Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Do you think this show is generic?
Aug 31, 2014 6:00 AM

Aug 2013
I have followed this show since the first episode, and I must say that even though this is the first fully-fledged romance shoujo I have seen so far, it has been one of the most generic shows I have seen yet. Everything from the characters' actions to their reactions seem all so plain and boring most of the time, and the plot is moving forward at a very slow pace.

Of course, this might just be my opinion, since the high ratings for this show does not seem to reflect that. So, what does everyone else here think of this show?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 31, 2014 6:32 AM

May 2014
Airing titles have inflated ratings by default. It's just well executed even if it is as generic as it can get for a romance.
Aug 31, 2014 6:34 AM

Sep 2012
Frankly I don't care at all if something is generic as long as it's execution makes up for it. Ao Haru Ride definitely succeeds in execution for what it lacks in originality.

plus
I love shoujos and cheesy romances
so
YEAH
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Aug 31, 2014 10:43 AM

Nov 2013
Korrvo said:
Frankly I don't care at all if something is generic as long as it's execution makes up for it. Ao Haru Ride definitely succeeds in execution for what it lacks in originality.

plus
so
YEAH

Exactly my sentiments.

It's generic, but I still really enjoy the show :)
Aug 31, 2014 2:06 PM

Oct 2011
I'm like that too. I like shoujo, even if it's generic. But because it's so generic,
Ao Haru ride isn't one of my favorites xD
Aug 31, 2014 2:40 PM

Jul 2011
I guess its not that different from anything else in the romance genre since its another school setting but I still liked it enough to read the manga
Mostly because of how Futaba/Kou interact, the art style, and its not as slow paced as other romance anime
Sep 1, 2014 6:12 PM

Mar 2014
It definitely is generic.
The show is still enjoyable despite of that.
Sep 1, 2014 6:35 PM

Oct 2012
Well, what is not generic, really? Yes, they are reusing the theme that was done thousand times before but I love atmosphere, mood and pacing they maintain in each episode and characters are also fleshed out pretty well.

And if you look closely, they manage to do really great expressions of those characters.
Considering this is I.G., I found this show to be pleasant surprise of this summer.
Sep 1, 2014 7:00 PM

Apr 2014
at some point everything gets generic

life is generic
Sep 1, 2014 7:02 PM

Oct 2013
Yep. Just your average romantic comedy. Not good, but not bad either.
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth
Sep 2, 2014 3:11 AM

Jun 2014
It is but it's still good imo. Generic doesn't always mean bad to me
Sep 2, 2014 3:42 AM

Jun 2013
Well, I wouldn't call it your typical shoujo anime. What makes it such a great shoujo is the amaaaazing character development, how the events happen and how it is presented to us, I always love seeing how the characters react to each and every moment. I think it's where it shines.
Sep 2, 2014 2:23 PM

Aug 2014
The thing with this anime/manga is that it was advertised as characters who acted one way but they are really different from how they acted. But that was only in the first 2 episodes!!!!! After that, it just became another Shoujo romance with cliches, boring male and female MC, etc.
Sep 2, 2014 3:16 PM
Aug 2011
Yes it is which I actually wouldn't mind if the main characters weren't so god damn awful.
Sep 2, 2014 3:17 PM
Jan 2014
Generic, but enjoyable.
Sep 2, 2014 3:18 PM

Jun 2014
Moodie said:
at some point everything gets generic

life is generic

Yeah, but with little variations ヽ(・ω・ヽ*)
Sep 2, 2014 3:23 PM

Jul 2012
It is, but at the same time, I find it very refreshing and it does well in executing simple moments/interactions. It's a lot better than other bigger shoujo like Kaichou wa Maid-sama, Ouran HSHC and Kimi ni Todoke which all have flaws respectively.

If you want more unique shoujo, there's always manga. I highly recommend something like Mars or Orange.

GreenHippo said:
Generic, but enjoyable.

^
Sep 2, 2014 6:27 PM

Aug 2007
I really like the story, and I like shojos, but I think is generic. I can compare it with the story of other shojos. But now I only have the worry to enjoy this.
Sep 2, 2014 6:29 PM

Jan 2013
Decent show but Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun did comedy better, and Say I love you did everything better.

