Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 4, 2015 8:39 PM
Jul 2018
Still better feels execution than Shigatsu. Good episode.
Apr 4, 2015 8:55 PM

Apr 2011
Plate said:
The inconsistent tone is not as endearing as they think it is. How many seconds after a little girl crying because she's going to die and the protagonist loli peeing herself? Jesus christ. The levity keeps the show from building any atmosphere whatsoever, and the protagonist might as well be a cardboard cutout of a dark haired guy with a white shirt.

Should've just made a VN instead.

Couldn't have agreed more
Apr 4, 2015 8:58 PM

Jul 2009
oh shit this is gonna make me feel so hard

at least the comedy balanced out
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Apr 4, 2015 9:07 PM

May 2012
nice feels lol, and then dat bathroom comic relief xD
this seems like a pretty good show so far, well have to see where they go with it, curious as to if theyll give any insight as to why the androids came about and why people would get them, etc
Apr 4, 2015 9:18 PM
Jan 2008
The feels forecast for this anime will be high. Tho that last scene was great haha
Apr 4, 2015 9:19 PM

Nov 2007
We have a contender here. And she is an android.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 4, 2015 9:22 PM

Oct 2013
Another good one from Doga Kobo
"Burn the heretics"
Apr 4, 2015 9:25 PM

Oct 2013
So, Plastic Memories seems to fall into the category of interesting themes that will amount to how well their executed and of course, the always important how interesting and/or entertaining the characters are. For starters, I'm hoping they do more with the characters. Also, an emotional manipulation alert triggered for me when the 1st Giftia retrieval Tsukasa & Isla handled together happened to be a little moe girl and the person which she "belonged" to was an old lady. Of course there are cases like that so it wasn't really a problem, but I just hope the show doesn't make a habit out of it.

Anyway, will be giving this one 4-5 episodes at the very least, though I'd prefer it gives me enough reason to stick with it :P
Apr 4, 2015 9:49 PM

Jul 2014
Pretty cool and original concept, I can foresee some feels in the future although I didn't really feel anything as of yet. I think Isla's time will come somewhere along the way which will probably be one of the biggest feels trip of this series.
Apr 4, 2015 10:30 PM

Jan 2011
This was definitely a great first episode and it has quite the interesting concept. It does remind me of Eve no Jikan and Isshuukan Friends quite a bit too. Isla looks really cute and Sora Amamiya's voice suits her really nicely. I have a feeling Isla will eventually have to lose her memories too but I still wonder why she was crying. Tons of feels in this first episode and I'm sure there's more to come down to road. The title of the anime makes more sense now. Looking forward to more Plastic Memories~
5/5
Apr 4, 2015 10:31 PM

Apr 2010
Wow. I didn't think I would cry on the first episode. That was good.

Isla has a funny personality. And I love her facial expressions.

Apr 4, 2015 10:36 PM

Oct 2008
overtly manipulative. this season's shigatsu, probably
Apr 4, 2015 10:51 PM

Dec 2014
Damn, that was sad.
Apr 4, 2015 10:55 PM
Nov 2010
The premise for this series is so promising. That last retrieval was heartbreaking. =(
Apr 4, 2015 10:56 PM

Jul 2013
Whoa.. so full of feels.....

If first episode is like this I can't imagine how it'll be at the end of this anime or when Isla's time is finally up.

The most promising start in this season so far!
Apr 4, 2015 10:58 PM

Jan 2011
That was ummm...kinda incredible. I use that word because although the AI story parameter is nothing new this caught me completely off guard. Very beautiful first episode that spoke more than just what the dialogue was. The comedy was surprisingly perfectly placed. For an original story, I'm very impressed at this start and set up.

