Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Nov 6, 2015 1:16 PM

Oct 2014
episode fairly criticized for being slow but I liked it. An episode in which is mainly discussed topics such as the morality and especially the freedom.
Really, for me, a nice episode. 5/5
Nov 6, 2015 1:50 PM

Aug 2011
Why do people still think the uncle is Magata's actual blood related uncle? In a lot of Asian cultures the same word for "uncle" is used for older male family friends, or just older men in general without any weird/pervy connotations. It might be her real uncle, but I'm more inclined to think he's a caretaker or mentor of some sort.
Nov 6, 2015 2:12 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
komasan said:

Helpme said:

I wonder why so many here refers to them like this? I seems strange to me to refer to one person by their given name and the other with their surname.

Even in Japanese most people refer to them that way. The novel series is called "S&M series" after their names. Moe is young so people feel comfortable calling her by her given name but Saikawa is a professor, someone in position of authority, hence it doesn't feel right to call him by his given name, plus his surname is also S.

That and the S&M is short for "Professor Saikawa and his student Moe." Idk I used to call her Nishinosono because that's the name I heard the most in the drama (and here in the anime too) but it's longer to type and most of the comments refer her as Moe, so it just caught on when I was writing.
Nov 6, 2015 2:45 PM

Dec 2013
Madlib said:
The start of the episode was disturbing

Yeah wtf how old is she? 13?
Stay in yesterday 時を止めて
Nov 6, 2015 5:10 PM

Mar 2009
Dude just slept with a 13-year-old girl.
Nov 6, 2015 5:16 PM

Dec 2012
All these mysteries are intriguiging, the ending came too quickly.
Nov 6, 2015 5:44 PM

Sep 2014
Lots of informational conversation this episode, very interesting I must say. We got a lot of insight into Magata Shiki's personality/ies.
Nov 6, 2015 7:00 PM

Jul 2009
nihikun said:
I had this crazy idea when I watched this episode. If it turns out to be correct it might be a spoil so... watch out.

WHAT IF she was pregnant, she proposed to her uncle to go live on an island, he refused, then told her parents he wants to marry her, her dad goes I WONT LET YOU DO THAT, she kills them and then the uncle took her on that island she was until she died recently somehow.
And her killer was her own child that was born in ultimate secrecy and for even more madness her child's name is the same as the "doll's". "THE PERFECT INSIDER" (INSID"HER" GET IT? XD)
The theory was inspired by the absurd thing that was said "what if there was someone with her before the cameras were installed" "for 15 years?"

I hope someone reads this and appreciates my effort.

I love it.

...not the pedo uncle impregnanting his niece, just the cool theory.
SASHIHARA said:
Why do people still think the uncle is Magata's actual blood related uncle? In a lot of Asian cultures the same word for "uncle" is used for older male family friends, or just older men in general without any weird/pervy connotations. It might be her real uncle, but I'm more inclined to think he's a caretaker or mentor of some sort.

I was thinking this too up until this episode. No particular reason though. I'm still waiting for it to be confirmed.
Nov 6, 2015 7:03 PM

Jul 2010
I liked conversation between Moe and Saikawa, but in the end what Saikawa was talking about could be translated into ''Magata is so kakkoi and awesome and stuff, everything she does is so pure, wow, she is more human than us sugoi '' or something along these lines imo.
Last scene got me excited.I think we are about to learn what actually happened in past, which will give us hints to what happened in present.

kevinivek said:

I just want to see how they figure out the murderer......
Who said she is murdered tho? i'm still not going to jump into conclusions about that.Everything might come out as a troll from Magata or something like that.
Nov 6, 2015 7:56 PM
Jan 2014
DAMN that was a good ending, totally caught me off-guard after all that talking. Cue it's all a plot to allow they to be "free", and stay together, including killing her parents and then faking death. I know it wont be that, but funny how the motives are slowly appearing, even if we still have no idea on who is the killer.

