Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »
Jan 16, 2016 7:05 PM
Jan 2016
I liked the whole episode, the UFO scenes were funny when he got thrown out the window
Jan 16, 2016 10:21 PM
Mar 2015
I watched episode 1 and 2 in succession for this one too, and this is borderline going to be dropped for me. I don't know why, but this one seems like such a waste of a concept.

I like the openings with the science-y stuff, the premise is decent too: supernatural and natural blending together because of a company's virus and an alteration of a human's brain.

But, the execution seems blah to me. Do not get me wrong, I don't really mind fanservice, ecchi, harem, and monster(s)-a-day. However, there are certain things that have potential for this to differentiate itself from your generic and similar type of anime, and they haven't done so, and it irritates me. I'll give it another episode or two, hopefully it will improve, but I am doubtful.

Also, I guess I don't like how they are treating the male MC and it is turning me off. I don't mind him just learning how to summon and getting a cute Marcosias instead of something very over-powered. I don't mind him having the knowledge to be the tactician of the team.

There seems to be too much focus on flashier powers, and the male MC falls into a sidekick role where he shouldn't be be given his knowledge of things. The gag seems to be that the MC is the useless comic relief, and I don't really appreciate it. I wish they would address that issue a little more.

Maybe I am feeling a little fleeced because I half-expected something a little more serious, though containing fanservice-y stuff, and I thought that was a good blend. I just did not get it, yet. Hopefully that will happen soon.
xanth712Jan 16, 2016 10:39 PM
Jan 17, 2016 3:20 AM

Dec 2014
We will see more of those misunderstood scenes I think
Jan 17, 2016 5:36 AM

Mar 2010
Cr7_vi_Britannia said:
you should read this great text
It's stupidly reductive and doesn't actually present an argument.
Jan 17, 2016 2:10 PM
Mar 2015
Cr7_vi_Britannia said:
xanth712 said:
I watched episode 1 and 2 in succession for this one too, and this is borderline going to be dropped for me. I don't know why, but this one seems like such a waste of a concept.

I like the openings with the science-y stuff, the premise is decent too: supernatural and natural blending together because of a company's virus and an alteration of a human's brain.

But, the execution seems blah to me. Do not get me wrong, I don't really mind fanservice, ecchi, harem, and monster(s)-a-day. However, there are certain things that have potential for this to differentiate itself from your generic and similar type of anime, and they haven't done so, and it irritates me. I'll give it another episode or two, hopefully it will improve, but I am doubtful.

Also, I guess I don't like how they are treating the male MC and it is turning me off. I don't mind him just learning how to summon and getting a cute Marcosias instead of something very over-powered. I don't mind him having the knowledge to be the tactician of the team.

There seems to be too much focus on flashier powers, and the male MC falls into a sidekick role where he shouldn't be be given his knowledge of things. The gag seems to be that the MC is the useless comic relief, and I don't really appreciate it. I wish they would address that issue a little more.

Maybe I am feeling a little fleeced because I half-expected something a little more serious, though containing fanservice-y stuff, and I thought that was a good blend. I just did not get it, yet. Hopefully that will happen soon.

you should read this great text

********** said:
I see this argument used all the time but it's never consistent.

So we have the weak "beta" main character that powers up throughout the story, it's also called character development. Many standard shounen series have this type of MC. People bashing it call it ''self-insert/generic/beta/comic relief/useless'' so the so-called "loser otakus" can relate to the character because the MC starts off as a beta loser and gains power and a harem.

Oh no, so let's have an overpowered (OP) "alpha" main character. He's strong from the start so unlike the beta loser main characters, he doesn't have to work his way up the ladder fighting stronger opponents. He's usually upper-middle tier in that he's stronger than most but there are still a few top dogs that could beat him. But yet again it's criticized and called self-insert/generic/gary-stu/shit/nervous/shounen so the so-called "loser otakus" can imagine themselves as a super strong all knowing being. Tatsuya from Mahouka and Rudeus from Mushoku Tensei for example.

So if the main character is weak, it's bad, criticized and called ''self-insert/generic/beta/comic relief/useless''. If he's strong, it's also criticized and called ''self-insert/generic/gary-stu/shit/nervous/shounen''. If he's a loser, it's criticized and called ''self-insert/generic/beta/comic relief/useless'' If he's an alpha harem king, it's criticized and called ''self-insert/generic/gary-stu/shit/nervous/shounen''.

