Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 22, 2009 2:57 AM

Aug 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well... Sunrise sure liked to experiment with some different styles this episode.

The start was epic. That style of black and white was just perfect... Felt like moving manga.

I felt the water-style animation of the fight felt a little strange... Though it was still great. The fight itself felt too short...

The manga-style for a second time wasn't quite as good, but in no way was it bad.

The green-style IMO was meh... Felt too strange changing between the dark blue background and the green.

Overall, it was a good episode, but not as good as the previous ones this arc...
Oct 22, 2009 4:53 AM

Aug 2009
-Today Sunrise held tryouts for the new artists convention apparently. Manga-style art, green-ish painting style and some sort of blurryish thing for the fight. Which had a great Gin-san beatdown of Jiraia that was great. He even did the shounen headbutt finisher (as made popular by Goku, Luffy, Naruto and Yusuke)

-Too much talking for my liking but I'm glad we got a flashback of Gintoki again. Was not the whole episode like I thought but...hey at least it's something.

-Next episode looks....hot. XD
Oct 22, 2009 5:51 AM
Apr 2009
I enjoyed it. Was basically what i expected. Now the fun begins next week.
Also from what I remember the fan poll arc begins in 2 weeks. Been waiting for it since I read the manga chapters of it 12 or so weeks ago
Oct 22, 2009 10:37 AM

Mar 2008
Holy shit! Yamadera Kouichi as Gintoki's teacher practically gave me goose bumps! This makes my wait for Shiroyasha Koutan even more painful damn it!

The animation during the fight was strange but pretty nice as well. I bet that Sunrise had to stick with those long black and white scenes because they spent most of their budget on that water like effect XD Still, it kind of worked. By the way, is it just me or is Jiraia truly inhuman? After having a massive amount of blood spurt out of his neck and falling in a blood pool he still managed to talk and stay ALIVE till the end of the ep. Amazing!

Anyway, I'm glad this arc is finally meeting its end. I'm getting a little sick of Yoshiwara&co. Gimme my Shinsengumi back please (- 3 -)
Oct 22, 2009 3:07 PM

Jun 2008
nice beginning - nice style
personally i like it better if it's not standart animation style - even if it's not eye candy something new is always good
mirichan00 said:
By the way, is it just me or is Jiraia truly inhuman? After having a massive amount of blood spurt out of his neck and falling in a blood pool he still managed to talk and stay ALIVE till the end of the ep. Amazing!
The Kunai should have severed the spinal cord heavily at a height which leads to immediate death. Even if he is inhuman there should be no way that he can still move his head (which he does; these muscles are below the wound), for which he would need his spinal cord to be located at his frontside, have two or something like that.
Therefore he really has to be a spider, because only ganglia would explain his 'survival'.^^
Oct 22, 2009 3:58 PM

Sep 2009
good fighting :P
Oct 22, 2009 6:34 PM

Sep 2009
Mediocre fighting, love the headbutt though and the strikes gintoki did.

And as usual, love his speech.

Credit to WingZero619 from Animesuki!!
Oct 22, 2009 11:53 PM

Jul 2007
cartier-ngo said:

Well compared to the rest Gintama fights yeah it was mediocre. But hell, it was awesome nevertheless :D

Loved the ep as i did with the whole arc
Oct 23, 2009 4:26 AM

Sep 2008
amazing ep I loved how Gintoki did some serious business to Jiraia you can feel his anger!
the animation was great too <3

true Jiraia should've met an immediate death considering where the kuna hit him
the next ep looks interesting can't wait
bibi bubu baba
Oct 23, 2009 10:01 AM

Sep 2009
Sugababy said:

true Jiraia should've met an immediate death considering where the kuna hit him
the next ep looks interesting can't wait

That was suppose to be the funny part! 9 minutes of listening and talking with a kunai at the back of his neck and a pool of blood, that's hilarious.

