Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Sep 12, 2015 8:18 PM

Mar 2012
Not even the annoying fat turd I sat next to who spent half the movie talking with his friend or the audience that laughed hysterically during serious scenes was enough to ruin the movie for me. It was better than I could have hoped for and I had impossibly high expectations. Easy 10/10

On a side note, I've been thinking about the movie a little bit since I saw it and something just crossed my mind. Was that woman Honoka met in New York meant to be Honoka as an adult? It was heavily implied that she was a figment of Honoka's imagination and that she knew Honoka very well.

razisgosu said:
Well I was going to watch at the NJ showing today but there was no audio. What a waste of time.
My sympathies. I had an awful experience when I went to go see the first two Madoka Movies and the Blu-ray player (Yes, the movie was on a Blu-ray disc. You read that right) stuffed up so they had to run out and get a new one. Melbourne got it worse. They didn't even get to see the movie at all.

Nork22 said:
One thing you have to take note about the International version is that they replaced "As Time Goes By" with a humming tune.
So that's why her humming didn't quite match up with the lip flaps. Well I'm going to be importing the Japanese Blu-ray for my second viewing so I probably won't have to worry about that. I might get whatever NISA/Madman put out if it has an English dub. I assume that the first two seasons would have been dubbed by then so I'll decide by that point whether or not the dub is worth the double dip.
SeibaaHomuSep 12, 2015 8:27 PM
Sep 12, 2015 8:46 PM

Feb 2009
Got invited to this by a friend who had a spare ticket. I don't really care about this franchise and it was pretty much what I expected. I thought the New York scenes were amusing though definitely a misguided depiction. Everything after that was pretty by the numbers idol anime stuff with a lot of really annoying and distracting CG. I was hoping a movie budget would have avoided that but I guess not.

The autograph board things they gave out are pretty cool though, even if mine is going to end up on ebay.

Edit: Special props for having English voice actors that are actually easily understandable for once.
IconoclastSep 12, 2015 9:03 PM
Sep 12, 2015 9:50 PM

Jun 2008
vvvortic said:
Nork22 said:
One thing you have to take note about the International version is that they replaced "As Time Goes By" with a humming tune. It was kinda obvious since I had the OST before watching the movie and when the scene pop-up, you see the mouth movements weren't in sync with the humming. This might be a problem when NISA and Madman release the movie on disc in a couple of years.

That explains it, thanks. Pitchforks have been put away I guess. I thought that was just a fuck-up by sunrise

and I also feel stupid for not thinking of it being Honoka and everyone else seeming to know.

Just got back from the Detroit viewing of it.
THanks for the explanation, I was wondering about that also. That would have helped fill in a bit about why that person was there for Honoka those two times. I had an inkling it had to do with some spiritual time traveling as "As Time Goes By" would have appropo.

Everyone here loved the movie. There was a very loud gasp at the Tsubasa/Maki scene.

I would give this a 9/10. Now I want to get the movie with the correct song in there. Also a better explanation why going to New York was somehow suppose to be help with the Love Live competition in Japan. I got a bit lost there.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Sep 13, 2015 12:07 AM

Jun 2013
This movie was so freaking good, I cant believe how perfectly they wrapped everything up. I love how they went to america too hahaha. Maki kissing her dad .. .. eh viewers .. Lol'd so hard when Nozomi tricked them with her translation hahaha

Now we have a mystery regarding that random girl that looked like an older version of Honoka :o

Even though the audience was shit, the movie was soo good I didnt even care. Nothing but a solid 10/10 for this. That ending song with all their names got me good. So bittersweet.
lucidbrandonSep 13, 2015 12:12 AM
Sep 13, 2015 12:30 AM

Mar 2012
The movie was definitely a pretty fun watch. The atmosphere at the theater I went to (Salt Lake City, UT) was pretty lively and overall great; I feel pretty lucky after reading previous posts here about having crap audiences. Helps that I was able to go with a few friends of mine too.

I approve of the Engrish by the μ's members. xD I am glad that they had the native speakers have legit fluent voices. Also, Nozomi's false translation was pretty hilarious. Super paranoid Umi was great too. I was really hoping to get the SR code and flyer for Umi, but fate had other ideas. Got Honoka and Eli respectively, but no complaints here. :3

Regardless, fun and very enjoyable movie and a pretty nice wrap-up too! ^^ Plus, free SR for the game! XD
Sep 13, 2015 3:04 AM

Feb 2010
Got to watch the movie twice on the same day. The audiences were meh/lame but still met some cool people. On to the movies, plot-wise? eh the first half was just mainly humor, moe, and OTP. Shutting down the people who ship RinMaki, etc. But the second half picked it up and finished the movie completely. The music was great and the background interactions were amazing; you can hear and see the people around them eating and drinking in restaurants. It's not the most important thing but they made sure to make their environment very lively. The scene I love the most had to be Honoka going nuts before Sunny Day Song. It was just fantastic, she just let it go and her steps were completely silence and the entire scene was overrun by the music. And I'm always a sucker for this sort of aging thing, when Yukiho and Arisa were shown to be third years, the moment of truth! As the movie a whole, I really enjoyed it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 13, 2015 5:55 AM

Feb 2014
The movie may had leaved you teary eyed in the end but I'm happy that they were able to make a proper conclusion to μ's. As someone who followed μ's. since 2010 on their PV's/singles, I'm happy that the group ended this way. They started and ended as school idols and not venture out into the professional world.

