Forum Settings
Forums

Animes you didn't expect to become your favorite until given a chance?

New
Mar 10, 2016 11:36 AM

Nov 2014
I at times come across an anime I had never heard of and deliberately avoided because I didn't think I would enjoy until I finally gave it a chance.
Some of my all time favorites were anime I had once dropped but kept hearing so many good things about it I eventually forced myself to watch fully.
Many were building up to something that turned the show into far more then it originally appeared.
Or have an ending that gives you a whole new perspective on the entire series.
Examples of all-time personal favorites I discovered like this would be:

• Bakemonogatari- Originally thought was an all girls K-On! type adventure and avoided. I finally heard so much about it I gave it a watch and was hooked on its art and storytelling.

• Katanagatari- Originally dropped because the art style felt off for me and plot seemed slow. It grew on me wanting to watch more and had a satisfying ending that tied everything together.

• Shinsekai yori- Dropped many times for being slow at first. As the show opened up I began being immersed in it more and more with an ending that made me rethink the whole series narrative.

• Kyoukai no Kanata- Had no idea what it was about and heard many people praising but just as many criticizing it. Fell in love with the art and characters with an ending that created a whole new perspective.

• Zetsuen no Tempest- A diamond in the rough I had never heard of. Ended up providing an epic tale I was not expecting.

So what anime did you originally avoid or drop because of a certain reason and then when finally gave it a fair chance became some of your favorite?

Storm-SageMar 10, 2016 11:50 AM

「 俺を誰だと思っていやがる!」
嵐仙人
Signature | Transience

Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 10, 2016 11:37 AM

Mar 2015
that's devinitely gintama. the first episode is soo fucking slow, and without realize it, it's already grown become my favorites.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 10, 2016 11:41 AM

May 2015
The artwork for Shinsekai Yori didn't appeal to me, and when I heard A-1 Pictures I was out. It was only after I watched it that I realized what I had missed.
Mar 10, 2016 11:46 AM

Apr 2015
As weird as it may sound I have to choose Nisekoi.

Alot of irl friends recommended it and I was just like yeahyeah but after watching it I gotta admit it was pretty good.

Same story goes for SAO but I get shit on that so I'll just be silent about it =P
Mar 10, 2016 11:47 AM

Jun 2013
This is how I felt about kill la kill

I was hearing a lot of negative reviews about the show and started watching some of the show myself and thought it was pretty stupid. But I ended up rewatching the show about a year later and ended up loving it and now its one of my favorites
Mar 10, 2016 11:48 AM

Apr 2013
Hunter x Hunter (2011)
I totally ridiculed it's art style and nearly completely dismissed it as a childish, generic shounen. The only reason I actually watched it, despite my general dislike of shounen is that I just sort of felt like watching a long-running shounen for no reason. I ended up picking HxH after seeing the high score and reading a bunch of the reviews for it.

Ahhh... Is this the blood... The blood of the Dark Soul?
Mar 10, 2016 11:49 AM

Oct 2014
Berserk, for sure, I didn't watch it before because I thought it was just going to be mindless action but then I heard it was more then that and I gave it a try. What an amazing decision, I absolutely love Berserk now, it's my 5th favorite anime of all times and my favorite manga.
Mar 10, 2016 11:49 AM

Oct 2013
House of the Five Leaves - I avoided it like the plaque because the art looked so weird? I didn't like it that much at first because it was slow paced, but then after 3 episodes I became invested in the story. I don't really know exactly why I enjoyed it so much - it could be the audio - but I'd rewatch it anytime.
Mar 10, 2016 11:50 AM

Dec 2014
Shokugeki no Souma/Food Wars for me. I expected it to be another dumb ecchi/harem, but it turned out to be really fucking good. Its funny, engaging, and unlike other ecchi/harems it doesn't have to rely on fanservice to keep viewers engaged. So in that sense its a better No Game No Life. (Souma has the feel of NGNL; Unlike Kaiji (which many people compare to NGNL) which in general I heard is much more serious)

Most of my other favorites I expected to like anyway, just not as much as I actually ended up liking them.
Mar 10, 2016 11:54 AM

Jun 2013
Spice and Wolf, i was how can people watch romance anime sounds so weird and after finished watching it, it became my favorite and i started watching more romance anime. But noting was as good as Spice and Wolf to this day.
Mar 10, 2016 11:54 AM

Mar 2016
For me it's Ping Pong the Animation, I love the storyline of it

Mar 10, 2016 11:55 AM
May 2015
Definitely Stein's Gate. I just thought the first episode was sooo boring. So I dropped it, but later I decided to try it again and oh my god, it's literally my favorite anime now.
Mar 10, 2016 11:56 AM

Jul 2012
Actually none

I've never really had an on/off relationship with something and ended up putting it in my faves. Something must be wrong with it if it couldn't hold my attention.

