Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Would you recommend SAO to someone?
Jan 30, 2016 5:29 AM

Dec 2015
As the title says. Would you recommend it or not and why?

As for myself, i havent seen it yet, still hesitating to do so.
RobiiiiMar 22, 2016 8:21 AM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 30, 2016 5:31 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
If they're new to anime, sure. It's a pretty good introductory anime if nothing else

If they're already an experienced anime watcher... ehhh depends on the person and how seriously you take it
Jan 30, 2016 5:40 AM
Jan 2016
depends on the person, but probably not for someone older than 20-22
Jan 30, 2016 5:40 AM

Nov 2011
Yeah, its necessary.

Jan 30, 2016 5:44 AM

Oct 2012
i would reccomend it if the person has :

played MMORPG games.
watched other game like animes
prefers OP main characters
and good actions with some romance.
My biggest regret is using my real name as my user name.

The continuous pursuit of finding that genuine thing.
Jan 30, 2016 5:45 AM

Dec 2015
Not at first, but if they ask if they should watch it I say yea.

It's not the worst anime I have ever seen so why not? They may even love it like my brother does.
Banner credit to @turnip
Jan 30, 2016 5:47 AM
Mar 2015
If that someone is a teenager, then yes; probably.
Jan 30, 2016 5:56 AM

Jun 2015
Yes. Definitely. Why not?
Seiya0890 said:
But its still disgusting from my point of view, and from the word's point of view, therefore its disgusting.

Wise words.
Jan 30, 2016 6:08 AM

Jan 2015
Probably to my mortal enemy, yeah.

Nah, but in all seriousness, I'd recommend it so someone who's never seen anime or is just getting started. The premise is good, the MC isn't very annoying and the first couple of episodes are actually quite good.
Jan 30, 2016 6:19 AM

Apr 2015
Yes, it's good for a newcomer who just seeks mindless action and neat OST and they will definitely go "OMG best animu ever, Asuna best gril oh myi goud be my waifu"
Jan 30, 2016 7:23 AM

Jan 2016
I Would, Yes. But only the First season at most.
Jan 30, 2016 7:56 AM

Apr 2014
There was this one time I provided a guy with some anime - I gave him Steins;Gate, Oregairu, Attack on Titan, Cowboy Bebop, Code Geass and Anohana... I also slipped in SAO, just to see his reaction. His reaction was - "Dude, all those anime were amazing! Just.... there was one utterly shitty one mixed in... why the hell did you give me that SAO thing?"
That guy is currently my best friend.
Jan 30, 2016 8:04 AM

Jan 2016
Yea Sure. Its good so why not. XD
Jan 30, 2016 8:08 AM

Jun 2013
Yep, it's a good starter for a anime watcher, plus the first half of the 2nd season is enjoyable.
Jan 30, 2016 8:29 AM

Sep 2014
A day doesn't go by, where I don't wish I could go back in time, and kill the POS that dares call him self a author, before he was able to release the biggest abomination in the history of the written word, known as sao.

To Darthbob: Awesome, new comers are the ones that are most easily fooled into accepting that POS, so It's great to know some new comers don't dilude them selves into liking a POS with absolutely no literary merit at all, just because It's one of the first anime they have seen.
ZoltorJan 30, 2016 9:54 AM
Jan 30, 2016 11:00 AM

Oct 2012
Yes, their opinion could be different than mine.
Jan 30, 2016 1:52 PM

May 2014
I recently introduced a friend to anime, I made him watch Psycho-Pass, FMAb, Gurren Lagann, and Baccano, he loved all of them (especially Baccano). He tried SAO on his own, and dropped it at ep7-8. I don't understand why some of you guys (not all, and I'm talking in general) think that a newcomer cannot enjoy good writing / world-building / direction / whatever. If this someone is 14 years old, sure he'd probably like it, but hey, almost everybody enjoy FMAb, and tons of beginners love it, plus this anime is actually pretty good and doesn't insult its viewers' intelligence.

