Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Bungo Stray Dogs
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
May 6, 2016 11:27 AM

Dec 2012
Great episode, I liked the comedy. Ranpo deserves the respect he has, such an impressive character.
May 6, 2016 11:28 AM

Oct 2013
This one felt a lot better than ep 4 lol. Rampo is quite like Dazai, in mannerisms and eccentricities. It's interesting how he can't seem to remember simple things like how to take the train, or how to get back somewhere lol. I can't tell if he purposely just won't expend the energy, or if he has to think really hard about it every time. I guess as penance for actually being the only true detective, everyone leads him around and allows him to be a arrogant lol. Dazai's explanation of how the Mafia members deal with traitors is gruesome. I'm excited to see what his role was in the past.

I know some people are complaining about the comedy, but it didn't really bother me as much as it did last episode, it felt more in place. That could be because i adjusted my expectations for this anime lmao, although there were no random anti-climactic endings to make the episode awkward, like ep 4. This episode also actually felt like a real "detective" episode, but I doubt this will turn out to be an episodic mystery (i could be wrong here, since it's only ep 5 out of 24 episods.)

Overall, 4/5. The episode wasn't amazing, but at least some of the jokes were funny.

Next week's episode features Kunikida-kun so it should be funny, since the writers never let him take himself too seriously, w/o poking fun at his over-zealous nature.
I couldn't think of anything cool to put here.
May 6, 2016 6:28 PM

May 2015
fvck dazai at first lol
my full respect for ranpo
May 6, 2016 7:34 PM
Mar 2012
(nearly) same case as in ace attorney.
Dazai lol didn't expect that drift.
Ranpo, as explained by Dazai on clues was quite interesting.
But if dating someone, I thought girls usually put makeup regardless of mornings.
May 6, 2016 7:46 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Pretty good episode. I like that at least one person from the Agency is actually just a normal person.

That was a sad case though, seeing a young woman like that dead.

I wonder if this will be the formula of the show, a few episodes for the main story then one for a random adventure, then a few more for the story, and so on.
May 7, 2016 1:45 AM
Feb 2015
that dectective guy is kind a cool
great episode!
May 7, 2016 3:20 AM

Jun 2013
Lol at the curb stomp. There needs to be more curb stomping in general
May 7, 2016 5:00 AM

Feb 2016
interesting and quite entertaining episode with rampo san a new character got introduced that i'm liking the most so far. i would say that he's the most badass character until now as his natural given capability is on par with supernatural ones.
furthermore at first glance it seems like he's arrogant but actually he's not because i think he's hiding the fact that he's not 'gifted' deliberately to not show of too much.

beside this i also admired the fact that they explained how the case was solved instead of only saying ultra deduction somehow solved the case. to dive deeper one can also understand with this how average people turn into criminals. that happens when they give up on achieving their goals with the right method and use the wrong way to achieve them anyhow as the policeman relied on that diet group to be able to become a police officer in this episode. with this he wasn't able to maintain control over his life but gave a opportunity for others to pressure him and use him in the way they can profit from it.

the animation in each episode is superb but that also could be solely my person opinion because i like it when a show uses scenes with a vast horizon or backgrounds with an view of the sky.
May 7, 2016 7:56 AM

Dec 2015
Did not expect that Rampo isn't using an ability, to be able to solve the case just with those tiny leads was amazing though. Also didn't expect those two were lovers, that was tragic.
As soon as someone said that they caught a man in the net, I knew it was going to be Dazai lol.

May 7, 2016 3:16 PM

Sep 2012
Damn. Rampo is so much like Izaya, and I can't stop fangirling over his voice. Hiroshi Kamiya is such an amazing VA. He even looks quite a bit younger than he is (hard to tell with anime sometimes). I'd say he looks like he's in his early 20s? Maybe even late teens? Then, we have Izaya, who claims to be forever 21 even though he's 24 at the start of the series and currently 27.

Ahahaha, I have a bit of an obsession if you can't tell. Ugh, Kamiya uses practically the same inflection in his tone for Rampo as he did for Izaya, and I just can't. (Also, heard a bit of Yato inflection too, but he isn't too far off.) Rampo is awesome though. Even without the voice, he's become my favorite character of the show with Dazai in second place. It's weird that he's shorter than Dazai because I'm used to Kamiya's characters being taller than Mamoru's characters (like Izaya and Kida).