I can't wait for the BD to come out this December and watch it again.

Now Aquors of Love Live! Sunshine has a big shoe to fill in as μ's have set the bar high. But I trust on this Sunrise, they won't screw this up like whats happening to im@s CG.
Sep 13, 2015 12:25 PM

Sep 2014
Man, I have so many feels when they have to mention what will happen to µ's.

The pacing felt off in the first half. First of all, nobody even said they were in New York. Instead they expect you to know based on visuals (the Statue of Liberty is a big giveaway) or saying "the center of the world."

Umi was hilarious in this film. That hotel mayhem and her failed attempts to win Old Maid.

That first song where Rin, Hanayo, and Maki singing in the rain in NY came out of nowhere. Was not expecting that.

So, the theory of this mysterious woman being Future Honoka? I read that they replaced [As Time Goes By][1] in the JP with a humming tune in the NIS version. Why? Anyway, I didn't really like this sci-fi element. Seems like lazy writing to have to go to something like that over Honoka talking with µ's and their parents, sisters, etc over such an important decision. But I wouldn't be surprised that woman is a figure of Honoka's imagination. And I hoped that woman is not future Honoka because that means µ's never reformed.

I wanted some buildup to "Angelic Angel". There was no interviews, no introductions, or even if they was a damn crowd to witness them. I mean, we know Japan loves them, but how about some reactions from the Americans? And when did Kotori had the time to make those uniforms?

That trip to NY was over quickly. A little disappointed they didn't did more there.

The second half of the film revists the issue µ's had from the second season: what is µ's future? Obviously, they decided to disband, but they fucked up and got insanely popular to which they are placed with heavy expectations (me included) to continue µ's. Everyone doesn't know what to do, so they leave it to Honoka to decide. A-RISE shows up and ask Honoka to continue given that A-RISE will become professional idols. And I was hoping to hear an actual song from A-RISE but they played "Private Wars" cutting just before the good part.

Future Honoka arrives again out of nowhere to help give Honoka an answer. Lazy writing. But with future Honoka's help, Honoka has "fly" to her answer: Disband µ's.

Everyone else has arrived to the same conclusion, and I was tearing at this. Confirms that this is the end. µ's and A-RISE teamed up and gathered a bunch of random schoolgirls of like 300 to perform "SUNNY DAY SONG" out onto the streets. That crazy anchor arrived again.

Finally, time skip, and then the final song played with µ's performing at the Akiba Dome. I was crying, but I was hit with a bunch of feels.

Great movie.

But can't µ's some day be professional idols? I mean, they can reform after...six years. I know they will disband, but to never be idols again?

Didn't Nico said during the episode where they decided to disband that she wanted to be an idol again?

My heart just can't take them not being idols again. Their life as school idols is done, but surely they could resume idol activities after a couple of years.
exleader75Sep 13, 2015 5:46 PM
Sep 13, 2015 10:46 PM
May 2009
Got back from watching this in LA. Not the premiere, but still enjoyable to watch. Several things that I liked about the movie:

Biggest thing: ENGLISH VOICE ACTORS? OR voice actors that could speak english. I mean hey, it's not the best, but THEY SPOKE ENGLISH, no engrish business. Still, the NY part felt a little short, but it was enjoyable.

2. New pairing: Maki x Tsubasa was cute.

3. Cheesecake for dinner -> "That's the land of the free" xDD

4. And all the performances. Angelic Angel actually sounded really good, and the animation wasn't over the top. What I didn't like was the weird background transition they had throughout. Like, they just flashed central park b/c lol I'm in NY. Still, the fans and the hearts at the end was really cute.

Now just for some random blabbering. They honestly hyped up Angelic Angel to be like... that final performance. It was in all the PVs, and heck, the promotional poster has the girls in the outfits... then suddenly halfway through the movie. The large idol song was alright. The CG was a bit too much, but it kind of added a nice touch to what they were going for. Still, they brought good closure to u's. I've been sticking around since Snow Halation was released, and I think it's a good opportunity for the seiyuus to go off and do their own work. I also like how they left it off for the spin off they're doing with the two younger sisters. Anyways, that's my little blurb.
Sep 14, 2015 2:10 AM

Jul 2008
exleader75 said:

The pacing felt off in the first half.

That first song where Rin, Hanayo, and Maki singing in the rain in NY came out of nowhere. Was not expecting that.

