters room? Koizumi has never been at the island, or at least in the manor before either (unless he is lying ofc), so for him to know where the masters room is the butler must have explained it, so Haruhi should have known too.

The others might have only followed Koizumi, though they seemed quite certain where to go, too, as no one even wasted a single moment to look the other direction like "was it left or right again?" despite them being quite a bit behind him.

Did it not look suspicious enough for her expectations, like an open window, noises from one of the rooms, doors flapping or whatever?
Dec 28, 2013 7:55 PM

Mar 2012
That scene was perfect with the glowing giant in the background when they kissed as well as the opera music.
Haruhi felt the world was boring before but only created this after seeing Kyon playing around with Mikuru. Didn't seem to catch this the last time.
Apr 28, 2014 12:35 AM

Jan 2014
> 2009 broadcast order: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part Six <
This episode was originally the ending episode of the first season and
I am confused about the four different orders as well... What was the
purpose of this all? Maybe to draw attention? Hmm... ✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿

However, that kiss was super cute ≧❀‿❀≦ Awwww ★⌒☆★⌒☆★⌒☆
I just kinda had a strange feeling that he did that only for himself, to
get out of that world, which was therefore really selfish and a minus
for him, ಠ_ಠ although I actually liked him by now. But the ending made
up for the previous action. 。◕ ‿ ◕。 I mean him telling her (◡‿◡✿) that
the ponytail ≖‿≖ looked good on her ... ヘ(^_^ヘ)~ (─‿‿─) Kawaii^
Aug 29, 2014 3:40 AM

Oct 2013
fml I can't even go to these threads without getting spoilers

Anyway, the random insert of mystery into what was previously a (mostly) ordinary slice of life series is pretty awesome. I didn't actually expect to see anybody be murdered in a slice of life like this.
ZadionAug 29, 2014 4:34 AM

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 2, 2014 11:18 AM

Dec 2013
Nice episode, my favourite so far.
Nov 12, 2014 3:06 AM

Oct 2013
sooooo good
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Nov 24, 2014 8:09 PM

Jan 2014
wait what people actually die in this anime? LOL
Dec 6, 2014 6:36 AM

Jan 2012
attack on giant.xd

Jan 13, 2015 4:35 AM

Mar 2013
I'm watching this series in order... it's kinda strange, but it finally makes sense, lol.
Apr 12, 2015 5:00 AM

Oct 2009
Ahh she ended up with a ponytail that's so cute.
Sep 20, 2015 5:10 PM

Mar 2014
Love how the music plays before the ending. Also that kiss xD
Haruhi showing up the next day in a ponytail was a cute moment between them.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Jan 25, 2016 11:08 PM

May 2011
Haven't watched it since it aired 10 years ago. Now that I'm back to watching it, I find that Kyon's commentary and tsukkomis are so entertaining. Probably because I understand manzai comedy after years of watching anime.
Feb 14, 2016 4:35 AM

Jan 2013
[Watching in broadcast order]

Hmm weird shot of Haruhi when she mentions a culprit.

Oh damn ... Keichi has actually been stabbed, didnt expect murder to be in this show.
May 22, 2016 10:10 PM

Mar 2015
The 1st half was confusing but after they kissed, it went brilliant. Its like Yuki, Mikuru and Itsuki supported so-called God to create a world in a good way. Now they support Kyon X Haruhi but I want Kyon X Mikuru :(
Any little things that happen around Haruhi can affect the world.

By the way, I started to like the OP song.

Pony tail scene is hnnngggghhh!!!!

4.7/5
Oct 23, 2016 10:42 AM

Jan 2015
Kyon thinks about the things that happened and why it had to be him all these things happened to? :3
I <3 this quote with the music playing especially at the end:
"Why have I been dragged into this bizarre mess? I'm a 100% genuine... ordinary high school student. No special powers or anything. Who came up with this scenario? Was it you, Haruhi?

Haruhi is rather in a bad mood and the day in the club was rather ordinary but at the same time it was not ordinary compared to all the things that happened to Kyon until now :3

Koizumi-kun, Nagato & Asahina-san is informing Kyon that Haruhi has given up on the world and it will be changed according to Haruhis wishes :3

Kyon doesn't accept the new world of Haruhi and wishes to return to the old world, Haruhi is confused where Kyon thinks to himself, what does Haruhi mean to him?
In the end he says to Haruhi girls with ponytails turns him on and kisses her after that, changing everything :3

Everyone is happy for their return and Kyon accepts this world and Haruhi, where in the end he thinks about everything that have happened and the things to come :3

I love this Anime so much >w<
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Aug 10, 2017 1:45 AM

Jul 2008
LMAO, Kyon saves the world with a kiss.
Sep 16, 2017 7:26 PM

Sep 2013
This felt like a final episode...but we're not even halfway done.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Sep 28, 2017 1:25 PM

Jun 2013
Based from Agatha Christie's Ten Little Niggers.
Oct 28, 2017 5:07 AM

Sep 2015
I have to say...That seems like it was the end of the first light novel. And the past 5 episodes have been building up to that before it changes tact again. But while I didn't hate it. I found this a very odd, rushed and messy episode. Not that the show hasn't kind of always been like that. And not that I didn't find it interesting and entertaining in places.