You people complaining about Moe, she is just in love and lonely, we all have been there.
I wonder how faithful to the source material the anime has been so far...
Nov 6, 2015 7:57 PM

Sep 2015
Still feels like I'm watching Scooby Doo
Nov 6, 2015 8:56 PM

Oct 2008
SASHIHARA said:

Actually the uncle IS her uncle. Why do you think he's in the family dinner at the end of the episode?
Not really a spoiler but if you want to know

xuhiken said:
You people complaining about Moe, she is just in love and lonely, we all have been there.
I wonder how faithful to the source material the anime has been so far...

According to people who've read the novels, the anime Moe hasn't been very accurate and this episode broke her character. But other than that it is following the story (flashbacks are from separate novel however).
Nov 6, 2015 9:27 PM
Oct 2013
-Mihairu said:
i haven't seen if this has been brought up earlier, but is the director the uncle?

um also, could someone pls tell me where dr magata's sister has gone? O_o

I commented on it once but no one bothered about it. Now, we have the same army knife Magata gave to her Uncle and the one used to stab the director.

Her sister already showed up when the helicopter went down. It's the woman who wore a business suit and was crying when she saw Magata's body.

Machiavellism said:
Moe has to be one of those most annoying characters I've ever had the displeasure of watching. If she could forget about wanting to bang Saikawa for five minutes and stop getting jealous at every little thing, then MAYBE she's an okay character.

Also, the theory I've been seeing about Magata being pregnant and her child killed her is ridiculous. People on the island would know she had a kid, and unless they're all in it together, they wouldn't hide that fact, at least not from Moe and Saikawa.

Finally, someone who has the same line of thought as me. Moe in this episode made me irk several times.

First, for being obnoxious to the point of being extremely rude and inconsiderate to the wife. Saikawa asked her twice to stop but she still insisted and shouted once.

Second, Saikawa was simply thinking and explaining things objectively while she was taking her time getting jealous whenever Magata's name came up; or in her perspective, getting defended by Saikawa.

Third, she almost slapped Saikawa because her emotional tolerance went beyond her line. And guess what, the cause is jealously...or should I say envy?

I mean they are not even a couple and she acts as if they're already tied down by destiny forever and ever. She's overstepping her bounds. "Selfish and overcomplicated". Does she ever look on a mirror? She's like Magata who badly wants to bang her Uncle. I just hope that there would be a character development, if not I would also bang my rating on this anime. lol

And yes, the child theory is just improble.
ExplodingGirlNov 6, 2015 9:33 PM
Nov 6, 2015 9:41 PM

May 2015
Good episode. Love the dialog between both MCs.
Now back to waiting for the next episode to come.

GaryL said:

Sure thing mate..... this screams Scooby Doo from every angle you see it. Thanks for pointing that out [/ s]
By the way, make sure you take your daily medicines like the doctor prescribed. Remember, not taking them will make you disorient and delusional, thus a danger to society.

We ultimately fear what spawns from within us ~Shinsekai yori
Music is freedom. ~Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Nov 6, 2015 11:58 PM

Feb 2013
aikaflip said:
I can't stand all the flashback scenes with Shiki and her uncle. They're disgusting, excessive, and don't contribute much to the story.
You say that now, but it might have everything to do with everything later on.

I mean, wasn't that the same knife that was stabbed into the director when he was in the helicopter?
Nov 7, 2015 12:00 AM
Jun 2012
komasan said:

Helpme said:

I wonder why so many here refers to them like this? I seems strange to me to refer to one person by their given name and the other with their surname.

Even in Japanese most people refer to them that way.

