Forum Settings
Forums

Japanese Media Practices Self-Restraint Amid Hostage Crisis

New
Feb 1, 2015 5:33 AM

Nov 2007
Fuji TV has delayed the broadcast of episode 3 of Ansatsu Kyoushitsu (TV), originally scheduled to air on January 24th, to January 31st. FUNimation Entertainment, the North American licensor of the series, also delayed its stream of the episode by one week.

Producers of Tantei Kageki Milky Holmes TD also delayed the broadcast of episode 5, titled "Carol's Ransom." All seven TV stations broadcasting the series instead aired a rerun of episode 1. A new airing date has not yet been announced.

Episode 16 of World Trigger did not air as scheduled in selected areas on February 1st due to interruption by a news program. A new airing date has not yet been announced.

Rock band Ling Tosite Sigure also revised the lyrics of its song "Who What Who What," the theme song of Psycho-Pass Movie, for a TV performance to remove references of "knife" and "blood."

The Associated Press reports that the Japanese media is practicing self-restraint from alluding to the hostage crisis involving two Japanese citizens in Syria. According to the report, Japanese society "holds consideration for others in high esteem," thus jishuku (self-control) is done in order for broadcasters to not be seen as insensitive. The report also notes that restraint has been relatively mild so far.

Source: Associated Press, FUNimation, World Trigger Twitter

News submitted by arsonal
mta_pnFeb 17, 2022 6:34 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 1, 2015 5:57 AM

Jul 2012
Really unfortunate so many things were delayed and even changed because of these events.

RIP Goto.
Feb 1, 2015 6:09 AM

Apr 2012
It's Abe that should have practiced self-restraint and save them instead of wanking himself.
Feb 1, 2015 6:10 AM

Sep 2014
ISIS u damn bastards......feel the wrath of koro-sensei's tentacles!

Feb 1, 2015 6:11 AM
Mar 2012
And here's America, where we released The Interview because Obama said so.
Feb 1, 2015 6:37 AM

Nov 2011
RIP Goto. Really sad that something like this had to happen really...
Feb 1, 2015 6:51 AM

Feb 2011
Please, ISIS, just stop existing. Just go. Seriously how miserable can humans get.
Feb 1, 2015 6:53 AM

Oct 2013
Did they rebroadcast the nice boat clip instead?

Doing this will not make any difference...
Feb 1, 2015 7:01 AM

Apr 2012
All followers of Love Live cult, unite and bring down ISIS right this instant!!

NICONICONI!!!
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Feb 1, 2015 7:05 AM

Jun 2010
Isis why are you even doing this. We can all love each other! Koi!
Feb 1, 2015 7:08 AM

Jan 2015
Heartbreaking. I wish this evil could be brought to a end.
Feb 1, 2015 7:10 AM

Jun 2014
ISIS messing with other countries as usual. Japan should have paid the ransom...
All credit goes to Sacred.
Feb 1, 2015 7:20 AM

Jul 2011
FireEmblemIke24 said:
Japan should have paid the ransom...

Giving money for the terrorists to buy new weapons and other resources?
Feb 1, 2015 7:25 AM

Oct 2010
ainky said:
FireEmblemIke24 said:

Japan's been in a recession since last year. Any more money lost and they screw themselves over.
"People die when they are killed" - Emiya Shirou
Feb 1, 2015 7:46 AM

Feb 2012
Hold it down Japan.
Feb 1, 2015 7:50 AM

Dec 2013
This is such a tragedy. Shame that these things happen in the world we live in.
Feb 1, 2015 8:01 AM

Sep 2011
They did the right thing not paying the ransom. Those animals would have killed both hostages regardless. The world should continue to fund efforts against ISIS and all it stands for. Anybody that willingly aids those troglodytes should be killed or kept in prison indefinitely.
Feb 1, 2015 8:06 AM

May 2009
FireEmblemIke24 said:
ISIS messing with other countries as usual. Japan should have paid the ransom...

That would only give ISIS more incentive to kidnap Japanese people and ask for ransom money. After all, if it works once, it will work again. Besides, the men are already dead (or will be if they're not), so it doesn't matter anymore anyway. And even if they were still alive, I seriously doubt ISIS would have given the men back to Japan if they paid.

It's sad that this had to happen, but if one is stupid enough to wander into dangerous territory despite all the warnings, then anything that comes their way is their own responsibility, and theirs alone.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I like this trend of self-censorship. Censorship as a whole irks me to no end, and I hate it even more when something is censored, because a handful of people might take offended by it, or be reminded of a nasty experience they may have had.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 1, 2015 8:40 AM

Mar 2012
Still believed that Japanese government will send some secret ninja squad to save the hostage.
No seriously RIP...
Mankind’s greatest fear is Mankind itself.
Gendo Ikari (Neon Genesis Evangelion)

REAL LIFE Anime videos on my channel:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCof9ppdHcniLAS_pFoRkqfw
Feb 1, 2015 9:06 AM

Nov 2008
They should be holding freedom of expression in high esteem and air the episodes.

