Forum Settings
Forums

How has getting older as an anime fan affected you?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 2, 2014 2:02 PM

Jul 2013
I don't watch anything anymore.
Oct 2, 2014 2:05 PM

Aug 2014
Somewhat refined my taste, and I now watch different genres and not just battle shounens like I used to watch when I was a kid .
Oct 2, 2014 4:26 PM

Aug 2010
What about peopls thoughts on anime as a genre-> like how is changed over time
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Oct 2, 2014 4:36 PM

Mar 2014
lunaticsrus said:

Anime has gotten much better ever since the 2000s started. Anime pre-2000s was a wasteland of lots of horrible shows.

Just look at the picture as proof
Oct 2, 2014 5:04 PM

Jan 2013
sullynathan said:
lunaticsrus said:

Anime has gotten much better ever since the 2000s started. Anime pre-2000s was a wasteland of lots of horrible shows.

Don't fool yourself, anime has and always will be shit.
Oct 2, 2014 5:06 PM

Mar 2014
Rance-sama said:
sullynathan said:

Don't fool yourself, anime has and always will be shit.

Nah, OLD old anime is shit.
Oct 2, 2014 5:09 PM

Mar 2014
Lancehot said:
sullynathan said:

Berserk, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Ulysses 31 (it counts), Battleship Yamato, Great Teacher Onizuka, Maison Ikkoku, NGE, MSG & countless others refute your assertion.

Baccano, Shinsekai yori, Death Note, FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Fate/Zero, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Hellsing: Ultimate, Hunter x Hunter (2011), Shingeki no Kyojin, Steins;Gate and Gurren Lagann refute your point.
Oct 2, 2014 5:12 PM

Mar 2013
HiNT74 said:
Mycelistsukiyo said:

Serious question What do you mean with GOAT?

lol @ people who can't even ask Google a simple question

I´d rather us that to keep on taking part in the conversation.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 2, 2014 5:16 PM

Apr 2013
i don't even like it anymore
an egomaniac and a fool

Oct 2, 2014 6:37 PM

Jul 2008
I've technically been watching anime for 23 years, ever since I was a four year-old in Moscow, with Voltron, Cyborg 009, and the original Gundam all appearing on television. However, there have been years in-between where I barely watched anything at all.

Certainly, I became more selective as I grew up, and it's more difficult for an anime to entertain or impress me. I'm sure the same is true for most people.

However, in my case, I also started semi-consciously comparing anime series/movies to live action television shows (which are currently enjoying a golden age here in the West), live action movies, and books.

And while there are fantastic masterpieces that are right up there with the best of those mediums, many, including very hyped and highly regarded series on here, are disappointing trash.

The end result is that I now very rarely watch anime; for me to start a series, it has to possess a hell of an intriguing premise, be a continuation of something I already enjoyed, or an adaptation of an excellent manga. Or, in the case of Attack on Titan, a show with an overwhelming amount of hype.
Oct 2, 2014 6:50 PM

Jun 2012
Guriffisu said:
I don't watch anything anymore.
Why did you make a list update an hour after saying that?

SKETCHY.
Oct 2, 2014 7:26 PM

Feb 2008
I'm pretty sure my perception changed because of the growing number of anime I've seen, not how long I've been watching or how old I am. I started watching in earnest when I was 14 and now I'm 21, and, honestly, I don't feel a great deal different than I did back then.
Oct 2, 2014 7:31 PM

Jul 2014
When i was 13ish marathoned One Piece, Bleach, Reborn, and other long things and now (16) that is just to long for me.
Oct 2, 2014 8:57 PM

Dec 2013
After watching anime for a while I've noticed how my taste has changed from watching only mecha to enjoying shows like Toradora and Lucky Star.
Oct 2, 2014 9:56 PM

May 2012
it hasn't changed me TOO, much but i am more open to the type of anime that ill try
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 2, 2014 10:22 PM

Jan 2012
It has not affected me much. Only thing that has affected me is the amount of shows that I have seen over time. I have just become pickier basically.
you sound poor
Oct 2, 2014 10:31 PM

Sep 2013
Approaching 30 in about two weeks; I've been watching anime since Thundercats and Voltron were on terrestrial TV.

