Forum Settings
Forums

What do you think are the principal problems of modern anime?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 13, 2016 6:48 AM

Nov 2009
worldeditor11 said:
Anime fans themselves who either don't contribute or have vague ideas on what they want.

It sure isn't a fan's job to know what he/she wants.
How can you know you wouldn't like something unless you've seen at least some of it?
Queen's Blade looks like a perfect formula for success from the outside. How did it manage to turn out that bad?
Jan 13, 2016 6:51 AM

Nov 2009
gabrielrroiz said:
flannan said:

I have watched most of the anime mentioned, and I feel the comparison is quite unfair, as those shows span quite a number of years.
Still, it would be nice if somebody gave examples of variety of modern fantasy anime. Or just a list of recent fantasy anime so that I won't have to look for it.
For example, Shiawase no Pan is quite unlike other fantasy anime. Maybe similar to Shukufuku no Campanella a bit. Maoyuu is another memorable one (and it's actually based on a LN).

Shingeki no bahamut is a modern fantasy anime and it is quite great actually so i think this comparison is quite unfair

Speaking of variety, Dog Days and Overlord are both fantasy anime. That's about the only thing they have in common.
Jan 13, 2016 6:51 AM

Feb 2011
their duration
there are some animes which work in a 13 or 24 episodes format, but those are most often the original ones designed from the start to be that long
with most adaptations instead those formats cut the story having hardly ever a satisfying ending, but that also happens cause anime adaptations are started before the source reaches a consistent content size
i think it would be better if there were more original animes, not adaptations, but dunno how much that is only a problem of modern animes

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Jan 13, 2016 7:00 AM

Nov 2013
Lack of money I'd say.

If money was no issue, companies didn't have to face bankruptcy, animators didn't have to be paid like slaves, and directors and writers could take more risky steps in terms of original works, and adaptions of unpopular media.

I'm not too dissatisfied with the situation. I can appreciate most things put out nowadays. "Quality" stuff will come out too, even in smaller amounts. Crowdfunding is also starting to get some more attention, and I reckon in the future (might take a long while though) we might be able to see some more "risky" shows helped by crowdfunding.
Jan 13, 2016 5:27 PM
Nov 2014
flannan said:
El_Leon_De_Oro said:
You are right we need more Sci-Fi...and less slice of life about cute girls doing cute things.

How about cute girls doing sci-fi things? I'd like more of these kinds of shows.

No sorry, it obviously be or will turn into an anime of: cute girls doing AWFUL things (AKA cute girls crying, killing people, suffering, etc.)
Jan 13, 2016 5:31 PM

Mar 2015
El_Leon_De_Oro said:
flannan said:

How about cute girls doing sci-fi things? I'd like more of these kinds of shows.

No sorry, it obviously be or will turn into an anime of: cute girls doing AWFUL things (AKA cute girls crying, killing people, suffering, etc.)
ehh, it's already exist.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/1177/Alien_9

Ckan said:
1. lack of funding
2. anime's niche market
3. superabundance of adaptations undermining animator creativity
4. financial realities
5. money
i think this sum up pretty well.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."

Jul 2012
amateur said:
As a example I tried giving some recent sports related series a try,namely: Kuroko No Basket, Diamond No Ace,Yowamushi Pedal.

But they are simply just not good, and i'm not even trying to compare them with the classics of past generations, its just that they cant keep you interested no matter how much I try and they have this invisible line they follow to the teeth.

Like enough already with the yaoi undertones,enough with all the undermining the main character and making the supporting characters so much better in every possible way,enough with making absolutely everything about the series center around the playing-field WHEN THEY AREN'T EVEN PROFESSIONAL SPORTSMEN,its set in high school settings its not a actual high level field where it really is "do or die" kind of mentality and situation.Enough with the instant power-ups and making them set new world records each week.
But then they push the "oh they're a team" even if we barely see them interact on a personal level to actually set up a solid bond between them,its all just superficial at best.
Daiya no Ace is definitely a classic and 8+/10 material but the other two are not as good because of various factors.

It's not as if older sports Anime are better as a whole. You have less than great shows like Whistle!, Over Drive, Aoki Densetsu, and Moshidora.

