Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Asterisk War (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 19, 2015 3:54 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So we got a bit of background story about the sisters before their fight. Eh, the fight itself was alright, at least it lived up to some of the expectations until the second half. And well Irene is quite adaptable at using her abilities until she kinda lost it. I think it was kinda obvious that Ayato would try to help her regain herself. Pretty predictable...

That OP theme song though....
It's like climatic battles these days always goes with those. Saya scoring some bonus points with Ayato at the end. #opportunity

The face though...
Dec 19, 2015 5:25 AM

Feb 2014
The battles feel a bit missing something. And it seems so rushed.

Another typical ending. And, aww! Julis is nearly about to kiss Ayato!

Final score for this season: 7/10

I will still watch the next season in April.
tetrix1993Dec 19, 2015 6:12 AM
Dec 19, 2015 5:33 AM

Feb 2014
That fight couldn't have been more predictable.

Whelp, it was a nice looking show with good music but painfully mediocre in every other aspect.

I'm not sure if its gonna get any better in the next season or not but as of now I'd say 5/10. It's exactly what this show is, average. There was really nothing special about it compared to any other school battle harem, despite what people have said.
Tokoya said:
adapatations are not supposed to be carbon copies of source materials and until the anime community in general can accept that and judge an anime based on what it presents and how they handle every episode, these threads will continue to be filled with hate posts by purists
Dec 19, 2015 5:35 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
That was quite a battle..... Art and Animation was really good but that one scene when Ayato powered up again looked weird lol

I wanted Vampire-chan to maybe manage to master and tame the scythe but oh well, at least she got a happy-ish ending....The final third of the episode was alright

7/10, can't wait for the second half now that Ayato's secret is out
Dec 19, 2015 5:51 AM
Nov 2015
Was expecting a much more intense fight but instead got a pretty dope one with the same predictable crap like corrupted person snapping out of it because the protag yelled some "deep" comment at them.
Dec 19, 2015 5:54 AM

Jan 2012
Hmmm...well the fight with Priscilla and Irene went about as I expected, except I was expecting a bit more drama. It was pretty flashy, and Ayato got very trippy to look at near the end. But that aside it ended fairly quickly. Guess it had to to have time to end this first season with the aftermath and teaser for next season. My favorite scene of the episode was Irene and Priscilla talking afterward, resolving to fight as a true team from now on, that was sweet. I like those girls, their relationship, and still love Irene's choice in wardrobe. :D Definitely my favorite characters in the show, wish they were the leads. :D

This series as a whole didn't leave much of an impression on me. The big thing about it was how it was very similar to Cavalry airing the same season. Ayato and Julis didn't leave me with much of anything. It was only after that near kiss this week that I was like, oh right, they're gonna be a couple eventually...I assume. Cavalry focused on the relationship between the two leads much better. From what I remember anyway. I already forget much of this. So maybe this deserves more credit, I dunno. It had Claudia, who gave off the occasionally nice fanservice scene, and Irene/Priscilla whose relationship I liked as said above. Everyone else felt just there sort of, and there was alot of everyone else's. Really large cast, one I assume the second season will expand and elaborate on further.

Decent tease for season two with Ayato's sister who I forgot about. Dunno if I'll watch it though honestly. It's on my list but...I dunno. I'll only forget more about it between now and Spring afterall. Maybe if my Spring watch schedule is light. Anyway yeah, a fairly ok series, 6/10.
Dec 19, 2015 6:03 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Priscilla was nothing more than a fodder in the match, but still I hope she would appear again later in the sequel. She is one of my favorite girls...

So, where did that Ayato's power-up come from? Please don't tell me it's a power of emotion again....

Can't wait for the new characters in the sequel, that Sylvia girl captured my attention.
....and also match between Team Sasamiya vs Team Ernesta,

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Dec 19, 2015 6:06 AM

Jan 2015
Great finale.
Looks like things will get even more interesting in the second cour!