This show is decent but will instantly be forgotten next season.
Sep 3, 2014 2:19 AM

Jul 2013
mayukachan said:
It is, but at the same time, I find it very refreshing and it does well in executing simple moments/interactions. It's a lot better than other bigger shoujo like Kaichou wa Maid-sama, Ouran HSHC and Kimi ni Todoke which all have flaws respectively.

I feel like slapping you really hard, I don't care if you're a girl.

This show is the most generic shoujo I've ever watched, it's cheesier than even Sukitte ii na yo and none of the characters are unique (except maybe Murao but even she's still pushing it)

Comparing and then saying that it's better than shoujo with actual stories & one-of-a-kind characters like Kimi ni Todoke and Ouran is a huge insult to those classic. Futaba has nothing on Sawako or Haruhi!
Sep 3, 2014 10:30 AM

Oct 2012
StevenHu said:
I have followed this show since the first episode, and I must say that even though this is the first fully-fledged romance shoujo I have seen so far, it has been one of the most generic shows I have seen yet. Everything from the characters' actions to their reactions seem all so plain and boring most of the time, and the plot is moving forward at a very slow pace.

Of course, this might just be my opinion, since the high ratings for this show does not seem to reflect that. So, what does everyone else here think of this show?

yes. but thats to be expected lol..
Sep 5, 2014 8:41 AM
Apr 2008
First episode was good but I got annoyed at episode 6. 7 was more or less average. I think its quite disappointing as of now because I was actually looking forward to it.
Sep 6, 2014 1:25 AM

Jan 2011
There are only so many ideas a genre can play with. Like others had said, all depends on the dialogue, delivery, characters, and execution of the "drama" for romances. This title is doing fairly well on all those counts. No major complaints.
Sep 6, 2014 1:41 AM

Sep 2013
it is pretty generic, but i like it nonetheless.
Sep 6, 2014 7:26 AM
Jun 2012
StevenHu said:
I have followed this show since the first episode, and I must say that even though this is the first fully-fledged romance shoujo I have seen so far, it has been one of the most generic shows I have seen yet.

Yes, clearly. Shoujo romance is usually packed with clichés. This is true here too, but it is actually less so than the vast majority.

StevenHu said:

Everything from the characters' actions to their reactions seem all so plain and boring most of the time, and the plot is moving forward at a very slow pace.

I don't think you quite get what generic means. It has nothing to do with being flashy, unrealistic or so.
Sep 6, 2014 11:50 AM

Mar 2012
Most shoujo romance series these days are packed with cliches and the same old tropes over and over again. That's why I look more at the execution. I'm not going to deny that Ao Haru Ride has a lot of generic shoujo romance qualities on the surface, but I like the way it handles the little details within each of its cliches. The subversions and deviations from typical tropes can be found if you look more into the details of the series, not the overall plot line.
Sep 7, 2014 9:25 AM

Jun 2012
Aeroing said:
Korrvo said:

plus
so
YEAH

Exactly my sentiments.

It's generic, but I still really enjoy the show :)

- I only draw freestyle! -
Sep 7, 2014 11:42 AM

Jul 2012
MoeGod said:
I feel like slapping you really hard, I don't care if you're a girl.

This show is the most generic shoujo I've ever watched, it's cheesier than even Sukitte ii na yo and none of the characters are unique (except maybe Murao but even she's still pushing it)

Comparing and then saying that it's better than shoujo with actual stories & one-of-a-kind characters like Kimi ni Todoke and Ouran is a huge insult to those classic. Futaba has nothing on Sawako or Haruhi!

They're not classics just because they're older. I don't understand why people overrate things that are older when they're nothing special by themselves. If we're talking about shoujo classics, something like Mars or Itazura na Kiss are far better examples. I feel bad for newer shows like this because they get lots of hate easily and criticism, mostly because we're watching it while it's airing.

Sukitte I wouldn't even call cheesy because it is pure self-insert and a bundle of cliche rather than an actual story. It follows every shoujo cliche trope. I find Futaba much better than most heroines (not josei heroines tho) because she's actually self-aware and relatable.

