Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Nov 17, 2014 3:58 PM

Jan 2013
TIME IS GUILTY, I laughed at that one.
Good episode, Akoto just snaped in the middle, I'm amazed that the seiyuu could keep up with that big line.
And now, finally it's confirmed that the others have powers :3
Nov 17, 2014 4:00 PM

May 2012
All the girls are great, but I'm now leaning towards Hatoko.

Watching her snap was pretty painful.

I thought this anime was going to be alright at best, but it's been pretty great so far.

Nov 17, 2014 4:04 PM

Apr 2013
Jesus.

If Hatoko doesn't win the Andou Bowl, I'm gonna riot.
gsninjaNov 17, 2014 4:33 PM
Nov 17, 2014 4:08 PM

Aug 2012
That was an A+ rant.

Nov 17, 2014 4:38 PM

Jan 2008
Oh man, Hatoko's outburst was ridiculous, in a good way. Never have I seen anything that like that to be honest, especially the length of that break down. She's not my favorite but man, she gets points for that.
Nov 17, 2014 4:50 PM

Aug 2012
Last episode, we praised Andou for how insightful he is, but now, he is totally oblivious to the one he's been with for the longest time. It shows that he's taking Hatoko's presence for granted, which is what most of us do with almost everything we have right now actually. Rant for those you don't have, but ignore those things that you have...

But damn, Saori did a pretty good job. I was speechless like Andou during that scene. Hatoko fighting anime logic! :D
Nov 17, 2014 4:55 PM
Jul 2018
Omg union powers xD TIME IS GUILTY AHAHAHAHA I LOVE THIS.

Welp, Hatoko snapped. That was an impressive rant, to be honest. Good one.

Yagami though, I don't remember him at all xD

(I thought Yagami's the one-eyed chuuni but oh well) The new chuuni gang is here! Ready to spice the series up!!
Nov 17, 2014 4:57 PM

Jun 2007
You thought she was an airhead who couldn't comprehend the words and phrases and names he was constantly referencing...when all along, she not only caught, but memorized every last one of them and was simply unable to understand how they could have any meaning the way he was using them.
Nov 17, 2014 4:59 PM

Oct 2013
Such a saddening yet lovely scene Hatoko had. If not for her jealousy and andou's obliviousness to her then this would not have been a perfect episode. I literally teared up watching it. I would say Andou is mostly at fault, but it happens a lot more irl than what you'd think, so Hatoko is allowed some of the blame for it as well. For someone who cares so deeply for him you'd think she'd try and be straight up with him instead of allowing him to redirect her obvious interest in trying to understand him. Likewise, for someone who's so perceptive of tomoyo's troubles and of people in general, I find it ironic that he'd be so inept at understanding the person closest to him.
"A cruel world is not without it's beauty, and many times a select few find it by mistake. Only then do those select few see the world for what it is... A disastrous masterpiece." ~ 7thVoid

"Hates a river that only flows down." ~ 7thVoid
Nov 17, 2014 5:01 PM

Nov 2012
Bugger me, that was intense!
'Once an Arsenal man, always an Arsenal man.' - Bob Wilson.

Nov 17, 2014 5:08 PM
Nov 2013
Loved that scene with Andou and Tomoyo with TIME IS GUILTY. Tomoyo is truly a Chuuni under that tsundere exterior <3

Just when I was thinking Hatoko hasn't gotten much screen time, she shows a lot of emotion and makes me root for her even more. Props to Hayami Saori, such a great voice actress!

Theyre actually going to use their powers?! I'm really looking forward to that.
Nov 17, 2014 5:13 PM

Apr 2010
So the famous onee-san was finally introduced and she didn't went easy on Andou, well i can't really blame her.
In any case Hatoko finally snapped it was a matter of time.

So was pretending everything is fine but it wasn't the case.
I have to say tho that i was impressed by the things she remembered and mentioned it was a major list.
Andou certainly came up with some strange things.
Nov 17, 2014 5:20 PM
Jul 2018
Andou's sister is pretty bossy.

Great flashback between Hatoko and Andou.