It definitely seemed like things were moving towards Kyon and Haruhi getting together. And I even liked how they did it. The ponytail moe was a cute little touch. I just felt like. It maybe wasn't quite set up enough. We hadn't seen enough of how Kyon felt about Haruhi for that turn to feel natural. But I liked a lot of the ideas about depression the whole thing grappled with. Even if it wasn't the most enlightened treatise on it. I'm sure many out there would be horrified by the implication here. That depression can be cured by dating a boy.

I'm curious just how serious Haruhi and Kyon will get. As well as how quickly it will happen, over the next few episodes. And I'd lastly like to take this time to say. I feel so bad for Asahina at the end there. She's always been a pretty sad sack butt monkey character. But Kyon's pointless provoking out of nowhere in that post credits scene. And like the terror on her face when Haruhi came in behind her. I'm always surprised by how sadistic KyoAni can be. For being such a cutesy moe studio.
Jan 10, 2018 7:18 PM

Sep 2015
Ooh, mahjong. Let's see what kind of hand Haruhi got (you can thank Saki for this...).

Haruhi said her hand was probably about 10000 points (probably mangan or lower), but Koizumi remarked that it was actually a yakuman (32000/48000, the highest of the limit hands, although it is possible to get multiple yakuman). This was likely enough to make Kyon go bust, which is why he was glad that they weren't playing for money.

Of the yakuman hands that are most likely to be overlooked, they are kazoe, suuankou, ryuuiissou, and maybe daisangen. Her hand also allows for a chinroutou and chuuren.

Apr 10, 2018 9:44 AM

Sep 2017
Haruhi's exploits in the dream world, with MC.

For a series about a character that decries boring, this series is ironically boring in itself. They just put that plot point of a kiss to make the plot move forward lazily. Instead of a good reasoning why Haruhi needs to go back to the real world and clear her of her delusions, just kiss. It is the answer to everything HUH?

Haruhi is such a bitch in the beginning. She chases the MC out when she had no qualms about being naked in the clubroom and molesting Asahina. Besides, she had done nothing great as a god or as a person herself. This anime is basically the prophecy rewritten for the protagonist to stop any true love from occurring.

You are Adam and Eve, you are made to procreate.

LAAAAAAAAAME. This anime creator thought, I don't have the time or commitment to develop a relationship between the two, so I will rather put an excuse that they are destined by a prophecy and shoehorn them together. I will drop this anime if possible.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Dec 3, 2018 3:09 PM

Sep 2014
Im currently rewatching this and I completely forgot the mess the airing order was. Im watching chronological, idk why, it just happens to be that way on the stream I have.

I remember seeing this is airing order first, so this is a change for me.

Kyons Imouto is still in the top 5 of anime lolis
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Mar 16, 2019 2:29 PM
Apr 2018
Did Koizumi use his abilities to get the right card from Kyon or Kyon himself did that to lose?

I wasn't expecting a murder. Weird.
Apr 3, 2019 7:13 AM
Jul 2018
Waaaiit a second, these forums aren't in the dvd order (2009 rebroadcast order), are they? Cause I was expecting this to be about the episode "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya part 6".
Jul 7, 2019 5:35 AM

Nov 2017
Absolutely love this show

Apr 25, 2020 3:25 AM
Jan 2012
Only six episodes in and it already feels like an eternity. This is gonna be tough to get through.
Jun 7, 2020 8:18 AM

May 2018
Kyon is an absolute chad
Sep 18, 2020 4:07 PM

Mar 2020
It is with great honour that I bestow this forum topic with the 'most confusing discussion' award. I have absolutely no idea what some of the posts are about, but if it helps I watched the episode where Haruhi and Kyon get trapped inside closed space.

I guess now that I've posted on a thread about this series I feel obligated to share my thoughts about it... It's pretty good. I remember giving this a go just over a year ago and while I never finished watching this, I thought it was (trigger warning) way better than Kyoto animation's other work. At the very least, I'm relieved to know that KyoAni is actually capable of working with good source material.

