Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 28, 2014 8:48 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm , I think WUG need more confidence for the upcoming festival. Well they are practicing still...

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8~
Oh Mayu ;.;

I think people are just expecting a lot out of her considering she was a former member of I-1 and they don't want her to ruin the reputation she previously built up.
Stark700Feb 28, 2014 10:54 AM
Feb 28, 2014 11:13 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
WUG really needs to put more effort into training. 1-1 club is doing very good because they train every day for hours and hours. Dedication is what WUG lacks. For one Mayu as former 1-1 Club member needs to be the leader and establish order in the group. Idols need to be focused at all times and right now he was right when he said WUG would not even make it past preliminaries.

If the group doesn't want to train harder and harder then they should leave. Giving results while practicing more than 100% is the key to success. Once that IDOL event comes around WUG will be facing other idol groups that will be better than WUG. How does WUG aspire to be better than 1-1 Club if they don't put more effort and practicing into their routines.

Feb 28, 2014 11:37 AM

May 2013
Airi is practicing really hard. Mayu realizing that they need to practice more, since she is a for I-1 member, So she knows what it takes.
Feb 28, 2014 11:51 AM

Feb 2014
they need moarrrr practice and some briefing after practice so they can fully understand each other, yet they still half-hearted (except mayu), i think kaya is the one who's understand all of them. and so nice idea suggesting an overnight trip to strengthen their friendship.
Feb 28, 2014 12:31 PM
Oct 2012
Good episode, they ratcheted things up and brought back some of that edge.

Also have a theory as to where this show is going to go. They once again brought up how strict I-1 is, and the idea that people like idols because of their focus. But that isn't true: of course talent and skill are important, but people like idols because they identify with them. I-1 is technically brilliant, but watching them is like watching a machine. I think this is where WUG will have their edge, they may not be able to be "better" than I-1, but they could prove to be more popular because people can identify with them.

They also showed that the I-1 producer is still obsessed with Mayu. I can think of a couple paths, but my hope is that he had issues with Mayu becoming too popular, groups like AKB "graduate" idols who are becoming too popular, so I think that he tried to clip her wings, but she quit on him. Being the control freak that he is, this is something he cannot tolerate. This would be why the show him firing so many of the team members, imagine how he would feel if his number one idol (and it is clear he acknowledges Mayu's talent) quit on him instead of vice versa.

Anyway those were my thoughts. As for the episode, good to see Yoppi starting to act like a leader, she is starting to fit into the role (not the direction I thought they would go, but they are doing it well so no complaints), nice to Airi make Nanami start thinking about things, and nice to finally see Mayu drop her fake smile for a change. Have a feeling that Mayu's confession will come next week, its the thing they need to push the group over the top. Smart idea having an overnighter, she knows that they need more connection.
Takuan_SohoFeb 28, 2014 6:03 PM
Feb 28, 2014 1:09 PM

Sep 2011
Meh, was okay. Practice, practice, practice can sum up this episode. Also, 99% of the group is taking this half-ass. 20 hrs a week for a Idol group, lol.
Feb 28, 2014 2:10 PM

Jun 2012
Was I the only one that felt the end of this episode was insanely abrupt?
Feb 28, 2014 2:35 PM
Jul 2018
WUG needed to put more of their efforts into trainings.
Feb 28, 2014 3:53 PM
Jul 2013
Idols Festival, hear exciting.
Feb 28, 2014 4:10 PM

Jan 2014
After seeing Airi practice, I agree with Hayasaka that she doesn't have the talent for this (If I remember correctly). Though without a doubt she is trying

Also that CG during the I-1 practicing....... wow they looked like mannequins.

rebpanda said:
Was I the only one that felt the end of this episode was insanely abrupt?

I totally thought the same thing. It didn't have that 'cliffhanger' feel ending that they usually have and was just rather sudden.
Feb 28, 2014 5:37 PM

Aug 2013
I wanted to slap Yoppi when she said I-1 has nothing to do with them. Hello? I-1 has everything to do with WUG. They're the bar that every idol group aspires to reach, surpass even. If you ask me, Mayu should have been more strict with them. They're lucky they have a cream of the crop center who knows what's what. If WUG continues with their half-assed practices, it will end up as Shimada Mayu and Friends not WUG.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Feb 28, 2014 5:49 PM

Jul 2009
Feb 28, 2014 5:58 PM

Oct 2012
This will end in failure. But they are dragging her secret almost too long right now, they need to come up with some reconcilliation already. Let's hope that overnight trip next time will shed some light on the matter.

xchee said:
I wanted to slap Yoppi when she said I-1 has nothing to do with them. Hello? I-1 has everything to do with WUG. They're the bar that every idol group aspires to reach, surpass even. If you ask me, Mayu should have been more strict with them. They're lucky they have a cream of the crop center who knows what's what. If WUG continues with their half-assed practices, it will end up as Shimada Mayu and Friends not WUG.

