Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 28, 2016 11:56 AM

Aug 2015
So I've been wondering why some anime's MC ( often a Hikikomori ) keeps wearing tracksuits , even when shopping outside. Does real like hikikomoris really wear them like that or something? They don't look very good to me tbh.
Examples :

I prefer jeans and t-shirt over this :/
Z-DanteApr 28, 2016 12:02 PM
Apr 28, 2016 12:01 PM

Aug 2014
Well because...uhm...japan love dem track suits? I really don't know tbh. But I'm amazed that's one thing you notice and bothers you...
Apr 28, 2016 12:05 PM

Apr 2016
Coz they be runnin' all the time, yo!
Something witty that makes you think I'm funny

Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier
Apr 28, 2016 12:06 PM

Jul 2013
Do you prefer them wearing a dress? At least is something new compared to the typical school uniform. I also like them, they are confortable.
Apr 28, 2016 12:07 PM

Aug 2015
kamisama751 said:
There is something called fashion, even in anime. T-shirt and jeans aren't that new anymore.
Japan and their fashion sense :/

Ain't it a trait of anime to stick to the already proven formal then trying something new?
And I wonder how the authors find them fashionable.
Apr 28, 2016 12:14 PM

Jul 2012
Really easy to create the designs for would probably be one reason. In addition, the case of hikkikomori/neet characters it fits the profile of being clothed enough that they could go out to a nearby store and get food/snacks and easily change out of it upon returning home. Such is the case with say Kazuma and Subaru who had left their homes to run an errand before ending up in another world. I mean why would a shut in need to keep up with the latest fashion when they hate going outside?
Apr 28, 2016 12:18 PM

Aug 2015
Illyricus said:
Do you prefer them wearing a dress? At least is something new compared to the typical school uniform. I also like them, they are confortable.
They might be comfortable but you don't exactly wear them all day, right? But these characters keep wearing them all day. It's natural to wear them while just walking or running, but even when shopping? I think not.

I prefer school uniforms over tracksuits if it's not too plain >_>
Apr 28, 2016 12:19 PM
Jan 2016
I guess they try to emphasize how those characters don't care much about their appearance and just wear what is most comfortable and suitable for moving around, of which the character will most likely do a lot of.
Apr 2015
I wear a tracksuit like half of the time and I certify that they're very comfortable, both for chilling or for sports purposes, which is why you don't ever have to change.

Lazy, I know.

Mar 2016
That Justice Jacket is awesome.

Too bad he doesn't keep it in HF
Apr 28, 2016 12:22 PM
Feb 2014
Z-Dante said:
kamisama751 said:
There is something called fashion, even in anime. T-shirt and jeans aren't that new anymore.
Japan and their fashion sense :/

Ain't it a trait of anime to stick to the already proven formal then trying something new?
And I wonder how the authors find them fashionable.

Sometimes it is cold outside and it would be too cold to wear a shirt or t-shirt and too warm to wear a jacket.

So, it is only natural to wear something that is warm but not too worm.

I am wearing one at the moment.
Apr 28, 2016 12:22 PM

Jul 2013
Z-Dante said:
Illyricus said:
They might be comfortable but you don't exactly wear them all day, right? But these characters keep wearing them all day. It's natural to wear them while just walking or running, but even when shopping? I think not.

What if I told you I'm wearing a tracksuit while writing this? Obviously not while running, but I often do errands wearing a tracksuit, it's not that uncommon. Also, when it's cold, but not too cold, it's the perfect clothing to use rather than a full jacket.

School uniforms tend to be more simple unless you wear Keima Katsuragi's fucking dope school uniform.
Apr 28, 2016 12:25 PM

Feb 2013
i dont think i saw it that often tbh.. especially since satou (the only hikki/neet protag who matters) doesn't

and neither does best_girl from zetsu sensei
Apr 28, 2016 12:26 PM
Jul 2018
Because tracksuits makes everyone look fabulous :)
Apr 28, 2016 12:27 PM

Dec 2015
Because it's boring to draw them in a different clothes every time, so why not one that can be reused?

jks.
Apr 28, 2016 12:30 PM
Sep 2015
Why not?

It works well as a cape for shirou's case but I don't really see them that often
Hayate, shana, black bullet, akame, fullmetal, charlotte, WGOK,....... and hundrends of other anime don't follow the trend so I think youre imagining stuff :P

=3=
Apr 28, 2016 12:40 PM

Sep 2015
It bothers me , Most boring MCs usually wear this tracksuits
Apr 28, 2016 12:44 PM
Sep 2015
Kaito-Fan said:

Do you have any examples of such characters?