I am not sure if there is a misunderstanding here. I like the the main character and I want him to develop, but it seems that the gag is that he is second rate, and he does not deserve to be considered second rate.

I am not criticizing the main character, I am more annoyed that the series seems to be treating him unfairly because he fades into the background, where he should not be because I think he is a good MC that has potential for growth and development.

The team he has put together seems to get all the spotlight because they can be considered more powerful and flashier than the MC, and I hope that eventually balances out better, that is all.
Jan 17, 2016 2:36 PM

Oct 2013
I just wanna say: "Aaaaaaaaah!" and "Parooole, parole parole!" :p
Jan 17, 2016 3:06 PM

Jan 2015
For the first time I actually like fan service.. :/ Let's see where it takes us from here on out...
Jan 17, 2016 4:28 PM

Jan 2013
TonyTheme said:
..snipped...

Yeah, I'm cutting the quotes because the comments are getting kind of long.

As you're talking about "True" characterization I got a little confused. I feel like you're expecting a little much from the first couple of episodes. Understanding his personality and a little bit of why he acts the way he does is enough for now. Kyoukai No Kanata's MC wasn't explained until 3/4 through the series.

All that's important for us to know right now about his motivation and drive is that he doesn't want to be seperated from Mai for some reason. Regarding his personality, he's not a depressing guy, but an intelligent hardworker with good social skills, and I think that's enough.

I hope his home situation surprises me in a good way.

TonyTheme said:
Cliches show personality, it's just repetitive and predictable ones that usually are a sign of lack of skill and imagination.

What about the four humors? The teenage mutant ninja turtle personalities that tend to show up in every fiction regarding a group of friends. It shows up so often and so many of the different characters are unique and memorable. The honorable one, the smart one, the joker, the hardass. I mean Code Lyoko and Teen Titans had an interesting cast and even they couldn't really escape the four humors. Even so the characters are all memorable even though they stick to these cliches.

Last season we had like 2 fiery red heads and 1 fiery blond. The main girls from Rakudai, Asterisk, and Taimadou. Outside of the reason they had their first fights those 3 heroines, while having very similar base personalities focused on pride and doing things alone were very different. Rakudai's heroine could get along with other people pretty easily, and was surprisingly selfish. Asterisk's heroine had very weak social skills and was surprisingly selfless, and Taimadou's heroine was too serious about her position, and had trouble relying on other people.

Now, I'm not saying they weren't similar, especially since they existed in the same season next to each other, but I feel like calling a character terrible because you can point out the tropes that created that character isn't right.

xanth712 said:

You wanted a more serious anime, so when you saw them going around in high school, not doing life or death battles and doing limbo with deceased telephone poles you were disappointed?

Sounds to me like Steins Gate would've disappointed you then. It has great time travel stuff but it's slightly overshadowed by all the otaku culture.

I don't know. I think you should change your expectations of this anime if you want to enjoy it. Interesting universes are quite literally par for the course in anime. 90% of anime have a unique and interesting setting from my experience so just go with the flow of what they want to do. For instance, Ghost in the Shell is a serious interpretation of how society would change upon mechanization, while Plastic Memories is a half-serious interpretation. A lot of the underlying concepts of both universes are the same, but the author chose the tone he/she wanted to focus on.

So don't think that the setting the world is taking place in isn't being used to it's potential. Give it time to do that on its own. Just enjoy it for what it is.
TitanAnteusJan 17, 2016 4:35 PM
Jan 17, 2016 9:25 PM

Dec 2009
Rururaruri Rurararirararururirirari Rirararururararururararirari

Hoooray more booby-style tai chi~
So much stretching...
Nomnom cliche ero finger sucking lol.

Fun stuff.

All you scrubs with the weird-ass complaints. Anime is made by japan, for japan. By akiba, for akiba first and foremost. If you don't like it, don't watch it. Anime has a strong tendency to be simultaneously deep and philosophical, while portraying itself in a lighthearted and nonsensical fan-servicey manner.
So it's serious and it's not serious at the same time. Get used to it.

