Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 14, 2016 4:20 PM

Oct 2015
Do you talk about anime with your colleagues? Or do you prefer to keep it to yourself... particularly when you don't know if they are fans of it or not. Not too sure how this kind of thing comes across in a working environment, do people think it's an immature hobby?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 14, 2016 4:21 PM

Sep 2015
Very open. I think my friends hate me nowadays.
Feb 14, 2016 4:23 PM

Feb 2013
me_irl: NSFW

It's all an open center
Opens up and lets the wind lift him away
It doesn't have to feel water
It's just a place that feels right with him

but im curious too... how this kind of thing comes across in a working environment?
TyrelFeb 14, 2016 7:53 PM
Feb 14, 2016 4:27 PM

Sep 2015
Yes, it's not like I'm a lolicon or anything, I'm just a regular anime fan and there's nothing to be ashamed of that.
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Feb 14, 2016 4:33 PM
Jul 2015
I rarely ever initiate a conversation but when someone starts talking to me I always end up talking about anime. I don't know why that's a thing either. Funny enough, it's never a completely one-sided conversation.
I wouldn't hide my appreciation of anime in any case. I don't run around screaming that I love anime but I don't see a reason to keep it secret either.
Feb 14, 2016 4:37 PM

Oct 2012
I will talk if people ask me or talk about it but I won't start a conversation about anime.
Feb 14, 2016 4:40 PM
Jul 2018
I don't have a problem talking about it but I won't initiate.
Feb 14, 2016 4:40 PM
Jul 2018
very open!
but people at school think im an idiot :/

this week a friend of mine - not a friend i dont have friends lol, more like someone i kind of know - asked me if i had watched many series in the holidays, and i was like - yeah, so many series, so many animes!!!!!
and he was like - ew, you watch anime? that's a thing for retards!

but i dont regret a thing. u.u
Feb 14, 2016 4:41 PM

Jan 2016
I'll talk to anyone who's interested IRL.

I talk about it all the time online though.(Even in FB)
Feb 14, 2016 4:44 PM

Mar 2014
No, and not because it makes me look less serious, there just isn't usually a reason to bring it up. I have talked about One Punch Man a bit since a coworker likes DBZ and I think he started watching it, but that's it.
Feb 14, 2016 4:45 PM

Oct 2015
Lightnik said:
I rarely ever initiate a conversation.
Orange said:
I will talk if people ask me or talk about it but I won't start a conversation about anime.
RedTie said:

Looks like that's the safest option...
Feb 14, 2016 4:47 PM

Feb 2015
If someone asked I'd tell them but no one asks.
Feb 14, 2016 4:49 PM
Jul 2015
Appilesh said:
Lightnik said:
I rarely ever initiate a conversation.
Orange said:
RedTie said:

Looks like that's the safest option...

Indeed, if you're not the one who initiates you can always blame the one who did. :P
Feb 14, 2016 4:52 PM

Jun 2015
Nobody watches anime from where I am, so there's no point in talking about it.
Feb 14, 2016 4:56 PM

Dec 2014
I used to be when I was a complete noob with bad taste, not anymore. I'll only be really engaged on an anime-related topic if it's ever discussed, specifically at me. This is mostly though because I've become more introverted in between the progression.
JoJo, on the other hand, is something I'm very open about.
Feb 14, 2016 5:47 PM

Oct 2015
crashinho said:
Nobody watches anime from where I am, so there's no point in talking about it.

This is exactly the kind of situation I'm thinking of. When people around you are into the same thing as you, naturally you will talk about it. But when you don't know the hobbies of everyone around you, why would you/wouldn't you share your passion for anime?
Feb 14, 2016 5:48 PM

Jul 2014
Running out of discussion topics, aren't we?
Feb 14, 2016 6:04 PM

Nov 2014
Yup very open about it, love when guests come in and I'm pumping anime op's on my 75" TV and they're all like wtf? :-)
Feb 14, 2016 6:08 PM

Jan 2016
I do like to talk about anime with my friends that also watch ocassionally or like some. I don't really have a problem with doing so as it's just one of my hobbies. If a friend of mine doesn't watch I still suggest him/her every once in a while to give it a try and watch an anime.
Feb 14, 2016 6:37 PM

Jul 2014
Online: Yes.

Offline, Only if the other party initiates it. I'm open to tell them anyways also.
Feb 14, 2016 6:39 PM

Jun 2014
Never a real reason to bring it up tbh.
Feb 14, 2016 6:41 PM

Jun 2014
I only ask if I think they like anime otherwise I dont talk much about it. I dont try hide that I like anime though and if someone asks me about it I would be happy to talk about it.
Feb 14, 2016 6:42 PM

Aug 2013
If a friend or acquaintance is talking about an anime I have watched then I would join the conversation but I don't start talking about anime randomly.
Feb 14, 2016 6:46 PM

Jun 2014
romagia said:
me_irl: NSFW

It's all an open center
Opens up and lets the wind lift him away
It doesn't have to feel water
It's just a place that feels right with him

but im curious too... how this kind of thing comes across in a working environment?