SSY was the closest to this, but it's slow and super mysterious so I consider it an exception.
Mar 10, 2016 12:00 PM

Nov 2014
I avoided so much One Piece because i didn't like the graphic , and i didn't like the first episode , the story i thinked it was just meh , until i gived a chance and watched 7-9 episodes and convince myself that it's a really good anime and the time it's worth.
Mar 10, 2016 12:00 PM

Apr 2015
Hunter x Hunter 2011, easily. Oh my god... I did not know what I was in for. Started off like a casual little adventure... Shit went downhill from there, but in a good way. ^_^
Mar 10, 2016 12:01 PM

Jan 2015
Only two, honestly.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) - My friend Amy was the first one who recommended it to me, and our anime tastes differ a lot (she prefers long-running shounen/shows dictated by Rule of Cool), so naturally I tried to stay away. Ended up as #5.

Concrete Revolutio - I didn't really avoid this one, per say, just held off on watching it until three episodes aired (but this is what I do for most seasonal shows, except for ones I'm really excited about). I was more or less apprehensive about the first episode, and had mixed feelings about the show until around the half-way point, where I realized that I would most definitely give it at least an 8/10. Ended up giving it that score, and I told myself I would wait until Season 2 before raising it to a 9. After rewatching the first three episodes again, I realized that was a bad idea, gave it a 9/10, and now it's sitting at #9.
Mar 10, 2016 12:01 PM

Oct 2014
Honestly, pretty much all of my favourites are like that.

zombie_pegasusMar 10, 2016 12:06 PM
Mar 10, 2016 12:04 PM

Jun 2015
Surprisingly a lot,

Natsume Yuujinchou - Thought it'll be boring af but I was pleasantly surprised
Barakamon - It kind of looked like your typical slice of life shit but damn I almost died of laughter, great shit
Zankyou no Terror - I've had this anime for a very long time on my ptw and always avoided it since I thought it'll be a waste of time, it ended becoming one of my favorites

And plenty more
Mar 10, 2016 12:10 PM

May 2015
One Piece. I put it off for ages because a) it's over 700 episodes and b) I was put off by the art style for whatever reason; I've actually grown to love it.
Mar 10, 2016 12:10 PM

Mar 2015
Steins gate
I stopped watching after the first 3 episodes. But then a friend of mine said that it is really good so I gave it a second chance and it ended up as my 4th favorite anime
Mar 10, 2016 12:11 PM

Aug 2015
Not just an anime but a genre. I had always thought Slice of life to be boring, slow paced anime based on daily life and for the most part it is but for some reason I rather enjoy it. I might just enjoy the simplicity of day to day life shown on an artistic medium but then again I might just be boring.

The one anime I had absolutely no faith in entertaining me was Hanasaku Iroha but as it turns out it is my favorite anime. Yes, with salt, even crow tastes good.
Mar 10, 2016 12:12 PM
Jul 2018
Hell yes.

~ Zetsuen no Tempest
~ Hibike Euphonium
~ Grisaia no Kajitsu/Rakuen
~ Clannad: ~After Story~
Mar 10, 2016 12:19 PM

Jun 2012
Back when Onani Master Kurosawa had close to no exposure to most people, I came across it on mangaupdates by chance with the vaguest synopsis known to man. It was something along the lines of "'Onani' means masturbation - That's what Kurosawa is good at. Everyday he locks himself in the girl's bathroom on the third floor and masturbates, until one day he gets caught..." Decided to read the manga on a whim and ended up loving it.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Mar 10, 2016 12:33 PM