So, the theory of this mysterious woman being Future Honoka? I read that they replaced [As Time Goes By][1] in the JP with a humming tune in the NIS version. Why? Anyway, I didn't really like this sci-fi element. Seems like lazy writing to have to go to something like that over Honoka talking with µ's and their parents, sisters, etc over such an important decision. But I wouldn't be surprised that woman is a figure of Honoka's imagination. And I hoped that woman is not future Honoka because that means µ's never reformed.

I wanted some buildup to "Angelic Angel". There was no interviews, no introductions, or even if they was a damn crowd to witness them. I mean, we know Japan loves them, but how about some reactions from the Americans? And when did Kotori had the time to make those uniforms?

That trip to NY was over quickly. A little disappointed they didn't did more there.

The second half of the film revists the issue µ's had from the second season: what is µ's future? Obviously, they decided to disband, but they fucked up and got insanely popular to which they are placed with heavy expectations (me included) to continue µ's. Everyone doesn't know what to do, so they leave it to Honoka to decide. A-RISE shows up and ask Honoka to continue given that A-RISE will become professional idols. And I was hoping to hear an actual song from A-RISE but they played "Private Wars" cutting just before the good part.

Future Honoka arrives again out of nowhere to help give Honoka an answer. Lazy writing. But with future Honoka's help, Honoka has "fly" to her answer: Disband µ's.

I also liked the movie, but the writing was kind of awful. The trip to NY wasn't even necessary in the end (the girls could have blown up in popularity in a more natural way like going viral or getting a big booking in Japan. I don't know why going overseas would change their status so much in their home country...)

And every insert song except the last one (and the ED) came out of nowhere and had no buildup. It was like the writers thought "hmm well we have six singles and we have to plug them in somewhere."

The ...future Honoka/Mystery lady was really dumb in my opinion.

And LL has always had pretty forced drama, and this movie wasn't an exception. It actually felt a little like a retread since u's had already decided on disbanding in S2.

The animation was also annoying. The movie should have looked perfect with how successful Love Live is, but it looked like a 90 minute TV episode.
Sep 14, 2015 7:14 AM

Oct 2008
Just came back from the SG screening and I can't believe that I'm not the only one who thought that she was the future Honoka. (^o^) ...man, the time paradox regarding the Mic.

Excellent show, but do have some complaints that have already been echoed by the previous posts. Firstly, the whole New York arc did feel really unnecessary. It lead to unnecessary comparison with the K-On! movie which handled it so much better.

A personal nitpick was the stylistic (?) integration of the songs into the movie. For some reason, each time they burst into song, they seem to summon a reality marble and instantly warp away. Really didn't enjoy that as it was rather jarring, took us away from the moment and left a lot to the imagination. Not sure if the songs were created for the movie or vice versa, but many of the situations did feel like they were written specifically to feature the songs.

I really do hate drawing the comparison, but the K-On! movie felt more organic with the song integration, with a clear in-universe reason for the conception, writing and performing of the songs.

Did a bit more research and I can't believe they're only offering the Shikishi with the Gold Class tickets... that cost 110 SGD.
ActarSep 14, 2015 8:35 AM
Sep 14, 2015 11:18 AM

Jun 2008
Actar said:
Excellent show, but do have some complaints that have already been echoed by the previous posts. Firstly, the whole New York arc did feel really unnecessary. It lead to unnecessary comparison with the K-On! movie which handled it so much better.
The comparison was more of the girls traveling overseas. For K-ON! is was a senior trip. Nothing more than that.

GarLogan78 said:
exleader75 said:

The pacing felt off in the first half.

I also liked the movie, but the writing was kind of awful. The trip to NY wasn't even necessary in the end (the girls could have blown up in popularity in a more natural way like going viral or getting a big booking in Japan. I don't know why going overseas would change their status so much in their home country...)

And every insert song except the last one (and the ED) came out of nowhere and had no buildup. It was like the writers thought "hmm well we have six singles and we have to plug them in somewhere."

The ...future Honoka/Mystery lady was really dumb in my opinion.

And LL has always had pretty forced drama, and this movie wasn't an exception. It actually felt a little like a retread since u's had already decided on disbanding in S2.

The animation was also annoying. The movie should have looked perfect with how successful Love Live is, but it looked like a 90 minute TV episode.

All three insert songs came out of nowhere. As I saw it, it was just a reason for each year to sing. It really didn't add anything to the story.

The travel to NY had me baffled also. Was it just to give the girls a new location for their song? Seemed a bit of a stretch for that. Considering how many times the mocked up a location when they did their songs when they were in Japan. For the most Americans, their idea of what a "school idol" is, is based off of "American Idol". Like the women who saw all the girls on that stage in Central Park, they had a slightly confused look on their face when Nozomi told them what they were and why they were there.

