Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
May 21, 2013 10:38 PM

Jun 2008
Well this wasn't a true final episode being that Ginko's travels continue. But I guess that's what we get, and what a series it was. Really loved it, wish there was more to watch. I could watch countless more episodes like these 26.

This episode was a departure from a lot of the other episodes being that Ginko only came into it in the end and had a minor role, albeit he was a major player with curing the children.

All told, 10/10. Loved just about every minute of it.
May 22, 2013 7:45 AM

Jul 2008
I had this on hold for about 5 years. Finally. finished. it!

I recommend to not watch more than 1 episode per day or even per week. This kind of episodic anime leaves me satisfied after watching just one episode.
May 31, 2013 3:16 PM

May 2013
Such a great anime it was..
Wasn't really that great as a final episode as was already said here.
But it was a very odd feeling watching Ginko in another ones eyes especially in his childhood. Truly adds valueble insight in a Mushi-shi's life as the entire series did.
Jul 9, 2013 11:08 AM

Dec 2012
What an anime!!! Like a walk in the forest.Beautiful, poetic and relaxing like the sound of the sea and wind. Even with the sad stories Mushishi made me feel relieved. I don't know why...
I don't mind the "not really an end" thing cause it fitted the episodic and fluid character of the series.I am so gonna miss Ginko :(
Jul 17, 2013 5:14 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Gin-iro said:
Ironic how the last episode had the least amount of Ginko.

I think it was a perfect last episode. In the end, the mountain had changed, giving a sense that everything changes eventually. That's the nature of life and time. It kinda gives you the feeling that, though Ginko was a good Mushishi, there will be more after him and there will still be more Mushi to be discovered.

Great perspective on the last episode :) That's what I thought too, that this episode was about change and how life goes on. The mountain changed, but Taku is still living there. Ginko kept moving on after Nui's death and became a mushishi. Even Isaza, who never went back to the mountain, is still good friends with Ginko. The ending of this gives me the same feeling as all the finales of each season of Natsume Yuujinchou, calm, nothing more, nothing less, but still with a nice theme to tie it all off. This series is great in the way it creates the environment and ambience of the world, along with the beautiful stories in each episode. This was a breath of fresh air, I loved seeing all the greenery, the nature. I hope one day they will make a second season, even just 13 episodes is fine ^^ I will miss this and probably will rewatch it one day.
Jul 25, 2013 9:30 AM
Jun 2013
An ok episode not the best to go out on. The show on the whole I must say was great. With only 1 story I didint like. I wish we saw the last days of ginkos travels.I looked up the manga and it seems to pretty much end the same. Just another story and thats it.
Jul 31, 2013 7:30 PM

Aug 2010
Weird that Ginko wasn't the MC of this episode. Think it would be better if the last episode centered around him as a child. Pretty good anime overall. Some episode were just brilliant.

8/10
Aug 8, 2013 5:07 PM

Apr 2012
this anime was very peaceful yet very interesting.
it showed some new perspectives in life and taught meaningful lessons in a strange way.
i'll always remember this show and ginko.
"The World is filled with life unknown to man."
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 16, 2013 1:02 AM

Aug 2012
Brilliant series. Simply brilliant. Loved pretty much all of it. Serene yet mysterious atmosphere, intelligent thought provoking subject matter, interesting episodic stories, and a cool, but smart main character. Fantastic. First series I've commented this much on in fact.This last episode did end on an open ending, but it works well for such an open free flowing anime like this. Only problem is it's over. I'd love a 2nd season. Well, hopefully will continue from here in the manga. Series gets a 10/10
Aug 16, 2013 5:20 PM
Jul 2013
This episode was amazing. So as every other. When i have started watching it, i thought (at the beginning of that anime), that it will be boring and schematic. But it wasn't - every episode was 'magic', was about some other incredible story, and overall it all was something 'special', which i can't describe with words. There are no words which can describe this anime. It was really unique.
Aug 24, 2013 8:54 AM
Jul 2013
I'm going to miss watching such a peaceful show with a beautiful story every episode.
10/10
Sep 7, 2013 3:25 PM

Mar 2012
Plate said:
Lister said:
Maybe because it's a slice of life kind of anime, that's why it has an open ending, like "life goes on" or something like that
I'm satisfied with the ending, since i watched many anime with this kind of ending

Although i'd really love to see more of the story between ginko and the one, that women who has ability related to ink?(i forgot), she's cool

It has an open ending simply because the manga is not done yet, the anime ends in the middle of the manga. They didn't just tack an ending on for the sake of closure, I like that.

