Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 9, 2016 12:12 AM

Jul 2013
Amazing episode. The fight was short but very intense and Gintokis speech I don't no why but they're so good and true. He was so badass and his eyes omg.

I liked that we could see something of Gintokis past with his master and how he got his fight skills.

Also good to see that Jiraia cared so much for Tsukuyo, that made everything better. Also to see Zenzo at the end who clarified a lot was very well made.

That next episode looks so hot, looking forward to see this :D

Mar 10, 2016 5:51 AM
Jan 2016
Natsu88 said:
Amazing episode. The fight was short but very intense and Gintokis speech I don't no why but they're so good and true. He was so badass and his eyes omg.

I liked that we could see something of Gintokis past with his master and how he got his fight skills.

Also good to see that Jiraia cared so much for Tsukuyo, that made everything better. Also to see Zenzo at the end who clarified a lot was very well made.

Well you'll definitely learn more throughout the anime about Gintoki past. I can't remember if there's whole episode about it and if there is there are only a few :'/

All that said, I would definitely listen to an anime about pre-amanto war :-))) even if I would miss the recurrent character
Stress makes you bald, but it’s stressful to avoid stress, so you end up stressed out anyway,
so in the end there’s nothing you can do.
(Gintama)
Mar 10, 2016 4:45 PM

Jul 2013
Ginpachi said:
Natsu88 said:

Well you'll definitely learn more throughout the anime about Gintoki past. I can't remember if there's whole episode about it and if there is there are only a few :'/

All that said, I would definitely listen to an anime about pre-amanto war :-))) even if I would miss the recurrent character

I see. I'm not a manga reader so I really hope for these art of episodes. It's always interesting to learn/see more about the past of an character. :)

Mar 11, 2016 5:24 AM
Jan 2016
Natsu88 said:
Ginpachi said:

I see. I'm not a manga reader so I really hope for these art of episodes. It's always interesting to learn/see more about the past of an character. :)

Especially when it's made like in that episode. With 1min of dialogue, they have properly set Gintoki's feeling and motivation for this arc :-) Sugoi desu nei?
Stress makes you bald, but it’s stressful to avoid stress, so you end up stressed out anyway,
so in the end there’s nothing you can do.
(Gintama)
Mar 12, 2016 6:18 PM

Jul 2013
Ginpachi said:
Natsu88 said:

Especially when it's made like in that episode. With 1min of dialogue, they have properly set Gintoki's feeling and motivation for this arc :-) Sugoi desu nei?

Tashikani!!! That's one reason I really love Gintoki as an character :)

May 16, 2016 5:47 AM

Dec 2012
I swear that Gin says the coolest lines ever. Damn. Loved the ep even though the fight was short, It gave us a glimpse of Gon's past, now I'm getting more and more curious.
Jun 24, 2016 2:59 PM

Dec 2015
What a tragic story, poor Jiraia, it actually made me wanna cry
It definitely deserves 5/5
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Aug 21, 2016 3:27 AM

Jan 2016
First half was amazing. Liked how they mixed the black and white with Gintoki's past.
But man they had to drag the fuck out of the second half and ruin the beauty of that first half smh

anyway, good episode overall.
Oct 20, 2016 4:15 PM

Feb 2009
I greatly enjoyed the black and white parts, but the fight itself was pretty short. It was a pretty good episode, though, giving some unexpected insight on the villain, whose tragic past proved that there were other layers beneath what initially seemed just one of simple sadism.

But I agree with the majority regarding the second half, it was dragged right to the end of the episode, because it needed to end that way, or more because of budget. Bigger cool fight scenes = bigger budget for one episode of a comedy series.

Good serious arc, interesting villain, love Tsukuyo... but far from the better ones.
VeethornOct 20, 2016 4:21 PM
Dec 29, 2016 9:41 PM

Jan 2016
Nice arc, I was not disappointed.

I thought the fight was actually pretty well done, because it represented so well how Jiraia thought he had Gin trapped, when it was actually he himself who was trapped in Gin's web. This could be seen when he assumed Gin was escaping, but was actually baiting him to making a predictable maneuver, and when Jiraia skewered Gin's hand, but ended up literally getting caught in a thread in the process.

Yeah, Jiraia did talk way too much after being defeated, Gin always nearly dying and then winning the rematch has gotten old, and I'm not fond of the "drop the villain's entire backstory right after defeat" thing this series does, but the arc was pretty solid nonetheless.

