Forum Settings
Forums

[Update Jan 6] Forum: Minimum Character Counts & Quick Edit

New
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]
Jan 6, 2016 9:19 AM

Sep 2011
Zazie122 said:

Unsure about your Chrome problem since I stopped using that buggy browser. Got nothing but problems on every site I had browsed... :S.

As for changing the character count for the recommendation board, it's been said somewhere (not sure where) that the board isn't just for listing one title specifically, and that's what people people try to do when they rec people anime.

As for the last thing, we already remove a lot of duplicates and the download/read type threads. Not sure how we can prevent that any further tbh.

Kitsu-nee said:
Tyrel said:
-IMG will no longer count towards your character count as people were trying to do and has been fixed as it was a bug.

Screenshot War is now unplayable ;(
I'll ask Kineta about it

That's a bug. It will be fixed soon.
TyrelJan 6, 2016 3:09 PM
Jan 6, 2016 11:37 AM

May 2010
Tyrel said:
Kitsu-nee said:

Screenshot War is now unplayable ;(
I'll ask Kineta about it

That's a bug. It will be fixed soon. Clubs are also bugged with not being able to just quote people/Post pictures.

Yay, great! And here I was already thinking that it wouldn't be doable :3
Jan 6, 2016 1:10 PM

Apr 2013
I will bomb your houses if the 30 word requirement is no removed. This is no joke.
Jan 6, 2016 2:13 PM

Jun 2008
How am i supposed to make short jokes now :(

And also, people will still be able to spam the forums so it's not helping at all.
Jan 6, 2016 2:16 PM

Sep 2011
Chibi-Alice said:

And also, people will still be able to spam the forums so it's not helping at all.
And they'll be banned faster.
Jan 6, 2016 2:24 PM

Oct 2013
You are all a pool of disgusting moderators, I despise you all, to be quite honest with you
Jan 6, 2016 2:34 PM

Dec 2014
Tyrel said:
Chibi-Alice said:

And they'll be banned faster.
And this is just another short "joke".
Today they say you're crazy, tomorrow they will say you're a genious.
Jan 6, 2016 2:44 PM

Jul 2011
Tyrel said:

-The help identifying anime and manga threads will no longer have a min. character count. This was changed since a lot of stuff being posted there to help people find their respective show was lower than 30 characters.

Yay, they changed it, it was very annoying while it lasted anyways.
Jan 6, 2016 8:13 PM

Sep 2015
Tyrel said:
It will also no longer give the "Edited by [Name] 1 minute ago" if it was edited within a 3 minute time frame.
I just noticed this a while ago, Nice. Now quick edit feature has became a best choice to edit my post.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Jan 6, 2016 8:25 PM
Jan 2013
Oh hey, now nor images nor space characters count towards the character count

ಠ_ಠcooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
gone bai bai
Jan 6, 2016 11:26 PM

Feb 2015
Mkim said:
Oh hey, now nor images nor space characters count towards the character count

ಠ_ಠcooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
for real?
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Jan 7, 2016 2:56 AM

Oct 2012
Tyrel said:
As for changing the character count for the recommendation board, it's been said somewhere (not sure where) that the board isn't just for listing one title specifically, and that's what people people try to do when they rec people anime.
I don't think anyone mentioned that argument. (Not that it's a very good one.)

The arguments given so far are that people should write a small paragraph describing the anime and/or why they recommend it. And after or during that there should be discussion. No idea what is supposed to be discussed here but Kineta said in her opening post that the lack of actual discussion in the recommendation boards is something she wants to 'improve'.

Of course this (especially the discussion part) will probably never get completely enforced since the mods also know that it would kill most activity in the recommendations board.
LaniakaJan 7, 2016 3:00 AM
Jan 7, 2016 3:49 AM

Aug 2014
Small update

The forum games minimum character count is now 0.
Jan 7, 2016 4:15 AM

Sep 2015
Ardanaz said:
Small update

The forum games minimum character count is now 0.
Now forum games will be fun as usual again

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Jan 7, 2016 10:49 AM
Jul 2018
Am I the only one who adds random characters to the post ifi the minimum character count is not reached?
Jan 7, 2016 11:37 AM

Jan 2009
Is it intended that Special Characters like µ count twice?

Not that People would suddenly get Warnings for involuntarily circumventing the Limit like with this short Posting (29 Characters without Spaces):
Not from µ's, as far as I'm aware of.
Jan 7, 2016 10:49 PM

Aug 2014
Well, at least our feedback is being responded to...I just don't think this was ever that good of an idea in the first place. If spam is that much of an issue, wouldn't it be easier to just ban the offending user or his/her/its IP?
Jan 7, 2016 10:55 PM

May 2008
Tyrel said:

Unsure about your Chrome problem since I stopped using that buggy browser. Got nothing but problems on every site I had browsed... :S.