AHR is generic, but it executes itself well. The characters aren't the greatest but the character dynamic is done pretty well. I'm not even calling AHR the best thing ever, because it isn't but saying it's bad because it's generic isn't that great of reasoning. But, whatever, that's up to the viewer.

I'd love to argue why KnT and Ouran aren't considered great to me, but I think we both have better things to do.
MayukaSep 7, 2014 11:46 AM
Sep 8, 2014 4:43 AM

Jun 2014
well this is my first shoujo, so i wont know if its generic. As far as i see it, its just really enjoyable to watch :D
Sep 8, 2014 7:55 AM

Apr 2013
Simply just a generic romance series that airs every season. Still enjoyable though.
Sep 8, 2014 1:20 PM

Jun 2012
Best shoujo out of the 4 or 5 ive seen.
Sep 8, 2014 2:26 PM
Nov 2013
Yes it's generic but that is not my problem my problem is that the characters are a little bit boring.
RinieeSep 8, 2014 2:30 PM
Sep 8, 2014 2:28 PM

Jan 2013
this shows problem isnt its generic story.

its the bafflingly slow progression.

this is one of the slowest shows ive ever seen.

Its been 10 episodes or so and literally nothing changed since episode 2.
Sep 8, 2014 2:36 PM

Apr 2011
Yeah but its still enjoyable and thats all that matters.
Sep 8, 2014 4:59 PM

Jul 2012
SolviteSekai said:
this is one of the slowest shows ive ever seen.

It's building up but the problem is it'll end on episode 12. In the manga, stuff actually happens but this anime will need at least two cour for some romantic development. It doesn't help that Kou is so emo most of the time. Then again, most shoujo anime don't go anywhere.

VanishingKira said:
Yes,and it's pretty boring too.

Naaaah. Subjective.
Sep 8, 2014 5:17 PM

Jul 2013
the show isn't bad but its pacing is what kills it. the show hasn't made much progress in terms of plot. we've seen literally 12 chapters of the manga adapted. i understand that this show is character based but in terms of character growth, i haven't seen much of that either. also, i'm not a fan of futaba's inner monologue. she has a 1 track mind. if this show ends up getting a 2nd season, the pacing should be a bit faster so that we can get to the more interesting parts of the manga
Sep 8, 2014 5:24 PM

Apr 2014
My first Shoujo too, and I guess that might be what's kind of keeping me from really giving an opinion on the show, is that it is generic.

I could say it's boring too, but I've really had issues getting immersed into the show. Just doesn't grab me.
Nop.
Sep 11, 2014 4:26 PM

Aug 2013
Well, the themes are pretty generic, but I think it's execution is original. It's just... normal. Like real life, you're not always overconflicted and flooding in drama. They just try to work it out. But I guess that there are a lot of generic themes. It's hard to do a non-generic romance shoujo.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Sep 11, 2014 7:10 PM

Jun 2014
I'd like to say I prefer the slow story arc, aoharaido is my type.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 12, 2014 1:49 AM

Jul 2013
mayukachan said:

They're not classics just because they're older. I don't understand why people overrate things that are older when they're nothing special by themselves. If we're talking about shoujo classics, something like Mars or Itazura na Kiss are far better examples. I feel bad for newer shows like this because they get lots of hate easily and criticism, mostly because we're watching it while it's airing.

Sukitte I wouldn't even call cheesy because it is pure self-insert and a bundle of cliche rather than an actual story. It follows every shoujo cliche trope. I find Futaba much better than most heroines (not josei heroines tho) because she's actually self-aware and relatable.

AHR is generic, but it executes itself well. The characters aren't the greatest but the character dynamic is done pretty well. I'm not even calling AHR the best thing ever, because it isn't but saying it's bad because it's generic isn't that great of reasoning. But, whatever, that's up to the viewer.

I'd love to argue why KnT and Ouran aren't considered great to me, but I think we both have better things to do.

