Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 27, 2016 8:40 PM

May 2015
You've seen it time and time again: talented voice actors reduced to playing the same types of characters over and over again. Kana Hanazawa playing every soft-spoken nice girl. Yoshitsugu Matsuoka as the self-inserty harem lead. Yuki Kaji as the angsty little kid who may or may not be gay. Pretty much every notable seiyuu has a type of character they are cast the most as, even if they have demonstrated they can play other types of roles quite well before. So why does this happen? Why are so many VAs stuck as the same personalities over and over, and do you think it would be better for casting agencies and sound directors to keep typecasting them, or to diversify the characters they play?
KaoruMatsuokaMar 27, 2016 8:45 PM
Mar 27, 2016 8:42 PM

Jun 2012
Is the concept of type-casting that new to you?
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Mar 27, 2016 8:54 PM

Jul 2012
Typecasting is pretty much guaranteed work, for any type of job especially in say an acting field a person wants to build up their experience and get their name out there. Sure they might have their companies eventually try to find them more diverse roles but that's completely up to them on a case by case basis. Work is work, experience and money are gained, so I'd imagine they aren't complaining too much.
Mar 27, 2016 8:56 PM

Dec 2007
The answer should be obvious. There's an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude in any entertainment media. And, if someone is successful doing one thing, they're a known quantity. Thus, someone who's looking for a safer bet will want people to do what they're known for. As such, they tend to get pigeonholed. It's not new. And it's not limited to seiyuu.

I have a copy of Different Seasons, a collection of 4 distinctly non-horror novellas by Stephen King. On the back, it tries to paint such stories as Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption and The Body as scary. The only story in the book that even qualifies as suspense is Apt Pupil. But, King is known for horror.
A similarly misleading synopsis was on Dean Koontz's Tick Tock. Again, the author is known for one thing, but the story goes in a different direction. So, they try and paint it wrong.

Jeff Dunham spent decades trying to get fully recognized as essentially a stand-up comic.

The same thing happens to artists (paint and canvas type), any kind of writer, any kind of actor, directors, producers, and literally anyone else who gets involved in any form of art or entertainment in any way. Heck, it even happens with the management of big businesses. People put their money into things and expect to get it back. So, what is known to be successful will always be favored over the new and experimental.

This is not necessarily bad. It leaves a venue: the low-budget independent one, for aspiring artists and entertainers to branch out. And for those venues, they get talent they otherwise couldn't afford just because those people want to do something different.
Mar 27, 2016 9:49 PM

Oct 2013
ErwinJA said:
The answer should be obvious. There's an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude in any entertainment media. And, if someone is successful doing one thing, they're a known quantity. Thus, someone who's looking for a safer bet will want people to do what they're known for. As such, they tend to get pigeonholed. It's not new. And it's not limited to seiyuu.

Agreed. This is not unique to anime at all. It is just typecasting in the industry.

Seiyuu's have to prove that they can perform a certain type of role well and once they do that role well, others will want to hire them for that kind of role. It's only natural that someone who is good at voicing the villain will be sought after for that role.

Thus like any other industry, only the talented can break away from this phenomenon. It essentially comes down to being talented enough that they can voice multiple types of roles and that they work hard at every opportunity so that different opportunities open up for them. That's why there are few Seiyuu's who voice a wide variety of roles as there are actors in Hollywood that act in different roles.
Mar 27, 2016 9:51 PM

Nov 2014
Also because they have a fanbase that will watch an anime if their seiyuu is featured in it.

Mar 27, 2016 9:52 PM

Mar 2013
typecasting happens when people just can't get enough of dat hanakana moe voice, for example.
Mar 27, 2016 9:57 PM

Sep 2013
What's Nana Mizuki's typeset again? I can't find the words :(
Mar 27, 2016 10:04 PM

Mar 2016
mostly cause they are good the same type of roles? currently watching every anime Yoshitsugu Matsuoka mains :3
Mar 27, 2016 10:07 PM

Sep 2009
I think it's more because the studios/directors want the reliability. In attracting fans and in that they're particularly used to that sort of role. There's even a term for bringing in previously voice actors for similar roles, but I forgot it.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Mar 27, 2016 10:09 PM

Mar 2015
^This remind me of SHAFT. I cant fully enjoy their anime anymore. xD
This salad is salty favored
Mar 27, 2016 10:15 PM
Oct 2014
Heh heh! I'm not surprised you picked Kana Hanazawa as one of the examples of a seiyuu who's gotten typecast. Among her roles:

Mikan from To Love-Ru
Kobato from Boku wa Tomodach ga Sukunai
Kureha in Mayo Chiki
Kusano in Sekirei
Kuzuha in Hagure Yuusha no Aesthetica

She's pretty much your go-to voice actress for younger sisters either literal or figurative.