Chrome works fine. But yeah, I see absolutely no minimum character count thingy using quick reply. Not sure about the actual reply page, but I don't use it.
Jan 8, 2016 4:12 PM

Feb 2012
Nice feature bit im sure people are gonna find a way around it.
Jan 8, 2016 10:18 PM

Feb 2015
IciBurn said:
Nice feature bit im sure people are gonna find a way around it.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
wrong tense
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Jan 10, 2016 10:32 PM

Jun 2007
OppaiSugoi said:
People are gonna bypass the limit anyway, no one's gonna snitch on the #30CharReq posts
I wouldn't bet on that, if I were you. Not coincidentally, most of the ones I've seen are
somebody said:
Somebody else's thoughts
"yes" "most definitely" "this" "+1" type posts... the kind of thing that was already against the rules to begin with! What it boils down to is that if your post doesn't have anything unique or informative that adds to the conversation in the thread, maybe you shouldn't be posting it in the first place.
Jan 11, 2016 1:29 AM

Dec 2015
Zalis said:
OppaiSugoi said:
People are gonna bypass the limit anyway, no one's gonna snitch on the #30CharReq posts
I wouldn't bet on that, if I were you. Not coincidentally, most of the ones I've seen are
somebody said:
Somebody else's thoughts
"yes" "most definitely" "this" "+1" type posts... the kind of thing that was already against the rules to begin with! What it boils down to is that if your post doesn't have anything unique or informative that adds to the conversation in the thread, maybe you shouldn't be posting it in the first place.

I suppose we can't even show our support for someone else's post nowadays. Or even a simple "Thank you" when people answer my questions. I don't see how this will encourage discussion at all. If anything, this merely encourages people to either find workarounds or ditch the forums for another place.
Jan 13, 2016 11:11 AM

Jan 2015
Only problem i have when i want to just reply to someone saying "Thanks" or something similar, and i have to fit more into the reply to get it above character count. I mean if someone recommends me an anime or something, its only fair to thank them personally instead of just saying it once in the OP.
"Make it flashier!" -Maid Chou Anime List
Jan 13, 2016 1:29 PM

Apr 2012
Zalis said:
It wasn't enforced before because it wasn't a good idea anyway.

Rarely were posts that were: "Thanks", "Yes", "No", "+1" or just quotes deleted. If they wanted to avoid spam, they should have brought up a solution that wouldn't have created a new type of spam and should have just enforced the old rule without these changes.

This addition did nothing actually, it only affected the forums negatively, as written in the pastebin Go posted.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Jan 15, 2016 12:01 PM
Jul 2018
Along with the "Quick edit" function introduction the "Edit" function became... useless? It doesn't really matter what method of editting you use. However, Quick editting is much quicker and offers the same functionality as normal Editting. I'd like to suggest two changes that I've come up with (only one may be chosen):

1) The "Edit" function gets replaced by the "Quick edit" function - one editting method in the end
2) The "Edit" function get more functionality such as BBCode shortcuts shown in Figure 1, while Quick editting stays as it is - two editting methods in the end

Figure 1
Jan 15, 2016 4:15 PM

Jun 2011
CherryLover said:
Zalis said:

I suppose we can't even show our support for someone else's post nowadays. Or even a simple "Thank you" when people answer my questions. I don't see how this will encourage discussion at all. If anything, this merely encourages people to either find workarounds or ditch the forums for another place.

You can't even help people who ask a yes or no question, unless you pad your answer with pointless extra words. I had a post deleted for doing that.
Jan 16, 2016 5:33 AM

Apr 2012
Narmy said:
CherryLover said:

You can't even help people who ask a yes or no question, unless you pad your answer with pointless extra words. I had a post deleted for doing that.
Yes, that is now against the rules. But this never happened before, that is why this is a new form of spam that did not exist previously.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Jan 16, 2016 3:59 PM

Jul 2015
So... I've really been wondering, with the quick reply and quick edit options, what function does that leave for the 'normal' reply and edit options?

The only difference I see is that with the 'normal' channels, it has a preview button and the space is unnecessarily devoted to a little textbox. It's really piqued my interest for quite some time now. :)

"There’s one last thing you should never forget, Issei. Even a Pawn can take down the King."
Jan 16, 2016 4:58 PM

Oct 2007
lol'd ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Jan 17, 2016 6:21 AM

Mar 2015
Progeusz said:
lol'd ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­

And then I realised I still held some insane attachment to this forum, and didn't want to see it shoot itself in its foot, so I stopped laughing.

It's almost been a month. The volume of spam hasn't changed in any way. More trolls have appeared to scorn this rule (and rightfully so in their anger). It's still useless. Moderators, once again I implore you not to think of this as a small matter we're inflating just to lash out at you. This is a rule that affects our posting habits, and it is in no way proven that it is a positive change at all.

The only thing this is doing is making us even more frustrated with the moderation team, especially with the way (and tone) some of them have been replying to our protests.
Feb 7, 2016 7:41 AM

Oct 2010
It's interesting how you can continue to write a few words or troll and
don't receive a "proper punishment". I changed my thoughts,
I will abide the rules of MAL mods, whoever does not it's the mods problem.
Feb 10, 2016 7:30 AM

Mar 2010
30 characters? You sons of mothers! What's the point?
Do pop-up headlights really endanger pedestrians that much?
Feb 20, 2016 11:25 PM

Jan 2013
This 30 character limit is doing nothing to the spambots, I still report them almost every day. What it does, though is make me type a few filler words to my posts. It is not a working system.
Mar 10, 2017 4:00 AM

Oct 2015
This is retarded. It doesn't make people post more substantively. You can always see the line that is there just for the count, and even more than writing it reading it is a chore. You can't enforce quality as it's not yours to give.

@Ardanaz.
[left] (◕‿◕✿)
Mar 11, 2017 12:53 PM

Feb 2016
30 characters, that's Ok ^^
Sep 20, 2018 7:57 AM

Mar 2017
30 character limit sucks ass. make another alternative, most of my posts are clear and simple but the 30 character limit ruins it. only my message"tldr" is acceptable but 99 percent it's hindrance do something about it . simple yes or no or even a thank you needs to have added shitty words for it to make the 30 limit
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

207 by Shin_016 »»
Yesterday, 7:32 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Yesterday, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3331 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.