I wanna see more Kurumi~
GenesisAriaJan 17, 2016 9:30 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Jan 17, 2016 10:00 PM

Oct 2008
Damn that flexibility exercise by Mai!
how amusing...the full name of Ruru.
3/5.

Jan 17, 2016 10:42 PM

Dec 2012
That fan service :). The story didn't progress but it's entertaining.
Jan 18, 2016 1:47 AM

Jan 2015
Better than the first episode.
Best girl is black hair girl, the way she licked that finger tho I got fucking HYPED
3/5
Jan 18, 2016 3:13 AM

Jun 2015
Not bad, this was actually fun to watch. The full name scene though lol.
I feel sorry for Haruhiko for being 'useless' compared to the other girls, hope he will develop more abilities in the future
Jan 18, 2016 8:08 AM

Aug 2013
I still like the cool OP song.
That was some awesome fighting scenes..
I hope there will be a chance for Haruhiko so shine though.
It's funny but getting treated like a sandbag all the time ain't fun.
Btw that was hot.. Reina-chan totally best girl right now. xD
Kinda reminds me of Charlotte.. cancel the drama.
Jan 18, 2016 2:22 PM

Jun 2008
I really like Haruhiko and i think he deserves another anime.
Jan 18, 2016 5:05 PM

Aug 2010
2/5 Its settled then.

I like Kyokai no Kanata, but this one really just a fanservice show after all, with nothing else worth KyoAni show.

Even HaruChika is more like KyoAni at its best with Hyouka style than watching this.
Jan 18, 2016 8:44 PM

Apr 2015
that dog reminds me to the cat from Chuunibyou...
ok show by the way...
Jan 18, 2016 10:04 PM

Nov 2012
I really don't know. I feel that this anime is stalling something big. It feels like I wasted 22 minutes watching this episode. Not much happened to say the least. I bet that if we skipped this episode, the anime would've done fine later on.

Some innocent fan service we have here from Ruru and the other girls.
I believe that unless you know for sure that you don't like a concept, you should keep exploring it. Whether it be characteristics of people or a genre of some sort, you never know if you don't like it until you've seen quality work corresponding to that genre. Keep exploring until you've found something you enjoy, or something of quality. Then you know what's bad, what's good, and what isn't for you.
( ・ㅂ・)و ̑̑ Everyday life.
Jan 19, 2016 3:13 AM

Mar 2015
I still don't get the part where she have to fondle her boobs to seal the demons other than fanservice.

It was kind of funny in someway, but it's not that wow. I guess I'll stick to it some more because Hayami Saori's character is quite likable in this anime.

Jan 20, 2016 5:10 AM
Dec 2009
All the stretching made me thing this was Ani-Tore EX or something :P

Also the little fairy phantom really reminds me of Sumomo from Chobits. Her outfit, behavior, and "comedic" lines... everything, haha.
Jan 20, 2016 5:24 AM
Jun 2015
If you want to see something shocking about this series go to this link:
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 20, 2016 5:59 AM

May 2009
HanafiBouchebout said:

Fake spoilers. Besides anime adapts only first volume so whatever happens in second is meaningless for anime.
Jan 20, 2016 6:22 AM
Jun 2015
bastek66 said:
HanafiBouchebout said:

Fake spoilers. Besides anime adapts only first volume so whatever happens in second is meaningless for anime.

WTF they're going to adapt only one volume in 13 episodes, now this is a bit unbelievable I mean most (13-14) episodes Animes tend to adapt 03 or 04 volumes and even 06 like in Taimadou Gakuen 35 Shiken Shoutai and Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut, did you read the Synopsis(especially this part Is the world the real thing...? Or is it a mere phantom...?) plus if what the whole volume 02 is about volume 01 being a mere illusion then what's the point of watching/Adapting this Anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 20, 2016 6:33 AM

May 2009
HanafiBouchebout said:
WTF they're going to adapt only one volume in 13 episodes, now this is a bit unbelievable I mean most (13-14) episodes Animes tend to adapt 03 or 04 volumes and even 06 like in Taimadou Gakuen 35 Shiken Shoutai and Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut, did you read the Synopsis(especially this part Is the world the real thing...? Or is it a mere phantom...?) plus if what the whole volume 02 is about volume 01 being a mere illusion then what's the point of watching/Adapting this Anime.