No complaints. Excited to see how this develops.
Apr 4, 2015 11:23 PM

Jun 2013
The official poster image for this anime.. is that not a huge spoiler? (not that it wasn't predictable)
Apr 4, 2015 11:24 PM

Sep 2013
I like it. But it has so many feels. What i don't understand is if you know people will get attached to the androids given to them, why not make the androids life span longer or not give them to people at all.
There's no magical spell to save someone's life.
Apr 4, 2015 11:26 PM

Aug 2012
vasplar said:
Plate said:
The inconsistent tone is not as endearing as they think it is. How many seconds after a little girl crying because she's going to die and the protagonist loli peeing herself? Jesus christ. The levity keeps the show from building any atmosphere whatsoever, and the protagonist might as well be a cardboard cutout of a dark haired guy with a white shirt.

Should've just made a VN instead.

Couldn't have agreed more

Yep. Tone felt very VNish but I just thought the direction was awful. And the characters. And the animation a lot of the time.
Apr 4, 2015 11:27 PM

Dec 2013
Jose07 said:
why not make the androids life span longer or not give them to people at all.

I'm guessing technology isn't advanced enough.

They aren't having the androids forced upon them. They are taking them knowing they will expire eventually.
Apr 4, 2015 11:37 PM

Jun 2013
Jose07 said:
I like it. But it has so many feels. What i don't understand is if you know people will get attached to the androids given to them, why not make the androids life span longer or not give them to people at all.

It's like when an SSD is overused and the files become unrecoverable, I'd imagine. http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

Also, it's likely a binary hardware failure due to their "life span" of 81920 hours = 10*2^13, so their technology hasn't gone too far past ours.

After a certain amount of memory (in this case, probably literal memories) is collected, the machine can't store any more data and starts to wipe. It's curious why it's measured in hours though, because logically that makes no sense unless it's just an average. If it's not an average then they'd have programmed a kill switch to activate after that exact number of hours passed, but that'd be extremely lazy programming.

You can't just transfer the files, if the file is corrupt then it will transfer corrupt. The body stays clean though, as was shown when MC offered to insert a new "soul" in the girl after her current one had expired.

As for why they don't just transfer the data to another drive before the crash, I'm not sure. We have ways to check for errors in order to keep operating, and ways to recover files before it's too late. I'm guessing it's just capitalism, example being the Sony Timer fiasco. Or it's a bug that nobody has caught. Or the data just degrades naturally and there's no way to keep it from naturally degrading for whatever reason.

The better question is why the need for a recovery team. There has to be a very specific reason why they cannot just shut them down remotely, and it's likely some weak bullshit answer just to cover up plot holes.
ex_necrossApr 4, 2015 11:56 PM
Apr 4, 2015 11:50 PM

Jan 2013
I can imagine what the plot will be.
I loved Isla, such a great female character.
Apr 4, 2015 11:53 PM

May 2009
KirijoCorp said:
That was a pretty good start to the series! It had some comedy mixed in, but then the drama kicked in and I quite enjoyed it. Really liking Isla right now, she's really cute!

Artstyle is definitely one I haven't seen before. So many white lines.

Watch Mikakunin
Apr 5, 2015 12:01 AM

Jul 2013
Oh man, five minutes in and I could already tell that by the end of this I will FEEL the FEELS...

Anyway, seems really promising, Isla is as cute as it gets and so far it is the most interesting new show this season, looking forward to more

Ps: I DEMAND some nyanpasu from Isla before this is over
Apr 5, 2015 12:23 AM

Jan 2014
Feels trip from day 1....

We all know the out of place transitions to comedy are to keep your mom from seeing you crying like a b*tch about a loli when she suddenly walks in on ya.

Dis better not end tragically, it took me long enough to get over shigatsu...
Apr 5, 2015 12:36 AM

Mar 2013
What the hell man, first episode and already making me cry. The art is so pretty! Loved this Kazuki character, she's so like me, lol.
Considering that Tsukasa fell in love with Isla at first sight, and the fact that giftia have short lives, I can clearly see where this is going. I think we all do. Oh shit, don't wanna cry ;n;
Apr 5, 2015 12:48 AM

Jun 2011
I don't know. I feel kinda like a heartless bastard right now since i couldn't feel any emotions at all. I guess these types of shows isn't for me but i'll give it two more episodes.
Apr 5, 2015 12:51 AM

Apr 2014
I just decided to impulsively pick this show up because Dogakobo has made some pretty enjoyable shows and atleast makes anime that I find is above average, but my god.. I did not expect this.