If you rewatch an episode you'll find that this is not the case. She's almost exclusively referred to as Nishinosono. Even by Sohei, where it's used to indicate distance.

komasan said:

Moe is young so people feel comfortable calling her by her given name

I think you may have misunderstood that. There is such an age, but it's small children, usually before school age. As an adult, Moe would generally be referred to by surname.
Nov 7, 2015 4:56 AM

Oct 2008
^ I'm not talking about the characters in the show. She is called Nishinosono in the show, but viewers refer to her as Moe almost all the time.
Nov 7, 2015 10:36 AM

Sep 2015
zero-r said:
Good episode. Love the dialog between both MCs.
Now back to waiting for the next episode to come.

GaryL said:

Sure thing mate..... this screams Scooby Doo from every angle you see it. Thanks for pointing that out [/ s]
By the way, make sure you take your daily medicines like the doctor prescribed. Remember, not taking them will make you disorient and delusional, thus a danger to society.

Opinions dude, learn to deal with them...
Nov 7, 2015 2:13 PM

Jan 2015
What is Magata-sensei thinking about... .______.
Nov 7, 2015 10:22 PM

Dec 2014
What's with magata giving her uncle the knife
Nov 8, 2015 11:21 AM

Apr 2014
worst slap ever.
---------My Profile------------
Nov 8, 2015 12:48 PM

Dec 2014
I only want to see the ecchi scene of Magata Shiki. Dogdamn it.
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Nov 8, 2015 2:19 PM

Mar 2012
Man Saikawa must be smoking some good shit.

SASHIHARA said:

Doesn't change the fact that the guy banged a 13 year old lol.
Nov 8, 2015 8:30 PM

Aug 2013
The first two episodes were horrible, to be honest. But I liked this one and last week's episode was also good. The chemistry between Saikawa and Moe is just great (although she's irritating as hell). I hope the anime sticks to this level, it could be great. I still don't have any theories as regards the murders, but why are we supposed to think since the first moment that it was just only one person the one behind both murders and everything else (cleaning the death scene, the system's failure, etc)? I haven't read the novel but I guess that sounds almost impossible, so I think I'll start reading it :P
"Doubting everything that you take on... That is very important. Open your own eyes, clear out your ears, and look and listen to the world... And think using your own brain. After you've doubted everything, there is a possibility of something real to believe in. To believe in something, doubt everything."

Nov 9, 2015 2:22 AM
Feb 2014
and i spoiled myself by watching the dorama.. *damn*
Nov 9, 2015 2:00 PM

Oct 2015
Not gonna lie, it took me about four tries before I could actually watch the actual episode because the opening song is SO GOOD.

I think my only real criticism so far is that the animation is super bland, but I guess it all adds to the atmosphere.
Nov 9, 2015 5:15 PM
Aug 2013
the show is interesting, but the animation is really dull. Makes me think I should just read the book, or watch the drama.

Or I could do all three. But if I watch the drama it will spoil the anime wont it? But then the anime will spoil the drama and the book, so really you only get one choice. Fug me!

Also does anyone else always get reminded of Tsunemori from Psycho Pass when they see Nishinosono? She even kinda sounds like her.
Nov 9, 2015 9:44 PM
Jul 2012
the director's wife's eyes

and i'm totally okay with moe's personality, i'd be pretty annoyed constantly if my crush was that frustrating
Nov 10, 2015 12:45 AM

Nov 2015
trippykitty94 said:
Not gonna lie, it took me about four tries before I could actually watch the actual episode because the opening song is SO GOOD.

Me too. I even liked the ending theme
Nov 11, 2015 9:19 AM

Jun 2008
aikaflip said:
I can't stand all the flashback scenes with Shiki and her uncle. They're disgusting, excessive, and don't contribute much to the story.

Such immature reaction, and the excuse of them not contributing to the story is lame. Of course they do, they are important part of the story and you know it but you wanted an excuse for your immature reaction.
Nov 11, 2015 10:03 AM

Oct 2013
yeah... I'm definitely thinking Shiki planned her death. Didn't they say something an episode or two ago about how Deborah or whatever the system is called must've been planned with the flaw that allowed her death from its very foundation 15 years ago? That exchange between Saikawa and Moe seemed to be reinforcing the idea that Shiki was not bound to society's ethics and, consequently, was not bound to the moral dilemma in murdering her parents. If it's true she killed her parents because that is the only way she could attain freedom, why, then, would she not kill herself to attain freedom?