They did same with Kyoukai no Kanata. Anime original scenes and anime original characters (like Ruru and Kurumi).
Also that about being illusion is fake.

What is point of watching any anime if you forget about it eventually?
Jan 20, 2016 10:24 AM
Jun 2015
bastek66 said:
HanafiBouchebout said:

They did same with Kyoukai no Kanata. Anime original scenes and anime original characters (like Ruru and Kurumi).
Also that about being illusion is fake.

What is point of watching any anime if you forget about it eventually?

Now, that is true so thank you for correcting me :)
Jan 20, 2016 3:47 PM

Nov 2011
This show isn't too bad so far. Mai's outrageously sized boobs and groping is pretty random and unneeded lol
Jan 21, 2016 7:17 PM

Jul 2012
This show's been really fun. Reminds me of Haganai in a way :)
Jan 23, 2016 9:28 PM
Aug 2015
Jerkhov said:
Is Marchosias an alternate universe dog version of Chimera from Chuunibyou?

mmm, look similar, maybe a reencarnation...

CLBGM said:
> She's called K O I T O
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Their speeches made me cringe. Average episode.

if you know what is the spanish translation for koito f***
Jan 26, 2016 1:40 AM

Sep 2013
I hope Kyo Ani have better way again
Jan 27, 2016 6:07 AM

Sep 2014
Mai stretching *^*
Dat finger sucking dayum
The plot is strong with this one~
Koito chanting was pretty silly, nice to see some more of her though
Jan 27, 2016 3:20 PM

Dec 2015
A fun episode, and we find out more about the girl with the headphones. Second part was funny, when he summoned the phantom, I was expecting it to mess up but not a cute dog with wings xD

Jan 28, 2016 1:01 PM

Jan 2014
... mai penis is erect
Jan 28, 2016 1:05 PM

Oct 2013
HaXXspetten said:
Mai should just get her own hentai anime already smh

Onii-chan knows.

Mai's legs are beautiful. Oh man, I can't remember the last time I was so consistently enthralled by fan service. The way they execute it is marvelous, just marvelous.

The rest of the shit is pretty good too!

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jan 30, 2016 6:58 AM
Dec 2012
It's like this anime doesn't take itself seriously, even the UFO sweat when He summons a Dog with wings... lol Those girls keep punching him out of the window and how the fk he's not dead yet. Minase is quite cool but her chant is silly, it doesn't fit her. But still not much about her is known. Call me a lolicon or something, I'm still waiting for the little girl with teddy bear to have some screen time. Cause she's so cuteee.
GBSHITMALANDGNJan 30, 2016 7:02 AM
Jan 31, 2016 5:44 AM

Oct 2014
Rururaruri Rurararirararururirirari Rirararururararururararirari.

Couldn't help but wonder how many tries it took her to say this without messing it up. :)
Jan 31, 2016 6:13 AM

Jan 2013
newagehatter said:
Rururaruri Rurararirararururirirari Rirararururararururararirari.

Couldn't help but wonder how many tries it took her to say this without messing it up. :)

Hehehe. Japanese voice actors are awesome.
Jan 31, 2016 7:15 AM

Oct 2014
TitanAnteus said:

Hehehe. Japanese voice actors are awesome.

Haha, awesome! And whoever made those subs for it too!
Feb 5, 2016 3:43 AM

Dec 2012
Rururaruri Rurararirararururirirari Rirararururararururararirari is apretty damn long name lol
she's kinda like Puck from Berserk lol
The number of times Haruhiko was thrown out was classic Kyoani lol, repetitive but entertaining.

You can hate it for being ecchi all you want, this shit is pretty entertaining.
Feb 21, 2016 10:51 AM

Feb 2016
this episode was alright, definitely better than the first episode. the part with the dog was hilarious, and so was the full name scene. i found the "break, break, break! tune, tune, tune!" chant to be really annoying, but i'm sure i'll get used to that. i hope the little dog gets more screen time. he's super cute. <:
Feb 25, 2016 1:28 PM

Jul 2009
Marchosias! LOL it was so fun!
Mar 4, 2016 4:36 PM

Oct 2012
I dunno, this episode didn't really work. There were many cliches again but I can't say it was really fun (which is bad when you are using cliches).