Aug 2015
Angel beats, because the first 2 episodes were just SoL of which I am never a fan. So i put it into on hold for 2 years, and when I picked it back up, it was a fun ride.
Mar 10, 2016 12:35 PM

Mar 2016
Gakkou gurashi
My friend told me about this anime and sade that it was about 4 cute girls in high school and I gave it chance but did not finished the first episode. It was just to cute for me at that time. But when my friend continued to nag me about it so I complited it and WOW! This anime blow me mind and become one of my all time favorit
Mar 10, 2016 12:37 PM
Sep 2014
Hunter x Hunter - it looked childish.........i was wrong lol. Now my all time favourite show
Mar 10, 2016 12:39 PM
Jul 2015
For me, it was ''Nurarihyon no Mago'' At the beginning, I was bored and I didn't like it. I had put it in my ''On-hold'' and one day i decided to finish it and I really not regret this decision. This is one of my favorite animes
Mar 10, 2016 12:40 PM

Jan 2016
Cross Game. It is the greatest sports anime I have ever seen
Mar 10, 2016 12:45 PM

Dec 2015
HxH & Nichijou. Absolutely brilliant. Never expected much of em, but goddamn i was wrong lol
Mar 10, 2016 12:46 PM

May 2015
Cross Ange. Since it was made by the same person that created Gundam SEED/Destiny, I thought to myself: "Alright, let's see how bad this is going to get." I watched the first episode and I said "Whoa, they really went there." Since Cross Ange was doing something that most anime don't attempt to pull off, I kept on watching. As ridiculous as it was, I was enjoying the hell out of it. And when I finished it, I gave it an instant 10. It was the absolute best anime I saw in 2015, and I am never going to forget it.
Mar 10, 2016 12:47 PM

Feb 2016
I originally wasn't holding high hopes for Oregairu as I had just finished another meh romcom before it, so I was a bit hesitant.

I'm so glad I was wrong.
Doing nothing of importance.

Anime | Manga
Mar 10, 2016 12:50 PM

Feb 2015
Gundam
Lupin III- Started both to educate myself regarding classic series but didn't expect to love them as much as i actually do

Hunter x Hunter- I actually expected to like it but only a bit (at least to give a 8 or 7) and i expected to think it was overated but you know what? No it wasn't overated.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: I just started it basically randomly expecting to see a stupid fight series. Now is one of my favourite things, next to Hideo Kojima's games, Danganronpa, Portal/Half Life, Uncharted, Scott Pilgrim, Tarantino movies etc. It is basically my favourite manga/anime series.

FLCL: Someone said to me that it was random so i expected to be kinda dumb but was surprised with a thought provoking journey with lots of personality and a fantastic soundtrack.
Mar 10, 2016 12:53 PM

Apr 2015
Kaiji and ping pong the animation drove me away at first cause of the weird art style, but omg was I wrong not to have seen them sooner.

Kaiji was like cardio for my brain and heart as it kept me on the edge of my seat every episode, the intensity of this show is seriously like no other

Ping pong on the other hand has one of the most touching character driven stories I've seen. All the characters are likable and you feel for them, which is one of the main things I look for in an anime
Mar 10, 2016 12:55 PM

Dec 2015
For me it's Attack on Titan. I was kinda avoiding it because I had just put it down as a 'super popular for no reason' without really looking into it, but then I gave it a chance and actually it was brilliant (hype for season 2!)
Glad I ended up watching it
Mar 10, 2016 12:59 PM

Jul 2013
If I want to see an anime, I just watch it. If I don't watch to watch it, I tend to nor watch it unless someone recomend me to watch it- Simple as that. However, if you refer to animes I didn't expect to like very much and ended being my favorites, the Monogatari Series and JoJo will be mines.
Mar 10, 2016 1:17 PM
Sep 2011
Hajime no Ippo for sure.

I thought "Sports anime? Why would I care about that?"

Turns out there's a lot of reasons to care about it, one big reason being the main character. He's such a likable mix of meek and determined. He's not an obnoxious overly gung-ho idiot like you see in a lot of shounen anime. He's just a good-natured, reasonably intelligent character.

And of course there's the fights themselves. As someone who despite liking DBZ got really bored with all of the flash stepping and punches so fast that normal humans can't see them, it was kind of amazing to see how well choreographed and animated the fights in HNI are. Every punch is actually shown, every hit has an impact and none of it feels like stock footage.