I suppose over the years my tastes have shifted according to age: at 14 I thought Ninja Scroll and Wicked City were the absolute pinnacles, at 21 I thought things like Perfect Blue and Paranoia Agent represented what I sought after in anime, and at 29, I cry occasionally at the end of K-on!! or the last few episodes of Clannad After Story.

If anything, age has broadened my horizons on what I value and what I feel is worth watching. I will still watch a psychological show at the drop of a dime, but I don't mind throwing in a romantic comedy in the mix for a change of pace.
My watch list for anime: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Stonedtanuki

"Let be be finale of seem.
The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream." - Wallace Stevens
Oct 3, 2014 12:00 AM

Nov 2013
I'd say i'm still quite new to it, having completed watching about 65 anime. Not even touched the realm of movies yet. As for getting older I haven't aged much since starting; only been about a year.
Raise it up, raise up the happiness.
Oct 3, 2014 12:04 AM

Sep 2013
Christ, I feel old.

Project A-ko remember? That used to be a thing.

Oct 3, 2014 1:21 AM

Jul 2008
Stonedtanuki said:
Approaching 30 in about two weeks; I've been watching anime since Thundercats and Voltron were on terrestrial TV.

I suppose over the years my tastes have shifted according to age: at 14 I thought Ninja Scroll and Wicked City were the absolute pinnacles, at 21 I thought things like Perfect Blue and Paranoia Agent represented what I sought after in anime, and at 29, I cry occasionally at the end of K-on!! or the last few episodes of Clannad After Story.

Heh, most anime fans I talk to my age (27) or older still watch and love Ninja Scroll and Wicked City. (And Yoshiaki Kawajiri, who did Ninja Scroll, is one of my favorite directors in either live action or animated medium, having done that, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, Highlander: The Search for Vengeance, the cool OVA Biohunter, and a bunch of other cool series I have yet to watch, like Goku: Midnight Eye)

And Perfect Blue, like the rest of Satoshi Kon's work, is great regardless of one's age.

You're actually quite unusual in being a much older Western fan (I don't know much about Japanese fandom) who enjoys a moe series like K-on or Clannad.

Stonedtanuki said:

Christ, I feel old.

Project A-ko remember? That used to be a thing.

Sure do!
Oct 3, 2014 2:52 AM

Aug 2014
Maybe my taste changed from the first time I watched anime. Back then I really like watching Mecha, but now I also like other genres.
Oct 3, 2014 9:38 AM

Sep 2013
YoungVagabond said:

Heh, most anime fans I talk to my age (27) or older still watch and love, (...)

Naw, I still consider those things awesome works and I absolutely enjoy them, it's just interesting to me how the 14 yr-old me thought that Vampire Hunter D or Ninja Scroll were as amazing as things got. With age I've just been able to make more exceptions to what I'll give a watch to and now I can accept most genre's as having their own artistic merit. Cheers on remembering Project A-ko, I rented that back when grocery stores also had VHS rental areas.

Haha, in regards to the K-On and Clannad stuff, those took me months of telling myself, "you know eventually you will," before I watched them. Ended up appreciating them.

Oct 3, 2014 3:03 PM

Nov 2013
I don't know if it's really from my age or just from how much I've watched now but I do look at anime very differently than I used to. I've realized I'm a lot more open minded of what I'll watch than of how I was back when I first started. Don't think I would've ever guessed I'd have watched what I have now.
I as well have a harder time doing long running anime now.
Oct 3, 2014 7:05 PM

May 2010
It's been six years, and I started off as a kid, now maybe I'm a bit more picky, ecchi doesn't bother me anymore, and I don't watch as much I used to, but that's about it I guess.
Oct 4, 2014 12:20 AM
Jul 2012
Initially when I started out watching anime I began with mainstream anime. Watching my very first 12 episode anime really confused me because I was so used to 200+ episode anime. Now it seems like I don't have a tolerance of 100+ episode anime anymore. I little after I found myself very interested in the ecchi genre. But I've come to not really care if there's ecchi or not. I guess it's a little added bonus if there is. The current genres that I fangirl over include psychological and romance. Also a little bit of slice of life and it's not a genre but survival.
Oct 4, 2014 12:28 AM

Oct 2013
Actually, different from most weebs I started watching anime about a year and a half ago.