"It's a conversation through instruments. A miracle that creates harmony. In that moment, music transcends words." - Miyazono Kaori
"Laziness is the mother of all bad habits. But ultimately she is a mother and we should respect her." - Nara Shikamaru
"You think you're special? You're not. Everyone lies, everyone hides things... Nobody makes it through this life being completely honest." - Orihara Izaya
May 7, 2016 5:03 PM

May 2015
What a great episode! I've been looking forward to the episode focusing on Rampo since I first heard about this series. And it was done so well! When they first mentioned Rampo's "ability" it seemed really cringe-worthy. I was so relieved when they revealed that Rampo's deduction was genuine. It makes his character much more interesting.

Of course this case wasn't going to be as complex as the ones in Detective Conan. They didn't even use the whole episode for the case and its details. The really well thought out cases in Conan are almost all at least 2 episodes long. And it's also nothing new to be cracking jokes in front of a corpse. They do it a lot in Conan. Especially when Kogoro's around. Besides, the comedy in this anime works really well.
Cross-country >>>>>>>>>>>> Every other sport
May 7, 2016 8:38 PM

Jan 2011
I knew it was Dazai as soon as they mentioned there was a man in the river.

Would have been pretty lame if it really was just an ability Rampo had.
May 8, 2016 4:16 AM

Jan 2009
Pffft, didn't expect that NOT be an ability.

The comedy was a bit off this episode, but it was still good.
May 8, 2016 4:45 AM

Apr 2014
CrotakuShinobi said:
So we got a japanese Sherlock Holmes

we already had detective conan for years xD
May 8, 2016 3:09 PM

Apr 2016
Bungo Stray Dogs 5 was cool and funny!
May 9, 2016 11:22 AM

Feb 2015
Nothing amazing, minimal comedy, but an interesting episode.
May 9, 2016 1:30 PM

Nov 2015
Ranpo's skills are awesome!
Dazai in the river part was funny

May 9, 2016 3:44 PM

Feb 2008
I think it's funny all of the people who complain about the "comedic" parts of this show. One prominent example I can think of that went from serious to humorous fast was Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and it's critically acclaimed. Some of you guys just need to lighten up a little. This is a fine series.
People are strange, when you're a stranger
May 9, 2016 3:45 PM
Mar 2016
Seeing the mixed opinions on this series makes me cringe so much /:

Honestly, if they didn't have the comedy in the series, then this show would probably be the edgiest anime this season (remember Divine Gate?) because it would seem too melodramatic with Atsushi and the dark environment; in my opinion, it would be better off if you leaved the comedy in than take it out.

And speaking of Atsushi and his emo-like personality, as you probably know, the characters in this series were based off of real Japanese authors. The person that Atsushi is based off supposedly questions life an often lot, which reflects on why Atsushi keeps on returning to the topic of whether his life is in vain or not. Dazai is more like a satiric version of his real character, Ranpo beats the impossible by deducing the case under one minute since he is based off of Sherlock Holmes in the end, and the other characters have other qualities that reflect on their real life counterpart. Here's a video delving more into the characters and their backgrounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFrqBWD-k6I

Anyways, I thought this episode was actually better than majority of the series so far, since it had an equal balance of comedy and seriousness; that deduction that Dazai explained in the end was truly amazing in my opinion, since anyone that has a love for mysteries would be able to solve the case without his explanation because all of the proof was there in the end.
May 10, 2016 4:29 AM

Aug 2014
I liked this episode, I think comedy and seriousness were well balanced (but tbh I'm not really a fan of Ranpo). I'm still waiting for more action and my favourite character from manga to appear though ;3
May 10, 2016 5:30 AM
Nov 2015
Dazai is so funny lol. The thing I'm wondering is the detective's power. We've see something like aura and lights. And in the end it was all deduction and intuition. It was a little mystery for me.
May 10, 2016 6:40 AM

Aug 2015
Dazai was funny as always.
Rampo was damn awesome.

Liked the episode.
May 10, 2016 9:19 PM

Jul 2007
Another brilliant episode. Since I am kind of late, won't be going through too much background info stuff.

Ranpo certainly fits thetype of characters Edogawa Ranpo used in his novels - quirky, borderline insane, strong ego, brilliant mind but also huge flaws to counter it. Edogawa Ranpo in show is based upon Ranpo's most famous character, Detective Akechi and the episode title is a reference to the first story about Akechi that Ranpo wrote(Case of Murder on D Hill). I do hope that his latter involvement is more Surreal as befit of Ranpo's works. I wonder if the Bungou Stray Dogs Edogawa Ranpo/Akechi version will have his Fiend with Twenty Faces arch nemesis?