Credit to WingZero619 from Animesuki!!
Oct 25, 2009 8:47 AM

Jul 2009
Nice fight....I can't WAIT for the next manga arc to be animated it was so funny XD
Oct 28, 2009 6:46 PM

Jul 2009
Zell182 said:
Nice fight....I can't WAIT for the next manga arc to be animated it was so funny XD

You're talking about the Character Popularity Poll Arc right? If so then I hope it really gets animated :D One of the most funniest arcs I've seen here in Gintama :D
This is a signature.
Jan 1, 2010 11:17 PM

May 2008
It was a good Arc.
The Fighting scene was awesome!
Apr 6, 2010 9:36 PM

Mar 2007
God thats ONE of the things im going to miss the most about Gintama... it doesnt drag these arcs for 30-60 episodes. Most arcs lost only around 3-6 episodes, perfect amount of time to tell a story, and have some kick ass action to boot.

I effing love Tsukki :)

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Jun 29, 2010 4:11 PM
Nov 2009
Gintoki x Tsukuyo

damn she's the best female character.
Dec 26, 2010 10:22 PM

Oct 2008
I so need more of Gintoki's past. D:
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jan 12, 2011 12:11 PM

Jul 2010
Short arc this time? I liked it, Gintoki was great :) The fight scene was short but it was good and intense, I liked it a lot. The different style was nice too and we even got some shots from his past! I was glad to hear that guy acutually cared a lot about Tsukuyo, it made the arc better if u ask me.

Gintoki looked so awesome/dangerous/bad-ass (in a good way) :D I missed those real action scene's after all those funny episodes :P
Mar 3, 2011 12:04 AM

Aug 2009
Falcon Head!

In that land, one boss died looking at the sun, and one other died looking at the moon. Suspicious...
Apr 1, 2011 8:41 AM

May 2010
Cloudy-Sky said:
cartier-ngo said:

Well compared to the rest Gintama fights yeah it was mediocre. But hell, it was awesome nevertheless :D

Loved the ep as i did with the whole arc

This. Loved everybody's speech esp. Gintoki. The flashback of him carried by his master is just a sight to behold.

If I knew much more about their past, I would probably shed a tear. lol

It was kinda strange to see a black and white fight but still it kicks ass.

Can't wait to see Tsukuyo in kimono next ep. GintokiXTsukuyou FTW!!!
Apr 6, 2011 5:00 AM

May 2008
Gintoki sure packed a punch :D or more like a head XD i still find it funny how he was able to stand up again like a few seconds later after he fell onto the floor man that is just weird.

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Apr 24, 2011 10:57 PM

Feb 2009
Nice ep.... good fight and drama to end the conflict. Liked the black and white scenes and some nice Gintoki background.
Jul 18, 2011 9:01 PM

Jan 2010
DeeCee said:
Gintoki x Tsukuyo

Agree there XD
Jul 20, 2011 3:11 PM
Jan 2010
Anyone know the name of that absolutely amazing guitar piece that played throughout this ep?
Jan 7, 2012 1:34 PM

Jul 2011
I hate that Gintama always makes me kinda feel sorry for the villian. And the low budget... AND GIN'S SO FLIPPIN' CUTE. Loved the black and white in the beginning though.
Jan 26, 2012 3:02 PM

Jul 2010
Great arc. Not the best, but good. A lot of development happened with Gintoki and Tsukuyo, especially Gintoki. Really interesting.
Mar 2, 2012 6:41 PM

Jun 2011
That was a short fight. Jiraia has to be inhuman to be able to keep blabbering even after a kunai pierced right through the back of his neck.

I'm more interested in Gintoki's master. It seems that Jiraia somehow stirred up Gintoki's memories of him.
Apr 26, 2012 2:21 PM

Jul 2010
DeeCee said:
Gintoki x Tsukuyo

QFT
Nov 18, 2012 1:27 AM

Jun 2009
Not really sure what I think of this episode to be honest. I like how it had a different animation style, but the story just felt....well, it felt kind of hokey. I'll be glad when this gets back to comedy tbh.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 7, 2013 9:24 AM

Aug 2010
Awesome awesome episode!!!

Finally heard Gin's master's voice! He sounded really kind and wise.. wish there's more screen time for him and Gin as a child!