I'm guessing this means there's a possibility of a 2nd season? Hope it actually happens, quite enjoyed this series.

9/10
Sep 20, 2013 4:57 AM

Apr 2008
Enjoyed the Journey. T'was nice and relaxing. :)
Sep 22, 2013 10:36 AM

Mar 2012
There were a few episodes that were pretty uninteresting as far as plot goes, some were absolutely fantastic. I'm going to miss watching Ginko and his adventures....9/10

xAvengerx said:
I'm guessing this means there's a possibility of a 2nd season? Hope it actually happens, quite enjoyed this series.

9/10

I wish....but this season is about 6-7 years old....if the anime adaption was a big success I think there would have been a 2nd season by now, but...maybe?

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Oct 17, 2013 10:56 AM

Dec 2011
Since there was no definite ending I still feel like watching another episode in the evening before I realize this was the last one. It was a relaxing anime =-=
Oct 26, 2013 7:58 AM

Dec 2011
Doesn't really feel like an ending to me. But still a great series to watch.
Nov 3, 2013 2:23 PM

Jan 2012
what a relaxing anime .
Good anime

Jan 11, 2014 8:06 AM

Dec 2012
It was interesting to see a story that took place over a larger period of time that Ginko had a connection to both as a child and adult. The story of the mountain was interesting and overall this was a calm and easygoing way to end the series. It reminded me a bit of Kino no Tabi, but I won't spoil the surprise.

My journey through this series was definitely a fascinating one. It took two years to finally open my mind up to it, but it was well worth the wait. This has turned out to be a great surprise and I found myself enthralled and captivated by each new story, wanting to see the various mushi and the way they impacted the world. The atmosphere, storytelling, and music were all breathtakingly superb and I didn't feel like there was a single dull episode. A very rich series filled with down to earth characters as well as an interesting look at the fantasy of life force and nature.

Stuck between a 9/10 or 10/10, I'll have to give this series some serious thought. Looking forward to watching the special later tonight and I await the second season this spring.
Jan 14, 2014 1:45 PM

Nov 2007
I re-watched the series after watching the special and it's just as good as I remember. I think I enjoyed it even more this time around, seeing it again with an older perspective. I think it's about 4 or 5 years since the first time I watched it. I have a greater appreciation for the things the series presents to us.

The art and animation haven't aged a bit. There's not that much difference, if any, between the tv series and the new OVA. I think that shows how good the series looked originally. It's still elegant and beautiful in its simplicity. The music is still breathtaking. It's still a masterpiece artistically and story-wise.

One particular thing I really noticed this time around was the voice acting. This show is so incredibly Japanese that I must say there is an element to it that can only be achieved with the Japanese language. The narrator in particular adds a certain mood that I just can't describe other than as Japanese. Same with Ginko. His VA hasn't had that much work in the anime industry but I think it gives him a raw, more realistic feel to it than other VAs who have more "polished" and dramatic performance-voices. The grounded, understated performances help bring forward the stories even more.

I'm looking forward to the second season so much! I hope there's more stories related to Ginko, Tanyuu, and Adashino.
Jan 14, 2014 4:38 PM

Mar 2010
Mushishi is a great show , 9/10...this is one of the very few anime that I found sometimes rather hard to comprehend..well perhaps it is targeted for old people/adults , I tried so hard to extract and understand what this story try to convey and the secret message behind every episode . There were certain scenes that I replayed twice or more just to get the hang of it. But , it was worth it. I can't wait for the continuation on this april . 9/10 . I love this show :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 21, 2014 11:51 PM

Oct 2013
a bit dissapointed with the last episode honestly, it didnt feel linked at all really with the series(i mean it would have was ok for a normal episode, but seriously for a ending)=mehhh

p.s overall, its a great serie, a excellent episodic show, i was not able to watch the show in 2-3 days, it take me 4-5 days to finish it, seem that slow pace and relaxing episode cant get me more that 5 episodes in a row, otherwise i become bored quick.
Feb 9, 2014 10:12 AM

Nov 2010
This show has been on my watchlist forever, but I've never started on it until the new OVA was released and second season announced

Finishing Mushishi is quite hard if you planned to marathon it
I ended up taking long breaks in between due to it's powerful story presented each time

At first glance Ginko resembled Ning Choi-san from a "Chinese Ghost story" or a mature Kitarou
These stories do have some similarities adding Shaft's Monogatari's franchise, "Liaozhai" would be the closest one, since it tells a folktale story in one episode as well

Ginko's background story was about a handful for Romance I would say Suzu or Tanyuu coming very close to him
His past as Yoki came at the right time and explained a lot