From the entire premise, I figured as I was watching it at the start that I was going to cry my eyes out come the finale given what their job is. What I didn't figure is that I'd be shedding a waterfall of tears at the end of episode one.

This looks like it's going to be a very depressing ride to take, and one I'm very eagerly waiting for each week now. I didn't expect TOO much going in, I definitely feel I'm going to get a lot more than I bargained for.
Nop.
Apr 5, 2015 1:12 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
Nina's voice. Is that who I think it is?! >.<

This anime. Wow. A real surprise. First episode already and so much feels... ;__; Looks like this shall become one of my high priorities this season. Art is lovely. Good mix of comedy and drama. Now I'm craving for more!

Btw, after those feels, that ending had me laughing! >///<
Apr 5, 2015 1:21 AM

Jul 2014
We all know how this anime is going to end...
Apr 5, 2015 1:24 AM

Mar 2014
Well that was sad. And yes, like others have already said, the ending is going to be very predictable.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Apr 5, 2015 1:52 AM

Aug 2013
Opens with MC wondering what its like living life with a predetermined amount of time...immediately flashes to said robot girl running out of time, crying for most likely that exact reason.

That's how you know this shit is going to be the kind of feels trip that rips apart your soul at the very end.

That ending (pre-pee joke), was fucking sad too. I wasn't expecting them to throw it at us already.

The ending is already predictable. Lets face it. If you don't already know, then nobody can help you at this point. It's going to be all about the execution though. Shigatsu had the potential to make you feel enough feels to stop watching anime for a month...but it was executed poorly. The threw those death flags into EVERY episode and beat you in the face with them like a sock filled with bars of soap.

If this show manages to keep it toned down and subtle, while still making necessary impact. The feels are going to be massive and devastating.

This could easily by AOTS(Y) material too (in it's own genre). Impossible to have an AOTS comparing a show like this, with a show like Owari. How can you say one is better than the other when they aren't even relatable?

Barion-Zara said:
The concept of this series is really quite messed up though O_o! Why would u make living beings that have such a short life span?? I need more backstory and world building!!!

Think about it though. The company SA is the only company on the planet that can make these androids with artificial souls. They're the only ones with the technology and it's not perfect. There really isn't anything they can do to just "fix it" aside from making it better through trial and error like a smartphone.

And you could say that they could just not make them altogether...but A) that's not how business works. If there's demand, it'll sell. And B) despite them having a shelf life, there are lots of people that still want that time with a companion. It may be cruel to a degree, but people like that old lady who were all alone were definitely happy to have someone to be with for 9 years.
Apr 5, 2015 2:02 AM

Jul 2013
Smudy said:
Wow, that was wonderful, i got so close to crying for real.

The concept of this looks amazing and i see big potential here.

Same here.
So close to crying.

Didn't expect such an emotional first episode.

Isla kinda ruined it all at the very end of the episode though lol.
Apr 5, 2015 2:27 AM

May 2008
So like, the twist is gonna be that the protagonist is also a giftia, right? Because it feels like that's where it's heading.
Apr 5, 2015 2:38 AM

Apr 2014
Repect for this show that they can draw the audience without using panty shots and boobs grabbing. I really expected that out of this series, but I got none of it and in place of that good set of characters and story.
I am a straight woman and I like boobs.
-Said no feminist ever
Apr 5, 2015 2:47 AM

Mar 2013
i'm getting Time of Eve vibes here

Jun 2013
Heavy feels in the first episode.

Mar 2014
Zazie122 said:
So like, the twist is gonna be that the protagonist is also a giftia, right? Because it feels like that's where it's heading.
Lol, that seems extremely unlikely.