I concur. I know that idol world is hard. But Yoppi was right at that. She shouldn't drag I-1 practices into WUG, that's the reason she left in the first place. But I guess the girls there are brainwashed so masterfully they even believe there is no other way. But there always is. 20 hours a week is more then enough for their training. They should rather focus at their mutual relationship as that's half of their success (if they are feeling down nothing good will come of it that's for sure).
Feb 28, 2014 6:21 PM

Oct 2013
After watching episode 6 I commented:

"I agree that it appears the producer is testing WUG to see if they will stick together as a unit. It's also interesting that I-1 appears to have noticed WUG. Maybe the producer is deliberately developing WUG to be rivals of I-1? Rivalries have often been used to increase publicity in the entertainment industry."

The meeting between Hayasaka and the manager of I-1 seems to confirm my suspicion regarding Hayasaka's motives in training WUG.
Feb 28, 2014 6:25 PM
Oct 2012
xchee said:

It's not that Mayu was wrong, it was that she was right for the wrong reasons. She was right, they do have to practice harder, however their having to practice harder has nothing to do with I-1. They should want to practice harder because they are professionals and its what they need to do, not because someone else does it. So in this case Yoppi was completely right, she accurately understood where the group was at, and she accurately figured out that Mayu was reacted to what the I-1 girl said while pretending that wasn't the reason.

In short, Mayu is being selfish. Being part of a group under intense pressure (as all groups are) requires that the team trust one another, but Mayu doesn't trust the other members. Last episode Yoppi laid herself out to keep Airi in the group, Yoppi was the one to confess her faults (as Airi has done), Mayu hasn't done that. Until she does that there is a wall in the group that everyone else recognizes (but will not admit to since they can't deal with Mayu because of their respect/fear of her).

This is why Nanami has no issues with leaving the group, she doesn't feel the connection. She isn't committed because the other members are not committed, and they are not committed because deep down they all know that they are not a group, but as you said, and Yoppi knows, it is Mayu and the others, not WUG. Mayu is the only person who can breech that wall; Yoppi properly nailed the issue.

This show has really done a good job at building things up. 3 or 4 episodes before the female producer said that they needed to fight more, they do which is why she is planning the overnight trip. People only fight for things they care about, and right now the group as whole doesn't. Airi does, she is fighting to overcome her lack of talent; Yoppi does, she is fighting to become a true leader; but until Mayu breaks out of her self drama the others won't (the I-1 producer summed this up when he asked Mayu to sing, and said that she only had an idol's voice (i.e. she didn't have her own voice) - they have also shown this by always having Mayu having that fake smile).

Until Mayu gets over being a "former I-1" idol and becomes a WUG idol (which is more than just singing and dancing, its the mindset), WUG is zombie. They have the body parts, but no beating heart.

Trust the writers here. They are building up to a good ending. It may just be me, but when I watched the movie I could actually see that Mayu was better. If you feel the same way, then we should be in for a treat when the true Mayu is finally revealed.
Feb 28, 2014 7:14 PM

Aug 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
xchee said:

It's not that Mayu was wrong, it was that she was right for the wrong reasons. She was right, they do have to practice harder, however their having to practice harder has nothing to do with I-1. They should want to practice harder because they are professionals and its what they need to do, not because someone else does it. So in this case Yoppi was completely right, she accurately understood where the group was at, and she accurately figured out that Mayu was reacted to what the I-1 girl said while pretending that wasn't the reason.

You may be right but how do you think she should have said it then? Even if she didn't mention I-1, I think the only people who actually understand how badly they're doing (barring Hayasaka) would be Mayu and to some extent, Airi. If Yoppi understoond, as a leader, she should have pointed out the fact that they're not doing well. Can't blame Hayasaka for going off when Kaya said they're doing their best.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Feb 28, 2014 7:31 PM
Oct 2012
xchee said:

You may be right but how do you think she should have said it then? Even if she didn't mention I-1, I think the only people who actually understand how badly they're doing (barring Hayasaka) would be Mayu and to some extent, Airi. If Yoppi understoond, as a leader, she should have pointed out the fact that they're not doing well. Can't blame Hayasaka for going off when Kaya said they're doing their best.