Then again, she also plays Jessica in Seikoku no Dragonar and Rana in Freezing, definitely NOT the little sister type by any definition.
Mar 28, 2016 9:03 AM
Jul 2018
Some peoples voices just "fit" a certain role. It's unfortunate because they have a lot of talent, but directors will just often say "well, let's assign (archetype) to (VA) here, because (VA) is excellent at playing these kinds of (archetype) roles". Obviously there are VAs who are very versatile and I think they should be given a wider spectrum of roles. I'll definitely agree on HanaKana. Her voice shift when she went full batshit fucking crazy as Nadeko in Monogatari Second Season (the classroom scene) was fucking astounding, if she actually has that much of a knack they should definitely stop assigning her to soft spoken characters alone.
Mar 28, 2016 9:11 AM

May 2012
Two of the seiyuu I most admire, Kuwashima Houko and Sawashiro Miyuki, have remarkably diverse portfolios of work. That's probably because they have a lot of range both as actresses and in the way they can manipulate their voices. They both also project an intelligence in their performances that is often not what directors are looking for in things like LN/VN adaptations.

Kuwashima: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=281
Sawashiro: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=5735
Mar 28, 2016 9:18 AM

Jul 2013
Because their voices fit the characters they're voicing well?
Mar 28, 2016 9:20 AM

Apr 2014
_Esper_ said:
just shaft lmfao every studio does this
Mar 28, 2016 9:37 AM

May 2014
I was surprised to find out that the fabulous Jun Fukuyama played the secret unlockable character Shion in a certain BDSM hardcore yaoi visual novel I was playing called Enzai.

Even more fappable now.

I mean, what? Nothing.
Mar 28, 2016 9:39 AM

Mar 2015
shawnofthedeadz said:
ErwinJA said:

Agreed. This is not unique to anime at all. It is just typecasting in the industry.
IIRC, the last arc of skip beat also mention about this problrm. thou not resolved in anime.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 28, 2016 9:43 AM

Dec 2014
Probably because the directers think that they fit the role pretty well. Though look at Kamiya Hiroshi. He gets quite different roles, Badasses like Levi (AoT) and Law (OP), perverts like Araragi (Monogatari series) and Kiyoshi (Prison School)
Actually nah, it all comes down to what VAs the directors think fit the those characters. Or maybe the Mangaka's also recommend some VAs.
Thinking.....
Mar 28, 2016 9:59 AM

Mar 2015
moodie said:
_Esper_ said:
just shaft lmfao every studio does this
Cause SHAFT is very obvious. Ok, I add another example, I also have this problem with studio Ghibli.
Mar 28, 2016 10:04 AM
Feb 2014
Because that's their forte. That being said, HanaKana has a wonderful voice range and she can do anything from Tsunemori to Onodera to Kobato. It's what makes her among the best in the business and relatively well-known outside Japan's anime community too (she's been cast for J-Dramas as well).

That being said, I'm sure the seiyuu themselves probably don't mind playing the same part. I think they might like exalting those talents, actually.
Mar 28, 2016 3:53 PM

Jul 2013
I think that is because they are usually good at voicing certain characters (like Kugimiya with tsunderes or Matsuoka with harem leads) and because the fanbase associates them with a certain archetype.
I don't see that thing that bad. However, when a seiyuu who does certain roles voices a character who is different of what they usually voice, the results then to be surprising.
Then you have seiyuus like Daisuke Namikawa or Miyuki Sawashiro who can voice you anything.

dizzyur said:
I'll definitely agree on HanaKana. Her voice shift when she went full batshit fucking crazy as Nadeko in Monogatari Second Season (the classroom scene) was fucking astounding, if she actually has that much of a knack they should definitely stop assigning her to soft spoken characters alone.
You should heard her in Akame ga Kill and Tokyo Ghoul. You will be surprised of how well she voices crazy characters.
Mar 28, 2016 4:22 PM

Feb 2012
They were those types of characters in their past lifes so they fit spot on.
Mar 28, 2016 4:32 PM
Sep 2011
_Esper_ said:

Shaft just likes to constantly re-use the same seiyuu for everything. It doesn't matter what show they're adapting or creating, it'll very likely have one of their mainstays in it.
Mar 28, 2016 6:18 PM

May 2015
RLinksoul said:
_Esper_ said:

Shaft just likes to constantly re-use the same seiyuu for everything. It doesn't matter what show they're adapting or creating, it'll very likely have one of their mainstays in it.
KanaHana and Asumin everywhere. Not that it's a bad thing.
Mar 29, 2016 1:19 PM

Oct 2013
Kuma said:
shawnofthedeadz said:

IIRC, the last arc of skip beat also mention about this problrm. thou not resolved in anime.