I did like the joke of Kotori of not forgetting her pillow or Maki saying she'll never fly coach again. LOL

The ending confused me. If µ's was disbanded, what was going on with Arisa and Yukiho? I know they wanted to keep the school idol going I was assuming that µ's would no longer be used because this would give the impression that they haven't disbanded. They had used "µ's" in their discussion. Oh heck, I wish I had the movie. I'd like to rewatch that ending to find out what is really going on.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Sep 20, 2015 9:37 AM

Mar 2012
I think the big difference between K-ON and Love Live's movies is the scale. In K-ON, main reason they go to England is just for a fun little graduation trip. They play a few concerts along the way but it's all very low key. The band's final performance is a little impromptu concert at their school. HTT might be super popular and successful in the real world but in their little universe they're just a little band fondly remembered by the students of Sakuragaoka.

In Love Live it's different in the sense that it's all huge and crazy and otherworldly. They get personally invited to do a gig at Time Square, they break out into Broadway style music numbers completely at random, Honoka literally meets her future self, they shut down Akihabara and bring together pretty much every school idol in Japan for a gigantic street performance and the movie is closed off with this stunning dream sequence esque performance. It's complete madness, but in a good way.

K-ON eventually becomes this sort of down to earth coming of age series about the girls just going about their daily lives and occasionally playing a bit of music. You never get to see the girls play at Budokan but that was never what the series was about. Love Live starts off small but gradually we get to see the girls transition from playing in a practically empty auditorium to performing at gigantic street parades in their honour with a million people from across the world watching them play live. Which is cool in its own way. It's almost as if the group's real life popularity has bled into the show.

But I can definitely see why people are making comparisons. Both shows had great first seasons, second seasons that improved on that first season in just about every conceivable way and a movie to conclude the series where they go on a trip (Which actually only takes up a small portion of the film). And to add fuel to the fire, the upcoming dub is being directed by Tony Oliver who directed the K-ON dub. Given all the female roles that need filling, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a few of the K-ON VAs popped up. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if every single one of them appeared in some capacity. Cristina Vee would be perfect as Umi.

Also they both aired on the Disney Channel in Japan which is practically unheard of for an otaku centric late night series.
Sep 22, 2015 3:40 PM

Jul 2015
the movie is playing in my town, but i've never watched the tv series. is it a bad idea for me to go watch the movie? i kinda wanted to see it since it will be removed from the theater very soon.
Sep 23, 2015 9:22 PM

Sep 2012
AX2015 said:
the movie is playing in my town, but i've never watched the tv series. is it a bad idea for me to go watch the movie? i kinda wanted to see it since it will be removed from the theater very soon.

Maybe, I think watching the TV series will help you better sympathize with the characters, and the plot as well

You can wait till December for the BD release :)
Sep 23, 2015 10:50 PM

Mar 2012
AX2015 said:
Binge watch the whole show in one day

Or just watch it at your leisure and wait for the Blu-ray in December. Your call really.
Sep 24, 2015 10:08 AM

Feb 2015
Came from the Chicago screening.

Great Movie. It really sets closure for season 2.
Though it's sad that μ's disbanded, they went in a good way.

NY trip felt a bit rushed to me honestly. But I guess that's just because it's a Movie and not TV

The future Honoka thought though is nice. They did look alike.
It's great that Honoka didn't quit the music business completely ^^

Maybe a few of the others too..? Maybe.

Anime | Profile | Manga
「The day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday I saw a deer, and today, you.」

Sep 24, 2015 8:51 PM

Nov 2007
AX2015 said:

There are official 30 min digest videos for both seasons of the TV anime, if you don't have the time to watch the full episodes before the movie leaves the theatre at your location. Links below (i'm sure there are subbed versions around if you can't understand Japanese):

Season 1

Season 2
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Sep 27, 2015 2:30 PM

Sep 2013
Saw it yesterday here in Mexico and I have to say if you are a fan of Love Live you ought to watch this movie. Great character interaction and conclusion to the series. You might not find it quite as enjoyable if your not a fan of the muses this is a movie targeted to the fans and contains nods to things that happened in the anime and indeed the movie also relies on the fact that you know the characters and situations they've been through together already. And YES I did cry like a bitch at when the credits started rolling.
See you space idol....
Edit: I can't listen to Bokutachi wa Hitotsu no Hikari anymore it's just to much for my poor soul to take.
AcidPunkSep 27, 2015 2:55 PM
Oct 7, 2015 1:18 AM

Jan 2014
"The definitive conclusion"

Overstated, but that's what I thought of this film.

I adored the Honoka-centered scenes and how they presented her indecisiveness and resolve. Though the presence of "Ghost Honoka" is weird, it doesn't irk me to the point of calling it a negative aspect of the film.

10/10. Would watch again.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 7, 2015 5:00 AM

Aug 2015
Just finished watching it in the Phil.A satisfying conclusion indeed, I'm glad they ended this show in a good way. Sorry Nico fans, MakixTsubasa are prepared to be sailed, that Umi went batshit crazy on overseas part, Future Honoka? appearing out of nowhere and I'm disappointed in the humming part since it's supposed to be sung just like in JP movie version(they said). Lastly my goodness the songs they had played in the movie stuck in my head,especially that one song with Eli as a center made my eyes and ears came.