But see, there in lies the problem. Yoppi could have told the other five to work harder, but no matter how hard the other five work, WUG will not be popular. Yoppi is the only person who knows who Mayu was merely by seeing her (as shown in the movie), so Yoppi is smart enough to know that they need Mayu. However, they don't need a Mayu who is living in the past, they need a Mayu who is embracing the future.

I had thought they were going to use Yoppi differently, but now I know that whoever is the writer has a better vision. Yoppi is a failed talent, though she succeeded as a child actor, she couldn't break into the big time (also shown in the movie), this makes her extremely sensitive to how difficult becoming successful is (and how much is up to luck). Getting the other members to practice harder means nothing if Mayu is not fully engaged, so that is why she went after Mayu. In short, Yoppi is becoming a true leader - not the center, or the most talented person, but the one who keeps the group together.
Feb 28, 2014 7:41 PM

Jun 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
xchee said:

In short, Mayu is being selfish. Being part of a group under intense pressure (as all groups are) requires that the team trust one another, but Mayu doesn't trust the other members. Last episode Yoppi laid herself out to keep Airi in the group, Yoppi was the one to confess her faults (as Airi has done), Mayu hasn't done that. Until she does that there is a wall in the group that everyone else recognizes (but will not admit to since they can't deal with Mayu because of their respect/fear of her).

This is why Nanami has no issues with leaving the group, she doesn't feel the connection. She isn't committed because the other members are not committed, and they are not committed because deep down they all know that they are not a group, but as you said, and Yoppi knows, it is Mayu and the others, not WUG. Mayu is the only person who can breech that wall; Yoppi properly nailed the issue.

This show has really done a good job at building things up. 3 or 4 episodes before the female producer said that they needed to fight more, they do which is why she is planning the overnight trip. People only fight for things they care about, and right now the group as whole doesn't. Airi does, she is fighting to overcome her lack of talent; Yoppi does, she is fighting to become a true leader; but until Mayu breaks out of her self drama the others won't (the I-1 producer summed this up when he asked Mayu to sing, and said that she only had an idol's voice (i.e. she didn't have her own voice) - they have also shown this by always having Mayu having that fake smile).

Until Mayu gets over being a "former I-1" idol and becomes a WUG idol (which is more than just singing and dancing, its the mindset), WUG is zombie. They have the body parts, but no beating heart.

Trust the writers here. They are building up to a good ending. It may just be me, but when I watched the movie I could actually see that Mayu was better. If you feel the same way, then we should be in for a treat when the true Mayu is finally revealed.

Dude, every week after WUG aired, I will always find you. Thanks for the explanation.
"Children of Japan. And those who were once children. Listen! This is not a dream. This is not fiction. In reality, your superheroes were always fighting. To teach viewers courage and the meaning of justice! No matter how many enemies there are. No matter how strong evil is. Just remember. Does any another country have so many heroes? Has any another country been protected by multiple superheroes? Stand with me, friends! Remember when you used to watch your superheroes!
Once you may have given up this dream. But today, you can be a hero!"

- Kaname Jouji , Red Axe

Feb 28, 2014 9:17 PM
Mar 2012
Now time to wait for the idol festival. Admittedly enough, I do believe WUG should try harder even though I can sympathize that they are a new group.
Feb 28, 2014 9:47 PM

Apr 2013
I noticed more production problems in this episode compared to the others. It could just be me, but it really looked like the episode wasn't completely finished. For instance, the 3d models during the I-1 practice looked horrible. Also, during the scene where the girls are all talking in the Green Leaves office and Nanami is sitting down, there were a couple of weird things. At one point her mouth just vanished, yet every other girl had a mouth. In another shot her neck was also too long. Then there was the shot where Mayu was talking to Airi at the dance studio. There's a bit without any animation where Airi goes from one pose to another instantly and her head radically changes sizes. Finally, when you see the trees in the background when the girls are outside of the studio at the end of the episode, the background looked like a blurry, unfinished mess. I noticed some other things, but those were the main offenders. I guess that's why Yamamoto needed some more people. Although the show's had some problems, it's never looked this bad before. Hopefully, they'll fix it for the BDs.
Feb 28, 2014 10:25 PM

Nov 2012
another trouble within the group.. and nanami wants to leave.

the art & animation looked really sloppy this episode..
Feb 28, 2014 10:32 PM

Jun 2013
WUG really do need to work harder.
Although I love Yoppi and Mayu both, I agree with Mayu on this one. I-1 is every idol's "role model". They do have a lot of things to do with WUG.