I already hate Minase, her chant was very annoying and her rejecting attitude is so obvious (=make her not very interesting character)

Story-wise this anime is full of logical plotholes (why he did summon new phantom for example when their goal is to banish them). It's almost of average fanfiction quality. It realy feels like a mixture of everything cool but it slips into mediocrity due to it. The way they employs fanservice and borrows things from other animes (Psycho-Pass, Monogatari or Shakugan no Shana this time) just means that this show can't really stand on its own.

Yehart said:
I concur.
Her voice was totally unexpected. I expected the voice those enigmatic, mysterious and quiet girls have tbh.

For me, she sounds a bit like HanaKana in Nisekoi, or at least she's trying it. Truth to be told I'm also not totaly convinced this fits her character the best.
Mich666Mar 4, 2016 4:40 PM
Mar 9, 2016 8:10 AM

Dec 2013
you threw him out of a window four times in a row, but suddenly you're really concerned about the tiny papercut on his finger?

also, doing stretching exercises in the middle of a classroom because hurr durr

fuck off.
Mar 12, 2016 11:51 AM

Jun 2015
I like how this show decides not to be taken seriously and is just silly and entertaining. That alone makes it better than Grimgar already.

Cool fight scenes and plenty of funny moments. Good episode.

I'm beginning to really wonder why this series isn't tagged as ecchi.
Mar 21, 2016 12:12 AM

Jun 2014
I'm really not sure what I'm supposed to say about this show. The colors are pretty, the spell effects are nice. The comedy is grin and chuckle worthy. The fan-service is meh. I'm not really a fan of the service anyway.
I am a sucker for running gags though.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Apr 4, 2016 9:54 PM

Nov 2012
Introducing the new character, Koito; seems to he whole lone wolf trait going on in her.

Mai streching is the highlight of the episode.
A city's greatness is determined by the speed of its internet connection.
Apr 23, 2016 4:13 AM
Jan 2012
I find it pretty humorous that despite being thrown out of a two story building window several times, the first thing Reina asks him after she sealed the phantom was whether his finger was okay.
May 3, 2016 10:56 AM

Mar 2012
Oh my gosh, the little phantom dog is so cute. I hope that he sticks around for the whole series.

Also, was I the only one reminded of the dude in FMA with the ridiculously long name with Ruru told us her full name?
May 4, 2016 11:57 PM

Jul 2014
DreamingBeats said:
-Trippwire- said:
Mai has a mole on her left inner thigh...

>main character explaining about stuff
>viewers only paying attention at the girls thigh

I think you mean
- main character explaining about useless stuff
- cameraman got bored and found something to keep the viewers from falling asleep during MC's rant. Fixed.

Episode was ok. Kinda boring. Considering I've only watched two episodes I can say this: Without fanservice this Anime knda sucks. Thankfully I'm using this Anime to kill time for Attack On Titan S2.(To make the wait feel less longer than it might actually be)
I play video games. You should play a video game because you read my signature.
Jun 6, 2016 12:19 PM

May 2012
Another very lovely episode! That ending was great! But I do wonder what that device is.
Oct 22, 2016 9:27 PM

Sep 2013
Koito thought she was a special snowflake but got rekt XD
Pervy UFO ayakashi causing problems and Haruhiko using his summon ability :)
Device will bring trouble :(
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Who is the most attractive Musaigen no Phantom World character?

Shizuna - Apr 16

16 by shawnfoster »»
Apr 17, 9:13 AM

Poll: » Who do you think Haruhiko should end up with? ( 1 2 )

Matsurichan - Feb 14, 2016

73 by Gutzdeep42 »»
Nov 20, 2023 6:16 PM

Poll: » Musaigen no Phantom World Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2016

235 by esolcdneirf »»
Nov 17, 2023 11:10 PM

» How was it?

kurumidesu22 - Nov 2, 2023

20 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Nov 4, 2023 5:41 AM

Poll: » Musaigen no Phantom World Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2016

240 by Jonas-K »»
Nov 2, 2023 11:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.