Yoshiwara in Flames was a lot better though.
mintkatDec 30, 2016 3:28 PM
Feb 13, 2017 5:41 AM

Apr 2009
Proselyt said:
nice beginning - nice style
personally i like it better if it's not standart animation style - even if it's not eye candy something new is always good
mirichan00 said:
By the way, is it just me or is Jiraia truly inhuman? After having a massive amount of blood spurt out of his neck and falling in a blood pool he still managed to talk and stay ALIVE till the end of the ep. Amazing!
The Kunai should have severed the spinal cord heavily at a height which leads to immediate death. Even if he is inhuman there should be no way that he can still move his head (which he does; these muscles are below the wound), for which he would need his spinal cord to be located at his frontside, have two or something like that.
Therefore he really has to be a spider, because only ganglia would explain his 'survival'.^^

I just want to remind you guys that you are watching an anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 3, 2017 1:55 PM

Jul 2013
Wow, I loved the different animation styles presented in this episode, the black and white was especially amazing and the green was unique and I quite liked it.

The flashbacks of young Gin and his master after he found him and took him under his wing was really good.

I agree Gin does get all the best lines, his lines are always amazing and beautiful, this is so well written in my eyes.

I was surprised she actually killed Jiraia with a kunai in the back of his neck. But then his explanation of why he did everything and his death was quite poignant, and when Tsukuyo took him out on the balcony at the end, that was quite perfect.
stephtastropheAug 3, 2017 2:01 PM
Dec 18, 2017 7:24 AM

Nov 2016
Can't be mad at Jiraia after this, great master student relationship.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 2, 2018 3:34 PM
Sep 2017
Aww - Gin - those sweet, heartfelt lines of his are always the best! I realllly like him & Tsukuyo as a couple. They looked so sweet together when he was holding her after cutting her out of the web. Haven’t really seen Gin act that tender with any woman before, that I can recall. And I also loved the flashbacks with Gin’s teacher. I thought for awhile the teacher was going to be his father, since Katsura told Takasugi that Gin lost more than anyone, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. Maybe he raised him like a father?
The fight scene was totally badass, and I loved seeing Gin so pissed off and focused on kicking that guy’s ass. Just wish it had lasted a bit longer, & maybe a little less of the b&w, odd color animation. But still great!
Apr 6, 2018 12:40 AM

May 2017
What an episode, I don't even know where to begin. First of all, I appreciate the art style of animation they used on this episode, and add that with the opening makes it more relatable, plus we get to see more of Gintoki's past with his master which is just awesome. The relationship between a master and student, Jiraia and Tsukuyo, of course Gin had to make it personal.

Their second rematch isn't a fluke, and I like how it was handled here. Jiraia was using his system of webs in the open to float and attack with multiple angles something that was new to Gin but what makes Gin so unique is that he almost always loses the first part of the fight but learns so incredibly fast and adapts at a rate that is beyond comprehension to others. Gintoki was able to catch him because he utilized external factors (the string and the doorway) and learned from his first lost.

The fact that we got so much complexity in a character that lasted 4 episodes is really something. And I think that's it for this time, will be back in the future for some major arc in Gintama.

Edit: also boy I appreciate how much beauty Tsukuyo shown in the last scene, I already like her character and not to mention her design too. God bless the author for this.
buzxig866Apr 6, 2018 12:44 AM
Sep 3, 2018 11:58 PM

Aug 2013
Eh, I have mixed feelings on this episode. The short flashes of GIntoki's past were absolutely amazing. Really fucking well done.

The fight, while it had amazing animation; was way too fucking short. It lasted like what, 2 minutes? For all the hype around him, Jiraia went down like a massive bitch. This arc as a whole was a huge step down in terms of stakes since Yoshiwara.

Next, the 10 minute long backstory dump for Jiraia was also really forced. It's getting kind of repetitive seeing all the villains have these tragic backstories with the "Ohhh, I'm just so misunderstood" angle. It worked really well with Itou, and with Hosen it was more subdued and didn't really feel forced; but this was just stupid as hell. I guess he decided to kill all of Tsukuyo's friends and make her life a living hell; just because his life also sucked and he wanted her to kill him? Seems legit.

By far the worst major serious arc of the series thus far. The Shinsengumi and Katsura weren't in it at all, and Kagura/Shinpachi barely did anything. Way too much focus placed on a character we knew for like 5 episodes prior. Aside from Zenzo and the Gintoki flashbacks; I really didn't enjoy this arc that much.
Oct 8, 2018 7:11 PM
Apr 2018
I didn't expect this arc to end this quickly but it was cool regardless.