The animation was a bit sloppy and lazy this episode :c
If you feel attacked, you're part of the problem.

Even if things are painful and tough, people should appreciate what it means to be alive at all. — Yato
Mar 1, 2014 2:01 AM

Jan 2011
this show is starting to feel more and more like Natsuiro Kiseki all over again and not in a good way

at this rate i wouldn't be surprised if they end up disbanding in the end
Mar 1, 2014 6:34 AM

Feb 2013
That end seemed abrupt....

Good episode. Can't wait for more :)
Mar 1, 2014 7:09 AM

Jul 2013
Whoa.. are they planning to tackle every girl's problem before becoming a famous idol group? not that I mind but there are only 4 episodes left. This show definitely needs a 2nd season (12 episode would never be enough to cover an idol anime, Love Live proved it). I just hope the end of this 1st season isn't such a cliffhanger. At the very least I'd like to know why Mayu quit I-1.
Mar 1, 2014 7:47 AM

Nov 2008
I dont think its a simple Mayu or Yoppi is right.. in all honestly both are right and both are wrong
Mar 1, 2014 8:48 AM

May 2010
Nice episode, liked the parts when Yoshino snapped at Mayu. Their friendship is deepening.
Mar 1, 2014 1:02 PM

Feb 2014
Riez said:
Takuan_Soho said:
xchee said:

Dude, every week after WUG aired, I will always find you. Thanks for the explanation.

same here ^^ i always searching for his explanations
Mar 1, 2014 7:46 PM

Feb 2013
It's nice to see Mayu helping a bit more to push the group harder to be better.
Mar 1, 2014 9:43 PM

Sep 2012
I'm guessing most people here have been watching via Crunchyroll, so here's a question: is anyone else having parts that cut out on them? At the end when Matsuda is talking about them breaking apart it suddenly cut off mid-sentence and the words "To Be Continued" were on the screen.
And its not just this title that its happening to. Several others have done the same.
Still looking for those droids, sir....
Mar 1, 2014 10:35 PM

Jul 2012
I felt Mayu's frustration since they're all half-hearted about it and speaking like naive dreamers. In short, not acting professional at all.
However, I understand why that's the case since everyone apart from Mayu are just rookies. Only Mayu has been exposed to the professional idol life. She is already an idol. Everyone else is still playing catch up. That's bound to bring about conflict and disagreement.
They need to learn to trust each other.
Next episode will show deepening friendships, finally showing WUG as a united idol group and let all secrets out in the open. Hopefully :)

Also, I'm kinda worried since there's only 4 episodes left. So many things left to resolv explanations needed and I want to see WUG build their idol careers. I hope they won't rush any thing important or leave things out.
Mar 2, 2014 1:49 AM

Jun 2012
AsherFischell said:
I noticed more production problems in this episode compared to the others. It could just be me, but it really looked like the episode wasn't completely finished. For instance, the 3d models during the I-1 practice looked horrible. Also, during the scene where the girls are all talking in the Green Leaves office and Nanami is sitting down, there were a couple of weird things. At one point her mouth just vanished, yet every other girl had a mouth. In another shot her neck was also too long. Then there was the shot where Mayu was talking to Airi at the dance studio. There's a bit without any animation where Airi goes from one pose to another instantly and her head radically changes sizes. Finally, when you see the trees in the background when the girls are outside of the studio at the end of the episode, the background looked like a blurry, unfinished mess. I noticed some other things, but those were the main offenders. I guess that's why Yamamoto needed some more people. Although the show's had some problems, it's never looked this bad before. Hopefully, they'll fix it for the BDs.

This! The part of the I-1 practice was especially bad in my opinion. The animation quality wasn't really high to begin with, but I think you're right in saying it was the worst of the series, I did notice more flaws than before.
Mar 2, 2014 1:51 AM
Sep 2013
they need to fight more and reveal all of their each problems so the group can continue. 20 hours a week means they only had less than 3 hours to practice, which was too short.

BIGMercenary said:
I'm guessing most people here have been watching via Crunchyroll, so here's a question: is anyone else having parts that cut out on them? At the end when Matsuda is talking about them breaking apart it suddenly cut off mid-sentence and the words "To Be Continued" were on the screen.
And its not just this title that its happening to. Several others have done the same.

i also think so, its rare for this series to have such ending
Mar 2, 2014 3:44 AM
Jul 2018
Ow, they're not working as hard as I'd hoped. Fingers crossed it doesn't go off the rails.