This means most of anime seems stupidly ridiculous for me and I never liked the most popular tropes.

Yes, I tend to dislike most anime
Oct 4, 2014 12:50 AM

Feb 2012
YoungVagabond said:
[
You're actually quite unusual in being a much older Western fan (I don't know much about Japanese fandom) who enjoys a moe series like K-on or Clannad.

Usually people drop the elitist act around mid twenties. After that most mellow down and don't care about appearances anymore and just do whatever the hell they please. Most people around my age watch stuff like Fairy Tale and play their Pokemons. They do not spend time pondering sexual symbolism in Utena or coming of age metaphors in FLCL.
Oct 4, 2014 1:02 AM
Sep 2014
For me I've been watching for 15 years....so yea watched a ton >_>; I usually watch whatever I'm in the mood for compared to how I watch use to watch them. Like I use to have this random period of times where I'll only watch a certain type of anime like only horror/gory stuff, shonen/mech, shoujo/romance comedy, etc. But now I rarely watch extremely long ones and only watch ones that are good or ones that are 12 episodes or short 5 minute episodes >_>;
Oct 4, 2014 1:11 AM
Jul 2013
"Wesker, you've become senile!"
Oct 4, 2014 2:16 AM

Jun 2013
I have been watching for 7-8 years now, and I started dropping it. I mostly won't have time now, and also today's anime is mostly shit. I have had big problems finding good anime lately.
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Oct 4, 2014 7:13 AM

Jul 2008
mecharobot said:
YoungVagabond said:
[

Usually people drop the elitist act around mid twenties. After that most mellow down and don't care about appearances anymore and just do whatever the hell they please. Most people around my age watch stuff like Fairy Tale and play their Pokemons. They do not spend time pondering sexual symbolism in Utena or coming of age metaphors in FLCL.

How is this even remotely relevant to what I wrote? Are you making the mental leap from "most Western anime fans my age (27) or older don't enjoy moe series" to "said anime fans are 'elitist' "? (whatever that word even means in this context...)

In that case, I'm afraid that watching over 1,000 anime hasn't done much for your logic skills!
Oct 5, 2014 1:12 AM

Oct 2013
Well for with age and time, i've grow out of some anime i guess, when i first started watching anime i loved the harem type, now i cant stand them ( i still watch the random one) there all seem the same to me just with a different looking animated figure.
Oct 5, 2014 1:28 AM

Jan 2009
Mycelistsukiyo said:
I don´t seem to have the patience for long anime anymore.

i agree
Oct 5, 2014 1:43 AM

Mar 2013
I only saw a handful of shows during my teen years and some of them were painfully bad. On the other hand some of them were masterpieces which is why I never gave up on the medium. Now that I am older I have more time to watch cartoons and my tastes are pretty varied but I still find myself drawn to shounen anime and mahou shoujo anime because of nostalgia. I watched Dragon Ball and Cardcaptor Sakura and Sailor Moon as a kid.

Because I have a lot of free time I do watch a lot of shows that I probably wouldn't even bother with under time constraints. If I had less time my list would be populated by cute, healing anime like Aria, Non Non Biyori, Hidamari Sketch...
Oct 5, 2014 1:52 AM

Feb 2014
Like a lot of people said, I've just gotten more selective. I'll still watch a wide range of things, but I don't think everything I watch is fantastic anymore. I remember the first anime I ever watched while realizing I was actually watching an anime and not some cartoon was Inuyasha...thought it was awesome...if I tried to watch it now I'd probably just get annoyed at it. I also used to watch my anime dubbed and was fine with that...I can't do that anymore.
Dec 17, 2015 6:49 PM
Jun 2013
Any series with 100+ episodes will forever be on my plan-to-watch list. And it will probably take me half a year to finish any 50+ episodes anime.
Dec 17, 2015 9:00 PM

Mar 2013
You get more picky. When I first started, I love to watch everything and maybe watching anime for 2+hour is not that fun anymore.
Dec 17, 2015 9:03 PM
Jan 2013
The more I grow up, the more immature I want my shows to be .^.
gone bai bai
Dec 17, 2015 9:04 PM

Apr 2013
Mkim said:

^ so true.