Overall worth my money 9/10 (It would had been 10/10 if not for the wonky CG animation on some parts and that one rant about the humming).

I really hope the next gen of LL idols can match the greatness of this franchise and not end up as a trainwreck (looking at you Cinderella Girls).
Oct 7, 2015 5:03 AM

Mar 2012
What a Beautiful way to end the Franchise ;_;

11/10

it became my top 5 Favorite Anime Movie.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Oct 7, 2015 8:27 AM

Nov 2011
I just watched the film :D

It was just really good
It stuck with the show's original themes and gave good closure to the series.
And the best part is when they went to america no engrish yay!

Ad the experience was great too :3
Watching it alone with a relatively small audience you feel everyone in the this niche community laughing at the same jokes, tearing up at the same feels, and enjoying the great songs Love Live sang.
You just sort of feel that everyone is separately united in some beautiful way.

And it did have a REAL plot tbh haha
not like hey cute girls, yuri, mindless moe, etc
It was about the closure of the series, friendship, dealing with expectations, and most of all School Idols
Oct 11, 2015 4:16 AM

Apr 2012
Just watched this in a local theater earlier.
Wow, great movie! 10/10.
Really, it's a good way to end the story of Muse.
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Oct 11, 2015 3:52 PM

May 2015
When I first saw the mystery girl, I thought that she looked exactly like Homoka xD and eventually there are hints given that she really is the Future Honoka <3 <3 <3
Oct 21, 2015 10:05 AM

Sep 2013
Rewatch again just now and the satisfaction still the best. I want to let out these freaking tears in my eyes but I don't know how hard it is since I cried like god knows what in LL S2. I pretty damn sure that woman was Honoka since there was alot of hint about her.

I'm really looking forward the bd release since I'm in saving money mode currently,so why not right. Sunny day wow, sun power!
Oct 22, 2015 5:25 AM

Aug 2013
So I was invited by my friend who didn't mind paying for me, so I couldn't decline even though I have only watched the first two episodes.

The movie was good but now I feel like I haven't watched it at all after finishing the series. Hmm..
Oct 24, 2015 1:25 PM

Dec 2011
Just got back from MCM, having watched this in the Crystal to end my day.

This movie was essentially a microcosm of love live. Plenty of humour, great character moments and interactions, drama and decision making, a big of cheesiness, and a big dose of bittersweetness at the end. I wasn't the only one at the screening wiping tears from their eyes.
And of course there was the music.
Watching it amongst an audiance was an unusual experience for me - I hadn't been to a cinema for almost a decade and never to see an anime. At least a dozen people in the audience joined in the "nico nico nii" near the start which was funny.

Anyway, all in all it was quite an experience. It would have single handedly made today worth it just for that, were it not for the fact that today was worth it anyway.

In short, I loved it, and the franchise as a whole - a great experience far better than I could have possibly predicted beforehand. Feeling very grateful to those who created it, and of course to those who provided this opportunity for me to watch it.

It's kind of sad to think that it's all over, though*.

There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Oct 24, 2015 5:08 PM

Feb 2012
kuuderes_shadow said:
Just got back from MCM, having watched this in the Crystal to end my day.

This movie was essentially a microcosm of love live. Plenty of humour, great character moments and interactions, drama and decision making, a big of cheesiness, and a big dose of bittersweetness at the end. I wasn't the only one at the screening wiping tears from their eyes.
And of course there was the music.
Watching it amongst an audiance was an unusual experience for me - I hadn't been to a cinema for almost a decade and never to see an anime. At least a dozen people in the audience joined in the "nico nico nii" near the start which was funny.

Anyway, all in all it was quite an experience. It would have single handedly made today worth it just for that, were it not for the fact that today was worth it anyway.

In short, I loved it, and the franchise as a whole - a great experience far better than I could have possibly predicted beforehand. Feeling very grateful to those who created it, and of course to those who provided this opportunity for me to watch it.

It's kind of sad to think that it's all over, though*.

OMG, I was there too! Were you in cosplay?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Oct 24, 2015 11:10 PM
Jun 2014
Amazing movie !
I almost cried when listening "Bokutachi wa hitotsu no hikari" at ending
and very much slice of life of this movie
and the adult version of honoka is very great idea !

Nice job Sunrise!
Oct 25, 2015 3:18 AM

Dec 2011
Fortress_Maximus said:
OMG, I was there too! Were you in cosplay?

I don't do cosplay, so no.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Dec 15, 2015 4:57 AM

Nov 2007
It was bitter sweet. I loved it really. I was smiling like an idiot until the last segment which was very emotional. Even though they would be going their separate ways, μ's will forever be μ's — a school idol group. If I think about the whole story, the story remained true to itself, the fact that it's about school idols. :)

I think the 2nd year's song was the best. The 3rd year's was fun and the 1st year's was cute.