Animation wise it started with a lot of dark/green as an environment
That changed halfway and 9-10 towards the end there is a noticeable increase of visuals and colors added
Which were needed for the increasing action for supporting it's tale
The soundtracks that were added suits the events

I loved the pace, flora & fauna, Ying & Yang, rural or secluded setting that were used
And each of the stories gave impressive reflections and while most ended bitter then sweet it worked great to me as a viewer

The humor with the typical anime faces came in halfway and it was amusing to see on Ginko and the other characters

This is truly a masterpiece especially to those interested in, mystery, (old) Japanese culture and their love for nature
Feb 9, 2014 2:57 PM

May 2013
This is not the best episode in the series but it was still decent. It provided a different perspective of Ginko from another person.

Overall, I thought this series was great. Most of the stories in this series was well done because of how they are metaphoric to various social issues that people endure in their lives in the real world. I like how the mushi are portrayed as driving forces towards various human social issues. The soundtrack was great as it provided a peaceful atmosphere to the show.
Conan_KudoFeb 9, 2014 3:29 PM
Armageddon was yesterday, today we have a problem.
Feb 9, 2014 11:46 PM

Oct 2013
i feel like any attempt to end this show properly would have miserably failed.

they did the show justice for sure
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Feb 13, 2014 8:42 PM

Aug 2012
What a ride. I enjoyed almost every episode of Mushishi. I like how at first it seems that it's simple but then it can became pretty deep. Learned a lot from this series. Looking forward to the second season this april.
Feb 18, 2014 6:46 AM

Jan 2013
The episodic nature of this series was perfect. A collection of tales of how the Mushi interact with humans. More importantly however, was how this supernatural interaction led to reveal themes and occurances of everyday human life. The emotions and actions taken by the characters can be easily relatable, even if there are no Mushi in our world. An absolute masterpiece anime with a gorgeous OST. I hope the 2nd season can retain the same style.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Feb 22, 2014 3:24 PM

Mar 2013
This anime was completely beautiful in every way. The intellect Ginko carried along with various characters per episodes emotions and problems were written out very nicely. The way the Mushi presented itself with the humans in every episode and even interact with them with actions, but barely any words was beautiful in itself. Really glad I decided to finish this series

Hyped for season 2 of this anime in the Spring Anime Season
Feb 26, 2014 1:50 PM

Sep 2011
That last episodes were awesome!! *o*
Can't wait for the next season :3
Mar 6, 2014 10:03 AM

Apr 2012
I really loved this show, so glad season 2 starts soon. Now the problem is how to fit this into one of my favourites!
Mar 19, 2014 10:13 PM

Aug 2013
I'm ready for season 2 :D!
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Mar 23, 2014 10:39 AM

Oct 2009
Excellent series! It's a really beautiful show and rather unique as well.

Nice to see a little background story on Ginko, overall I think it was nice way to end the season.
I really do hope we get more development on Ginko and it would be nice to have more regular characters as well, maybe.

9.5/10
Apr 5, 2014 9:40 AM
Jun 2008
Finally watched this final episode of the season. Been going really slow on this masterpiece till the second 2 starts. So it's time get hook on more of it.

10/10
Apr 16, 2014 1:01 PM

Oct 2013
I just love the ost. 10/10
Apr 19, 2014 9:40 PM

Jul 2012
Not entirely my cup of tea, but #respect for such a clean, calm, and refreshing series. I might have enjoyed it if I watched it while it was airing because marathoning this show is really tedious.

Onto season 2. Finally.
Apr 25, 2014 7:36 AM

Sep 2013
Aww, I kept on thinking that one of those two guys actually became Adashino- Oh well.

The first episode of this series put me off a bit (yah I got bored) but I decided to watch the second episode a week ago and I do not regret that decision.

S2! SMOKE MUSHI ERRYDAY
Apr 30, 2014 10:29 AM

Dec 2013
That was a great way to wrap up this season.
May 16, 2014 6:05 AM

May 2007
A really nice mellow episode about friendship. This episode really didn't feel like an ending episode but that doesn't matter now for me since the manga has finished albeit with an open ending and there's a TV special as well as a 2nd season to see.

I've giving this awesome series a 10/10. It's definitely my kind of anime.
May 20, 2014 4:49 AM

Jul 2012
Tranquil, heartwarming and bittersweet tales told in a gentle and wise manner.

I love it <3

Mushishi is amazing, just amazing.
May 24, 2014 5:56 PM
Feb 2010
Fabulous!! All in all, a great episode and ending for the season!
This anime has been an enchanting adventure in every possible way, from beginning to end.