=3=
Apr 28, 2016 12:55 PM

Sep 2015
CoolMan1999x said:
Kaito-Fan said:

=3=

Shiro , not sure if he wore this tracksuit all the time because it's been long time since I watched Ftn
Apr 28, 2016 12:59 PM
Sep 2015
Kaito-Fan said:
CoolMan1999x said:

=3=

Shiro , not sure if he wore this tracksuit all the time because it's been long time since I watched Ftn

I knew you were going to say that but I hesitated typing Shirou is not boring

anyways, how is shirou boring? The guy is one of the most op protagonists I have ever seen

I agree though that he says the most absurd stuff (People die if they are killed) hhhhh but other than that he wasnt that boring

=3=
Apr 28, 2016 1:02 PM

Sep 2015
CoolMan1999x said:
Kaito-Fan said:

I knew you were going to say that but I hesitated typing Shirou is not boring

anyways, how is shirou boring? The guy is one of the most op protagonists I have ever seen

I agree though that he says the most absurd stuff (People die if they are killed) hhhhh but other than that he wasnt that boring

=3=

Different tastes probably but I think Shiro is one of the reasons that FZ is better than Fsn
Apr 28, 2016 1:20 PM

Jul 2015
Illyricus said:

u know i wouldn't mind them wearing a dress, it would be nice
but i'm same with u, don't rly care much about them wearing tracksuits as i wear jogpants a lot and its rly comfy so why not?
Apr 28, 2016 1:49 PM

Jul 2015
Illyricus said:
Do you prefer them wearing a dress?

Yes, why is that even a question? Anyone else here feeling like dresses are innapropriate for men? *ignores those who raise hands* See?
Apr 28, 2016 1:53 PM
Sep 2015
Clebardman said:
Illyricus said:
Do you prefer them wearing a dress?

Yes, why is that even a question? Anyone else here feeling like dresses are innapropriate for men? *ignores those who raise hands* See?

Dresses are appropriate for some *Cough**Cough*men*Cough**Cough* like Hideyoshi (baka to test) and ruka (steins gate) hhhh

=3=
Apr 28, 2016 1:56 PM

Sep 2015
Illyricus said:

But Gakuran and Seifuku are life though (` w `)9
Apr 28, 2016 2:03 PM

Feb 2010
plain mc, plain tracksuit = easy self insert?
Apr 28, 2016 5:49 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
What's up with threads talking about mundane stuff in anime as if it were strange? It's just a freaking tracksuit, geez. Some characters wear them, most don't. That's it.
Apr 28, 2016 5:57 PM

Dec 2013
Being a shut-in freak looks good to you, huh?

A tracksuit is both comfortable and cheap. Everything a person who lives on benefits needs. And who the hell wears jeans at home?
Apr 28, 2016 7:59 PM

Oct 2009
LOL I have the same question....
wearing tracksuits makes you stand out if you want to be lowkey or smth, so why wear it? :?

Apr 28, 2016 8:01 PM
May 2015
You know, I've always wondered this myself ever since I saw KonoSuba.

Apr 28, 2016 8:19 PM

Nov 2015
Well I mean they do look comfortable.
It's also perfect for mild weather..
Apr 28, 2016 10:24 PM

Mar 2015
@Z-Dante seriously mundane answer here if you really want to know why...

japan (or country near south china sea in general) has really high humidity no matter what season is.. it feel soo uncomfortable when it's hot but your sweety still sticky in your skinn because it can't evaporate... jersey absorb those sweaty easily especially for people who too lazy to wear undershirt.. even like that, they usually still using undershirt most of times because it's make the comfy become double... wearing jersey even you are not doing any sport is normal thing to do, no one will glaring strange at you, thou it still not common thing to do...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 28, 2016 11:06 PM

Mar 2015
I am wearing tracksuits , even when shopping outside.

Why? I dont care much on how people view me. xD

BTW, its normal to wear tracksuits here.
This salad is salty favored
Apr 29, 2016 1:15 AM

Nov 2009
Thug_Gou said:
wearing tracksuits makes you stand out if you want to be lowkey or smth, so why wear it? :?

People who wear this stuff don't "want to be lowkey". They are either sporty types, or hikkikomori types.
Also, some variations of tracksuit are comfortable to wear at home when the weather isn't hot.
Apr 29, 2016 1:33 AM

Oct 2009
flannan said:
Thug_Gou said:

People who wear this stuff don't "want to be lowkey". They are either sporty types, or hikkikomori types.
Also, some variations of tracksuit are comfortable to wear at home when the weather isn't hot.

OP mentioned Hikkikomoris, so they usually want to be lowkey. Not generalizing anything/one but they really usually are / want to be lowkey.
aaand yes there are also those types of things...

Apr 29, 2016 1:36 AM

Nov 2009
Thug_Gou said:
flannan said:

OP mentioned Hikkikomoris, so they usually want to be lowkey. Not generalizing anything/one but they really usually are / want to be lowkey.