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Nov 11, 2015 10:16 AM

Jun 2008
Mich666 said:
It seems that more than anything this series tries to criticize those boundaries modern society places around us by education. While growing up we are given an illusion of choice but in fact, we are tied by the system instead. With those rules they are severely limiting our options during decisions and our outlook of the world is considerably restricted.

So now we know Moe didn't do that.. probably. I kinda share her opinion that those rules are there for a reason. What bothers me, though, is negative attitude of Souhei, he clearly doesn't love her and there is something more him. But I have the feeling this is only the beginning and she will try mimic Magata in the future, trying to make him sleep with her as Shiki did with her uncle.

The moment Shiki bought the knife it was clear she did it to free him from those chains her parents represented. I'm still not sold about those personalities of hers were product of some mental disease as it seems she made pretty conscious choice of bringing them in and therefore I see it only as her way of playing with others.

Anyway, I still don't understand why they can't tell the police murder had happend by mail, they would be there instantly. And what about other people on the island, in camp precisely? Sometimes new clues are being talked about rather conveniently but it still feels pretty natural so I guess it's ok.

Edit: Anyone who feels disgusted by the conversation Magata had with her uncle or by the fact they slept with each other - you are just feeling constrainsts and morals our society put on you.
Why do you think of something as bad or good? Isn't that something you are just taking for granted?
If killing is bad why do think all other species on the Earth are doing it? And what's wrong with having sex with your relative? The genes and attraction tells us otherwise but if this was something bad it wouldn't be possible in the first place.

We are human because we can think about our actions. Yet our nation limits the things we are allowed to think about.
And that's what this series is about.

I do not share this meaning completely.
For example i see myself as completely free from moral education and parenting ideas and restrictions but i still have my idea of bad a good. I do not believe is a restriction. It is a necessity for functionality.
We do not lack something for putting the constrain of morality in things like respecting human life etc. Without such things then it will be chaos and society couldn't advance technologically. The species probably wouldn't be able to survive.
The doctor talks about people like Magata being more free and unconstrained but if the world was full with people like that we wouldn't have built anything.
Yes we have responsibilities and ideas of bad and good but we need those to be able to survive and create anything. You garbage man may not feel fully great about his job but he feels like that is his role in life at the moment and can't just go and spit in his boss face and live in the jungle.
And that is good, because if all garbage men were free spirits like that then the city will be full of garbage. He can still do it but they will consequences. Will he really be better living in the jungle? After having no water, electricity, or medicine and living in cold and having mosquitoes torturing him i bet he will think that garbage cleaning isn't all that bad.
How would you live if everyone around you had no restrictions about killing anyone around them? You wouldn't be able to sleep and still get murder at some point. So people seeing murder as something bad isn't just a view, it is a logical process of existence.

A person like me does not feel that disgusted about seeing her relationship with her uncle or react emotionally about it but still it does not mean i find it agreeable. I just see it immature to overreact for something being shown in a show that does not agree with my views. I also find it funny how the idea of murder is not disgusting to them enough to make them feel annoyed watching despite not agreeing with murder ether but the relationship is.
It shows that is more than just conflicting morals but a reactionary sentimental trigger of taboo idea of sorts. It is the same with the word "rape". They react to even the idea unlike murder where they would only react to the action. Murder in a film is just an idea for a story and they are fine with it because of that but not for this incest or pedophilia like relationships. But i bet most would have reacted like that even she was 20 and he 60 and unrelated despite both being legal adults. They will feel disgusted for them having big age difference.
Well Mal users are still young and restricted to the moral preaching of their growing continuations and they haven't even had enough time to evaluate what they grew with and they can overreact to things strange to their little bumble world. Such ideas in their bumble world are more rare than the idea of murder that is more unavoidable to hear and they react with shock and awe to those more rares ideas.