Feb 1, 2015 9:34 AM

Jul 2011

To hear terrorism affect anime is a sad day. And irks me to no end. :/
MirorinFeb 1, 2015 9:37 AM
Feb 1, 2015 9:44 AM

Jul 2011
iHitokage said:
Still believed that Japanese government will send some secret ninja squad to save the hostage.

I know someone who goes around in an orange suit.
Feb 1, 2015 9:47 AM

Jul 2012
I can see this thread turning into a huge terrorism debate pretty soon, unfortunately.

Either way, this was to be expected for AssClass and World Trigger. It's honestly really tragic what ISIS has (supposedly) done to the hostages. Apparently they haven't totally confirmed that the hostages are dead, but with the evidence shown to them they're inclined to believe it.

I just hope that the entire hostage situation gets resolved soon, and that Japan as a country stays safe considering ISIS may have bigger plans for them than just some hostages. My condolences go out to the families and loved ones of the hostages and to the people in Japan.
Feb 1, 2015 10:03 AM

Mar 2010
This is as real as it gets, hope things tune down a bit.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Feb 1, 2015 10:04 AM
Jul 2018
Oh isis, y u so barbaric
Feb 1, 2015 10:04 AM

Nov 2012
Tsk tsk tsk.

Regardless of what anyone does, whether they pay the money, or not, the hostages will die.

It's not like they have a sense of humanity, especially with the way they do the beheadings. I've been unfortunate enough to see those videos on my newsfeed.

Just keep holding up, Japan. I feel for anyone involved. Thank us, since this is partially America's fault for funding everyone over in the Middle East.

Islam as a religion is toxic in itself. Saying there are "good" Muslims or "bad" makes no differences when all follow the same religion and its set rules. Don't mean to offend, but looking at things logically you can't deny it being the truth. And I would never defend any religion; you can believe in some God, but you don't need to follow rules written in some book. Religions in themselves are interesting, from old Greek religion, to Islam, to Christianity, to Taoism... But being interested in fairy tales is different from following through to real world actions.

As you can see I'm trying to refrain myself from posting things that will get me suspended and try to soften up my writing, but my hate for ISIS is there...

What? You do realize that religion is neither good nor bad, right? Abolishing religion won't do any good to the world. Like the other person said, don't talk about things you don't understand.

@Ameko01
Do you want to see the beheadings? Delve deep into the Internet, and you'll likely find them somewhere, uncensored. Seriously, not everything is Obama's fault. Bush, and every other President is at fault as well. I'm tired of hearing, "blame it on Obama", just because he is currently sitting in the WH.
SnazzGaryFeb 1, 2015 11:20 AM
"Hey, assbutt!"—Castiel, Supernatural

"Do you ever have a problem where you just don't know how to reply to an argument-- not because you don't know the answer, but you just don't where to begin? Like, the foundation of knowledge you'd need to impart to this person before you could even begin to drag them out of their sinkhole of ignorance would cost thousands of dollars, if it were coming from a University?" -MAL in a nutshell.
Feb 1, 2015 10:10 AM

Oct 2012
I'm not watching any of these anime right now so it doesn't really matter...but still,
RIP Goto. Hope they can solve this soon.

Feb 1, 2015 10:21 AM
Oct 2012
And yet again the terrorists win. Violence creating self-imposed silence.

What a worm like group of people we have become (and I include my own country on this). Are feelings so tender that showing a knife in another context REALLY going to bother someone? If so, no wonder why we can't stand up to terrorists. Hell, we are so afraid of offending them that we can't even CALL them terrorists (or Islamic for that matter).

Are all terrorists Islamic? No. Are all Islamists terrorists? Again no. But does Islam have a serious issue in that a large minority of their members support such acts? Yep. And it is either on them to fix their internal problem or they are part of the external problem. One cannot claim that this is an isolated incident caused by social-economic/geopolitical factors like we can with the Buddhist in Burma, or the act of individuals (like the rare Christian terrorist are), Islamic terrorist is trans geographic, trans ethnicity, and growing in barbarity. It is rapidly becoming an existential problem. So again, either Islam fixes their problem, or it is a simple matter of us (secular liberalism) vs. them.

