Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 19, 2015 2:03 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pretty exciting match. This one imo has potential to be the best of the season up to this point. And I must admit, it's nice to see Maruo really focused. It's like he was built for this match.

Good momentum, game play movements, and in general all around good match imo.

Jul 19, 2015 5:57 AM

Jun 2013
Intense match they are both reading each other moves and trying to adapt
Jul 19, 2015 7:05 AM

Jul 2010
Despite being 4-1, I like how it feels like Maruo is getting cornered.

Ide's style of play is really interesting, especially how he attaches a sound to a hit. Also just some of his returns were simply amusing.
Jul 19, 2015 7:08 AM

Jun 2013
this is getting awesome.
Jul 19, 2015 7:20 AM

Jun 2014
ahhh, my weekly dose of baby steps is here
:3
Jul 19, 2015 7:37 AM

Nov 2010
Haha, that falling over the net scene was such a great moment. loved it.

And like always, i'm loving the Maruo mindset in the game.
Jul 19, 2015 9:49 AM

Jun 2015
Man I hate Ide, for some reason he just gets to me. Most likely because he just does guess work and gets it right. It seems unfair.

But man Maruo makes the best faces.
Jul 19, 2015 10:36 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
The crowd is getting annoying AF with their excessive cheering. I also don't like how Ide's instinctive strategy is working out. "If I return his 'whish' with 'tat-ta,' then his 'fwoom' should get a 'tatt-ta.'" Like DF! >.<

Maruo needs to step up his game a notch and own Ide back.

Jul 19, 2015 11:11 AM

Jan 2011
One episode = five games or roughly half a set--this match will probably require at least another two episodes, but that's not surprising considering how pivotal it is in Mauro's development. Mauro has a big lead, but Ide is fighting back and has compensated for Mauro's strongest shots. Next week we should see if Ide has any power-ups still remaining.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jul 19, 2015 12:18 PM

Jun 2009
retarded onomatopoeia Ide and his groupies :/ Ide fails - crowd fap, Ide scores - crowd FAP FAP FAP. Couch says "it's random" but in the end it's 100% effective :F
Jul 19, 2015 1:08 PM
Jul 2014
There were some great moments this episode but it's a little disappointing to see that the first episode doesn't even carry us to the end of the set. This is gonna be a looong match if we only get 5 games in one episode. Or the second set is gonna be a return stomp or something to tie it 1-1. I'd much rather see the second set than the entire first one, y'know?
Jul 19, 2015 2:32 PM
Jul 2018
Ide and Maruo are reading each other moves. It was a intense match!
Jul 19, 2015 4:00 PM
Jul 2013
inb4 natsu comes in the stadium yelling "gambatte ei chan"

i know that shit gonna happen fam
Jul 19, 2015 4:50 PM

Mar 2012
4-1 for Ei-chan so far. He's up two breaks, so it's hard to see him losing this set, though I do think Ide could make this a tight 6-4 or even somehow double break back into a tiebreak. Regardless of what happens, the second set and onward looks like they'll be extremely tough for Ei-chan. Ide with his intuitive nature is one where he could pull out all of the stops one set or so and then just completely tank sort of like how this match started out. This is indeed quite the perfect match for Ei-chan in deciding his future.
Jul 19, 2015 8:06 PM

Oct 2011
Ide making a comeback 0____0
Jul 19, 2015 8:39 PM

Oct 2013
Tat tat bam whish
Jul 20, 2015 12:55 AM

Jan 2013
Great episode, that audience can be annoying.
Jul 20, 2015 1:11 AM

Jun 2014
boom bam swish fam yom fink

episode in a nutshell
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jul 20, 2015 4:44 AM

Mar 2013
"Ide has touched the net."
Are you sure, umpire? lmfao, that really is the best moment in this match.

Ide's fans are really annoying me, though. They annoyed me in the manga but they're even moreso animated and constantly noisy. I find them particularly so though because they remind me of real tennis fans, mostly those ones at grand slams that the umpire constantly has to ask to be quiet so the players can actually serve in peace. The ones at Wimbledon always get to me, probably because it's the only grand slam that I watch the entire thing of, especially when people get so up Andy Murray's ass and cheer for him for basically nothing just because he's British. I mean, I'm actually British and it annoys me. Ide's fans are almost exactly the same, cheering because he managed to get literally one point during his return game. Reminds me of when a commentator said Murray had a "great hold" after he struggled through three deuces to get it...
Jul 20, 2015 9:01 AM

Sep 2014
A fantastic episode. The match is turning out to be a cracker! Maruo was doing really well, getting 4 games over Ide. Then of course, Ide decided to become strong lol. Guessing this match will last 2 more episodes. Also, the crowd's annoying, they can't shut up. >:|
Jul 21, 2015 10:27 AM

Oct 2014
Good episode, I really like Ide's playstyle. He's very different from the others and he looks and acts really friendly.

I want to be his friend :333
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 30, 2015 7:25 AM

Jan 2015
Damn this crowd is annoying... Though it's better for them to be hostile. Much more motivating to shut them up, rather than try to meet their expectations. But maybe not for Maruo.