Is there any truly unlikable villain here? Every time I start to hate someone, it turns out they have some sad backstory.....
Nov 10, 2018 2:28 AM

May 2016
What was that bittersweet ending, this was one of the best episodes I have ever watched.
How the fuck that fight was mediocre animation it was so well fit for the situation.

Danzo lived such bad live man I feel bad for him, at least they understood each other at the ending.
I can't wait to see more of Gin's past I never knew he was living by robbing corpse man that's why he has those dead eyes poor boy at least he had one of the greatest teachers ever.
Jan 3, 2019 6:17 AM

May 2015
Why Jiraia has sad backstory? I still don't like him.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jun 13, 2019 7:30 AM
Apr 2018
NOW THAT'S HOW YOU DO A SYMPATHETIC VILLAIN! I nearly teared up hearing the poor guys back story. Having your entire family murdered and being forced to work for the people who did it is way more understandable than not being able to go out in the sun. Loved the unique art styles they used, though the fight itself was a bit short.
Jun 13, 2019 7:33 AM
Apr 2018
SaiDrew said:
I didn't expect this arc to end this quickly but it was cool regardless.

Is there any truly unlikable villain here? Every time I start to hate someone, it turns out they have some sad backstory.....

The villain from Benizakura didn't have a sad backstory and Hosen was a piece of shit who kidnapped children and turned them into sex slaves because he couldn't go out in the sun.
Nov 11, 2019 5:42 AM

Mar 2015
In the end Jiraia wasn't so bad? Lel
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Nov 14, 2019 1:49 PM
Apr 2016
Damn, the starting, finally something about Gin's past. The fight was great! The truth behind Jiraia's actions were revealed, and it was pretty interesting. Awesome arc, enjoyed it.
Jan 14, 2020 9:31 AM

Jan 2013
NordicHorde said:
NOW THAT'S HOW YOU DO A SYMPATHETIC VILLAIN! I nearly teared up hearing the poor guys back story. Having your entire family murdered and being forced to work for the people who did it is way more understandable than not being able to go out in the sun. Loved the unique art styles they used, though the fight itself was a bit short.

Yeah I genuinely felt bad for Danzo.
What a beautiful story though, the lines were perfect.

One of the better episodes I've seen, truly beautiful.
Mar 7, 2020 3:58 AM

Oct 2017
Yes more of Gin's story! The style and speeches were marvelous!
Apr 1, 2020 4:18 AM

Aug 2019
Amazing episode. I loved the different art styles used, especially the black and white one. And that fight was short but awesome. Seeing Gintoki's past with his teacher was great, I hope we see more of that.

I found Jiraia's past interesting too but the talking in the second half felt a bit much. Still, it was such a bittersweet ending.

I want to know what it is,
this 'sin' they say I've committed.
Apr 7, 2020 4:55 PM

Aug 2015
That's gotta be the most serious Gintama episode ever!
Not a single joke or silly moment!
Rip Jirya he was a cool villain
Apr 9, 2020 5:13 AM
Feb 2018
The black and white scene was great. So a bit of last second redemption or acknowledgent of his actions. That part where he look at Tsukuyo and saw his sister was great. 8.5/10 arc so the same rating as I gave Yoshiwara. Actually this arc was practically Yoshiwara in Flames part 2.
Sep 22, 2020 1:25 AM

Jul 2020
Gin is so fucking serious on that fight.

I like the fact that almost all villains in Gintama has a sad backstory, they're not just evil in nature.

And that black and white animation are so good, looks like a live manga ^ ^
Oct 27, 2020 12:47 AM

Aug 2018
I really liked what they did with the art style(s)
_______I like rocks__
Dec 12, 2020 3:32 AM

May 2020
Great episode, when the art style changed for that scene, I thought to myself, "Huh, the budget went down."
I'm loving the intense battle scenes.
Jan 15, 2021 11:12 AM
Aug 2020
Wow. This is the best arc in the series so far. It left me on the edge of my seat and by the end it made me tear up a little. Plus, that black and white fight scene was so fucking good. It's nice to see that this show isn't afraid to get stylized with its fight scenes.
Jan 20, 2021 11:06 PM

Jul 2020
Great arc.

I guess Jiraia wasn't that pure evil at all. Can't blame him how he suffered from all that burden he carried
Feb 4, 2021 8:56 PM

Aug 2013
The experimentation with color in this episode was great. I hope to see Gintama do more of that type of stuff in the future, though I'm not expecting it. The fight itself was really fun, too.

