Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Bungo Stray Dogs
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 4, 2016 9:26 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well that was alright. The timing of the comedy feels somewhat awkward because of the murder cause involved. Thanks Dazai

Ranpo Edogawa's an interesting character with his detective skills. He kinda reminds me of Daizai himself. They also adapted the suicide gun threat scene well, probably most climatic part of the episode. Glad to see that they are highlighting each main characters' personalities and ability well; even though Daizai kinda joked about Ranpo's again. By now, I got used to the comedy anyway. They are present in the manga so the director did a decent job with that.

May 4, 2016 9:32 AM

Nov 2007
Everyone's looking up to HiroC's character, who likes b-dama from Ramune, and doesn't know the way to ride the train (second anime of the day to see that...). The main guy's assigned to lead the way. Solving the case as a detective. lol~ Mamo's character again. The police, like most of the detective anime, do not trust detectives. HiroC's character's ability is to be able to do detective stuff when wearing glasses (later learned that it's a switch to start revealing what he learned).

One of the police is really the culprit? He's a spy who was ordered to check on her, who has some kind of key information to the group. WHAT? His detective is not his "ability" but his mere brain and sharp observation. Mamo's character saw some of what HiroC's character saw, too. So they were couple, thus the tear and "sorry" from the lady...

Mafia again next.
tsubasaloverMay 4, 2016 9:38 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
May 4, 2016 10:57 AM

May 2014
So we got a japanese Sherlock Holmes
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
May 4, 2016 11:04 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
With this episode, I think that Ranpo is now my favorite character

Not only do I love I personality and the gimmick that he's a complete moron that doesn't even know how to catch a train lol, but his demeanor and attitude makes him such a great person to be around

And don't get me started on how he's the most broken detective that I have ever seen...Sherlock Holmes needs to get on HIS level lol....I had no idea that he had no ability either so that came as a pleasant surprise to me

The plot of this episode however was setup and handled quite nicely and the evidence behind the case was laid out in a great way that made the reveal very satisfying and logical....I felt bad for the lovers though, that was really tragic :(

Fucking amazing episode all around and its definitely my personal favorite of the series so far...The comedy balance worked great too imo
TokoyaMay 4, 2016 11:09 AM
May 4, 2016 11:08 AM

Sep 2015
Haha I didn't expect Daizai in the river x)
Really good episode
May 4, 2016 11:12 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
CrotakuShinobi said:
So we got a japanese Sherlock Holmes
Ranpo Edogawa is a very famous Japanese novelists famous for writing great detective and mystery novels

He was influenced by the creator of Sherlock Holmes so naturally you're correct with your deduction here
May 4, 2016 11:23 AM

Jul 2014
Well, the subs on this are so out-of-sync that it's damn-near impossible to watch, but even with that this was still a pretty good episode. Ranpo is one of the coolest characters we've been introduced to so far, which definitely helps as well.
May 4, 2016 11:27 AM

Jan 2015
I knew it's Dazai. LOL
After hearing about Port-Mafia's "method" to kill their victim from Dazai... That's really scary even to imagine.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
May 4, 2016 11:35 AM

Jan 2015
I don't get how so many people don't like the comedy in this show. I laughed my ass off when they pulled Dazai from the river. I think the show is a perfect mix of seriousness and light hearted comedy.
May 4, 2016 11:39 AM
Nov 2015
Ranpo is pretty damn awesome. The Armed Detective Agency is filled with such interesting individuals.
May 4, 2016 11:47 AM

Jan 2015
This is turning out to be the disappointment of the season, for me.
This anime doesn't know what it wants to be.
May 4, 2016 11:52 AM

Apr 2015
Zemroid said:
I don't get how so many people don't like the comedy in this show. I laughed my ass off when they pulled Dazai from the river. I think the show is a perfect mix of seriousness and light hearted comedy.

Well humor is as subjective as it can get, so there is your reason. If we talk about me I have my moments with the comedy definitely but overall the show still seems somewhat "lost" to me.

Shame about the beautiful female character. I'm really interested in her character and the whole case about political corruption she was on.
FappaMay 4, 2016 12:09 PM
May 4, 2016 12:06 PM

May 2016
Comedy is still problematic (why isn't the police complaining that they're joking around in front of the victim they knew?), but I'm going to stop commenting on it.

I actually liked the case and the last minutes of the episode. It's a nice touch that Ranpo doesn't have any abilities, but I wonder how did he end up in the Agency if it's supposed to be for people with abilities only.

And I also don't understand why the women shot herself when she had already taken the gun from Sugimoto. Maybe she just sacrificed herself so that her boyfriend could accomplish the mission? Hmmm...
May 4, 2016 12:10 PM

May 2015
Ok episode, they explained how they sustain themselves and presented another character.

Vinyet said:

And I also don't understand why the women shot herself when she had already taken the gun from Sugimoto. Maybe she just sacrificed herself so that her boyfriend could accomplish the mission? Hmmm...
She took the gun from the wrong part and pointed it in the wrong direction (thing that I wouldn't expect from a trained police officer) while the Sugimoto still had the finger on the trigger.
zalMay 4, 2016 12:19 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 4, 2016 12:18 PM

May 2016
zal said:
She took the gun from the wrong part and pointed it in the wrong direction while the detective still had the finger on the trigger.