Hajime and his gangs just kidnap Hatoko.
Nov 17, 2014 5:33 PM

Dec 2011
Hatoko snapped. This episode has the most impact out of the rest. My goodness. Saori Hayami did a great job on that long rant. Looks like we will finally see a battle next episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 17, 2014 5:36 PM

Jul 2011
Wow. That was really intense! I can't wait for the next one!
Nov 17, 2014 5:40 PM

Jan 2011
Impressive work on Saori's behalf that insanely long rant was real good would of been nice to have a bit of more build up for something like that but just from Hatoko's personality you could tell from the start she was mainly going along with it.

guess this is turning into a battle series for these Holmgang people lol
Nov 17, 2014 5:47 PM
Nov 2014
Saori Hayami gives the performance of her life in this episode as Hatoko Kushikawa. Someone nominate her for best voice actress of 2014!!
Nov 17, 2014 5:48 PM

Jun 2008
Got randomly linked to that rant. Holy shit that was like the longest rant I ever saw in an anime.
Nov 17, 2014 5:58 PM

Jun 2013
Man what an intense episode and arguably to me my favorite so far. Hatoko was always my favorite but I really doubted her chances of getting good spotlight compared to the rest but damn I was wrong. Just the way she expressed her feelings that she has suppressed for the childhood friend that she like was just to "fit in" sold it to me. Its so cliche but I rather have the childhood friend over the tsundere in this case.
Nov 17, 2014 6:28 PM

Aug 2012
Holy crap man. That was amazing, particularly because it was so unexpected. It had just the right amount of buildup, it was executed well, and Hayami my god.

That scene is going to get linked to every chuuni forever on lol.

Also really liked the characterization for Andou, especially in regards to his deepest behavioral/psychological structure as a chuuni. It was nice to see him made so human, and not to the point where he came off as a prick.
Nov 17, 2014 6:29 PM

Mar 2014
Best episode so far.

Very drama filled episode. I was just expecting more light comedy but nope.

Hatako completely snapped this episode. That scene was intense.
Zanos1Nov 17, 2014 6:35 PM
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Nov 17, 2014 6:36 PM

Aug 2010
1. Major props to the VA (Saori) on that rant. Award worthy IMO.
2. One of the best executed anime meltdowns ever.

I think some people missed some key points of the episode. If you were paying attention, the explanation of being a chuuni at the end basically explains Hatoko and Andou's relationship. For Andou, Hatoko is a person he wanted to understand him, but at the same time NOT understand him. Andou even mentions unloading all of his chuuni tendencies onto Hatoko, yet as we see in the flashback he would dismiss her when she tried to understand. So he is essentially keeping her from understanding him ON PURPOSE, despite leaning on her this whole time. That is completely unfair to Hatoko, especially if you consider that she obviously likes him.

There is a message here about using your friends but not really letting them understand what is going on being a selfish thing. While the other side of that is also portrayed, which is the fact that sometimes your friends just need someone to listen and nothing more.

Essentially Hatoko has being putting up with Andou's BS all this time so it only makes sense she should be able to unload on him too, even if some of that was jealousy fueled.
Nov 17, 2014 7:02 PM
Oct 2010
singleturbo said:

I think some people missed some key points of the episode. If you were paying attention, the explanation of being a chuuni at the end basically explains Hatoko and Andou's relationship. For Andou, Hatoko is a person he wanted to understand him, but at the same time NOT understand him. Andou even mentions unloading all of his chuuni tendencies onto Hatoko, yet as we see in the flashback he would dismiss her when she tried to understand. So he is essentially keeping her from understanding him ON PURPOSE, despite leaning on her this whole time. That is completely unfair to Hatoko, especially if you consider that she obviously likes him.

There is a message here about using your friends but not really letting them understand what is going on being a selfish thing. While the other side of that is also portrayed, which is the fact that sometimes your friends just need someone to listen and nothing more.

Essentially Hatoko has being putting up with Andou's BS all this time so it only makes sense she should be able to unload on him too, even if some of that was jealousy fueled.

Not jealousy-fueled, jealousy TRIGGER'd :)

I agree with this post and similar ones; it is easy to dismiss Hatoko by saying "if she didn't want to listen, she should just go away" if you have never been in any emotionally important relationship whatsoever. For the rest of us, we understand perfectly.
Nov 17, 2014 7:54 PM

Jul 2010
Damn Saori Hayami. 5/5.
“Are there some unseen roles that we have unknowingly set ourselves into, dictating the rules of engagement whenever we see each other, inevitably leading to us hurting each other?”
Nov 17, 2014 8:04 PM

May 2014
I'm still hoping for Andou to end up with Hatoko (IF he does end up with anyone), but it's kinda obvious and even more so now that Tomoyo is most likely. :(

Andou's sister isnt the nicest person, is she? XD
Upcoming battle in the next episode :o
Nov 17, 2014 8:05 PM

Jun 2014
Wow...that was...unexpected... AND AMAZING. That rant was so well done! And their feelings of panic from being apart... and UNLOCKING STAGES OF SUPERPOWERS?! =O
I knew this show was my favorite for a reason!
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Nov 17, 2014 8:20 PM

Jan 2014
Damn, got serious all the sudden
Nov 17, 2014 8:27 PM

Aug 2010
hentai_proxy said:
singleturbo said:

Not jealousy-fueled, jealousy TRIGGER'd :)

I agree with this post and similar ones; it is easy to dismiss Hatoko by saying "if she didn't want to listen, she should just go away" if you have never been in any emotionally important relationship whatsoever. For the rest of us, we understand perfectly.