Well, Hikkikomori are the kind of people who don't have a separate outfit to go outside. Because they usually don't. And because buying a new outfit requires going outside.
Apr 29, 2016 1:40 AM

Oct 2009
flannan said:
Thug_Gou said:

Well, Hikkikomori are the kind of people who don't have a separate outfit to go outside. Because they usually don't. And because buying a new outfit requires going outside.

don't they have a shirt and pants/shorts somewhere? That's a pretty common and basic outfit. :V i mean, most people probably have one

Apr 29, 2016 1:48 AM

Nov 2009
Thug_Gou said:
flannan said:

don't they have a shirt and pants/shorts somewhere? That's a pretty common and basic outfit. :V i mean, most people probably have one

Children grow out of things like pants way too quickly.
Also, wearing a shirt when it's not part of a uniform stands out no less than a tracksuit. Most male "civilian" costumes in anime don't include shirts.
Apr 29, 2016 3:03 AM
Jul 2015
They are easy to wear and can be weared several times
Apr 29, 2016 3:45 AM

Jul 2013
_Esper_ said:
I am wearing tracksuits , even when shopping outside.

Why? I dont care much on how people view me. xD

BTW, its normal to wear tracksuits here.
I'm so glad having someone here who thinks like me. Tracksuits FTW.
Apr 29, 2016 3:52 AM

Apr 2014
Tracksuits are comfy and quite easy to draw....
Apr 29, 2016 4:09 AM

Jul 2015
Everybody knows that hikikomoris or whatever they're called don't know how to dress themselves and they're in need of a fashionista helper like me
May 9, 2019 10:28 PM

Aug 2012
Z-Dante said:
So I've been wondering why some anime's MC ( often a Hikikomori ) keeps wearing tracksuits , even when shopping outside. Does real like hikikomoris really wear them like that or something? They don't look very good to me tbh.
Examples :

I prefer jeans and t-shirt over this :/
Probably casual wear one wears around the house. And you go outside if there is chance to rain throwing something like a tracksuit over is fast. I often do that when going shopping. Also it is easy to draw. I do not find it strange at all for guys to do this. We do not spend much time choosing clothes when is no special occasion.
PS based on your answer I am guressing you live in a warm country.
May 10, 2019 12:45 AM

May 2009
Isn't there also an unrelated meme involving Russians wearing tracksuits?

Anyhow I find myself wearing something like that on cold days, too. It helps that tracksuit pants usually have pockets, so I can put my wallet in them even if I need to head out.

On warm days my home casualwear is t-shirt and shorts.

Tentology said:
I wear a tracksuit like half of the time and I certify that they're very comfortable, both for chilling or for sports purposes, which is why you don't ever have to change.

Lazy, I know.
Basically this.

Z-Dante said:
Personally I don't much like school uniforms.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
May 10, 2019 1:11 AM
Aug 2018
I mean it's warm and comfortable what else could you want for
May 10, 2019 1:24 AM

Apr 2012
Interesting thread but let's not forget one important thing, the sociology of the tracksuit.

For characters like Subaru or Kazuma, while in school, it's mandatory to have a tracksuit for PE. Add to that that a hikkikomori is broke, the tracksuit is literally the only thing they have to wear next to their school uniform. Basically it's a sign saying they're drop-outs.
EratiKMay 10, 2019 1:28 AM
May 10, 2019 5:22 PM
Jan 2019
EratiK said:
Interesting thread but let's not forget one important thing, the sociology of the tracksuit.

For characters like Subaru or Kazuma, while in school, it's mandatory to have a tracksuit for PE. Add to that that a hikkikomori is broke, the tracksuit is literally the only thing they have to wear next to their school uniform. Basically it's a sign saying they're drop-outs.
yeah but they aint cheap though most are over 100 dollars any theirs look to be polyester and those are the expensive ones
May 11, 2019 12:43 AM

Jul 2007
Hmmm this thread makes me consider to start wearing tracksuits xD
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

May 11, 2019 12:49 AM

Jan 2009
well hikkikomoris are running away from society anyway lol i might wear that too since im a hikki myself
Oct 9, 2023 7:07 PM

Dec 2017
I also wonder where the trend originated. First time I've seen a loser protag with a tracksuit was Konosuba.

More topics from this board

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Apr 25

74 by epidemia78 »»
7 seconds ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

61 by LenRea »»
22 seconds ago

Poll: » Which season of AOT is your favourite?

MillerEvans23 - 18 minutes ago

2 by LenRea »»
2 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

39 by LenRea »»
3 minutes ago

» What would you choose: Good voice acting with bad translations or Bad voice acting with good translations?

funtime43_tr - 19 minutes ago

5 by LenRea »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.