He'd probably get really weird looks, beat up, arrested where I live.
TyrelFeb 14, 2016 7:54 PM
Feb 14, 2016 6:49 PM

Nov 2015
Only if it comes up during conversation..
Otherwise I don't care if they know or not..
Feb 14, 2016 7:27 PM

Jul 2014
I don't really talk a lot about anime unless the person I'm taking to likes it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 14, 2016 7:36 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
yes lol, even at my normie job that i used to have they knew i fapped to anime girls, and they didn't give a shit, although they were like WTF?

but i only talk about it with other fans
Feb 14, 2016 7:40 PM

Jun 2012
I don't hide the fact that I watch anime. Most of my colleagues know that I watch it due to the fact that I usually respond to the cliche question at work, "what are you going to do tonight?", with "watch some Chinese cartoons."

I don't shove it down anybody's throat that I watch anime, though. And the guys at my work don't fuck with me because they know I can ridicule them way worse than they could ever hope to do with me.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Feb 14, 2016 7:52 PM

Jan 2015
Nope I hardly ever bring up anime, if it's mentioned I'll gladly talk about it but I never bring up anime myself.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Feb 14, 2016 7:57 PM
May 2014
Yes very open where I'm from people don't mind and if they did so what? I can be myself ;) My main friends however don't watch Anime but I do have few friends that do.
Feb 14, 2016 9:40 PM

Aug 2015
Yeah, but not entirely. Unfortunately, Anime is usually misunderstood by those who have never watched any and it is also pretty despised (at least, it is, where I live). Plus, certain persons tend to categorize you at the moment they know you're an anime fan. Thus, I never bring the subject on my own or, at least, really not often. But, if I see some people talking about it, I may join the conversation. Also, if someone does ask me about it for some reason, I won't lie and try to change the subject or act like I do not know what he's talking about.
Feb 14, 2016 9:47 PM

Apr 2015
I would only talk about it with closer friends
but with people i dont know, ill only talk about one piece or pokemon
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 14, 2016 10:18 PM

Aug 2015
Yes, whenever I get to know somebody, that is one of the first things I bring up in a conversation. I don't see any reason to hide it. I want to be open and honest about who I am and how I feel wherever I go.

Feb 14, 2016 10:22 PM

Mar 2015
i am not "hey, look at me, i am anime fans! you have to know about anime". thou i don't hide it either if someone asking about anime..
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Feb 14, 2016 10:32 PM

Feb 2015
these options are just...wow.

"It's something to be proud of"

LOL

i wonder if people who listen to the radio think the same thing. proud to listen to entertainment.

"It makes me look less serious"

why poke fun and/or mock the people who keep their fandom to theirselves? they're doing nothing to anyone, because they're keeping it to theirselves.

for example my dad's a big sports fan, at least in a football and basketball level. and he gets his fill to listening to the sports hosts online and on the radio, and reading articles and looking at the news, etc.

but does he freaking get out his paint, strip himself half naked and get out those ridiculous thumb thingies? even he can't understand how a person can get that involved and then show theirselves in public.

the options are just so biased it made me in a fit. curse you, @Appilesh.
Feb 14, 2016 10:34 PM

Sep 2014
Yes, I make it a point to inform everyone I converse with of my anime watching hobby, so they can recognize the vast difference in our power levels.

Jokes aside, I don't really bring up anime in normal conversation. I guess if an acquaintance brought up anime, I would talk with them about it.
Feb 14, 2016 10:44 PM

Jan 2016
only to my close friends iam open about animes, beacuse some of them are anime fans too, we discuss, sometimes debating, and share each other about particular animes
in my daily life, sometimes i got questions about particular anime and i dont mind to share it
Feb 14, 2016 10:50 PM

Sep 2014
Everyone in my school, even some my closest friends are hypocrites, anything none American or more specifically, anything none western related, are typically shunned. Going to school in southern California and talking about your interests or hobbies that aren't the norm in this society is like going in a full terrorist outfit in a Texan airport.
Feb 15, 2016 12:01 AM

Apr 2013
I actually just talked about it with my colleagues at work because they asked why I'm taking a Japanese course. They were a bit surprised that I watch Japanese cartoons (guess I don't look like the type) but not in a negative way or something. I see no problem talking about my hobbies.
Feb 15, 2016 12:02 AM

Dec 2014
Talk in right time & place. I don't really care tho.

"Wielding one's blade out of duty alone is what it means to be a captain. Wielding one's blade out of hatred is nothing more than petty violence. That is not what we would consider battle."
Feb 15, 2016 12:39 AM

Dec 2015
I don't usually talk about it but if people ask me about it I would talk a lot about it
“The greatest crimes in the world are not committed by people breaking the rules but by people following the rules. It's people who follow orders that drop bombs and massacre villages.” -Bansky
Feb 15, 2016 1:25 AM

Sep 2015
I'll talk about it to those people who I know watch it. I won't bring it up with other people unless they directly ask me what my hobbies are.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Feb 15, 2016 1:53 AM

Apr 2010
I don't tell it... though mosr of my friends love it. Those from my studies... Never asked them.