I see. I was a bit confused there. Thanks!
May 4, 2016 12:20 PM

Aug 2013
the title of the episode, murder on D street, is the same title as the short story in which Kogoro Akechi, Edogawa's character, appears

you can purchase it here if you are interested: http://www.amazon.com/Edogawa-Rampo-Early-Akechi-Kogoro-ebook/dp/B00S8O1OFA (there are other stories featuring Akechi in it)

I have this book, the cases are really great
May 4, 2016 12:21 PM
May 2014
I might drop this anime if the next episode doesn't get better.
May 4, 2016 12:23 PM

Aug 2013
So, isn't Dazai's deductive abilities on par with Ranpo's then ?

since he also figured out the case
May 4, 2016 12:30 PM

Dec 2014
Really good episode, Ranpo is awesome.

Never expected the fact that he wasn't an ability user, Respect for the guy for solving the case in such a short time but yet so accurately. Real Genius he is.

Would have loved to see Ranpo's thought process on how he connected the different elements of the case together.
May 4, 2016 12:35 PM

May 2015
Sherlupin said:
So, isn't Dazai's deductive abilities on par with Ranpo's then ?

since he also figured out the case
There was a part of the case that Dazai couldn't deduce but Ranpo did, so probably no.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 4, 2016 12:51 PM

Jul 2015
Xenocrisi said:

Yeah it's pretty meh'.

This is still the beginning though, there are still some characters to introduce.
May 4, 2016 1:00 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Ranpo is really cool.
May 4, 2016 1:14 PM

Feb 2015
Just waking up from my boredom induced coma after watching this episode. The comedy was terrible again, FFS the suicide joke is NOT FUNNY! Pretty standard detective case, didn't care for Ranpo much. Just another goofy character. Ohh he's a bit thick.... hilarious stuff.

Is this show really Seinen? Or is it Shounen pretending to be Seinen? Either was its still the biggest disappointment of the season for me.
May 4, 2016 1:40 PM

Sep 2009
This episode was nicely adapted. It's a shame about the comedy. They were more natural in the manga, and not as exaggerated as in the anime.

I was surprised by the preview for episode 6.
May 4, 2016 1:41 PM

Jan 2016
he's pretty smart
May 4, 2016 1:45 PM

Jan 2008
Worst episode so far for me.
First, when I heard that guy's ability was to solve any case in an instant, I thought - where's the fun in that?
Then when I learned he is not using an ability, it became even more ridiculous, since there's no way he could have deduced all of that in a minute.
Also, they did the "genius detective who is clueless about everyday life" archetype much better with L already.
May 4, 2016 1:56 PM

Jan 2014
I actually loved this episode? This series seems to get all sorts of mixed reactions, I feel a bit misunderstood here, but hey, maybe you have to be a bit cynical and depressed to enjoy it? Btw, someone please stop Dazai.
May 4, 2016 2:01 PM

Feb 2013
Darklord_bg said:
First, when I heard that guy's ability was to solve any case in an instant, I thought - where's the fun in that?
Then when I learned he is not using an ability, it became even more ridiculous, since there's no way he could have deduced all of that in a minute.
Also, they did the "genius detective who is clueless about everyday life" archetype much better with L already.

Well to be fair, for someone with that much concentration/analytical abilities only pay attention to what really matters to them, which are the crime stuff, and thus kinda have to not bother with 'useless knowledge' which is common sense stuff. Heck, that's how Holmes is portrayed in the Sherlock TV series.
May 4, 2016 2:25 PM

Jun 2014
Pretty interesting how Rampo isn't actually using an ability. I'm not sure how I feel about that, I think I'd rather him be a gifted ability user rather than an ordinary guy with hax deductive abilities. Looks like Akutagawa is gonna appear in the next episode, so things should get intense.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

May 4, 2016 2:34 PM

Feb 2015
One of my favourite episodes so far. I found it too funny when they pulled Dazai out of the river. Ranpo's a nice character, I hope we'll see more of him in the future.
May 4, 2016 2:35 PM

May 2015
That's sure something, able to solve a case in a matter of seconds like that. Pretty cold killing your girlfriend like that for a job. What a loser, to be honest. Decent episode, although solving the case could've been done without that comedy.

May 4, 2016 3:21 PM

Mar 2016
This episode was pretty good . Ranpo-san's ultra deduction is soo OP . Dazai drifting in the river again lol . Next episode kunikida ( vs akutagawa ? )
Shishou_23May 4, 2016 3:24 PM
May 4, 2016 3:33 PM
Jul 2018
dazai thnx for saving the day ♥
so an episode focused on ranpo, he is pretty cool indeed!
May 4, 2016 3:52 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
The comedy worked best in this episode imo. And Ranpo was great (and Kamiya-san's voice makes everything better).