They really covered so many things. Teasers like A-Rise appearing and giving Honoka the option of going professional, new stuff like getting to see Umi, Hanayo and Rin's moms, unusual crazy stuff like Niko going nuts seeing Maki blushing over Tsubasa, usual mundane yet cute stuff like the endless spiral of Kotori stacking wins against Umi despite knowing she wouldn't give a rest without winning, adorable stuff like Eri's sweet sleeping face and her childishness we hardly get to see, comic reliefs such as Hanayo's desperation over rice, ever so refreshing stuff like Rin's energy or unyielding support of Nozomi.

The only thing I really didn't like was the fact that Honoka would end up performing on the streets of NY. I hope it was a metaphor and not her actual future.

This is a school idol franchise done right. Great job, Sunrise!

A 9/10. I will miss the girls.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 15, 2015 1:47 PM

May 2013
Decent watch though I felt that it was a bit awkward in some parts. Probably would've been an 8/10, but the last two songs and final moments of the film hit me so 9/10.

A nice conclusion to the Love Live franchise - both for the anime side and the real life μ's (final concert on 1st April 2016 - hope it's an April Fool's joke...). I wish it wasn't ending, but all good things must end sooner or later, and at least it ended on a high note.

I'll be looking forward to Aqours.

Thank you μ's for everything.
Dec 15, 2015 3:44 PM

Feb 2008
I was quite happy and smiling every time with this ending, no less crying, I was happy to watch love live again, but still sad it's end but it's has to end. Great conclusion.

Need 1080p version... :D

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Dec 15, 2015 3:52 PM

Aug 2013
That was really a bitter sweet ending, i really thought that they will turn professionals, but the history remain true to itself as school idols group to the end :' )

Its strange, this idol show its not realistic at all but became my favorite as idol anime. I will miss this one.
Dec 15, 2015 5:22 PM
Jul 2018
The movie was so awesome! I really loved it!

I'm going to miss this show!
Dec 15, 2015 6:08 PM

Dec 2009
OH MY GOD
This movie happy, cute, bloody hilarious, crazy, sad and beautiful.

I saw this subbed and immediately i was like WHAAAAT (The sky is falling!)
Wipe everything off the table, all previous plans cancelled, time to watch NOWWWWWWW

Worth every moment. I wish i saw this in the theatres; if anyone was even half as pumped as i was watching this it woulda been awesome. That bit around half way through when they'd gotten off the plane from New York (i already lol'd... yeah right, concert in times square!) and everyone's crowding for autographs then.... -Slips on glasses- "We're Stars!" -cue song- I totally lost it. I can imagine a theatre full oh belly laughing people, or people singing along, or shouting out "nico nico nii!"~ Oh man so good. There are some unexplained bits though.

I haven't been so happy or hyped up about anything in a while. This movie exceeded my every expectation.

I Love Love Live. Rabu rabu raibu~ I will miss you μ's TT^TT

Nork22 said:
Lastly what was amusing was during in the movie theater, there were a lot of girls squeeling during some of the blatant shipping moments. That was rather cute. Anyway, you can tell everyone certainly had a fun time watching the movie.
I think that's awesome. It's a perfect show that we're past homophobia culturally. It's about time people got that happy=happy and stopped whining lol.

SeibaaHomu said:
In Love Live it's different in the sense that it's all huge and crazy and otherworldly. They get personally invited to do a gig at Time Square, they break out into Broadway style music numbers completely at random, Honoka literally meets her future self, they shut down Akihabara and bring together pretty much every school idol in Japan for a gigantic street performance and the movie is closed off with this stunning dream sequence esque performance. It's complete madness, but in a good way.

Also they both aired on the Disney Channel in Japan which is practically unheard of for an otaku centric late night series.
Amen! Also, i keep telling everyone: Akiba culture is expanding exponentially. It's an unstoppable force of goodness that has room for all. When you hear talk about things like "the transition to Type-1 (global civilization)", they reference future economics and politics, future technology, future culture. Western video gaming culture and Akiba culture are going to be the primary world culture mediums in the future, i have little doubt of this. This "otaku centric" concept will eventually fade, just as most nerdy things have become so regular that it's barely even thought about anymore, it's just normal.

Oh yeah, i hear of comparisons with K-ON? Niet. Try AKB0048, that's a closer comparison in atmosphere and absurdity. Basically, glorifying girl idols.

They did an unusually decent job of showing the good side of american culture (although i'm not sure if that's NYC accurate or not, bit too well mannered), but they got the general feel within a realm of believability. No stereotyping, just other people in another place that's far away.

Yeah i thought that too, that would be a depressing future. Fortunately it seems it was a sort of timey wimey mirage conscience of her lonesomeness.
Nobody seemed to ask: where did the mic stand come from?

GenesisAriaDec 15, 2015 9:25 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Dec 15, 2015 7:01 PM
Dec 2013
I like anime with a proper ending.. like this one.
Dec 15, 2015 7:53 PM

Jan 2014
Fantastic movie! I love the ending. Farewell Muse!

