Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Knights of Sidonia
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 12, 2014 10:08 AM

Jan 2013
Loved the atmosphere.
This could end up being fantastic.
Apr 12, 2014 10:17 AM

Jul 2013
UnoPuntoCinco said:
I'll tell you all a secret, mah niggas.

Hajime Isayama is a Tsutomu Nihei's admirer.

Mind = Blown
"Komugi, are you there?"

Apr 12, 2014 10:38 AM

Dec 2012
I thought I would be alone if I said I liked the OP. Haha, turns out I'm not. I don't think I have watched any anime with major CG use like this one and although human movements were a little funny, the action and mecha scenes were great.
People are being too harsh with the anime. Plot seems okay for now. I guess it's the CG and not the standard anime style?? D:
allo
Apr 12, 2014 10:47 AM

Dec 2008
I am feeling this animation! The character design leaves a bit to be desired, but the story seems like it may be an interesting one. I'm always up for space monsters and mecha!

Sent with Mal Updater
Apr 12, 2014 11:14 AM

Nov 2013
OP is great. Premise is interesting, this episode felt more like a shounen though (I don't mean it's bad though).
Looks like I have to get used to the characters though, I thought I was imagining stuff at first but they did use CG on characters. Will be interesting to see how it goes.
Overall, great episode 4/5

Side note: 3rd gender? Wth...
Apr 12, 2014 11:31 AM

Jun 2012
Pretty good so far, which is quite an unexpected surprise since I hate cg.
Apr 12, 2014 12:05 PM
Feb 2013
RediceRyan said:
Loved the atmosphere.
This could end up being fantastic.

True..I would say it's the best in creating an atmosphere of all anime this season...if mushishi didn't came out.

Ah, the weird, nostalgic, calm atmospheric feeling that one evokes is unparalleled.

Ok, it's another kind of 'feel', but still.
Apr 12, 2014 1:11 PM

Jun 2011
That was pretty good, I still don't know what this is about other than some monsters extermination. I didn't like the shadow/shading, it didn't match with the objects, it felt weird. The OP singer has a nice voice.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 12, 2014 3:21 PM

Jan 2009
Great OP by Angela and interesting setting / animation.

The artwork reminded me a lot of Yamato and also Planetes with that more realistic interpretation of space.
Apr 12, 2014 3:23 PM

Jan 2014
Love the story.
The animation style was nice, but it's kinda hard for me to differentiate one character from another~
Apr 12, 2014 3:53 PM
Mar 2012
skyzblue said:
Nilvius said:

Also, Blame anime never ;_;

Don't give up on it just yet. I'm sure a kind benevolent production company (Madhouse) will adapt it one day.
#We_need_Blame

One can always hope right?
Apr 12, 2014 3:54 PM
Mar 2012
shanimebib said:
Probably the best first episode of all the anime I am following this season. How strange is that I wasn't at all interested in either Haikyuu!! or Sidonia no Kishi yet after watching the first episodes, both turned out to be standout shows of the season.

Since the Japanese title can be abbreviated to SnK, here are some slight similarities with certain other anime that happened to have won a number of awards last year:

1) Monsters re-appearing/attacking after a hundred year hiatus
2) Only a certain way to kill the monsters
3) Monsters disintegrate after being killed
4) Special weapons are developed for meeting that purpose alone
5) Best OP of the season

Anyways, I already got used to the character design. I think the environment helped, and since the anime seems promising I decided not to let the animation style bother me. :)

Haha, i'm actually looking for a fan rivarly between the two shows. There are so many other simililarities other than that as well, it's so perfect that they are across different spectrums of time (future vs past)
Apr 12, 2014 3:56 PM
Mar 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
This will probably end up being the largely under appreciated great show of the season for me.

Let's at least be happy that nihei got his work animated. I wish they'd pick up his cyberpunk work though, but that goes over people's heads I guess.

I plan on going cult on this show, I'm really convinced that it's a gem.
Apr 12, 2014 4:07 PM

Oct 2007
the animation in this show gave me motion sickness, idk why :/ makes me kinda upset b/c i loved the first ep otherwise.
Apr 12, 2014 4:25 PM

Apr 2013
That cliffhanger tho...
Apr 12, 2014 4:39 PM

Jun 2013
ashlelouch said:
That was fucking great.
So pissed at the rating on MAL.

Yeah like I said in another thread, take whatever score this show gets and add 2 to it to find the actual score. This show was doomed to be scored low because of the cgi haters (as you can see from all the crying children in this thread).
Apr 12, 2014 5:52 PM

Jun 2010
so why isn't this in mecha genre? come on mal
Apr 12, 2014 6:45 PM

Nov 2007
this was kinda weird. a 3rd gender? those girls that all looked exactly the same? the people with the masks? the death topic?

the animation /op/ed was top notch though.

seems worth keeping up with.
Apr 12, 2014 8:27 PM

Aug 2012
mystik said:
this was kinda weird. a 3rd gender? those girls that all looked exactly the same? the people with the masks? the death topic?

the animation /op/ed was top notch though.

seems worth keeping up with.