And best of all it's an anime that actually puts an emphasis on the sport in question, whereas previous shows I've watched like Bamboo Blade are really just slice of life with a sports gimmick.
Mar 10, 2016 1:48 PM

Apr 2010
Tears to Tiara. At the beginning I found it boring, but I'm happy I didn't stop.

Mar 10, 2016 1:56 PM
May 2014
That would be Shirobako for me without a doubt. I went into it expecting nothing after P.A Works made Glasslip, but by the end it became my favorite anime.
Mar 10, 2016 2:04 PM

Sep 2015
The best shows I've seen are the ones I've picked at random without any prior knowledge to it.

Rarity is Best Pony!
Mar 10, 2016 2:19 PM
Jan 2015
Oh defiently Mahouka, I originally only tried it because the cover art and I basically went in blind with no idea what it was about and with no hype.
My Queens

Mar 10, 2016 2:27 PM

Mar 2016
Golden time ! Never thought a romance anime would become one of my favorites considering i mostly prefer romance to be more of a sub-genre in the anime i watch .After that , i also watched sakurasou , and i enjoyed that as well ...
Mar 10, 2016 2:31 PM

Sep 2015
Kill la Kill. I had put it off for months because I had seen a few clips and thought that Ryuko's outfit was just fuckin' stupid, and it was another one of those fanservice heavy pandering anime with no substance to them.

Don't think I've ever been so mistaken about something before.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Mar 10, 2016 2:40 PM

Oct 2014
Hmm..,
- Gurren Lagann
because I am not into mecha and it didn't appeal to me, at first.

- Outbreak Company
it looked pretty standard. Guess Myucel did enough to change my mind.

- Air
because I watched this like... years ago (during the time it was re-ran on Animax or something?) and I was not a KEY fans at the time and I was definitely not into drama at the time.

- K-On! (and whatever moe moe anime that followed)
I only became a fan of K-On! years after the series was done. Originally watched it for music and for a little study I made around anime (especially KyoAni anime.)
Years change my mindset, as I became more open to ideas and imagination.
Watched it again, fell in love to it, beyond the level of superficial and more into the story & the characters themselves.

What else, huh?
Mar 10, 2016 2:43 PM

Oct 2012
Gintama. I tried watching the first ep once. Didn't like any characters and the story was boring.
Loved it after I watched all.
Mar 10, 2016 3:34 PM

May 2014
RWBY, I put it off for ages and then finally starting watching it just so I could bag on a friend of mine that enjoyed it.

Now I spend my days crying myself to sleep and climbing mountains of fanart.
Mar 10, 2016 3:44 PM

Jul 2015
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. I had dismissed it, thinking it was some serious, grim, 2deep4me show that was too aged to be enjoyable for anyone under 40. Then I came across certain... gifs... and started questioning whether it was that serious after all.
Mar 10, 2016 3:44 PM

Nov 2015
Kill la kill: I thought it was one of them otaku pandering echchi shows with nothing beneath its face value. Couldn't have been more wrong.
I was introduced to it by this one particular tentacle Hentai btw..

Shigatsu: For some unexplainable reason I hated it for its first three episodes but it was probably that first concert that changed my mind. I realized that its just so much more than a generic teen romance show.
I also felt like I could relate with Kousei a bit..
Mar 10, 2016 3:46 PM

Dec 2013
Samurai Flamenco. I was told to go in expecting a trainwreck but instead I got dual track drifting and it was incredible.
Mar 10, 2016 3:47 PM

Jun 2015
Ping Pong The Animation, I've finish this anime recently. The art looked funny at first but I got used to it.
Mar 10, 2016 3:50 PM

Jul 2015
haha. holy shit this is me and Clannad / Clannad After Story exactly.

I forced myself to watch it at first and thought it was the worst thing i had ever seen - it ended up being my all time favorite.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 8 hours ago

18 by Absurdo_N »»
4 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

115 by Voila_ »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you have any favorite opening or ending animations?

RobertBobert - 54 minutes ago

7 by Paul »»
8 minutes ago

» Favorite characters you think are Sadist, Masochist, or Switch

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

7 by IpreferEcchi »»
10 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

8 by Zefyris »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.