Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 5, 2008 6:01 PM
Aug 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, this epsiode was good, as they all seem to be. Didn't know farming could be so dangerous though, but guess that all depends on if you have a 'cursed' seed or not.
Feb 20, 2008 7:01 AM

Feb 2008
Pretty good episode. I wouldn't mind eating that seed =P
Mar 29, 2008 6:33 AM

Feb 2008
Now, it brings immortality or resurrection! This is really weird! But I like how this progressed! ^__^
Apr 26, 2008 3:54 PM

Oct 2007
i loved this episode. it had a really good end to it =)
Jun 13, 2008 8:20 AM

Mar 2008
this episode definitely showed more of ginko's personality i think...which is good =]
Jul 30, 2008 12:04 PM

Oct 2007
Interesting episode. Glad that guy didn't die though

Aug 5, 2008 3:39 AM

Jan 2008
Good episode, the thought of having an extra tooth like that is scary.
Aug 12, 2008 3:49 PM

Jun 2008
Another sad/happy episode.... but he must be glad that he got to watch over the land for that long T___T
*thinking: I have an extra tooth* Hmm I wonder.... xD

Sig WILL change soon~
Jun 12, 2009 3:39 AM

Jun 2009
oh a soo kind and beautiful story.. when i just started to watch Mushishi i used to have a dislike for Ginko, but now it seems that i was mistaken
Jun 28, 2009 10:04 PM

May 2008
i wouldnt take the white pill

life will be boring living forever :/
Jun 29, 2009 4:50 AM

Jan 2008
So Ginko committed a taboo. I'm wondering if this will have some consequences later.
Jul 11, 2009 2:47 AM
Jul 2008
Spike Spiegel meet Ginko. Great characters.
"To see with eyes unclouded by hate"

-Prince Ashitaka, "Princess Mononoke"
Jul 20, 2009 1:43 PM

Jun 2008
Having a tooth in there would be scary. Ginko you little rebel.
Oct 4, 2009 5:58 AM

Nov 2008
Damn great episode, really.
Ginko have to deal with all the customs of each country he visits and the beliefs of each person he encounters.
Now it's really hard to choose for him because what did the priest was all for the sake of his village.
And one of the good point of this episode is that, the priest is not bad guy who try to manipulate the villagers. He had to sacrifice his wife in the past for the sake of all the villagers. His reasons are understanble even though his method could be criticized.

His death was kinda sad and it will be probably be hard for him to be an immortal.

Really Mushishi roxx :x
Dec 8, 2009 8:09 AM
Oct 2009
i want that seed
Feb 7, 2010 2:42 AM

Sep 2008
Doesn't the seed leave a hole in the roof of the mouth when it comes out? Pretty disgusting when you think about it.
Mar 6, 2010 2:17 PM

Feb 2008
What a brilliant episode. Left me with a weird feeling, not sure whether this was a happy or bittersweet ending.
May 10, 2010 1:09 PM

Jan 2010
strange episode :),i couldn't enjoy it that much though,don't know why...it was too much for me i guess xD
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
May 22, 2010 2:18 PM

Apr 2008
5layer said:
Doesn't the seed leave a hole in the roof of the mouth when it comes out? Pretty disgusting when you think about it.

Nah... It heals later... Just like when you take off the tooth that born later (Idk the name of them).

LolitaDecay said:
What a brilliant episode. Left me with a weird feeling, not sure whether this was a happy or bittersweet ending.

Yeah... For me it was a bittersweet, but it felt like it was happy in the end... Not sure too =/.

HooHiraiBunny said:
Damn great episode, really.
Ginko have to deal with all the customs of each country he visits and the beliefs of each person he encounters.
Now it's really hard to choose for him because what did the priest was all for the sake of his village.
And one of the good point of this episode is that, the priest is not bad guy who try to manipulate the villagers. He had to sacrifice his wife in the past for the sake of all the villagers. His reasons are understanble even though his method could be criticized.

His death was kinda sad and it will be probably be hard for him to be an immortal.

Really Mushishi roxx :x

Hmmm I think he didn't sacrifice her... She died as a conseguence, and then he felt what it was like to someone, which was close and dear to him, die in order to save the hole village. I think.
And I agree with you, it must be hard to be an immortal... To anyone...

Jul 15, 2010 10:54 AM
Feb 2009
the ending with the rice and whatnot was beautiful
Aug 3, 2010 1:34 PM

Aug 2009
Inmortality!!