No, they are classics because when it comes to shoujo those two are some of the best and will always be the benchmarks for shoujo. There's a reason why Kimi is one of the most popular shoujo around and Ouran too. I don't know why you'd assume I call them classic because they're older. It has nothing to do with age. If you ask me even Soredemo Sekai from last season has more originality than this anime despite being a bundle of cliche itself. At least Nike is a breath of fresh air compared to Futaba and Livius is much more alpha than Kou without having to act creepily. Heck, even Kaori from Isshukan Friends is more interesting than Futaba. To put into perspective, if Futaba and Makita are characters in Kimi and Ouran, they'd be Girl A and Girl B (or ojou-sama A and ojou-sama B in Ouran's case). That's just how unremarkable they are. From a glance I can tell even Murao has more depth than Futaba.

All shoujo are cliche to a certain extent but this anime took it to another level. There wasn't even a single original idea here. It's like the author gather every cliche in the book and put together as many as he/she can. At least Ouran and Kimi put some effort in making original characters and interesting setting. I seriously don't see how you can think of Sukitte as a bundle of cliche yet this anime is not. If I have to make a comparison then this anime is comparable to Nozaki-kun's shoujo manga (from Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun), which in itself is an exaggerated parody of the shoujo genre

Still, I get why girls would love this anime. It certainly provides a lot of more "kyaaaa"-inducing moments than Kimi and Ouran but as a guy, those moments just made me cringe due to how overdone they are. Yeah, exactly like Nozaki-kun's manga. Exaggerated and cliche to the max, except I can laugh at Nozaki-kun's manga but cringe when it's done on an actual shoujo anime.
MoeGodSep 12, 2014 1:58 AM
Sep 12, 2014 12:27 PM

Jul 2012
I won't bother replying to every single thing because I understand we won't agree on everything, especially since we're not the same gender lol

I seriously don't see how you can think of Sukitte as a bundle of cliche yet this anime is not.

It's fanfiction material. Lonely, average girl meets popular boy who think she's unique. They fall in love. Insert love rivals, teenage angst and friendship.

And, I'd rather "kya" over Nobunaga Concerto or even Love Stage!! rather than AHR. Kou is still a brat even I've read his backstory and all that jazz. I like AHR because it's refreshing to watch and has likable characters, as it focuses more on other aspects compared to other shoujo anime that just focus on the main couple most of the time.
Sep 12, 2014 12:34 PM

Dec 2012
parfaited said:
Yes it is which I actually wouldn't mind if the main characters weren't so god damn awful.
Sep 15, 2014 4:53 PM

Dec 2008
MoeGod said:

As much as I would've loved Kimi ni Todoke, I eventually just couldn't follow the series anymore. The characters are so static, there is barely any growth. I've never really understood the appeal of Kazehaya so I was totally rooting for Sawako as a character. But it got to a point where SHE was actually annoying me because she has no backbone. (I'm referring to the manga btw)

I think in that sense, Ao Haru Ride outshines in terms of character development. No doubt about it. At least there is a backstory for most of the characters and you understand why they are the way they are.
Sep 15, 2014 5:15 PM

Oct 2013
y123y said:
The thing with this anime/manga is that it was advertised as characters who acted one way but they are really different from how they acted. But that was only in the first 2 episodes!!!!! After that, it just became another Shoujo romance with cliches, boring male and female MC, etc.

my thoughts, too... so I've stopped watching since ep5 or something, pending, but will officially dropped...
Sep 16, 2014 12:23 AM

Jul 2010
It's no Tora dora or Kimi ni Todoki, but it's kept me interested watching. That said, it has a lot of the cliche bullshit that tires me in this genre.
Sep 16, 2014 7:36 AM

Dec 2013
Yeah, in some ways it is generic. But it has its moments, in my opinion. And I think even if it is generic, it's still executed pretty well. If the most original story out there was executed terribly, it wouldn't be any better :)

I dunno, I'm still a noob. Maybe I don't find it that clichéd because I just haven't seen all the clichés yet =3=
Not sure what all these heated comparisons are about, but either way, I loved Kimi ni Todoke and OHSHC, and I love Ao Haru Ride just as much.
Korrvo said:

plus
so
YEAH

^^Exactly.
I love all those "Kyaaa~" moments, and I feel all *doki doki* right on cue.
Maybe I'm the one that's generic :|
Sep 16, 2014 8:40 AM