Agree. The point is she desperately wanted to listen, he just would never tell her anything.
Nov 17, 2014 8:30 PM

Jun 2014
I was enjoying this anime way more than I expected. I first thought of giving this anime a 7, but I might give this a 9.
Nov 17, 2014 8:41 PM

Mar 2014
hentai_proxy said:

Agreed. It sounds from this episode like Hatoko has been doing a lot of self-sacrificing for Andou's sake, burying a big part of herself to try to fit in with him and his world, and he just wasn't aware of it. That's not uncommon in high school relationships - getting so invested in the other person that you start losing some of your own self-identity for the sake of trying to be "closer" to them, but this episode shows the emotional toll that it takes on someone to suppress themselves like that for such a long time and why it isn't healthy. I don't "blame" either of them for it, because most of the ingredients to this mess were beyond their control. Andou is Hatoko's oldest friend, and even if she didn't have romantic feelings for him she'd still treasure that relationship and want to preserve it, especially if she sensed them growing apart. Andou, conversely, probably still sees the same Hatoko that he knew from childhood and never updated his mental image of her or tried to understand her any more deeply than what he already knew. Add mutually poor communication and a lot of immaturity to that mix, and this is what happens.
Nov 17, 2014 9:01 PM

May 2012
Damn that was a long rant.

Great episode. Hatoko is the star of the episode with that rant. Not going to lie to you she had all the right to go off. I don't blame Ando for not knowing what was going on with Hatoko. She always had that same simile. Honestly I don't think any of us would have been ready for it. I also don't blame Hatoko for getting upset either. All she wanted was for him to explain it to her as simple as possible. Great job to the anime for creating a scene where all (some) of us can relate to. Favorite episode so far.

5/5.
Nov 17, 2014 9:04 PM

Mar 2012
Holy super props to Hatoko's seiyuu for nailing that rant! That was quite a reaction, though I guess not too unexpected.

Looks like it's starting to pick up more next episode in regards to their powers.
Nov 17, 2014 9:14 PM

Aug 2013
Wow Andou was a self-involved idiot in this episode.

*Hatoko is curious*
Andou: "You won't understand anyway."

*gets told by his friend about his observation*
Andou: "Hatoko isn't the type to ever feel stress or concern"

Now see who's being selfish here. It's like you vent off on someone and then when they ask for more info in order to understand you and possibly help you, you're like "oh nevermind you won't understand anyway" yet you expect them to be there in times of need. That's a huge slap in the face and tantamount to saying "you're stupid." I can't believe some people in here are calling Hatoko a selfish bitch for her outburst. Hatoko has always been the only one who indulges and encourages Andou about his chuuni routine (enter clubroom, cue Andou's chuuni antics, Hatoko asks about it) while the rest of the club dismisses it.

Props to Hayami Saori for her performance. Definitely 10/10 voice work.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Nov 17, 2014 9:21 PM
Dec 2010
My heart started pumping when she went off. It was like the culmination of something I'd have loved to see 100 other characters do in other anime. She absolutely nailed it in every sense.

The whole concept of "battling reality" hit home thanks to the confrontation. Because people really don't put up with crap so easily and would undoubtedly unwind like this.

Somehow the typical attempts at brutal honesty in other chuunibyou shows don't feel as authentic as what Hatako did. They usually come off as nagging and boring rather than enlightening and impactful.

Absolutely loved it.
Nov 17, 2014 9:26 PM

Aug 2011
about the battle if Chifuyu is not there and Hatoko is captured there is no one in the group who really can fight with heir powers.

and about the combining powers thing I see that Jurai and Hatoko has the most compatible powers.

Hatoko just can't understand no matter how much research she does, she is able to memorize the complicated words but just don't understand.
well she has a normal mind set.
daime17Nov 17, 2014 10:29 PM
Nov 17, 2014 9:43 PM

Jul 2010
That scene was outstanding, really. I expected kind of forced drama but that just hit right in my feels Trigger. Saori Hayami best VA for obvious reasons, and good job Trigger you got my interest up again.

Also, should I be shocked by the final plot twist? Hmm not really, just hope they'll keep the good drama around. Don't know why they introduced so many (apparently) main characters so late in the series, they could have done it fairly better imho.
Nov 17, 2014 9:50 PM

Apr 2012
nice drama episode
that was a long Hatoko rant and complain.