Feb 15, 2016 2:30 AM

Jan 2016
Mum, Dad, I'm not sure how to tell you this...but, here goes.
I watch anime.
Feb 15, 2016 2:38 AM

Oct 2012
Isuru said:
Mum, Dad, I'm not sure how to tell you this...but, here goes.
I watch anime.

My dad just glosses over the fact I like anime... Sometimes I can tell he looks at me with disappointment. Probably doesn't help that my body pillow is butt-naked side up on my bed when he comes in.
Feb 15, 2016 2:43 AM
Jan 2016
I would say I'm open about it, but I don't show it. I don't go around talking to people about anime and I rarely mention that I watch it. I would talk about anime only with a person that I know is interested in it too, I see no point talking about anime with someone who doesn't watch it, as such a conversation would probably bore them. I'm the same about all the things that interest me really, be it history, games I play or shows that I watch.

All in all I don't want to be "that guy" who won't shut up about things nobody cares about.
Feb 15, 2016 2:44 AM

Sep 2015
I've got no problem talking about it if someone brings it up. That's about it.
Feb 15, 2016 5:28 AM

Feb 2016
I have few friends who watch animes so we talk about it (one piece for example), but yeah I don't talk about animes with someone I don't know for example .
Feb 15, 2016 6:02 AM

Feb 2016
I went for the latter option ("No, I think it makes me look less serious") because;

Anime is just one type of interest amongst many. Now what if you had someone who instead of being into anime was instead super into, say...Kim Kardashian, cars, plane model building, football, One Direction, finances or mountain biking etc and they wanted to talk to everybody at work about their very particular interest?
You'd probably find them a bit weird, obsessive or eccentric etc about their interest right?

Its not that any particular one of those interests is particularly odd but rather its the persons approach to them is (and that makes them be taken less seriously as an individual). Anime isn't something to be ashamed of but its not exactly something to go shouting from the rooftops about either (anymore than you would with almost any other type of interest).

This is why I don't get this whole "I'm PROUD to be into anime!!" approach- it just makes you look odd and obsessive. We're not talking about Gay Pride or some actual important movement here. Anime is an interest but it isn't what makes you you. Some people like anime, some people don't. I love anime but if if I worked with someone who all they wanted to talk about was anime, would that mean I would suddenly have loads in common with them or like them as an individual?

My answer would be not only "maybe not", but actually "probably not!".

This is because the types of fans who obsess over any particular interest like this are usually not the types of people I gel with even if I share the same interest with them (though obviously to a lesser degree). Someone who brings up the subject of anime with everyone any anyone they meet at work could pose various problems (socially/relationship-speaking) because;

A. They're likely to be so into anime that they may try to base a friendship with me on the fact that we share this one sole thing in common (but nothing else).
B. Someone who brings up the subject of anime anywhere they go is likely to only want to talk about anime all the time (and as much as I like anime, I can't talk about it all day every day).
C. The fact that they bring up such a thing anywhere/everywhere etc means that on top of being overly-enthusiastic (in a sort of Aspergers/obsessive interest type of way), they are probably lacking in social skills too (and even though they may be a nice person, they could turn out to be a liability/burden if you were to get to know them etc).

Maybe I sound harsh but having actually had some "friends" over the years who were super-obsessed about certain particular things (even things I liked), such friendships were never particularly enjoyable (and were guaranteed to fade or result in feelings of animosity or ridicule etc).

Ultimately, I've brought up the subject of anime with numerous friends but usually only after I've gotten to know them fairly well. There are some people that I know that without a doubt are certainly not into anime (and so bringing up a discussion about anime would be pretty pointless). As to the friends I did bring up anime with, well, some of them turned out to be into anime as well (while the ones who weren't at least had some basic understanding of what it was all about etc).
Feb 15, 2016 6:17 AM

Apr 2015
Hahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhaahhaaha
Those options though.

I speak about anime to my friends, if someone asks if I watch it I'll say yes.

Normally what proceeds after that is them asking that my hobby is weird and me explaining to them in a calm and collected manner why it's no different to their hobbies. They normally understand by the end.

I get something out of it at the end of the day and so do they.

Grow up and realize people will still think of you weirdly if you like anime, because humans get joy from making fun of others.

We're a fucking shitty race of people.

Have you not seen World War II?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 9 hours ago

35 by Cronosmu »»
3 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

50 by TsutanaiFuun »»
12 minutes ago

» Great Teacher Onizuka

Enn - Mar 21, 2007

10 by TheMechaManiac »»
20 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

67 by Spunkert »»
28 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

33 by deg »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.