I wouldn't recommend SAO to someone, unless I'd like him to see what a bad anime is. I won't refrain him from watching it, though.
parazeJan 30, 2016 1:56 PM
Jan 31, 2016 10:07 AM

Sep 2009
No, because it's not good, there are tons of better things to recommend, and they'll probably end up finding it themselves anyways.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jan 31, 2016 10:19 AM

Oct 2009
Not only do I recommend watching the anime SAO, I also recommend playing the ps4 game SAO: Lost Song.

In my opinion, SAO is a story of its own, none like other, first of first. I'd put it to the rank of "Lord of The Rings", as anything comes after it will be branded as a 'ripped off' of the original.

If you want to get into an anime where "players got trapped in a computer game", SAO is the best one and should not be missed. I held from watching it due to seeing many negative reviews that it is 'overrated'. I regretted waiting too long, because after starting watching it, it became one of my favorite anime.

I told people and I will say again. Don't mind the reviews, if you think you will like the show, watch it yourself and find out if you like it on your own.
Everyone is worth something. Now, how can you be of used to me? :)
Jan 31, 2016 10:22 AM

Aug 2014
lannieX said:
SAO is the best one and should not be missed.

That's subjective, but Log Horizon may or may not be better for some in terms of "trapped in a game" genre.

@OT
Depends on the person. If it's someone who is new, yeah why not. It's a good anime for beginners, easy to get into and understand.

If it's someone who is experienced though, it would depend. If said person likes psychological animes like Monster, NGE or LoGH, I won't recommend it, but if said person is a shounen lover, then yes.
Jan 31, 2016 10:29 AM

Oct 2013

Thread Moved from Anime & Manga Recommendations to the Sword Art Online Series Board.
Please understand that the Anime & Manga Recommendations board is for users to ask the community for series recommendations or help other users looking for suggestions. For specific anime related questions like, would you recommend SAO, please use the series specific board.

Jan 31, 2016 10:31 AM

Jul 2015
Depends on the person .I'm always looking for more converts to SAOism .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Jan 31, 2016 6:41 PM

Jul 2014
Yes I'd recommend it so that I can rip it apart verbally if they ever bring the subject up.
Jan 31, 2016 7:07 PM

Oct 2014
of course
i would love to have more people joining to mock sao
Feb 1, 2016 11:15 AM

Dec 2015
:0
Feb 1, 2016 11:37 AM

Jul 2015
Sao is the best mmo anime
is better than log horizon and overlord
fight me
Feb 1, 2016 11:51 AM

Dec 2015
If the want that genre then ofc :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 1, 2016 11:57 AM

Sep 2015
If it fits his criteria then why not.
Feb 4, 2016 5:49 AM
Feb 2009
Pretty good anime so why not
Feb 12, 2016 1:48 PM

Sep 2014
Why do people reccomend this to "newcomers"?

To scare them off from their "hobby"?

Reccomend BeBop, Monster, Ergo Proxy, Mushishi

If you think the person is too young, give them Steins;Gate, FMA B, Code Geass, HxH, Death Note, not this shitty animu
Feb 12, 2016 2:22 PM

Nov 2015
Of course.. especially if they are new to anime or are younger. I don't think the show is particularly good but that won't stop me from recommending it. Obviously based on who the person is I would recommend something better or more mature but I have recommended this to people who I feel like would enjoy it for whatever reasons even if it is just to rag on it.
Feb 12, 2016 2:56 PM

Oct 2013
guywholikesanime said:

If you think the person is too young, give them Steins;Gate, FMA B, Code Geass, HxH, Death Note, not this shitty animu

Oh, come on. If there is one thing you can give sao credit for, that is, it is a gate way anime. You can't deny the fact that sao is a popular series that brought a lot of people into the medium.
Feb 12, 2016 3:00 PM

Sep 2015
No. There are far better anime out there someone could be spending their time watching. Even as an introductory anime, there are dozens of better choices.

keragamming said:
guywholikesanime said:

Oh, come on. If there is one thing you can give sao credit for, that is, it is a gate way anime. You can't deny the fact that sao is a popular series that brought a lot of people into the medium.