And no amount of self-censorship is going to change that reality.
Feb 1, 2015 10:47 AM

Jul 2010
World super power countries should unite and nuke those mudslimes already.
Feb 1, 2015 10:52 AM
Jul 2014
RIP :(
Feb 1, 2015 11:08 AM

Jul 2011
SnazzGary said:
Regardless of what anyone does, whether they pay the money, or not, the hostages will die..

If they don't kill the hostages they can kidnap again to get paid. It looks like the Italian government has paid the terrorists to let free 2 italian hostages last month.
Feb 1, 2015 11:09 AM

Jun 2010
Once again the media and our governments are playing us like sheep. Has anyone actually been able to see the videos that have supposedly been posted online? It seems like we have got nothing to go off of other than what our politicians (people we vote into office that end up lying to us and stabbing us in the back) tell us and the news reports with no video or significant evidence that the beheadings took place. You cannot believe everything you see or hear on the news especially with the type of nitwit currently sitting in the White House. I am sorry I come off as being insensitive, but I am having serious doubts about these beheading videos that we aren't even able to see or find.
Feb 1, 2015 11:15 AM

Jun 2013
HandsomeMan said:
Islam as a religion is toxic in itself.
Check out Malala Yousafzai and then think about what you said.
Feb 1, 2015 11:22 AM
Oct 2012
Ameko01 said:
Once again the media and our governments are playing us like sheep. Has anyone actually been able to see the videos that have supposedly been posted online? It seems like we have got nothing to go off of other than what our politicians (people we vote into office that end up lying to us and stabbing us in the back) tell us and the news reports with no video or significant evidence that the beheadings took place. You cannot believe everything you see or hear on the news especially with the type of nitwit currently sitting in the White House. I am sorry I come off as being insensitive, but I am having serious doubts about these beheading videos that we aren't even able to see or find.

I am distantly acquainted with the Daniel Pearl family, yes beheadings like this occur. The reason you can't find them is that they get pulled once Google is aware of them. Google had to testify before the European Parliament on this the other day

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/youtube-unable-to-eliminate-all-terror-content-due-to-volume-1.2083993
Feb 1, 2015 11:36 AM

Sep 2013
I wonder what happens when China gets involved.

TBH I think ISIS will probably not even touch Chinese citizens..

Feb 1, 2015 11:40 AM

Jan 2014
Such sad events
RIP Goto
such inhuman acts should be stopped as soon as possible
Feb 1, 2015 11:42 AM

Nov 2008
trabeus1 said:
I wonder what happens when China gets involved.

TBH I think ISIS will probably not even touch Chinese citizens..

China has already hung Islamic terrorists since 2010

Feb 1, 2015 12:10 PM
Oct 2014
These retards are unbelievable

What they're doing is completely immoral and stupid.

I feel sad for Goto
Feb 1, 2015 12:34 PM

Jul 2012
God damn it, ISIS.
How does it feel knowing almost every sane and reasonable person wants you wiped off the planet.
AnimeOverlordFeb 1, 2015 12:42 PM
Feb 1, 2015 12:37 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Takuan_Soho said:

And no amount of self-censorship is going to change that reality.

^This.

I don't think the censoring is actually having any effect at all.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Feb 1, 2015 12:51 PM

Feb 2011
as humanity does not evolve ... the world will continue cruel and inhuman ....
Feb 1, 2015 12:58 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
This thread is about the censorship of anime and other media in Japan in result of the recent crisis. It is not about the crisis itself, the ISIS, nor religion. And neither is it a thread for you discuss who should be killed or not.

Japan self-censoring has nothing to do with terrorism winning. As explained in the article, it's a result of their culture and not wanting to be seen as insensitive or making light of a very bad situation currently affecting Japan. They self-censored after the tsunami in 2011 as well, which had nothing to do with terrorism.

Please keep the conversation on this topic.
Feb 1, 2015 1:06 PM

Jun 2014
ainky said:
FireEmblemIke24 said:

Still a better alternative than watching them get executed right in front of their eyes. I mean seriously if America can prisoner-swap Al-Qaeda members for an American citizen then surely they could have done this. Anyway this is only my opinion even if this has further implications down the road.