8/10
Dec 19, 2015 6:11 AM
Feb 2015
Guys this isn't the finale, this is split cour meaning it's 24 episodes with a 3 months break in between.
Dec 19, 2015 6:14 AM
Jul 2018
nice ending for season 1
looking forward to season 2
Dec 19, 2015 6:17 AM

Jun 2013
Great final episode of ss1. SS2 will be more interesting when Ayato x Julis vs 2 robots and Sylvia'll join the harem.
Can't wait for second cour.
ryanstrikeDec 19, 2015 6:21 AM
Dec 19, 2015 6:23 AM

Apr 2015
This episode was great fun,but kinda expected.
7.5/10
Dec 19, 2015 6:25 AM
Aug 2012
RayAdha said:

So, where did that Ayato's power-up come from? Please don't tell me it's a power of emotion again....

Extending his time limit by force and Ser-vesta......that sword has a will of it's own as well.

Dec 19, 2015 6:37 AM

Sep 2015
the ending was ok for the first half, maybe they should invest a little bit more time in the fights...but i still don't understand why ayatos sister sealed his power like this

Dec 19, 2015 6:42 AM

Sep 2015
Interesting to see many posts giving their marks, well everyone has their own likes and dislikes of course. To sum it up together this anime season 1 is still above average, not too good not too bad, watchable.

Still, as a novel reader its nice to see many parts to be animated especially gravi-shealth fight. But in the end Irene team is just a fodder... they still havnt show other participent yet other than allekant Ardy&Rimcy.
Dec 19, 2015 6:45 AM
Feb 2015
Nigami_Shin said:
the ending was ok for the first half, maybe they should invest a little bit more time in the fights...but i still don't understand why ayatos sister sealed his power like this

It's related to the guy at the end of the episode.
Dec 19, 2015 6:47 AM

Feb 2015
3/10
Dec 19, 2015 6:53 AM

Oct 2008
Fun fight to watch. I almost squealed when Julis was about to kiss Ayato then those 3 girls had to come in and remind me that I'm watching a harem show. Great timing :c

Overall pretty enjoyable throughout and I look forward to the 2nd cour. Hopefully they focus more on fighting + the mystery behind the seal and cut down the harem stuff; I think this show can be a lot more exciting that way.
Dec 19, 2015 6:59 AM
Feb 2015
komasan said:
Fun fight to watch. I almost squealed when Julis was about to kiss Ayato then those 3 girls had to come in and remind me that I'm watching a harem show. Great timing :c

Overall pretty enjoyable throughout and I look forward to the 2nd cour. Hopefully they focus more on fighting + the mystery behind the seal and cut down the harem stuff; I think this show can be a lot more exciting that way.

Unfortunately the harem antiques will only increase more & more ahead.
Dec 19, 2015 7:02 AM
Aug 2012
ixarising said:
komasan said:

Volume 4 & 5 focused more on the story and the tournament. As far as i remember there are even less harem antics.

Dec 19, 2015 7:08 AM

Aug 2015
The fight was good, was cool seeing Ayato power up and destroy that weapon. They also showed some new faces who will be part of the story, can't wait.
Dec 19, 2015 7:09 AM
Feb 2015
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
ixarising said:

Volume 4 & 5 focused more on the story and the tournament. As far as i remember there are even less harem antics.

The fact that more girls fall in love with Ayato itself means that there's more harem antics already.
Dec 19, 2015 7:12 AM

Feb 2015

That last fight was one of the best. I like it better when they're working together.

Well, there's your prize for winning.

SchwingBonerDec 19, 2015 7:16 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 19, 2015 7:17 AM
Aug 2012
ixarising said:

The fact that more girls fall in love with Ayato itself means that there's more harem antics already.

And that doesn't become the main focus and neither does it distract from the story. There aren't x amount of time spend to increase affection points but more focus on the tournament and the story instead. Even the 2 girls (i think you are referring Sylvia and Priscilla) only doesn't get much screen time until volume 6-7.

Dec 19, 2015 7:21 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Ok episode I guess. I was really predictable. But the fight was awesome enough. The ending was so harem-y. Nice timing though, just when I thought a real romance was about to develop, the anime slapped me in the face, making me remember the fact that this is a harem!

For this episode: 3/5
For this series: 7/10
Dec 19, 2015 7:21 AM

Mar 2012
Damn, I wanted Julis and Ayato to kiss so bad, that mood was so nice, oh well.