Zadion said:
yeah... I'm definitely thinking Shiki planned her death. Didn't they say something an episode or two ago about how Deborah or whatever the system is called must've been planned with the flaw that allowed her death from its very foundation 15 years ago? That exchange between Saikawa and Moe seemed to be reinforcing the idea that Shiki was not bound to society's ethics and, consequently, was not bound to the moral dilemma in murdering her parents. If it's true she killed her parents because that is the only way she could attain freedom, why, then, would she not kill herself to attain freedom?

Her dead body has no hands or legs. So obviously someone cut them. How did she kill herself with no arms and legs or how did she cut her arms and legs after she killed herself?
So it doesn't matter what she planed. You still have a murderer on the loose.

ibraheem234 said:
What's with magata giving her uncle the knife

Watch the conversation she had with him at the start of the episode again. It's makes clear why she gave it to him and why she called it freedom and what she asked for it to be to the old man.

SASHIHARA said:

Many of us know what you are saying. Anyone with familiarity to the Japanese way of language understands tht but as you say that doesn't exclude him from being her uncle so we just let it go and see. He might really be her uncle anyway in the end.
MonadNov 11, 2015 10:27 AM
Nov 11, 2015 9:52 PM

May 2015
interesting arguments/dialogue to some
uncle seems pretty sketchy there at the end
Nov 12, 2015 10:22 AM

Aug 2007
About the whole Magata/uncle thing, why are people assuming that the series is endorsing it? Just because a particular work of art shows a particular action, whatever it is, it does not mean that it is making a case for it. Just like murder novels are not an encouragement to commit murder, writing about pedophilia is not condoning it.

Of course, it can be so, at least in-universe but that is hardly the case. A series like this thrives on opposing points of view, which is why it is so dialogue heavy. The idea is to question things and get to the root of things why seeking out a reason.

If anything, I am actually happy that finally anime is tackling pedophilia as the disturbing thing it is. In a medium where lolis abound and the sexualization of actual kids is seen as normal and even cute, to actually push things to an extreme and facing the viewer with it is a bold choice.

The moment something is deemed too tabboo to be explored, it will never be understood- in any way. This series reminds one of that.
Nov 12, 2015 2:28 PM

Dec 2013
The flashbacks continue to creep me out.

Really enjoyed the conversation between Saikawa and Moe.
Nov 12, 2015 2:42 PM

Jan 2011
I really dig the amount of philosophical stuff in this show, it is 11/10.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Nov 12, 2015 10:27 PM

Oct 2008
what a boring episode! all of those talking made me even not understand...
3/5.

Nov 15, 2015 3:27 AM

Jul 2009
So creepy that she had an affair with her grandfather....
Nov 16, 2015 9:02 AM

Jun 2013
The conversation between Moe and Saikawa gave great insight to how Magata saw the world.

I hate to admit it but NOW I'm liking Moe more.
臭い-
Nov 19, 2015 8:44 AM

Feb 2008
With more info on Magata, the show is getting more interesting. (and I love the dialogue as well).

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Nov 19, 2015 8:21 PM
Mar 2015
All I can say is "Lucky Uncle".....looks like he was going for seconds?
Nov 21, 2015 4:41 PM

Feb 2013
The uncle did it!

So, according to this anime, my body is like a prison for my mind.
Nov 28, 2015 1:56 AM

Feb 2014
Ending was nice.

Otherwise, I hope this show won't go all pretentious on me because that is just hateful.
Nov 28, 2015 3:06 AM

Sep 2014
Somehow i find the firsf half of the show quite boring, but they throw these theories which the characters find. Then you got this narrator talking in somewhat chronological order of Shiki's past.