Let me clarify some things for you:

1) Why not? It's the future!
2) Yes. It's supposed to be this way.
3) The people with masks are part of the immortal ship committee.
4) You mean the biothermal reactor?
Apr 12, 2014 10:16 PM
Feb 2012
AlphardMercuria said:
Love the story.
The animation style was nice, but it's kinda hard for me to differentiate one character from another~

Quite a few of them are clones so that's intended.
Apr 12, 2014 11:35 PM

Jan 2010
The future of anime.
Apr 12, 2014 11:37 PM

Nov 2013
The CG looks fucking terrible, dropped after two minutes.
Apr 13, 2014 12:39 AM

Jan 2008
Looks interesting but the CG were horrible ( ゚д゚)
Apr 13, 2014 12:47 AM

Dec 2011
I felt really awkward with this CG...
But I liked it, anyway.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 13, 2014 2:29 AM

Jul 2007
ex_necross said:
ashlelouch said:
That was fucking great.
So pissed at the rating on MAL.

Yeah like I said in another thread, take whatever score this show gets and add 2 to it to find the actual score. This show was doomed to be scored low because of the cgi haters (as you can see from all the crying children in this thread).

Because its cool to hate everything non-2d~

let's forget that 99% of anime is computer generated anyway nowadays
Apr 13, 2014 5:21 AM

Aug 2008
So, this show is what others call Shingeki no Kyojin in Space, in short, the SnK of 2014.
The CGs were kinda weird especially the characters. It made the show look like a video game. haha
I'm kinda confused whether Izana is physically a hermaphrodite or not because she mentioned that their bodies adapt whether they are physically in contact with a male or female. lol
I really hope this show will live up to its hype. It has the potential to be the one of the best of this season.
"Everyone wears their own panties inside their heart" - Kousaku Hata

Apr 13, 2014 5:30 AM

Dec 2012
OP needs more German
Apr 13, 2014 6:45 AM
Nov 2012
I loved how true this is staying to the manga so far. It must have been hard for them to convey Nihei's art style in animation form since it's so dark and gritty. But I must say they have done an EXCELLENT job, and i'm so hyped for the next episode.
Apr 13, 2014 7:59 AM
Mar 2012
AlphardMercuria said:
Love the story.

I felt similarly. It fits well with the dystopian atmosphere, but hopefully it won't cause problems down the line.

I didn't like the choppy animation. It was probably done for time or cost reasons, but it gave a low-budget feel to the episode. It's doubly disappointing because it's CG, which can easily be much smoother than traditional anime (see RWBY as an example). When the pink-haired girls appeared to all look the same, I had to wonder if that was also a low-budget issue or if it was intentional (because they were clones). It's those little things that detract from the viewing experience, pulling you out of the series and making you question what you're seeing for the wrong reasons.

Still, the settings are great and I love the mecha. Happily following.
Apr 13, 2014 8:37 AM

Oct 2011
the story and seiyuu were enjoyable, but that cg made me want to claw my eyes out.............too much cg leaves me feeling like i'm watching a video game - how i pine for the days of non-digitized cell animation.........
Apr 13, 2014 8:47 AM

Jul 2011
Great first episode! I'm loving it so much!
Apr 13, 2014 11:57 AM

Apr 2012
Phew, this was very special. It's hard to get used to it but I like the adult style. I guess I will continue watching it
Apr 13, 2014 1:11 PM

Feb 2013
Man, the pacing is like, I don't know exactly what's going on, but I'm very interested to find out. Attractive aesthetics, OST, and the storytelling seems like it will be good.
Apr 13, 2014 1:11 PM

Dec 2007
Ledgem said:

I didn't like the choppy animation. It was probably done for time or cost reasons, but it gave a low-budget feel to the episode. It's doubly disappointing because it's CG, which can easily be much smoother than traditional anime (see RWBY as an example).

Really? I couldn't even watch RWBY because of the animation and in this I hardly took notice of it.
Apr 13, 2014 1:19 PM

Jun 2013
I like how some people think the CG is terrible, cheap, and choppy while other people think it's awesome and almost movie quality. Easy to tell the bandwagoners who just hate CG because it's CG and those who are open minded.

The most ironic part is that practically every anime released in the past 10 years is CG.
Apr 13, 2014 2:05 PM

Jul 2007
Earwen said:
Ledgem said:

I didn't like the choppy animation. It was probably done for time or cost reasons, but it gave a low-budget feel to the episode. It's doubly disappointing because it's CG, which can easily be much smoother than traditional anime (see RWBY as an example).

Really? I couldn't even watch RWBY because of the animation and in this I hardly took notice of it.

This.

RWBY had great action and character designs but oh my fuck was the actual animation of the CGI awful. This is easily on levels of Transformers Prime.
Apr 13, 2014 3:24 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Photosynthetic humans and futanari. Sound like there's a bright future ahead of us.
About the CG, I have no issue with it, the real issue is the animation which gets kinda choppy at times. It was a good chapter though, liked the setting with big mze-like cylindrical city.
Apr 13, 2014 3:57 PM
Jul 2018
hooked.
Apr 13, 2014 4:05 PM
Oct 2012
BatoKusanagi said:
Photosynthetic humans and futanari. Sound like there's a bright future ahead of us.