And man, Gintoki is badass. His eyes were intense!! And his moves as well!! He's been hiding his claws~

It's kinda surprising to see Jiraia's more humane side but I suppose I feel like it's implying that even people we perceive as 'bad' do have their humane side..
Mar 30, 2013 7:52 PM

Oct 2012
The black and white scenes were amazing. I'm so glad we finally got a look at Gin-chan's teacher. Sad backstory too :/. Great arc all around although i'm guessing more violence is going to happen in that town soon enough with Kagura's brother w/ the Yato clan.
Apr 9, 2013 1:55 AM
Apr 2013
Echo masserati's question : would love to know the guitar track - couldn't find it in Gintama OST's 2 and 3
Jun 11, 2013 9:57 AM

Oct 2008
Someone knows the title of music played directly after the opening of this episode ?
Sep 1, 2013 2:49 PM

May 2012
Pretty nice ending of this arc, I do wonder what's next a epilogue of this short but quite storyful arc? Or something complete new?
Nov 16, 2013 4:26 AM
Oct 2012
Very good episode. 5/5
Dec 24, 2013 4:37 PM

May 2013
:)
Feb 20, 2014 11:30 AM

Jun 2012
Terrible fight. I know I'm the minority here, but this episode was extremely boring, just like the entire arc. Gintoki get his ass kicked in his first fight, but somehow miraculously survives. I guess it's not the first time he's fallen into the water bleeding out with the villain saying "He won't survive those wounds.", but seriously, what the hell. Then within three days he's back to normal like nothing happened, and then kicks spiderdude's ass, no problem. The spiderdude had waaaay too many afterimages, and he wasn't even moving fast enough to warrant them. Superficial action, superficial drama, far too many monologues.

Like really, Gintoki suddenly knows how to beat this guy after getting completely owned in his first fight, with the only thing causing Gin's sudden increase in competence is the fact that he doesn't want spiderdude to make Tsukuyo call him "master"? This character comes in out of nowhere, and everyone's talking about how stupidly powerful he supposedly is, how Gin doesn't have a chance he should just run away - yaddayadda, they make a big deal out of Gin's defeat but it doesn't mean jack because Gin's got way too much plot armor and will win any fight on a whim.

No suspense, no excitement... You know from the start that this episode is going to end with Gin winning the fight and returning the next episode unscathed, so any sense of "danger" that should have been there is absent. It's basically "oh no look out, spiderdude's so stupidly powerful, but don't worry that was a lie spiderdude is not actually powerful at all and Gin will save the day yet again HURR DURR". Spiderdude's face was retarded as well. Why would his eyeballs grow to massive proportions just because he burnt his face? What the hell is the point of a fake face if you tear half of it off and walk around looking like a freak? HOW THE HELL DOES A FEW STRINGS GIVE HIM THE ABILITY TO FUCKING FLY!?

4/10 from me. I can't stand these kinds of "action" scenes. It feels like it's made to appeal to a twelve year old. Yeah, pretty much everyone and their dog will disagree with me, but whatever. That's my opinion.
LarasoFeb 20, 2014 11:39 AM
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
Oct 4, 2014 2:03 PM

Apr 2014
The black and white motif worked, but not to the extent that they used it. The green & black one I didn't like so much.
Still very well done overall, because Gin's speeches hit the spot every damn time ;v; It made me tear up so much.
Nov 4, 2014 8:35 PM

Jul 2013
dammit Gin-san how badass can you get? I was jumping in excitement the whole time! anyway I really want to know more about his master... he seems like a great person.
Nov 19, 2014 8:45 PM

Feb 2009
Laraso said:
Why would his eyeballs grow to massive proportions just because he burnt his face? What the hell is the point of a fake face if you tear half of it off and walk around looking like a freak?

The eyeballs appear this big because he burned off his eyelids. Check out anatomical images of a face without the skin, it'll look approximately like that. I agree with you though, him burning off his face made no sense whatsoever. Apart from needing a lid replacement to keep his eyes from drying out, the terrible damage and long healing process would have put a major dent in his ninja career.

And yes, this arc was pretty sub-par - although Gin-chan's speech at the end managed to get to me (like it usually does) I wasn't a fan of the story. Everything seemed so cobbled together or paint-by-numbers, with Naruto-style villain abilities (or maybe Inu Yasha), and I couldn't get behind the villain's motivations at all - it all seemed very random, as did his backstory and his sister's reasoning. And I was very ambivalent about the either woman OR fighter theme - I'm pretty sure it's not really meant as a "make me a sammich" thing, and Gintama especially has a ton of pretty strong women that don't always fall into just one category, but it still felt like pandering to a shonen crowd. I felt Tsukuyo was being de-badassed this time around. Kinda apprehensive of the next episode, it doesn't look good for her. ._.
Dec 17, 2014 12:28 PM

Jun 2014
Always a sad back story for every antagonist that makes the audience feel empathetic.