We are moving very slowly..... Which im not sure if im liking.
Dec 22, 2015 6:03 AM

May 2012
Great episode, we got quite some interesting information in this episode, so let's see what's next!
Jan 9, 2016 2:47 AM

May 2013
These are only my thoughts of the show, so it is either magata shiki was killed by her daughter or magata shiki killed her daughter. Its pretty evident. I think from what is seen in her room there has to be a child living with her. I cant just imagine a personality like Magata Shiki to be fond of teddy bears when even when she is thirteen, she thinks like an adult and acts like an adult. Also, If you follow thoroughly her flashbacks, it is evident that something happened to her with her "uncle". She might have gotten pregnant at the time, before she entered the island.

The moment I heard Nao said about the doll thing, and metaphorically comparing it to magata shiki, I come to deduce that she maybe didn't actually kill her parents. Maybe "someone" made her to do it, as opposed to her will, like a doll. My main suspect would be her sister. I think it should be someone in the family or close to the family. it is pretty weird why her sister ended the sole survivor of their family. but of course we need to know that there is more to the story of Magata Shiki.

Now, my question is, how did the killer managed to escape from a completely closed room and even killed someone from the roof with all that perfect security? That, I really have no idea. I'm pretty sure the series' title is the one biggest clue but I cannot unlock it. This is one of the best locked room mysteries I have ever seen.

I'm so hype into knowing how the criminal did it. Looking forward for more. I can't see why lots of people are not feeling the hype, but I tell you, I'm a mystery addict so maybe that is it.
Also, As I have said, there is also a live action for this one, I'll check it out because I cant accept the fact that the characters in the anime looked really dull and boring.

Jun 8, 2016 3:00 PM

Jan 2012
pretty sure she gave birth on that island and planned the escape for her daughter/son while sacrificing herself

the kid can pass through small openings and whatnot

the director is prob the pedo uncle who killed himself after he found out she died due to guilt

at any rate, she's one f'd up chick

would still plow though
flaxman85Jun 8, 2016 3:07 PM
Jun 23, 2016 10:56 AM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
Episode was just like a high school philosophy class.....interesting only to those talking. Sorry......too much inner thought always raises flags to me about the stability of someone to function in the world. This series is getting to be like an Ingmar Bergman film.....and those take more effort to watch than I put forth in an anime.
Aug 21, 2016 8:43 AM
Jul 2018
Interesting episode.where the
Liked the dialogue on this one, really interesting.
Some pieces of the puzzle are becoming clear but there's still a lot of explaining to do, which is exciting. How Magata's parents died and what's Moe's roll in all this.
So, maybe we're going to get to see the crime of 15 years ago next episode, that should be interesting. Seems like Magata's uncle is being completely manipulated by her at this stage, wonder where that's gonna lead...
Looking forward to the next episode
Mar 19, 2017 11:54 AM

Jul 2009
Hmm, lot of dialogue and discussion this episode. We learn that Magata's personalities are all based on dead people ... well, except maybe Michiru. Then we've got her buying that knife as a present for her uncle ... oh dear D: That's just super creepy >_< It looks like Moe being reminded of how her parents die get her emotions running a little high too, especially at the end. Interesting how you could consider Magata "pure" if she has all those separate personalities ... well anyway, let's see where this goes. Looks like there haven't been any more deaths though ... yet :P
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 8, 2015

278 by wildhood »»
Mar 8, 8:29 PM

Poll: » Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 10, 2015

175 by 0arche »»
Jan 10, 9:11 AM

Poll: » Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2015

228 by Destroyer31 »»
Oct 25, 2023 10:55 PM

» For anyone who want to know why shiki escaped the island and her story in light novel

Baoyeuconpo9999 - Mar 10, 2023

3 by Thewatcher_22 »»
Mar 11, 2023 8:59 AM

Poll: » Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2015

172 by Floral_soap »»
Jan 14, 2023 11:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.