I don't really see any issue with the abuse of the "teamwork" trope. Power ups are pretty bad if overdone though, specially in Prince of Tennis.

Better recent sports Anime include:

Chihayafuru
Baby Steps
Haikyuu!!
Ginga e Kickoff!!
Big Windup!

but oh no, if there's more than two guys, IT MUST HAVE YAOI UNDERTONES OH NOOOOOOO IM SCARED AHHH

Nov 2008
The asshole "fans" they create are the only problem right now.

if I had to be honest, I could do with LESS incest lol

Jan 13, 2016 5:33 PM

Jul 2012
Chiibi said:
The asshole "fans" they create are the only problem right now.

if I had to be honest, I could do with LESS incest lol
you can choose to not watch them??
and there isn't that many honestly

other than the shitty imouto trope they keep on rehashing in harem shows
Jan 13, 2016 5:33 PM

Oct 2012
The fans, most definitely the fans.
Jan 13, 2016 5:34 PM
Mar 2011
the lack of a good long running sports anime thats a continuous runner
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jan 13, 2016 5:34 PM

May 2012
The lack of originality and creative risk. Also, japanese fans buy the bad shit most of the time. INB4 japan apologists give me shit, "but it is for them u r not being grateful. " I don't care. I am sure there are japanese fans who feel the same way as me.
Jan 13, 2016 5:35 PM

Jul 2012
DateYutaka said:
diamond no ace?????

well, it have a break between ep 75 and ep 76 i guess
Jan 13, 2016 5:36 PM
Mar 2011
PoeticJustice said:
The lack of originality and creative risk. Also, japanese fans buy the bad shit most of the time. INB4 japan apologists give me shit, "but it is for them u r not being grateful. " I don't care. I am sure there are japanese fans who feel the same way as me.

lol mal mlost agree with japanese otaku miius a few show a Japanese otaku the top 1000 anime and you will se large agrewmnt wi mal top 1000 anime
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Jan 13, 2016 5:36 PM

Jan 2008
Because most modern anime is used to advertise its source material adaption rather than be a full adaption.
Jan 13, 2016 5:37 PM

Jul 2011
The fans complaining about the current state of the industry
Jan 13, 2016 5:37 PM
Mar 2011
Mayuka said:
DateYutaka said:
diamond no ace?????

1 i can name 4 from the golden age [ o use golden age as the post ww2 golden of Japan but golden age of anime ]

Jan 13, 2016 5:38 PM

May 2012
DateYutaka said:
PoeticJustice said:

lol mal mlost agree with japanese otaku miius a few show a Japanese otaku the top 1000 anime and you will se large agrewmnt wi mal top 1000 anime

let me see the list please. much appreciated.
Jan 13, 2016 5:38 PM

Jul 2012
DateYutaka said:
Mayuka said:
diamond no ace?????

1 i can name 4 from the golden age [ o use golden age as the post ww2 golden of Japan but golden age of anime ]
were they all airing at the same time though????????????
Jan 13, 2016 5:40 PM
Mar 2011
PoeticJustice said:
DateYutaka said:

let me see the list please. much appreciated.

just look at the topic if on top sellers on mal alot of them are alos popluar here and right rated too

Jan 13, 2016 5:41 PM
Mar 2011
Mayuka said:
DateYutaka said:

a few were yes cause one began druong the ruun of the other inmost cases

Jan 13, 2016 5:44 PM

Jul 2012
DateYutaka said:
Mayuka said:

a few were yes cause one began druong the ruun of the other inmost cases

wow kill me

i'd love to watch all of the shows you hype up but they're not subbed :((((
Jan 13, 2016 6:12 PM

Nov 2014
Modern anime is mostly fine. It could probably benefit from more variety though. There are more types of anime today than there used to be, but some genres and topics haven't been explored enough, or at all.

FreedChickens said:
Lack of mexican and italian adaptations, tired of seeing the japanese culture in anime

Not sure if you're joking, but I'd love to see more anime like Michiko to Hatchin.
Jan 13, 2016 6:16 PM

Jan 2013
Mayuka said:
nothing

they're fine the way they are

You. I like you.