SAO is one of the earliest anime series I saw when I was getting into anime; I had no preconceptions when I was going into it, and even then I was able to recognise the plethora of flaws this has.

I'm confused why people recommend SAO as a gate-way anime, to be honest.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Feb 12, 2016 3:02 PM
Sep 2014
i wouldn't even recommend it to people who i hate.
Feb 12, 2016 3:20 PM

Oct 2013
ItsMaz said:
No. There are far better anime out there someone could be spending their time watching. Even as an introductory anime, there are dozens of better choices.

keragamming said:

SAO is one of the earliest anime series I saw when I was getting into anime; I had no preconceptions when I was going into it, and even then I was able to recognise the plethora of flaws this has.

I'm not saying its a gurantee that a new fan will like the series. But the series was a huge hit in 2012, [ I wasn't around the anime community in that time to tell how big it was] but it brought in a bunch of new fans in 2012, and its still bridging new fans in the medium. Heck I know more people that like sao over snk in real life. So, I think people are just being totally bias towards it because of how badly they think of it, that they can't see the series in a positive way. Sao is the second most popular series on mal, so the series is still growing no matter how people are making it out to be.

Feb 12, 2016 3:38 PM

Sep 2015
keragamming said:
ItsMaz said:

I'm not saying its a gurantee that a new fan will like the series. But the series was a huge hit in 2012, [ I wasn't around the anime community in that time to tell how big it was] but it brought in a bunch of new fans in 2012, and its still bridging new fans in the medium. Heck I know more people that like sao over snk in real life. So, I think people are just being totally bias towards it because of how badly they think of it, that they can't see the series in a positive way. Sao is the second most popular series on mal, so the series is still growing no matter how people are making it out to be.

I know it's one of the most popular series out there; my comment was more just me musing the 'why' of it, since I can't figure it out.
I find it to be a series that is both over-rated and over-hated.
It isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be, but at the same time I'm genuinely confused as to why so many people like it.

Maybe I'm just more critical than the average viewer though.
FWIW I gave SAO a 4/10, which just means 'not bad, but below average' for me.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Feb 12, 2016 3:43 PM

Oct 2013
ItsMaz said:
keragamming said:

I know it's one of the most popular series out there; my comment was more just me musing the 'why' of it, since I can't figure it out.
I find it to be a series that is both over-rated and over-hated.
It isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be, but at the same time I'm genuinely confused as to why so many people like it.

Maybe I'm just more critical than the average viewer though.
FWIW I gave SAO a 4/10, which just means 'not bad, but below average' for me.

Well, I see a lot of snk haters saying the same thing. That's just how it is. Just saying, you must try and keep a open mind to certain things. I think the Jo Jo series is a horrible cringe fest of a series. But look, a lot of people praise the hell out of it.
Feb 12, 2016 3:51 PM

Sep 2015
Nop, no really.

Even if they're new to anime , I think that are better getaway anime series that I could recommend.
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Feb 12, 2016 3:57 PM

Nov 2012
SAO needs to be burned to the ground. Godammit why do people like this hit? Rely it is unbelievable.
Feb 12, 2016 4:08 PM

Sep 2015
johnyjohny said:
SAO needs to be burned to the ground. Godammit why do people like this hit? Rely it is unbelievable.
Oh, so people still thinks that is cool to hate SAO.
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Feb 12, 2016 4:41 PM