Loved the black and white animation and the intense fight scene.

Jan 6, 2015 2:31 AM

Oct 2013
I really like how they are shedding bits of Gintoki's mysterious past along with Tsukuyo's arc. Gintoki and Yoshida's relationship is parallel to Tsukuyo's and Jiraia.

Shota Gin is so cute lol. Loved to see his and Shouyou's first meeting.
Gintoki vs Jiraia was BA as fuck. Gin owning Jiraia like no tomorrow getting his hand pierced by Jiraia's kunai yet the same kunai is stabbed inside in Jiraia's hand and Gintoki slashing Jiraia the same way he did to Hosen.

The way they are flashing Gintoki and Yoshida's flashbacks are great. No wonder this arc feels great even though its quite small and the battle in not that much on a large scale.

Well, that was too much dialogue from Jiraia. I never expected that this was the pain he was burdening but it was unnecessary imo. In the end, I do feel bad for him but glad that he was forgiven by Tsukuyo...sort of I guess, she called him Master again and so I assume this.

I hope Zenzou gets sufficient screentime from now on. Loved how he was a BRO to Gintoki in this arc. :)

I wonder what did Gintoki meant when he replied to Zenzou "...Same here."
Jan 19, 2015 9:17 AM

Aug 2013
The mentor and apprentice bond really is a strong one, when after all that happened, she can still take her mentor on her shoulder and show him the moon one last time. I guess he also saw in some ways the reincarnation of his sister in her. It was pretty touching I must admit, even if he was one bloodthirsty killer.

Gin-chan giving life lesson through his sword. I reeeeeally wanna know more about his past, from how he passed from an orphelin, to a warrior, to a lazy peaceful samurai.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
May 18, 2015 5:19 AM

Sep 2013
Nuvi said:
I wonder what did Gintoki meant when he replied to Zenzou "...Same here."
Taka-usugi once said that the world took away their (usugi, katsura, gintoki) master so I'm assuming Gin and fellow students never got the chance to do the same for their master.
Jul 8, 2015 11:18 AM

Jan 2015
Beautiful episode, I'm tearing up so much right now.
Sep 30, 2015 7:45 PM
Nov 2014
Such a touching episode, Gintama always has sad back past story for the villains :x
Oct 2, 2015 3:55 AM

Apr 2015
I was hooked the entire time watching this episode. The way the artstyle kept changing may be off-putting to some but to me it was really engaging. Possibly my favourite episode of the series.
Oct 10, 2015 9:14 AM

Dec 2012
Beautiful episode, the changing of artstyle was great. I changed my mind, this one was epic.
Finally we saw a little of the Gintoki's past ! Really interesting, I want to know more things about him.
The first part was awesome, all the sentences of Gintoki and his behavior were great.
Nov 1, 2015 11:55 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Why do I end up sympathizing the Gintama villains at the end. I liked the different art styles used in the episode. The beginning black and white and the fight one looked like an animated manga; beautiful. The blurry effect to show Jiraia's speed was great. The green and black art was okay.

5/5
Dec 19, 2015 12:50 AM

Mar 2015
I don't find these kind of arcs funny, amusing, or touching. :/
Mar 3, 2016 9:05 PM

Jul 2012
I loved this episode, it was actually touching. I was adamant that Jiraia could die a horrible death and I wouldn't care, his fake motives were still fucked up.
Tsukuyo triumps, best student ever.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama Episode 156 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

llamaben - May 7, 2009

117 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Today, 10:29 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Zerachroma - Jun 23, 2008

194 by Seraschi »»
Yesterday, 11:41 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

almozayaf - Jul 28, 2009

95 by SPG_Anima »»
Apr 21, 3:56 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Znote - Oct 3, 2009

107 by DaveyUwU »»
Apr 20, 6:31 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 113 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Randomnamechange - Apr 13, 2009

113 by DigiCat »»
Apr 16, 2:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.