And Airi is now the best girl.
Mar 2, 2014 5:49 AM

Apr 2011
They really need to practice more. It's just not enough to win the preliminaries.

And what's up with the abrupt ending?
Mar 3, 2014 1:16 AM

Sep 2012
hahailham1
i also think so, its rare for this series to have such ending[/quote said:

I don't mean the sudden "To be continued." I mean like a problem with uploading or processing the episode. Scenes are cut short by seconds for no reason. This has happened in a few other shows I've watched. I'm wondering if its just me or is anyone else getting these kinds of problems on Crunchyroll.
MarconeAnteliusMar 4, 2014 10:21 PM
Still looking for those droids, sir....
Mar 4, 2014 6:20 PM
Aug 2013
mayu, i hope she can tell why she out from I-1 in next ep
yoppi too emotional for a leader, indirect mayu want win idol festival because her chat with I-1 center
will be another tears in next ep? we'll see
Mar 4, 2014 8:39 PM

Oct 2011
Do your best WUG!!!!
Mar 4, 2014 9:30 PM

Jan 2013
more idol drama. Not bad, but not that interesting.
Mar 6, 2014 12:33 AM

Dec 2008
Catching up after leaving this for a while, I dislike that the pacing's still ass but at least they're finally touching on the subject that's basically been the heart of the series from the get-go. Mayu should have been playing this role throughout the series instead of keeping quiet the whole time personally, her experiences with I-1 would've helped put a lot of things put into perspective honestly.

Also can't believe Matsuda's still friggin' useless but as long as WUG and Mayu finally confront Mayu's past, I think that's all that matters.
Will I fall in love someday? I wonder?

Mar 6, 2014 6:49 PM

Jul 2008
There are still members that are not even serious about being IN WUG. They really don't stand much of a change at the preliminaries.

What I am most worried about is that even when we get to the Idol Festival, we won't get any good song/dance numbers. The most we will get is like close ups of their faces during the song and then showing their feet move a little or something. Which is disappointing for an idol anime, where the hook has to come from the music or the characters. And this show isn't really that exciting in either aspect.
Mar 11, 2014 9:12 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

I hate you, kill an anime with a technical quality graphics to life imprisonment is so tiny! D:
Nevertheless, I find the story interesting even with today. Narrative full of pathos, anxiety and frustrations are transmitted so well thanks to the accompaniment of sound.
I wish there was more insight regarding the protagonists.
Mar 12, 2014 6:35 AM

Dec 2011
They needed an extra second before the ED. Just one more second.

The group seems to be separating on where they want to go, and even on if they want to go.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
May 3, 2014 8:28 AM

May 2012
Pretty decent development, with 4 episodes remaining I really wonder what will happen next!
Jun 24, 2014 4:15 PM

Oct 2011
Honestly feels like WUG are never going to get out of this "notworking hard enough and about to fall apart" stage. I hope they start working together properly soon.
Jul 10, 2014 9:53 AM

Aug 2013
This is even frustrating to watch.. urghhh.
Yoshino keep going its time to go home and Mayu fussing about I-1 Club.. pfft.
In addition Nanami going now its my turn to quit after Airi and also Kaya's debut next.
I have a hard time keeping up dayo... but its got solid back story in another sense.
At this pace it'll end with the idol festival.. guess I won't be hearing much songs after all.
It makes me like the short pop music I-1 Club dance to everytime, very catchy LOL.
One thins for sure I can't get used to Matsuda doing nothing considering he's a manager.
Maybe cause I liked Idolm@ster's producer and expect too much.
The girls are the main spotlights anyway.
Jan 27, 2017 7:07 PM

Jul 2014
Looks like this was I-1 workings on the inside with the producer, WUG really is half-assing for an idol festival. Ooh the leader is picking fights.
Apr 29, 2020 10:50 AM

Feb 2018
I really love otaku man
Jun 13, 2021 6:22 AM

Feb 2020
Nice drama between Yoppi and Mayu.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2014

59 by Rakabat »»
Aug 16, 2023 5:59 PM

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2014

107 by koneroko »»
May 2, 2022 11:33 PM

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2014

100 by Serafos »»
Jun 13, 2021 9:20 AM

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2014

40 by Serafos »»
Jun 13, 2021 8:40 AM

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2014

47 by Serafos »»
Jun 13, 2021 6:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.