-Elevated- said:
3DCG in my opinion is a big problem for modern anime cause it looks crappy and doesn't remotely fit the medium's style

They've been using CG to help make backgrounds since the 90s back in the Tenchi Muyo days. Back then there were like 5 animation studios and every season there was like 8 or 12 shows. 4 of them targeted at kids. The money came back to a few people and animators were able to shove a lot of money into each individual project. Even then, they ran out of budget when it came time to animate backgrounds and shows stayed away from breaking terrain because it was too hard to do. 3D came along and literally fixed all that. Animators could focus on the fun part of animation. The people, expressions, and if they had a passion for it, machines.

Then anime became popular, more studios came out and the money thinned out. Animation studios are now making the most out of their time and money, by focusing on characters and expressions while relegating 3D to things that need to be consistent and are usually unmoving.

They're finding a good balance since 3D is harder to learn than 2D. For instance, Parasyte, the maxim had a TON of 3D. Anime will never go full 3D though. They're being supported by a niche viewing audience instead of a mass market.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill is basically what I'm getting at. Anime as a whole's style is developing in a way where it's still vibrant and colorful, while 3D is the support structure. Fully 3D anime do exist, but that's not cutting in to 2D. It's 2D = anime + 3D not, anime = 2D + 3D
Jan 13, 2016 6:20 PM
Jul 2018
Females used in Anime don't feel the way they were used in previous Anime.

Too much moe.

Too many stereotypes.
Jan 13, 2016 6:20 PM

Nov 2014
Friends and fun.
In most Anime these days you're constantly reminded that fun things are fun, and those friends are friends.
Ugh!
Jan 13, 2016 6:21 PM

Sep 2013
The entitled fans.

Needs more war and militaristic anime too, like a Alexander The Great anime about how he conquers places.
Jan 13, 2016 6:23 PM

Nov 2011
not nearly enough shoujo / josei anime
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jan 13, 2016 6:25 PM

Jun 2015
AiQ said:
Lack of money I'd say.

If money was no issue, companies didn't have to face bankruptcy, animators didn't have to be paid like slaves, and directors and writers could take more risky steps in terms of original works, and adaptions of unpopular media.

I'm not too dissatisfied with the situation. I can appreciate most things put out nowadays. "Quality" stuff will come out too, even in smaller amounts. Crowdfunding is also starting to get some more attention, and I reckon in the future (might take a long while though) we might be able to see some more "risky" shows helped by crowdfunding.

This.

If only the industry thrived better, then maybe more risks would be taken.
Jan 13, 2016 6:30 PM

May 2014
My signature, as always, is the answer.
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Jan 13, 2016 7:29 PM

Apr 2013
There's more garbage throw off anime being made that is designed to sell well with otaku culture than there used to be and less risks are taken, however there are still many good anime being made even if some people do not believe so.
Jan 13, 2016 7:45 PM

Oct 2013
King_Oriax said:
There's more garbage throw off anime being made that is designed to sell well with otaku culture than there used to be and less risks are taken, however there are still many good anime being made even if some people do not believe so.

Funny that those otaku series are selling like crap these days. Goes to show you that a lot of people even the otakus are getting tired of the same thing over and over.

Me personally, I feel modern anime is in the "fine" category, we get a lot of boring/average series, but we still get a few great series in the mix.
Jan 13, 2016 7:51 PM

May 2013
the romance doesn't develop enough - it stops at flirting, the main characters are too stupid it's just annoying (SHE OBVIOUSLY WANTS THE D HOW CAN YOU BE THAT DUMB), they are overly polite - if she's gonna flaunt her tits in your face just have a grab at it already JESUS. Not enough cool action either. I want to start knowing my characters more - what's his favorite color? Pepsi or Coke? Why DONT KNOW THESE THINGS WHYYYYYYYYYYY!!
Jan 13, 2016 7:53 PM

Nov 2008
Mayuka said:

other than the shitty imouto trope they keep on rehashing in harem shows

Yep yep, that is the trope that must die. lol

not nearly enough shoujo / josei anime

This is also true. though I don't care about josei anime, really.