The last fight lived up to my expectations, Amagiri Ayato the MVP!!!!!!! It was nice to see him working together with the Ser-vesta to destroy the gravity scythe. Having to wait a whole season for the 2nd part damnn just kill me now haha

10/10 for me
Dec 19, 2015 7:25 AM

Apr 2015
Another shitty LN adaptation with bad characters (Ayato is basically Kirito's less edgy brother), half baked story, adding vampires & mechas to entertain you for brief seconds and no world mechanics, technology, Genestella or culture explained.

Ayato literally got his face smothered in boobs by 3 girls in this episode.

2/10..Stop A1, your embarrassing yourself.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 19, 2015 7:27 AM

Sep 2013
Best thing about this series was the OP [Brand New World]
I would rank this show as 'One time only' type.
tetrix1993 said:

I will still watch the next season in April.
Dec 19, 2015 7:29 AM

Dec 2014
The fight was good and all but did not seem like a final episode
Dec 19, 2015 7:32 AM
Apr 2014
well until season 2, the post credits, wonder what happened to the sister.
Dec 19, 2015 7:38 AM

Apr 2014
My thoughts about this anime overall:

So they ended it with Ayato fighting and winning against Irene? Then the beautiful girls gather around and teases him at the ending?!
Well I guess they are trying to build it up on the second cour. At lease it's not a cliffhanger.
Anyway, I'll rate this anime a 7 (or 8?) out of 10 score overall. And I'm still gonna watch the second cour on Spring 2016!
Haters always gonna hate.
Dec 19, 2015 7:45 AM
Aug 2012
JkayW said:
Another shitty LN adaptation with bad characters (Ayato is basically Kirito's less edgy brother), half baked story, adding vampires & mechas to entertain you for brief seconds and no world mechanics, technology, Genestella or culture explained.

Funny how everything was explained or hinted at..........looks like someone needs to pay attention.

So what wasn't explained? Genuinely curious.........

Dec 19, 2015 7:54 AM

Mar 2014
SOOOO GOOODDDD i love how asterisk never casts aside side characters and how theres such a fantastic ambiguity between whos good and whos corrupt. the moment with priscilla in the hospital was really effective in making me sympathize with the ursaizes. it also seems like theres so much transpiring in the background especially with jie longs involvement now and it really gives the show a lot of depth. i cried when ayato and julis didnt kiss. the fight was great too with superb animation. sasuga a-1 pictures. cant wait for s2 10/10
Dec 19, 2015 8:00 AM

Aug 2011
Well I know how good the series really is since I read the LN and all but all i'll say is, it might not be worth watching again anytime soon but still, I'll be watching season 2 in April and continuing reading the LN if I still can.
Dec 19, 2015 8:04 AM

Jun 2011
Last ep was decent but still nothing special.

4/10 for this show from me.

It could've been better, eh. I'm glad it's over, not sure if I will bother watching second season.

JkayW said:

this
Dec 19, 2015 8:29 AM

May 2009
twilyhree said:

It could've been better, eh. I'm glad it's over, not sure if I will bother watching second season.

JkayW said:

this

Why are you forcing yourself to watch generic LN harem adaptations if you hate them?
Dec 19, 2015 8:35 AM

Dec 2013
The ED makes all okay after rather tiring episode. Overall the ED made it all worth.
Dec 19, 2015 8:35 AM

Jun 2011
bastek66 said:
twilyhree said:

this

Why are you forcing yourself to watch generic LN harem adaptations if you hate them?

I don't hate them? Have I ever said that? Generic LN harem adaptations are actually what I currently enjoy watching the most. But they can be well done too. And I wasn't forcing myself to watch it at all. I said it could have been a lot better though. If some things were done better it could be very enjoyable. And 4/10 isn't a very bad score, it's only just below average. It was more promising than it turned out to be so as a fan of this kind of anime I can feel somewhat disappointed.
LyreeDec 19, 2015 8:42 AM
Dec 19, 2015 8:41 AM