Another thing to note is how their encounter at the start isn't narrated by his present self but instead by him in the future, like he's looking back and thinking about the moment he met her and how he thinks he fell in love with her then even when he didn't notice at the time and given his tone of voice it only increases the chance of a sad ending.
Apr 5, 2015 2:54 AM
Jul 2018
While it has only been the first episode, I am optimistic that this show will turn out to be a great slice of life anime. I hope it'll delve more into concepts of morality, self worth and purpose.

The show has already laid groundwork for some those concepts as shown by the Giftia, Isla in the beginning scene and towards the end of the episode

One thing that I hope this show will do properly is the pacing and timing of comedic relief after heavy scenes, such as the final scene of this episode.

I hope that being an original they use these devices properly in a meaningful way to accentuate the story. Unlike some shows in which it detracts from the overall tone of the show. such as shigatsu where the comedy was mixed in scenes of drama making it a bit jarring. ( I did enjoy that show though :P )

I can't wait for next week!
Apr 5, 2015 2:55 AM

Apr 2013
Woah what a great start! I love this a lot already, season's dark horse as I expected...
Also definitely love the artwork and ost is superb! Great sci-fi setting as well~

5/5
Apr 5, 2015 3:00 AM

Aug 2013
prixxlol said:
this
Apr 5, 2015 3:10 AM

Aug 2013
CLBGM said:
Still better feels execution than Shigatsu. Good episode.

:D
But you know, it is rather easy to beat shigatsu :P
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Apr 5, 2015 3:35 AM

Mar 2014
Okay that was pretty interesting and I absolutely like Isla a lot because she is so cute, I guess Ten-chan did a pretty good job as her

The only thing I didn't like was the stupid useless newbie
Apr 5, 2015 3:42 AM

May 2013
This anime has potential. So I have hopes for its execution. Right Doga Kobo?
The world shall know the truth soon.
Apr 5, 2015 3:51 AM

Jun 2013
dem feels man :'(
Apr 5, 2015 4:08 AM

Mar 2014
Holy shit, this was unexpected. Perfect start, but I wonder if the series can keep it up until the end.
Apr 5, 2015 4:25 AM

Nov 2012
I don't like the humour or the android girl much, but apart from that, it was quite well done.
Concept is interesting, but they better have a good reason why the androids have such limited time to live.
Apr 5, 2015 4:30 AM

Aug 2013
XG-70d said:
Concept is interesting, but they better have a good reason why the androids have such limited time to live.

*cough* Cortana. *cough*
Apr 5, 2015 4:30 AM

Mar 2012
As expected of Doga Kobo :thumbsup:. I thought Isla is a super gloomy character, glad I'm wrong. I guess there are more to her..
Keep moving forward
Apr 5, 2015 4:43 AM

Dec 2012
I did not expect this to be this good. That's a nice surprise. The characters were really generic, but the story concept was pretty unique. And the animation was surprisingly fluid. Let's see where this anime is going. Oh yeah, & please improve the comedy timing.

XG-70d said:
I don't like the humour or the android girl much, but apart from that, it was quite well done.

Spot on. Couldn't agree more.
I like anime.
Pages (11) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Are they really Android?

Animo_san - Apr 13

0 by Animo_san »»
Apr 13, 5:58 AM

Poll: » Plastic Memories Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 27, 2015

534 by Moonlit_whisper1 »»
Mar 22, 12:13 PM

» Plastic memories

Golden__Darkness - May 16, 2015

8 by Shinetizinho »»
Jan 13, 6:25 PM

» How did you feel while watching this and what impression did the anime leave on you? ( 1 2 )

sorames - Jun 8, 2023

50 by maximovich »»
Jan 12, 2:09 PM

» Tsukasa new partner (episode 13) ( 1 2 )

KeitaIssei - Jun 27, 2015

52 by saikyozero »»
Jan 2, 10:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.