Reminded me a lot about Kino no Tabi and Natsume, but it was a lot more moody and mystical.
Jun 3, 2014 4:45 AM

May 2013
It was pretty nice to see that Isaza still keeps Taku and the mountain on his mind even though it's been a decade.

This episode's message to me was that, despite not meeting for a long time, the memories and friendship you made long ago won't fade.

Great way to end the series.

10/10 overall.
Jun 4, 2014 4:36 AM

May 2013
Each ending OST makes me feel living in different world.
Jun 18, 2014 9:06 PM

May 2013
Great episode, it showed us tiny bit of what Ginko was like when he was a child.

Overall, I really like Mushishi, even though I didn't marathon it, I was quite addicted to it. Each episode is a different kind of fell, 10/10 for me.
Jul 16, 2014 12:08 AM

Oct 2013
great fucking show
9/10 for me
now to watch the special the the first half of the second season ^-^
[/quote]
Jul 20, 2014 8:28 AM

Aug 2012
I loved a few episodes, but for the most part I was bored to death watching this after reading the manga.
Aug 19, 2014 10:58 AM

Dec 2013
Nice of Isaza. Didn't feel like the last episode but well, the show was episodic.
It was a great ride. The show was slow paced but I enjoyed it. Ginko is one of the coolest characters. I'm glad there's Zoku Shou too.
8/10
Oct 26, 2014 9:10 AM

Oct 2013
I loved the ending of the episode. Not entirely sure why, but just something about Taku seeing Ginko again and realizing Isaza is not only still alive but still thinking about the village, even after all this time - it made me really happy.

That said, I'm pretty disappointed with this as the finale. I mean, being aware this is barely over half of the series altogether, I didn't expect a definitive conclusion, but I was hoping the final episode would still be one of the best. Instead, I feel like this is one of the worst, honestly. Maybe it was the lack of Ginko or the fact that even the mushi were barely relevant. It was still a good episode, but... I dunno, the anime apparently changed the ordering of the chapters, right? It would've done better to make this one of the earlier episodes, then, because I can think of several of the other episodes that would've made for a better finale.

Still love the series regardless, but I highly recommend not marathoning it. I feel as if the series lost some of its charm about 1/3 - 1/2 into the series because I'd grown too accustom to the atmosphere. I think just watching an episode or two a day or even every couple days would give the viewer a better appreciation for it - or it would me, at least. I'm not really that bothered by it, though, considering it IS just about half the series. I'll take my time more with Zoku Shou when its finally dubbed.

Overall, a brilliant series all the same. It's a sharp contrast with pretty much every other anime I've watched. It's beautiful, harmonious, atmospheric, traditional, it presents a myriad of ideas and concepts to make the viewer really think about them, and it presents some of the most heartfelt, beautiful stories I've seen in the anime medium. Could've used some more tragic ones, especially in the latter half of the series, but all the same...

Although I would've liked a few recurring characters, the fact that all of the characters are isolated to a single episode also helped add to the series atmosphere considerably. It leaves me wondering what happened to the characters after their stories were told, especially when so many episodes had an open ending that reinforced that thought (especially episodes 1 and 14).

It's also worth noting how unbelievable the outro music to each episode is. Even the less stellar episodes still hooked me once the conclusion came about, a memorable final line was uttered, and the outro rolled out and entranced me with its sheer beauty.

I can definitely see myself re-watching this as well, though it'll most certainly be in smaller doses whenever that happens.
ZadionNov 1, 2014 10:11 PM

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Nov 1, 2014 9:27 PM

Feb 2013
And there we have it.

One thing that I don't get... Ginko is wearing "modern" clothes (his shirt has a collar, his shoes, etc.) while the rest of the people are dressed like it's last century.
Nov 10, 2014 5:31 AM

Jan 2014
And that's a wrap. Actually satisfied with the time I took to rewatch this.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Nov 17, 2014 6:28 AM

Aug 2010
I kinda dont understand why the Fishy master abandoned the mountain and became the ex master. Was it because the relatives took the whole land?
Nov 28, 2014 7:53 AM

Jan 2014
Not as exciting as some other episodes, but kind of touching and surely a great way to end an anime ;)
Even though I know there's Zoku Shou, too, I had a sad sensation because this season ended. Loved it.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 6, 2008

159 by Nuikorakabiri »»
Apr 22, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 2, 2008

157 by hinasuns »»
Mar 21, 7:17 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

93 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 16, 11:41 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

174 by Dragona_8002 »»
Mar 13, 5:47 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zippy - Feb 4, 2008

132 by GeneraalKV2 »»
Mar 13, 1:21 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.