RIP Goto

Need to keep this on topic, just because some anime aren't airing doesn't mean it's the end of the world. Watch older series or better yet get another hobby which the majority of people should have
FireEmblemIke24Feb 1, 2015 1:12 PM
All credit goes to Sacred.
Feb 1, 2015 1:13 PM

Jan 2013
That censorship is retarded. Why censor knife and blood for shit like that? They've already showed insensitivity by making dumb memes of ISIS, there's really no point in censoring actual media
Feb 1, 2015 1:21 PM

Mar 2014
VitaminCaim said:
That censorship is retarded. Why censor knife and blood for shit like that? They've already showed insensitivity by making dumb memes of ISIS, there's really no point in censoring actual media
They don't want to be criticized I guess. There is always a tiny but noisy bunch of people that complains about the most trivial things when something like this happens and they'd probably consider that ''showing knives on TV when people have been murdered by terrorists with knives is respectless to the victims and their families''
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 1, 2015 1:26 PM

Mar 2012
Mirorin said:
To hear terrorism affect anime is a sad day. And irks me to no end. :/

It didn't affect the anime schedule itself, they just had some "shows", "TV programs" and "News programs" replacing a few of the airing anime... I don't see a problem, people really should give ISIS more attention than to anime. I just hope this shit comes to an end in a few years, they're annoying, while we are living "free" they come and destroy our "freedom". Then they find it offensive that USA goes to their countries killing everyone... What do they expect? That's just natural since it's been like that since the start of humanity, if ones don't stop the others won't stop as well, infinite loop of hatred.

«Darkness. When everything that you know and love is taken away from you so harshly. All you can think about is anger, hatred and even revenge. And no one can save you.» by Orochimaru (Naruto)

I'm putting "freedom" and "free" in quotation marks because we don't really have those, we think we do but we actually don't, we're constantly controlled mainly by nations.

VitaminCaim said:

It's because Japanese people actually care about their country, they don't like to be seen as cold-hearted by others because they care of their own "image"/reputation as well. In a country like Japan people would find minimal stuff like "knife" and "blood" meant in a song offensive/insensitive when something bad that happened recently had a connection to those words. Japan isn't so insensitive like the majority of the countries in this world... In USA they wouldn't give a shit, maybe they would even make jokes about that on TV... Which is actually pretty common to happen...
b1GZZFeb 1, 2015 1:37 PM
Feb 1, 2015 1:43 PM

Jun 2011
VitaminCaim said:

Because adding more fuel to the fire is a good idea and isn't totally insensitive or anything.

While insensitive, those memes were made as a way to fight back against ISIS, and for the Japanese to show that they weren't going to be ruled by fear. Though I believe it was a bad way to do so. But that's different, because that was done largely by anonymous individuals. Whereas if a TV station airs content that is offensive, there will be a lot of complaints targeted towards that station and could lead to something worse happening in relation to the series or station. So just because of what a bunch of individuals did online, the media has to follow suit and leave things uncensored? No lol.

That being said, right now a lot of people are probably afraid of what comes next after ISIS allegedly stated that "The nightmare for Japan has begun", and airing things that have insensitive material in relation to the murder would make things worse for those people. Plus airing those episodes is insensitive and disrespectful to the memory of Mr. Goto, Mr. Yukawa and their family and friends.

The episodes will be aired eventually. There are a plethora of other things to do while we wait. Go back and re watch something, or find something new. Patience is key.
Playstation Network ID - Overlord-Takeshi
Please feel free to talk to me! I love making new friends with the same interests as me!
Feb 1, 2015 1:45 PM

May 2009
b1GZZ said:
people really should give ISIS more attention than to anime.

Maybe, but not as massively as the media is doing now. The way the problem is handled now only works in our disfavor. Each time ISIS rears its ugly head, the media jumps on it like a hungry predator. Newspapers get printed with big, bold headlines and several pages outlining the problem, the news comes with flashing headlines screaming bloody murder for hours on end, talking with "experts", who tell us stuff we already know.

Now, if this were a major terrorist attack on Japanese soil, in which many people died, I could understand them wanting to be a bit discreet, but all this hassle for two random men isn't worth it, IMO.

Also, where do you draw the line? Should the media censor itself each time someone gets stabbed, or shot to death? What about someone dying in traffic? if a guy gets run over by a car, should any show be censored that contain something that might make someone upset?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 1, 2015 2:38 PM

Jun 2008
A nice small gesture to show compassion.
Feb 1, 2015 3:14 PM

Nov 2011
So how did I watch episode 3 of Assassination Classroom on the 27th if it was delayed to the 31st? o.O
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Video Game 'Tensui no Sakuna-hime' Gets TV Anime in 2024

DatRandomDude - Mar 9

18 by malvarez1 »»
30 minutes ago

» 'Tensei shitara Dainana Ouji Datta node, Kimama ni Majutsu wo Kiwamemasu' Reveals Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - 9 hours ago

1 by Badonkers »»
8 hours ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/18]

Snow - Apr 5

29 by RealNath »»
12 hours ago

» North American Anime & Manga Releases for May

Aiimee - Yesterday

0 by Aiimee »»
Yesterday, 10:47 AM

» 'Senpai wa Otokonoko' Announces Additional Staff, Theme Songs

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

0 by DatRandomDude »»
Yesterday, 8:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.