The characters are as lovable as ever especially Nico :p
Dec 15, 2015 8:12 PM

Dec 2009
Oh yeah, i totally saw that Kotori-bomb at the end, them nostalgia funnies.

Dec 15, 2015 8:15 PM

Mar 2012
I'm going to wait until by Blu-ray arrives in the mail before I do a proper re-watch. Thought I've downloaded the movie just so I can take screencaps and re-watch some of my favourite scenes.

Gotta say though, I do wish I could go see the movie at the cinema again. Sure the first time I went to see it crowd wouldn't shut up and the second time there was this weird guy with horrible acne right next to me who wouldn't stop moving in his seat. But being able to see it on the big screen was a surreal experience and fantastic as the movie is watching it on a laptop screen is definitely a less cool experience.

All the same I'm glad to see 'When Time Goes By' intact. It's such a beautiful scene so it's a shame that it got taken out for licensing reasons. Though as half assed and poorly dubbed as the the solution was, I suppose it could have been worse.

Dec 15, 2015 8:47 PM

Dec 2009
West needs to start nurturing talent properly in these avenues. I woulda given a major ಠ_ಠ if i saw that. I mean they could have even just pasted it as an insert song with someone else singing it... They even removed the lip syncing already in that video! Seiyuu are just as much singers as actors.
I'm no dub hater, but 99% of dubs totally butcher the source culture media... Even if it's not bad, they always change it too much (they kinda have to). Taking it out entirely was laaazy. (Personally, i'd rather have something done good off the payroll, than not done at all.)

As far as Love Live goes, i haven't the faintest clue why they cut it out... Maybe NISA figured engrish was bad so nay! (the movie made it clear she was japanese singing an english song in engrish, all the rest of the NY folks spoke normally)

Meh, end of the day, i say go to japan and see stuff in theatres (you'd get a better audience), and/or import. Screw the weeb companies lol. They're only good at introducing the ignorant layman to what is good.
GenesisAriaDec 15, 2015 8:59 PM

Dec 15, 2015 11:14 PM
Jul 2015
im sad because there's no more muse (T-T).....btw, I can't help by thinking that the woman who told honoka to fly is honoka's future self,am i wrong? Her hair and eye colour is the same as honoka. *crying while thinking that muse is gone and no more of this anime....*
Dec 15, 2015 11:59 PM

Apr 2011
Waited a long time to watch this, it was worth it.
Dec 16, 2015 2:32 AM

Jan 2015
Best part of the movie.

Second best part of the movie.

This movie was great, it reminded me why I love Love Live! so much! Such a nice ending to the series and I found myself smiling all the way through the movie, not many series can have me smile until my cheeks hurt.

Also, I went to New York this year so it was fun to watch μ's go there!

7/10
Dec 16, 2015 2:42 AM

Mar 2012
GenesisAria said:
I'm no dub hater, but 99% of dubs totally butcher the source culture media
Not really, no. I've watched plenty of shows in both English and Japanese and in almost all of those cases the experience was pretty much identical. But that's not the problem here. In fact the main problem with that dub in particular is that it's TOO faithful to the point of sounding awkward.

As for the song, they had no choice but to remove it because they literally weren't even allowed to use it in the first place (Crunchyroll ran into the same problem). I'm just pointing out how awful their solution to the problem was.

As far as Love Live goes, i haven't the faintest clue why they cut it out... Maybe NISA figured engrish was bad so nay! (the movie made it clear she was japanese singing an english song in engrish, all the rest of the NY folks spoke normally)
No, I assure you it was a licensing issue. I don't even know how you came to that conclusion.
Dec 16, 2015 2:49 AM

Dec 2012
Enjoyable Movie, loved to see the girls again and the animation was top notch, I can't help but feel the music wasn't quite as catchy as some in the series so it let me down on that front, I honestly won't remember any from this Movie within a day or two which is sad :( WHERE WAS THE NEXT MUSIC S.T.A.R.T!!/Snow HALATION!?

The most I'll remember Music wise is the "Adult Honoka" singing, I mean it has to be future her right!? you can't just happen to be in a Idol Group in school in Japan by coincidence and know the hotel based on it being big near a big subway... AND THEN SHE BACK IN JAPAN, yeah Honoka lost it for a moment :P

I feel like on some level the impact I got from the K-ON Movie when I watched that a year or two ago had me some what let down with this one, hard to not draw the conclusion of a Movie = a trip and the whole group stopping at the end of it.

This movie they talk about an "end" song for the group and I was expecting something like K-ON and it just didn't match to that.

Overall Good Movie, glad I watched it, I will miss the group and the show deserves a re-watch later down the line... after I've got to over Music related Anime...
DarkSynopsisDec 16, 2015 2:57 AM
Dec 16, 2015 4:42 AM

Nov 2012
Fun movie I guess. Nico surely gets Jealous ;)

BTW, about the mysterious singer, is she really Honoka in the future, or is it just her imagination.
Dec 16, 2015 4:55 AM

Jan 2014
Kuro_Kishi said:
BTW, about the mysterious singer, is she really Honoka in the future, or is it just her imagination.