Yeah, though I think the issue is somewhat resolved now. It happens when...

It is a very common issue so I wasn't surprised to see Skip Beat tackle it. I was also thinking about it when I first posted here.
Mar 29, 2016 1:35 PM

Apr 2008
Maybe the "typecasting" comes from the idea of the "character age range".

Youth, rather than personality/theme. Because hero and villain come in different shape and sizes.

Don't feel like giving a long answer.
Mar 29, 2016 1:37 PM

Apr 2014
Is pigeonholed actually a word people use or is it just me, because I've never heard of it...
Mar 29, 2016 2:29 PM

Aug 2014
lasterrending said:
Heh heh! I'm not surprised you picked Kana Hanazawa as one of the examples of a seiyuu who's gotten typecast. Among her roles:

Mikan from To Love-Ru
Kureha in Mayo Chiki
Kusano in Sekirei

holy shit she played Kusano and Kureha? what???? i didn't even know of this, i'm used to her voicing the MC in a shoujo or something. like Akagami no Shirayuki-hime.
Mar 29, 2016 3:37 PM
Dec 2014
most otakus and anime fans want more of the same. That is why there are so many generic, similar anime.

Same with VAs. They are used to which roles kana hanazawa plays and they like the roles. A change is not wanted. Never change a winning team
Mar 29, 2016 3:41 PM

Mar 2015
plasma38 said:
most otakus and anime fans want more of the same. That is why there are so many generic, similar anime.
it's not limited to otaku/anime fans at all. it's everywhere. not only to seiyu, but every entertainment form. and it's not new.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 29, 2016 3:43 PM

Sep 2009
Because the producers keep making the same anime with the same characters.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Mar 29, 2016 3:57 PM
Feb 2014
plasma38 said:

Same with VAs. They are used to which roles kana hanazawa plays and they like the roles. A change is not wanted. Never change a winning team

Well shit, ever heard of capitalism? I guess you, by that passive-aggressive tone, must think that's the bane of anime itself.

Also, do I need to explain again that Kana Hanazawa has been cast for almost every role imaginable? Are you that misinformed?
Mar 29, 2016 5:34 PM
Oct 2014
katemonster123 said:
lasterrending said:

Mikan from To Love-Ru
Kureha in Mayo Chiki
Kusano in Sekirei

holy shit she played Kusano and Kureha? what???? i didn't even know of this, i'm used to her voicing the MC in a shoujo or something. like Akagami no Shirayuki-hime.

It's surprising what you discover when you start following those "cast" links here on MAL. You get a lot of those "holy shit" moments.

I especially like when I discover voice actors playing very different roles in different shows. My personal favorite: The curvaceous Sena in Haganai shares a voice actress with Nana in To Love-Ru, who's known as the girl who's decidedly NOT curvaceous.
Mar 29, 2016 6:19 PM

Mar 2015
RLinksoul said:
_Esper_ said:

Yeah, it is really easy to notice (I dont know if other people also notice it or not but as for me, "ah, this guy again" xD)
Mar 29, 2016 9:35 PM

Aug 2014
katemonster123 said:
lasterrending said:

It's surprising what you discover when you start following those "cast" links here on MAL. You get a lot of those "holy shit" moments.

I especially like when I discover voice actors playing very different roles in different shows. My personal favorite: The curvaceous Sena in Haganai shares a voice actress with Nana in To Love-Ru, who's known as the girl who's decidedly NOT curvaceous.

oh my gosh i just checked the MAL cast link for her. She doesn't play Shirayuki in Akagami no Shirayuki-hime. That's so weird!! She sounds exactly like her! I can't believe I spent two seasons thinking it was Kana Hanazawa when it was actually some seiyuu named Hayami Saori. i really need to pay more attention to these things.

More topics from this board

» "The anime is better than the manga" you ever heard that one before?

Yuusey - 10 minutes ago

4 by APolygons2 »»
2 minutes ago

» What is the greatest anime crime?

SgtBateMan - 7 hours ago

15 by SgtBateMan »»
4 minutes ago

» Underrated movies

JoeChip - 2 hours ago

16 by APolygons2 »»
11 minutes ago

» Need an anime expert to help answer my questions

CovertSphinx - May 26

19 by Nurguburu »»
14 minutes ago

» Is romance/slice of life the greatest anime genre?

Semester1 - 1 hour ago

6 by Yuusey »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.