As far as this episode goes, I don't think it was as engaging as the previous three. I honestly found all the lore dumps to be pretty interesting, and I didn't feel there was enough intrigue in this episode to really hold my attention. I really enjoyed that conclusion, though.
Oct 19, 2020 11:47 PM

Mar 2020
I feel like I just watched the season finale...
Nov 9, 2020 3:28 PM

Feb 2020
chronological order (at first i thought this was broadcast order but then later found out it was chronological TT)

wow, so much stuff happened

surprised haruhi kissed him back and barely hesitated
well done kyon huhu

the way she ended up wearing a ponytail.. aaaa cuties
umjisNov 11, 2020 12:59 PM
Mar 5, 2021 10:16 AM
Aug 2020
I am confuse now. Why my episode is different than in this discussion?
Mar 13, 2021 7:31 PM

Jun 2014
Haruhi does look good with a ponytail, although personally, I prefer her regular hairstyle.

Kyon remembered what Mikuru and Yuki told him at the last minute, and kissed Haruhi. That saved the world.

Mar 18, 2021 11:34 PM
Jul 2018
That was one climax, but I'm not even half way done yet...
Welp, on to the next episode.
May 9, 2021 9:29 PM

Jan 2019
As controversial as I know it is, having a debate about the order to watch these episodes in just fits this show and I'm glad there is ambiguity.
Jul 22, 2021 7:36 AM

Aug 2020
[Chronological order]

Wow, nice to see Haruhi's soft spot. Also, that kiss.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Jul 29, 2021 1:49 PM

Jan 2020
Not bad. It was pretty unique and I like the alternate location plotline.

I'm glad that everyone is safe and this series as a whole is seemingly starting to grow on me which is nice

Aug 3, 2021 6:30 AM

Jul 2020
the fact that she pony tailed her hair was so cute
Dec 25, 2021 5:35 AM

May 2020
[CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER]

After that Mystérique episode.
So this time a beach trip, and that too on an almost deserted island lol. They had so much fun, but the end took me by surprise. Just as Haruhi wanted, the owner was found stabbed in his room.
Jan 30, 2022 2:22 PM

Dec 2007
the only fact this episode was out of the order is itsuki's note about harui's "boredom".
without that i would think it's continuation to suzumiya haruhi's melancholy arc.

in the end haruhi get what she wanted xD
Jul 5, 2022 10:11 AM

Nov 2018
It feels like my knowledge of psychological books, especially Freud, is massively lacking...
I hate everyone equally
Jul 5, 2022 10:14 AM

Nov 2018
Haruhi looks like Kumiko when she has ponytails btw.
I hate everyone equally
Aug 9, 2022 12:37 AM
Oct 2020
what an episoide!
Sep 2, 2022 5:49 AM
Jun 2022
A guy being stabbed in a locked room with a closed circle, has haruhi been watching umineko?
Jan 2, 2023 12:11 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
I still have no idea what to think of this show. It certainly is something, I'm certain of that.

So this episode, Part 6 of the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, aired LAST for season 1. I can now see why some would stick to watching this via broadcasting order for the sake of slightly better pacing, because this more or less did kind of feel like a last-episode-of-the-season kind of episode. But again, every site I come across including crunchyroll which is where I'm watching it, has organized it in the chronological order, and I'll be sticking with that for the sake of simplicity. Although to me it probably wouldn't have even mattered that much. Again, I just want to get through all this so I can see the movie. 

Wouldn't have minded it at all if ponytail Haruhi were to stay though. 

NYANPASU
5700XT

Feb 27, 2023 4:00 PM
Sep 2020
fan frickin tastic
Mar 19, 2023 4:59 AM
Dec 2022
her ponytail :') good twist :)
Apr 7, 2023 5:31 PM
Jun 2020
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Apr 25, 2023 8:02 AM

May 2018
Broadcast order is better because it lets the climax to end of the series, as it should be, it's nice that you have different ways to approach the anime, but damn the discussion is always a big mess.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Apr 27, 2023 12:02 AM
Jun 2017
Watching in Chronological order!

I swear this is one of the rarest times when Kyon decides to give a shit about Haruhi who's at her worst as an all-around bitch when the world they are in is about to be obliterated by a celestial. Because of the hints; the fairy tales, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty given by Mikuru and Yuki, Kyon goes for an obvious choice by kissing Haruhi on the lips as a declaration of love as we are supposed to think which actually works and the world was saved. Seeing Haruhi with a ponytail is a beautiful cathartic end to the arc!
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» "chronological order" and my utter disgust for it

Tsuna_Nihilist - Apr 15

36 by YukariKatsuragi »»
Apr 16, 11:49 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 23, 2008

87 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:50 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AgathaKazar - Jul 19, 2008

99 by S4dnu »»
Apr 9, 5:39 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Jul 26, 2008

101 by Alkimia »»
Feb 29, 9:02 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Trojun - Aug 16, 2008

61 by RubensMelancholy »»
Feb 18, 12:17 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.