Not futanari, not even hermaphrodites. With men they become women, with women they become men. But yeah, not the happiest future. Seems like the "enemy" has pushed humanity to the brink, will be fun to see how they develop this from here on out.
Apr 13, 2014 4:28 PM

Jul 2012
The CGI became amazing when I watched the episode with SVP.

So far, the series seems to be a "real robot" mecha, with some hard sci-fi mixed in. Excited to see some Gauna fighting next episode!
Apr 13, 2014 5:19 PM

Feb 2013
That Angela OP is a bit overpowering for this anime.

The obvious: Bad CG is bad. (battle CG is fine)

Bad CG aside... It was a decent/interesting first episode... but it would have been better if they intensified the space-horror vibes.
Apr 13, 2014 5:27 PM

Mar 2012
I wasn't expecting that at all, i'm already addicted.
Apr 13, 2014 5:33 PM

Jun 2013
BurntJelly said:
That Angela OP is a bit overpowering for this anime.

The obvious: Bad CG is bad. (battle CG is fine)

Bad CG aside... It was a decent/interesting first episode... but it would have been better if they intensified the space-horror vibes.

That's definitely not the obvious, but rather your opinion.
Apr 13, 2014 9:29 PM

Jun 2013
Whoooaaaaaaa.

If you ask me, there was virtually no characterization. I hope they can build up the emotional aspect so that we can actually feel something for the characters. But the world itself is far out there. THIS is a cool universe to really get your inner sci-fi junkie excited. Biothermal reactors. Third sex. Clones. Civil unrest. Humans and photosynthesis? Ruled by the undead? Badass mecha launching sequences. Frightening looking baddies. Fingers broken backwards, lol.

Plus, all of these details were introduced so NATURALLY. No damn lengthy monologues of characters just spouting information.

I'm already used to the CG here after watching (and loving) Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio. In fact, I think it look GREAT here. Totally works with the atmosphere.

That ED is so groovin', too.

I'm excited.
-Trippwire-Apr 13, 2014 9:37 PM
Apr 13, 2014 10:14 PM

May 2009
Third sex and bear nurses? If this is going to be the future count me out of it. Looking forward to see how this anime actually develops. Also did anyone read the recommendations...lol.
Apr 13, 2014 10:40 PM

Sep 2011
Trippwire01 said:
Whoooaaaaaaa.

If you ask me, there was virtually no characterization. I hope they can build up the emotional aspect so that we can actually feel something for the characters.

The world definitely builds quite a bit.
The characters..... well.....

Characterization really does take a back-seat to everything else. Like, brief glimpses are seen every now and then, especially in the ladies, with jealousy and whatnot. A lot of characters are introduced, and I still get them confused.

The manga is very very minimal when it comes to dialogue. Not as sparse as it could be, but definitely on the lower side.

Either way though.... I'd still say to stick with it; I'm through 6 volumes of the manga, and waiting to buy more, and really, it goes.... places.
Not sure if the direction is all too good yet, but the world really is pretty darn cool.

I will say though, that there are around 2-3 fight scenes (ranging from SUPER short, to fairly long) per volume, and often, a lot of information is thrown out during these. Come volume 6 or something though, I really don't know where the manga is going, BUT I know it's going SOMEWHERE.

Errr, anyway, I hope everyone enjoys it! I still have to watch the first episode now!
Apr 13, 2014 11:02 PM

Aug 2007
> bear nurses

It's a Nihei thing. I'd imagine it will confuse most people, but us fans of BLAME! and other Nihei works recognize the inside joke and can appreciate it.
Apr 14, 2014 12:22 AM

Nov 2012
The first serie was not bad. Pretty much, what I think. Loved the atmosphere, this was great. I think it was a bit like a Robert A. Heinlein book - "Orphans of the Sky". CGI looks some strange, but otherwise really good.
P.S. OP by Angela is absolutely great!
Apr 14, 2014 4:17 AM

Apr 2013
loving the OP and ED, unique art fits the dystopian ambiance.
Apr 14, 2014 12:08 PM

Mar 2014
I'm not a fan of the CGI characters, I think it takes away from their facial expressions. And it was kinda hard to tell the characters apart. Some animation seemed a bit choppy (when the MC crawled out of the hole in the rice factory) Like it had a low framerate. Guess this will take some getting used to.

The CGI worked pretty well for the environment, the mecha's and the suits the pilots were wearing. Nice use of textures

But the setting and atmosphere really impressed me. Good episode.I'm usually against 3D animation in anime but I'll gladly give this a chance

The OP was amazing

LauraBirdieApr 14, 2014 12:22 PM
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2014

228 by OlaEdu »»
Yesterday, 5:14 AM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2014

135 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 1:33 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2014

112 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 12:57 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2014

117 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 12:14 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2014

163 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 11:27 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.