Jan 13, 2016 9:00 PM

Apr 2014
They seems to forgot the art of "milking". It is the only gripe I had with the industry nowadays.
It seems like they didn't put any effort in making money and just making adaptation without any further intentionn than promote the source material.
The only production company that still master the art of milking that I know is Toei, Type Moon and Notes, Bandai(Sunrise) and Monogatari Production committe whoever they are.
It's kind of silly and stupid to me when I saw a huge selling title didn't get another adaptation without any particular reason lke Toaru, NGNL, Mahouka, Vinland Saga and the likes.
Jan 13, 2016 9:13 PM

Mar 2008
tr1ckst3r said:
It's kind of silly and stupid to me when I saw a huge selling title didn't get another adaptation without any particular reason lke Toaru, NGNL, Mahouka, Vinland Saga and the likes.

But Vinland Saga?

ichii_1 said:
Needs more war and militaristic anime too, like a Alexander The Great anime about how he conquers places.
Maybe not what you're looking for, but the Alexandros manga might whet that appetite. More a biographical than a conqueror's epic though.
Jan 13, 2016 9:39 PM

Apr 2014
1) T&A
2) creatively backrupt
3) funding
"You had no free will, you chased your vices along the same path as all of the others." - Shikieiki Yamaxanadu, Diamond in the rough
Jan 13, 2016 9:48 PM

Mar 2014
Poorly executed, inappropriately timed, obnoxious fanservice. Accidental groping, costumes and character designs that are completely inappropriate it their setting, this is usually females, but so many shows have a main female character who is inexplicably hot and scantily clad. Many of you might question why I have a problem with hots girls, but when a character is designed with purely fanservice in mind, their design is not based on the setting, it doesn't give us a sense of the type of person they are or group they're associated with, the costume is often alien or jarring, failing to be distinctive. Basically, it's bad character design, and it annoys me every time I see it.

Also, highschoolers. Why is it always highschoolers? In nearly every show, it's either a school setting, or they come u with some reason for the main cast to be teeagers, or they don't, and just expect the audience to accept a poorly conceived premise. This one isn't that big of a deal, but diversity would be nice.

Comedy is highly subjective, but chibi gag humor, overreaction humor (is it supposed to be funny?), anything like that. I'm sure there's also a huge cultural difference, so maybe Japanese people find it funny.

Relying on a dramatic presentation rather than earning it with it's characters. This is more an issue of badly written characters, but the number of scenes playing hopelessly melancholic music and characters bawling is obnoxious. This isn't a problem if it's genuinely sad.

Those 4 things in some combination will usually get me to drop a show.

Unfortunately, it's just the market, studios need to cater to these things.
merryfistmasJan 13, 2016 10:28 PM
Jan 13, 2016 10:10 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Z-Dante said:
  • Gay characters.
  • Overused Oppai service

I'm just talking about this season. Most well-known modern anime doesn't have much problem to point out.
lel someone is mad because the MC of Haruchika isnt straight.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 13, 2016 10:10 PM

Apr 2014
Ckan said:
tr1ckst3r said:

But Vinland Saga?
well, Its just a tiny little wish that I always keep in my heart...
Jan 13, 2016 10:20 PM
Nov 2014
Kuma said:
El_Leon_De_Oro said:

ehh, it's already exist.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/1177/Alien_9

And of course is BULLSHIT like Higurashi or Madoka magica ;)
Jan 14, 2016 3:20 AM

Jul 2010
Too much fan service and a repeat of cliche characters.
Jan 14, 2016 7:49 AM

Jun 2015
I think the main difference with animes now and then are that writers arent taking risks with crazy ideas. there are some great animes right now but alot of them are simple and predictable. And all of them are really cliche and have similar stories or type of plot to it. i wanna more uniqe animes and plots. Not saying there all bad though, i still watch alot and enjoy it too
Jan 14, 2016 2:17 PM

Mar 2013
Sounds like a question my philosophy prof would ask

Let us dance
to this
twisted rhythm
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Tell me why older anime is better that newer anime. ( 1 2 )

fluffycow17 - Mar 24, 2021

61 by Saiunknown »»
1 minute ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 3 hours ago

16 by Psyzzy »»
3 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

49 by APolygons2 »»
7 minutes ago

» Is there any specific setting or theme you’re biased to

nishant0 - 41 minutes ago

6 by Zarutaku »»
7 minutes ago

» What if Your Favourite Anime had the Flaws of Your Least Favourite Anime?

APolygons2 - 3 hours ago

18 by Saiunknown »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.