Can't wait for Maruo to go "instinct only" mode, will be fun to watch him beat the blonde guy at his own game :p
Aug 13, 2015 6:36 AM

Nov 2010
The portrayed pressure on Eichiiro was done very good
I hope Nat chan finishes her game soon and go cheer for him to turn things around
Aug 28, 2015 5:55 AM
Sep 2012
IT WAS ON THE LINE

https://gyazo.com/322aa4023fc23184184617a728e8cd3f
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLiGKUY-pH4

joking aside it was a great episode, the crowd was a bit annoying but nothing to serious!
Sep 27, 2015 9:55 AM

Jun 2011
Can't blame the audience, I myself almost come to cheer for Ide, that guy just has that sort of charm. I am coming to like Ide a lot after the past few episodes, but my boy is still Ei-chan!

After the confession scene, for some reason the ending seems greater than ever (lol). It was somewhat depressing though, watching Ei-chan constantly stumble in the ED sequence, but the Ei-chan x Nat-chan scenes cheer me up, those were cute.

P.S. This anime has some really great soundtracks.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 16, 2015 9:58 AM

Dec 2012
Crowd's annoying.
Mar 3, 2016 11:45 PM

Aug 2013
For now at least... I'm cheering for you Ide too !!
Can't blame me.. he has the charisma hahahha. xD
But Ei-chan is doing good in this situation.
May 26, 2016 9:45 AM

Dec 2012
Ide is the same as Hinata in Haikyuu, ally these sounds are so funny. Great episode, I like to see Mario in difficulty.
Feb 2, 2017 9:22 AM
May 2013
Hmm ye, ide is annoying and crowd also. However, this match will be more interesting than previous ones.
Mar 18, 2018 2:40 PM

Jun 2016
I was thinking about this match earlier today and I realized it's doing something I've never seen before. The very meta-narrative is against Maruo. I said the last episode but in different words. Ide is a character who's set up to not only be a likable guy, with good friends, who saves kids and animals, and who's professional career rests on this match.. but with Maruo taking this massive start it's making Ide the underdog as well! Ide has everything going for him that a main character would and the promise with the kid going into surgery is already a flag he wouldn't be able to lose if this was a normal story, the underdog stuff is pushing it even further than that.
We've seen Maruo go fairly even but still win by a long shot with Miyagawa, we've seen Maruo absolutely destroy people like his first round opponent, and we've seen Maruo fight from the the ground up as the underdog to even keep up like with Araya. We haven't however seen him act as the dominant one and watched someone challenge him as an underdog and fight his way up. Already if we forget Maruo is the main character and started from episode 15 with Ide's perspective we'd imagine he would have to win from all of the story elements(writing wise) pointing to it. I've never in my life seen the protagonist challenged by the meta-narrative of the story like this and it makes this match fascinating.

I imagine to beat the fully powered up Ide, Maruo will need to learn how to counter his prediction skills in a way analogous to how someone would beat him in the little story about push sumo his posse spoke about. The dense data based Maruo will have to throw the read heavy and intuitive Ide an absolute curve ball, convince him he'll do something one way and pull the carpet from under his feet. That's my assumption anyways and that won't be easy to do. That being said it could be some other counter play to the push sumo metaphor we got. Natsu coming to cheer him on will probably be some help in getting him out of a slump if he feels like he hits a wall.

Speaking of Natsu, I think it's awesome how it's calling back to the practice match Maruo had with her. Using what he learned about getting used to the spontaneous and intuitive, he's going to try to use and understand someone who plays alike it on a much higher level.

Lastly, I like how Aoi said Ide was at a national level, and Maruo played at one making this a national level match through player skill and a crowd as big as this one is.
Jul 31, 2019 4:57 AM
Apr 2016
Ide is such a weird player, seriously. It's a hard match, that's for sure, strategy hardly works against him. Ei-chan is in the lead nonetheless, however, seems like Ide plans to comeback now.
Nov 28, 2020 6:51 AM

Jul 2017
The crowd wasn't as rowdy as I thought initially, but it's definitely ramping up as Ide is getting closer to the start of a comeback at the end of the episode. Can be annoying to deal with in Maruo's position but that's the nature of the sport and the situation.

Still, while Maruo did do a great job in breaking twice and leading 4-0 initially, Ide's intuitive style of play and ability to adapt to situations really quickly (despite some clumsiness at times) is pretty frightening, even when having a good lead at the start. Given it's a best of three sets kind of match, only makes the match feel more balanced than it seems on the scorecard.
Mar 23, 2022 12:12 AM

Jul 2021
The match felt so natural here
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2015

116 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Sep 13, 2023 9:50 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 16, 2015

51 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Sep 13, 2023 4:27 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 14, 2015

36 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Sep 12, 2023 4:37 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 7, 2015

33 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Sep 12, 2023 4:01 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - May 3, 2015

48 by ImmuneDark3 »»
Jun 21, 2022 5:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.