This show continues to be absolutely brilliant treasure trove for anyone interested in literature.
5/5
May 10, 2016 11:41 PM

Jan 2011
man i am just simply not feeling this show at all anymore,and cracking jokes next to a person that was murdered is hilarious right?.. i could consider earlier episodes having a better balance but definitely not this one.
May 11, 2016 8:25 AM

Jul 2009
The police guy showed how he treated his girlfriend...I hope he dies in jail.
May 11, 2016 12:02 PM
Apr 2016
4/5. Better than last episode. I'll keep watching.
May 11, 2016 5:23 PM

Sep 2013
Another somewhat underwhelming episode, the comedy was as questionable as always and it doesn't seem to be picking up at all. Hopefully it gets better somehow.
May 12, 2016 6:53 AM

May 2008
Crashmatt said:
The comedy was terrible again, FFS the suicide joke is NOT FUNNY!

THANK YOU! I started to think I'm the only one who hates Dazai's gimmick.
May 12, 2016 11:07 AM

Oct 2008
Ranpo didn't even used his actual ability on that case! too OP!
but more OP is Dazai which cancel out all kinds of ability!
That agency is really OP!
4/5.

May 13, 2016 8:22 AM

Jun 2010
Ranpo is very cool. But the episode was kinda boring, since nothing happened. Too bad that the victim and the killer were dating. He'll suffer so much since he lost his dream job and accidentally killed his girlfriend, and will be in prison for a long time, if not forever. Very sad ending.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 16, 2016 4:16 AM
Aug 2011
Crashmatt said:
Is this show really Seinen? Or is it Shounen pretending to be Seinen?

The hell are you trying to say with this statement?
You do know that seinen isn't just your Berserk, Vagabond, Kingdom etc. type of manga right...
Cute girl stuff like Non Non Biyori and silly short manga like Tonari no Seki-kun are seinen too.
May 16, 2016 4:42 AM

Feb 2015
stand said:
Crashmatt said:
Is this show really Seinen? Or is it Shounen pretending to be Seinen?

You do know that seinen isn't just your Berserk, Vagabond, Kingdom etc. type of manga right...
Cute girl stuff like Non Non Biyori and silly short manga like Tonari no Seki-kun are seinen too.

It's really not that difficult. The show to me just seems like a typical shounen anime. It like other battle shounen shows with special abilities, fights and bad guys. I'm also well aware that Seinen doesn't atomically mean Berserk like shows so stop putting words in my mouth
May 18, 2016 2:11 AM
May 2016
I'm seriously about to lose it.. I had to create an account here just to get an explanation.. Is there really not a single OCD one amongst you?

In a world of "special abilities" most of which seem like magic or spells of sorts there should still be rules. Rule #1 If you have a special ability, it will be accompanied by a stunning display of magic power (example: Spinning wooshing green vortex of super awesomeness along with matrix style scrolling blips in the lens' of seemingly normal glasses)

Rule #2 If you don't have a special ability. You should not be able to summon a huge spinning vortex of doom...

Are we supposed to assume that the vortex never happened? Are we just being entertained by someones imagination when we see that happening? Is everyone around actually just watching him silently put on his glasses and appear to think for a few seconds?

Why the hell doesn't this concern any of you??? I was honestly hoping that his "ability" was to summon a light show and spin up the dust around him while he was using his human deduction skills. That would have been a classic comedic touch to this situation... Instead they had to "prove" he didn't have any ability by dazai touching him. So how the hell did he do the vortex light show???? Can normal average people create balling diablo2 style auras? If so why aren't they doing it? Id be walking around with flames in a double helix formation around me at all times!!!
May 18, 2016 8:19 AM

Jul 2008
Good detective episode, for the past few seasons I realised many series (not crime detective series) will add an episode or two into their show and it is working pretty well :) I appreciate the thinking of the case and it's always interesting to find out who the culprit is and the location of the evidence.
May 18, 2016 10:55 AM

Jul 2007
Crashmatt said:
stand said:

It's really not that difficult. The show to me just seems like a typical shounen anime. It like other battle shounen shows with special abilities, fights and bad guys. I'm also well aware that Seinen doesn't atomically mean Berserk like shows so stop putting words in my mouth

Plenty of seinen stuff has those elements too. Since Seinen/Shonen is jsut a demo. Its not a genre. It does not define the content. It defines the expectations of the viewer. In this case even black comedy about suicide would fall somewhere closer to seinen demo than shonen.

Pokkett said:

Are we supposed to assume that the vortex never happened? Are we just being entertained by someones imagination when we see that happening? Is everyone around actually just watching him silently put on his glasses and appear to think for a few seconds?

That's just a visual cue for the viewers.
May 21, 2016 12:33 AM

Jun 2013
When they pulled the net up, I freakin' knew it was Dazai.