But then will they use that seed again, or it will not appear again?
Aug 3, 2010 6:15 PM
Jul 2008
Such a fantastic episode. Turned Mushi-Shi around for me, I loved the plot and the end of this story
Dec 21, 2010 8:32 PM

Jun 2009
I like how the ep can have some weird moments but I still feel relaxed.
For me I don't think that to be an immortal is such a good thing, I mean you will live lonely all your life.
Dec 26, 2010 1:09 AM

Jan 2009
Dang...the ending to this ep was pretty epic!

Jan 3, 2011 8:48 AM

May 2010
Another brilliant episode.

I'm loving Ginko's personality more now.

I cracked a little when he said that they should stay quiet about committing the taboo. :)

And another Mushi fact is that Mushis can resurrect and immortalized organisms. Interesting

The ending about Saishu being immortal

and taught the farmers farming techniques is just awesome..
Apr 25, 2011 12:46 PM

Jul 2009
This episode was interesting how it made you weigh up 1 person's life against a whole village of people.
May 4, 2011 1:08 PM

Jun 2009
Another excellent episode.

I wouldn’t wish to be immortal; living forever may seem like a blessing but everything you knew goes away and when you realize, there’s nothing of what was precious to you once. It feels worthless, living without purpose anymore.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
May 17, 2011 9:07 AM

Dec 2009
I think that's a nice ending~

Aug 4, 2011 1:56 PM

Mar 2011
I wonder what the chief thinks of being immortal and if someone will find out about the taboo Ginko committed.
Aug 6, 2011 10:46 PM

Jul 2011
Is it just me, or does anyone else think Ginko might be immortal?

This is my second favourite episode so far (after the rainbow one.) I like it better when things work out in the end, not perfectly, but on a positive note.
Feb 29, 2012 2:43 AM

Sep 2008
HooHiraiBunny said:

Yes, this episode does do a good job of bringing in the question, "Do the means justify the end?". I disagree that he "sacrificed" his wife, though - she seemed to make that choice herself, although saying she did so fully "willingly" would be a push.

Anyway, I agree this was just yet another great episode. Unpredictable, as this show almost always is (a definite good thing in my opinion). I'm glad the priest didn't die, but I can't imagine immortality lived alone being fun...
Jun 7, 2012 3:25 PM

Nov 2011
Jun 30, 2012 4:32 AM

Aug 2010
Excellent, as usual.
Aug 3, 2012 12:05 AM

Feb 2012
danmari said:
Also, I'm glad it's slowly getting more transparent how Ginko thinks. I learned about this show when I was watching Kino no Tabi because those two get compared a lot, but Kino never really came across as completely human to me (even though she got a backstory and everything). This episode helped me realize another thing I prefer about Mushishi, and that would be that Ginko actually has a personality.

The difference is that Ginko is never the protagonist. Ginko is always involved in the story but the story is told from the perspective of the people he interacts with. It’s perfectly fine to have the mysterious stranger be a stoic and thoughtful person, but it is difficult to do that with a lead character that has almost no real supporting characters.
Oct 26, 2012 6:25 AM

May 2012
Not an all to bad episode!
Dec 19, 2012 2:53 AM

Oct 2012
Can somone explain to me how did he manage to get the tooth into him and be the final sacrifice? How did he knew he would be the one and not someone else, i don't get it. And what was that poison he was drinking.
Dec 20, 2012 8:19 PM

Sep 2008
The philosophical question put forth: What would you do if you had the choice of taking one life to save the lives of many?. I'm not sure what I'd do, but if I was among the many who were saved, I wouldn't be able to sleep without a guilty conscious.

Psalidokrator said:
Can somone explain to me how did he manage to get the tooth into him and be the final sacrifice? How did he knew he would be the one and not someone else, i don't get it. And what was that poison he was drinking.

Towards the beginning when Ginko arrives at the village, the villagers say that the sacrifice is always the 'weakest one', meaning the one who is most ill. Thats why the village mushishi's wife got the tooth and died, because she was already very sick.
The poison that he was drinking was so that he would become seriously ill and be chosen as a sacrifice instead of someone else from the village.

I re-watched this episode just to answer your question, but I'm glad I did because I was reminded why I love this series so much.

TitanioVerde said:
Inmortality!!