Nov 2012
-Senpai- said:
johnyjohny said:
Oh, so people still thinks that is cool to hate SAO.
Ow srry man i should have been more clear. Why do people like shows with a ruined plot, with the most stupid characters in it. Srry man I'll try to be more clear in the future
Feb 13, 2016 12:23 AM
Jan 2016
Just to give them a good idea of how bad an anime can be, so that they can really appreciate how good anime with actually decent plot, protagonists, antagonists, character development, dialogue, humour, etc. are.
Feb 13, 2016 1:17 AM

Mar 2012
Yeah, sure. I personally think it's a pretty decent show and it's friendly to newcomers so why not? Hell, even if they're not new to anime I'd recommend it to anyone who has an optimistic attitude going into the series. There's a bigger chance of them enjoying it than not. While they are a very loud and obnoxious minority, the people who hate SAO with all their being are just that. A minority.

But if you're knee deep in one of the more hateful communities on the Internet and you don't have any intention of enjoying the show based on its actual merits, I suggest you stay far away. You'll just end making yourself look like a massive tool.

Especially if you're one of those types who's going to JUST NOW pick up on some old shitty meme from years ago and spam anime forums with it like we still live in a time where Gangnam Style is hip and funny and people were making memes out of Mitt Romney.
Feb 13, 2016 1:30 AM

Dec 2015
SeibaaHomu said:
Yeah, sure. I personally think it's a pretty decent show and it's friendly to newcomers so why not? Hell, even if they're not new to anime I'd recommend it to anyone who has an optimistic attitude going into the series. There's a bigger chance of them enjoying it than not. While they are a very loud and obnoxious minority, the people who hate SAO with all their being are just that. A minority.

But if you're knee deep in one of the more hateful communities on the Internet and you don't have any intention of enjoying the show based on its actual merits, I suggest you stay far away. You'll just end making yourself look like a massive tool.

Especially if you're one of those types who's going to JUST NOW pick up on some old shitty meme from years ago and spam anime forums with it like we still live in a time where Gangnam Style is hip and funny and people were making memes out of Mitt Romney.
Lololololololol :D
I like ur attitude
Feb 13, 2016 2:29 AM
Jun 2009
I loved the first half of S1, so yeah probably.

As for newcomers, my goto for them has been Redline for years! It's a movie, so they have little time investment, the soundtrack is amazing and the story quite easy to follow.
(the other one I did was the first season of Yondemasu, but you have to start from the 1st ep and watching only one or 2 doesn't really give much...)
Feb 13, 2016 2:30 AM

Jul 2013
I wouldn't recommend sao, instead, i'd recommend log horizon, it's the same thing done better.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Feb 13, 2016 2:57 AM
Jan 2011
I would recommend it to MMORPG gamers usually. And people who like adventure/fantasy/sci-fi genres. I think the premise of SAO is great, and even though it didn't live up to most people's expectations story wise, I feel it's still one of those must watch animes that will become a classic ten-years in the future. The voice actors are up and coming, and the music score is composed by Yuki Kajiura, as well as having good animation, there's really no reason to not recommend it.
Feb 14, 2016 5:55 PM

Dec 2015
Yes? Why wouldn't I? It's a good anime most enjoy, and the characters and music and plot are all well-crafted. I don't see how it would be a problem recommending this.
Feb 15, 2016 7:23 PM

Oct 2014
guywholikesanime said:

to be fair sao is way closer to the average anime than series like bebop or monster if you recommend those series they will just build false expectations of anime as a whole
Feb 15, 2016 7:25 PM
Jul 2018
Sure, I think it would be a good choice for me to introduce new watchers to anime. Kirito is not my favorite MC, he can be rather annoying, but the story is okay.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Dropping while it's still good ( 1 2 )

SIimyBread - Apr 15

64 by SIimyBread »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2012

705 by amf85 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2012

686 by amf85 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2012

745 by amf85 »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Kirito is the most best realistic character ever created. ( 1 2 )

Zark_42 - Apr 20

85 by LostSpectre »»
Apr 23, 4:42 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.