Hatoko kidnapped
battle in next episode?
this is getting more interesting

Nov 17, 2014 10:00 PM

Jun 2013
Holy Hatoko that was some amazing voice acting,
Nov 17, 2014 10:01 PM

Dec 2010
I am impressed with Hatoko's VA! She did a great job on her rant! I'm also surprised how much this episode struck home to me, and my own interests. I wonder about some of the same things that Jurai wonders about...

It should be interesting to see where this ends up heading!
Nov 17, 2014 10:04 PM

Aug 2011
bastek66 said:
GrimaH said:
Did you even watch the episode?
She wasn't forcing herself to like anything. She simply asked for SIMPLE EXPLANATIONS for all the goddamn jargon that he bounced off her for his chuuni ideas. Every. Single. Day. For years. And his response? "Ah, you wouldn't understand." What the fuck was the point of telling her then, if he wasn't going to explain shit and knew she didn't understand instantaneously? She didn't have a goddamn mind reader skill.

Hatoko: "Oh, what'd you mean by Nietzsche? I didn't quite understand what you meant by that"
MC (if he wasn't a goddamn idiot): "Oh, it's this guy who talked about blah blah blah"
Was that so fucking hard? Instead he had to go "Oh you wouldn't understand" and then still deluge her with his bullshit. For YEARS.

Frankly I'm amazed she put up with it for so long when it was clear he never actually valued her thoughts and feelings on it.

She could easily google it. Also, she forces herself into literature club when she doesn't like reading much.

"Also, she forces herself into literature club when she doesn't like reading much."
She did not force herself there and she just don't understand reading Light Novels and Manga or your saying that those books are the only ones that exists? She reads normal books and other literature.

Manga and Light Novel is just not here genre
Nov 17, 2014 10:33 PM
Dec 2013
My god that rant. It was beautiful!
Nov 17, 2014 10:57 PM

Nov 2013
Wow. Just wow. Hatoko's outburst must have broken some records.
Nov 17, 2014 11:07 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
One of the most memorable scenes in anime of 2014 so far.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Nov 17, 2014 11:48 PM

Jan 2014
It seems like the conflict finally started after all those Slice-of-Life episodes.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 17, 2014 11:58 PM

Jan 2011
That rant is clearly up there with some of the best monologues in recent anime (thinking of some of Hachiman's bleak observations in Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru as being the closest comparator for impact). It looks like things have taken a serious turn, although I'm still not certain if this new group is actually inimical or just another version of the Literature Club with a few more years under their belts. Thank you Trigger....
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Nov 18, 2014 12:14 AM

Jan 2013
Really good episode imo.

Hatoko character development and.. that lecturing was stunning, awesome.

Seems like those few clips of other guy watching them and such is, in fact, leading somewhere (finally).
Not sure of what I think about the sudden chuuni-duo thing, but ok I guess.

Now, I guess what we're all asking ourselves after this episode is mainly: "Will Andou ever awaken
some kind of useful power?"
Hope to find out soon :)
Nov 18, 2014 12:27 AM

Jul 2014
WOW. dat rant. i mean wow. really, just wow. like damn. a very memorable moment indeed. i mean.. damn.

Looks like things are starting to pick, nice, can't wait for next week.
Nov 18, 2014 12:49 AM

Nov 2012
I had to clap my hands for this episode.

In all these years i've seem animes and characters that needed to snap out and never did.

And Hatoko was the one to did it, i couldn't withstand her seeing andou and getting hurt but damn snapping out that way reallty took me of guard, no one was at blame in that but goddamn that was amazing.

10/10
Nov 18, 2014 1:33 AM
Feb 2014
hatoko is wifu

/anime
Nov 18, 2014 1:34 AM

Oct 2013
It should be real interesting moving forward. That new group has quite a few members in it.

Not good.
"A cruel world is not without it's beauty, and many times a select few find it by mistake. Only then do those select few see the world for what it is... A disastrous masterpiece." ~ 7thVoid

"Hates a river that only flows down." ~ 7thVoid
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 6, 2014

248 by Gin_Okuri-inu »»
Apr 14, 11:09 AM

Poll: » Best girl

q1w2e3r4t5 - Mar 26, 2019

7 by Piromysl »»
Apr 13, 11:52 PM

Poll: » Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2014

297 by Olticul »»
Mar 19, 11:33 PM

Poll: » Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2014

109 by gannoncannon55 »»
Jan 30, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2014

115 by gannoncannon55 »»
Jan 30, 6:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.