Mar 2014
JkayW said:
Another shitty LN adaptation with bad characters (Ayato is basically Kirito&#039;s less edgy brother), half baked story, adding vampires &amp; mechas to entertain you for brief seconds and no world mechanics, technology, Genestella or culture explained.<br />
<br />
Ayato literally got his face smothered in boobs by 3 girls in this episode.<br />
<br />
<br />
2/10..Stop A1, your embarrassing yourself.<br />
<br />

are you okay? that pictures literally just kiritos face shopped onto ayatos of course youll be like amagawd they look alike. studio is a-1, bound to have similarities in chara design between works now and then. the only trait they share is that theyre master swordsmen. also their powers not unexplained as both have trained with swords prior to the events of their respective stories, as evidenced by ayatos amagiri twin dragon sword style. irene was prevalent for a good 3 episodes; that is 25% of the show. say again how vampires attributed for mere seconds of entertainment. allekants ais arent supposed to be major right now either, they were supposed to show them off and build tension for s2. genestellas, world mechanics, blah blah blah okay you werent paying attention at all. asterisk takes place on an island city in kanto ish called asterisk because of the way its shaped and the six schools that surround the main city. the story takes place after the impact invertia, an asteroid that devastated mankind and threw all the world powers into chaos. from this though rose a generation of superhumans that could harness mana and prana and thats where luxes and all the fighting come in along with corruption and ulterior motives. this show is literally tagged as ecchi and harem too so idk what you were expecting. i think most people are just bandwagoning on the hate train and that really takes away from their own enjoyment of whats supposed to be just pure entertainment. whats worse is that their arguments are terse but baseless statements complaining about nothing. can you loosen up a little? i feel like im talking to the robespierres of anime.
Dec 19, 2015 8:54 AM
Apr 2015
I loved the setting (which is very uninspired, but I liked it for some reason), the weapons, and some of the backstories. The OP and ED are magnificent and some of my favourites. The harem just seemed to get in the way of the good parts and every scene with 3+ of the girls was essentially the same. The other let-down is the fights, which were all either uninspired or just too short. Episode 4 was probably the highlight for me, but the rest of it is best described as "meh". 5/10
ihavebadopinionsDec 19, 2015 9:03 AM
Dec 19, 2015 8:57 AM

Apr 2015
yuiyuigahama said:
JkayW said:
Another shitty LN adaptation with bad characters (Ayato is basically Kirito&#039;s less edgy brother), half baked story, adding vampires &amp; mechas to entertain you for brief seconds and no world mechanics, technology, Genestella or culture explained.<br />
<br />
Ayato literally got his face smothered in boobs by 3 girls in this episode.<br />
<br />
<br />
2/10..Stop A1, your embarrassing yourself.<br />
<br />

Holyyyyy shit. Settle down Freddy the Fanboy.

Look, we can go 1 of 2 ways. 1. I can roast you like a thanksgiving turkey right now about biased rant. Or

2. You can just accept someone else's opinion, I'll be the bigger man and not start a flame war in the discussion thread.

You poured the gasoline. If you want me to light the match, rage at me in my profile comments instead of ruining this discussion with a childish argument.
Dec 19, 2015 9:11 AM

Aug 2013
Whoooaaaaaa
That moment when Ayato was in rage mode, that animation and effects, wow.

Btw I'm not really into series like this (magic fights etc), but I enjoyed it.
rsc-plDec 19, 2015 9:14 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Dec 19, 2015 9:30 AM

Aug 2014
I can't say I'm impressed. Mediocre? Anti-climatic? Predictable? Greatly describe this whole battle. Overall, pretty disappointing.

Saya is the only reason for me to continue watching this. But heck, she got such a minor character treatment in this, which makes me mad.
Thank god most of her moments are notable tho. The sound made by the contact of Ayato with Saya's chest is so cute. xD

Will watch season 2, but maybe will skip things most of the time. Ayato irks me up. Design, voice and personality.
(7/10) for now. Saya saved the show from being bad. For me, at least.
Dec 19, 2015 9:37 AM

Jul 2014
Lame, generic and lame. Boring characters and boring fights involving said characters do not make a good series. Kinda feel like I wasted my time with this, and sure as hell won't be watching season 2.