Jan 2008
I can enjoy something even if it's generic, it's all matter of execution. And when it comes to Ao Haru Ride, it's just disastrous. ... Mm, well, disastrous is may be too big of a word, I watched far worse shows than this, but we are past 11th episode mark and I still feel like this show is going nowhere and nothing really happened. All interactions are pointless, all characters' problems are pointless (if they are even touched upon, because really - Murao has that crush on a teacher and blonde guy has crush on her and HA HA, you wanted to know more?! NOT IN THIS SHOW CHUMP), everything that's going on is pointless. Kou is another Bland Shoujo Lead, but this time with added "annoying" effect. Futaba might pass, if only she didn't try so much to justify his actions and make me care about this jerk where he clearly is not worth the effort - not only hers but also that of her friends. And where it comes to they clique, they are there only to full the quota of Main Couple-In-Making Friends and that's it. And there I was, looking forward to Murao's and Blondie's arc instead of watching how His Highness Kou doesn't like people who are nice enough to help him and care for him.
So yeah, I watched better shoujo in my life, I'm not a fan of Ao Haru Ride, and I'm glad it ends next week. This probably sounded more like a rant than opinion, sorry for that. At least I'm glad I got it out of my system.
Sep 16, 2014 12:06 PM

Jul 2012
robbydesu said:
As much as I would've loved Kimi ni Todoke, I eventually just couldn't follow the series anymore. The characters are so static, there is barely any growth. I've never really understood the appeal of Kazehaya so I was totally rooting for Sawako as a character. But it got to a point where SHE was actually annoying me because she has no backbone. (I'm referring to the manga btw)

^ This. It's still ongoing but it's just dragging from this point.
Sep 16, 2014 1:53 PM
Jul 2012
After reading many many shoujo, I've come to the conclusion that there's a limit to what you can do with high school shoujo romance stories. The uniqueness mainly comes from the characters, because no one person should be the same.
A lot of the generic parts come from the fact that they are targeting a high school audience and trying to teach simple lessons that most people have already learned, and that most stories have already shown.

I agree that Futaba is a character that is very difficult to sympathize or even imagine, but the lesson is still there. She's trying to teach Kou and high schoolers that you have to keep a brighter attitude.

I'll also say that this author has a certain unique quality in her works that I do not seen often in shoujo. HOWEVER, this quality is not shown until past the anime's timeline.
The anime is exaggerating the drama imo. There were parts in the manga that I thought were funny, but in the anime were changed to uncomfortably serious scenes. Although I don't think the anime dragged out, I do think that the story wasn't animated in the right style. This style was more suited for Sukitte ii nayo (which was animated very well).
Sep 16, 2014 2:14 PM
Jul 2012
People might also be forgetting that there are some people in the world that don't think of anything but pointless things, especially in high school. "I DON'T WANT TO BE BULLIED." "AM I GONNA GET THAT GUY?" "I'M GONNA BEAT HER TO IT." "OMG HE'S BEING EMO, I'M GOING TO HELP HIM."

They sound pointless, but the actions they take result in big developments. (Maybe big only in terms of shoujo manga or social matters, lol.)
Basically, she tried to be as realistic as she could. (Although Futaba's energy is kind of ridiculous, haha.)

You guys all talk about static characters, but I think there are people in real life who are static in personality as well. It takes time and influence to change.
Think of Kou like a smoker who never cares about quitting until it bothers his spouse, lol.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2014

296 by Kotori-chama »»
Apr 13, 8:47 AM

» Season 2?

Roni1703 - Apr 3

27 by v4lerria_a »»
Apr 5, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2014

377 by Fenyy »»
Feb 23, 1:25 PM

» What do you think of the anime?

7ohan - Nov 11, 2023

24 by earthborn »»
Nov 15, 2023 7:30 PM

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2014

156 by n0t_4dy »»
Oct 30, 2023 2:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.