4/5
May 4, 2016 3:54 PM

Apr 2015
Okay episode. The highly-respected Ranpo Edogawa gets featured, exhibiting his skills although he doesn't really possess an ability like the others. Atsushi and Dazai's conversation about him while heading back was nice.
May 4, 2016 4:12 PM
Jun 2013
best episode so far surprisingly.
May 4, 2016 4:24 PM
Jul 2018
The comedy isn't bad, but sometimes is misplaced.
May 4, 2016 4:38 PM

Nov 2011
So Ranpo doesn't have powers? Then why did Daizai use his powers on him? Did I miss something? Dammit ill have to rewatch that part.

Awesome episode though.

Now I get it, if Ranpo had powers and Daizai used his powers on him then Ranpo would have never solved the case...Thats freaking awesome. Damn Ranpo and Daizai are awesome characters.
SoraSenpaiMay 4, 2016 6:49 PM
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

May 4, 2016 5:04 PM

Aug 2015
Ranpo is awesome and i just realized that the character's name is come from novelist name and their power is come from the book that they released

May 4, 2016 5:14 PM

Jul 2014
Well we're 5 episodes in now, and I still can't for the life of me figure out what this anime is trying to be. It's part murder mystery, part edgy, part "nobody loves me"... well you get the idea. The comedy is a redeemable, but I just don't understand how a cohesive plot is going to be assembled in 7 episodes. I think I'll give it one more episode to do something before I drop it.
"Man always thinks about the past before he dies, as if he were frantically searching for proof that he truly lived." -Jet Black (Cowboy Bebop)
May 4, 2016 5:20 PM

Jun 2015
SoraSenpai said:
What..? I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Daizai used his powers basically to prove that Ranpo doesn't have powers, and instead is naturally gifted rather than supernaturally gifted.

OT: Another average episode, but I felt this was a little better than the last.
Still probably the most boring show of the season, but it has nice visuals, so I'll stick with it.
"Hurry up with my damn croissants."
May 4, 2016 5:20 PM

Jan 2016
I like this episode better than the last one, Ranpo's character may not be "original" but I like how the mystery case played out in the end (nice touch about them being lovers). The preview got me pumped tho, because I have always been wondering how that Doppo thing worked.

This may not be the best series I've watched from this season's line-up but I have a soft spot for it. I love the art, I reeeeeally love the ED, I love Dazai, the comedy may not be for everyone's taste but for me it was fooooyn. :D I guess you would have to remember though that comedy isn't really the main focus of this anime, so if you were expecting Gintama-like punchlines then I wouldn't be surprised if you got out of this disappointed (says the person with the weird sense of humor).
May 4, 2016 5:36 PM

Oct 2014
Xenocrisi said:

It's only 5 episodes out of 24 + OVA. I'd say relax and keep watching in which case you might miss something you prefer to see if you drop it.
May 4, 2016 5:47 PM
Mar 2014
I knew it Dazai in the river, lol. I really appreciate this episode. The revelation that the Rambo does not have the power is amazing.
May 4, 2016 6:20 PM

Feb 2016
"All's well that's well for me."

Great episode imo. It was definitely better than the other ones and the comedy didn't feel out of place. The other episodes were less than par tbh, especially with those annoying flashbacks. I came to like Rampo a lot, he may be my next favorite character after Dazai.
May 4, 2016 6:21 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
The episode was interesting to watch but I still don't care for any of the characters. Still rating a 6/10
May 4, 2016 6:53 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode! I keep saying this in every single episode xD But it's true.
I bet that Ranpo has an ability but they don't know it or he can hide it from them because it's impossible for someone to find so fast who was the murderer. So there is probably a few secrets behind his ability.
Love how he was all that time so confident in his abilities.
I knew i knew that the 2nd body that they've found was Dazai! ahahahah i knew it xD he is the only one that is trying hard to kill himself xD
I'm loving this season, so much great animes.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

May 4, 2016 6:58 PM

Dec 2012
Wow! That was a great twist! Ranpo is just deducting. No wonder all the Agency people respect him.
May 4, 2016 7:17 PM

Sep 2014
Comedy part ruined everything..
May 4, 2016 7:38 PM

Nov 2014
velvetprayer said:

there's a light novel of this? i thought there's only a manga.

Darklord_bg said:

The case isn't that hard if you paid attention to the dialogues, much easier than some Detective Conan's. Like Dazai said, what that killer said about the 2 extra bullets stood out to me too. How does he know that the killer only intended to shoot once? Unless he's the killer...?
So it's definitely possible to deduce the killer, as for the other details, well, since rampo is a genius detective, those should be expected of him.

nakedfoxspirit said:
Xenocrisi said:

It's only 5 episodes out of 24 + OVA. I'd say relax and keep watching in which case you might miss something you prefer to see if you drop it.

actually it's only 12 episodes.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2016

368 by Devonnius »»
Apr 14, 11:19 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2016

159 by yahn0928 »»
Apr 2, 9:54 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2016

144 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Apr 1, 8:07 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2016

153 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 30, 1:48 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 25, 2016

191 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 30, 1:18 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.