Also, it kinda sucks that this mediocre show is getting a 2nd season but Rakudai isn't despite being a way better show than this.
Dec 19, 2015 9:41 AM

Oct 2014
idk if i'll watch 2nd season..

read from right to left
Dec 19, 2015 9:43 AM

Jun 2014
This series was actually watchable unlike others this season, I'm fairly looking forward to next season and the next Festa events it has to offer. Dirk is up to something no doubt.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Dec 19, 2015 9:43 AM

May 2014
Mediocre, yet mundane series which had pretty much average storyline, characters and soundtracks. All that I loved is an ending song.

Grade - C (5/10)
NoctisJan 12, 2016 1:25 PM
Dec 19, 2015 9:46 AM

Apr 2011
It was good. Best fight scene in the series. Julis was almost close in kissing him. I wish there was more of Claudia, Saya, and Kirin. Sylvia made her appearance. I guess there'll be more girls gonna be added.

One of the thing I like the most is the ED is really good. Looking forward to the next cour.
Dec 19, 2015 9:55 AM
Aug 2012
Mixed feelings about the episode......could have been better with a little effort and less changes.

Irene/Priscilla's backstory had the feelings but lacked the information. Allekant's research group came to take her away for using as a guinea pig because of her extraordinary healing powers under the guise of scholarship. So Irene ran away with her sister and Dirk later took the ownership from Allekant.

The fight was shortened, even more from the usual since they cut out a part of the fight and that repulsing crow/arrow-clearing crow was very short and thousand-fold destroyer didn't look as intimidating as i thought it would be. I was really looking forward to those techniques damnit. Other than that, the combination was shown pretty well between out duo and for the first time in the anime. Gravi-sheath taking gradual control was already hinted and and Julis powerful attack would have ended the match if not for the takeover.

The main complain would be how the destruction played out........the animation and execution were rather cheesy and technique shown was wrong as well. The LN version was so much better than these typical screaming stuff that was shown. Sigh A-1 this was the fight you should have given more attention to since it's the last fight of this course.

Well i liked the flashback/images shown by Ser-vesta and challenging him (Guess Ser-vesta likes to continuously challenge the Owner and grant power) and rather than being the power of friendship and love, it was Ayato extending his own time limit by force (as he already said previously that he can if needed) and Ser-vesta lending more of it's power.

Dirk's and Madiath's (at the end) comments also hint to something bigger and Ayato's sister being involved in it. All the teams now know of Ayato's limit (thanks to Mr. Dirk as well) and things got more troublesome for them. Their next opponents weren't shown among the characters though........

Among the good things, Julis continuously keeps being the best and most developed among the girls. Agreeing to Ayato's plan instead of being selfish and reminding him that they are partners rather than their Tag team being one-sides only. Anybody still calling a generic tsundere should re-evaluate their thinking. The aftermath of fight on Irene/Priscilla' side was done nicely as well. Instead of staying mad/depressed about the destruction of Gravi-sheath which caused more harm than good for the sisters, both of them are looking forward.

Well the last complain would be how the episode ended, instead of these stupid AO hugging scenes they should have set up the tension for the next match. Ayato is crippled as he exceeded his time limit and can't use his powers for the match next day, their secret is out and will be exploited and their opponents are only going to get stronger now. Besides the hugs should be hurting more considering his body is in pain. More efforts should have in the action and setting up the tension for the next course instead of some stupid hugs..........
Dragon_Slayer_XDec 19, 2015 9:59 AM

Dec 19, 2015 10:14 AM

May 2014
I took some screenshots. My reactions watching them:

Great plot overall, well-written characters, superb interactions, and I applaud A-1's efforts for not making something cheap, generic, and as lame as merely trying to please a specific demographic and nothing more. As always.

10/10

Edit: In fact, tons of anime have great elements like this one (Mirai Nikki, Mahouka, Brynhildr in the Darkness, etc). What makes Asterisk stand out is its execution. I especially loved the storytelling.
parazeDec 19, 2015 10:22 AM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 21, 2015

116 by POLYTRON2K »»
Dec 28, 2023 11:23 PM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2015

324 by animegamerrose »»
Jun 21, 2023 10:01 PM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 17, 2015

180 by Gutzdeep42 »»
May 29, 2023 5:17 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 14, 2015

122 by Arlindox0 »»
Feb 27, 2023 5:20 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 24, 2015

220 by Azuki_Sayashi »»
Feb 17, 2023 7:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.