I also don't really understand how anyone is concerning themselves with how Gintoki "miraculously" survived/healed and all of a sudden knew how to fight Jiraia, as someone was complaining about on the first page. Like what, would you rather the next 5 episodes be dedicated to Gintoki recovering in the hospital or something? Sticking to conventional realism doesn't always make for the most interesting scenarios, and it would've completely destroyed the pacing of this arc if it did. I think it's completely fine how it was handled, this isn't a show where plot details like that matter very much anyways.
Jul 1, 2021 3:01 AM

Apr 2021
Great episode, The fight scene was really great. I'm excited about Gin-san past.
Jul 18, 2021 4:20 AM
Jun 2020
This episode is a masterpiece specially the first scene I'm totally speechless at the first minutes
I like that black and white style
Aug 16, 2021 3:17 PM

Apr 2018
this is beautiful man: "Weep and ask for help. Lean on me with your runny nose. Cry when you feel like crying. Laugh when you feel like laughing. When you're tearing up with an ugly face, I'll give you a good cry with an uglier face. When you're laughing so hard your stomach hurts, I'll laugh in a louder voice. That's how it should be. It's far better to get dirty while living true to yourself, than to throw away yourself and die a clean death."

gintoki, katsura and takasugi respect their master very well. it's really interesting what happened to them on that war.

Beautiful fight, epic ost and GOOD ARC.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Dec 10, 2021 5:55 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Most of Gintoki's flashback fragments with his master are really mysterious, but anyway that was a really emotional way to finish the arc with his death like that, that's sad for his sister that killed herself for sure, so the reflection on Tsukuyo kinda makes sense
Jan 1, 2022 10:11 AM

Feb 2018
This was beautiful.. the fight between Gin and Jiraia. Tsukuyo and her master making up in the end :')
Jan 15, 2022 3:24 AM

Aug 2021
bits of Gintoki's past with his teacher was so wholesome and cute
the black and white animations had a manga like feel
loved the ending! great Tsukki arc <3
May 1, 2022 4:02 AM

Apr 2013
Well... that was pretty much a copy&paste from the other Yoshiwara arc. Disappointing.
May 10, 2022 10:26 PM

Jan 2020
They showed a glimpse of Gin's flashback and seems like he bear some hatred to his master...
May 10, 2022 10:28 PM

Jan 2020
And yet another villain defeated by Gin....and it turned out Tsukuyo is not Jiraia's prey....
Jul 18, 2022 8:27 PM
Jul 2018
Awesome episode! Although ending of antagonist characters is getting repetitive.
Some hints of Gin's past and his relationship with his master. We also learned about what happened to Danzo in past and how he became who he is!

The animation was amazing, I liked how they used the black & white style. The fight was also great!
Aug 25, 2022 6:49 AM

Aug 2018
The fight against Jiraiai was done beautifully I think , the use of that style really was surprising and it definitely works most of the time . It was a pretty dark conclusion to this fight but I liked it a lot regardless
Sep 20, 2022 4:21 AM
Nov 2021
Damn, the fight animation and choreography was epic. Sunrise you madlads, I like the experiments they have done in this episode. It felt like Motion-manga and the colour palatte for flasbacks were damn pretty.
5/5 for this episode.
also, Gintoki's master is voiced by Koichi Yamadera! Thats too great.
Dec 7, 2022 10:07 PM

Apr 2022
the black and white sequence was absolute perfection
gin finally snapped
Apr 2, 2023 3:01 PM

Mar 2019
Now I really want to know what happened between Gintoki and his master, did he become evil?

Nevertheless, nice ending to the arc, I guess Jiraia wasn't as bad. The manga style was unexpected but I still prefer the usual one.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Apr 8, 2023 4:44 PM
Jan 2021
man this ep got me feeling diff, gintama at his best making sad storys.
Jiraia and Tsukuyo feels like a daugther and father .
May 30, 2023 6:27 PM

Aug 2019
At this point, it's a guarantee that this series' longer and more serious arcs rarely hit the mark for me, but I appreciate the artistic direction they went for some of the scenes in this episode with the black-and-white.

Also, spider guy shares the same name as two godawful "Naruto" characters. Can't be a coincidence.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama Episode 156 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

llamaben - May 7, 2009

117 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Yesterday, 10:29 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Zerachroma - Jun 23, 2008

194 by Seraschi »»
Apr 25, 11:41 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

almozayaf - Jul 28, 2009

95 by SPG_Anima »»
Apr 21, 3:56 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Znote - Oct 3, 2009

107 by DaveyUwU »»
Apr 20, 6:31 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 113 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Randomnamechange - Apr 13, 2009

113 by DigiCat »»
Apr 16, 2:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.