Ginko clearly stated at the end that the seed would remain in his body 'forever', unlike how it works for the soil and the plants.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jan 5, 2013 11:34 AM

Dec 2012
eyerok said:
The philosophical question put forth: What would you do if you had the choice of taking one life to save the lives of many?. I'm not sure what I'd do, but if I was among the many who were saved, I wouldn't be able to sleep without a guilty conscious.

Psalidokrator said:

Towards the beginning when Ginko arrives at the village, the villagers say that the sacrifice is always the 'weakest one', meaning the one who is most ill. Thats why the village mushishi's wife got the tooth and died, because she was already very sick.
The poison that he was drinking was so that he would become seriously ill and be chosen as a sacrifice instead of someone else from the village.

I re-watched this episode just to answer your question, but I'm glad I did because I was reminded why I love this series so much.

TitanioVerde said:
Inmortality!!

Ginko clearly stated at the end that the seed would remain in his body 'forever', unlike how it works for the soil and the plants.

I see, it seems clearer now. I couldn't understand why he would drink poison before that. Ginko has a good sense if he could recognize the poison just from a drop.
I wonder if that man will ever get tired of Immortality and want to stop living. Well he'll be the overseer of harvests everywhere now and be a traveling man like Ginko.
I wonder if Ginko will be found out and punished by something for this taboo.
Jan 29, 2013 5:57 AM

Dec 2010
This started as rather dark episode, containing subjective moral sides, but it ended in such a good way, I never saw that ending coming.

One of the better episodes, definitely.
Feb 4, 2013 2:00 PM

Jan 2012
Very interesting episode. Ginko sure is the real deal if he can even revive people. I wonder if we will get to see other mushi masters in the show.

May 19, 2013 7:13 PM

Jun 2008
This was a really nice way to develop Ginko a bit. His "honor" as a mushi-shi doesn't outweigh his curiosity and academic research. I enjoyed the episode as much as so many others, not my favorite but still great as they all are.
Jul 15, 2013 4:42 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I love learning more about Ginko's personality as he across so many different people with their own principles, what a great way to contrast his beliefs versus others' beliefs. I'm glad he decided to commit the taboo because he realized how much the village meant to the priest.
Jul 20, 2013 12:31 AM
Jun 2013
I got the impression the priest was a jerk at first but later on you can see he really did care about the land and making sure everyone lives even though it meant one would die. Thats a big burden to carry and his first test run was proboly the hardest seeing how his wife got the short end of the stick. It was nice to see that in the end he was willing to get the seed in the mouth and end the cycle of death so noone will have to suffer for the land again. Though the happier ending was him becoming a immortal guy and taking care of the land basicly forever. Thanks to ginko of course who was willing to bend the rules for basicly the greater good.
Aug 15, 2013 10:32 AM

Sep 2009
so he ate the seed.. Am I right? :)
Aug 22, 2013 7:26 PM
Jul 2013
Frieza's pissed
Jan 21, 2014 6:48 AM

Dec 2013
Ah what it'd be like to be an immortal being and gather knowledge throughout the coming centuries.
Feb 6, 2014 3:59 AM

Oct 2013
killedhis own wife. devo
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Mar 18, 2014 8:17 AM

Aug 2013
So it's the classic "do something wrong for the sake of the greater good." It must have been a really heavy burden to carry. So in the end, there were no more cursed harvests. The man became immortal to watch over the land and help the people.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Apr 28, 2014 7:14 AM

Apr 2013
Meh I don't think that man deserves to be revived and get immortality. Sure, what he did was understandable, but it was ultimately selfish. When Ginko said the people of the village could just leave it for one year and survive on their own, he objected because "how many would actually come back"? seems like he cares more about the village itself than its people, he just wants the land of his ancestors not to be abandoned, and for that he allows lives to be taken. I don't find that respectable or okay one single bit.

Well, the episode did a pretty good job making you think about it.
May 1, 2014 8:16 PM
Aug 2013
Best episode yet imo. Relly great. This anime makes you think and make you ask yourself questions? What would you do in a situation like this? Sympathized for the priest, and I really like how Ginko can stay so calm while he's resolving people's problems.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 6, 2008

159 by Nuikorakabiri »»
Apr 22, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 2, 2008

157 by hinasuns »»
Mar 21, 7:17 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

93 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 16, 11:41 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

174 by Dragona_8002 »»
Mar 13, 5:47 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zippy - Feb 4, 2008

132 by GeneraalKV2 »»
Mar 13, 1:21 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.