I get more addicted to SoL these days...
Dec 17, 2015 9:15 PM

Sep 2015
natsucule said:
As a kid I thought DBZ was GOAT, now I think it's just your regular battle shonen.
I grew to appreciate soundtrack,art.
Watching hentai also came with age.

Same here. I used to think Naruto and DBZ were the best. Then I was introduced into anime like Monster, Steins;Gate, and Death Note.
Dec 17, 2015 9:15 PM

Apr 2015
Different demographic of anime appeals to me.

I now hate 90% of anime made. And like 95-100% of currently airing.
Brace yourself.

Soon as LotGH 2017 comes out. The anime community is going to become so cancerous you will need to take cover and hide.
Dec 17, 2015 9:16 PM

Jul 2014
Mkim said:
Dec 17, 2015 9:19 PM

Mar 2015
Mkim said:

This. I would've laughed and dropped OPM if I were younger. Now though, it's just appealing to my jaded self :P
Dec 17, 2015 9:21 PM

Apr 2013
OneTrueBaita said:
Mkim said:

This. I would've laughed and dropped OPM if I were younger. Now though, it's just appealing to my jaded self :P

Lol I remember I HATED fanservice with a passion. Dropped anything that looked like it had a fanservice harem in it or sexual comedy.

Boy was I wrong.
Dec 17, 2015 9:23 PM

Mar 2015
Yes said:
hoopla123 said:

Lol I remember I HATED fanservice with a passion. Dropped anything that looked like it had a fanservice harem in it or sexual comedy.

Boy was I wrong.
Boy were you gay you mean.

hoopla has come a long way. oh how humble our king's beginnings were :o
Dec 17, 2015 9:23 PM

Apr 2013
Yes said:
hoopla123 said:

Boy was I wrong.

no
Dec 17, 2015 9:24 PM

Apr 2013
OneTrueBaita said:
Yes said:

hoopla has come a long way. oh how humble our king's beginnings were :o

Every King has a journey.

Mine was that of self realization and harem enlightenment.
Dec 17, 2015 9:32 PM

Feb 2015
Not that much, I think. But it's hard to say since I knew so little of anime back then, and I just watched what my friend gave me. I'm sure I wouldn't like everything I liked back then, but that could also be for reasons that what I used to watch would feel outdated nowadays, with slower pacing and low resolution art (.hack//sign comes to mind).

hoopla123 said:

Boy was I wrong.

Lol, I also hated fanservice, and I guess I'm more tolerant towards it now, even though I'm still not a fan of it.
Dec 17, 2015 10:23 PM

Feb 2014
I used to love watching fighting scenes. Now that I have watched a lot of them, I now prefer Comedy and Slice-of-Life genres, with some Drama and Romance. I now find some anime clichés annoying, which include fan service (like accidentally see some girls changing/naked; and fall onto a girl and touched her boobs)
Dec 17, 2015 10:31 PM

Mar 2010
Stuff like Kino's Journey can barely be considered intellectually stimulating while also having little in the way that could be called visceral. It's nearly a hollow experience despite its aims. Funnily enough, that show specifically is at its best when it focuses on combat to the death and what resembles a tournament arc.
TonyThemeDec 17, 2015 10:36 PM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase? ( 1 2 )

Catalano - Apr 25

61 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
16 seconds ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 26

129 by APolygons2 »»
1 minute ago

» Do You Consider Yourself a Generous or a Harsh Scorer?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

22 by Zimmu »»
1 minute ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 26

52 by Nndrei »»
1 minute ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

249 by Coaghim »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.