It is heavily hinted at that the woman was Honoka from the future. Not only did she seem to know about Honoka's concerns, but she later clearly referenced Honoka's attempt of jumping across the puddle during her early childhood, which nobody but the girls present should know about, let alone make such big deal out of it.
Her being a figment of Honoka's imagination is something I considered a possibility as well, but the pedestrian during her first appearance were clearly reacting to her song and applauding.

It's never truly confirmed though and thinking any deeper about it than the above is surely overdoing it - I doubt the creators themselves put more thought into it than that, they just went for something a little surprising and ambiguous imo.
Dec 16, 2015 8:57 AM

Dec 2009
Joekstar said:
Her being a figment of Honoka's imagination is something I considered a possibility as well, but the pedestrian during her first appearance were clearly reacting to her song and applauding.
It's never truly confirmed though and thinking any deeper about it than the above is surely overdoing it - I doubt the creators themselves put more thought into it than that, they just went for something a little surprising and ambiguous imo.
GenesisAria said:
Fortunately it seems it was a sort of timey wimey mirage conscience of her lonesomeness.
Honoka's conscience manifesting as an older of herself.... explanation with the least holes. Jiminy Honoka. The movie was disney-esque enough in writing.
Edit: i just clued in, the woman has Rin's hair colour, not Honoka's... Also, don't underestimate the amount of thought japanese put into things. If there is no solid explanation, then they designed it thoroughly for that purpose - to keep people talking. It's much less common that things get thrown in on a whim. I see loads of anime and such that wrote something in which seemed lazy writing from western perspective (what lazy writing tends to look like here) but was actually well thought-out and came to something that looks like lazy writing. They're written in ways where basics are spoon fed, but there's another layer underneath for the thinkers to notice, they don't expect everyone to be dumb.

SeibaaHomu said:
Not really, no. I've watched plenty of shows in both English and Japanese and in almost all of those cases the experience was pretty much identical. But that's not the problem here. In fact the main problem with that dub in particular is that it's TOO faithful to the point of sounding awkward.
I've watched many many dubs, and find the experience to be completely different. In cases like E7, CG, Haruhi, neither is better, but the experience is very different. Both enjoyable, but there was a lot to be learned about the story when hearing the japanese dialogue and a different interpretation of what they said in the subtitles. But, frankly american kids cartoons have better voice acting than most anime dubs. Have you ever heard lines like "to understand a culture you must understand its language"? Just the fact it's being translated (more accurately translingual interpretation, the two writing systems are incompatible) cuts out a lot of underlying meanings to things. Even just removing the honourifics you immediately loose elements defining their relations with others, same with dialects, speech ticks, and accents. That's not even mentioning cultural references and idioms. I'm not saying dubs are bad, some of them are pretty damn good considering, it's the fact that it was altered at all. You might as well just change all the colours while you're at it, and replace songs with ones that aren't relevant to the plot anymore! (ps: i'm not just talking about anime, all artistic media should remain it's original form. modifications made for the those too lazy to learn the culture are not cool.)
Yikes, didn't mean to turn that all into a sub vs dub rant (raw is best, learn the lang! XD)

SeibaaHomu said:
As for the song, they had no choice but to remove it because they literally weren't even allowed to use it in the first place (Crunchyroll ran into the same problem). I'm just pointing out how awful their solution to the problem was.
American licensing is stupid lol. Wait isn't Katyusha old enough that they could just make a cover and use it as an insert song?

SeibaaHomu said:
No, I assure you it was a licensing issue. I don't even know how you came to that conclusion.
Ah i see, i was imagining it being another Love Live song, i didn't realize it was an actual cover. Wait a second, it's old enough too! Copyrights erode after a certain amount of time. I dunno, it's all so silly.

Anyways, i'll stop rambling, i watch source media anyways. I'm just saying that if someone doesn't want the short end of the stick, they should do the same. I loved this movie, and would hate anything to damage it.
GenesisAriaDec 16, 2015 9:40 AM

Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What is wrong with them? (Spoiler)

Someone_OwO - Feb 17, 2023

6 by Someone_OwO »»
Mar 8, 2023 9:53 PM

» The way this movie ended gave me depression

Kuraya - Dec 31, 2018

3 by rach1m4n »»
Oct 8, 2021 10:46 PM

» [MOVIE SPOILERS] Who did Honoka actually meet?

maskedapple - Oct 4, 2015

49 by Eira_99 »»
Sep 25, 2020 6:42 PM

» I'm going to NYC, where are the real life locations? Help

PoLoBreak - Apr 6, 2018

2 by PoLoBreak »»
May 9, 2018 8:13 AM

» Will Love Live Continue?

trabeus1 - Aug 2, 2015

4 by CarbonMD »»
Apr 28, 2018 8:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.