Ranpo is so cute. He solved the crime simply due to his own intelligence. "Super Deduction" is not actually an ability. When I searched his name, I realized he and Detective Conan (his alias name) share the same surname. :O
May 22, 2016 2:39 AM

Dec 2010
PHEW, I'M REAL GLAD HE ISN'T AN ABILITY USER. Seriously, it'd be really lame if he used an Ability to help his deduction skills.

Anyway, this was the first good episode for multiple reasons. I like Rampo, he could probably give Sherlock Holmes a run for his money.
May 24, 2016 8:24 AM

Apr 2011
Woah! That deduction skills are out of this world! Nice one. Though the episode is just an "okay" to me.

May 24, 2016 7:16 PM
Jul 2018
well, definitly would've enjoyed it more if theres a bigger detective part and less talking

Rampo was pretty great though~ reminds me of izaya lel
Jun 8, 2016 1:19 AM

Sep 2015
Ranpo's character design is awesome. The fact that he doesn't even have an ability, makes him even more of a BEAST
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/QcK_Dagger_HeaT&sclick=1][IMG]
Jun 24, 2016 5:01 AM

Jul 2013
So, Ranpo just resolved the case in that time without using an ability? Mad respect to him. Probably my favorite character of the series so far, as I like his personality and design (+ Hiroshi fucking Kamiya).

I found Dazai's appearence funny, but... I think that going into hammy mode in front of the victim's corpse was too much. I mean, they are professionals. Ranpo has an excuse since he is the immature genius, but Dazai should know when to hold himself back.

The episode overall was just a way to know more about Ranpo. Even when anything important happened, I liked it.

Next one will be centered in Kunikida. Want know more about him.
Jun 30, 2016 7:20 AM
Jun 2016
I'm really liking the comedy of this anime. It makes me smile
Jul 5, 2016 7:06 AM

Mar 2015
Hilarious when they found Dazai in the river just trying to commit suicide like it was nothing new. Also I knew there was some significance to him standing behind Ranpo while he was evoking his power, to prove that Ultimate Deduction wasn't actually a gift
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jul 17, 2016 11:09 AM

May 2012
Quite a serious episode, if they stay in the detective route then I'll sure going to like this anime a lot more!
Jul 25, 2016 1:26 PM

Apr 2015
I kinda felt sad for the lady ='(.

So innocent.
Sep 23, 2016 6:56 AM

Apr 2014
I honestly thought that when they caught Dazai in the river and then he started talking about how he wanted to do a double suicide with a beautiful woman, the police detectives would accuse him of killing the girl. I was like "No Dazai why are you saying such thigns at such a wrong moment right now"

At first I didn't like Rampo because he was so cocky but after knowing that he doesn't have an ability and what he did he won my respect and I don't blame him for being that cocky in the agency.
Let’s say I posed this question to you: “Can all human souls be bought with money or not?” Now remember, the keyword here is “all”. The answer is “There are times when you can buy them, and other times, not,” right? The human being… sometimes he’ll uphold his pride and conscience even if he’s offered ten billion yen, and other times he’ll murder someone over one yen. ~Izaya Ohira (Durarara)
Oct 6, 2016 8:29 PM

May 2014
Dazai unable to read the atmosphere as he comically weeps over a dead woman's corpse during a murder case. You gotta love him though.

Also, I adore Ranpo! He's like a wonderful mix of Icihmaru Gin, Lau (Black Butler) and Shinra (Durarara). He's so sweet- your typical genius who just cannot function on his own and has no common sense whatsoever! I was honestly really surprised when Dazai revealed that he didn't have an ability, and that he'd basically just imagined it all up.
Does he have a case of the old Chuunibyou?
Bless him.

Oh yeah, and my heart kinda went out to the guy who accidentally killed his own girlfriend. Like damn.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 8, 2017 1:02 AM
Dec 2015
Ranpo is an interesting individual. My nerdy detective side is pleased :D
Feb 22, 2017 12:15 AM

Jan 2014
if ranpo is just deducting, then why he has some aura like other members when they activate their powers?
Mar 20, 2017 11:06 PM

Jan 2017
When Ranpo-san said his motto I kinda got a Yato vibe from him. Maybe because they have the same voice actor? I dunno. And when they revealed that he didn't have a gift I was like "Damnnn. That's freakin amazing"
Sorry for my English.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Writing is more miss than hit; will it get better?

BiobulletM - 11 hours ago

18 by JaysonNnN »»
26 minutes ago

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2016

368 by Devonnius »»
Apr 14, 11:19 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2016

159 by yahn0928 »»
Apr 2, 9:54 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2016

144 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Apr 1, 8:07 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2016

153 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 30, 1:48 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.